Before I get started on an updated story for the homepage on new defensive coordinator Ray Horton, wanted to put out some key tidbits:
– Horton receives a three-year deal. Coach Ken Whisenhunt said it’s important for coordinators to get a chance to hire his own coach or two — he got that chance under Bill Cowher — and Horton will be doing the same. There were no announcements over who that would be though, nor what positions they will fill. Whisenhunt also stressed any new coaches still have to go through an interview process.
– Horton is clearly all about pressure. He talked about pressuring the other team multiple times. He said the first play in the first game will be a blitz call. He said, “It’s not going to be, ‘Here we go …’ it’s going to be, ‘Here we come.’ “
– He was unfazed by being Whisenhunt’s third defensive coordinator: “Most people don’t marry the first girl they date. Hopefully they marry the best one.”
– There will be tweaks, but no question, he is a Dick LeBeau guy and that’s how this defense will be patterned.
– Horton stayed vague about the talent on the roster. He acknowledged he hasn’t gotten a chance to see a lot of film yet, but he insisted much can be corrected with better technique and fundamentals.
I will have more later.
Tags: coaching staff, Ken Whisenhunt, Ray Horton
Posted in Blog | 58 Comments »