• Sat., Aug. 16, 2014 5:30 PM MST Preseason game at Vikings Preseason game No. 2 at Vikings

On Fitz and Porter

Posted by Darren Urban on February 25, 2011 – 1:01 pm

General manager Rod Graves and coach Ken Whisenhunt met with the media at the combine today. Nothing earthshattering came out of it, but I will have a story in a bit on the homepage and there were a couple of other notes of interest.

– Talks are ongoing on a contract extension for wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald, with his contract set to expire after 2011. The Cards can sign him to an extension before the potential work stoppage, but when/if there is a work stoppage, that opportunity ends until a new CBA is reached (and right now, the league year is set to end 10 p.m. Arizona time March 3).

“Obviously the window is getting shorter in terms of being able to close something before the end of the (league) year,” Graves said. “We will see what happens over the next week or week-and-a-half. Again, the objective is to extend his deal. The only real time line on it is the expiration of his contract, so we will work until we feel we can get the deal done.”

That’s was the extent of Graves’ analysis. There are going to be two factors here: The amount of money Fitzgerald can get (and the Cardinals know he’s going to want a lot, and are going to be willing to pay), and then Fitzgerald’s willingness to sign such a deal given the state of the Cards and more importantly, the quarterback situation. The QB situation can’t be addressed before the end of the league year, so I’m not sure Fitzgerald’s situation will change before then.

(And, repeating facts already in evidence, Fitzgerald has a no-trade clause and cannot be given the franchise tag, factors that will impact Fitzgerald as he gets near the end of his deal).

– Meanwhile, Whisenhunt was asked to assess veteran linebacker Joey Porter, who remains in a precarious position for 2011 given his salary of more than $5 million and his struggles late in the season.

“I can honestly say it is hard to say anyone had a good year when we had the type of record last year,” Whisenhunt said. “Joey was in a situation that was tough for him, he was playing a tremendous amount of snaps and for a player his age that was tough and that was not our intent. Our intent was to rotate players in there and give him a break. The latter part of the season, he wore down.

“I give Joey a tremendous amount of credit because he fought every day to get through practice, to work hard and be a good example. But I think he’d tell you he wasn’t as productive, especially late in the season, as he had been in the past. But we could say that about a lot of guys. I expect to see Joey come in and compete and try to get back to the player he had been for us and we’ll see how that progresses.”

I assume the player who was supposed to be Porter’s rotation was Cody Brown, who underwhelmed so much in training camp he was cut before the season began. Whenever the offseason gets started, Porter’s situation — and how he (and his contract) fits on the defense — will be one of the more intriguing storylines.

Tags: , , ,

54 Responses to “On Fitz and Porter”

1. By Phoenixraven1 on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

The suspense!

2. By i see on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

So they are taking von miller with there first pick. Id rather see that then a q.b

3. By AndyStandsUp on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

So, in other words, Fitz won’t be signed until a CBA is agreed upon at the earliest and Porter will be cut in the preseason.

4. By Nick Pepe on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

Darren –
    I think this is going to get done. In fact I would bet on it. But I feel that by doing it now it will be a headline for all to see during a time where the only headlines are about the CBA. It will show that the front office is committed to the franchise, it’s star player and winning. Who knows, it may influence someone (potential free agent or someone on the current roster) to want to win as a Cardinal.

Are the chances better than 50/50 this gets done by March 3rd?

And to all: I will be in Phoenix the 3rd week in July for the Elks National Convention…..give me a heads up on what my wife and I can get into during our free time…..besides the pool!!!!!

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member

5. By D on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

Well #5 pick should be taking eihter Joey’s spot or Clark’s…whoever makes less will probably be a backup and the other maybe cut. With only Schonfield and Davis, probably need a toal of 4 OLB on roster, but $5mil is alot for a backup

6. By Paul H on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

We all know Rod Graves is a very nice guy. But I can’t resist. Does Rod Graves ever really have anything “earth shattering” to say. He is what he is.

7. By Norcal530 on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

Fitz!!! Dont Leave man!

8. By Barry on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

I hope we start drafting better too…our record is deplorible….Levi Brown(2007),Buster Davis(?),Leonard Pope(?), Cody Brown(2009),Matt Leinart is still a possible bust too.. So I hope who ever decides the picks…gets some GOOD advice. Because I really hate seeing this kind of stuff. Last year was good I’ll say! A QB or LB with first pick.

GO CARDS!!

9. By Darren Urban on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

Nick —

RE: Free time

My friend, if you have to ask me what you and your wife can get into in your free time … I mean …

Besides, it has to be indoors. It’s Phoenix in freaking July.

10. By Darren Urban on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

Barry —

RE: Draft

Not saying they haven’t had bad picks. But you are conveniently leaving out any good ones.

Just be fair and balanced. Besides, every team is hit and miss. Look it up. You could do the same thing with almost every team.

11. By David Parra ESQ. on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

How you doin Darren? Question… Who do you think would be the safest pick for The Cards at 5, Patrick Peterson, or Von Miller? (If they are both on the board)

12. By Nick Pepe on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

I guess I deserved that. Left the door wide open. I should have specified dining / bar scene….perhaps a tour of U of P stadium???

I am not sure how anyone can speculate on the 5th pick yet. Too many questions to be answered before April.

So better than 50/50 he’s extended prior to 3/3/11 or will you not go there?

Nick Pepe

13. By D on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

Who is shorter, Rod Graves or The Hyphen?

14. By Darren Urban on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

David Parra —

RE: “Safe” pick

No idea right now. That’s what combine/workouts are for — although saying something is a “safe” pick is usually dangerous. There is no such thing.

15. By Darren Urban on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

Nick —

RE: Fitz

I’ll go there. My gut? I still think he will end up signing an extension. Before this offseason? Way less than 50/50. I think he’s going to want to see who the QB will be.

16. By Darren Urban on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

D —

RE: Shorter

Comon now. Be nice.

17. By WarnerFan#13 on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

Fitz has proved the passion he has to be a Cardinal! He isn’t going anywhere!!!!

18. By cards62 on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

Darren and Nick

Fitz is a smart man and he worked so hard for his freedom. Why do you think he will give it up by signing a long term agreement? I can see him staying with the Cards for a long time but only if the team does well so I think he will sign year to year or 2 year extensions with the same verbage about no franchise tag and rights to veto trades. FItz is my favortie Cardinal but I do worry we will lose him if we are not successful next year and the next few years.

Darren my hope is the Cardinals sign 2 experienced QBs via free agency or trade, and not give up too much. I just think all the QBs that are available come with a fair share of risk so why not hedge your bet and sign 2 for less money than you would be paying to Kurt Warner now. I believe it is also critical that we sign them relatively early so that they have more time to learn our system. Do you think this could happen?

Thank you, and enjoy the Cots Stadium. I have lucked out and been given tickets the past 2 seasons for a suite on the 50 yard line to watch the colts play one game the past two seasons. It is a very nice stadium and their fans are super.
    Steve

19. By brad oneill on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

as the official concierge for the city of phoenix i have the following recomendations.

For dining try Monti’s if you are into a great steak dinner. i recommend going with the Roquefort dressing on the salad for a special treat. its located in tempe near asu.

if you are looking for mexican food i like macayo’s for sit down but if you get a chance to hit one of the filiberto’s for fast food it should be a good experience. (although as with all food different than your normal diet you may want to make this the last stop of the evening just in case)

while visiting montis you can get a good feel for college life in tempe taking a stroll along mill avenue, there are several pretty people intermixed with homeless hippies and sidewalk preachers. its an interesting spot to people watch.

If you don’t mind paying a little more for drinks and you are looking for a little less raucous crowd i recommend heading to scottsdale.

The Phoenician resort has the most fantastic brunch in the valley if you are looking for somewhere special to take the wife and don’t mind paying for five star service this is the place. it is 45 dollars a person for the full buffet or 35 for a scaled back selection. it does come with sparkling wine and other non alcoholic drinks but if you want a bloody mary it will run you a tad more.
    10am -2pm 480-423-2530 for reservations.

20. By brad oneill on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

21. By chris on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

Darren-
    If Fitz signs an extension before the end of this calendar year…will any of the money count against this years “no” cap?

22. By Jeff on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

Darren, do you know which players the cardinals will be talking to today at the combine? or already have for that matter?

23. By clssylssy on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

I’d like to see Jeremy Shockey in a Cardinals Uniform this season (if we have one). Our Offense could certainly use his talents and adding a seasoned but still viable player like Shockey might make things look a little more attractive for Fitz. Of course there is the issue of coin, and if the Bidwells ever want to get to another SB they aren’t going to get there with rookies and shopping in the bargin basement Shockey was a major force in getting the Saints a SB win as you may recall. I understand that he just took a physical for the Dolphins and surely we can make a better pitch than Miami. Seems like he is just the kind of guy Coach Whisenhunt would dream for.

24. By Brandon LA on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

Thanks for the footage and interview from the combine. Hope the coverage and videos continue…

25. By Jon L. on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

As a fan who do you want to see the cards draft with the 5th pick at this stage in the process? I know that everything changes as all of the prospects go through the combine and pro days. Like a couple of years ago i had no idea who DRC was until after the combine.

26. By CZarr on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

I never really looked at it that way. He was in on a lot of plays now that I think about it.

Darren, do you think that we could post combine workouts of our draft picks after they happen? I thought that would be kind of cool.

27. By former AZ.resident on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

I think that through the years that the cards & whiz are getting better at drafting players hope it continues again this year. Also maybe hopefully they do better with free agency will be better this year, if so the cards will be in very good shape. If the season starts.

28. By Darren Urban on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

Chris —

RE: Cap/Fitz

All depends on the new CBA.

29. By Darren Urban on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

Jeff —

RE: Interviews

The team tries to keep those under wraps.

30. By Darren Urban on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

Jon L —

RE: My fifth pick

I would probably be a lousy fan, but I was never a big draft guy. Maybe when it comes closer but generally, because football can’t be influenced majorly by one player (usually) I prefer to wait and see.

31. By Darren Urban on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

CZarr —

RE: Combine workouts later

Usually, we aren’t allowed to cut up video like that. NFL rules.

32. By bluepitt on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

RE: brad oenill
    “The award Rod Graves deserves most is the Super Bowl trophy, he has been a major contributor to the success of this team in my opinion and that is the award he most truly deserves. of course his guys have to go out and get it for him now that he has been nominated. they came close a couple years back let’s get back there and grab that puppy.”
    Brad,
    Please help me see the Graves you are talking about!!! All I can see is the man who pushed the “CORE PLAYER” Speach so much that it was all i heard for a year from him, and then he let all our “CORE PLAYERS” walk… Dansby, Rolle, Boldin, need I say more!!!! SB trophy My A$$, how about a preformance clause in his contract.

That is this week’s rant Darren, Have a good one!!

33. By Code on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

Draft Gabbert if he’s available and if not go pick up the best DE/DB available.

Darren: what are the Cardinals concerns regarding the free agency market? Of course this depends on the CBA and all but assuming everything goes smoothly, do you expect the Cards to try to fill out a lot of their needs in FA or strictly lean towards the draft?

34. By Ken on Feb 26, 2011 | Reply

Daren what would you do, Daren can you tell me, Daren what do you think, Daren what are the possabilities. I have a great idea let’s trade Fitzgerald and a number one for Kevin Kolb. Wake up and smell the coffee Fitzgerald is gone. It’s pathetic when the manager asks a wide receiver who they should go after. Them moving Miller up for offensive coordinator was a joke and it shows the lack of commitment from management. Fitzgerald saw that and is gone. So chew on that. I’m sure Sam Bradford will enjoy throwing to him.

35. By Nick Pepe on Feb 26, 2011 | Reply

@ Brad – thank you very much for the info. I will put it to good use!

36. By Darren Urban on Feb 26, 2011 | Reply

Code —

RE: FA

Well, that’s the issue, isn’t it? If free agency comes after the draft, needs might change. The team has already sorted out what free agents it will chase when the time comes. The question is, when will the time come. I think they’d probably will look at a lot of areas — not to mention, re-signing some of their own guys.

37. By Mandy Sierra on Feb 26, 2011 | Reply

Does this team have ANY intention of re-signing Breaston ? There is absolutely no justification letting him go. Theres no way he comes at a hefty price. Unreal if he leaves.

38. By Darren Urban on Feb 26, 2011 | Reply

Mandy —

RE: Breaston

Yes, I think they’d like him back. But he, like about 500 other free agents, are in limbo-land with the labor issues coming to a head.

39. By chongisto on Feb 26, 2011 | Reply

Darren being at the combine and seeing everything that goes into evaluating these guys now and the amount of money they spend on tv time and getting the draft in primetime do you think it would be smart to have a rookie cap? or do you think it could actually hurt the draft because teams wont have to worry about the amount of money theyll be wasting on a player anymore… oh and I never read anything you might have said about the Panthers owner and his comments towards Manning when the talks first started … have you ever met him and is he really that abrassive?

40. By Darren Urban on Feb 26, 2011 | Reply

Chongisto —

RE: Rookie cap/Richardson

I have never met Jerry Richardson.

As for the cap, it’s not like rookies won’t be making any money. Teams still aren’t going to want to throw away a chunk of money.

41. By brad oneill on Feb 26, 2011 | Reply

BluePitt-The reason Graves is an above average gm is because he does a lot with limited resources. It would be nice if we had a jerry jones or al davis type owner that spent gazzillions just to make sure, but Graves works within a system where money is tight. I think moves like replacing Rolle with Kerry are genius. And its true we did not come close to adequately replacing Warner or for that matter Lienart. I thnk the team needed a change from the Dansby centered defense as it wasn’t as effective as it should have been. we had some injuries in addition to Cody Brown not working out that caused more problems than were anticipated.

The cardinals have fielded pretty good teams under Graves, we didn’t win last year but at the begining of the season it looked like we were moving in the right direction (with the exception of cutting lienart) and our failure was a bitter disappointment. All i ask as a fan is for the management to put guys on the field that have a chance at winning. The fact that Rolle and dansby went out and got paid big bucks is not a knock on Graves.

The loss of boldin and the potential loss of breaston are far more of a concern. boldin felt he was lied too, That is on the gm. breaston could have been locked up instead we leave him feeling unloved and hanging in the wind that is also on the gm. so he aint perfect but at least we get the talent here even if it is for short bursts.

42. By D on Feb 26, 2011 | Reply

You’ll be impress with V. Miller when he works out if your still in Indy. My draft assuming the Cards re-sign Sendlien and Deuce, don’t move or trade picks away would be:
    1st RD: V. Miller OLB
    2nd Rd: Best OT
    3rd Rd: Best ILB
    4th RD: Best QB
    5th RD: Best Corner

Re-sign Breaston, Doucett and Branch-FA go after M. Bulger, Z. Miller or K. Boss at TE, add DL Depth and a Punter

43. By cards62 on Feb 26, 2011 | Reply

To Brad and Blue Pitt on Rod Graves I see both of your points and I think Graves is in trouble now along with Whisenhunt and they better get our team moving in the right direction in 2011 or they both will be sitting at home with their awards come 2012. I hope they both succeed for all of our sakes. Graves biggest error was the handling of the QB situation last year, honestly guys none of us three would have handled the situation as horribly. In defense of him he did try to resign Dansby for years and for whatever reasons Dansby did not wish to remain with us.
    Letting Boldin leave was a mistake. If I was Rod Graves I would not want to work for Jerry Jones or definitely Al Davis, They both mettle way too much into football matters that they no longer know. Al Davis was brilliant in his day, but his day is long gone. Give me a Kraft anyday as an owner and he and the Patriots do not spend money like crazy so I think Graves has enough resources in Arizona to put a winning team and playoff team on the field especially in the dismal NFC West. Graves just needs to do his job well, and once again I hope he does.
    Guys if I am Graves this year I am signing 2 veterans to be my QB for 2011.
    Injuries happen and anyone we select will have risk.
    Go Cards

44. By AndyStandsUp on Feb 26, 2011 | Reply

Since the consensus thinking is Porter will be gone because of age, lack of productivity and contract, what about 2 other Cards that fall into the same category: Gerald Hayes and Mike Leach? Darren?

45. By Darren Urban on Feb 26, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Contracts

Because you are who you are, I can never tell if you’re serious.

Big questions about whether Hayes comes back. Leach has done a great job, IMO.

46. By AndyStandsUp on Feb 26, 2011 | Reply

What about Ben Graham coming back? Earlier in the postseason, you indicated it was doubtful. Why?

And when it comes to Arizona Cardinals football, I, like most of the posters here are as serious as a Kenny Iwebema chest mass.

47. By Darren Urban on Feb 26, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Graham

I just know they had wished Graham was more consistent this season, and as a free agent, that might be a place they look elsewhere. If he comes back, it’s not like I would be shocked.

48. By AndyStandsUp on Feb 26, 2011 | Reply

One more question, (and sorry guys for monopolizing the board, but this is like a live chat without the 10 minute Rod Graves response intervals) how about Ben Patrick and Bryan Robinson?

49. By Darren Urban on Feb 26, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Patrick/Robinson

Robinson, I would think, will retire. Patrick I would think is unlikely to return.

50. By Chuck 1 on Feb 26, 2011 | Reply

Cards62, there is NO WAY that Rod Graves will be shown the door.
    Whiz, maybe, if he doesn’t right the ship in 2011 and 2012.

51. By tyman on Feb 26, 2011 | Reply

Great job whiz. Every time you speak about the team it shows you really know what your doing. People and fans want to tear up every player and especialy joey. Thank you for explaining to fans. No one had a great season last year and to pick on a guy that could be great next year is a very cardinal fan thing. Hopefully the players deal gets done and we can see a newly charged cards team.

52. By Scott H on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

cards62

RE: Boldin

You say letting Boldin go was a mistake but was his departure really a matter of letting him go? And I preface everything I say by saying that I loved Anquan Boldin as a player and his loss was a tremendous loss for the team in more ways than one. But Boldin pretty much made it clear at a certain point that he felt wronged by the Cardinals ( lied to, to be exact ) and he wanted out. I’m not really sure if money was gonna keep him here. But here’s the real question – given that Boldin would have wanted to be paid as a top tier WR – which he is – how were the Cardinals supposed to keep him AND Larry Fitzgerald AND have quality players at other positions as well? I really don’t think they could have done it. All teams are limited by the salary cap and they have to be careful of tying up too much of it in two players at the same position.

53. By Justin on Mar 14, 2011 | Reply

Since there isn’t any blogs that I can voice my disdain about the lockout, I am going to do it here. The Bidwells and the Cardinals can erase two season tickets from there coffers. I am upset and disgusted that something could not be agreed upon in the ample time they have had. My family will enjoy our season tickets to the Sun Devils and most likely take a nice vacation with the $2000 hard earned dollars I will be saving by not purchasing over priced season tickets that I pay to support this madness. Thousands of millionaires and billionaires fighting to bilk more money from their lone supporters…the fans. I am finished with it and sincerely hope that other loyal NFL fans are as well. For an industry largely unfazed by the recession…welcome to your new reality. That stadium that I helped build with MY tax dollars out in the middle of freaking nowhere…let ASU use it as they renovate Sun Devil Stadium.

2. Aug 16, 2011: Word From the Birds BlogFitz’s contract and no franchise tag «