Talk of the tag

Posted by Darren Urban on February 10, 2011 – 4:53 pm

Today is the first day teams can place the franchise tag on potential free agents (it’s a two-week window) and it may not mean much — with the knowledge the current CBA is expiring, the NFLPA is insisting that the end of the CBA also means any tag applied now goes away without a new agreement by March 4. Nevertheless, stars like Colts QB Peyton Manning and Ravens NT Haloti Hgata are expected to get tags, just so their teams can protect themselves in case.

With the Cardinals, it’s unlikely the tag will get used. The Cards didn’t use it last year (after putting it on Karlos Dansby the previous two seasons) and  looking over the current unrestricted free agents doesn’t seem to hold any names that would draw attention. The money for a franchised player is fairly hefty (average of the top five salaries the previous year at that position), and I don’t see the Cards guaranteeing that kind of dough for a Steve Breaston, a Deuce Lutui or a Lyle Sendlein. You never know, but that how it looks from here.

And besides, it may not matter who is tagged or not.

P.S. Ron Wolfley did a long sit-down interview with new DC Ray Horton that will be posted tomorrow morning on azcardinals.com. So keep an eye out for that. (And here it is.)

Tags: , , , ,

78 Responses to “Talk of the tag”

1. By Alexander on Feb 10, 2011 | Reply

Wish we could have franchise tags and use more than one a year b/c sometimes we dont need the tag.

2. By R Robles on Feb 10, 2011 | Reply

Just resign them more simpler

3. By Redrage24 on Feb 10, 2011 | Reply

Better use the tag on fitz and tell them to start spending money

4. By Tyler Brown on Feb 10, 2011 | Reply

Shouldnt we use it on Larry?

5. By AndyStandsUp on Feb 10, 2011 | Reply

Are there any players of other teams that WILL get tagged that the Cards may be targeting, like Pittsburgh’s Woodley? (Pure speculation, of course, no wagering of any kind allowed.)

6. By D on Feb 10, 2011 | Reply

Disappointed the cards didn’t try to resign own players that they want back. Now maybe no other teams go after our players-but why chance it

7. By COLE on Feb 10, 2011 | Reply

Cards really to worry about the QB and D Anderson should be let go and go wit mcnabb

8. By John the draft guy on Feb 10, 2011 | Reply

What would a franchise tag for a guard cost. I know it’s top 5 but what’s the number?

9. By cards>niners on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

darren, will the cardinals cut joey porter?

10. By Darren Urban on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

Tyler, Redrage —

RE: Fitz and tag

Fitz is under contract for 2011.

11. By Darren Urban on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: other tags

Reportedly, Woodley very well could be tagged, yes.

12. By Darren Urban on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

John the draft guy —

RE: Franchise cost

We don’t know. That number is usually announced at the combine, although it may not be this year with the labor issues. Last year, the offensive line franchise number was $10.7 million. For a receiver, it was $9.5 million.

13. By Darren Urban on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

Cards> —

RE: Porter

I think Porter would have to take a pay cut and a lesser role to stay on the team. I’m not sure he’d be willing to do that.

14. By Darrel on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

But darren who else is going to pay him the money he is owed this year he simply is not worth the money he’s making. So hell have to take pay cut anywhere he goes don’t you think ? Why just stay with arizona he is at the end of his career and he’s a family guy so I doubt he’d want to keep moving around when he only has about 2years left maybe less

15. By D on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

Cards should leak that they like Cam Newton, because I think other teams will want to move up to #5 to trade with AZ for him, we could gain additonal picks
    (he looks like Jamacus Russell to me)

16. By Darren Urban on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

Darrel —

RE: Porter?

I assume you are talking about Porter. Maybe you are right. But he is a proud man and he probably already has more money than he needs, so it might not be worth it to him.

17. By Rodgerscromartie17 on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

So what was the point in signing porter in the first place

18. By D on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

I think Mr. B needs to start a new concept this summer-he can’t ask for full payment of season tickets until the labor deal is agreed upon. I don’t mind giving a 20% down payment, but I would rather hold onto my $ until Oct if this unrest continues long into the year…

19. By NJCardsFan on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

3 things . . .

First: I watched the Wolfley interview with Horton and I have to be honest, I really liked what I heard. He sounds very knowledgable and made me feel confident that he can improve the squad. Don’t know how I felt about his corn rows though ??

Second: Can someone please tell Ron Wolfley that when he is interviewing someone he doesn’t have to look at the camera while asking his questions? It was awkward and amateurish.

Third: This is in response to a post by D. Did you see the story on Cam Newton that ESPN ran a day or two ago? I have to admit I was never a fan of Cam Newton with all of his off the field issues, and I also compared him to Russel. But it looks like he may in fact be the real deal. What sold it for me was the endorsement from Trent Dilfer. Dilfer is a very intelligent dude and he said some very positive things about Newton and his throwing and reading abilities. It also seems as though Newton is going to work hard to make himself a great QB. Makes me think the Cards really should look at him with the 5th pick. Darren, did you see that story and what are your thoughts on Newton?

20. By Darren Urban on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

NJCards —

RE: Newton

I think any workout just for the media needs to be taken with a grain of salt. And Dilfer’s comments perhaps need to be taken with a bigger grain of salt (I had a player say that to me). I think that running a few plays with no equipment and no pass rush doesn’t tell you much when it’s a game situation.

21. By D on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

Everyone said the same thing about J. Russell as they are saying about Newton. Let’s say we have no free agency this summer, do you really think the Cards will spend a #5 pick on a kid with little experience in college and no time this offseason to learn under AZ coaches to be the starter next year?. This kid is a 3-4 yr project and I don’t see coach Whiz having that type of time to wait. Skelton would win you more games next year than Newton. And if Skelton is the starter, you will see Coach Whiz work hard to improve the defense and running game.

22. By Scott H on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

Darren-

Back to the QB issue, if I may…it certainly does not appear that things are going well with the CBA negotiations with sessions being cancelled and all. And it does not appear that anything significant is gonna happen before the draft. That means no free agency and no trades. That means that the draft is going to be the first opportunity – maybe the ONLY opportunity that they can be sure of for a long time – to address the QB situation. Despite anything they may WANT to do ( Kolb, Mcnabb, whatever ), will this kinda force the Cardinals to take a QB in the draft because they might be in a position where they can’t afford to do nothing to address the QB position?

23. By Darren Urban on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: QB in the draft

I’m not so sure they weren’t going to address the position in the draft anyway. But yes, that is one of the problems with this situation.

24. By Scott H on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

Darren –

Thanks. It doesn’t seem to me that many people are really getting just how BIG this CBA issue is. People want this guy, they want that guy…hell, there may not even be a 2011 season!!! But while I REALLY don’t think they will let it come to that, it COULD be a situation that isn’t resolved until August. And then what??? There’s been no free agency…no OTA’s…no training camps…no pre-season games…and the season may be starting in a week??? OK, maybe that is close to a worst-case scenario. But it could happen. Where their money is concerned, you know these owners are gonna stand their ground.

So, for everyone clamoring for Kolb, the CB from Oakland whose name I can’t spell, Bulger, whoever – forget it. These guys do not even exist right now. And if a near worst-case scenario ( see above ) plays out, they may not exist at all before the start of the 2011 season.

Even if the Cards drafted Cam Newton – which many people would love – how could he possibly play in 2011 with no training camp and no pre-season games to get him ready???

25. By fitzgeraldfan11 on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

I wouldn’t put a franchise tag on deuce or lyle even if there wassnt talk of lockout.our offensive line played terrible this year it got hard to even watch.breaston on the other hand is a guy we need to keep on our team to keep someone in the slot since doucet is too injury prone.plus I think he’s a free agent this year but overall it doesn’t matter who our QB is next year if our o-line plays the same we won’t win football games period.

26. By Cardinals29DRC on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

The washington post reports that Santana Moss has voided his contract, speaking of Moss, if the CBA issues are settled by March 4th, do you see the cardinals maybe taking a look into him, after getting a QB?

Fitzgerald, Moss, Breaston, and Doucett also getting Kolb to throw them the ball, would be incredibly difficult for Defenses to deal with, its like Boldin except a smaller grade of him

27. By John the draft guy on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

Since we are talking QB’s, I think a name Card fans should get to know is Christian Ponder of Florida ST.

Every draft board had this guy going in the first round before the season. But Ponder has struggled with injuries and was forgotten. But he had an excellent Senior Bowl and with a good combine, could be one of those hidden gems.

I think the cards would be lucky if Ponder is sitting there when we pick in the second round. Forget what some draft boards are saying that he’s a third. Just keep your eye on him.

A Von Miller in the first and Ponder in the second would address our two biggest needs.

28. By Chuck 1 on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

Off topic, BUT;
    I wonder if Goodell would approve a move by the Cards to the AFC Central Division.
    The Cards have so many AFC Central players and coaches that the franchise would fit right in with that Division.
    I think that the only team that we haven’t scavenged from is the Ravens and there must be one of their coaches or players that Whiz would want and Graves could sign.

29. By Darrel on Feb 12, 2011 | Reply

What about him says jamarcus russell ,, jamarcus was a big sloppy body qb there body types are totally different cam is way more of an athlete and way better leader not to mention russell was not as good cam was in college. ….. I just want to know how they compare ,,, let me guess 6″6 black strong armed qb right ? sorry but you are wrong more like josh freeman or Big. Ben

30. By Darrel on Feb 12, 2011 | Reply

Your really dumb. If u think skelton is bonafied starter in the nfl .. and as. For cam I think he’s one year projoect let’s not forget in only took one year for him to master the college game on both the juco level and in the highest level in college and he put his team on his back and carried them through the whole year and can tell me System skelton came from also tell me what skelton has. Done in college or the nfl

31. By Darrel on Feb 12, 2011 | Reply

Imo if cam is gone by time we pick the I would call philly and swap picks and another pick for kolb. If cam and pp7 are there @ 5 then cardinals have a decsion to make I’m torn between the too hopefully this. Cba gets worked out … also I think drc and antonio cromarti would be great …I don’t how close they as family members but I would want to play with my cousin if I had the oppurtunity too but thats just me

32. By Darren Urban on Feb 12, 2011 | Reply

Cardinals29DRC —

RE: S. Moss

I believe there are many more places the Cards need to look before looking at someone like Santana Moss.

33. By drummer-1 on Feb 12, 2011 | Reply

Hey Negative Nancy, I mean Chuck-1, you need to seek help for your anger issue’s, who cares where the coache’s or players come from…I’ll bet if someone Gave you 999.00 dolaars you’ll complain it wasn’t 1000.00.. you are not a happy person, wonder why.. Can you talk football for once and about what the team needs to do to improve..

34. By cards62 on Feb 12, 2011 | Reply

I do hope we selected the right man for our DC position, but I do not know enough about him to know if we got the right guy or not. I would have thought we would have unofficially received word from Pitttsburg on interviewing Butler before we waited so long to ask and were turned down.
    So how many guys did we interview for DC? Was it 4?
    I am glad he took out our secondary coaches and will hope for the best..
    LB coach I will not be upset if he replaces him or gives him one more year. I do not know if anyone could have done better with the group we had this year.

No CBA will be a mess. Do all of you know this means teams will not be able to trade players for draft choices this year. Could really dull up the draft.

I will watch the combine and hopefully get excited about some players, but this does not seam like a great draft. No great QBs or RBs jump out at you. I hope we can trade down a little and pick up another high pick or two.
    I know we need an OLB but are you guys really that excited about the A & M kid? How does he differ that much from Brown we took from Conn?
    If we do not trade down I would take Peterson CB from LSU and Rudolph TE Notre Dame with my second pick and LB and OL with free agency and most of the rest of my picks. I hope we also pick up a WR and RB in free agency.
    Someone mentioned us taking Florida State QB, C. Ponder in the Second round.
    I have watched him play for years and I think he is too risky for the 2nd round when we should be sure to get a very good player with the 37th overall pick.

Go Cards

35. By stevedco on Feb 12, 2011 | Reply

It is intresting to me the only player to stop by the facility to talk to Horton was Joey Porter.

Obvioulsy they have a history but it makes you wonder if Joey is trying to stick with the team.

Horton mentioned both Haggens and Porter in his interview with Wolf. He may want to hold onto Porter even if someone like Von Miller is drafted since it is so hard for rookies to work into his system.

36. By tyman on Feb 12, 2011 | Reply

Porter is a great player. Hes a leader at our LB possition, hes a big man that can run. Why really tear any of the defence up that bad when our offense couldent move the ball. Lets give him one more year and see what he can do. Joey is a tallent and I think Hortan can get some big play potential out of him. I think the weakest part of our D last year was the D-line play anyways and lack of pressure blitzes. But really we were num 1. redzone D so if we had one of the nest red zone offensive teams we could have been a super bowl team. 3 and outs destroy any D. If your going to tear on joey, what about Dockett, Adian Wilson, DRC. No cant do that because they wernt that great but hey use joey as a scape goat you stupid ……… really. Hopefully we can get a Qb and see what our defensive tallent can do. We have tons of tallent at LB, I dont see what darren is saying when he says we need more help thier. Will davis looked really really solid, we need more progression out of our middle. Loosing Dansby means we lost some big plays from the middle. Trust in Whiz.

37. By Where's Jim Hart When Ya Need Him? on Feb 12, 2011 | Reply

Darren-

I am reading today there’s a good chance Ike Taylor leaves Pittsburgh via free agency. As crazy as things are, knowing everything is up-in-the-air,once things settle do you think he has a good chance of being in az??

38. By Kahrdz on Feb 12, 2011 | Reply

I don’t mind if we draft Gabbert but I think Jamarcus Newton is a gamble.

39. By Rodgerscromartie17 on Feb 12, 2011 | Reply

Well if Fitz doesnt get resigned then they really do need to look in that direction

40. By Rodgerscromartie17 on Feb 12, 2011 | Reply

Darren, was was all that talk about Butler and how the Cards were seeking permission and he was likely to take the job, and then the next day they hire Horton? Why didnt they go after butler like they were claiming to do

41. By Darrel on Feb 13, 2011 | Reply

How he’ll would you consider s. Moss befor you wuld think about r.moss or braylon or holmes lol if i they need another wr. I think s.moss would be at the bottom of the list just like boldin injury prone.

42. By JamesinVegas on Feb 13, 2011 | Reply

Not only is Fitz under contract this year, he cannot be Franchise tagged next year either, when his contract is up. It’s in his contract that he cannot be tagged!!

43. By Cert 33 on Feb 13, 2011 | Reply

Horton is going to be a great DC. I wish the owners would grow a pair and tell the union that no inmates or convicted felons will be allowed in the league. It already looks like the state prison rec yard out there. Pro football is suppose to be a sport your kids can watch and if the arrests among the players continue at the rate they have been, my kids aren’t going to be allowed to watch it. Playing in the NFL and making millions is a privlege, not a right. A player should be banished upon conviction of any felony and even certain gross misdemeanors. If it reaches the point that people stop letting their kids watch, eventually the money will dry up, and you will all be amazed how fast the NFL cleans up it’s act.

44. By Cert 33 on Feb 13, 2011 | Reply

There are no NFL-caliber starting QB’s in this years draft. Just long-term projects. There are not going to be any Kurt Warners in the free-agent market either. Of course, it will be very easy to replace Derek Anderson’s spot on the roster as there will be several free-agents available that will fill that role better. I still think Skelton can get it done if he is given the chance, just need a veteran to come in and push him for the job a bit.

45. By Darren Urban on Feb 13, 2011 | Reply

Where’s Jim Hart —

RE: Ike Taylor

I don’t know Taylor’s situation. Could he be a target? I suppose. But “good chance?” No way to know when were are at this point in the labor issues.

46. By Darren Urban on Feb 13, 2011 | Reply

RodgersCro —

RE: Butler

They asked permission to talk to Butler. The Steelers denied it. Don’t you read all the stuff I post? It’s been discussed numerous times.

47. By Scott H on Feb 13, 2011 | Reply

tyman –

I have nothing to say in defense of our offense this past season…but how can you possibly try to defend the defense??? Didn’t we give up the most points in the league, or darn close to it? Never mind the red-zone defense…the fact is, that teams didn’t have to get into the damn red-zone to score against the Cardinals. The whole damn field was a red-zone! And 3 & outs? Are you kidding? Our defense wore itself out by keeping themselves on the damn field as long as they were because they could never make stops. The D was god-awful last year. And I hope the coaches are looking at it that was as well. Because if they don’t, I’m afraid that too much will stay the same.

48. By Andre on Feb 13, 2011 | Reply

Hello Darren and good work on the updates, much appreciated.

There is a little issue with the website. The website favicon is in the wordpress default instead of the normal cardinals version. It looks strange and confuses me with my tabs. I’m sure it does with others as well. Might want to get that fixed. Thanks.

49. By Andre on Feb 13, 2011 | Reply

When should we expect cuts? DA for example.

50. By Darren Urban on Feb 13, 2011 | Reply

Andre —

RE: Website

Not sure what you are seeing. The site is fine on my computer.

51. By Darren Urban on Feb 13, 2011 | Reply

Andre —

RE: Cuts

As I mentioned before, I’m not sure cuts have to be made immediately since I don’t think the Cards have players waiting for roster bonuses.

52. By Scott H on Feb 13, 2011 | Reply

This CBA thing is making everything a very interesting situation these days…like the franchise tags. I guess teams have to assign them or not as they normally would. But until the CBA is resolved and players can start moving, does it matter? No. Right now, players who are not tagged have no more freedom or mobility than those that are! If ya think about it, how unfair is this CBA thing to players who are big-time free agents this off-season??? Normally, they might expect to get the payday of their careers. But they can’t move ( right now ) and that means they can’t make their visits and field offers. THAT really sucks.

Darren, can players sign free agent deals with their existing teams? I would think they can… but the biggest free agent deals tend to happen when players change teams. The players are truly the big losers right now with this thing being stuck where it is.

53. By John the draft guy on Feb 13, 2011 | Reply

I said it once and I’ll say it again.

I keep reading that there are no starting QB’s in this draft.
    Based on What?? Please tell me. There has been no interviews, no tryouts and no combine.

I heard the same thing in 05 with Aaron Rodgers. I heard in 06 it was a great year with the-big-3-cant-misses in Young, Leinart and Cutler. 1 has already been traded, one cut, and the other cut soon.
    In 07, Jamarcus Russell was the next great thing and Kevin Kolb wasn’t good enough for the first round, dropping to 37th pick. Now, half the board wants to trade for Kolb.
    In 09, all I heard was Josh Freeman was going in the second round, Tampa jumped up and took him in the first and turned their team around.

So, Please tell me again why there are no quality QBs in this draft.

54. By TucsonTim on Feb 13, 2011 | Reply

Tag Breaston, if you actually can get a QB he’s worth every penny.

55. By TucsonTim on Feb 13, 2011 | Reply

Actually, I just came back to my senses. Unless you can get a QB that can find a receiver in a micro second, as long as Russ Grimm is the O-line coach this team is doomed. Teams all over the league had back ups to back ups playing and did well. Steelers were down to back up tackles and center. Does this guy have pictures or something? Tell M BIDWILL that I’ll take the job for a mere 1 MILL and still have the worst rusing offense…etc. That MILL saved will go a long way to payng for JET-A for his Citation X.

56. By Andre on Feb 13, 2011 | Reply

My bad, I deleted my cookies and cache, works fine. thanks.

57. By Andre on Feb 13, 2011 | Reply

I take that back. When I go to the blog it still comes up with the wordpress favicon. It does it in explorer, chrome, and firefox. The homepage is fine along with the main articles.

58. By Rodgerscromartie17 on Feb 13, 2011 | Reply

is the are news to why they denied? I was talking the whole thing with a grain of salt anyway because i know half of the things these nfl “insiders” dish out is never correct, but hey they gotta save thier jobs somehow right?

59. By tyman on Feb 13, 2011 | Reply

You know cards fans I would give porter even more money. You know coaches and players cant come out and ever complain about the officials without getting fined…..watch what joey does every single time the refs start making bad calls. Hes right in thier huddel with his hands on his hips. I dont think anyone wants to win as bad as joey dose. Mark my words, “Joey will bounce back next year, for sure”. We have more than enough tallent on d all ready. Listen to our new DC saying that tha steelers where not the most tallented group of players, but played the system. well he said somthing like that. Lets see what the new system brings next year, and see how much better we can be without 3 and outs.
    Quick replie to Scott H.
    “Never mind the red-zone defense” Are you kidding? Trading 7 for 3. Next to turning the ball over on D, its the next best thing. If a team can force FG trys with our group of field goal block specialtists thats a huge stat. I watched ever game this year and for the exception of NFC west games, we looked solid. It was clear to see that teams like the seahalks knew what was coming on D just about every time. They really gameplanned well against our D. The 49’ers as well had a decent GP. But really forget about those performances, and call that a wash because of play calling. Our D really didnt look all that bad. We had a ton of turnovers, and return TD’s. You said it best “I have nothing to say in defense of our offense this past season”. So why not just cut up the whole team then, maybe your still mad we got rid of matt….we are starting to sound like eagles fans. Give some props to the guy working hard. We have one of the coolest STR coaches, one of the best OL coaches in Grimm, one of the best head coaches in Whiz, and a ton of guys on defence with pride that are coming back even stonger next year. We dont even need to draft anyone because the coaches are good enough to teach the tallent we have. And its clear that the cards will play the best players on the roster. Each year since Whiz has came in hes let the hardest working most talented players play….thats a winning formula!!!!!

60. By Chuck 1 on Feb 13, 2011 | Reply

By drummer-1 on Feb 12, 2011 | Reply

“Hey Negative Nancy, I mean Chuck-1, you need to seek help for your anger issue’s, who cares where the coache’s or players come from…I’ll bet if someone Gave you 999.00 dolaars you’ll complain it wasn’t 1000.00.. you are not a happy person, wonder why.. Can you talk football for once and about what the team needs to do to improve.”

drummer-1, if you had read my posts over the last few months, you would have seen that I suggested “what the team needs to do to improve”.

But, I’ll repeat some of the suggestions.

MAKE BETTER PERSONNEL DECISIONS e.g. regarding FAs, Graves and Whiz shouldn’t have signed DA, Faneca, Porter and Hall. (Faneca and Porter were and are OTH) NOW, RELEASE THEM!!! (They also shouldn’t have signed McFadden two years ago)

Regarding draftees, DON’T DRAFT SO MANY PLAYERS FROM SMALL SCHOOLS e.g.Skelton. They don’t face the stiff competition that players from major conferences do. Also, don’t draft undersized LBs e.g. Washington

HIRE AN O.C.!!!

Whiz shouldn’t be obsessed with hiring coaches and signing players from the AFC Central Division. I understand that he is “comfortable” with personnel that he knows from that division; however, there are 27 other teams in the NFL, (not counting the Cards of course). Surely, there are coaches and players on those teams that could do the jobs just as well e.g. the Pats, Pack, Colts, Jets, and Ravens. As an example, Whiz could have at least interviewed Perry, the DB coach of the Packers, for the DC job.

PS: “ANGER” isn’t the correct description of what I (and several other fans) think about some of the decisions that Graves and Whiz have made. We DISAGREE with them and would like to see different ones in the future.

61. By brandon on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

dear darren do you think the cardinals are going to draft cam newton or are thinking about it?t hanks

62. By daniel corrales on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

Hey darren , skelton is 2-2 , he pretty much out played DA && max hall , so don’t you think he should be given a chance to start , I mean everybody keeps saying get a Qb from the draft like Cam newton or Blaine Gabbert, I think we should stick with one Qb (Skelton) let him learn the offence && see how far we get , that final drive against the cowboys on christmas day was pretty impressive , instead of our offense being force to adjust to a new Qb everytime something goes wrong , we should stick with one ,skelton has a strong arm as you already know , he’s a pretty mobile Qb, is there any chance the cards will go after stephan skelton with a 3-4th round pick , imean the cardinals need a decent tight end , john && stephan skelton have played well together in collage , what are your thoughts??

63. By Darren Urban on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Free agents

Yes, until the CBA expires, players can re-sign with their own teams.

64. By Darren Urban on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

Andre —

RE: Blog issues

Again, not sure what’s up. I have Firefox on both my work PC and home Mac, and it’s working fine.

65. By Darren Urban on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

Rodgerscro —

RE: Coaching denials

They don’t have to have a reason.

66. By Darren Urban on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

Brandon —

RE: Newton

I don’t know. Too early.

67. By Darren Urban on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

Daniel —

RE: Skelton

I think he should be given a chance to be in the mix, but it’s too risky to say, ‘Let’s go with him’ at this point.

68. By drummer-1 on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

@Chuck – 1, I see make better dicisions, the season just ended, they can’t make any player moves as of yet because of the cba as you know…So why go into this tirade about how incompatent the club is, my point is just give them time , don’t be so quick to say they aren’t doing anything when they can’t..and when they do make a move, now it’s the division the person came from, it’s like nothing will ever be good enough for you…I admit you know your football,but getting upset about where the players come from thats just reachingfor anything to be angry about… the name of the game make you team better, would you care if we got Joe Flaco from the Ravens, he’s from the central…but he would make the team better..

69. By cards62 on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

To: John the draft guy

You are right in that it is early in the process on QBs. Our Cardinals have a lot of needs, none bigger than QB, but I hope we sign 2 veteran free agents or trade a mid round pick for a vereran. Cam Newton is my favoritw college QB, but I think he is too risky for the # 5 overall pick. I could be wrong but I feel the same about Mallet and Locker I think there will be a couple of very good starting QBs coming from this class I just can not tell you who they are.
    My second favorite will be one no one or only a few on this board will know, Ben Chappell from Indiana, and there are several like Ben. I just think with the risk this year that we would be better served with our first two picks. My choices today are Peterson from LSU and Kyle Rudolpth from ND in the second round. I am hoping we can trade down in the first to pick up another draft choice or two as LB is our second largest need after QB and TE our 3rd and OT our 4th.
    Go Cards

70. By Chuck 1 on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

drummer-1, one of my points is that Graves and Whiz don’t have a good history of making good personnel decisions. So, I am not confident that the spots on that leopard will change. I can only hope that they will do better after the CBA is signed.

It appears that you are one of those people that throw around words like “ANGER” and “HATER”. Try to understand that there are many Cards fans who DISAGREE with what Graves and Whiz have done. We are NOT “ANGRY” or “HATERS”. We just DISAGREE.

71. By drummer-1 on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

@chuck 1, we all have things that we will disagree on but, in my eye’s you seem to focuse more on the negative side of things, no they haven’t made some good dicisions at times but what team haven’t,you seem to look past 07,08,09 season which was pretty good,and in my eyes letting leinart go was a good move, he was here for 6 years and twice couldn’t hold on to the starting job…
    if we keep looking back at what the team has done we can never move forward.. i’m not angry or a hater,i just have a positive attitude..

72. By Scott H on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

tyman –

OK…so, we were solid except for the games against the NFC West? Well, unless I missed something, we were 1-5 in those games and those games counted. What is your point??? We were 5-11 and finished dead last in the worst division in the NFL. You remember a game against the Vikings, where we had a 14 point lead with about 5 minutes left only to collapse and lose in OT? Did ya miss that one??? You want to defend that defense, knock yourself out. You’re not convincing me. I’m not saying that red-zone defense IN GENERAL doesn’t matter. I’m saying that OUR defense, from top to bottom, was downright lousy last year. I’ve got a 5-11 record and a lot of stats to support that general opinion. If there was ANYTHING that our defense did well last year, then that’s great. Trouble is, they didn’t do it well often enough.

Perhaps we can petition the NFL to NOT count the games the Cardinals played against the NFC West last year because we didn’t play well in those games…tell ya what – try that and get back to us.

73. By tyman on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

Scott H. Tell me how our defence was so……so bad. You got one game the Vikings game where the defence lost to one of the greatest come back QB’s ever. Lets go back to that game, Im perty sure the defense made a ton of plays to get us the lead and the offence couldnt close the game out.
    Bill davis got fired because of those NFC west games by the way…. if it would have been 5-1 in those games we would have made the playoffs. The teams in our diffition had our number and a man got fired for that. That dosnt fall on the players as much as the coaching in this case.
    We got some of the best coaches around and fan anger at made up issues dosnt make sence. Complain to complain, that sounds like our fans. I called the Qb situation before the season started. I thought DA had a slim chance to do somthing, but I knew we would struggle without kurt. The issue with our team is getting a QB that can keep drives alive, move the ball. Hey maybe some fans are right about skelton. Hes got a ton to prove next year though. Maybe we should look for kurt to come back in as an assistant QB coach to help skelton out next year, if hes our backup. Without a QB we will go three and out next year, and stupid fans will say our defence is terrible. Watch the tapes, we arnt that bad at all on D. Our d was our offence with all the return TD’s.

74. By tyman on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

Scott H
    “If there was ANYTHING that our defense did well last year, then that’s great. Trouble is, they didn’t do it well often enough.”

Tymans response:
    Guess we needed like 3 defensive TD’s every game your right Scott H. Our D just couldnt score enough points to win the games. Man they are terrible top to bottom!!!! Trade Dockett, DRC, Toler, Porter, Haggins, Washington, Wilson, oh and for sure we need to get rid of Rhodes. He cost us that game by fumbling it through the endzone, hes really bad. Your right man, you opened my eyes. Just terrible we are the whole team.

75. By Scott H on Feb 15, 2011 | Reply

tyman –

Whatever, man. Again, our offense was horrible. And I agree, the fact that the offense was on and off the field entirley too often with three & outs certainly didn’t help the defense. You keep bringing that up but I agree with you 100% on that point. So, let’s put that aside. It’s just as fair to say that the defense’s inability to get teams off the field with a stop so our offense could get back on the field was just as much of an issue, isn’t it? At this point, we are having a damn silly arguement because both sides of the ball contributed greatly AND EQUALLY to a lousy season.
    But you want me to site other games besides the Vikings game??? Ok. Don’t have to look too far to do that. How ’bout the blowout loss to the Falcons? Yeah, the D was on that day, huh? How ’bout that loss to Carolina who was definitely the worst team in the league last year? That is, until they played us. The Buccs game? Was on its way to being a blowout loss until the offense got us back in the game…then the D gives up the go-ahead TD on a long pass play…then our offense turns it over inside their 10 to end the game. Actually, THIS game is the perfect example of how both units combined for a very effective one-two punch. Then there were the games against the teams in the division….oh, yeah, I forgot – those games really didn’t count. Silly me.
    And what’s with your rant about trading all of those players? Was that YOUR idea??? Because it wasn’t mine…I don’t know what you’re talking about there, but then again, neither do you.
    Call me stupid if you want. But you’re the one who is defending a defense that gave up the most points in the league…not exactly what I would call intelligent.

76. By big t on Feb 18, 2011 | Reply

cards should think big!! GO for peyton manning- mr. bidwill should offer him a 5 year contract for 100 million, 20 mill a year. keep frtiz, breaston @ roberts. draft von miller with the fifth pick, draft the speedster torry smith in second. O-linemen with rest of their picks. move levi back to right tackle. cut jeremy bridges- he didnt block anybody. d-line get rid of the fat guys over 310- they were losing one-on-one battles on every play. let dockett be the nose tackle. put some fast 270 lbs end. then let the defense fly.

2. Feb 10, 2011: Tweets that mention Word From the Birds BlogTalk of the tag « -- Topsy.com
  3. Mar 7, 2011: Tags, tenders like normal - NFLJerseysGroupon's Blog