Fitzgerald avoids “future” talk

Posted by Darren Urban on February 3, 2011 – 2:38 pm

Cardinals receiver Larry Fitzgerald just did an interview with Mike Jurecki and Dan Bickley on XTRA 910 out at the Super Bowl. Since it’s a local show — and both have long-standing relationships with Fitz — who better than to ask him about both his contract situation and his future with the Cardinals?

Yeah, exactly. Fitz was having none of it. When it was suggested he use his leverage to force the Cards to improve, Fitzgerald said “I hate that word, leverage … I’ll be a diva then.”

As I have found myself, Fitz will never be rude about it, but he can’t get away from such questions fast enough. I don’t blame him. The only realistic answer right now is that he probably has to keep his options open, given where the Cardinals’ roster sits, the labor uncertainty and, in a direct impact of Fitz, the situation at quarterback. But where’s the upside in Fitz (who is headed to Israel and Turkey on vacation next week) saying that? I’m guessing he sees none.

Q: People have been writing … (they don’t) think you’re going to be in Arizona. It’ll be tough to keep you.

Fitz: “Naw. You can’t believe rumors like that.”

Q: You have made it clear you want to be on a winning team. This offseason is important for this organization … it’s important you let them know you’re not a guy who tolerates losing.

Fitz: “I’ve been in the playoffs the last two years … We are getting used to something there. To go backwards isn’t something any of us want. We wall want to move in the right direction. I know Coach (Ken) Whisenhunt, it’s been a tough year for him, it’s been a tough year for all of us. We want to get this thing back on the right track.”

Q: What is some of the criteria though to get better …

Fitz: (interrupting): “I’m not a diva like that. It’s not about what I want.”

Q: But you have to have personal goals, things you want to achieve, and if you don’t have the quarterback, it’ll be hard to do, so what are the criteria (you need) …

Fitz: “I’m not setting criteria. I think there are a couple of positions we need to upgrade, we need to continue to improve and add more pieces to the puzzle, and that’s all I’m going to say on that. I’m not trying to call out anybody, I’m not trying to ruffle any feathers. I’m not the GM or the coach. I’m just a guy out there catching passes occasionally.”

Q: Are they (the team) tapping into your perspective with the quarterback situation?

Fitz: “Honestly, I don’t feel comfortable doing that. As a player, there’s a fine line. I love my franchise and I love my coaching staff, but I am still a player at the end of the day. Max Hall is a good friend of mine. John Skelton is a good friend of mine. I really enjoy Rich Bartel. For me to say I want someone to come in and take their job, that’s not right of me.”

Q: Have the Cardinals made you a new contract offer?

Fitz: “What do you mean?”

Q: A contract offer.

Fitz: “We’re discussing some different options … There is dialogue, yes.”

There was a follow-up about whether Fitz would consider talking about a contract into the season if something wasn’t done by say, Aug. 1, and Fitz did a nice job diverting that into the worry about a work stoppage that could eat into the season. He never did answer the original question. He mentioned he wants to bring his fellow wideouts to Minnesota — Steve Breaston, Stephen Williams, Andre Roberts, Max Komar, Early Doucet — if there is a work stoppage to keep them all moving in the right direction.

Here was one line that stood out to me from Fitz: “I don’t want to waste another year.”

Tags: , , , ,

61 Responses to “Fitzgerald avoids “future” talk”

1. By Nick Pepe on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

We should be chest thumping proud to have this young man as a part of our football team. What a class act. It is obvious he was brought up the right way.
    His character outshines his on-field talents, and with his talent that is tough to do.

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member, and come on Spring …hurry the hell up!

2. By JK on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

To me, this sure sounds like Fitz has made his mind up and is looking for his new home! I sure hope that Ken Wiz has his bags packed, because after loosing Fitz and Warner that team is back to the old cardinals taem.

3. By JohnnyV on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

We’re screwed.

4. By cve on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

he is one of our top 3 players on this team. we cant let another very very talented player go again. look what happened when we let Boldin and them go. he is an excelant player and very nice about everything

5. By angelocolangelo on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

Fitzgerald will leave with his head held high and he will be walking the high road. He is a proven champion as a person and as a player.

However, he is in his prime and cannot wait around to help train a new young QB. That would have a negative impact on his statistics, his body, and his ability to win a Super Bowl Ring.

Therefore, unless the Cardinals bring in another Kurt Warner for nest season, Fitz will move on.

6. By chris on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

I don’t think this was negative at all. This is Fitz. What I thought was odd was that he did not mention DA.

7. By Brian on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

Why all the pessimism? What part of that suggested he was looking elsewhere? The guy just said stuff we all already know. We all want to get better, including Fitz. That doesn’t mean he’s looking to jump ship. Yeah, I think if the Cardinals continue a downward slide and don’t make improvements, he might look elsewhere eventually. But this was a difficult transition year, and the NFC West is still anyone’s division. If we have a good draft, and bring in a solid free agent or two, we’ll be back in the right direction…no need for the pessimism.

8. By wayne on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

First of all I dont see what other fans are seeing, they think Fitz’s has made up his mind to go somewhere else, he has not said anything close to that. To me he is waiting for the CBA to get cleared up and then see if the Cardinals are going to be players in free agency (good QB) and if we do get some players in here I think he stays. If we dont improve he leaves after 2011, if we dont go out and improve this team then the CARDS must trade him for two draft picks, a 1st round and a 2nd or maybe a 3rd round pick. Every team in the NFL has lost a great player to free agency and some of them keep winning, why cant the CARDS?

thanks, Wayne

9. By johnnybluenose on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

you play to win. nothing else matters. fitz doesn’t want to waste another year. so, if he doesn’t believe the cardinals are good enough to at least win their division then he walks and i can’t blame him. DARREN, buster davis signed a contract today to play next season for the montreal alouettes, champions of the canadian football league. first though, he has to make the team.

10. By Brian on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

The same old cardinals reputation applies to fans, too. Let’s be better than that. I know it’s been a difficult road getting to where we are now, but pessimism is contagious. No reason to be doomsday two years after making the Super Bowl.

11. By schmatty on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

Jk…. To me he’s waiting on what’s going to happen at a few spots… One being qb… Even if he doesn’t sign this off season I still see him coming back if we go 8-8 or better next season… The cards can still offer him a crap load of money and hell stay if there’s an improvement at qb

12. By Mark on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

You wonder if Kolb would be enough to keep Fitz around. A 2nd rd pick? It’s worth it. A 1st? No.

13. By cards62 on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

Like all of you I want Fitz in a long term deal and retiring a Cardinal.
    Like most of you I am worried this will not happen.
    Fitz is not only class but he is smart and he negotiated his freedom very well and I just do not think he will ever give up his freedom.
    Fitz wants to be one of the best, but he also wants his playing to mean something which means playoff games almost every year and runs at the Superbowl.
    I think if Fitz likes what he sees he will stay with us on a year by year basis and if he does not see a bright future here he will leave. Fitz is class and will not make noise, he will just say thank you and quietly leave if he does not think our future is bright so it is up to the coaching staff and front office not only to prove to us fans that they are serious about winning but also their star player.
    I sure hope they do in 2011.

Concerning the draft I have not fallen in love with anyone at number 5 yet and we have a lot of needs so hopefully we can trade down and pick up another second and even a third. Patriots have a lot of picks so I hope they fall in love with someone at # 5. Now I have found my TE which I have wanted forever so we better get Kyle Rudolph out of ND with our second round pick.

Go Cards

14. By Kyle on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

Geez you guys are all negative nancys. I think fitz enjoys it here and wants to go down as one of the best if not thee best cardinal ever. Did anyone else catch that he said he’s friends with max and john, and likes rich…. what about DA? Ha

15. By Big Red on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

Your right pepe I’m with you. Sign our franchise in Fitz, we already let go of one in Boldin. Why is it that every other team can sign there top receivers for a long time, and we can’t. Steelers-ward, cowgirls-witten, packers-driver, pats-welker, etc…

16. By ross on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

Fitz is cool, I wish him the best.

17. By mike hadzinski on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

RIGHT IN THE KISSER

18. By AZFan on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

Larry, it means so much to a community and a state when a player sticks it out through tough times. We know you as an Arizona Cardinal, and hope you stay a Cardinal instead of being bribed by dollar signs.

19. By joedaddy on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

with or without him i have been a cards fan since day one and i will always be one so like ive beeen saying for years GO CARDINALS!!!!!!!!!

20. By Alberto Sordi on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

Larry was on a Chicago sports talk radio show around 2:00 pm cst. The hosts were greatly impressed by his physical and verbal skills. They were doing their best to get him to sign up with the Bears in 2012. He would not bite.

21. By EJ on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

I don’t think Fitz has said anything that could be interpreted that he’s leaving Arizona. Hell, players, coaches and fans alike, we’re all frustrated that the Cards had the season they did. Fitz kept his head held high and not once showed the frunstration he must have been feeling on the field. I truly believe that one bad year after a few great ones can be forgiven, even by a player with the status of Fitzgerald. It was always going to be a difficult year with Warner retiring. You always can’t expect to replace a QB with another of the same calibur. And you can’t expect a great year when the recievers have three QB’s to have to find chemistry with on the field. I really think Fitz will stay put another season- if he went elsewhere, it would still take time to gel with a new team. I know I’d give it another shot, and if after two bad seasons (lets pray that isn’t the case for the Cards), I was still frustrated, then I’d look elsewhere.

22. By Pheenic Cromartie on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

I hope the CBA gets solved fast, because I can’t wait for the upcoming season. Fitz sounds serious about making the Playoffs again, and if Fitz wants something, the Cardinals are going to give him it.

Hey, maybe if Fitz demands Peyton Manning, the FO will go and get him Peyton Manning!

23. By Blair on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

I can already see it now. He will play out this year with what ever left over “best bargin” qb the cards pick up. Then leave the next year. But all us fans will have to hear about how “we tried but it was his choice. We made a good offer”. This offseason will go to show who really runs this team. Whiz or the Bidwills. Hopefully we don’t get another year of spending a little as possible while still trying to make it look like they are doing “their best”.

24. By Scott H on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

RE – Fitz saying “I don’t want to waste another year.”

Neither do we, Larry. Neither do we. I love this guy. But while I appreciate him taking the “high road” approach to responding to the question of whether the team is seeking his input into who the next QB might be…yeah, he IS a player, and maybe it isn’t his place to be involved in the discussion of who it will be. But…what if he insists on keeping out of the discussion and then ends up being very un-happy about what gets done??? IF the team is asking for his input ( and who knows if they even have any intention of doing so? ), and IF he really does have any preferences, then I hope he will speak about them.

Fitz is going to get paid. He doesn’t even have to worry about that. Whether here or anywhere else, his sheer talent guarantees that he will get paid. But what I appreciate about him is that I think winning is truly his top priority – NOT just getting paid as much as possible. After what we went through with Karlos Dansby – who made it ABSOLUTELY CLEAR that he was just looking for the biggest payday he could possible get – a class act like Fitz is refreshing. Like Adrian Wilson, he understands that your mouth isn’t what gets you paid. Work hard and play well, and the money will be there.

25. By cardiac cardinals on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

FFF!

26. By Eagle on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

Hello all,

First of all let me start off by saying to angelocolangelo, ” are you kidding”? There will never be another Kurt Warner!! Yes there are alot of talented veteran QB’s out there, but Warner was special, and lightning rarely strikes twice!! I am not saying the this organization can’t bring in a good quality veteran to help this team get back to the top of the division and back to the Super Bowl, but are they willing to use quality draft picks as well as spend some money, that’s what it all comes down to. As for Fitz staying, well his contract is no mystery and as he has already said, it’s not his job to select a QB. Now that’s not saying behind closed doors, they may ask his opinion, but that will never be made public. I am sitting here watching all this Super Bowl stuff, and it makes me sick that the Steelers are back in the Big game, and we couldn’t even make the play-offs! I know I am just a fan and I don’t know the business side of this whole thing, but if we don’t bring in a quality QB, a proven DC and a proven OC, players like Fitz will not be back. I am quite positive there is a team out there willing to pay him top dollar, that just needs a playmaker of his caliber to get over the hump and win a Championship. Everyone knows at the end of the day that that is the most important thing to 99 % of players! I do not recall a player ever saying, “I don’t care if I win a ring. I just care about the money” I don’t believe Fitz is going to entertain any offers seriously until he sees the direction the organization is going to go in. After all, after next year, he is free and clear. I am sure he would like to retire a Cardinal, but I think he wants a CHAMPIONSHIP even more! Of course that is just my opinion!!

27. By chris on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

Kyle,
    I caught that…about ten posts up above yours. That was really odd. Either he doesn’t like DA, he forgot or he knows DA is gone.

28. By James on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

If you had to pick do you think the cardinals will address offensive or defensive needs with our first round pick of the draft?

Thanks Darren for reading and answering the same question twice,
    James

29. By AndyStandsUp on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

At what point does re-signing Fitz outweigh not?
    He’s obviously looking to be the highest paid receiver (deserved so) but would that put a serious crimp in signing Breaston? (Remember all the talk about the Cards not being able to tie too much money at one position with Boldin?)
    At his age, his trade value will never be higher and without a good QB his stats will probably suffer, so you have a possible malcontent on the sidelines.
    Darren, love Fitz as a player, but I don’t hold him pristine like some folks. Is he as good as advertised off the field or does he have human faults like everyone else?

30. By brad oneill on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

its so funny that people think fitz is gone.

look people we have him for a minimum of one more year. if the cardinals play anywhere near their potential he will be a happy camper. If they falter for a second year in a row fitz wont be the only one exiting the building. I suspect this offseason may be a bit painful for a few players that have never reached their potential.

i hope deuce is staying in better shape this off season, being a fun loving fat guy is great for a fan, but it doesnt cut it for a guy being paid big money. if they do give him a new contract i hope it has a jenny craig clause in it.

levi brown can’t seem to get it done.

Adrian Wilson- great player unless you ask him to cover a premier tight end. I can forgive him for getting beat by Shockey or Gates but that one from mn really hurt.

QB- i think max may not get a fair shot because his failure was so dramatic but I hope they have a preseason so he gets a chance to redeem himself a bit.

Skelton earned his way onto this team and should at a minimum be backing up kevin kolb or carson palmer if not starting out right.

I think da has about the same odds as mubarak as far as being around next year. it could happen but they may have to use tear gas on the crowds lining up to get their money back on season tickets.

CB-Toler was not the problem this year. i dont know if you could lock drc in a room with adrian wilson beanie wells and deuce. He can come out as soon as he picks up adrian’s weight room habits, he wrestles some food away from deuce and he can tackle beanie 1 on 1.

31. By Darren Urban on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

James —

RE: First pick

It’s all going to depend on who is there and who they like after the combine and workouts.

I believe, unless they fall in love with a QB, they probably go defense with the first pick, but choosing that high, you never know what guy might slide a couple spots that is impossible to pass up.

32. By Darren Urban on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Fitz off the field

I don’t pretend to know Fitz well. But you answered your own question. He, of course, has human faults. Not that any of them are serious — he doesn’t get in trouble with the law, he’s not a jerk to staff/media — but he’s not an angel (and never claimed to be). He’s a guy who plays football very well.

Personally, it’s been a long time since I have looked at a player as “pristine.” Been in the business too long. Just because a guy plays a sport well doesn’t make him better than the next guy.

All that said, he’s got great talent. You trade him, that’s one more great player you no longer have and need to replace.

33. By Marcus Clark on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

Would a 1st rd pick to get Kevin Kolb worth it? since it can determine whether we keep Fitz or not?

34. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

What is Larry doing at the Super Bowl anyway? Trying to work out a trade with the Steelers or Packers — two teams built to win championships and superior evaluators of talent? ;)

Larry’s very good at the PR thing – never letting people forget that he’s around — and that he will be available in 2012.

35. By AndyStandsUp on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

Wasn’t try to diss Fitz about not being a good person as well as a great player, because his record publicly suggests otherwise. Just trying to point out that his trade value may never be higher and with all the holes the Cards have to fill and despite what idolization we have, these guys are human.
    Have had a few sequences in my life where I’ve met childhood heroes or went to school with athletes who have turned out to be very successful (and ones not so much) and sometimes, people who can jump higher or run faster are not the “role models” we should be striving for.
    But then again, why can’t I stop rooting for them?

36. By Daniel Christensen on Feb 4, 2011 | Reply

I hope Cardinals would re sign him af if he doesn’t trade him for er good QB Maybe or anoter WR… That would be nice :)

Darren.

What are you thinking about the hole Fitz situation and what do you think what would be best for Cardinals

37. By NYCARDSFAN on Feb 4, 2011 | Reply

Darren and everyone…” Wouldnt you agree with me in the statement that, “There is a silence that speaks so much louder than words” with Larry? If I was in the front office, I would hear what Larry is “not saying” loud and clear. I dont think you get to be head coach, GM, or owner by being an imperceptive idiot. I think Larrys message is clear, and I think that HQ will do what it takes.

38. By Darren Urban on Feb 4, 2011 | Reply

Marcus —

RE: Kolb/first rounder

I wouldn’t trade the fifth overall pick for Kolb.

39. By Darren Urban on Feb 4, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Rooting

We all need heroes.

Regarding a Fitz trade, don’t forget he controls it with a no-trade clause. And any deal means they’d have to promise him a fat new contract — and probably before the trigger is pulled, since no one is going to want to deal with the threat of him walking away.

40. By Darren Urban on Feb 4, 2011 | Reply

Daniel —

RE: Fitz

I think they want to keep him and will do everything they can to keep him. I think you can’t let all your good players get away if you can help it.

41. By Darren Urban on Feb 4, 2011 | Reply

NYCards —

RE: Fitz message

I think everyone would be very naive to not understand the shortcomings of the team right now.

And truthfully, we don’t know what Fitz tells the FO behind closed doors.

42. By brad oneill on Feb 4, 2011 | Reply

breaking news fitz’s bags are packed. or atleast little fitz’s bags are packed.

43. By RelayTV on Feb 4, 2011 | Reply

When Fitz implies that this season was wasted, what he means is that, to him, a season where he doesn’t make the playoffs is a waste — Period.

Fitz is great during the season…

But he OWNS the post season.

During our run to the Superbowl he was UNSTOPPABLE!

Double covered? Triple Covered. Overthrown, Underthrown, it didn’t matter.

He redefined the position of wide receiver during those 4 games, and everybody started talking about him being the GREATEST wideout EVER.

How many post-season records did he break that year?

Now after 2 seasons of of backsliding, that talk is gone.

He must get back into the playoffs to prove that his ’08 magic was not a fluke.

He will not stay if he doesn’t think that cards have done what it takes to get back to the playoffs, plain and simple.

But he is a very smart guy: He knows that the NFC West is weak and with a few good moves, we could win it again next year.

So he will be weighing that against the offers he will get from the other teams (pats, bears, vikings) and he will go with whichever team gives him the best chance to get into the post-season.

Because nobody does the playoffs like Larry Fitzgerald.

That flea-flicker against the Falcons STILL gives me goosebumps!

44. By Darren Urban on Feb 4, 2011 | Reply

RelayTV —

RE: Fitz

Two seasons of backsliding?

45. By RelayTV on Feb 4, 2011 | Reply

And while we’re at it I have a pretty good idea about the type of QB that Fitz wants to see in the huddle with him next season, so that not only helps me understand if he will stay, but what teams he might consider going to.

Obviously he wants another Kurt Warner. Nobody benefitted more from Warner’s career revival that Fitz. But what does that really mean, “Another Warner?”

It means a pocket passer, who is super accurate and predictable. Not someone who can turn busted plays into a big plays, or run with the ball, and who has enough experience to read a defense, find the hot receiver and audible.

Predictable means he calls the play in the huddle and Fitz knows that he’s getting the ball thrown to him, even if he’s covered or double covered, even if Warner had to stand in the pocket and take a direct hit in the face (unlike “Big Ben” who never seems to take a hard shot)

That’s why Kurt had to be ultra accurate because he was often forcing the ball to Fitz.

This used to infuriate me because that predictability is also why Kurt got picked 3, 4, 5 times in one game. When a team had him figured out, he go down in a blaze of glory!

But hey, with Haley calling the plays and Boldin running interference/pic routes it worked and worked well.

BTW, our entire offense is built around this type of QB philosophy, that’s why we hardly run the ball, and the line doesn’t block for very long, and our QBs get sacked & picked off so much.

If they can’t “Throewa twinkie into a toaster” a QB won’t win with our offense.

The 5 closest QB’s to that mold are Manning, Brady, Brees, Rivers and Rodgers.

The closest AVAILABLE QB’s to that would be McNabb, Farve and maybe Tavares Jackson or Billy Volek.

So that means no Vick, no Kolb, no Max Hall, no Vince Young. (Kolb has promise, but not enough experience or in my opinion, toughness yet.)

Man watching Fitz highlights on Youtube really gets me going! I sure hope the FO makes it happen because it was truly a thing of beauty.

46. By RelayTV on Feb 4, 2011 | Reply

“2 Seasons backsliding”

The Team, not Fitz.

(From Darren: Ahh. Got it. Except the team won 10 games in 2009 — actually a better record than the year before).

47. By Voice of Reason on Feb 4, 2011 | Reply

Darren — you pointed out the key sentence beautifully — the reference to a wasted year. Also, note the one quarterback he didn’t mention was the one that started most of the year: Anderson.

And he’s right. 2010 was a wasted year. We would have won the division with marginal quarterback play. And there were many backups on other teams that would have started for us and won our division. He knows that — he’s just too smart to express it in public.

That line should put the organization on notice (as if they shouldn’t have long been already, but it takes Rod Graves months to decipher a message that most people get in hours) that THEY CANNOT SCREW AROUND WITH THE QUARTERBACK POSITION AGAIN.

This is a bad division; we all know it. Clearly, the idea was “shoot, this division is so bad we can win it with freaking Derek Anderson!” And that turned out to be wrong. Very, very wrong.

When you have a chance to step on the throat of your opponent, you do it. Go get a quarterback that will win this division. Bulger. Kolb. Orton. Palmer. Collins.

And memo to upstairs — you don’t need to sign them all. Just sign one, and then bring in a vet backup like Patrick Ramsey or Billy Volek.

And you’ll win THIS division and host a playoff game.

48. By TIMBOinNC on Feb 4, 2011 | Reply

I hope Fitz will tough it out one more yeat and I still think Vince Young is the answer at QB.

49. By Paddock on Feb 4, 2011 | Reply

All this talk about Fitz and what he is going to do. If i were him i would have to take a long look at the team, and make sure the commitment is there to win. Coach Whiz needs to give up play calling and get a real OC, there are other things he could be doing with his time. And I for one would like to know what the hell is going on with Wells is he the man or what. It would be nice to see him get 25-30 carries in 1 gm. Maybe they can bring in Tiki Barber in to work w/ Wells & Hightower and show them how to hang on the ball. And by the way what has Grimm done? The line play for most of his 3yrs has sucked, maybe we need an upgrade there too.I’m sick of trying to make things work with ex Steelers!!! There is a reason there ex Steelers, thats because they are past their prime or they have done a better job of drafting good replacements. God i hate the Steelers and am sick of hearing about them. The best thing to do here is fire Graves and hire Dennis Green as gm to work w/ whiz. Green took a bad team, made them better through the draft but dident get a chance to finish the job. So let Green get the players and Whiz do ur job and coach!!!!!!! Cardinals forever

50. By larry fitzgerald on Feb 4, 2011 | Reply

I really hope that the cardinals keep fitzgerald because if they dont the cardinals will suck all we need is a major upgrade at quarterback (trade/free agency) and a better offensive line and some defensive positions that we can deal with through the draft

51. By AndyStandsUp on Feb 4, 2011 | Reply

Regarding Fitz’s no trade clause, he could waive it, correct? It’s been done before in the NFL.
    BUT he cannot be traded to any team that progressed beyond the divisional playoffs (Final Eight Restrictions), which would mute the reported move to the Patriots.
    Of course, this is under the current CBA and could be changed with ratification of the new one.

52. By johnnybluenose on Feb 5, 2011 | Reply

darren, i’m not a big tony romo fan but considering that dallas was better without him this year i’m just wondering how in love with him is jerry jones and have you heard anything that would make you think he could come to us in a trade…like DRC and a 2nd round draft pick for romo?

53. By Darren Urban on Feb 5, 2011 | Reply

johnnybluenose —

RE: Romo

Dallas isn’t trading him. And I don’t think they were better without him, per se. Their troubles weren’t at QB.

54. By Scott H on Feb 5, 2011 | Reply

RelayTV –

Loved your post about Fitz. I’m right there with you. I try not to live in the past, but I also look at so many of his plays during that SB run in 2008 and I damn near jump out of my seat. NFL Network has been running a lot of stuff from the Cards-Steelers SB and…I swear, that late game TD by Fitz that gave us the lead just never gets old.

55. By Andre on Feb 5, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren, I was looking at the top 5 draft prospects and also the veteran Qb’s…and I was wondering why not risk big money on Kolb? We’ve seen him play and he’s good….he’s no Leinart. Ohh and out of all the Qb’s possibly for sale which do you think would help us keep Larry?

56. By Darren Urban on Feb 5, 2011 | Reply

Andre —

RE: Kolb

Money isn’t an issue, I wouldn’t think, if you trade for him. But what pick? And will he even be available from the Eagles? And will teams even get a chance to trade, given the labor situation?

57. By Trisha on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Kolb is not proven to be a leader or a great QB, he is a Lienart meaning everything knows he has potential but it is not proven. Why would he be worth a 5th round pick? If the Eagles want a 1st round pick for him then the Cardinals should wait till draft day, trade DOWN their 5th round pick for a late 1st round and another 2nd round. Trade the late 1st round for Kolb and we will then have 2 second rounds for defensive players. Both the Eagles and Broncos did similar things at last years draft. Kolb is not proven enough for a 5th round draft pick. If the Cardinals really want him I think this is the best option, if not lets draft the best defensive player on the board at 5 and look to sign a free agent QB.

2. Feb 3, 2011: Top Posts — WordPress.com