Finding that next QB

Posted by Darren Urban on February 7, 2011 – 11:46 am

Two reports over the last 24 hours regarding the Cards’ search for another quarterback caught the eye, for different reasons.

First came the ESPN report that the team asked Larry Fitzgerald’s opinion about the QB situation. It happened. Am I surprised? No. Even though Fitzgerald said himself he wasn’t comfortable in that position,  it makes sense. The Cardinals, if you recall, got input from a handful of key players when they were undergoing the coaching search that eventually ended with Ken Whisenhunt being hired. This doesn’t seem any different. (And it’s not like Fitzgerald is going way out of the box by mentioning Kevin Kolb potentially and also Marc Bulger. I think the Cards were always going to investigate Kolb — assuming he can be traded for at some point — and Bulger has long been high on the potential list.)

I was a little more interested at the comment by Peter King this morning, writing “I think I would be very surprised if the Arizona Cardinals didn’t take a quarterback with the fifth pick.” I would never rule out the Cards taking a QB, not this early in the process. But to declare it probable? No way. Not with so much uncertainty around the QBs that will be available. Could they wow scouts by the time the draft rolls around? Sure. Maybe there will be a guy who is worth it. There’s no way you draft a QB just to draft a QB unless you feel good about him, however; as the Cards are finding out after the Leinart pick in 2006, taking a QB high means you are committing to that guy as your future — and if you miss, it puts you in a bad position.

Unless the Cards trade for Kolb, I expect them to draft a QB and sign a veteran.

Tags: , , ,

141 Responses to “Finding that next QB”

1. By sketch on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

If they draft a rookie QB then they really do need to work on hiring Bulger. And if by some miracle because of the friction between shanahan and McNabb, McNabb becomes avaialable; I think the Cards almost HAVE to go after McNabb.

2. By carlo7000 on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

trade value

some years a go the chargers sent brees to saints for a second round pick..brees was already a starter in san diego and his last season in san diego was very solid as a starter..kolb he didnt show so much at now..what do you think darren is the right price for him?? just an opinion from you super darren)))

3. By Tom Donlan on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

None of the QBs in this draft are worth the risk at #5 – hope we play it safe and take either Patrick Peterson (if he’s there we shouldn’t pass on a ‘Peterson’ again!) or Robert Quinn to sort out two problems on the defence.

I’d take Bulger over Kolb.

4. By SSG Tim Roberts on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

That makes some sense. If one (or more) of your key players are wanting to win and have mentioned or been brought into the key positions discussion, I think it should be listened to. I had seen Larry with Deon Sanders in an interview where Larry met up with Kurt Warner and you could hear it in his voice, he wanted Kurt back. Badly!! This team was designed for quick strikes and has outstanding recievers, but the QB spot was the position that wasn’t up to par. Without a leader at that position, a good solid player, it was no wonder they couldn’t get it together. No consistency.
    That contributes to the “trickle down affect” and it certainly showed this year. The defense is young, but experienced and had to be on the field WAY too much. Lets hope we can get a good veteran (who’s a leader) and a good solid draft pick.

5. By B on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Bulger is not Warner.

Bulger at QB….6/7 win season.

6. By Ellis on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

First off, Peter King is a idiot! Ken will not draft a QB and mess up any chance of resigning Fitz. I think we could get Marc Bulger and Kevin Kolb if they would pay 3mil to Bulger just in case Kolb goes down with a injury. I wonder if Fitz would take less money to get the caliber QB he wants! Also, even when we get Kolb or Bulger or both, we still need a tougher line. I don’t see how they can even look Grimm in the face after how horrible they play. People will say why pay a backup 3mil, because the line is horrible and we could have another DA situation on our hands!

7. By harlanlee1 on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Hi, Darren,
    Absolutely agree. But please remove the name of Marc Bulger from the conversation. Bulger was promoted to his ultimate level of incompetence in St. Louis, replacing Kurt Warner as the Ram QB. The promotion led to a a big bucks contract and the Rams and Bulger sank together like a rock. Because the price for Kolb will likely be steep, how about the Cardinals trading their #5 pick for Kolb and the Eagles’ 2nd or 3rd round pick? By doing so, the Cards could avoid the messy contract situation connected to a #5 pick. But, please — Orton, Palmer, or any other veteran QB — but not Bulger. Despite what Fitz may think, Bulger is a train wreck looking for a place to happen.

8. By Darren Urban on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Carlo7000 –

RE: Kolb price

I would consider a couple of picks, let’s say a 2 and a 4. I doubt the Eagles accept that. I might negotiate. But I’m not giving up a 1.

9. By mikeso602 on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Darren : is it me or did everyone forget about john skelton? I mean me personaly he shows promise for this team, I mean give him a break he didn’t get to start the season, so its like people are giving up on him, I understand having a veteran qb will be good, but now they are talking bout drafting another? What does this mean? Are they letting skelton go? Did they not see any promise with this Guy? I say you give him two to three more years and u have a perfect qb! So if u can inform me more about the situation on skelton I would love to know!

10. By Scott on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Yeah,

we worked hard to get that 5th pick. let’s not let it slip away

11. By blaxabbath on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

First, assuming no lockout, will the defensive coordinator search impact the qb search? For example, I understand Whiz has requested to interview Butler and I wonder if any of their conversation includes drafting defensive players with their picks?

Obviously a lot of factors are at play but Whiz has been high on Butler and I wonder if acquiring defensive talent is a carrot Whiz is hanging for Butler.

Or am I making this too complicated (entirely possible, as we fans seem to do on the outside)?

Second, is Young part of the qb discussion? Just curious as I know he will be available this offseason.

12. By Aaron on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

I REALLY hope they don’t go the Bulger route. I’ve been hoping for Kolb since Vick ran away with his starting gig. Bulger would lead us to 8 wins tops. I really hope they don’t spring for a QB with the #5 pick. Prefer to see a more dominant defensive player or O-line.

13. By tyman on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

If Orton is out there its a lot smarter to make a play on him then to go for kolb or a rookie. Im not saying dont pick him up along with a rookie with the first pick. I think Orton is the best pick, give a second for him. Mcnabb might not be so washed up. 1st year in DC with a lot less talent than really any team in the nfl and he did look all right at times.

14. By FresnoBoy on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

If your going to draft a QB at #5 we might as well just stick with Skelton. We need to take Patrick Peterson or i would really really reall love to see AJ Green )love this kid) What do you think about taking AJ Green Daren. Since Doucet wont be back next year. Your thoughts?

15. By Chris Lewis on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

I’m about worn out talking QB, but I do know the Cards will be making a big mistake if they sign Bulger. Seriously, he was just okay with the Rams, and at this point in his career, he’s on the downswing. If he was just okay a few years ago, that’s pretty scary to think what he’ll be like now, a few years older. He hasn’t even started for a team in awhile. What does that tell you? Sure, signing a veteran QB is a question mark. Nobody has a crystal ball, but it’s a bigger question mark signing an unproven rookie QB. Look what happened with Leinart. We can’t make that same mistake again. We need to win now, not 2 or 3 years from now.

16. By Kyle Orton on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

How come Larry didnt mention me? I am a viable starter and have shown more than Kolb for sure. Plus I want out of Denver having to live under Elways shadow when Im not even “the guy” and could be had for at most a 2nd but likely your 3rd and next years 5th or 6th.

17. By Darren Urban on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Mikeso602 –

RE: Skelton

I think at this point, to say they know Skelton will develop into the QB of the future is premature. Until you know you have one, to me, you have to go after many different options and flood the position.

18. By Darren Urban on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Blax –

RE: DC draft/Young

No, that wouldn’t impact any decisions. And the DC will be hired very soon, well before any decisions have to be made about the draft. Whomever is DC will want players, but the big picture will be part of the talks, regardless of who is DC.

As for Vince Young, I don’t see any way they’d want to bother with a player who has had so many issues.

19. By Paul H on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

RE Bulger I only thing I am concerned about Marc is that we had heard that his heart wasn’t into playing anymore,etc. Not really sure if that was ever true but it is cause for concern. We need a QB that is committed 100% into bringing this franchise back to the playoffs. We have had too many veteran players past their prime just come here for the easy check and then just cruise through the last few years of their career. I will say that when he is playing at a high level he does remind you of Kurt.

20. By Darren Urban on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

FresnoBoy –

RE: AJ Green

I would be shocked if they spent the first pick on a receiver.

21. By SteveDCO on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Darren –

The most intresting thing to me being reported about the Fitz and Whiz discussion is the lack of Skelton’s name being brought up.

Could it have been brought up and just not reported, yes; however, it seems strange that the report went out of the way to mention Skelton not being included.

22. By Code on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

I’ve heard a lot of talk about Bulger and Kolb but very little about Kyle Orton. Is there just no interest to pursue him by the Cardinals organization?

23. By Darren Urban on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

SteveDCO –

RE: Skelton talk

Again, with all due respect to John, right now, I don’t think that immediately gets the Cards where they want to go in 2011.

24. By Darren Urban on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Code –

RE: Orton

I am not sure about that right now. To be honest, the last I heard the Broncos weren’t sure if they want to deal him.

25. By Harold Maloney on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Would someone please enlighten me as to: WHY NOT CAM NEWTON?

26. By Jack Archbold on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

If Kolb is availible, take him, we could build an offense around him, with not too much work. Bulger, I think he would be a 8th pick. Not McNabb, he has always been over-rated. He had T.O. to make him look good. If you don’t believe me, ask Romo, and what has happened to him, since T.O. has left.

27. By Coop on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Darren –

Am I wrong in assuming that the Cards likelihood of retaining Fitz is directly correlated to their ability to bring in a QB? If so, I think they have to do whatever then can.

Do you think it would be at all likely that the Cards could/would trade down from 5 with a team, say New England, for 2 firsts and then trade one of the newly acquired firsts and a later pick for Kolb?

If memory serves correctly, the last time they traded down for we passed on Suggs and took Calvin Pace and Bryant Johnston – not exactly the memories one would like to elicit.

28. By BigRedFan on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Here’s the best deal:

Keep Skelton high on the priority list. Tom Brady was drafted lower than John was. He has potential.

PLEASE stop bringing up McNabb. That is dumb. Really really dumb. Fo real.

Bring in a proven vet to start/compete with Skelton (Bulger?). Why not? Worked ok with Warner/Leinart.

Option 2: give Derek another chance. :)

29. By Harold Maloney on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Please give me all the WRONG things with Cam Newton!

30. By mike b on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

wait coach wiz has been fired????

31. By jocards on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Man where do folks get their inside knowledge? Bringing in Bulger means 8 wins tops?!? Bulger = 5/6 wins?!? How in the world does one figure something like that out? I’d ask those same folks how many wins they thought bringing in Kurt Warner would produce…nevermind, it means nothing. I’m not saying Bulger is Warner, not at all but Warner came with a lot of legitimate questions too. To all those that are so sure John Skelton is a franchise QB I ask, where you are getting all that faith? I did not see that when I watched him….I saw a guy that might be able to develop into an adequate NFL QB but I didn’t see a sure fire quality NFL starter & I don’t think I missed anything there. Having a solid QB is vital to a team’s success, all options need to be explored. As to Kolb, he has a potentially big upside but I think the Eagles will stand firm in asking for a #1 for him. If something else can be negotiated then the Cards should consider a deal for him IMO….A #1 for him I do not like. Bulger would be affordable and he doesn’t come with a lot of baggage. He has always been an accurate passer which is critical to run this offense successfully. He might be a good option for this team.

32. By Darren Urban on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Coop –

RE: Retaining Fitz/trade down

Fitz has never said he needs a QB to stay, but I think you’d have to be naive to think that won’t be a part of the decision-making process.

As for trading down, it’s a lot easier said than done. If I am the Patriots, I think I’d rather have two picks than one much higher — unless they fall in love with a player (and unless there is a new CBA, Kolb can’t be part of a trade).

33. By AndyStandsUp on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

But Darren if they sign a veteran AND draft a rookie that would put 6 QBs on the roster. And assuming the Cards wouldn’t cut either, that would make DA and Bartel expendable and either Skelton or Hall being shipped to the practice squad; something Whiz didn’t want to do last season.
    And I could see a situation where the Cards draft Green at 5, but that would require trading a certain player.

34. By BigRedFan on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Darren –

Any thoughts on Seneca Wallace? Not a glitzy pickup but a solid player (83.9 carrer rating) who could be affordable.

OR – do you feel they want to go with a marquee guy to keep fans intruigued?

35. By Mr. Know It All on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

CAM NEWTON best skill set of any QB in this draft.
    He can lineup anywhere on offense, QB, TE, WR, HB, the guy will only raise his stock till the draft. If he is there at 5 take him.

36. By Dynosoar on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Kevin Kolb. Kevin Kolb. Kevin Kolb.

Look what he did to our friendly neighborhood 49rs. Kevin was McNabbs replacement for a reason. McNabb may be a future Hall of Famer (and he may not), but he’ll be like Favre this last season. The heart of a lion, an aged lion.

I like the potentila of Hall and Skelton.

I miss Kurt Warner. I’m excited for the future.

Cardinals in Indy for 2012!

37. By Chad Slade on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Lets make one thing clear the QB position is not the only concern in Arizona! I see promise in Skelton stands tall in the pocket,hard to bring down,great arm strength,and not afraid to throw the ball sure he missed some it was his rookie season out of a small school name Fordham. Bulger(injury prone)McNabb(on his down side)Kolb(not enough to prove himself). Bad QB pick in the draft would set us back dramaticly.Let me throw out three hoarded QB’s Chase Daniels,Brady Quinn,Caleb Hanie

38. By Dynosoar on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Did any of you make note of the size of Big Ben’s offensive line. No wonder he doesn’t get sacked. At 6’5 and 250, he was smaller than three of his linemen. Any quarterback (or almost any) at the NFL level would be as good with that line.

I’m sure I’ve seen B.J. Raji on the offensive and deffensive line in Green Bay. Can we do the same with Callais Campbell? That’d be sweet.

39. By Old Man Riva on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

I think the Cards will take either a DB, OLB or DL/DE with their first choice. There are too many good ones to not go that route. The only QB who comes close to deserving that high of a pick is Blaine Gabbert and I saw him play often enough in the Big 12 to compare him with Sam Bradford and there is no comparison. Bradford was much more cool and calm under pressure as well as being more accurate than Gabbert, especially in big games. I agree with Darren that the Leinart fiasco will haunt the Cards for years and unless the guy is the 2nd coming of Joe Montana, they will always pass on a QB. By the time their 2nd pick rolls around, there will most likely be a decent QB left to take a chance on developing (remember it takes normally 2 to 3 years for a QB to develop in the NFL). They will emphasis defense on draft day and try to sign free agent vets for other key positions (TE, OL, QB, etc…)

40. By RelayTV on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

So I’ve got an idea for a QB that can help us the next 2 years at least, and give Skelton a chance to develop into our guy for the future (or somebody else if we draft another rookie.)

Since our whole offensive philosophy is based on a precision passing game, I scoured the stats to find the top 5 QB’s this season, based on completion percentage: Brees, Maning, Rivers, Brady – who we have no chance of getting in a trade or FA, and then the hidden gem at #5 – Jon Kitna.

I know he’s old (38 – same age as Warner) but give me a second to make a case for trading for Kitna.

1. He’s super-accurate. In fact, he had the same completion percentage this season as the guy who was just the MVP of the Superbowl. And his career percentage is 60.3% OVER 14 YEARS!

2. He still wants to win & plays with emotion: I think that we all can agree that Warner could still be playing today (and playing great) but he lost the will to do so. Kitna hasn’t lost it, even though he spent this season suffering with the cowboys, and before that with the Lions and Bengals. This guy is a competitor:

3. Pride: Romo WILL be the cowboys starter next season. Kitna played his butt off, and now they will send him back to the bench. If Whiz offers him the chance to compete for the starting job, and mentor Skelton. I bet he would take it.

4. We have trade value for the cowboys: The need a kicker big time. We’ve got one, and finding good kickers does not seem to be a problem for us. We could deal Feeley and find another PK much easier than we could find a new QB. Remember the ONLY 4 guys that had a better completion percentage than Kitna this season (65.7%) are under house arrest by their respective teams.

5. He’s a bargain: McNabb (who I also like) had a bad season, but would still demand many millions. Bulger, didn’t play a snap this season and was on his way downhill the last 4 seasons with the rams. Kolb is still unproven, and the eagles won’t part with him for less than a king’s ransom (and somebody once told me that the Cardinals don’t exactly throw money around.)

Kitna is playing real good right now, he’s a leader, he’s inexpensive, and he’s real accurate.

His only downside is his age.

41. By blaxabbath on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Harold –

Re: Newton

(Go ahead and have a seat, Darren, I’ll take this one.)

One of Newton’s biggest question marks is his collegiate experience. Back up at Florida, then a JUCO year, and a Heisman season with Auburn. We really haven’t got to see him develop in a traditional sense. He also took most of his snaps out of the shotgun in a pretty simple offensive scheme.

Additionally, while Newton is a gifted athlete, like many college running quarterbacks, Cam isn’t going to get away with his Auburn-style of play (fake the option, quick scan of receivers, take off running) against NFL defenses. Oregon did a pretty good job keeping him rattled with complex coverages early in the BCS game.

Cam’s mechanics are imperfect he is subpar at throwing the long ball. Obviously this is something that the coaching staff would have to determine if they could fix about him, but you have to be a deep threat in the NFL.

I can’t even begin to comment on his maturity or general decision-making but this deal with his dad and the money, his own little media pro day, and his mutli-school journey — I’d be wary of bringing him into a program without a serious veteran qb for him to learn and mature under (less you end up with another Mike Vick).

For my two cents, Cam isn’t a bad thought — he just isn’t a #5 pick for a franchise who just released their former Heisman winner/first round pick bust at QB. Like Tebow last year, someone who can afford the risk (or, like McDaniels, who can’t) will take Cam. He surely isn’t the answer for the Cardinals right now though.

That being said — if we can snag him in the second, I say jump on it.

42. By MidniteSun on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Well since we know it was Bulger who was the Cards first choice last year, but unfortunately couldn’t out wait him. And are still in the exact same position looking for a QB this year, yet this time around Bulger will be in a much easier position to get, Well?… By this logic, it would seem to me that Bulger IS the guy were looking at here- finally. With players like Kolb and Orton as distant and little more desperate second options. (Considering we almost know their going to come at an-almost too steep of a price) Unless you can feel for certain that Kolb or Orton are going to be the franchise QB’s for this team, otherwise it wouldn’t make any real sense to give a lot of assets up to acquire them . I totally agree on going with Bulger if there’s nothing more talented out there then players worth a 2yre deal, projected to hold the position down until they can go with a franchise QB for the future.

Besides who can say Bulger won’t be probably be the best deal among the FA or trade-able QB’s ,if in fact Cards decide all that is needed is some reliable two year stop gap or as vet insurance to sit behind Skelton or a highly drafted rookie. After all Kolb and Orton have as much possibility becoming franchise QB’s here as Skelton or a first day rookie QB, since Orton is likely to remain what he has been throughout his career- a game manager and Kolb hasn’t much more game experience or success as a starting NFL QB then John Skelton. And if the Cards are set on drafting a QB high, then it would make sense to trade down with the #5 overall pick to give themselves more options in the draft. None of this years crop are worth going that high and if they learned anything from drafting Levi Brown at (ironically enough) #5 too. Then they’ve learned drafting specifically for greatest need that high is usually a mistake.

43. By Darren Urban on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands –

RE: Too many QBs

As I noted earlier, until you know you have one, you flood the position.

They are going to have four for training camp.

44. By Gang6230 on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

If that’s the case Darren what’s gonna happen with hall n Skelton. 4 qb will they keep both around ??

45. By Darren Urban on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

BigRed –

RE: Seneca Wallace

I don’t think “marquee” plays into it necessarily. They know they need someone decent, period. Affordable, I don’t believe, is an issue either. They don’t want to overpay for a middling guy, but they aren’t looking for bargain basement.

46. By Darren Urban on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Gang6230 –

RE: QB choices

That’s a good question. Might depend on the length of any potential work stoppage.

47. By Dynosoar on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Cardinals in Indy for 2012!

Like Warner said recently, we really only need a couple of pieces and we’re in the hunt again. The great quarterbacks search for and create first downs and touchdowns.

Warner ran the best redzone offense and we have the WR’s to be there again. Last year the red zone was more like the glue zone, we couldn’t move the ball once we crossed the ten (which made for one thrilling exciting game, thanks Jay.)

A DC cooridinator, Kevin Kolb, Hall and Skelton (experienced) in the wings, a couple more of the right players on both lines (plus experience gained last season) and we’ve got this.

Indy here we come. We can wear our Edgerin-Cardinals jersey and take him home.

48. By Scott on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Seems like Orton would be a more viable starter and has shown more than Kolb for sure. Plus I would think he might want out of Denver having to live under Elways shadow when he is not even “the guy” there. He could be had for at most a 2nd but likely your 3rd and next years 5th or 6th i would think.

49. By Wampag on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

hey D so I am watching the top 5 offensive plays of the year and two of them are Roberts and honestly I dont remember him having that great of a year and after seeing it I am worried Breston might be a victim of FA

50. By D on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

They may sign a QB in round 3-5, but no way at #5 in the first round. Too many other holes to fill and NO QB in this draft is worth taking at #5-P. King is just another talking head who know’s very little about the Cards.

51. By Darren Urban on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Wampag –

RE: Roberts/Breaston

Not sure I am following the logic of your comment.

52. By BigRedFan on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Trade Jay Feely for an again QB? Forget it! Feely is a Pro Bowl kicker!

53. By Kody21 on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Bress Deal- Comment made earlier about Brees going to NO for a second round pick, that was a result of his supposed shoulder injury. There is not a viable rookie in the draft that will be near the already developed talent of Kolb. The Skelton talk is rubbish. In neither of his starts did he complete 50% of his passes for the game, not to mention they collected 6 turnovers against denver. I think Kolb would be worth trading the first rd pick IF they first trade it down to pick up a decent player to help the secondary if any are available. If not I think Peterson is a solid pick at 5. And I think the most looked over person in the conversation is Mcnabb who I think would be the perfect person to come in and mentor a young qb such as a Mallett from Arkansas if he is still available to pick up in rd 2 who is going to be a very solid NFL qb

54. By Dynosoar on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

RelayTV

For over thirty years i’ve had two favorite teams.

1. St. Louis / Phoenix / Arizona Cardinals
    2. Anyone who played the Cowboys

Meaning, I’ve not even thought of Kitna.

You’ve got me thinking now. Very interesting observations. I now like Kolb or Kitna and your aurguments persuade me to like Kitna over Kolb. Thanks.

Cardinals in Indy in 2012!

55. By D on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

The only difference between the Card v Pitts Superbowl and last night is the Packers had T. Williams and we had Fransico getting beat on the last drive. Shows depth is important.

56. By BigRedFan on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

NO QB in the first round. Shore up other areas of need instead of rebuilding the QB position. Get a vet who can do some damage out of the gate. NOT McNabb. :)

57. By Voice of Reason on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Kolb was a high second round selection that hasn’t been able to start consistenty for the Eagles. No way he’s worth the #5. I’d give up my #2 for him, though.

If that deal went down, the Cards should STILL SIGN A FREE AGENT like Bulger.

Look at the Steelers’ quarterbacks yesterday. All three had NFL starting experience and have played well in the role before. And they have one of the elite guys in Big Ben. We need at least two with starting experience (keeping Skelton as #3 — and no, I don’t consider the last few games when we’re out fo the playoffs as significant “experience).

I say Bulger and one other. DA and Hall get cut.

58. By jocards on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Ummm, no team trades a QB for a Kicker. I like Feeley and he had a very good season but he’s a kicker.

59. By Kolb on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

why wouldnt you trade a 1st round pick for a proven QB like Kolb, i think that would be a great choice. You wouldnt be wasting time and money on gamble. He’s already shown he can play and he wants to start, just saying

60. By Paul Buck on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

While we talk about QB we should take a look at Alex Smith. He has the tools and has been in a bad situation at SF for years. He should be available and at a reasonable price. What do you think, Urban?

61. By Wampag on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

sorry D my logic is crazy I guess my question is Breston you think we are keeping him and living in Philly after Fitzy’s comment at the SB all of Philly is abuzz about Kold and another unamed player for our 5th pick

62. By We'll miss Q on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Harold,

Newton played in the spread offense. No qb has been able to make a smooth conversion to the pros from that offense in college.(Alex Smith ring a bell)? Also with his complete lack of a base, meaning only 1 real year as a starter, couples with his family baggage, there is NO WAY the cards spend the #5 overall pick on him.

63. By latch on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Dynasoar,

You must be an old fart almost old as me……………Remember the 70′s?

64. By K-DUB on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Could the Cards get both Butler and Horton?

65. By gmosteel1 on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

for all of you hating on bulger you obviously have no clue what you are talking about. sure he took a lot of hits and had it rough his last couple years in st louis but try looking up his highlights. his plays speak for themselves. he’s washed up?? please. everyone was saying that about warner in st louis and the short time that he was on the giants. but what happened everyone?? he came to arizona and flourished. i bet bulger would be great for this organization because you can get a quality player for less money, and not have to worry about the fitzgerald situation. if i was fitz i would love to have bulger at qb. a guy who has played with guys like torry holt, and isaac bruce, and marshall faulk.

66. By Darren Urban on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Kolb –

RE: Kolb trade

Your reasoning is flawed: “a proven QB like Kolb.” That’s just it — he’s not proven.

67. By Darren Urban on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Paul Buck –

RE: Alex Smith

I agree he should be available. I don’t know if he really has the tools, however.

68. By steve on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Why not McNabb?? We can get him cheap — and I liken it to the Kurt Warner pickup/situation — He is 34 and considered done (just like Warner was when we picked him up).. He is a proven winner (what 5 NFC Conference game and 1 super bowl appearance).. Probably get him for a 5th rounder (or even less) — he can help Skelton & Hall — draft for need at #5.. My personal opinion is add ferocious pass rusher, a excellent blocking/catching tight end and Mcnabb and the team wins 11-12 games next year

69. By Darren Urban on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Wampag –

RE: Breaston/Kolb

I don’t know about Breaston. I peg it at 50/50 right now. As for a trade, nothing can happen until there is a new CBA. And we are assuming the Eagles are willing to trade him.

I will be very surprised if this team gives up the No. 5 pick for Kolb.

70. By Wampag on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

thanks D he looks like big ben and I know Whiz likes that look

71. By Mark in Chandler on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

CBA is the 8000 pound gorilla in the room. The approach varies on whether there is a CBA by the draft. I am optimistic a new CBA will be in place by the draft which is contrary to your fundamental being:-)

If CBA is done by draft: I still think Orton and then Kolb are the main targets of the off season and I lean towards Orton. Broncos will part with him. They are just trying to get some trade leverage back from previous gaffs by Elway. Kolb will be over paid. He is decent but he has not shown he is a premier QB. I might trade a 2nd but definately not more than that. (I’ll save my scouting report on Kolb for another time.) If Orton or Kolb are aquired then I would not draft a QB in any round. Let Skelton sit as #2 and learn to call the plays.

If no trade is in the offering by the time free agency starts then you have to push hard for Bulger. If they get Bulger then I am not sure I would draft a QB this year either. This draft is a lot deeper at QB than last year but there are no QBs that clearly will be starters. They are all projects with big question marks. With so many other needs you would have to feel confident that there is a good chance that a rookie QB will likely become better than Skelton in order to use a pick that normally is used on an intended starter. the obvious is that if they are not clearly better than Skelton then don’t draft them.

If No CBA by Draft then that changes everything. You just can’t take the risk that the lockout will run to the season and you are left with the same group of QBs they have now. If there is not CBA by the draft then you use a 2nd round pick to get a QB. There are no 1st round QBs in this draft in my opinion since Luck pulled out. Some will be drafted in the 1st round but none are worth it. But there are many who are 2nd-3rd round value and the Cardinals could find a solid project in those rounds to compete with Skelton. But make no mistake, If the Cardinals hope to find a QB who will take them to the playoffs in 2011 we will all be disappointed. If Orton, Kolb, or Bulger are not on the team in 2011 it would be hard to consider 2011 as anything more than a rebuilding year- which means Fitz may find greener pastures.

72. By Darren Urban on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

K-Dub –

RE: Butler/Horton

First they need a DC, and then we will see if there are going to be more changes on the staff. Don’t know Horton’s contract status though or how close he is with Butler.

73. By Darren Urban on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Steve –

RE: McNabb cost

He may be cheap trade-wise, but I guarantee you no one — this team or any other — is going to pay him the $12 million or whatever he is under contract for next season knowing the Redskins will likely cut him because they wouldn’t want to pay him that either.

74. By az1965 on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Definitely not willing to give up #5 pick for Kolb… I’m not too sure about Kolb. He is certainly better than the crap we have but is he worth #5 pick? I don’t know. He might be the next franchise QB or he may just be someone above average. We have too many holes and we need to get a pass rusher with the #5 pick since none of the QB’s in draft are worthy of the #5 slot, IMO.

I’m not sure about Bulger as well as the starting QB. #2, yes, but if he is starting, we are in trouble next year as well.

Skelton is still too raw.

McNabb is done.

Definitely do not want Young.

There is just no easy QB solution out there… Graves/Whiz will have to do some magic to pull something out of the hat.

75. By WarnerFan#13 on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

I live in WV and I recall seeing in the paper about Chad Pennington likely to not be in Miami after the seasons over so I say we should try to get these QB’s and in this order on the depth chart-
    1.)Marc Bulger
    2.)Chad Pennington
    3.)John Skelton

76. By stantheman on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

GO CARDINALS, FFF, WE’LL GET BACK TO THE BIG GAME!

77. By Phoenixraven1 on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Bulger it is! Defense with The #5 pick, qb with #37!

78. By jocards on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Clearly the lack of a CBA makes all player movement possibilities a moot point…Assuming a new CBA gets done however the Cardinals must explore all options at QB. I was once in favor of Vince Young but am not any longer, too much baggage. Considering his history the team is not going to hand him a starting job & he might not be so keen on having to win a job in camp no matter who he was competing against…and as Darren pointed out to me, what if he didn’t win the starting job? I don’t want VY sulking on the bench creating a disasterous locker room. McNabb is a west coast offense guy with the end of his career coming closer and closer and he is coming off a bad season. No thanks. Kolb if you can get him for a 2nd & a 4th I’d say go for it but I don’t think he can be had for less than a #1…Brings me back to Bulger and I believe he might be a viable option. He is accurate, reportedly knows the offense and should be healthy after having held a clip board for a season. He could probably be had for between 3-4 million and has been endorsed by Arizona football diety Kurt Warner.

79. By cody on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

what is you opinion on Marc Bulger? do you think he is truly done, or was just in a bad situation in St.Louis?

80. By Darren Urban on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Cody –

RE: More Bulger

I replied to a fan on another posting:

“I don’t think Bulger is any worse of an option than Hasselbeck (but you chose to ignore that). I pointed out the stats between the two, (http://www.nfl.com/players/matthasselbeck/profile?id=HAS536799 and http://www.nfl.com/players/marcbulger/profile?id=BUL162264) but you ignored that too. I watched the Rams completely implode while Bulger was there. Was he part of the problem? Yes, just like Hasselbeck was part of the problem in Seattle. Was he the reason they went 3-32 (I am going by your numbers now)? Not the only reason. If you switched Hasselbeck and Bulger on teams, do I think those teams would end up with the same records? Pretty much yes.”

“You can disagree. That’s fine.”

“They don’t want McNabb, and I don’t see that changing, even if he becomes a FA. Orton and Kolb would take currency of some form (picks, I assume) in a trade. Bulger is a FA, which is a selling point. They already considered him last year. And, again, Fitzgerald sounds like he’d be on board with the idea of Bulger. I hope I didn’t miss anyone you mentioned.”

81. By Paddock on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

If any team gets its hands on our #5 pick it should be Cincy for Palmer. Hell that team is in worst shape than us, we could get him for far less. Would you want to go into a season with a Qb that dosent want to be there. Palmer is proven, and has years ahead of him. Kolb please, you might as well play Skelton. This team needs help all over, unless all the young players that got time playing this year keep stepping it up. We will never win a SB w/ the players we have on D. I luv Wilson, but he needs to be moved from safety. I’m sick of seeing him get burned in pass coverages time and time again. What he was doing in the ProBowl i’ll never understand. It should have been Rhodes, he played far better. As far as Coaches, Grimm needs to go, Whiz needs to stop play calling and get a good OC, and of course a DC. We have a lot of work to do, every team in our division is putting the time and money in we need to match that and do it better.

82. By RIan on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

@WarnerFan#13

You read my mind. That’s 2 of the most accurate QB’s ever and could really help manage the game and teach Skelton (or any young QB) the nuances of the game. Granted Pennington gets injured easily and Bulger has questions as well but we wouldn’t have to give up picks and we could get through 16 games with that group……

Maybe not 18 games though .

83. By ChristianEZ on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

This draft isn’t a good one for a QB to be taken in the 1st round. People mention the top 5 QBs and the best one there is Newton. However, I don’t see him going as high as #5. I like him and I think he’s a special talent but I believe he’s a middle round pick just because of the talent available in the 1st half of the draft. QB has to be a very accurate pick in the top half of the draft. If Cards keep the #5, draft a top defensive talent. We need help in all positions. If Cards trade down to middle of pack (to say pick up Kolb), then take Newton. He’ll have offensive value all over the field. I think the Cards should keep their pick and go defense with it. As for QB: Orton if Denver will take a 2nd round pick OR Bulger if Cards don’t want to trade for a QB. Bulger pretty much ran the same system Warner did in STL and here in AZ. Timing/accurate throws are important to this system. The line will hold up if the throws leave in time. The receivers are experienced in the system and so are the RBs. The OL can pick up talent in free agency. ***This is all with saying that the CBA will be worked out (I’ve never thought an unproven ROOKIE should make $50mil up front without stepping onto the field. Results often are like 49ers/Alex Smith situation). I think the CBA will get worked out and the entire season will be played out. Greed…I mean money…is in play. Players/Owners want to make money. Can’t do that from the sidelines***

84. By Dynosoar on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Latch,

I remember the 70′s (or was that the 80′s, no deffinately the 70′s, I think). Did you say old? Jim Hart, Roy Green, Otis Anderson, man they were great. I didn’t start pating attention to specific players till the 80′s.

How long have you been a fan? Since 1977 for me.

Cardinals in Indy for 2012!

85. By Scott H on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Big RedFan -

You were kidding about giving Anderson another chance…right?

General thoughts…first, I’m glad to see the names Kolb & Bulger being more prominent in the discussion than Young & McNabb. For me, it’s pretty simple – Bulger makes sense only if they are thinking about Skelton or whoever they draft this April as their future at QB. That’s fine. Bulger will probably not lead us anywhere but that won’t really be why he’s here. He’ll be a good guy for the young guys to learn from and he’ll play as long as it takes for the young guys to be reasonably ready. Period. But Bulger as THE answer at QB for the next few years? No. Definitely not.

But Kolb? You trade for him to be THE guy. Right now and – hopefully – for the future. Because I really don’t know any of the college QB’s very well, I have to say Kolb is the option I like best. And would I trade a first round pick for him? Well, yes, I would. And, really, why not? He is a young QB who HAS proven that he can play at the NFL level. How is that NOT worth a first round pick? Seems to me that picking a QB in the first round is – AT BEST – a 50-50 shot. They take a rookie in the draft, there is no telling when he will be able to play or IF he will EVER be able to play. They trade for Kolb, they get a guy who we KNOW can play and he is ready to go RIGHT NOW. That said…I would prefer they try to get Kolb at a lower price and keep the 1st rounder to spend on a stud defensive player. Now, THAT would be a great start to a great off-season! Can I get an AMEN???

86. By ross on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

I think we should just give the ball to hightower and beanie til their legs fall off…and then give it to the hyphen.

87. By Birdfan21 on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Darren, why do people jump on the Skelton band wagon when in both games he played at the end he did not complete 50% of his passes in either one, but Kevin Kold did not have a bad showing any time on the field and spent his time between a proven vet in a great system but you and everyone else show reason to pass on him? I agree the number 5 maybe be a little high to spend but to trade down and pick up either defensive help or o lone help and then maybe trade the 1st rd away doesn’t seem to outrageous

88. By brad oneill on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Kevin kolb has the most upside of any experienced qb that might be available.
    he has some years under his belt but hasn’t been driven into the turf nearly as much or bulger or mcnabb or even orton.

One thing that is interesting is that kolb didnt get into a game until his second year and he was 17 for 34 for 144yards and zero touchdowns and 4 picks.

Skelton was 60 for 126 this year for 662 yards for 2 tds and 2 ints. now obviously kolb has gotten quite a bit better since his first real game time and I am certain the same will be true for skelton.

the question is do we want a mentor for skelton or do we want a guy who will be fighting Skelton tooth and nail for 1 spot.

The philosophy of this team seems to lean towards the we want guys who are going to fight and die for a single position but i would say the bryan robinson/williams relationship was far more beneficial for the team than the greg toler/trumane mcbride battle. Granted toler was our best cb this year but trumane mcbride didn’t seem to have a lot left for the team once he was passed over. Im not saying he quit, im saying he was damaged by the battle.

89. By Chris B on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

There are a few other QBs out there that might not be officially “on the table” but are worth mentioning:

Matt Moore – Carolina
    A franchise guy? Maybe. He won when he started in 2009. Can’t blame him for not winning last year since the Pathers couldn’t win anything.

Dennis Dixon- Pitsburg
    Will they give him up? Probably not but the answers always ‘no’ unless you ask.

Alex Smith – San Fran
    Franchsie QB? Maybe. Show some spark but not exactly in the best situation in San Fran either.

Matt Flynn – Gree Bay
    A gamble for sure but at this point, who isn’t?

Chase Daniel- NO
    Previous poster listed this one and I agree

Trent Edwards- Jacksonville
    Who knows? Could be something.

Jason Campbell/Bruce Gradkowski- Oakland
    They both proved they can win games.

David Garrard- Jacksonville
    The answers no unless you ask.

Shaun Hill/Drew Stanton- Det
    They were winning/keeping it close in Detroit.

Tarvaris Jackson- Minn
    Could he be worse than what we had?

Chris Redman- Atlanta
    Mid range QB, but can winn games.

Would these guys be on the table? Maybe, why not ask if they fit the system and you think they’ll win some games for you.

Kolb will be expensive. Mcnabb (though I like him) probably won’t be coming here. Bulger is a likely possiblilty but some of these other guys could be available for the right price.

90. By Scott H on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Changing the topic from QB to CB…story of NFL.com from Jason LaCenfora reporting that the Cardinals will be pursuing Butler…that Steelers officials expect him to take the job in Arizona…and a Steelers source saying that they will not try to block Butler from leaving. Sounds good. I can’t say I know Butler is the guy…but getting the guy who was basically the heir-apparent to Dick Lebeau for the Steelers seems like a good choice to me. BUT I wonder…might Lebeau decide to retire and cause the Steelers to change their tune about letting Butler leave??? Ya know what? Since he appears to be THE guy the Cardinals have been holding out for all this time, let’s get rollling. Get him in, interview him, and get him hired. Git-R-done!

91. By TBru on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

as much as I can’t stand DA I think him having a year in the system has more upside than bringing in Bulger

92. By Josh on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

I Think the cardinals need to draft defense. Do not draft another qb, i think they should get either mcnabb or kolb. Our defense is so horrible work on the draft with that then just get a veteran qb and will be set.

93. By Sackman on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

For all you Bulger fans, I was at the game 2 years ago when Kurt went down in St.Louis. Watching Leinart and Bulger play. Was like watching 2 high school football players trying to fit in with the Pro’s. It was a very bad game in the 2nd half. I have family and friends back in St.Louis and they say we would be making a Huge mistake taking Bulger. Bulger took so many hits from a bad offenseline that he was scared to play. Same issues here a bad offensiveline. When Kurt left them back in the day, they couldn’t and wouldn’t of said that about him. So, I would put Bulger and Anderson in the same sentence. Please go elsewhere with the QB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

94. By Jerry on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Darren
    I know we QB issues but I know we also have front line issues, is there any prospects on that situation?

95. By Darren Urban on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Jerry –

RE: OLine

Right now? No. Way too early in the offseason. This is all just talk, even with the QBs.

96. By 85301 fan on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

MC NABBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
    I REMBER AT A GAME WHEN EVERY BODY WAS CHANTING 4 LINART AND CALLING 4 WANER HEAD MC NABB IS NOT DONE WE TO GO DEFFFENE THRU OUT THE DRAFT AND LEARN HOW TO RUN THE BALL THEN GO DEEP TO FITZ JEZZY #5 WILL B A CARDNIAL OR FITZ IS GONE REMEBER WHAT HE DID WHITH TO AND LOOK WHAT HE DID 2 YEAR AGO ALMOST BEAT US IN THE NFC CHAMP GAME HE JUST NEED TO B LOVE IN AZ SUPERBOWL BOUND 2011 HE NEVER HAD PLAY MAKER BUT WHEN HE DID LOOK WHAT HE DID

97. By tyman on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

The only reason bulger took over for WARNER in STL is because warner broke his thumb. People Bulger did nothing with the rams!!! if we get him its going to be way worst that the DA move. Its like saying well lets continue to suck it up. At least a guy like Mcnabb has lead a team to a super bowl. A guy like Orton has won just about every single season hes started…..for the exeption of this season where he lost his best WR and still put up godly numbers. VY has only won as a starter, he could be smart pickup even though darren says it wont happen. Remeber MV. Even Palmer isnt a bad guy to bring up, look at how good the harvard QB did this year after getting out of cincy. I really dont want to see us loose again because of stupid fan pressures…wait lets go back in time and keep matt and just miss the playoffs and have the fans saying lets give him one more year…..hes as good as manning…..lol. Thats what would have happened. We got some smart and not so smart fans.

98. By Mark on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

I was hoping for the Cardinals to get Bulger instead of Anderson this year! We need him and Ryan Mallet as our new qb’s!!

99. By Scott H on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Steve -

RE: “Why not McNabb? We can get him cheap…”

And, of course, you’ve talked to McNabb’s agent and you know this for a fact, right? C’mon, man. Hey, I’m certainly no fan of McNabb’s but that doesn’t magically bring his value down. I, personally, want no part of him in Arizona. But he is still generally regarded by many around the league as a top tier QB. AND have you been looking at the level of QB play around the league lately??? Have ya noticed that it sucks? OK…so, it shouldn’t take a slide rule to figure out that if the guy has value and there are plenty of teams that need a QB, then you’re not gonna get him “cheap.” He’s not Terrell Owens of last year. Not yet, anyway.

100. By jzoully on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Ok first off it is better to put your 5th Pick into Tyron Smith from USC, who was a tremendous athlete, and with much discipline could become a blocker like Eugene Monroe. That will help us with the left side, put Levi Brown onto the right side where he is more comfortable, and set Brandon Keith as a right guard. I honestly believe that Alan Fanaca, Duece Lutui, and Lyle Seindline need to be replaced. With our second round draft pick we grab outside linebacker Bruce Carter out of UNC, great pass rusher. Great ability so he would make up for either Clark Haggans or Joey Porter who are destined to leave. 3rd round draft pick we grab John Moffitt, center from Wisconsin, good instincts. We’ll stick the proven athlete Jeremy Bridges at left guard and the offensive line will be set.

Total Draft in my opinion:
    1st Round – Tyron Smith OT USC
    2nd Round – Bruce Carter OLB North Carolina
    3rd Round – John Moffitt C Wisconsin
    4th Round – Greg Romeus DE Pittsburgh
    5th Round – Casey Matthews ILB Oregon
    6th Round – David Carter DT UCLA
    6th Round (2) – Anthony Gaiter CB FIU

101. By jzoully on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Though I know that it makes absolutely no sense but after seeing Lebron James leave from Cleveland to Miami, Peyton Manning is destined to be a free agent, so whats to say he doesn’t go to a team that has a chance to go to the playoffs? Peyton Manning to the Cardinals. Heard it hear from Jzoully.

102. By Jesse Robles on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Wouldn’t you say any young QB is going to be good is premature. We should draft another QB but not with the 5th pick. We saw what happens when you waste a first round draft pick on a QB that is not promising like Luck, or Bradford. Any QB that is a Tom Brady is just luck any way. I think if we get Kolb, just let Skelton chill and learn more. He made great plays for a rookie an people have forgot about him, and talking about him like he’s a vet. He didn’t make many mistakes, I think with another off season, he could be decent. We need Von Miller!! Our O line needs to be better along with our CB’s.

103. By Javi on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

hey darren what about the dc position have the cardinals talked to anyone??

104. By Big Red on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Surprise to everybody, Big news flash… Me and coach Whiz are the only ones that know that John Skelton will be starting next season. You tell me which rookie QB was better than 50% of his passing in his first year. If flacco, bradford, and ryan can be good in there first year, why don’t you all have the confidence in Skelton. This kid is going to proof you all wrong.

105. By AndyStandsUp on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Darren, on a scale of 1 to 10, how likely is DA to make next year’s team, IYO?
    And no Spinal Tap kind of ratings.
    Also, in my strange little world, I realized that the new Arizona Cardinals Defensive Coordinator will have to be a Hells Bells, TNT, kind of coach that will send players on a Jail Break that will shake the opponents All Night Long.
    After all, he’ll be the new AC/DC.

106. By Brad on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Why do we have 2 power backs in a system that can’t run the ball? Trade Beanie for Kolb, i’m sure Eagles would love a decent power back to compliment McCoy. Then we can focus on getting a WR in 1st round, we need a 2nd potent WR that can take advantage on 1-1 coverage with Fitz drawing so much attention. Or why not trade back a bit in 1st round and take Cam Newton, everyone is talking him down, but just watch the footage, this guy has huge skills, he could develop into an unstoppable force!

107. By NJAzCardsFan on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

DA starting next year???? Are you kidding????
    Hmmm…. Maybe that wouldn’t be so bad…. We then would have the #1 pick in the 2012 draft. Personally, I couldn’t stomach another year with Disaster Always at QB. He should be banned from football…. It was just that ugly/sickening watching him.

108. By John the draft guy on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Yes, I remember the 2005 draft.
    People debated that there were no QB’s in that draft, Alex Smith went #1 to SF.
    Then another Qb dropped into the 20′s before a team finally drafted him.
    I think alot of teams would have wished they drafted Aaron Rodgers with the 3rd, 4th, 5th picks.

So, everyone on this board, when you say there is no QB’s worth drafting at the 5th pick, How are you determining that?

I see many post saying Patrick Peterson should be the pick. Reminds me of another great athlete corner who eventually was moved to safety; Antrel Rolle.
    Hmmm lets see, who did we pass on to take Rolle, Oh yes, that QB not worthy of the 9th overall pick- Superbowl MVP Aaron Rodgers.

Just a thought

109. By cattledog on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

i would trade for Orton before kolb
    thats for sure

110. By CrazyLady25 on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Darren –

Remember that we chose John Skelton in the 5th round by trading our starting CB back to the Steelers. The 2010 draft really went away from the QB position; Colt McCoy not going until the 3rd round. If there had been a run on QBs, I think you would have seen Skelton go in the 3rd, and I’d bet we’d be taking him.

So, it’s frustrating that we aren’t talking about John Skelton more. That 4th and 15 against the Cowboys, Skelton 1) completed the pass and 2) went to Fitz — the money. That is not an easy pass to complete, and he completed it.

Bring in Marc Bulger and I guarantee Skelton will beat him out. give the AZ Cardinals SCOUTS a lot of credit for finding him.

111. By Darrel on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

I want him too. But let’s look at the big picture … the combine isn’t here yet nor the draft so that awnsers the? How many team syou know tell ther. Fans who there drafting Befor it happens

112. By Khardz on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Whiz, Miller and Butler…sounds better Than Whiz and Davis.

113. By bluepitt on Feb 8, 2011 | Reply

“as the Cards are finding out after the Leinart pick in 2006, taking a QB high means you are committing to that guy as your future — and if you miss, it puts you in a bad position.” hahahaha dude didn’t even get a chance with Whiz….I’m going to crack up if and when he light’s it up……A little faith goes a long way with people like Leinart…Nice article on the pass play calling D. hahah now if we could get clarification of why we threw the ball 3/4 of the time sucking at QB……..Your article, made it very visible to me why we suck on O, to many chiefs and no indians…. seems like a lot of crap just to get prepped for a game. Whiz and Haley use to do it (arguing) in one night (lot of prep prior but one night) or so it was reported. Now it is pass this along, post this, discuss this, O… I have to crap, smell this, and at the end of the week sit down with 20 people and argue on what to do in the passing game! what a cluster. Warner hid all these faults with his in game play calling or changing. Darren, just for the record, was Leinart the answer? Probably not, but this was his make or break year and Whiz didn’t even give him a shot. We cut him to keep 2 rook’s who played good vs other rooks playing on their level. Fact is and was at the time we were a play off team with Matty this year, and took an non calculated risk at the expense of millions of AZ fans paying good $ to support this team. So when you say “Miss” that had yet to be proven, and very presumptuous given the fact he lost his job to a future HOFer in Warner. And before it is said, Look up Warner’s Passing Stats with Denny we were top 3 in the NFL in passing with Warner at the helm Prior to Whiz. Even with him throwing off his A$$ due to lack of protection. Mats stats were solid going in to this year given his playing time, especially the year he played the most with 12 games and a 74.0 Rating 56.8% and 212yds per game and it was his rooky year!!!!!!! Compare to Andersons 12 games this year 65.9 Rat 51.7 % and 171yd avg. Compare rook to rook and Matty killed skelton in his first 5 games VS Skeltons first 5 games And Matty had a way crappeyer team, and was thrown in to the fire from the start Skelton had time to get a feel for the scheme… Ah Screw it It don’t matter now…… Lets see what a mess Whiz can make of it now! Its a new week and this was my weekly rant. Thanks Darren.
    PS: look at Matt Ryan’s 09 stats hahah as good as Leinart’s first and second season stats! But he sucks as per Whiz!!!!!

114. By Alec Horne on Feb 8, 2011 | Reply

Peter King is an idiot. Cardinals will NOT be picking a qb at 5 after drafting a rookie and signing a free agent rookie. They are looking for a vet to come in and take the reins until skelton is ready. Personally i think trading for orton is the best option

115. By Mr.Dylan on Feb 8, 2011 | Reply

Darren-

what do you think of this report—-http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/07/cardinals-commence-pursuit-of-keith-butler/

116. By Darrel on Feb 8, 2011 | Reply

So. What spead qb was 6″6 250 and only 6% body fat could run a 4.5. With cannon arm. And great leadership skills. Plz. Find me that guy . (Lebron james maybe but wrong sport) newton is unique .. and the whole one season thing is underlooked because look what he did with only one season. At juco and in the best conference in country (sec) an the numbers he put up are crazy 51 total touchdowns umm best mode all season despite all the neagitvity going on. If u don’t like him go watch that auburn vs alabama game that’s a nick saban defense. And he has top nfl talent all over the place and for you too say he’s not worthy of top pick is just not a good point …

117. By Patrick on Feb 8, 2011 | Reply

I think John Skelton has the ability to become a VERY good QB in the future. He showed a lot of promise with his gutsy performance in the Dallas game. And he has much more potential than Kevin Kolb. You have to remember Kolb had his chance to start early in the season and lost it to Micheal Vick. In his start against opponents Kolb didn’t show good composure in the pocket.

Kolb is a pollished QB, but we still don’t know how that will translate with the Cardinals. And a 1st round pick to get him is pretty much out of the question. Also Kolb isn’t what you would call an ideal size QB, and with the way the OL has been playing I doubt he has the body to take punishing blows.

John Skelton on the other hand has shown great compouser and poise in the pocket. He is mobile and can make alot of plays on his feet when he has to. Skelton is one of those players who is hard to bring down. He whiffed off that sack from DeMarcus Ware which never happens. Even NFL greats such as Joe Theisman, John Lynch and Daryl Johnson spoke highly of him and made the comparision to Joe Flacco and Big Ben.

Many look at his accuracy percentage and say he didn’t throw over 50%. Well, it wasn’t all is fault either… When the OL isn’t giving him time to throw and the recievers aren’t catching the ball there is little any QB can do. At times he was right on target and the WRs still weren’t catching the ball. To top it off he is still a rookie, and he is prone to making mistakes.

All in all, the most important stat isn’t his completion percentage it his his turnover percentage which is pretty good. At the end of the day Whisenhunts main priority on offense is ball security, and I think John Skelton is safter with the football than Kevin Kolb. He has thrown 2 INTS in 4 games which is impressive considering how bad the OL played the entire year. I think Whisenhunt made the right call in drafting him, and I can definately see him winning a SB for the Cards some time in the near future.

118. By cardsalltheway on Feb 8, 2011 | Reply

“Flood the QB position,”
    Five QB’s weren’t enough this past season, how many does Ken W. need?
    There may be less time to evaluate MORE QB’s / “Flooded QB position.” How on earth can Ken W. make a correct decision with more QB’s(assuming you don’t think five QB’s count as a “Flooded QB position” — Or you think keeping 4 QB’s on the team(whether practice squad or roster) is the thing to do.

Ken has showed us this past season he isn’t very good at assessing the QB position. We went from Leinart, to DA, to the undrafted rookie free agent(M. Hall), to the 5th round draft choice(J. Skelton), and then the last guy. To put it mildly, Ken W. fumbled the QB position and/or the offense last year and ought to be benched.

119. By RelayTV on Feb 8, 2011 | Reply

Regarding Pennington and Bulger.

Chad Pennington is the #1 most accurate passer OF ALL TIME.

His completion percentage is better than any other QB in history.

But the guy is fragile. He threw 2 passes this season before his shoulder blew out again. Now he’s having surgery for the 4TH TIME!

I don’t think there’s any way that he could take the pounding that we give our QB’s here in the desert.

Also, his long ball is done. He can’t stretch the field anymore, that means no long bombs to Fitz in double coverage. Hell Fitz out ran Warner’s passes often. We need someone who can throw deep.

Bulger is 16th on the all time accuracy list. He knows our offense, Fitz and coach Whiz like him. He seems to have a lot going for him, and since Whiz wanted him last time, I have a feeling he will be here next season, BUT…

He is heading downhill. His stats don’t lie. Not to mention he didn’t play at all this season. If we bring in Bulger, he would have to have a MIRACLE COMEBACK like Kurt did.

That seems like trying to catch lightning in a bottle — twice.

Carson Palmer? Yeah he’s real good, but I can’t imagina ANY scenario where the bengals let him go. Who are they going to replace him with?

Nope, we have a better chance of prying Kolb away from the eagles than Palmer.

Jon Kitna is a better bet than either Palmer, Bulger or Pennington. He played real well this season and has the heart of a lion. He will come here and push everyone on the offense to be better, just like Haley did, and he’ll do it at a bargain price.

If we can’t get Kitna, then we should go after Shaun Hill from the lions — #19 all time accuracy.

120. By mike b on Feb 8, 2011 | Reply

Darren- couple questions here
    1) Has coach wiz been fired? I don’t see any article confirming he has like you said in this post.
    2) What are our chances of getting a vet QB if the CBA gets worked out?
    3.) Who do you see leaving the cards next season? (as in retirements or writing is on the wall will not return)

121. By Darren Urban on Feb 8, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands –

RE: DA rating

I assume you mean 10 being a lock for the roster?

I don’t think we need a rating. I will be absolutely stunned if Anderson is on the roster for 2011.

122. By Darren Urban on Feb 8, 2011 | Reply

Mr. Dylan –

RE: Report

Umm, it’s well written? What do you want me to say? The fact the Cards are going after Butler has been out there practically since the day Davis was let go.

123. By Darren Urban on Feb 8, 2011 | Reply

Mike B –

RE: Questions

1) I have no idea what you are talking about.
    2) I think they sign a veteran QB.
    3) I think Bryan Robinson retires. Not sure on Faneca. As for “wall writing,” it’s a little early. Some of that depends on how fast the new CBA is worked out.

124. By Darrel on Feb 8, 2011 | Reply

Just cause he looks like. A bodybuilder doesn’t mean can block… I think he falls to second round. Anway just another bruce cambell to me

125. By badyear on Feb 8, 2011 | Reply

Anyone who thinks McNabb is the answer must not understand the question!!!

McNabb will be in another Super Bowl only if he buys a ticket.

126. By jocards on Feb 8, 2011 | Reply

Okay, I think that Skelton has some potential. He might someday develop into a viable NFL starter but when I read comments that folks can definitely see him leading the team to a SB title I have to pause. Really?!? Where on earth does that assertion come from? Skelton is a project, he looked good at times and not so good at times. Realistically anybody that can definitely see him leading the team to a title in the near future can see just about anything they want to see. We don’t even know if he can be an adequate NFL QB much less a QB capable of leading a SB team. I’m hoping he develops but it is far from a sure thing.

127. By Mike on Feb 8, 2011 | Reply

QB stats

PASSING Att Cmp Yds Cmp% Yds/Att TD TD% Int Int% Long Sack/Lost Rating

D. Anderson 327 169 2065 51.7 6.3 7 2.1 10 3.1 43 25/176 65.9

J. Skelton 126 60 662 47.6 5.3 2 1.6 2 1.6 74 9/65 62.3

D. McNabb 472 275 3377 58.3 7.2 14 3.0 15 3.2 76 37/271 77.1

R. Grossman 133 74 884 55.6 6.6 7 5.3 4 3.0 64 9/77 81.2

K. Kolb 189 115 1197 60.8 6.3 7 3.7 7 3.7 83 15/99 76.1

K. Orton 498 293 3653 58.8 7.3 20 4.0 9 1.8 71 34/243 87.5

C. Palmer 586 362 3970 61.8 6.8 26 4.4 20 3.4 78 26/201 82.4

M. Bulger 247 140 1469 56.7 5.9 5 6 14/85 70.7
    This is Bulgers stats from 2009

P. Manning 679 450 4700 66.3 6.9 33 4.9 17 2.5 73 16/91 91.9

128. By Lyn Matlock on Feb 8, 2011 | Reply

I just wonder what Kevin Kolb has done to deserve this much attention,other than lose his job and put up one of the worst performances Iv’e ever seen against the Cowboys. No way you give up a #5 pick for this guy,I don’t believe he’s worth a number 2 either,although I’m sure Andy Reed would love to make a deal like that. Clearly Kyle Orton is the guy to go after,draft some defensive help,and let John Skelton tutor under a guy who knows how to play quarterback. 1st. thing is to get rid of Derek Anderson,lets cut our losses like we did with Leinart.Go Cards!

129. By cards62 on Feb 8, 2011 | Reply

127 responses and counting. Good to see everyone so fired up for QB position.No way we all agree on who we select, but I am just happy that we know we have to get a QB. I think our QB job is a very good one so I hope we sign 2 veterans, and keep Skelton. Skelton could be our answer for the future, but I do not think we risk 2011 all on his shoulders but of course you let him compete to be the starter. My two top choices as long as we do not pay too much for them are Kyle Orton and Marc Bulger, but I would not have a problem with Carson Palmer, Donovan McNabb Kevin Kolb, or even VInce Young. Just give me 2 veterans to choose from. Some people say they will be too expensive but some of these guys are also close to being out of this league like Kurt Warner was so not too expensive as QB position goes. If they do well for us they know they will receive a large pay day.
    It also pleases me that the organization is talking to Fitz about the position. Harder to walk away when you are part of the decision to bring someone in. I do wiish they would include Breaston in these discussions with FItz.
    Go Cards QB, TE, LT, 2 OLB, ILB, CB, and I know it will not happen but an OC.

130. By pacardfan on Feb 8, 2011 | Reply

Not sure i anyone asked this yet Darren, utwhat are your thoughts on Calson Palmer if he were to be avb.? I know Cin. said they aren’t letting him go, but if he does end up getting his way, u think he may be an opt.?

131. By Darren Urban on Feb 8, 2011 | Reply

pacard –

RE: Palmer

I’d consider it, but it depends on the price. And if you trade for him, he’s got a huge contract. Not sure he’s worth that kind of cash anymore.

132. By Nate on Feb 8, 2011 | Reply

Any thoughts on Tarvaris Jackson from Minnesota? I like watching him play but fear he will throw interceptions.

133. By Cert 33 on Feb 9, 2011 | Reply

Just need a veteran of good character to come in and challenge Skelton for the starting job. Big John will be a great QB. He has more potential and better natural gifts than any of the names being thrown around on this post. And please, no inmates or players with arrest records, hasn’t the character of Fitz and Kurt shown you folks anything?

134. By johnnybluenose on Feb 9, 2011 | Reply

BLUEPITT, you’re right. we would have made the play-offs with lineart as our qb. now, i don’t know where we are headed. no sense drafting a qb and expecting him to play in 2011. i don’t consider bulger to be an option. if we don’t get mcnabb i guess we take our chances with skelton…unless we offer jerry jones a whole lot for romo and then jerry can bring in texas hero vince young to be his qb.

135. By Darren Urban on Feb 9, 2011 | Reply

Nate –

RE: Tarvaris Jackson

Not sure he is anything but just a guy.

136. By Junny on Feb 9, 2011 | Reply

Note that Bulger looked very sharp in preseason this year for Baltimore. Some writers and players said that at times, Bulger looked better than Flacco

137. By Big Red on Feb 9, 2011 | Reply

Bluenose get out of here! We don’t need no insight from a girls point of view. Of all people romo sucks and can’t even take a hit, get real.

138. By Eazy E on Feb 9, 2011 | Reply

Bulger better than Flacco at times, save that one for April 1st!

139. By Darrel on Feb 10, 2011 | Reply

Lol and so did max hal cmon. Man u gota. Come better than lol wow

2. Feb 7, 2011: Tweets that mention Word From the Birds BlogFinding that next QB « -- Topsy.com
  3. Feb 7, 2011: Top Posts — WordPress.com