Tags, tenders like normal

Posted by Darren Urban on March 1, 2011 – 10:36 am

Both general manager Rod Graves and coach Ken Whisenhunt have said more than a few times they are going through this offseason as if there will not be a work stoppage, so they will be ready by the end of this week when the league year officially ends late Thursday night. That’s why the Cardinals — and every other team — were considering use of the franchise tags even though with labor uncertainty no one knows if they will matter on the other side (The Cardinals, as expected, didn’t use the franchise tag).

The same goes for restricted free-agent tender offers, which teams are using — as usual — at this time with free agency still schedule to arrive. The Cardinals are no different, apparently. Wide receiver Steve Breaston confirmed an ESPN report he has been extended a tender offer, and I would assume the Cards are doing that for a handful of guys who potentially could qualify as restricted free agents. Again, it’s housekeeping in a way, since everyone is in limbo until a new CBA is reached.

– XTRA’s Mike Jurecki is reporting safety Adrian Wilson has had surgery for a torn abductor muscle (in the hip area) with which he had been playing. No word yet on the length of rehab, but I’d assume he’d be ready for the season.

– If you’re looking for an aggregate site of stories on the labor talks, nfllabor.com has a bunch of info as we head deeper into the offseason of unknowns.

Tags: , , , ,

38 Responses to “Tags, tenders like normal”

1. By Rich on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

Which of the following are “restricted” free agents (can be offered a tender):
    Branch
    Lutui
    Sendlein
    Watson

Thanks!

2. By Darren Urban on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

Rich —

RE: RFAs

Well, we don’t know exactly who will be FAs. I would think teams would hedge their bets and still tender 4- and 5-year guys in case last year’s rules end up being the new rules. But again, no one knows.

3. By John the draft guy on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

Why are so many of the franchised players signing their tender so fast?
    It seems as soon as they are tagged, they sign. Never seen that in past years. Is there a reason behind it with CBA?

4. By ross on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

HIGHTOWER should be number one priority. Right Darren?

5. By joe holst on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

All but Gabe Watson can be offered tender.. Just because a guy played hurt doesn’t mean he will come back and play better, such as Wilson, it mostly means he is aging and past his prime..

6. By Big Al on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

This statement confuses me; “…they are going through this offseason as if there will not be a work stoppage.” With a good QB being our main weakness and most pressing need, wouldn’t a potential delay in accessing FA QBs impact how we go about drafting? Doesn’t it increase the need to look and potentially pick a higher round QB in the draft. We know Skelton is improving, but I don’t expect Whisenhunt to go with the glass half full philosophy this year given the results this past season. What are your thoughts?

7. By Darren Urban on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

John the draft guy —

RE: Franchise tags

Yes. In a year where there is so much uncertainty about free agency, the player is now guaranteed a large chunk of money for 2011.

8. By Darren Urban on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

Ross —

RE: Hightower

Whatever you say.

9. By Darren Urban on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

Joe Holst —

RE: Watson

Actually, I don’t think that would be true. Watson has played five seasons, and, for example, if the 2010 rules were applied, he would still be a restricted free agent.

10. By Darren Urban on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

Big Al —

RE: QB with work stoppage

They have insisted — more than a few times — a work stoppage will not affect whether/when they draft a quarterback. If they take one first, it’s because they would have taken one first, and not because they are afraid of not getting one elsewhere.

11. By R Robles on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren whats the main issue why an agreement cant be met? CBA or im assuming issues?

12. By Darren Urban on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

R Robles —

RE: Main issue

It’s about money, mostly. The sides must agree on the percentage of money the players will receive. The players want to keep it status quo. The owners, in this slowing economy, are worried about the future if they don’t lower the percentage.

13. By D on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

Need to find your link about this CBA confusion. If both sides are splitting billions of dollars, and the teams pay the players the salaries, where does all this money go on the player’s side? Unions sitting on huge pile of money, clearly there should be a lot of money sitting around for player’s benefits.

14. By cardsfan007 on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren

this is random but can you get me Beanie Wells xbox live name? If you get it for me just send it to my email. Thanks for all you do Darren Urban

15. By Darren Urban on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

D —

RE: Labor info

You can check out nfllabor.com or just google around. Profootballtalk.com did a good primer a little while ago too breaking down the issues.

16. By Darren Urban on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

cardsfan007 —

RE: Beanie video games

Don’t know if I can track that down until he comes back to town and to the facility — which could be a while.

17. By Big Al on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

RE: QB with work stoppage

Thanks for that response, Darren. Hope you don’t mind if I take the fact that they have insisted more than once that the work stoppage wont affect whether/when they pick a QB as confirmation that it will in fact it will in fact affect the timing/priority. Much like poker, why show your hand or telegraph your moves and give your opponents leverage to use against you come draft time. Sometimes understanding organization announcements is like understanding my wife. You have to hear what they are thinking, not what they are saying.

18. By RelayTV on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

I agree with Big Al,

This off-season is not “NORMAL” so I am worried that Whiz and Company are plowing ahead as if it was.

The labor unrest has affected EVERYTHING so far, and I think a proactive team would be making contingency plans.

Do we really think someone like Bellichick is plodding along like it’s business as usual?

Coach Whiz refused to alter his playbook despite the fact that Warner was no longer our QB, now it seems like he is taking the same stubborn outlook into the off season.

Once again, while other teams change and adapt, ours keeps pretending it’s still 2008.

19. By Darren Urban on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

Big Al —

RE: QB draft

Could be.

Or they are just trying to warn fans they might not take one in the first round so everyone gets it, even if the offseason gets so delayed it’s impossible to get another FA QB.

20. By Darren Urban on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

RelayTV —

RE: Contingency plans

Whoa. Time out. The Cards have contingency plans. They have said as much.

That said, what else are they going to say right now? Besides, look around the league and the comments from other teams. Every coach/GM is saying the same types of things.

21. By cardsfan007 on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

If there is a new CBA, and there is offseason, i probably will ask again, on a future blog than when he is at the facility.

Once again thank you!

22. By CJ on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

what good potential free agent LB’s out there that u think the cards could go after?

23. By Big Al on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

……..
    Yep, I guess thats a possibility too. Hey, I never say I was good at understanding my wife. I did read the following quote in ESPN from Graves.., “Without a hard plan in place, they must, in the words of Arizona general manager Rod Graves, “approach the draft as if that’s the only thing we have to focus on.”

That still gives no clue whether the organization thinks Skelton has progressed sufficiently to ignore QB needs high in the draft. I personally think a QB will still be available with the 37th pick (Ponder, Locker, Kaepernick, Mallert, even Dalton)

24. By spence on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

With Carson Palmer demanding a trade… what do you think the chances are that we go after him instead of a rookie QB?

25. By drummer-1 on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Do you think whiz should get fired and let Relay TV coach the team since he know more about what the team needs to do to win then Ken W. that guy bugs me…

26. By Phoenixraven1 on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

D what’s your opinion on the Carson Palmer situation? Do you see us having any interest in him?

27. By Darren Urban on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

CJ —

RE: FA LBs

We will have to see. Two guys they likely would have looked at as pass rushers — Woodley and Wembley — were franchised.

28. By Darren Urban on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

Spence, PhoenixRaven —

RE: Palmer

I would think they would consider Palmer. The problem, again, is that you don’t know when that trade would be available to make.

29. By AndyStandsUp on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

Palmer isn’t going anywhere.

Welcome to the fluid, rumor-filled NFL off season.

30. By KingJM on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

Ive heard something about the cardinals releasing DA. Is this true?

31. By R Robles on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

Thanks Darren ya I hear you I figured I just wondering why its taking so long to get it done shoulda had a foundation atleast I hope everything goes well because I cant wait for the new season. I wanna see Von Miller I hope as a Cardinal I wanna see 2 vet QB’s on hand with Skelton learning & possible leading us into the future Fitz & the rest of the Cards resigned man I cant wait

32. By RelayTV on Mar 2, 2011 | Reply

Drummer1-

1.) I don’t care if I bug you.

2.) I don’t want Whiz to get fired.

3.) I don’t want to coach the Cardinals. (I am very happy in my chosen profession, thanks.)

4.) I just want Whiz to fix our QB situation!

I backed Whiz when he cut Leinart, passed on McNabb and missed out on Whitehurst, and as much as I hoped it would work, it was a disaster.

All season the line was “We’re not going to change the gameplan” and “We’ve had success in the past.”

That got us 5-11.

Now I’m hearing “If they take one first, it’s because they would have taken one first, and not because they are afraid of not getting one elsewhere.”

They don’t need to be AFRAID, but they need to be prepared.

What if there is no free agency/trades this season? What if the draft is the ONLY chance to get another QB?

Every other decision the team has to make this off season pales in comparison to what they do about finding a franchise QB. And I’m not sure one even exists in this years draft.

In a perfect world, I’d like Whiz, Graves, whoever to say something like, “We’re prepared no matter what happens with the CBA, and we will do whatever it takes to find our next franchise QB.”

Kind of like Atlanta did after their team imploded in 2007:

33. By Darren Urban on Mar 2, 2011 | Reply

KingJM —

RE: Anderson release

I will not be shocked if DA is cut before the season. But I’d guess nothing will happen with the roster until the CBA is figured out.

34. By drummer-1 on Mar 2, 2011 | Reply

@Relay TV..

You just want Whiz to fix the QB situation.. so tell me how is he suppose to do that at this point, when no team is allowed to talk or sign future FA…Just because he isn’t saying what you want him to say you think he’s not trying to repair the QB situation, I think Skelton will be just fine..there’s your fix.

35. By cardsfan12 on Mar 2, 2011 | Reply