Some combine tidbits

Posted by Darren Urban on February 24, 2011 – 11:23 am

It’s been a slow start today (which is usual for the first day in Indy). Few players have come by yet, but there have been a bunch of coaches and GMs. So there have been a few things to chew on:

– New Broncos coach John Fox was going over his quarterback list and said Kyle Orton is his starter right now. There had been reports Orton would be on the trade block (but there have also been reports the new staff isn’t thrilled with Tim Tebow). Obviously, if Orton was available, he’s been a name many would consider for the Cards. So Fox was asked about the idea Orton’s name had been reportedly on the trade block, in light of the fact Fox had just said he was the starter. “It’d be pretty hard to be both,” Fox said.

Of course, that doesn’t mean Orton couldn’t be traded. But today, I didn’t get the sense he was available.

– Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo said he didn’t think new offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels should be classified as a “passing guy” and that RB Steven Jackson will still get plenty of work.

– New 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh was asked about his quarterback situation (San Francisco has the seventh overall pick and lately, reports have Harbaugh talking up the idea of keeping free agent Alex Smith in the mix, if Smith is willing to return). “I’m not going to tip my hand with what we’re going to do,” said Harbaugh (pictured below). “But I’ve been thinking about it a lot.”

– Interesting to see that Harbaugh and Ravens coach John Harbaugh — who spoke an hour apart at the podium — still made sure each was around and listening when the other got up in front of the media.

That’s it for now. Don’t forget the Graves/Keim chat in a bit right here.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

26 Responses to “Some combine tidbits”

1. By Jesse Robles on Feb 24, 2011 | Reply

Miller at TE from the RAIDERS BABY!!

2. By RelayTV on Feb 24, 2011 | Reply

Josh McDaniels = Rams OC.

Well, at least I’ll get to see if I was right (about wanting him to be OUR OC)

I sure hope I was wrong about him, but if the Rams kick our butts next season, it will be a “head-meet-wall” moment for me.

3. By AndyStandsUp on Feb 24, 2011 | Reply

Was there problems with the combine live chat or was Graves sending his responses via telegraph or smoke signals?
    That was excruciating.

4. By Darren Urban on Feb 24, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands –

RE: Chat

Not as easy when he has to dictate to me as when I am flying through questions.

5. By Phoenixraven1 on Feb 24, 2011 | Reply

Cart before the horse probably but any word if Zach Miller is going to be brought home to AZ! Tell me we take a stab at him! Please please! Lol!

6. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Feb 24, 2011 | Reply

Orton is no better a fix as Anderson. Please.
    I hope the Cards don’t go that route again.
    Best part about last season is its over.
    Whiz get your act together. You stunk it up in 2010.

7. By KEVIN KOLB on Feb 24, 2011 | Reply

PLEASE DARREN URBAN!! TELL WHIZ TO YRADE FOR ME!! IF HE CAN!!

8. By Scott H on Feb 24, 2011 | Reply

Oh, man, Zach Miller would be SWEET! But I ain’t getting my hopes up. Geez, just ask yourself – if you were a really good pass-catching TE and wanted to CONTINUE TO BE a really good pass-catching TE, would you even think about ARIZONA as an option??? I probably would not. TE’s become missing persons around here. We supposedly have some on the roster, but I ain’t seen ‘em.

Darren, in regard to the new regime in Denver not being too thrilled with Tebow, how much of a choice are they going to have in that matter??? The Broncos just drafted this guy, he’s a very high-profile pick, he created some excitement when he played last year, and the fans there already seem to love the guy. How do the Broncos just let him fade into the background??? Hey, if they go with Orton and he plays well and the team is winning, it won’t matter. Orton will be the guy. Heck, we know that for sure after seeing how another very high-profile draft pick ( Leinart ) got played onto the bench by a veteran who was better for the team at that time ( Warner ). But if Orton struggles…I think Tebow is gonna play whether they’re thrilled with him or not. The fans will demand it.

9. By cardsalltheway on Feb 24, 2011 | Reply

Ken W. was a TE and he better be able to turn our draft pick from last year(Jim Dray) into something. That is Ken W.’s responsibility and Dray’s confidence in his torn ACL from college year 2009 ought to be much stronger. Spend the $$$ on offensive linemen, blitzing linebackers who can also cover TE’s, mid-late round pass defense players, and a QB to compete with J. Skelton. Plus we already have Ben Patrick and Stephen Spach. Now, if only the coaching staff would properly use the tools they have.

10. By Ben on Feb 24, 2011 | Reply

Let me guess,

Did Whiz get up to the podium and say:

Everything looks really good in practice. Guys are trying their hardest and it was just a couple of missed plays here and there that cost us the game. We are going to keep doing what we have been doing, the system works……oh wait…this isnt after a game…were at the combine…oh let me turn off the tape…okay, questions anyone???

11. By Big Red on Feb 24, 2011 | Reply

Very funny Ben, how bout selling your season tickets. Seems like your not happy with the team.

12. By Ted on Feb 24, 2011 | Reply

Draft Patrick Peterson Please.

He definately is the real deal and if we get him we will have 3 solid corners allowing us to stack the line and stuff the run and/or blitz the house.

I know most people want the Cards to draft a quarterback but I don’t see a sure fire one this year. i say we give John Skelton one full year to see what he can do. To me he looked pretty good moving around in the pocket and I thought it was our poor o-line play that was hampering all our quarterbacks that was the main problem.

Also, if Skelton doesn’t work out this year we will be in the running for Andrew Luck next year (Think About That).

13. By In Whiz We Trust on Feb 24, 2011 | Reply

Scott H – RE: Zach Miller

I think that Zach Miller would embrace the opportunity to come to the Cardinals. Besides the obvious situation that he played here at ASU, it would be a great overall move. Have you ever heard that a great TE is a QBs best friend? Miller has never had a great QB throwing to him from ASU to the Raiders, but he has always been successful. He made Jason Campbell look like a decent QB in Oakland by being a great escape valve. Miller would only need to be the third option here, considering we re-sign Breaston, but would still be utilized in the same ways. Plus the guy is only like 25 years old. Whether we groom Skelton or draft another QB, Miller would be integral in the growth of that QB. IMO, spend some money and bring Miller Time back to the Valley!

14. By CZarr on Feb 24, 2011 | Reply

RE: Miller

Miller is in active contract negotiations with the Raiders. It’s not going to happen. I get the feeling current coaching staff doesn’t place much emphasis on possessing elite TEs. However, they do seem to be big on physical, blocking TEs.

We have much more to work on.

15. By drummer-1 on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

@cardsalltheway, what is it with the he better saying? If he don’t turn him around whats going to happen to coach Whiz are you going to fire him, i just don’t understand that, please tell me what you will do to him..

16. By cardsalltheway on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

drummer-1,
    Fine, if you don’t care whether Ken W. can coach any of our 3 TE’s to be productive enough to help us win despite being a TE himself then go beat your number one drum. Englisheee. and as to your question “What will you do?” I’ll do whatever I want.

17. By drummer-1 on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

@cardsalltheway,

Why didn’t you just say, you hope Whiz can turn around the TE position, by saying he better makes it sounds like a threat, when theres nothing you can do about it but complain on this board…Englisheee…. Whiz better win the superbowl this year, but if he don’t what can i do about it,just support the team and hope for the best…. I better win the lottery saturday…

18. By Ben on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

Big Red:

Its the off-season, thought I would inject some humor. I have had many ups and downs, as I am sure you have had, with this team over the years.

I would say last season ranks up there as top 1 or 2 downs of all time. So yes, there is a little pissed off in me.

However, Last year is starting to cool off, love our new DC, who knows maybe a run play will be called here and there and all will be sunshine and roses again.

Ill keep it positive, but we need some humor to get us through the next couple of months, especially if this CBA does not get worked out. Because then all of us will not have ST next year and that is no laughing matter.

19. By joe cude on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

NFC west is going to be very competitive soon Josh mcdaniels has a peyton manning type qb in development, and in my opion he is the best OC in football at the moment. Whith what Jim harbaugh did with his time at stanford and the defense and running back and young wide recievers SF has if he can fix the qb problem they are instant contenders. The seahawks were a complete mystery last year but they will still be dangerous get us a proven qb now if we want to compete.

20. By drummer-1 on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

@joe cude..

What can they do at this point.. Do you think they’re not going to address the QB problem, lets wait till the cba is done then we’ll see..but you can’t expect them to do things when they are not able too..

21. By Scott H on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

In Whiz we trust -

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Hold the phone…you’re asking ME if I”VE ever heard that a great TE is a QB’s best friend? Well, yes, I have heard that. I’ve seen that ( on other teams, of course ). And I believe that. Now…why don’t you direct that question to the coaching staff of this team, who obviously does NOT understand how to utilize the TE as part of its offensive game plan. Please, don’t preach to me. I get it. The WHOLE POINT of my post was that TE’s have been a total non-factor here in recent years. When the coaches of this team change THEIR philosophy, maybe that will change and we will actually have a TE that anyone outside the Cardinals locker room has actually heard of!

PS – Did you actually read my post???

22. By dBoom on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

1st round patrick peterso (if cam newton isnt available) 2nd pick brooks reed from UofAz. Have the cards consider this guy?

23. By cardsalltheway on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

Ken W. has put us in the position we’re in, he has basically brainwashed everyone into thinking we have a QB problem by drafting and then playing an undrafted QB in front of his own 5th round pick.

24. By cardsalltheway on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

drummer-1,
    If I could let you edit my posts beforehand I would:)

25. By cardsalltheway on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

The Rams were better than the Cards this year with a rookie QB starting the season despite their pathetic performance the previous year(Ken you ought to rethink you’re rule on starting rookies!!!!!!!!!). Yes, the Rams have S. Jackson(but had numerous injured WR’s) yet the Cards have two + good running backs that weren’t utilized and had better WR’s available than the Rams. The Cards drafted a rookie who could’ve performed better than M. Hall. I think M. Hall was placed in front of J. Skelton simply to protect him and that is ludicrous decision making. I do relate to giving a rookie some time as was done with DA(Matt Leinart would’ve been the better and more obvious choice even by Ken W.’s own words all along until he had a brain fart) but how much time and how many QB’s are needed to protect a rookie QB before it ruins any season?

2. Feb 24, 2011: Tweets that mention Word From the Birds BlogSome combine tidbits « -- Topsy.com