Getting “antsy”

Posted by Darren Urban on February 18, 2011 – 10:09 am

Coach Ken Whisenhunt was right when he noted that we are creeping into the time of the offseason where players — a few weeks removed from the season — begin to “get antsy” and begin to start coming back to the facility here and there. Now, obviously the labor issues put a crimp in that a little bit, but there have been a couple of guys making appearances, lifting weights, being around.

Normally, that’d pick up right after the combine (the offseason weight-training program usually begins in mid-to-late March, depending on how deep the team went during the season). Obviously, if there is a work stoppage, players won’t  be coming around. But for now, there is the normal curiosity. “They want information, ‘What are we going to do?’ ” Whisenhunt said. The Cards are still piecing together what they are going to do, and multiple meetings are going on now, not only to have new DC Ray Horton sketch out his new defense but for all the coaches to continue assessing the current roster through video review (as well as meetings to plan out a free agency strategy).

At this point (and doesn’t the season finale feel a lot longer ago than six weeks?) I think everybody gets  a little antsy to get going on 2011.

P.S. In a quest to find out what you guys like/want video-wise on the site, NFL.com (which is the base for all the team websites) has a fan survey it is hoping you will fill out. So if you can take a moment and click here to answer a couple of questions, it’d be appreciated.

Tags: , ,

36 Responses to “Getting “antsy””

1. By phoenixraven1 on Feb 18, 2011 | Reply

What the NFL site needs is a fan survey on how this CBA stuff is going. Fans are the ones being hosed if this doesn’t get fixed.

2. By Barry on Feb 18, 2011 | Reply

I truely agree phoenixraven..

3. By Joe-B on Feb 18, 2011 | Reply

I only have one request for the videos.

Highlights from all of the games done like the season review or top 5 plays videos that have gone up lately. The ones using those sideline cameras the NFL Films people have out there with the commentary by Pasch and Wolf over some of the plays.

It would be nice if NFL.com still posted the radio highlight videos instead of just using their Gameday Highlights ones too.

4. By Mark in Chandler on Feb 18, 2011 | Reply

Have you seen DRC in the building? I am curious if Coach Horton and DRC have visited? Although athletic, DRC’s phobia against contact seems to be 180 degrees contrary to everything Horton has said. DRC could be an incredible corner if he would learn to be more physical. I can imagine what the film room is like when Wilson and DRC are in the room watching DRC do all he can to avoid tackling while pretending that no one notices. (I know it sounds ratical but if we could trade DRC for a solid young starting QB I would do it. The same goes for L. Brown. This draft is deep both at corner and OT and I think under Horton the team would be better with a change.)

5. By Darren Urban on Feb 18, 2011 | Reply

Mark in –

RE: DRC

DRC was in earlier in the week and has talked to the new coaches.

6. By R Robles on Feb 18, 2011 | Reply

Darren who do you see we lean towards in the 1st round of the draft? Is the draft still gonna happen if an agreement is not met?

7. By Jesse Robles on Feb 18, 2011 | Reply

DRC needs to work way harder this season!!

VON MILLER!!! #5 PICK!!!

8. By Darren Urban on Feb 18, 2011 | Reply

R Robles –

RE: First pick/draft

Too early to know about the first pick. I could see pass rusher. I could see QB. Let’s get through the combine and get a better feel of these guys.

And there will be a draft regardless of the status of the CBA.

9. By Tripp on Feb 18, 2011 | Reply

Is there any chance the Cardinals will be going after Charlie Batch, since his contract is up and he meets Whiz’s requirement of being an ex-steeler?

10. By Darren Urban on Feb 18, 2011 | Reply

Tripp –

RE: QB choices

I don’t see Batch, who probably isn’t in a place in his career to be your starter, as an option. Any veteran they chase, I believe, is a guy you’d think could start for you. Then you’d have, in all probability, Skelton and maybe a draft pick.

11. By Chris B on Feb 18, 2011 | Reply

Are the coaches under the same restriction under the CBA? Meaning, if there is a work stopage, are the coaches restrcited from working/game planning/etc?

12. By brad oneill on Feb 18, 2011 | Reply

Darren so are you thinking the Hall experiment is over? I know he was terrible but i think he has a future in the league if he can find a place to hide and learn. there is a reason most teams don’t play rookie quarterbacks and even fewer have played an undrafted rookie qb. I hope they give the kid a chance to develop.

13. By Darren Urban on Feb 18, 2011 | Reply

Chris B –

RE: Work stoppage/coaches

Coaches can continue to work. They just can’t have contact with players.

14. By Darren Urban on Feb 18, 2011 | Reply

Brad –

RE: Hall

I don’t know what will happen with Hall. I think he has an uphill battle.

15. By K-DUB on Feb 18, 2011 | Reply

Could the Cards talk to Atogwe to add some depth to our team?

16. By scott023 on Feb 18, 2011 | Reply

Please coach whiz, Pay the eagles what ever they want. Kobe is the qb that will without any doubt is made for us.He will take the lead and is the answer!! He will take us to the bowl. Daft pick are a guess,he is the man is worth the picks. You have answered it all now this will seal the deal.

17. By Jzoully on Feb 18, 2011 | Reply

Dear Darren,

I am a firm believer for love at first site, and that being said in 2006 that instead of Matt Leinart like everyone was saying he would go in the top 10 but I really wanted Tamba Hali, he was first love for the Cardinals but of course they rejected him. This year our first love is Von Miller, who can play either outside and inside linebacker, a tremendous athlete that can wrap up very well. And to not mention the fact we have a great chance in developing O’Brien Schofield. And Chad Greenway, anybody, I call him the secret assassin, you don’t know much about him but he is a deadly tackle machine. So Darren my question is should we pass on a quarterback like Blaine Gabbert in this years draft?

18. By Steve on Feb 18, 2011 | Reply

Darren, all factors being equal, lets say the Cards have an OLB, a QB and a CB all rated about the same on their own draft board when it’s their turn to pick at 5, care to guess which way they would go? I only ask because many mock draft sites seem to have Gabbert, Miller and Peterson all rated within the top 10 overall players.

19. By Steve on Feb 18, 2011 | Reply

Darren, also do you think Whisenhunt might be reluctant to select a QB in the first round because of the time needed to develop that QB vs his own job security in doing so? Any validity to that theory?

20. By MJA in MD on Feb 19, 2011 | Reply

The “Monkey” survey is too long and ask variations of the same questions. I did not like the complexity of it.

21. By TBru on Feb 19, 2011 | Reply

RIP Dave Duerson

22. By Brad ONeill on Feb 19, 2011 | Reply

“Coaches can continue to work. They just can’t have contact with players.”

sounds like the perfect situation for drc.

23. By Darren Urban on Feb 19, 2011 | Reply

K-Dub –

RE: Atogwe

They could. But I doubt they will. They have two starting safeties.

24. By Darren Urban on Feb 19, 2011 | Reply

Jzoully –

RE: QB

Should they pass on one? I don’t know. I need to see a lot more about Gabbert and any of these other QBs first. To me it’s a lot more complicated than just saying, they should or shouldn’t take a QB.

25. By Darren Urban on Feb 19, 2011 | Reply

Steve –

RE: Rated the same

If they truly have equal grades on those guys, you have to take the QB. Easily the most important position on the roster.

I don’t think it’s a lock a QB will rate that high, however.

26. By Darren Urban on Feb 19, 2011 | Reply

Steve –

RE: QB/job security

Whisenhunt is under contract through 2013 for plenty of money. I don’t think job security is a concern, per se.

And what’s the alternative? If Bulger or some veteran fizzles out, how exactly does that help job security?

27. By cardsalltheway on Feb 19, 2011 | Reply

Ken W., with that being said “hopes” while Graves is “certain.” With the new defensive backs coaching our defense they ought to be able to turn middle or late round pass defense guys into something special so I say don’t pick PP7, Prince or any DB in the first three rounds. So, I think we’ll end up with Von Miller as the # 5 and better pick an O-Lineman in the 2nd round. You’d think that since Ken W. was a TE, we’d have more production out of that position. With that being said, Ken W. ought to be able to turn a middle or late round TE pick into something special — still waiting for that to happen — and hope I won’t have to wait for the same with pass defense players.

28. By Michael on Feb 20, 2011 | Reply

Draft Von Miller! Draft Offensive line, Give beanie n Timmie the ball and playction pass to Fits with Skelton and tell me that won’t work but you gotta be able to RUN the ball! Not just give up after one or two carries like sometimes the cards seem to do.

29. By TSHIF on Feb 20, 2011 | Reply

Darren-

Let’s say management uncharacteristically goes after some big name free agents. Give me some insight to anyone who would be on our radar. Id like to see a nick barnett come over. Maybe a might light. There is some big name that I feel can really help holes in our team.. and is the asking price for kolb still a 2 and a 4? What’s the chances of that trade coming through

30. By Darren Urban on Feb 20, 2011 | Reply

TSHIF –

RE: Hypotheticals

I read one story today saying the Eagles want a first and another pick. The rumor has pretty consistently been at least a first, and again, nothing can be talked about until the CBA is cleared.

As for “big names,” no way to know. Namdi obviously will be a catch for whomever gets him. Not sure if there are any high-end pass rushers. Maybe an O-lineman.

31. By Scott H on Feb 20, 2011 | Reply

scott023 -

Who the hell is Kobe? I guess with the CBA thing going on and there being no free agency, the Cardinals are now looking at NBA players? And Kobe Bryant???

OK, end of sarcasm. It’s KOLB, Kevin KOLB that you speak of. And I’d like to see them go that way, too.

32. By Michael on Feb 20, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren, do you know if the Cards are at all interested in Matt Flynn at all? Thanks

33. By Darren Urban on Feb 20, 2011 | Reply

Michael –

RE: Flynn

As I have said, I think they will consider all options as of now.

34. By Alex Mann on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

Hmm… Off topic but what about Ravens RB Mcgahee? He’s supposed to be released by the Ravens. With Wells and Hightower both struggling this year is there any chance of picking him up just in case?

35. By Darren Urban on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

Alex –

RE: McGahee

No, I don’t think so.

2. Feb 18, 2011: Tweets that mention Word From the Birds BlogGetting “antsy” « -- Topsy.com