Interesting day for QBs on the podium

Posted by Darren Urban on February 26, 2011 – 2:22 pm

Two quarterbacks with big questions hovering around them met with the media today. Both had sessions that left a lot of those questions.

Arkansas QB Ryan Mallett was first, with drug use rumors having just recently been  reported. Mallett tried to deflect the questions, insisting he would talk to the various teams about the talk but wasn’t going to talk about it with the media, dismissing them as just rumors. “People can talk about me if they want to but I’m going to play my game,” Mallett said. But the questions didn’t go away, and when one reporter asked a final time that the questions weren’t going to end if Mallett didn’t answer them, Mallett ended the session with a quick thanks before stepping off the podium.

Mallett’s stock has been wildly speculated about, where he will go in the draft. Some thought he could be a high pick. Lately, there seems to be a thought he’ll drop, perhaps to the second round or later. Mallett said the strength of his game is mental, and he’ll have to be mentally strong to maneuver the latest talk.

Then came Auburn QB Cam Newton, who has not only had his own troubled past but recently caught everyone’s attention when he told Sports Illustrated he not only was going to be a football player but also “an entertainer and an icon.” Newton answered the question right away himself, although stunningly pulled out a piece of paper to read it as a prepared statement that football was his No. 1 priority. (He said the statement was misunderstood, and took the blame for that.)

Newton’s arrival stopped the media room — normally there is a buzz of background noise, but almost everyone in the huge room surrounded Newton as he spoke. He looked much more comfortable than Mallett, but was taking the same tack with his past transgressions at the University of Florida. “What I did in the past is in the past,” Newton said. “I’m not going to entertain questions about the past. I’m all about the future.” Newton did come across polished — and overall, better than Mallett in that setting.

Interestingly, Missouri’s Blaine Gabbert, the other highly rated QB, came off pretty well Friday when he spoke. Of course, the media interviews aren’t what teams are going to look at. It’s the one-on-ones, and I’d expect those — given the millions of dollars at stake — will be a lot tougher to sit through for the players.

Tags: , , ,

17 Responses to “Interesting day for QBs on the podium”

1. By EDijkstra on Feb 26, 2011 | Reply

I just heard Chris Miller (Cardinal QB coach) being interviewed on Fox. He said that, in addition to QB’s, the Cards are interested in increasing productivity at tight end, and in WR’s that can stretch the field for the other receivers.

2. By Pheenic Cromartie on Feb 26, 2011 | Reply

Darren, is Jake Locker at the combine, or has he chose to skip out on it?

Also, at this early stage, who impressed you the most out of all the QB’s there?

3. By Eazy E on Feb 26, 2011 | Reply

Cam Newton is a beast.

4. By Darren Urban on Feb 26, 2011 | Reply

Pheenic –

RE: Locker

He is here. The workouts have yet to start for QBs. They are tomorrow (and I see them on TV just like you).

5. By D on Feb 26, 2011 | Reply

Shaney said Locker reminds him of the Snake-guess we can cross him from the list

6. By Darrel on Feb 26, 2011 | Reply

Darrem did the cards interview newton. or mallet

7. By georgiebird on Feb 26, 2011 | Reply

The point raised by Chris Miller regarding a fast wide receiver to stretch the field is a good one. A very fast wide receiver is one of the best ways to get the extra defender out of the box. My point during the year was that as great as Larry is, he doesn’t affect a defense like Roy Green who was always double teamed and at times tripled. Green ran away from the fastest dbs the same way Larry ran by the slow footed Polamalu.
    I still think it will be FA McNabb and AJ Green in 2011. If there was a chance for Kolb, Larry’s comments didn’t help the asking price.

8. By Darren Urban on Feb 26, 2011 | Reply

Darrel –

RE: Interviews

Don’t know. They tend to keep that kind of thing under wraps. Would make sense though.

9. By R Robles on Feb 26, 2011 | Reply

Von Miller looks like a safe pick. Why dont we ever go with a great TE we always have great recievers but never a great TE to throw to. What do you think about Kendricks 2nd round pick?

10. By tyman on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

Both these QB’s dont seem like good first picks. WAY to RISKY!!!!
    The CB thats rated 1 looks really good on tape. Maybe look D or O-line number one. or trade back and stock pile picks.

11. By pacardfan on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

Dream wish for this yr. pick up
    FA/via trade:
    QB: Vince Young(has had offfield issues, but has better guys around in ARZ. to help. Fisher part of issues too.)
    Palmer (if avb.)
    Draft Newton is avb. and no FA pick up

TE: Take a shot at Shockey…he’s still good

WR: If Panthers trade or release(don’t see this though), Smith
    Draft AJ Green. he is a beast and DOucet has been injuried prone and thiscould let Breaston back to returning too.

Wish:
    QB: Young
    TE: Shockey
    WR: Fitz, Green, Breaston
    RB: TH, Beenie, LSH

I know…may sound odd, but I think it’s good. also get Bulger or Kobl as back-up. I ‘m not to impress with Kobl. let Skeleton get some knowledge and h will b great.

12. By Eazy E on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

Kyle Rudolph from Notre Dame would be an outstanding pick for our 2nd round pick, I’ve always loved this dude.

13. By cardsalltheway on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

I don’t blame any one of those guys, it’s not much different than hearing Ken W. say the same thing over, and over, and over again. And yes, it may sound like I sometimes say the same things over and over again but that’s just because Ken W. does. If he can, so can I:)

14. By A16 on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

pacardfan, all of that will assuredly not happen. Not even touching on your QB wishes, I cannot fathom the Cards would invest in any of those WR’s without first addressing the more glaring issues on the roster. IMO

15. By drummer-1 on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

@ cardsalltheway..

so you think Whiz is a loser, but you are patterning yourself after him, how interesting…you said it.( thats because Ken W. does.. )

16. By Scott H on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

Gotta admit, I don’t follow college football, so I never really know that much about players coming out. I pay attention to the opinions of others but really don’t have any of my own. That is part of the reason I have been so verbal in support of Kevin Kolb – because I really don’t have a sense of the QB’s available in the draft. Not at all opposed to the Cards dratfting a QB if they really feel they are getting the right guy. At that point, all I can do is trust that they know what they’re doing. But after the handling of the QB position last off-season…it’s hard to have a lot of confidence in that!

17. By former AZ.resident on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Do not get a quaterback in the draft I believe the cards can get one in the free agency just like they did with the DC. Just have to be patient thet are getting better in drafting.