For now, business as usual — mostly

Posted by Darren Urban on February 14, 2011 – 9:55 am

Last week, the scouts for the Cardinals all came to Tempe for their normal pre-combine meetings. The pro personnel department still is meeting daily to talk about potential free agents, and coaches are prepping as if there will be a minicamp after the April draft. At this point, they can’t do anything else.

Obviously, there is a lot of talk of what is — and what isn’t — being accomplished between the NFL owners and players when it comes to a new collective bargaining agreement. Sometimes it’s hard not to feel pessimistic about a work stoppage. But until there actually is such a thing, each team (including the Cardinals) has to prep like free agency, for example is going to start at 10 p.m. Arizona time the night of March 3.

(Draft prep wouldn’t change anyway, because there will be a draft regardless — although it will be interesting to see if the back part of the draft changes at all. Since no players would be able to sign a contract in the event of a lack of a CBA, there would be no undrafted rookie classes until that was worked out. Each team would have their draft picks, and every other rookie would remain in limbo.)

Because there is prepping as usual, I suppose in that light it still makes sense to speculate about trades, like the fact Eagles quarterback Kevin Kolb now is on record as saying he’d like for the Cardinals to be a part of trade talks for him. So speculation and preparation will remain. Until it doesn’t.

Tags: , , ,

73 Responses to “For now, business as usual — mostly”

1. By Richard on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

Come on Cards… Find a way to get Kevin Kolb! He could be quite the contributor for the team over the next few years allowing coaches to focus on other areas of the team…

2. By stevedco on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

Darren – Any word on the 2ndary coach out of Cinn? Have they asked permission to interview anyone?

Have you changed your stance on missing games yet with Jones and Richarson grandstanding the last few days?

I’m guessing 4 games missed.

3. By Tom on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

I wouldn’t mind Kolb but I don’t want us giving up more than we have to for him – personally I’d offer a 3rd this year and then an conditional 2011 pick…say another 3rd if we don’t win the division, 2nd if we get to the post-season and a 1st if we make it to the NFC Championship game?

4. By Darren Urban on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

Stevedco —

RE: DBs coach/missing games

No word yet. I am guessing, however, that it might be a matter of when, not if.

As for games missed, there is a long way to go. We haven’t even reached the deadline yet, and then you still have to get all the way to September. So no, I haven’t changed my stance, and don’t expect to for a while.

5. By carlo7000 on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

darren what do you think about the situation between owners and union .looks like the distance between the 2 sides still be far…they shouldnt try to organize more meeting.if you dont talk too much is impossible to find an agreement..or maybe someone doesnt want it

6. By Darren Urban on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

Carolo7000 —

RE: Labor

I think, frankly, that I don’t have any say in the matter, so I’m going to have to sit back and wait to see what happens, just like everyone else.

7. By Mario8267 on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

I think trading for Kolb is definitely worth the risk as long as we don’t lose too much. I definitely think giving up the 5th pick in the draft would be a mistake.

8. By BigRedFan on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

Darren –

YOU DON’T HAVE ANY SAY IN THE MATTER!!!!!

Well that explains it! No wonder things are going so slow.

Hey NFLPA and owners – make Darren the mediator of this thing and a deal will be done by noon today.

9. By AZ 4 Life on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

I Don’t want kolb to start. I like what John was able to do with a distinctly lackluster offense in his 4 games a starter, if the Christmas game he really showed great leadership abilities. I’d rather we got a vet and let him and John fight it out for starter in the offseason (if there is one) and the preseason. That way we get the best of the 2 and John has been able to learn off Kolb.

10. By Paul H on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

Darren, I know that if there is no CBA after March 4, the football side of the organization is unable to have contact with any players until that is resolved. Does that include you and the other media staff. Are you constricted with communication to players for stories and features?

11. By cards62 on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

I would not have a problem if Kevin Kolb was one of two veteran QBs the Cardinals would bring in, but I can not get my hopes up too high on Kevin as Andy Reid is very smart and he knows Michael Vick can very easily be injured again so to have Kolb as the backup is okay with him. I think Reid will demand too much compensation for Kolb because he values Kolb so much.
    Go Cards

12. By Zach on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

If the Kevin Kolb thing starts become a reality, if you were the man calling the shots, what would you trade to get Kolb in Arizona?

13. By Darren Urban on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

Paul H —

RE: Player contact

That I don’t know yet.

14. By Darren Urban on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

Zach —

RE: Kolb trade

As I have mentioned before, I would consider my second-round pick.

15. By James on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

Do you think the cardinals will stick with Joey Porter for another year since AL Horton was hired. I was wondering since they both have ties together since the steeler days.

Thanks Darren,
    James

16. By K-DUB on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

There’s talk that the Cards are thinking of pursuing Ike Taylor if he hits FA, that we are the best fit for him. Was or is he part of the FA targets?

17. By Darren Urban on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

James —

RE: Porter

As I have mentioned before, I think Porter would probably have to agree to a contract restructuring to stay.

18. By Darren Urban on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

K-Dub —

RE: FA “targets”

I have no idea who the “targets” are right now. Surprisingly, they don’t give me a list. Could Taylor be one of them? Connecting the dots it seems possible, but I don’t think it’s a given.

19. By Kyle on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

Kevin Kolb has shown he can light up the field with his arm, but what separates him from the other veterans (like bulger) is that he is still young, why not consider giving up a first round pick for a franchise QB that could be around for a decade?

20. By jocards on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

The thing about Kolb is that there seems to be a perception out there for a lot of folks that he is a franchise QB. How do we know he is? He hasn’t played enough to say he’s a sure thing. He has enough potential and has shown enough during his limited playing time to make him an intriguing possibility but he is not a lock to be a franchise QB.

21. By vsancards on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

Has anyone seen Kolbs career stat line? 60% completion wit 11 TDs and 14 picks. Sounds eerily similiar to Matt Leinarts numbers. Why is everyone so high on this guy?

22. By Big Red on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

Wouldn’t it be something if we pay all this money for kolb and lose a draft pick. And still have John Skelton beat him at starting QB. I think you should just get an old vet to mentor JS for a half a season. Let this guy carry us to the title.

23. By brad oneill on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

a starting quarterback is easily worth a first round pick when you don’t have a qb. He is worth the 5th pick if it means we wont need to bring in a veteran like Bulger, we can use the money we wont spend on a number 5 to lock up breaston and duece. I am all for facing the season with Kolb, Skelton and Hall.

now lets figure out a way to grab that cover corner from oakland and we will be a tough team to beat.

24. By CZarr on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

Off topic but I was wondering if you had an estimate on what percentage (very rough estimate of course) of offensive plays we had a fullback in on?

25. By Chuck 1 on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

Regardless of Horton being the Cards’ DC and hiring Townsend, I would be surprised if any Steeler FAs leave Blitzburgh for AZ. The Steelers will have LeBeau, Big Ben, Polamalu et al and a better opportunity to reach and win the Super Bowl.

26. By joe67 on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

I like Kolb, but not a first rd. 2, maybe. A 3 yes, well worth the gamble. How about a 3 this year, and a conditional 3 next year.
    I think we will be bidding against the Vikings.

27. By Darren Urban on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

CZarr —

RE: Fullback

I wish I did but I don’t. It’s something I can try and track down, but right now, I’d have no idea.

28. By DCCardinalsFan2011 on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

Darren-

Any word from the coaches on bringing back Dean Muhtadi – the Iron Sheik??? The guy fit perfectly with the team, and played great in OTAs and Mini-Camp..not to mention that he was the strongest guy on the team! I read so many articles about how the team and players loved him. You think he has a chance to get back on the squad?

29. By Redrage24 on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

I would def give up a number 1 for kolb he’s young he’s proven with his limited play that he can move the chains, pay some money and get quality tired of people mentioning bulger he’s a joke you might as well keep da

30. By Darren Urban on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

DCCardinals —

RE: Unless the labor situation is resolved quickly, I’m not sure that will happen (and even if it is resolved, I’m not sure Dean returns).

31. By Marcello on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

I may be filled in on that, but what’s so wrong with Skelton considering we’ve a long hardworking off season coming next.
    Cards might go through a helluva season again, but thinking forward 2012 would be awesome with John as a QB. I do not deny Kolb, by JS seems to be such a good player!

Besides Kolb, is Arizona willing to “open the safes” to another quarterback?

32. By Darren Urban on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

Marcello —

RE: Skelton/QBs

Well, part of the problem with someone like Skelton is the real possibility he won’t have a “hardworking” offseason, at least not one with coaches and teammates, given the potential work stoppage.

As for the other QBs, I assume you mean as a trade. That I don’t know.

33. By CZarr on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

Don’t worry about it. I was just curious. I want to say Beanie ran out of single back alot ot OSU. I for the life of me can’t recall how much we use the fullback when he is in the backfield or at all for that matter.

34. By brad oneill on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

Darren- I would think there would be some coaches available that Skelton might be able to hire with his own money. There are some former nfl coaches that are currently not employed that might be looking for someone to mentor. I know kurt doesn’t want to be a coach but i wonder if he would me interested in helping a kid like skelton. He knows the system, he understands the underdog situation, he isn’t dancing anymore.

He might be able to turn it into a reality television show and work on his tv skills. I would watch a show about nfl qbs helping rookies or young players as the cba is worked out.

it feeds the fans need for football, it would be cheap to produce and even though it would have a short life im sure espn is going to be looking for something to put on when training camp isn’t around.

35. By Brandon Orgeron on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

Gotta disagree with anyone who thinks we should keep hall. His completion percentage and td int ratio were terrible and he got pulled in favor of Derek Anderson 1td 7int derek anderson is better than that

36. By Mike Ellingboe on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

To everyone who thinks that Kolb will be an immediate fix to our problems, I hate to throw a dose of reality on that belief but it’s very unlikely. The first problem is he hasn’t been a full season starter yet, so we really don’t know for sure what he’s capable of. However, for arguments sake let’s say he’s another Matt Schaub. Even he struggled a bit in first two years with the Texans, he’s really only come into his own in the last two. He still has to learn an offensive system he hasn’t played in before, and as noted by many the CBA will likely put a major crimp in that learning curve.

The other issue is how many times trading for/picking up a proven starter doesn’t yield immediate results. McNabb struggled this year, Cassel had a very rough time his first year in KC, Oakland had Campbell on a rotating QB system, even Warner didn’t hit stride here for a couple of seasons. Granted, Favre did great in MN his first year before the wheels fell off (and there may be others that aren’t coming to mind) but changing QB’s, especially unproven ones, doesn’t typically bring what everyone hopes for. That would be the major reason why you don’t give up a #5 pick for him.

Still say our best bet is the deal with the fact that we don’t have a franchise QB, draft Gabbert (who has all the tools to become one) and develop him. For those who think it will take too long, I think history has shown it will likely take a season or two even with a proven vet and if we have to go the route of someone older (like Bulger) then we’re back where we started. Right now I’d say that STL, of all teams, looks better than anyone in the division for future success.

37. By Marcelo on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

Darren

Thanks for the answer, I meant if Arizona is willing to pay much higher salary in order to have a vet QB.
    I`ve also watched some Kolb`s videos in which I could not identify any quality that can put him over others QB`s.

I’m afraid that Fitz might not stand in Arizona due to a no assignement with an experienced QB.

38. By Darren Urban on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

Marcelo —

RE: More Kolb

I think the Cards are looking pretty much at every available QB to assess if they can help. I think they’ll play the salary needed to get the guy they want. I don’t know if Kolb is the answer, and I don’t know if they have made a decision yet on what they think of him. Clearly, though, he is one of the better prospects out there that is available.

As for Fitz, well, you probably have a valid concern.

39. By Marcelo on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

Thanks Darren,

clearer for me now, its quite hard to find some specialist in football here in Brazil so that some business decisions seems not to make sense to me. Gotta put a hope on Kolb them.

I’ll keep reading your posts, sure I’m gonna learn pretty much more bout it.
    Thank you for the answers.

40. By WNYcardsfan on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

GET KOLB (reasonable offer). Get him, if he says he’d like to be here, than that is just one more thing to consider.

41. By tyman on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

Kolb is a huge risk after taking the dirty hit from clay this year….Fitz should really be lobbying for Ortan more so than Kolb. Either way if we get either guy its good for the team, I just hope Kolb could last a full season if we get him. Also people dont talk about the poor play kolb had when he was in this year. Hes had a few good starts but isnt proven over time. Lets see what graves and whiz deside to do. Just dont bring bulger into the confersation please!!!!!Hes no Kurt warner, and the only reason he took the starting jpb with the rams is because warner broke his thumb…we all know about broken thumbs. “Jake Plummer” took two years to rebound, actually just like warner did. So bulger really wasnt better at all. If Mcnabb is cheap maybe just draft a guy and have mcnabb vs Skelton vs rookie. Mcnabb like warner has had a ton 300 plus passing games and is most likly the most underrated QB out thier. How many NFC champ games and hes been to a super bowl. Really he could be the mike vick if the right team gives him a chance. The skins looked terrible all year. the play calling looked more like high school football then the nfl…..you can not judge any of the skins QB’s on last season. Here is a thought, Fitz cathing lob balls in pro bowl games deep. Why not target a guy like Mcnabb that lobs that ball, and dosnt rocket pass it.

42. By tyman on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

So what are the lockout rules concerning players working out together. Could sketon arrange to still work out with some of the WR. If they can may fitz should go over to see mcnabb because that could be a fiable option at QB. Can the coaches fill the players in on what to do and give them a plan that they should follow. if so a lot of time should be spent right now just giving the players as much info as they can, espcialy the D. After all if its a long hold out the team that comes back in the best shape is more likly to win the super bowl.

43. By Scott H on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

brad oneill-

I’m pretty much in agreement that our first round pick would NOT be too much for Kolb if that is what it takes. The Eagles have a young QB loaded with potential who could be a starter for the next decade, and they are going to put a high price on that. That said, I’d rather NOT see the Cardinals have to pay that high a price. We’ll see. Can’t do anything right now, anyway, so…we wait.

44. By Big Red on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

I’m with you Brandon Orger, get rid of hall, if the cards can’t see his talents, which are none. I would rather have DA and that tells alot.

45. By Eric on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

RE; AZ 4 Life: “I Don’t want kolb to start. I like what John was able to do”. ARE YOU AN IDIOT!!!!!! You don’t want Kolb to start? Skelton did do well, considering, but he is a ways out from making us a winner. Kolb has already been mentored and is ready to lead. Thank God you won’t be making any decisions.

Cardinals, Kolb for 2011 3 rd, and conditional 2012 3 rd. The kids our best long term option. Hey if Bulger wants a two year back up deal to mentor as well, lets do it. Draft LBs and OL and the Cards will be back!

46. By Canadian Red Bird on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

Re: Kolb

I find it hard to part even with our second round draft pick for someone who has yet to make a statement in the league. I do agree with one of your previous bloggers that our third rounder this year plus an additional pick in the following year pending the club’s performance would be fair compensation. Keep in mind that he was a second round pick for Philly which would have been much later than the 37th pick of the draft which the cards have. A first rounder for an unproven signal caller would set this franchise back another year. Give me your thoughts.

47. By DirtybirD on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren,if you had to choose between trading for Kolb or Orton,who would you choose? I would pick Orton,yes I said Orton. He’s only 28 years old,started over 60 games, doesn’t throw many int’s unless you count the game against the Cardinals this past season. Can take a sack and get up. The Cards would not have to give up their 1st rd pick or give up multiple picks for Orton. The Eagles know a team is going to “over trade” for a unproven Kolb. I just hope it’s not the Cardinals!

48. By Stuart on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

I really would like to see the Cards prep and train Skelton for being the QB I’ve seen the sparks he can be it’s good to see Kolb as a potential pick up to either take over starting for us or to back up Skelton if he ends up faultering.

49. By mikeso602 on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

Thats what I’m talking about I totally agree

50. By slick rick on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

How come no body sees alex smith as a possibility. He needs a a fresh start,and would be a free agent. We could keep our draft pick and give skeleton some time to develop.

51. By TBru on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

Kolb at any price has to be better than Bulger or Anderson.

52. By Darren Urban on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

Marcelo —

RE: “Answers”

That’s why I’m here. Thanks for reading. Always cool to hear we have fans in Brazil.

53. By Darren Urban on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

Canadian Red —

RE: Second-round pick

“I find it hard to part even with our second round draft pick for someone who has yet to make a statement in the league.”

I understand your point. Except that anyone you take with that second-round pick hasn’t made a statement either (and may never — ask Cody Brown).

54. By Darren Urban on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

DirtyBird —

RE: Orton or Kolb

Depends on the price for each.

55. By brad oneill on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

Brandon- max was thrown into a bad situation, remember he was a rookie and the line wasn’t protecting him at all. His stats were bad but considering the circumstances under which he played I would say its a little early to throw him away. his first game was against the defending super bowl champs and his second game was in one of the loudest stadiums in the league, in the rain.

56. By Jerrytown on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

I’ve heard that the Eagles will be asking for 2 first round picks for Kolb, which is ridiculous. I understand why though. They really don’t need to trade him because his salary is so low this year, and why not keep him around as Vick insurance? The only way I would trade a 1st for him is if Von Miller and Patrick Peterson are both off the board. Then I could see trading down to acquire another 2nd and giving that middle round 1st to the Eagles for Kolb. Von Miller is a beast though and could be the piece that puts our defense over the top. Having a solid pass rush takes pressure off your secondary and frees up your line to make plays. Especially after his incredible senior bowl, I think if Miller is there he is the cards pick. And he’s a future pro bowler without question. Could be the next Demarcus Ware!

57. By emm7777 on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

Kolb is in no way any gurantee. I’m on the John Skelton Bandwagon! SKELTON! SKELTON! SKELTON!

58. By Michael on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

Alex Smith! Why not? Have Smith n Skelton baddle it out.

59. By Marcelo on Feb 15, 2011 | Reply

Where’s Bulger folks?!

He seems to have cards profile. By watching his throws it’s easy to notice he’s confident and smart. I’d rather him to Kolb, but I’m not filled in on his professional situation.

60. By Marlon Skrusinski on Feb 15, 2011 | Reply

Interesting! I didn’t know there were more Cardinals fans here in Brazil following the team’s official website. Turns out I’m not alone!

Darren –

Yes, football is becoming a popular sport in Brazil. There is a lot of NFL fans and people willing to play. We have some teams and a league, but just on a amateur level.

61. By Blair on Feb 15, 2011 | Reply

Hahahahhaa The only thing orton has “proven” is that he can’t win games and he loves to fumble. I’ll take the “unproven” guy thank you very much.

62. By AndyStandsUp on Feb 15, 2011 | Reply

Definitely not a Pollyanna, but I was optimistic something could be done shortly.
    After reading about the contentious meeting between Panther’s owner Richardson and Jay Feely and Sean Morey, in particular, and the seemingly insistence of a lockout, I’m not so confident now.
    Darren, you’re a self-admitted “half empty” guy, so what’s your take on how long this impasse could last? And IYO, should Richardson sit out the round or so?

63. By Darren Urban on Feb 15, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Impasse

I still want to see if we pass the deadline and then see what happens. Even if there isn’t an agreement, this could be much different if there is a lockout compared to the union decertifying and then going through the courts. As I said yesterday, I am still not convinced we will be eating into the regular season even if it is long-term (although I could change my mind in a few weeks). As for Richardson, I don’t know. I suppose that’s up to the other owners, and what they aim to accomplish and where Richardson stands after all this outside attention.

64. By Mark in Chandler on Feb 15, 2011 | Reply

Could you help me unhderstand an aspect of the whole-lockout-CBA fiasco. If a Lockout occurs then no trades will be allowed. Help me understand why. I cannot see how this would financially benefit the players, assuming no new contracts are negotiated until a CBA. This seems to only hurt the teams while having little finaicial affect on the players. I understand that there might be some risk if there is no medical staff on hand to due a physical but teams could work out thier own agreements to try and mitigate the risk. That aspect of the lock out seems to be a self inflicted wound by the owners. They make the rules of the lock out so why did they make that one? Can’t find a reasonable answer.

65. By Woody on Feb 15, 2011 | Reply

Darren-

Thanks for keeping us informed. I am pretty sure its getting harder to write about things as the time goes by. Keep up the good work! GO BIG RED!

66. By Darren Urban on Feb 15, 2011 | Reply

Mark in —

RE: Lockout/trades

With no CBA, you can have no player business, period. You don’t know what the new CBA will look like. Let’s say player A, with 3 years and $15 million left on his contract, was to be traded. You don’t know what the new salary cap will be (or if there will be one), and you don’t know what the rules will be to account for a player being traded. That’d be a major reason.

Trades can happen. But only with picks. No players can be involved.

67. By NJCardsFan on Feb 15, 2011 | Reply

I can’t believe I’m saying this but I don’t think it would be a horrible idea to pass on Kolb and bring in McNabb. McNabb would def keep Larry happy, he could play for a season or two and Skelton will have time to learn and develop, and we can still use our draft picks to strengthen the O-line and D. The ultimate goal for the future would be for Skelton to become the franchise QB, which I think he will eventually be capable of. He cool and collected, he’s got a monster arm, and he can move the pocket and the chains with his legs.

68. By AndyStandsUp on Feb 15, 2011 | Reply

Q: On March 3rd, if a NFL collective bargaining agreement is not met, how many days ’til the world which we now know will cease?
    A: 1 2 3 4.
    Thank you, I’ll be here all week, enjoy the veal.

69. By Marcelo on Feb 15, 2011 | Reply

hey Marlon, send your e-mail so that we can keep in touch about it….

I do not agree, here in Brazil there’re lots of football fans, unfotunately they’re not as crazy as it’s supposed to be. They watch and that’s all.

About the QB issue, I still keep on Bulger… it may be not possible, but considering Kolb skills, Bulger is by far a fancy player.

Darren, is this transaction possible?! Bulger from st louis?

70. By Scott H on Feb 15, 2011 | Reply

emm777 –

Re: Guarantees

There are no guarantees out there at the QB position. You’ve got Kolb, a rookie with the 5th pick, or any one of a long list of veteran free agents that range from average to no thanks. Take your pick.

Canadian Red Bird –

RE: Kolb

Yeah, but exactly when was he supposed to make a statement? He was behind McNabb until McNabb was gone. Then two quarters into his first job as a starter, he goes down with a concussion. Mike Vick comes in and plays at a near-MVP level the rest of the way. NO WAY the Eagles can bench Vick at that point to put Kolb back in. Big difference bewteen guys who have had a chance to make a statement and never have ( Alex Smith ) and guys who really have not yet had a chance at all (kolb ). I think Kolb is gonna make a statement somewhere when he gets that chance. I say we gve it to him here!

71. By johnnybluenose on Feb 15, 2011 | Reply

michael, baddle it out?

2. Feb 14, 2011: Tweets that mention Word From the Birds BlogFor now, business as usual — mostly « -- Topsy.com
  3. Feb 15, 2011: Monday NFL Wrap