Heading to the combine

Posted by Darren Urban on February 23, 2011 – 6:08 am

It’s Indy time again.

I, along with a handful of offensive coaches (and head coach Ken Whisenhunt) will be on our way to Indianapolis today for the Scouting Combine. Some coaches, scouts and other team personnel are already there, and more will arrive over the next few days as the event progresses from offensive to defensive players. I’ll be keeping you up to date with stories and blog posts, while director of broadcasting Tim DeLaney will do some video chronicling we think you’ll enjoy. We also have a tentative plan for Thursday live chats with both GM Rod Graves and director of player personnel Steve Keim — as soon as I nail down specific times, I’ll let everyone know.

It’s always good to be talking football.

Tags: ,

48 Responses to “Heading to the combine”

1. By todd on Feb 23, 2011 | Reply

hey darren hope you guys have a safe trip…we appreciate the blog always,and always waiting for more! quick question…at what point in this offseason will you, wolf and paul be picking back up the cardinals underground podcasts? can’t wait man….this combine is like our thanksgiving,and then our football christmas in april baby!! lets go!

2. By Cards4Life on Feb 23, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren,

The Saints released Jeremy Shockey…

Could you possibly see a future for him in a Cardinal uniform?

We all now out TE are not exactly eye openers… He could be a vital weapon for our new unnamed QB…

3. By Phoenixraven1 on Feb 23, 2011 | Reply

Anything football! Were all thirsty here D! Lol!

4. By Voice of Reason on Feb 23, 2011 | Reply

Some reason why no defensive coaches are attending?

5. By Jeff Gollin on Feb 23, 2011 | Reply

Great time of year.

Is it me, or does it seem as though the overall pool of quality prospects is really, really deep this year?

6. By cards62 on Feb 23, 2011 | Reply

I agree Darren always good to be talking football.
    Try to get a good look and conversation with Peterson from LSU and Rudolph from Notre Dame my two first picks for the Cardinals. I hope we can trade down from pick # 5, but if we can not based upon what is available I would take Peterson. Plus with Champ Baily signing for crazy money this means the CB from Oakland will also want too much money, but he will get it from Dallas or some team.
    Go Cards College basketball March Madness and before we know it the draft will be here.

7. By Matt in Philly on Feb 23, 2011 | Reply

Man, exciting time of year. I’d love to hear what TEs look the best, and if the scouts think there are any sleepers on the O-Line. It’d would be great if we could help ourselves out at those positions with the 37th pick. A TE who can block and catch would be a huge asset to a QB new to the system (whether he’s young or just new), and we could really use some depth in those OG slots.

8. By RelayTV on Feb 23, 2011 | Reply

Fly Safe Darren, and help Whiz pick us some good ones.

9. By BigRedFan on Feb 23, 2011 | Reply

LUCKEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

10. By AndyStandsUp on Feb 23, 2011 | Reply

Darren, I read the 1985 version of the combine was held in Arizona, but for the life of me, I can’t recall where.
    Was it Sun Devil Stadium?

11. By brad oneill on Feb 23, 2011 | Reply

so you missed out on Hawaii at least they let you go to indianapolis in february!

you should be like larry and surpise some lucky fan with an all expense paid trip to the combine if they can find you at a random gas station in the valley. instead of taking them to dinner you can just grab a couple of 99cent hot dogs and a slushie.

12. By R Robles on Feb 23, 2011 | Reply

Good Luck Darren Let us know who impressed you the Most. have fun be safe

13. By Mike F on Feb 23, 2011 | Reply

Hope NOT but if a lock out were to occur for the whole season, would there be another draft and would we get the same #5 pick? (Sorry if a repeat question)
    Would suck to miss a whole season but another #5 pick wouldn’t be so bad.

14. By mike hadzinski on Feb 23, 2011 | Reply

darren

who is the TE from notre dame he is a big WHITEBOY WHO LOOKS LIKE A MARCUS FINELY TYPE will he be there in RD 2

15. By Jesse Robles on Feb 23, 2011 | Reply

1st RD VON MILLER
    2nd RD CASEY MATTHEWS!!

16. By Brandon LA on Feb 23, 2011 | Reply

Go Cardinals!

17. By georgiebird on Feb 23, 2011 | Reply

Here’s the way the off-season may work out (if new CBA):
    1) McNabb will sign a 2 year contract with Cards- McN wants dearly to play in AZ and he still has the ability to win the West. Stars usually get what they want today in pro sports (see Carmello Anthony).
    2) Cards will draft AJ Green #1- Cards saw what a talent (game changer) Dez Bryant was and Green may be better. Also insurance for Larry and Steve.
    3) balance of draft will be all defense to give Horton and the other new hires every chance to succeed.

18. By Darren Urban on Feb 23, 2011 | Reply

Voice —

RE: Defensive coaches

They don’t come out for another day or two, because defensive players don’t come out for another day or two.

19. By Darren Urban on Feb 23, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Az “combine”

That was a little before my time. It might have been ASU, but I don’t think it would have been at the stadium. I will see if I can find out.

20. By Darren Urban on Feb 23, 2011 | Reply

Mike F —

RE: 2012 draft

That I don’t know, but it doesn’t matter — I am 100 percent sure the entire season won’t be wiped out. Just no way.

21. By Darren Urban on Feb 23, 2011 | Reply

Georgie —

RE: Offseason with a CBA

Maybe 3) could happen. But I’d be willing to bet a large amount of something 1) and 2) will not.

22. By Jon L. on Feb 23, 2011 | Reply

It seems like a lot of “Experts” are saying that the cards are going to draft a guy like Von miller or Blaine Gabbart in the first round. The only way I want to see the cards draft a QB is if someone like Ryan Mallet falls to them in the 2nd round he has the strong arm and big ben type frame that coach whiz is looking for and should be more prepared for the NFL coming from a pro style offense. With our new coaches on the D I think we should draft a CB in the first round to throw in the mix with DRC and GT what do you think Darren?

23. By Darren Urban on Feb 23, 2011 | Reply

Jon L —

RE: First round

I think cornerbacks always look better when they have someone pressuring the passer.

24. By Phoenixraven1 on Feb 23, 2011 | Reply

Von Miller!!!!

25. By Jon L. on Feb 23, 2011 | Reply

Very true Darren

26. By Scott H on Feb 23, 2011 | Reply

georgiebird –

RE: #1

Honestly, I’d rather see Skelton get a chance to grow and develop than have McNabb for two years. And that’s if they don’t draft someone in the first round or trade for Kolb. I think if they draft someone at #5 in the first round, there’s no way McNabb will be here. First, anyone they draft at #5 better be playing real soon! Second, I don’t see McNabb coming here to be replaced as soon as the rookie is ready. Third, there’s no way they can afford a QB taken at #5 AND McNabb. People who think McNabb can be had for “cheap” are dreaming. Too many teams that need a QB. BTW, all of this is fine with me because I see no good coming from having McNabb here.

27. By Sec117 Row8 on Feb 23, 2011 | Reply

Why are the Cards so against signing or getting McNabb? It will give Skelton or a new draftee time to grow while keeping Larry happy. Unless they want Orton but I don’t like anyone else available (other than those two…maybe Hasselbeck since he knows the NFC West). I was just wondering your thoughts. Thanks!

28. By Darren Urban on Feb 23, 2011 | Reply

Sec117 —

RE: McNabb

29. By Eric on Feb 23, 2011 | Reply

RE; Sec117 Row8, there is a reason McN got benched. He is an older player that has had “attitude” issues in the past, hes not a Whiz type of guy. Why are you guys hell bent on a stop gap 1 or 2 year player. We need a long term solution and Kolb is our best bet. McN is done, that why he sat and when he didn’t, he sucked. Get over the name.

Second, Cards please draft a solid ILB like Von Miller, or at least get P. Peterson with our first pick. Immediate starters. I’m not sure where this AJ Green thing is coming from. We have way worse needs at almost every other position. Besides, I still think Stevie Williams is going to be good someday soon.

30. By Mike F on Feb 23, 2011 | Reply

Eric,
    Kolb is garbage and unproven! He hasn’t done anything to show me he is a franchise QB. Ask the Eagles. Thats why they are dealing him away!

31. By Mike F on Feb 23, 2011 | Reply

After giving him a BIG contract and naming him the franchise QB and DON’T tell me it’s because of Vick. Vick only has a few years left. They would keep Kolb if he was so good!

32. By Eric on Feb 23, 2011 | Reply

Mike F, uh, its because of Vick, and because of Vick, his value as a trade is high, giving Philly more and better draft picks, IE, what New England does. Check out their draft board. INSANE! Nobody would keep two starters if there is an option. Vick had two years away from the game and has plenty of time left to play, not to mention he is the better player, so of course they won’t dump him. I wanted to sign Vick before Philly did two years ago. I wonder how our year would have gone with him after a year spent with Warner? I’m gonna go out on a limb and say a lot better than with DA and two rookies. You are right, they did give him a big contract, and not because he is “garbage”. I’ll assume the Philly front office saw something you clearly did not. Again, he is proven, more than anybody else out there who is available, would be a 6 to 8 year or more player, and thats why we should go for him.

33. By Mike F aka Sec117 Row8 on Feb 23, 2011 | Reply

Eric,
    I agree to disagree on the Kolb subject. I don’t believe he is a proven NFL franchise quarterback. To me he hasn’t done anything that Leinart did. He has show glimpses of high caliber and 2nd string. Therefore I don’t want to see the Cards waste draft picks on him. Just my take. I get what you’re saying though.
    Stats don’t lie????
    Kolb’s best year: Leinart’s:
    GS= 6 11
    Comp %= 60.8 56.8
    Total Yrds = 1,197 2,547
    AVG= 6.3 6.8
    TDs= 7 11
    INTs= 7 12
    Sacks= 15 21
    FUM= 6 11

And NO, I am NOT a Leinart fan and I don’t want him back. Given the projections had Kolb started another 5 games. Stats look almost the same. And to harp on Darren Urban’s Voice and argument of why McNabb won’t fit our system, Kolb grew up in the same system for the last 5yrs and that’s all he knows! It seems like he can’t get rid of the ball quickly and that’s not good with our O-line.So no thank you on Kolb.

References:

34. By KEVIN KOLB on Feb 24, 2011 | Reply

please tell everyone in arizona to get me out their please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

35. By Scott H on Feb 24, 2011 | Reply

Eric –

RE: Your thoughts on McNabb

You da man, brother!

Mike F –

RE: Your thoughts on Kolb

A direct quote from you post – “Kolb is garbage and unproven.” Hmmm…usually it takes the average person several sentences to completely contradict themselves, but you just did it in 5 words!!! Make up your mind, dude – is he garbage or is he unproven? You can go either way and have a perfectly valid opinion. But you can’t have it both ways! If he’s unproven, then he can’t be garbage. If he’s garbage, then he must be proven. Sort it out and get back to us.

36. By Mike F on Feb 24, 2011 | Reply

Scott H,
    No, I believe he is garbage whether he is proven or unproven. Bottom line! Secondly, I don’t want to trade for him because we should trade (if we are going that route) for a “more” proven QB to label them a franchise/ starting QB. That’s what we want right? A franchise QB? SO, I think he is GARBAGE! And he is unproven to hold ground for making a trade for him as a Franchise/ Starting QB.
    In summary: He is unproven to label a Franchise/ Starting QB and I believe he is GARBAGE with his “proven” track record so far.
    Happy? No? Kolb is Proven GARBAGE! How about that?
    I still believe you can say BOTH unproven and garbage in same sentence when covering two different topics in one sentence. Kolb is garbage and unproven (the whole franchise qb and worth trading for thing).
    You da man, brotha!

37. By Tony R on Feb 24, 2011 | Reply

I agree with Mike. I don’t want Kolb…He is just another DA.

38. By cardsalltheway on Feb 24, 2011 | Reply

When will the 2010 player BIO’s/stats be completed?

39. By cardsalltheway on Feb 24, 2011 | Reply

Correction, stats are in place but BIO’s aren’t.

40. By Darren Urban on Feb 24, 2011 | Reply

Cardsall —

RE: Player bios

Those are the bios from the media guide, so until the media guide is finished — usually mid-July — they will not change.

41. By Scott H on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

Mike,

Whatever. I would find it hard to label any QB who has only started a handful of games in his career as proven, but you seem to think you have this figured out, so I ain’t trying to change your mind. But it is also a fact that ANY QB is unproven until he gets a chance and Kolb has not had that. Maybe that is what bothers you and others who feel he is not what we need. You say garbage, I say unproven. Neither of us is right at this point. But you’re gonna remember these posts IF he goes somewhere else and proves to be a winner.

Tony R –

Kolb is another DA??? Brilliant, dude. Absolutely brilliant.

42. By Mike F on Feb 26, 2011 | Reply

Scott H,
    Nah bro, obviously you have it all figured out and should probably be on the Cards staff. I never call people out on these post. It’s a Blog. People are supposed to state their opinions on blogs. Thank GOD everyone doesn’t think exactly the same other wise blogs would suck. Still I don’t find the need to call people out on their posts (simply disagreeing and ranting are different). Maybe it’s just me. And same goes for you! You will remember these posts if he comes here or anywhere else and He is a bust. You will probably be the first to call for heads if we give up a lot to get him. Idk about all that, I just added that in to humor myself. Whether it’s true or not only time will tell.
    Please note I showed stats of both Kolb and Leinart. I agree Kolb hasn’t gotten the chances that Matt got (kinda: could argue last preseason) but Kolb NOT being thrown into the fire and while being surrounded by a better team and ALSO being taught the same system (STABLE) for 5 off-seasons prior to being “the man” starting tells me HE is NOT the guy for the Cards Job. AGAIN, Just my opinion.
    Please don’t go backwards in the conversation. Yes, I said in a way he is proven but unproven. I already explained myself in my last comment.
    At the end of the DAY! I say GO Cards and Just want to Win the Division again.

43. By Scott H on Feb 26, 2011 | Reply

Mike F –

Agreed that this is all about opinions.
    Agreed it would suck if everyone thought the same.
    Agreed that we want another division title.
    Agreed that I will not be on the coaching staff any time soon.

I stated elsewhere that I think all of this talk about QB’s who have yet to wear a Cards uniform – and may never – could all turn out to be a waste of time, just like all the Leinart talk did last year.

Since you mentioned stats re: Kolb and Leinart, let me throw this in – ESPN Magazine ( current issue, I think ) has a story about Kolb and how he might not only be the best option for the Cards but several other teams as well. OK, someone else’s opinion and nothing more. Not my point. But within the story, it is shown that Kolb is statistically very comparable to Matt Schaub and Matt Cassel before they went on to get their chances elsewhere. Both of those guys have done fairly well since getting their chances elsewhere. He’s also comparable to those guys in that because they had had some opportunities to play a little ( Schaub in Atlanta, Cassel In New England ), there was less uncertainty involved for the teams that obtained them.

Bottom line – Kolb is gonna prove himself – one way or the other – somewhere this year. I cannot – and do not – guarantee that he will do well. You cannot guarantee that he won’t. Either way, we’ll all remember these posts because if our QB situation isn’t significantly better this year, it’s gonna suck for all of us.

And, NO, I will not be calling for heads if they go get Kolb and it does not work out. I stand by my calls and I go down with the ship when they are wrong.

44. By Mike F on Feb 26, 2011 | Reply

Scott H-

Thanks for the heads up on the ESPN mag article. I’ll either have to pick up a copy or try and find it online. Im very interested in reading it. Thanks for the info.

GO CARDS,
    Mike

45. By JB on Feb 26, 2011 | Reply

im with mike bump kolb .. id rather start skelton and get a vet to teach him the ropes.. we have too many other pressing needs .. we need a LT, our WR depth is gbage, our OG situation depends on FA and a guy retiring, we have like three solid LB’s, we need a nickel corner and not to mention a TE.. trading draft picks for an unproven qb is not what im leaning towards..

46. By Scott H on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

JB –

Hey, I don’t really disagree with your angle, either. I would prefer Kolb as my first option. But I am not opposed to seeing them go with Skelton as their guy and address other needs elsewhere. I would not be un-happy with that.

Mike

No problem. I caught up on my ESPN Magazine reading this weekend while I was waiting several hours to get my brakes done! I applaud Firestone for their reading material in the waiting area!

47. By Mike F on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

JB,
    I agree. I think our other needs are at DB, O-Line, TE , pretty much everything you said. WR depth is bad. We have a lot of holes in our team and lockout is gonna just hurt it even more without trades and free agent signing. Or at least it will give the Bidwells’ an excuse why they didn’t spend money. Even though they probably weren’t going to anyways.

48. By Mike F on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

WOW, Tommie Harris just got released from the Bears. We need to hurry up and grab him.