Indy doesn’t provide all the answers

Posted by Darren Urban on February 27, 2011 – 10:01 pm

As the combine wraps up – at least my portion of it – I think about watching Cam Newton’s workouts today.

Not live. I was there but not there, watching it on TV screens just like you did, if, you know, you watch such things. Then, after Newton ran and he threw, everyone tried to say it was really disappointing or really not. At the airport this evening, I was talking to an assistant coach (not from the Cardinals) and a fellow writer about Cam-mania and taking a risk on him — or any quarterback.

So much was written and tweeted today about the quarterback workouts, Newton and otherwise. People say Ryan Mallett was the best or Jake Locker or Christian Ponder. On the other side, Newton didn’t particularly throw well today. Not that it really matters. Newton’s physical gifts don’t change even if his throwing was errant today and Mallett’s off-field issues can’t be answered by some impressive passes. Somebody on Twitter pointed out the poor 40 times of one running back at the combine a couple years ago – in the 4.55 range – and noted it was Texans back Arian Foster. Foster just happened to lead the NFL in rushing this past season.

In the end, the combine is a piece of the puzzle but only a piece and, in most cases, only a small piece. It’s getting verified numbers in the bench press or the 40 rather than using hearsay. Is any team – say, for instance, the Cardinals – closer to making draft day decisions on any of these players? Maybe a little bit. But that doesn’t mean any team is thinking, “Oh, that’s the QB I want.” Not yet.

Two months until the draft. Still a long way to go.

Tags: , , , , ,

88 Responses to “Indy doesn’t provide all the answers”

1. By brandon on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

cool to see roberts on the flag there… funny cause you didnt here much og him last year at the combine… thanks for the updates mr urban.

2. By brian on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

I think last year showed just how much we missed Karlos Dansby . Von Miller should be the choice at #5 . He could be a fixture on our revamped Defense for the next 10 years . I think you go out in get yourself a veteran QB in free agency and draft whatever is the best players that are available . I like Donavan McNabb , Mark Bulger , Kevin Kolb , whoever we can get ! Carson Palmer would be nice too !!! In fact I think we sign 2 vets just incase 1 of them flops ! It looks like its gonna be a nice deep draft . I think the cards have been doing a pretty good job with the draft since Coach Wizz has come aboard . GO CARDINALS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. By Brian on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

DRAFT Cam Newton.

4. By dan on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Forget Cam Newton, I’d rather sign Kolb than any of these rookie QB’s in this draft. Kolb is miles ahead of Cam Newton just in coaching not to mention Kolb’s arm and accuracy is miles ahead as well. Draft DEFENSE. Either a LB or DT/DE and draft Matthews in the 2nd rd, possibly the 3rd rd.

5. By John on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

I thought your on camera Graves / Whisenhunt interview was really good and I appreciated the insight as to what goes on there.

6. By ross on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

The starting running back on the cards didn’t even get an invite.

7. By kerouac9 on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

I’m sure that the on-field workouts didn’t put any players on or keep any players off the Cards’ draft board, but I bet that the player interviews at the Combine will erase some players from the Cards’ draft considerations. Besides the medical exams, I’m betting that the interviews are the place where a player likely to be drafted can do the most to help himself.

The Cards would be less likely to take a risk on Newton if he fell apart in his interview than they’d be more likely to draft him should he have completed every pass in the drills.

8. By CalifCard on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Cam Newton will be the next Jamarcus Russel. He only played one year in college! His ability to hit receivers on a rope is questionable. There will be a lot of hype around his athletic abilities, but the team who drafts J.Russel (err um Cam Newton) will regret it. We have a chance with the #5 pick to affect the team immediately. Miller is the only choice (if he falls to us). We need to pick up a veteran QB, and draft almost exclusively Linebackers (inside & out), as well as offensive linemen this year. Those are our GLARING weaknesses, and are where each side of the ball is won. Not to mention, Linebackers in training are what make Special Teams ‘special’.

9. By SteveDCO on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Is that who I think it is in the picture?

I’m excited to watch VonMiller and Mathews work out today. Should be exciting time.

Cards scout got a lot of camera time as he was the one watching Newton do the shuttle drill and watching to see him hit the line. Lott as always got his love with the 49 rep guy.

How are Lott or the other scouts picked to be the guy doing certain things? Seems like nice insight into some players like the Pitt guy running the 40s all day.

10. By D on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Leaving before the LB’s today? You act like you have a life to get back to..ha ha, don’t worry D, we’ll get flooded with information by the nfl network

11. By Mark in Chandler on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Darren, the litmus test on whether to draft a QB is Skelton. If you draft a QB in this draft you are drafting based on projected potential and not on where they are now. And it makes no sense to draft any QB if that projected potential is not believed to be better than Skelton’s. If you think Locker et’al are better than Skelton then draft one, otherwise be agressive in FA/trade and develope Skelton. I worry sometimes that fans think the answer to last year’s woes is to draft a QB. That only makes sense if one is better than Skelton otherwise, it is just a waste of a pick. To draft a QB is to conceed that Skelton is not the future and I am not sure we know that yet. I would rather see the Cards use thier pick to trade for Kolb or Orton or to draft one of the many other needs. I would be doubly hestitant to draft any of the QBs in this draft unless they just blew me away and you are confident they have all that it takes to suceed in the NFL.

12. By Darren Urban on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

SteveDCO –

RE: Picture

Yes, Andre Roberts got big play this week as one of the combine “banner boys” around town.

13. By Darren Urban on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Mark in –

RE: Skelton/QB

Until you have a QB in this league, you are in trouble. Period.

I understand the worry of a wasted pick. But just as you say you have to be sure of a QB to take him, you would have to be sure of Skelton to not take a QB.

And face it, in neither case can you be “sure.”

14. By former AZ.resident on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

I like either Von Miller, Quinn, Peterson, or trade down for the other Lb and get more draft picks. Also like mathews for a second round he looks like a lot of potiential and upside. What do you think Darrel?

15. By former AZ.resident on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Or what about trade down and get the center pouncey, and get the lbs in the second rounds. Because he looks to a better center in this year and next years draft. Also the cards seam to get good picks with lbs in the later rounds, and also the the trade will get more picks.

16. By Darren Urban on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

formerAZ –

RE: Draft

Sounds reasonable. They won’t be taking two pass rushers the first two picks, I wouldn’t think.

17. By SteveDCO on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

I’m not thrilled with the idea of trading down unless VonMiller isn’t there.

How often does a dominate pass rusher drop? If they didn’t bring it in college, they aren’t going to bring it in the pros.

We have role players and a good core. We need a stud pass rusher to take pressure of our DBs.

18. By Peter in Canada on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Darren -

I don’t agree with your response to Mark. What he says sounds logical. He says don’t draft a QB unless you are sure he has more potential than Skelton. Better to pick up a veteran and wait for a future draft if Skelton appears not to be panning out. We can get quality players with our first two picks who can fill our other needs.

19. By Chuck 1 on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Defense wins championships.
    DRAFT AND SIGN FREE AGENT DEFENSIVE PLAYERS!!!

20. By Harold Maloney on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

I’m beginning to agree with everybody else. Draft to fill your weakness. The QB search will end in either a trade or come from the lists of veterans available.

21. By Eazy E on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Dan-
    Kevin Kolb’s arm is no where near Cam Newton’s. Accuracy I can accept because Cam hasn’t played in the NFL yet. Skelton I didn’t expect anything out of his rookie year, but we definitely need to go after McNabb and I wouldn’t be surprised or mad if we draft Newton at 5, Dude is a baller.

22. By D on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

FA/Labor
    It sounds like this labor will not get settled anytime soon-so, why would AZ let two players who we think are part of the “Core” group go into free agency? Other teams will see a Breaston and Lutui and sign them to good deals, when AZ then if they want back will need to pay more in the open market.

23. By Old Man Riva on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Good job as usual Darren. All the hype about the players during the combine and their physical attributes etc., reminds me of the player the then St. Louis Cardinals drafted with, ironically enough, the 5th pick in the first round in 1986. His name was Anthony Bell, a LB from Michigan State. Everyone was talking about how this guy had the ideal build for a LB. Unfortunately that was about all he had. If he had decided to become a model for GQ magazine he would have been a legend. Instead, he chose the NFL route and became one of the biggest flops in draft history. All the fans should keep in mind the draft is a crapshoot, no matter how you cut it.

24. By Darren Urban on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Peter –

RE: QB philosophy

I understand where you are both coming from, but if you really like one of these prospects — you don’t pass just because you think Skelton has a chance.

25. By Darren Urban on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

D –

RE: Core group

Who is “we” in “we think?”

26. By Peter in Canada on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Darren -

Re QB philosophy

You are right but I am thinking along with a lot of others that if a Stafford or a Bradford was available by all means draft him. But those available this year all seem to carry enough baggage that it might be better to wait a year or so to draft a QB. Of course the powers that be might see something in one of those guys that we fans do not.

27. By frankie Garza on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Theres alot of players we could go after we have alot of holes to fill….. I like patrick peterson and von miller 1st round ether one would be great…. secound round another linebacker/ pass rusher or a wide receiver such as Jeffrey maehl from oregon would be a great pick and a big need… Sign a vet Qb Kalb maybe … I think this would be a great direction what do you think Darren ??

28. By Big Red on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Forget all this qb’s in the draft. Skelton is our answer, period.

29. By Mark on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Darren I think that ‘D” was referring to us fans and or bloggers. I do think he has a point. It just seemed to make too much since to resign guys like Breaston and Lutui who are fan favorites and good players that deserve contract extensions. Why not sign these guys before they hit the free agent market and we have to compete with other teams to resign him. You dont think the Rams will overpay just a little for Breaston. Lets be honest, the cards have alot of needs to address and question marks for them to compete in 2011. Why spend all your energy in resigning Fitz when he is not gonna sign until we get a quarterback. As for Lutui he is the best offensive linemen the cards have and without him, the O-line looks to be the worst in the league. We have saw some teams resign free agent players before the CBA expired. I just hope that the Cards Organization is trying do what they can to put a winning team on the field instead of worrying about profit margin.

30. By D on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

We as in me, myself and I and the Core fans..ha ha…I guess if they are not signed by now, then maybe we are wrong.
    Pete King says Cincy will listen to offers for Palmer…things may get interesting once or if free agency begins…

31. By SteveDCO on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Newton – Looked bad at combine with accuracey. Showed immaturity in blaming it on small school receivers even though coaches all say throw to the spot not the receiver.

Reports are he did not fair well in the 15 minute interviews coming off insincere and arrogant.

Why would AZ spend the #5 pick on such a risk.

VonMiller has looked amazing in the combines so far and is a player you will never find in FA.

We can find a QB in FA that can get us by until Skelton develops into the player Whiz wants. I would also expect them to draft another like Ponder or Dalton.

32. By Yazman on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

I believe it would be a waste to pick a QB in the first round! I would like to see Peterson or Miller in a Cardinal uniform next year. Jake Locker would be a nice to draft. He seems to have the right attitude and heart for the game. Whiz bring Jake Locker to the cards!!

33. By Bill L on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

I believe the QB issue was just about settled in the combine. There is no starting NFL QB in the draft…….atleast not without 2 or 3 years of hard work and seasoning…….and I doubt anyone can project that far ahead. Better get a starting FA, hopefully without giving up a 1st or 2nd pick. Miller would be nice at #5 and a trade back into the first round(if Necessary) for an OL starter would be nice also. Drafting a future QB will have to wait another year…..heck, Lose them all and get Luck…….and maybe Gruden….now, that would be nice.

34. By CMacyn on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

We need to get Miller, great attitude, no ego, no red flags, and a great motor. And he is getting comparisons to d ware. Draft him, please don’t let this slip.

35. By Darren Urban on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Peter –

RE: QB baggage

No one is taking a QB if they have big doubts compared to another impact player. But right now, everyone has baggage. Go back and look at what was being written about Bradford about this time last year.

36. By Darren Urban on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Frankie –

RE: Cards moves

I think there are a lot of different scenarios that could play out and make sense.

37. By Darren Urban on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Mark –

RE: Free agents

I think this is less about profit margin than leverage from both sides. There are a ton of FAs out there, not just Breaston and Lutui and not just with the Cardinals. I understand fans that are upset/concerned. But the reality was that many of the free-agents-to-be across the league weren’t going to be signed to new long-term deals until teams understood what the new CBA rules would be.

38. By dan on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Von Miller…………..without a doubt. He will be a Cardinal. Would luv to get Casey Matthews (bloodline part2).

39. By Mark in Chandler on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

I think we are in agreement on the QB issue just saying it differently. I agree that you need a QB before everything else. That has to be the #1 priority but the QB does not need to be Manning or Rivers for a team to be successful. Flacco or Sanchez look pretty good with a great defenes. Orton, Kolb, Palmer, Bulger, or even Skelton would look good if we got a tough defense. I think this is a pretty deep, but average, QB draft. There are a boatload of possibilities but they all have either accuracy issues or off the field issues. If there is a diamond in there then draft him, (I trust the Cardinals staff) but if you are just loading up the position then load up through FA and give Skelton a year or two. We are in a prime position in the draft ( a 5-11 year will do that for you), and this is a very talented and deep draft on the defense side and at TE and OL, all places we could use a talent upgrade. Unless you really feel good about the kid don’t draft a QB as a “project”. We already have one of those in Skelton.

40. By Darren Urban on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

kerouac –

RE: Interview hurting

True enough.

41. By Gary J on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

I am torn between us picking Von Miller and Blaine Gabbert. I really was hoping to see Gabbert throw at the combine. Right now I want Von Miller. I do believe that Cam Newton’s stock has dropped after his showing at the combine. He overthrough alot of passes. Darren- What is your take on Cam Newton’s performance?

42. By JoeVero on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Do you know exactly who conducts all of the interviews for the Cardinals, and is there any news on how Newton’s and Mallet’s interviews went?

43. By cardsfan007 on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

For the Free Agent period if there is a new deal with the CBA, what do you think about these free agents after getting a QB;

1. Sidney Rice wants to test out the Free Agency Market

2. Clinton Portis, he was cut from the Redskins today

3. Santana Moss off the Redskins

Last Whats the possibilty the front office looks in Antonio Cromartie? I think DRC and his cousin together would form a pretty solid CB Core

44. By Darren Urban on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Gary J –

RE: Newton

I don’t see him as a Card. And I don’t think the passing part of the combine will impact him much.

45. By Darren Urban on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

JoeVero –

RE: Interviews

Interviews are done with a combination of Whisenhunt, coaches, personnel guys, Rod Graves and Michael Bidwill.

And there won’t be any “news” about any interviews. Teams keep that to themselves.

46. By Darren Urban on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Cardsfan –

RE: Free agents

It is a total unknown right now. Portis makes no sense. I don’t see them chasing a high-end WR with Fitz still to re-sign.

47. By carlo7000 on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

are you still in indianapolis darren..can you try to interwiew von miller???

48. By brad oneill on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Darren- why would they have you come home before von miller even did his drills? i also found it interesting that although you were at the combine you spent more time with the coaches than watching drills and since you couldn’t discuss what the coaches discussed its seems like kind of a waste of time.

i would love to hear your take or a cardinal coaches take on how these guys did or didn’t do.

by the way that film on john lott was great, That guy should get his own exercise game on the xbox. What a great motivator.

49. By Darren Urban on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Carlo –

RE: Miller interview

I am not there anymore. Von came and spoke to the media Saturday.

50. By Darren Urban on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Brad –

RE: Combine

I don’t watch the drills live anyway. I stay through the media availability, and players are done with the media by Sunday. I go to talk to coaches and get a sense of what is going on.

The team isn’t about to give broad analysis on the players. For starters, they still need to find out what’s going on. Second, they are trying to keep a lot of what they think under wraps.

You’ll have to trust me that it makes me better at my job to go.

51. By Mark on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Darren, i just see what happended to Chicago. They get a Quarterback and an impacrt player of Defense and they are in the NFC Championship game, after a poor season. The Cards have lost alot of talent the past few years and it seems The Cards always go after older and or cheap players to replace players lost such as Dansby and Calvin Pace before that. For once it would be refreshing to get a top notch free agent to make the team better. I know sometimes it where players want to play, but you cant say that Zach Miller wouldnt want to play in arizona if they offered him a decent contract.

52. By fighting bird on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren, what are that chances Breaston want be a cardinal next season ?what is your opinion.

53. By Jesse Robles on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Blain Gabbert makes no sense. With so much Defensive talent, why take such a risk with the #5 pick? Everyone at the end of the draft isn’t wasting their first pick on a back up QB, why not see what is sitting there in the 2nd RD, guaranteed there will be at least one of these SUB PAR QB’s.

54. By Darren Urban on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Fighting –

RE: Breaston

Do I think he doesn’t want to be a Cardinal? I think he disappointed he doesn’t have an extension yet. Is he ruling it out? Not the last time I talked to him. But once you hit the free-agent market, all bets are off.

55. By CJ on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

hey darren i heard the jets will release jason taylor do u see the cards being interested in a veteran player like that or would they fear another Joey Porter situation

56. By Marcelo on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

By watching possible draft QBs` Highlights I could not see what they may have which Skelton doesn’t. One thing is play in College league, NFL is a whole new level of beasts willing to drag you down at every cost. you gotta think faster, act faster, after all you need to rebuild your way of playing sumed with you gifts.

you can Locker, Newton as good prompt Qb’s, but I believe Skelton is a better choice, considering cards can draft Von Miller. The only issue is on FItz.

Darren, is Arizona looking for a possible WR? on the possibility of losing Larry due to a draft decision?

57. By Darren Urban on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

CJ –

RE: Taylor

He’s at the end of the road. I’d expect him to retire.

58. By Darren Urban on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Marcelo –

RE: Wide receiver

Right now, I don’t think WR is very high on the priority list. They don’t plan on losing Fitz.

59. By CJ on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

what about greg mcelroy? is he on anyones radar at all idk he seems like an accurate qb

60. By Bill L on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

From watching NFL network and looking a mocks, it appears that Miller will be there at #5 …….IF……one of the top 4 reach for a QB. Bowers, Peterson, Green should all be in the top 4. Ariz just needs a 4-3 to take Quinn, someone in love with Fairley or Dareus at DT, or a REACH for the QB. The Cards really need that outside pass rusher and in the 3-4 that means an OLB. We will see how lucky we get………worst case, Miller is there and it is the Cards that reach for the QB. Cards need to start drafting critical players…….QB, Left Tackle, Outside Pass Rusher, RB. I personally think they have NONE of these at a championship level…..QB for sure….and ONLY one set of Player/Position appears to match up for them in this draft…….MILLER/OLB……just need to get lucky.

61. By Marcelo on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Thx,

Darren, Has Arizona got fan pack for outside US?

62. By Big Red on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Talking about cousins, how about brother to brother in the SKELTON BOYS. QB John Skelton to his little brother from Fordham too. Their’s your new Tight End for this coming season. The kid is bigger than John and you know John is 6’6, so lets get him too.

63. By brad oneill on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Darren- thanks for the answer, I didn’t know the press part of the event had ended my apologies. My thinking on the matter as a fan is I would rather have you cover an event like the pro bowl where you are free to report on anything you find and are in a fun environment than have you handcuffed. I also think the insight from attending an event like this is invaluable even if you can’t share it.

I am sure you probably have a much better understanding of where the team is and I am sure that will color future stories on free agency, the draft etc. so even if your combine reporting isn’t exactly what i am looking for, i appreciate what you are doing.

64. By Rodgerscromartie17 on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Darren, what do you really think the chances are of a kolb trade here? do you think its worth hoping for

65. By D on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Good job AZ placing R tag on Breaston! Now if the keep Sendlien, Lutui and Branch, I’ll give you my 999th version of what else needs to happen this offseason. (deals should be in place this week because once FA starts in the summer, may only have a few days to sign these players:
    1) Give this year or next yr 3rd round pick for C. Palmer. (hefty salary but if you trade for Kolb-would have to give him a pricey new deal anyway)
    2) Sign FA Sam Baker OT
    3) Sign FA K. Boss Te
    4) Sign Jenkins DT depth
    5) Draft V. Miller. OLB
    (Or if they can move down to 15 slot in draft, pick up another 2nd round pick and draft A. Ayers at OLB)

66. By Darrel on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Darren what’s you take On dontay moch he’s local guy I knew he kill at the combine ?

67. By John the draft guy on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

My Two Cents; or better yet, my wish list;

Von Miller has been awesome the past two years at A&M. His combine just confirms what was already known.
    With the 5th overall pick, Arizona picks Von Miller.
    In the second round, Arizona grabs Florida St. QB Christian Ponder. (provided he checks out with his past injuries)
    Then, in the third round, the Cards grab inside LB Mathews.

Free agency,
    The number one player to target is Nnamdi Asomugha. Can you even imagine DRC and Asomugha at CB. With CB’s like that, A-Dub can go back to what he does best, playing near the line and blitzing. With Von Miller coming off the edge, look out.
    Number two target; Tyson Clabo. A very good RT. Keep Levi on the left side and resign Duece.
    Number 3, Guard Carl Nicks to take over at left guard.
    Number 4 ; Mark Bulger

The cards were one of the lowest payroll teams last year, Even with a cap in place (provided its worked out), the Cards need to spend some cash.

There it is.

68. By dBoone on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

1-cam newton 2-casey matthews 3-brooks reed. fa antonio cromartie

69. By georgiebird on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

All this Von Miller hype is getting tough to take. When was the last time the Cardinals drafted a LB in the 1st round or any round and the guy made it to the ProBowl?
    I think maybe EJ Junior in 1981 who was drafted right after Lawrence Taylor (the greatest) and just before Hugh Green and db Ronnie Lott. And Junior a converted DE was close to being a bust as an LB. If he did make the ProBowl, it was as a token Cardinal. And prior to Junior, I can’t remember anyone. Simeon Rice and Freddie Joe Nunn were one dimensional DE’s who should have been LBs.
    Whiz and Graves are making the big bucks and their biggest nightmare is if one of these QBs make it big. If they’re afraid to pull the trigger on a QB or if none is worth it- then take the best player-AJ Green.

70. By carlo7000 on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

darren
    they wont spend a high pick on wideout but i am sure they will address later in the draft cause behind fitz breaston and roberts i dont see nothing)

71. By georgiebird on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

Can Von Miller be another Vernon Gholston? -great body and physical skills do not equal stardom.
    All the footage I see of Von Miller show him unabated into the backfield. Either he’s not being blocked or he’s doing some good things before the tape begins. How will he do with an NFL guy planted in his face?

72. By cody on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

Darren, as of right now, who do you think is most likely going to be picked by us at 5?

73. By Darren Urban on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

Marcelo –

RE: Fan pack

Not that I know of. I’d have to check.

74. By Darren Urban on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

Rodgerscromartie –

RE: Kolb trade

I think it doesn’t matter until a CBA is worked out. I think if there is a work stoppage past the draft, it’ll be difficult to get a trade done.

75. By Darren Urban on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

Darrel –

RE: Moch

Have never seen him play. But he had outstanding measurables at the combine.

76. By former AZ.resident on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

I think that the cardinals with get what they need in the draft like olb, tight end, Olineman, ilb. Not Quaterback. It wil be awhile for them to get adjusted would rather have skelton who look like he adjusted at the end of the season who know maybe if he gets more snaps in the preseason he might be good enough to be a starter? That’s why I think the cards will get one thorough free agency.

77. By Darren Urban on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

Georgie –

RE: Miller

You could say the same thing about Peterson. Or Fairly. Or Newton. It’s all a crapshoot in the end.

At least Miller produced in college. Gholston never did on a consistent basis.

78. By Darren Urban on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

Cody –

RE: Fifth pick

As of right now, totally guessing, I’d go with Miller, I suppose.

79. By D on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

If they are looking for a ILB in the round 3 range, C. Matthews has a name, but I didn’t see any impact from him in Glendale vs Auburn, plus he is not as big as his brother. I would look at Kelvin Sheppard, ILB, LSU
    D
    Do you think AZ would sign a free agent player this week if they like one? I would offer K. Jenkins a two year deal today. (if healthy)

80. By Aaron on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

Please draft defense first and foremost!!!!! There isn’t a QB in this draft worth risking a pick on. Go after Kolb. Please no McNabb, we’ve had enough aging QB’s for godsakes.

81. By Mike Ellingboe on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

What I’m wondering is why so many (not all, see Darren and Georgiebirds’s comments) think that taking a defensive player, especially Miller, is so much safer than taking a QB at #5? Have the rest of you missed the number of complete busts at the outside rush position lately? Robert Ayers, who Mike Mayock gushed over as well, has put up 1.5 sacks in two years, Jerry Hughes barely saw the field in Indianapolis and even had his GM saying they made a mistake not taking Roger Saffold with their pick, Aaron Maybin has almost made Ayers look productive by comparison, and we’ve had our own first-hand look at how bad that position can make an early round pick look (remembering, vaguely, a guy name Cody Brown).

Not saying Miller won’t be a stud, but let’s not make it sound like it’s a sure bet. How bad is the front office going to look if they pass on a franchise QB to get a washout at OLB?

82. By Darren Urban on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

D –

RE: Moves this week

I don’t expect anything until the CBA is figured out.

83. By John the draft guy on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

Why Von Miller?

1) He is not a converted DE, who will switch to LB. He has already been playing it. To play a 3-4, we need 3-4 players.
    2) His college production is through the roof.
    3) Nothing on defense has been so glaring a need (since Berry was productive) than a true passrushing threat. With Schoefield on one side and Miller on the other, we may have finally addressed that.
    4) Our new DC Horton has promised to be aggressive and attack. To do that, you need players that fit the scheme. Miller is a true-pin-your-ears-back passrusher.
    5) reminds me of Derrick Thomas. Calm down, I’m not saying he is the next Derrick Thomas, I’m saying he has a lot of the same traits. Explosive player who can make a big play when needed.

Are their other needs? Yes.
    But we can address QB in free agency and later in the draft. I pushed QB early on, but as things came out about Mallet off the field, Gabbert and Newton running spread offenses, and the inconsistancy of Jake Locker, Christian Ponder looks better as a round 2 guy. His injuries are his only red flag, making him worth the risk for the 2nd.

84. By harlanlee on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

Hey, Darren,

I watched virtually every minute of the combine coverage by the NFL channel. Many of the NFL coaches and their coordinators were visible during the workouts. Except for John Lott, who did a fantastic job in the weight room, I never saw any of the Cardinal coaches when the camera panned the coaching staffs in the stadium. Can we assume Whiz and his group were busy behind the scenes, working on possible trade deals or checking out the free agency situation? Just curious.

85. By Mike Ellingboe on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

@John the draft guy,

Not saying you’re wrong about Miller, if we draft him I really hope you and everyone else is right. But as good of a fit as he sounds there are still some concerns. Like most college teams, as their dominant pass rusher he was really only asked to terrorize the QB, at the pro level he’ll be required to do a lot more. Watching him on film it’s very easy to see his burst around the edge but at 240 lbs will he be effective if forced to bull rush? Because of the way A&M used him he tends to get trapped upfield on rush plays pretty frequently and he’s largely an unknown in pass coverage. There’s a lot to like but as with everyone else, many unknowns as well.

Before writing off Gabbert as a spread offense QB, remember that Bradford lined up in the gun at Oklahoma on a regular basis – for that matter, as pro teams go, so do we.

86. By Daniel Christensen on Mar 2, 2011 | Reply

Darren

Whats your opnion about the QB situation?, Should they Draft one or Sign a veteran?

87. By Darren Urban on Mar 2, 2011 | Reply

Halanlee –

RE: Coaches at combine

Trust me, they were there. Not sure what workouts you saw or where the cameras were, but they were watching.

88. By Darren Urban on Mar 2, 2011 | Reply

Daniel –

RE: QB

Depends on what veteran they can get. If they trade for a guy they want to be their starter long-term (i.e., Kolb), then fine. But if they are signing a last-legs vet (i.e. Bulger), I think they should do both.