Considering Kolb

Posted by Darren Urban on February 24, 2011 – 9:50 pm

General manager Rod Graves couldn’t talk about it today and realistically, nothing can happen unless/until the new CBA is finalized. But floating around the NFL combine Thursday — not surprisingly — was talk of Eagles quarterback Kevin Kolb, and his possible availability on the trade market.

Let’s say he is available. What would the cost be? The general feeling here is those teams at the top of the draft — many of whom need a quarterback — probably wouldn’t deal a No. 1 pick.

“I’m sure if you asked the Eagles I’m sure (Kolb’s value) is really high,” NFL Network analyst and former NFL GM Michael Lombardi said. “I think there’s so many teams devoid of quarterbacks it creates the market. It only takes two teams and then all of a sudden the player’s value isn’t the same. Donovan McNabb goes for a second(-round pick) and a fifth. Is Kevin Kolb worth more than that? That would be hard for me to think that based on his tape last year.”

The question really is whether the Eagles want to trade him in the first place. Michael Vick is their starter, but he is only franchised right now and thus under control until 2011. Kolb’s contract, as we have said many times before, is incredibly affordable in 2011 — except Kolb doesn’t want to stay as a backup and he could walk away for nothing after next season.

“He’s obviously looking forward to being a good starting quarterback, and a lot could happen,” Eagles GM Howie Roseman said.

“We’re still evaluating all our options and all our positions. Obviously we’ve been really fortunate to have good quarterbacks. There’s Michael, there’s Kevin, and we’ve got a lot of confidence in Mike Kafka, so that’s a position that we’re always going to want to be strong at … We don’t discuss any (trade) discussions, external or internal.”

As for Roseman’s assessment for Kolb’s trade value? “Everything is just projecting.”

True. But right now, that’s all we have.

Tags: , , ,

46 Responses to “Considering Kolb”

1. By B on Feb 24, 2011 | Reply

Please just not Bulger.

2. By AndyStandsUp on Feb 24, 2011 | Reply

The Kolb rumors are beginning to play on my nerves like a McNabb violin. Unless the Eagles are willing to take a second and nothing else, the conversation should be null and voided. He’s gonna make 1.4 mil or so, backing up a running QB who’s bark is worse than his bite, so why wouldn’t they keep the guy?
    If Orton is off the table, I’d go after Carson Palmer, regardless of his extremely high salary.

3. By Boondock on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

I could live with us taking Miller or Peterson with the 5th pick and sending a 2nd and 5th to Philly for Kolb. I don’t think we should give up the 5th pick for Kolb though…not sure I trust him that much. Also, here is hoping that the new CBA makes Zach Miller an UFA and we sign him!

4. By dan on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

Would LOVE to get Kolb. He has been extremely well coached his entire career and he has a great accurate arm. He is a franchise QB. With that being said, I hope I never see Derek Anderson in a Cardinals uniform again.

5. By Darren Urban on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands –

RE: Palmer

Palmer isn’t going anywhere.

6. By Patrick Eagan on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

I really like Kevin Kolb… I hope the this whole lockout scare becomes over with so Arizona can start looking for a QB. I also like McNabb. Many people are saying he doesn’t have much to offer because he is so old but I don’t think he had very much talent around him in Washington. Arizona has a lot of talented wide receivers to catch the football. I don’t think the draft is the direction the cardinals should go either. Ken Whisenhunt is the kind of coach that wants to win now. He doesn’t want to have to develop a rookie QB. Another thing is that is the fact that if the cardinals would have had 2 or 3 more wins they would have been in the playoff mix. So a quaterback from Free Agency could certain ly get them over that hump.

7. By riwjr on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

“Let’s draft a Quarterback” We already did his name is John Skelton. Let him be “developed” by a great experienced QB that he will atttempt to regain the starting job from.

8. By Yazman on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

I believe we need that first round pick. Von Miller I think will be the best choice! I also like Jake Locker Maybe we can get him in the second round!! Get rid of anderson and bring in McNabb for now!

9. By UGH on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

i really hate all this von miller talk.. hes a good LB but not what we need.. if we are starting scho next year there is no way we draft von miller.. two LB’s at less than 240 pounds would mean we would get crushed in the run game.. we need a set the edge kind of guy .. look for a LB that is 6’2 260 (Justin Houston – maybe in the 2nd, Sam Acho – 3rd, Brooks Reed- 3rd) in the first round (if PP is off the board) i see no real player that fits our system I dont see us reaching (sleeper pick might be AJ Green).. look for a trade down and aquire more picks.. if we do that we might even trade those extra picks for Kolb (which i hope we dont) he really hasn’t accomplished anything.. hes overrated.. i would rather draft some more young talent and continure to build through the draft..

10. By BarryG on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

@riwjr- Absolutely correct sir. So many people don’t understand that John Skelton is a very good QB that needs developing he’s got the body type arm strength and good basic decision making skills to become the Cards qb of the future. What we need right now is a QB that will give us the best chance to win and also know teach Skelton the ropes.

In my opinion McNabb is def a no go. Good skills but I doubt he’ll be the teacher that we’d need. Kolb “meh” I don’t know him well enough to say he’d have anything to offer to Skelton. I’d love to see the Cards get Farve in as a QB coach… Might be my greatest idea ever.

11. By CJ on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

just as long as we don not draft cam newton! if they do i will throw a fit

12. By cardsalltheway on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

Please pass the word that it’s a complete RIP-OFF for the NFL to expect any fan to pay 69-70 dollars for the NFL GamePass. You get paid to listen to us bitch about whatever. Does the NFL really expect fans to pay to listen to them bitch and complain about each other? What a FARCE, I’ve about had enough with the NFL.

13. By John on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

Not favre as a QB coach…….I prefer Warner.

14. By Darren Urban on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

Cardsall –

RE: Complaining

15. By cardsalltheway on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

Let me clarify, the NFL Off-season GamePass usually runs for about 5 months (from late Feb. through July approx.) at which point I believe fans can purchase the NFL season pass which includes preseason games excluding playoffs/Super Bowl. Since the NFL can’t promise the fan anything other than the draft at this time, why should the fan pay for basically the draft ONLY+ the bitching between NFL owner Billionaires(some or all of whom somehow gets taxpayer money) and NFL Millionaires?
    GAME IS OFF AS OF NOW.

16. By Ty on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

Darren
    I’m not sure what his 40 time is? But what are cassey mathews chances of moving to safety in the nil? Being a pat tillman kind of player.

17. By Darren Urban on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

Ty –

RE: Casey Mathews

To be honest, I have no idea.

18. By AndyStandsUp on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

RE: Palmer
    Au contraire mon fraire, Darren. Just because Mike Brown of the Bengals says Carson isn’t going to be traded, doesn’t mean it won’t happen. (See Corey Dillion.)
    A disgruntled player who is a team leader occasionally is shipped to other teams. (See Anquan Boldin.) And just because a player threatens retirement doesn’t mean he won’t follow through. (See Jake Plummer.)
    Look, the guy is on the backside of his career and makes a lot of money. His team has tried to placate him with a new OC and probably promised WR AJ Green as a possible draft pick. But to rule him out of the Cards equation would be a mistake, IMO.
    Thanks for the rant.

19. By BarryG on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

Darren
    I’ve been reading your blog since last preseason and I just want to say. Thank you for your insight, and honest opinion, and patience dealing with such blabber from the unwashed masses. I bet you get a laugh a minute with some of the stuff people post on here. Thanks again!

20. By BigRedFan on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

My two cents –

Why draft a QB with a high pick? our last top 10 QB is now a third-stringer in Houston. This does not need to be a rebuilding team. THe pieces are in place with a few holes that need to be addressed. QB is one of them. Get a young but proven capable vet (which is what we THOUGHT we had on Anderson) and let Skelton develop.

Sure, Skelton was not a hyped first round pick.

Neither was Brady
    Neither was Romo
    Neither was Warner
    Neither was Hassleback
    Neither was Theissman
    Neither was Bart Starr (17th round!!!!)

Draft order does NOT equal NFL success. . . .

21. By BigRedFan on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

Speaking of which – - -

Our good buddy Vince Young is out there looking for a job. We have an opening. What gives???

1st round draft pick? Check

Crazy talent? Check.

Big, strong and fast? Check.

College National Chapionship? Check

Ability to win in NFL? Check.

Fan favorite? Check.

Coachability? Hmmm….Maybe . . . .

His coach at UT loves the guy. Is it because he was clearly disliked by Jeff Fisher? Is it because he has a temper? We don’t really know. Is his work ethic questionable? Coachability is the ONLY thing that makes him a tough sell!!!

HOWEVER – we know more about his NFL ability than we do ANY top college QB that we would spend EVEN MORE MONEY to get!!!!!

22. By brad oneill on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

Kolb is worth a first round pick even our fifth round pick. He is every bit as good as any of the top qb prospects in this years draft and he has 4 years or so of nfl life under his belt. his numbers weren’t spectacular but they weren’t terrible.

Von miller is probably who i would pick up with the number 5 pick so the question is would i trade an undersized lb with a lot of potential for a quarterback that has proven himself serviceable and also has the potential to be great??

23. By BigRedFan on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

Speaking of Houston – - -

They picked up Vick’s old backup who showed some flashes of talent when filling in (Schaub) and it has worked out pretty well. One more reason to be enticed with Kolb. As if we needed another reason.

24. By Nathan on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

“Actually, I get paid to provide content for the website. I listen to the complaints just because I enjoy it so.” Oh man, this made me laugh. Thanks, I needed that.

25. By D on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

D
    Did u see Russ interviewing any OT’s?

26. By joe cude on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

i’m not all that sold on Kolb anyway’s last year this time it was all “we need to get whitehurst that kid is incredible” and look at how that panned out I think VY could be made to work in AZ i know its a long shot but he can win games and he has the motivation to prove his old coach wrong. I dont think its anymore of a leap than Kolb honestly.

27. By drummer-1 on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

@cardsalltheway..

Is it kind of like how you’re bitching right now about nothing….

28. By Darren Urban on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands –

RE: Bengals trade

I will see your Corey Dillon and raise you Chad Ochocinco. And my instance is much, much more recent. And they have no QB behind Palmer.

29. By Darren Urban on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

BigRed –

RE: Draft spot = good QB

Fair.

But of the current “star” QBs, Brady was the only non-No. 1. Both Mannings, Rodgers, Ryan, Flacco, Roethlisberger, Sanchez, Bradford, Vick, Rivers.

30. By Darren Urban on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

BigRed –

RE: VY

“Coachability? Hmmm….Maybe . . . .”

Not maybe. Not even a question.

I don’t buy “Fisher hates” because they fired Fisher and said they are still dumping him.

31. By Darren Urban on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

D –

RE: Grimm

I don’t see the interviews.

32. By AndyStandsUp on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

@Darren with poker stakes:
    I’ll check with Takeo Spikes and Rackers and call with Cedric Benson. And the lack of a QB other than LeFevour is why they’ll take Gabbert when they trade Palmer.
    And unlike the Cards, I’m not folding.

33. By BigRedFan on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

Darren-

Wowzers! You are pretty down on VY. Since you are ‘in’ the league, and I am a Sunday observer, I will believe you know more than me.

Fair enough. :)

34. By Darren Urban on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands –

RE: Bengals

Whoa now. Don’t change the rules of the game. We’re talking about players that demanded out and then got out. Rackers didn’t want out. I promise you that. Don’t remember Spikes details. And I bet Benson doesn’t want to go anywhere either.

35. By Darren Urban on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

BigRed –

RE: VY

Not saying he can’t play. But you better be prepared for headaches, unless he matures suddenly.

36. By Jimmac on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

I just ran into Neil Rackers at the Dr’s office in Gilbert. He was a really cool guy! I told him we missed him. Although I thought his replacement did a respectable job as well. Nice to run into the players in the community. Especially when they are nice guys!

37. By Canadian Red Bird on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

Kevin Kolb:

Just for your information, Kolb was rated the 6th best QB heading into the 2007 draft and was the third QB selected in the 2nd round behind Jamarcus Russell and Brady Quinn. Since that time he has done nothing to indicate his value would be worthy of a 1st let alone a 2nd round trade. I really hope its the 49ers that spend a first on this guy. Go cardinals!!!! Take Miller or Peterson in the first.

38. By Scott H on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

Hmmm…all this talk about Kolb, McNabb, etc is starting to sound like all the talk about Leinart leading up to last season. It totally dominated the blog for months. But look what happened – opening day came and he wasn’t even here anymore. And ALLLLL of those opinions, regardless of what they were, ended up being a waste of time! I’ve had plenty to say about Kolb and McNabb and what I think of them, but neither one is here now and it’s possible that neither of them ever will be. So, to the best of my ability, I’m going to try to cool it with this until one of them is wearing a Cardinals uniform. Not really much else to talk about right now, though…

39. By Scott H on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

dan -

Regardless of who our QB’s are this year, I’m pretty sure we will ALL be granted your wish that Derek Anderson will never wear a Cardinals uniform again. Amen to that, brother. That seems to be one QB issues that most of us agree on!.

40. By Christopher on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

PALMER PALMER PALMER!!! Do not draft a QB in the first wouldnt be against locker in the second but much rather trade our second.

41. By Eazy E on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

Their is a simple answer to the woeful QBs we have: Donovan McNabb

42. By Rodgerscromartie17 on Feb 26, 2011 | Reply

If they dont trade for Kold there isnt much to hope for, other than who ever comes in can do a good job, but obviusly all the good choices at QB have to have something wrong with them right

43. By cardsalltheway on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

drummer-1,
    “Complaining about nothing”
    That’s probably because you know zilch about NFL GamePass. You really ought to know what you’re talking about before you tell somone they’re complaint means nothing.

44. By Chuck 1 on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

cardsalltheway, don’t you know that drummer-1 is the site policeman?
    No one is allowed to criticize anyone or anything.

2. Feb 25, 2011: Top Posts — WordPress.com