The promotion of Mike Miller

Posted by Darren Urban on February 16, 2011 – 10:30 am

Coach Ken Whisenhunt will be talking to the media later today about his restructured coaching staff now that the Cards are done moving around pieces, but the news Mike Miller has been promoted to offensive coordinator — I’m sure — comes as a relief to many fans.

What does it mean?

Again, Whisenhunt will be talking about this, but I don’t know exactly how much is going to change, or significantly change. Miller was already taking turns calling plays on Sundays. Whether or not Russ Grimm remains “running game coordinator” or not probably doesn’t matter either. He’s still going to have significant say in building that game plan; I remember a couple of years ago standing in an Indianapolis hotel lobby with Grimm after we had both arrived at the scouting combine and the news had been released that “running game coordinator” had been added to his title. Grimm just kind of smiled and said it wasn’t a big deal, because his role wasn’t really changing. I expect the same now.

I also don’t really think (and I know I’m gonna hear about this from some of you) that Whisenhunt calling plays — when he was calling plays — really affected him as a head coach during games. You know what did affect him on game days? Quarterback play (among other things). And it’s going to directly impact Mike Miller too.

Tags: , , ,

86 Responses to “The promotion of Mike Miller”

1. By Ben on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

“You know what did affect him on game days? Quarterback play”

So lets throw the ball more than any other team in the league??

This is great news, as long as Miller understands how to call something other than

Run
    Pass
    Pass
    Punt

90% of the time….

2. By Brandon on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

It’s about time! Darren what was your opinion on Whisenhunts play calling last season,and do you believe this is a good move?

3. By Darren Urban on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

Brandon –

RE: Miller move

I think, ultimately, this just kind of officially says what was already happening. Miller already was calling a chunk of plays last season by the end.

4. By Darren Urban on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

Ben –

RE: Play calls

Should the Cards have run more? Probably. But are you sure “run-run-pass” or “pass-run-run” or whatever combo you want to throw out there wouldn’t have lead to “punt?”

5. By Ben on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

Very good point Urban, as always…

I did like the ONE 100% all run possession we had ALL season..It was in the first game against the Rams and we scored. Never saw it again. Instead we let the most inaccurate QB ever sit back and throw in-completions and INTs. Made no sense.

P.S. IMO Run Run Pass or Pas Run Run would have been a lot easier on the stomach than watching DOA throw bullets into thin air or the defenses chest. We just never did it.. I wish I had the time but if I looked it up the run pass pass combination has to be the #1 combo all year.

6. By Darren Urban on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

Ben –

RE: Playcalling combo

Fair enough. Like I said they should have run more.

But I’d also bet that run-pass-pass is the No. 1 combo in the entire NFL, period. It’s a passing league.

7. By Congats on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

Congats mike, from a friend of friends from here in plum, PA.

8. By jim_vh on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

re: “But are you sure “run-run-pass” or “pass-run-run” or whatever combo you want to throw out there wouldn’t have lead to “punt?””

i looked at some game logs and the running game was working and the passing game was horrible. they continued to call passes.

9. By jahstone on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

Here’s a combo…win, win, win!!!

10. By Ben on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

Here’s a combo…win, win, win!!!

Sounds good to me..

Its Miller Time (sorry someone had to say it.)

11. By R Robles on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

Plays were called right last season bad throws were the problem dropped passes offensive line with holes so it just wasnt the play calling cmon now

12. By Justin on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

So Miller gets promoted for being a part of one of the worst offenses in the NFL last year? Since when do teams promote for less the mediocre performance? Whiz keeps boggling my mind.

13. By Voice of Reason on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

14. By cards62 on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

Well we have a new OC probably not the one all of us fans wanted, but I still think this is a good move, and it could have been worse as it could have been Russ Grimm.

We have a new DC, once again probably not the one most of us wanted, but at least we made the change and now also have some new secondary coaches. Must admit I know our secondary was far from perfect last year but I thought of the 3 groups LBs and DL and DBs our DBs played the best.

Go Cards 2011 is going to be interesting, but no way can it be as bad as 2010 so I am still hopeful. We have no new offensive coaches so this tells me we need a veteran QB who is a strong leader like Kurt Warner to run our offense in 2011. I do not know if Bulger or Orton are strong enough. I am not saying that they are not I am just asking others opinion? They are the two I have been hoping we sign bit I am also okay with Palmer, McNabb, Young, or Kolb if they are not too expensive on draft choices. WIth our coaching I am even starting to think we should go after Palmer or McNabb to have the strong leader.
    Once again interested in what other fans are thinking.

15. By RelayTV on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

“When you have the dreadfully awful quarterbacks we had in 2010, you could have any combination of run and pass and it would still have lead to punt.”

Wrong.

The Falcons’08. ’10, Ravens ’08, ’09, ’10 and especially the Jets ’08, ’09, ’10 make the playoffs with QB’s that were not much better than DA.

The difference is that they are not a PASS FIRST teams like we are. They run first, and play lights out defense.

I am relieved that we have an OC now, Let’s hope he calls plays based on the strengths of the current players, not on what worked in the past.

PS- I would have preferred a proven OC like McDaniels, but any change from last season is an improvement.

16. By Doug Martin on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

Congratulations Coach Miller !! Very well deserved !! From Plum Pa.

17. By Chris on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

Ben-
    you are being to hard on DA…it was windy out there.

18. By Flood on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

RelayTV-
    Are you serious? Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, and Mark Sanchez are not much better than DA? That is crazy! They are light years better than DA with Sanchez being the closest in comparison because Mark has a tendancy as well to throw into triple coverage! I would still take any of those 3 right now over DA and would trade the #5 pick for at least two of them! So glad Darren let’s us all say pretty much what they want because I needed a good laugh today.

19. By Chris on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

Darren…Can we sign/extend Lutui or Sendelein or do we have to wait until March 4th?

20. By JK on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

Darren

Do you think they will fill the passing game coordinator after promoting Mike Miller to OC?

Also did you get any word on who the franchise tags will be used on?
    Thanks again Darren for being there for us fans….

21. By brad oneill on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

Holy crap my wish has been granted. i knew i should have asked that damn genie for a million bucks but hey.

I love this move, it shows that whiz is capable of stepping back and analyzing the situation even when he is involved. This just moved Whiz back up ahead of parcels on my list of favorite coaches.

i don’t think there will be drastic changes in anything other than the results when miller is making the calls. This will free whiz up to analyze the game and calls and personal and allow mike to process the calculations necessary for play calling. The subtle difference will be in the game management. It’s tough for an assistant to tell the head coach “hey our pass game isnt working, quit throwing on third down.” but it will be easier for whiz to see the problem when he isnt making the calls and make the adjustment.

I have no doubt that whiz is a good play caller i just think in the midst of transition you need as many heads as possible working on fixing the problems.

22. By jocards on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

RelayTV – Sometimes I agree with your posts, sometimes I do not but I figure that I must be misunderstanding your latest one. Are you saying that Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco and Mark Sanchez are not much better than DA? If so I wholeheartedly disagree. I would agree that the Falcons, Ravens and Jets have tended to be run first and have leaned on their defense for success. But what does that have to do with the Cardinals? They don’t run the ball well enough to control the game and playing lights out defense? Hardly a trait of the Cardinals defense….Lit up? Yes. Lights out? No. I hope Miller is the right guy for the OC job but if we don’t get better QB play the play calling might be different but the offensive results will be much the same…ugly.

23. By Darren Urban on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

Chris –

RE: Extensions

Any team can extend current players until March 4. After that, once the CBA expires, every player is in limbo until that is resolved.

24. By Darren Urban on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

JK –

RE: Coaching staff/tags

The coaching staff is set for 2011.

As for the tag, I addressed that here: http://blog.azcardinals.com/2011/02/10/talk-of-the-tag/

25. By Mike Ellingboe on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

@RelayTV,

QB’s not much better than DA? Are you serious?

26. By CardsLady21 on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

Darren, Didn’t I see you tell people in comments over the last few days that there will be “no more coaching changes”? Shame shame on you.

27. By Rich on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

Re the defense, I guess the defensive line and LB coaches are still in place? Horton has to accept them?

28. By Darren Urban on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

CardsLady –

RE: Changes

Shame on me I suppose. But I was talking about personnel, and clearly Mike Miller is going to be doing the same job he was doing before.

29. By Darren Urban on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

Rich –

RE: Staff

There are going to be no more hires.

30. By Peter in Canada on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

I have to agree with Relay…………… partly. I don’t think Sanchez is much better than DA but his running game and defence are certainly better than ours.

I have to agree with Brad………….totally. I think this is a good move. Maybe there were better bets than Horton and Miller out there but the’ve served their apprenticeships and deserve a chance. Also they have to work with Whis and he has the right to hire whom he thinks he can work with.

I also agree that without significant improvement from the QB position (DA 65.9, Skelton 62.3 and Hall 35.7) we will need the Steel Curtain defence to even be respectable.

31. By RelayTV on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

To everybody who asked… Yes, I’m serious.

Career accuracy ratings:

Anderson – 56.4
    Sanchez – 54.3
    Ryan – 60.8
    Flacco – 62.2

That’s right, the QB who was one game out of the Superbowl was only 5.8% more accurate over his career than Anderson, and in our offense, it is accuracy that counts most, speed of read/release 2nd.

Of course Kurt Warner puts them all to shame at 65.6 for 12 years!

Like it or not, Whiz has structured our team’s offense so that only a super-accurate, fast read QB can prosper (Warner, Rodgers, Brees, Rivers, Manning, Brady). Yes it’s a passing league, but the Jets, Falcons and Ravens are getting it done with the run and defense.

My point, yes Anderson was bad, but NONE of the above, except Warner (and maaaaybe Flacco) could prosper under our combination of porous O’ line, underperforming defense and pass-happy play calling.

32. By CardsLady21 on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

With all due respect Darren, I think the OC is responsible for overseeing the entire offense as well as play calling, etc. Im not sure what you mean by “clearly Mike Miller is going to be doing the same job he was doing before”. You had also told people that the Cards were not looking for an OC.

33. By RelayTV on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

Sorry typing too fast:

2 teams, 2 games out of the Superbowl- 4.4 and 5.8% better Accuracy than DA

Jets/Sanchez 1 game out of the Superbowl – 2.1% LESS Accurate!

34. By Darren Urban on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

CardsLady –

RE: OC

Two points.

1) (And I mentioned this on Twitter), what I mean is that other than a new title — and maybe Miller having some final say in game-planning — everything is expected to pretty much remain status quo in terms of how the offense is schemed/called.

2) They weren’t looking for an OC. Many of those responses came from people suggesting outside hires. They didn’t hire anyone new. They gave Miller a different title. Miller was already overseeing the offense, both in meetings and at practices. He was already calling some plays. (http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/Not-A-Job-But-A-Calling/c3506e0f-8aab-4ef5-9c73-bd866b8dbb95).

If you feel misled, I apologize.

35. By Mike Ellingboe on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

@RelayTV,

You’re leaving some really important numbers out of your argument, and putting some big assumptions into others. Before getting into that, DA’s completion % is now at 52.6, not 56.4.

Back to my point. A 60% completion percentage is really where an effective QB needs to be, for most dropping below that line is when it becomes an issue so while 5-7% may sound statistically irrelevant it isn’t. The other thing you left out was the equally as, if not more important TD/INT ratio. DA now has more career INT’s than TD’s. To your point Sanchez is below 60%, and is on the negative side of the TD/INT ratio as well but Flacco and Ryan are way above it. Flacco is currently at 60 TD’s to 34 INT’s and Ryan is at 66 TD’s to 34 picks. The one argument in Sanchez’s favor, over DA, is his ability to hit the big throw at crucial points of the game.

Atlanta isn’t what I’d call a run-first team, either. Last year they were 8th (we were tied for 11th, for comparison’s sake) in the league in pass attempts. Even the Jets ranked 18th. Baltimore was tied for 24th so that at least puts them towards the back half of the league.

You give us Matt Ryan or Joe Flacco, (maybe even Sanchez) and we win our division without breaking a sweat. The first two are franchise QB’s by just about any definition, the one area where they aren’t Warner is in their post-season performances but regular season I’d take them in a heartbeat, especially over DA. All are still so early in their careers as well.

36. By Chris Lewis on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren, have you heard any new news on who might be a strong candidate for QB next season? If there’s nothing new, do you think the brass is waiting for the draft to decide if we’ll draft a QB or go after a veteran FA?

37. By Darren Urban on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

Chris Lewis –

RE: QB

Until the CBA is figured out, that drastically changes the equation, because there is no FA.

38. By jocards on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

Throw any statistic you want out there, Ryan, Flacco and Sanchez are much better than DA. As stated by Mike Ellingboe Ryan and Flacco appear to be franchise QB’s & Sanchez has displayed a knack to come up with the key throw when he needs to that’ll win you a big game. I don’t care what stat you want to throw around, Sanchez is a better QB than DA. Anderson has displayed a knack for making poor decisions and poor throws at key times that will lose you games and he’s done it time and again. I know RelayTV’s point was largely that the Cards should’ve been more run/defensive oriented not that DA is a good QB….and after seeing the QB play we got last season it is easy to understand why anybody would say, “run the ball more”. The thing is our running game was mostly unimpressive and our defense was flat out terrible. I don’t know about the defense “playing to potentital”. To me your only as good or bad as you play. I just don’t believe that last season’s team could’ve been successful leaning heavily on an average at best running game and a lousy defense…..nor could they be successful using a pass happy attack. Let’s be honest, we flat out stunk last season.

39. By Scott H on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

Glad to see that we have an OC again and that Whiz will go back to just being the head coach. But we still need a QB on the field to make this offense go or it ain’t gonna matter who is calling plays. We’ll have to worry about that later. But for now, it’s heading in the right direction.

RelayTV – interesting opinion about the QB’s you mentioned. First, I knew your numbers for DA were not correct and I think Mike ellingbone provided the correct numbers. Regardless, I must say, this is one of those areas where numbers just don’t seem to tell the story. Sometimes, you have to go by what your eyes tell you. My eyes tell me that DA is just a god-awful QB. I don’t even care what his numbers are. Fact is, wins and losses are ALWAYS the numbers that matter most with QB’s. Period. End of story. DA was the starter here for almost an entire season and this teams won TWO of those games. Skelton started far fewer games and won just as many.

Again, wins and losses trump all else. I wouldn’t care what DA’s completion percentage was this past season. He didn’t win games and that’s all that matters. I know that Sanchez won a lot of games and was playing in the AFC title game. Therefore, I don’t care what his percentage is, either. He wins games. Period. End of story.

40. By KyCardsfan on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

@Relay

R u suggesting we keep DA???

41. By Relay TV on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

Mike, Jo, Scott,

I hear your points, and agree with much of what you are saying, however…

The premise that either of the 3 QB’s that I mentioned instead of DA guarantees us a winning season is pure speculation. And how much better they are than DA cannot be accurately judged unless they play on the same team.

Those QB’s didn’t play behind our line, and in our system.

Running for your life and getting hit in the mouth every other throw makes anybody look bad.

Check out Andreson’s stats for sacks this year (25 in 12 games/10 starts). Ryan had only 23 and he started 16 games and threw it almost twice as much as Anderson (327 vs. 571). That’s a huge difference in line play.

That’s why I think that only Flacco could take the punishment that our system/Oline inflict on our QB’s (40 Sacks in 16 games.)

Bottome line: You have your metric to judge QB’s, I have mine. We can argue who is right, but the ONLY QB who made our system work (WARNER) was an order of magnitude better than anyone else available to us next season.

BTW- I am NO fan of Anderson. He had his shot and blew it. He needs to be released.

42. By John on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

RelayTV..

Im not a stat guy at all, so im not going to get into who’s stats are better then who else and i think its meaningless to argue about anyway, but I 100% agree with you on 3 things you said..
    “Let’s hope he calls plays based on the strengths of the current players, not on what worked in the past.”
    “Like it or not, Whiz has structured our team’s offense so that only a super-accurate, fast read QB can prosper (Warner, Rodgers, Brees, Rivers, Manning, Brady).”
    “But we could have won this division if we had a run-first offense and our defense was playing up to their potential.”
    I would only say on the last one that they would have won the division on the run-first offense alone, because we wouldn’t have had a defense that was tired and unmotivated from an always 3-and-out offense.

43. By Mark in Chandler on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

Have you ever gottne any feedback from the coaches on why the running game was not consistant? Was it the OL? the RB? Do the coaches feel that the the defense could have held thier own then the running game would have been more productive? What do we need to do to upgrade the running game?

44. By jason woodlief on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

Sorry if you already answered this but i thought Skelton made a good impression at the end of the season and i was wondering if he has been around the facility working on things and still trying to learn what he can before the lockout hits.

45. By Nathan on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

Trent DIlfer won a Superbowl. Anyone want a Trent clone? You can’t really compare QB’s on just statistics or “he’s a winner”, the overall team comes into play. And for all you “run the ball” folks out there – catch up to the NFL as it is now. Look behind the YPC and you’ll see some long gains boosting the averages. It’s a QB driven league. No QB, no success, and we aren’t the only team in need of a QB that is struggling. If run run run was the answer, Frank Gore of Stephen Jackson coulda carried their teams to the superbowl, yes?

Oops, a rant, sorry Darren.

46. By Big Red on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

Now that we have a whole bunch of steeler coaches in AZ. Why not have all are ex-Cardinal players come back to us after their contract expires with the team there with now. Just like there players are used to doing in Pittsburg. So, come on back Boldin, Dansby, A. Rolle, A. Smith and C.Pace your all welcome with open arms. Right Bidwells!!!!!!! Oh! almost forgot we can take retires too, like a la Brett get it Kurt Warner!!!!!!!!!!!!

47. By McNabb in AZ on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

Chris,

Windy! Good one……

48. By Card-Eagle on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    How are you doing this off-season? Dumb question I know, but what the Hell, surprise me! It seems to me that the organization is going the right direction with the coaching staff! Granted, I don’t know alot about Ray Horton, buit from what I have read so far, I am intrigued. It will be nice to see the Cards actually stop someone on defense and put some QB’s on their backs. However, all the great coaching in the world will not win games. God, here I am blogging like I am the only one in the world who knows what is going on with the Cards, I am such an idiot!! My opinion, go after Kolb!! I think he will do an excellent job! I like Skelton because of his size, but I will even admit, he is not ready!! As long as the Cards don’t spend too much on him, but instead what is fair, I think he would make an excellent addition to the team. I could see this team taking the division next season with Kolb. I also really like Von Miller out of Texas! If he is available at # 5, the Cards would have to be clinically insane not to take him!! That’s all I got, What do you think Darren??

49. By joe cude on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

DO you really think we have the running backs we need beanie is always “hurt” and tim is a super guy but not a number one. I think we draft rb number 1 screw everyone up and take the best LB we find in second and third. We have a decent line as long as we have decent running back and you know as well as i do run game makes qb’s better. I grew up in Dallas in the 90′s and even i know without emmitt troy woulda been a decent at best qb.

50. By Canadian Red Bird on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

Re: Offensive Coordinator

Darren, I just finished watching the press conference with coach Whiz and nothing was mentioned of whether or not we would be promoting or seeking out a new quarterback coach. If the answer is no, then I’m concerned that nothing has really changed and we’ll be back to the same old, same old. As well, I’ve started to become less excited about what coach Whiz says because the actions don’t support the words. His line ” were doing whats best for our football team ” is very inconsistent to each of the coaching portfolios. Wayne Gretzky, and I love this guy, as a player – best hockey player ever – as a coach – his record would indicate why he wasn’t re hired. Russ Grimm , as a player – Hall of Famer – no question; as a coach – its not going to be successful here or in his next stop. He can’t get the best out of his players – bottom line. The sooner management realizes this the better. Darren, if you could provide us some in site on the quarterback coach position that would be outstanding. Go CARDS!!!!!!!

51. By stevedco on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

Ravens and Jets…pretty good Ds so weren’t playing from behind like the Cards did all season. DA could probably play on the Jets and they still make the playoffs.

Falcons…comon man..Matt Ryan is a very good QB and getting even better. Saying his name and DAs in the same sentence are just wrong.

52. By Darren Urban on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

Mark in –

RE: Running game

I am sure I have written on the subject. But generally, if there is any individual(s) to blame, they don’t throw them under the bus. I think it’s fair to say there wasn’t a whole lot to be thrilled with on offense this past season.

53. By Darren Urban on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

Jason –

RE: Skelton

He was around for a while, I haven’t seen him in the last couple of weeks but he was doing some things.

54. By Darren Urban on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

Card-Eagle –

RE: Draft

I think we’re a little to far out to have to decide who is “insane” not to take.

55. By Darren Urban on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

Canadian –

RE: QB coach

The Cards have a QB coach, Chris Miller. Are you saying he should be fired?

56. By jason on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

Time to worry about bringing in extra talent now.

57. By RobCA on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

Mr. Urban this is off topic but hopefully a breath of fresh air( in a way ). This is the time players start to come to the facility, do you have an idea if obrian scho has gotten any bigger weight wise? Thanks

58. By AndyStandsUp on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

@Relay,
    I agree with you on most points on DA. However, he’s as smart as a rock and noticeably lost confidence last season. Couple that with a 4 mil salary and the post game blow up presser and the guy is as good as making next season’s roster as Joey Porter franchising a Bakersfield Taco Bell.

59. By drummer-1 on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

another one that don’t the differance between Mike and Chris, but want to say what the team needs to do to improve..

60. By Jake on Feb 16, 2011 | Reply

TIME TO THINK POSITIVE CARDINALS FANS!

61. By NJAzCardsFan on Feb 17, 2011 | Reply

It is tough to have a running game when the team is always 3rd down-15+yds. Due to Disaster Always inaccuracy with his passing game, they were forced to abandon the running game. A consistant QB would help the running game to be productive again.

62. By cardsalltheway on Feb 17, 2011 | Reply

Would you please ask M. Miller to try and get Brett F. on the cheap?
    Kurt Warner compares Brett F. to M. Vick…?

I say bring on Brett if Miller can.

63. By Jeff Gollin on Feb 17, 2011 | Reply

The first thing that occurred to me upon hearing that Mike Miller was elevated to OC was the potential for dysfunction built into having separate run game and pass game coordinators last year.

Part of executing and effective offense down by down involves integrating the run game and pass game into a complex set of options which contain any number of passing or running alternatives, checkdowns/audibles. route-priorities etc.

To have one guy in charge of running and the other in charge of passing leaves no one at the top to bring these 2 elements together. I think this hurt us last season

Making Miller The Man makes nothing but sense.

64. By cardsalltheway on Feb 17, 2011 | Reply

I think Brett F. could be part of the Cardinal “QB flood” if he’d come out of retirement and accept a lower salary — for the love of the game.

65. By brad oneill on Feb 17, 2011 | Reply

If it was millers fault we dropped matt lienart right before the season and if it was millers fault that we stuck with da so far into the season despite the obvious flaws in his game, then miller should be scrutinized. But if miller was doing his best to prepare lienart and then at the last minute whiz decided to go with DA for whatever reason, I would say Miller’s job was extremely difficult and i would not fire him over the horrendous season his players had.

if it is true that skelton was calling phantom plays that didn’t exist there is a problem somewhere that needs to be addressed but in all fairness to chris his time was wasted on lienart, then Da, then max, and the company line all year was that skelton would not play so his “game” preparation was probably secondary to his mechanics which i am sure he worked very hard on.

66. By Darren Urban on Feb 17, 2011 | Reply

RobCA –

RE: OB

I have not seen Schofield recently.

67. By Darren Urban on Feb 17, 2011 | Reply

cardsall –

RE: Favre

Judging by your history, I assume this is laden with sarcasm.

Please tell me it’s sarcasm.

68. By Chuck 1 on Feb 17, 2011 | Reply

Without a better QB and better performance by the O-line (or better O-linemen), it won’t matter who calls the plays, the production won’t improve.
    Oh, and BTW, Max must go. He isn’t an NFL QB.

69. By Big Red on Feb 17, 2011 | Reply

Forget Favre his all wash-up. Ca ‘mon man lets get real. Stupid is as Stupid does. We have our QB of the future and thats JS. It would look pretty bad for the cards to pay someone alot of $$$ and then JS beat him in training camp. Which is whats going to happen.

70. By Eazy E on Feb 17, 2011 | Reply

We didn’t have any good qbs plain and simple. Worst qb situation in the league by far even over carolina!

71. By Big Red on Feb 17, 2011 | Reply

we’ll see eazy-e

72. By Scott H on Feb 17, 2011 | Reply

Just an interesting something, since we are talking about QB’s…just saw on NFL.com where they had a story identifying 10 teams who need to address their QB situations this year. of course, the cardinals are right at the top of the list. OK. we knew that. But I think all the McNabb people out there should get that the Redskins were right there on that list as well. And why? Because the Redskins ended the season with a lousy QB situation BECAUSE OF how bad McNabb was and how that resulted in them turning to Rex Grossman in the final weeks. The article even referred to McNabb being a “disaster” for the Redskins last year. Hey, it’s just another person’s opinion. But it speaks to how McNabb is being viewed more as a guy who just can’t get it done at this point than the guy who went to all those NFC title games in the past. As always, people can be selective and look at McNabb from whatever angle they choose. No one is right or wrong. But I don’t see how anyone can ignore how bad the past two years of McNabb’s career have been. 2009 ended with a blowout loss to the Cowboys in the playoffs. Do people remember ( or even realize? ) that the only TD pass thrown by the Eagles that day was thrown by Michael Vick??? 2010 ends with him on the bench behind Rex Grossman and a rookie no one has ever heard of. This isn’t my opinion, this is fact. And people want this guy here??? No thanks. I’d rather base my opinion on what he is now – NOT what he was five years ago. And please don’t give me the Kurt Warner comparison, how Kurt was also thought to be washed up until he got a chance to rise again with the Cardinals. McNabb never was Kurt Warner, and he never will be.

73. By Big Red on Feb 17, 2011 | Reply

Well said, Scott I applaud you.

74. By 85301 fan on Feb 17, 2011 | Reply

IF MC NABB GOES TO THE VIKINGS HE WILL WIN THE SUPER BOWL HIS BODY OF WORK SPEAKS 4 ITS SELF REMEBER KURT WHO I LOVE HAD 2 PRO RECIVERS IN HOLT AND BRUCE AND THEN BOLDIN FITZS AND BREASTON MC NABB NOBODY SO DONT SAY HE CANT DOIT HE NEEDS A LINE A RUNNING GAME AMD HES GOLDEN LOOK WHAT FARVE DID WHITH THE VIKING IF WE HAVE A CHANCE AT CAM NEWTON WE BETTER TAKE HIM WE PASS ON TO MANY OB IN THE PASS MC NABB 4 2YEARS THEN CAM TAKE OVER THEN BUILD FROM THER THEY WANT TO MUCH 4 COLB AND FITZ NEEDS TO GET PAID AND BREASTON AND IF CAM IS NOT THERE THEN LB DEFEENCE B CUZ WE GOT BALLERS ON THE DFENCE OF SIDE

75. By Chris Lewis on Feb 17, 2011 | Reply

Regarding the QB situation. I understand your point Darren, but let’s hypothetically assume the CBA situation gets resolved, then what? Do you think there’s a possibility we’ll draft a QB or do you think we’ll lean towards getting a FA QB? I’m guessing we’re just waiting to see what happens in the draft before we go after a FA QB (once again assuming the CBA is resolved).
    P.S.: I can’t wait for next season. It’s an especially long offseason when you finish 5-11 the season before. I’m a glass half full kinda guy. I really believe we’re gonna turn it back around next season. GO CARDS!!!

76. By georgiebird on Feb 17, 2011 | Reply

The discussion about DA is so timely this time of year. If you saw DA at a combine with 25 other QBs going thru various drills, there is a good possibility that DA would be ranked very high due especially to arm strength and size.
    That becomes the beauty of the draft- how do all these tangibles translate when there’s a pass rush in your face.

77. By bluepitt on Feb 17, 2011 | Reply

” You know what did affect him on game days? Quarterback play (among other things). And it’s going to directly impact Mike Miller too” Then dont throw 560 times in a season!!!!!

78. By Darren Urban on Feb 18, 2011 | Reply

Chris Lewis –

RE: QB

I don’t know what will happen. Let’s say there is no disruption in the offseason. If they decide they like a rookie QB enough, I think they still draft him. And they will definitely get a veteran, I believe. Now, if they decide to trade for a veteran, that likely changes draft strategy.

79. By Darren Urban on Feb 18, 2011 | Reply

Georgie –

RE: DA

I disagree in terms of Anderson. Anderson was only a sixth-round pick when he came out and wasn’t highly regarded. From one scouting service prior to the 2005 draft (post-combine): “Classic pocket passer who will need a great QB coach to refine his decision-making and teach him to read defenses at the next level. Won’t be able to adjust to the speed of the game for several years. Late draftable prospect who will need a lot of attention.”

80. By Darren Urban on Feb 18, 2011 | Reply

Bluepitt –

RE: Throwing

I love how everyone wants to take this and talk about it like it happens in a vacuum.

81. By Mike Ellingboe on Feb 18, 2011 | Reply

@Darren,

Thanks for the archived evaluation on DA, I’d say it turned out to be pretty accurate.

82. By Mike Ellingboe on Feb 18, 2011 | Reply

@GeorgieBird,

Amen to that, I’ve always thought there is too much over-reliance on the combine. If the scouts having been watching these guys throughout their college careers there shouldn’t be a whole lot left to discover.

83. By Darren Urban on Feb 18, 2011 | Reply

Mike, GeorgieBird –

RE: Combine results

I will be writing something on this next week, but for the most part, the most important parts of the combine isn’t the throwing/running, it’s the medical and also the interviews — getting a chance to talk to these guys one on one.

84. By Mike Ellingboe on Feb 18, 2011 | Reply

@Darren,

Agreed that is what it should be used for, and am confident that’s how our scouting department/coaching staff approaches it. I was speaking more in generalities when an idiotic front office uses it to determine that a guy like Jeff George should be the #1 pick instead of going in round 5 like his pre-combine grade indicated (Cade McNown and Akili Smith really used it to their advantage as well).

Didn’t mean to imply that it doesn’t hold any importance. Looking forward to your upcoming article.

85. By Scott H on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

In general, I agree with anyone / everyone who believes that the pass-heavy play calling last year was a big problem and should NOT have been – regardless of who was calling the plays. Certainly, the Cards were behind big at times and that kinda makes it necessary that you throw the ball to try to catch up. Got that. But it wasn’t just those situations. The poor QB play that was consistent throughout the season did not support the logic of trying to throw the ball as much as we did. The play calling AND the in-explicable sticking with Derek Anderson as we just lost one game after another painted Coach Whiz as being just plain stubborn and that REALLY bothered me. At some point, they needed to realize that Kurt Warner wasn’t here anymore. But it never happened. The play-calling should have been more suited to a team that needed to operate differently because of the change in skill level at the QB position. But it never happened. If nothing else, this team needs to TRULY committ to the running game AND they need to start making the TE a viable option for the QB to move the ball, regardless of who the QB is. If this doesn’t happen…how can anything possibly be different??? We already know that all the talent in the world at WR doesn’t matter if you can’t get the ball to them as Warner did. And since there ain’t another Warner out there for us…the philosophy must change. Last year, it did not. And last year does NOT need to be repeated.

2. Feb 16, 2011: Tweets that mention Word From the Birds BlogThe promotion of Mike Miller « -- Topsy.com