Fitz talks quarterbacks

Posted by Darren Urban on March 3, 2011 – 10:47 am

Larry Fitzgerald is down in Orlando taking part in “ESPN the Weekend” — it’s good to be an athletic superstar — and did the rounds on a pair of ESPN radio shows, “Mike & Mike in the Morning” and “The Herd.” And he talked a little bit about the Cardinals’ quarterback situation on both shows:

“I don’t know what direction that’s going to go yet,” Fitzgerald said on Mike & Mike. “I know we weren’t happy with the way last season went at 5-11 and we need to be better.” Later he once again deflected the talk about reports the team talked to him about his thoughts about quarterback. Later, Colin Cowherd asked him what he thought was better: Getting a veteran quarterback, or taking a QB high in the draft and have him play right away.

“You can see it on both sides,” Fitzgerald said. “You see veteran guys having success, and then you see the Matt Ryans and guys like that who come right in, Mark Sanchez, guys who can do it. I’m just about winning. We want to have success, and I know my coaches and teammates feel the same way. Whatever the way it is, I am for it.”

Clearly, though, Fitzgerald isn’t going to downplay the need. That was clear when Kurt Warner was brought up. “(Kurt) was the most important person on the team,” Fitzgerald said. “You can’t drive a car without a steering wheel.”

As for the potential work stoppage, Fitzgerald said he thought he’d still get together with some teammates, mentioning the players-only camp he usually holds in Minnesota late every offseason.

“We know the offense, we know our system, so we can run it together,” Fitzgerald said. “Just like we are out there running seven-on-seven without the coaches. We know the plays. We know the calls.”

Tags:

54 Responses to “Fitz talks quarterbacks”

1. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Mar 3, 2011 | Reply

The Derek Anderson model steering wheel was a poor choice by team driver Ken Whisenhunt last season.

2. By Jesse Robles on Mar 3, 2011 | Reply

Just unsure where Fitz wants the Cards to MAKE a franchise QB out of nowhere. It is all Luck to actually get a franchise QB. If he want’s to leave because the Cardinals can’t pull a Franchise QB out of thin air, so be it. I want him here his whole career, but Kolb is as much as a gamble as any draft pick. Orton, or Palmer are the best bets. Even Bulger is a flip of a coin. Just be reasonable.

3. By MTM on Mar 3, 2011 | Reply

Anderson was like one of those lowrider chain steering wheels. It’s ok in a pinch and if it’s the only thing laying around when the old one is replaced than it’ll do short term, but it lacks the power, adaptability and every other aspect required in a good steering wheel. It’s mostly for show and even then most people are gonna hate it!

4. By carlo7000 on Mar 3, 2011 | Reply

darren
    what do you think about abot president obama ‘comment on cba
    he said””I’m a big football fan. For an industry making $9 billion, I’d hope they can figure out how to divide it up in a sensible way. … I hope they can come to an agreement without me having to intervene.”
    l

5. By John the draft guy on Mar 3, 2011 | Reply

I don’t think Fitz is saying he wants Whiz to pull a Franchise QB out of thin air. What I hear him saying is we need one. I never heard him say get one or I’m leaving, Instead he said his coaches are about winning ( not the Charlie Sheen kind… Still winning),
    I think what is reasonable is doing your due diligence as a coach and look at the best option for your team.

My opinion of what is best is draft a QB and sign a vet. My preferences would be sign Bulger, mainly because he can make all the throws this offense requires, has experience running an offense like ours in St Louis, and is a very accurate passer. How many times did we miss wide open wrs last year?

Then I like drafting a QB in the 2nd round like Christian Ponder or trading up into the first to get Ryan Mallot. Mallet had a comp % of 68% last year, and wasn’t just dink and dunking. He has a huge arm and lots of upside, but does have some red flags. Ponder has injury issues but is a leader with a solid arm and accurate hitting the seams. Maybe Skelton can do it. But before you pass on drafting a QB, you better be sure.

6. By MikeG on Mar 3, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren–Nice little article on Fitz. I really thought the Cardinal coaching staff did their first poor job coaching last year. In their 4 years here – they have overall done a very good job and deserve a pass for last year. I believe they thought they could still win in calling the same plays they did under Kurt Warner. I truly believed that they should have ran the ball a lot more. When they changed their offensive line–bringing in Faneca and changing the tackle position–I really thought we were going to be more of a power running team. The coaches have to take some heat for last year–I think we have a good staff and we will respond. We need a good draft this year. What do you think of Matt Ryan???– I’m not totally sold on him–I thought he was exposed against the Packers –when the game is on his shoulders he has come up short!!!! Turner is the offense of Atlanta.

7. By Darren Urban on Mar 3, 2011 | Reply

Carlo —

RE: The President

I think he sounds like hundreds of thousands of other football fans. Except, you know, the part about intervening.

8. By Darren Urban on Mar 3, 2011 | Reply

MikeG —

RE: Ryan

I think he is a solid QB. I don’t think he is elite.

9. By MikeG on Mar 3, 2011 | Reply

I agree Darren– I always thought Ryan and Flacco were over-rated–good QB’S but certainly not elite. They have solid running games and still have not proven they can win crunch time when the game is on their shoulders. Right now for the Card’s it is all about the draft–they have proven to be good in this area over the last 4 years. The only mistake was Cody Brown–but those things happen once in awhile. We need our first 2 picks to have an impact for the 2011 season!!!

10. By D on Mar 3, 2011 | Reply

Tim Hasselback not a fan of M. Bulger

11. By John the draft guy on Mar 3, 2011 | Reply

Come on guys about Whiz taking Anderson.
    I, for one, thought Anderson could be serviceable in a Trent Dilfer-like way, with a solid running game and tough defense. I think that was Whiz’s mindset also.
    Problem was, our defense was bad against the run and worse against the pass. They never showed up and cost the DC’s job.
    Our running game was non-existent also. Whether to blame Whiz’s play calling or players not performing, either way, it didn’t get done.
    So, when Anderson was asked to do more, he was exposed as a BAD QB.

I’m not saying in any way, shape, or form, Anderson is not to blame for his poor performance. He was bad. But, When looking back, I dont fault Whiz. Bradford went #1. Clausen was bad, Colt McCoy is a west coast QB, and Tebow has the heart of a champ but jury is still out. Free agents and trades people yelled for were McNabb, Brady Quinn, Jeff Garcia? We would still be in the same place.
    Think about it, If Manning retired last year from the Colts, I think they would have been scrambling also. They, also, would have looked at Anderson. There really wasn’t an answer to turn to last year. Judge Whiz this year, I believe he has options this year to fix the problem.

12. By John the draft guy on Mar 3, 2011 | Reply

Hey D
    Surely you mean Matt Hasselback, we already tried Tim a few years ago.

13. By D on Mar 3, 2011 | Reply

D
    Please let us know if you think this order is accurate:
    Importance of filling positions in draft:

Round 1: Pass rusher
    Round 2: Inside LB
    Round 3: QB
    Round 4: OL
    Round 5: CB
    thanks

14. By Darren Urban on Mar 3, 2011 | Reply

D —

RE: Importance of positions

Here’s the problem I have — until we know when FA/trades can happen, and if they happen before the draft, it’s impossible to make this list.

My list of positions needed in order of importance are 1) QB 2) QB 3) pass rusher 4) QB 5) LB 6) OL.

But that can change. Could they use a CB? Sure. But they need a pass rusher much more, IMO. And without a QB, the rest of this is very hard. Does that mean you have to draft a QB first? No. But it’s tough to say “importance of filling positions in the draft.” It’s much more complicated than that.

15. By edwin on Mar 3, 2011 | Reply

given all the changes that the cardinals have gone trough since kurt retired, what do you see the front office being more concerned with in the draft? fixing a mediocre defense and turning it around with horton as the new DC or an offense that had no real quarterback?

Because to me it makes no sense to draft a qd with the 5th overall pick when trying to change the style of the defense. i would also think that wisenhunt wouldnt start a rookie QB for the beginning of the season and much less the whole season, like he didnt last year. taking into account there is a Football Season.

16. By Darren Urban on Mar 3, 2011 | Reply

Edwin —

RE: QB vs D

All fair points.

17. By Jesse Robles on Mar 3, 2011 | Reply

John the “draft” guy:
    Obviously you are only reffering to this article, because you are right he didn’t say any of that in this paticular article, but has said he wants to win just like we all want to win. If you think Ponder or Mallet are Franchise Qb’s at this point you are crazy. Yes we do need a franchise QB, and fitz wants a QB that can throw like Kurt, good luck with that. If you read something besides this website you would understand where I am coming from. I am basically saying they don’t come every day.

18. By cdpugh on Mar 3, 2011 | Reply

The playoffs are littered with 1st round QBs: Manning, Sanchez, Big Ben, Rodgers, Flacco, Ryan (Brees was 1st pick in 2nd round). You’re not going to find a Brady in the late rounds very often. it’s a mistake to think you can.

19. By Chuck 1 on Mar 3, 2011 | Reply

Regarding Obama’a comment, it sounds to me a lot like what he said during his campaign: “SPREAD THE WEALTH”.

20. By Eazy E on Mar 3, 2011 | Reply

Matt Ryan is right on the cusp of elite and way better than a solid qb. They have good running games but they were rookies and they have developed(talking about Ryan and Flacco). With more being put on their shoulders, they have taken advantage and done well with it, Ryan was in the pro bowl, that is way better than solid. Flacco is also on the cusp and both qbs dwarf ours right now anyway.

21. By former AZ.resident on Mar 3, 2011 | Reply

Darren how many times does an elite cornerback come around in the 1st round in the draft vrs a passrusher? Wouldn’t it be better to get the one that doesn’t come around to often first?

22. By Darren Urban on Mar 3, 2011 | Reply

former Az —

RE: Pass rusher vs CB

Show me an elite CB without enough pass rush and I will show you a CB who may look good, but not elite.

Show me a good CB with a good pass rush, and I’ll show you a CB who can play elite. For all of DRC’s faults, how do you think he’d look in Pitt or GB’s secondary?

23. By D on Mar 3, 2011 | Reply

so, if I read between the lines, you maybe worried about the qb position..ha ha
    No free agency before the draft will make this draft very important…if you don’t have a franchise QB, then load up on defense…worked for the Ravens…

24. By Jesse Robles on Mar 3, 2011 | Reply

Tell all of your owners of the businesses you work for to spread the wealth to the employees, wont work out very well.

25. By former AZ.resident on Mar 3, 2011 | Reply

Whoa I didn’t say anything about DRC I was trying to say when does a corner back like peterson come around vrs passrushers that are always in the top 10 in the 1st round in the past few years come around? Sorry should have said it that way.

26. By Darren Urban on Mar 3, 2011 | Reply

formerAz —

RE: CB vs pass rusher

No, I understood the point you were making. But I’m not sure of the logic. Most of the time there aren’t CBs drafted that high in large part because the position isn’t as important as a pass rusher.

My point is that, if you have a good enough pass rush, you can make CBs work. Let’s say they get Peterson to go with DRC but don’t get an impact pass rusher. Where is the defense? I still think they’re hurting, moreso than if you add a pass rusher like Miller, for example.

27. By Big Red on Mar 3, 2011 | Reply

It seems to everybody that the end is near. I’m not worrying about the coming season. Have Faith in the Big Boy John Skelton.

28. By CZarr on Mar 3, 2011 | Reply

Alright, well, its obvious we need to use the first pick on a CB that can play QB, and also play as a down lineman. He’d probably be about 6’4″ and 265 with a 40 time of sub 4.45. We could line him up at halfback too!

29. By Michael on Mar 3, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren, why is it some teams have re signed some of their main guys and the cards do Nothing!

30. By NJAZCardsFan on Mar 3, 2011 | Reply

Let’s cut to the quick….. Disaster Always(DA) was a complete and utter failure. I can’t believe they haven’t released him yet. The Cards should go with a veteran NFL QB. Kolb, Orton or Palmer would be a decent choice. It doesn’t seem like McNabb is going to be released by the Redskins. Palmer needs a new home. He may be a sleeper QB as the ESPN analyst have written him off. Wiht the Cards receiver corps he may end up being alot better here than in Cincy.
    I hope the Cards get Von Miller in the first round.
    Skeleton deserves a chance and I hope he gets it.

31. By Marcelo on Mar 3, 2011 | Reply

It’s quite Early to ask such a Question, but wouldn’t Bulger be a nice shot of Arizona’s decisions?!

He’s got the ability, experienced ofensive player. Come on, I believe signing Kolb would be another tough step like last year’s. I can’t tell Kolb from Anderson. Bulger looks more consistent and smart. In order to be a kickin` ass sportist you need at first be inteligent. Being famous doesn’t give you the ability to play good.

Skelton as a back up he`s got a brilliant future but by now, Arizona needs a LB, more specificaly, Von Miller and a Veteran QB. I haven’t been watching football for very long, but what I can tell for sure is that, thinking faster gives you the opportunity to perform better plays.

32. By tyman on Mar 3, 2011 | Reply

I think the best bet for the draft is to trade back if we can get some good offers from crazy trade teams like dallas. Most mock drafts show a lot of tallent falling to the 5th pick, so it might be prime trade bate. Fall back to 10 or so if you want to draft a qb as well. All the experts are saying no QB is in the Sam Bradford sure thing area, so why pass up tallent for a roll of the dice. If there is tallent take the tallent Graves, Whiz, and Mr.Bidwell. It is perty scarey how few really good Qb’s are out there for trades or FA’s. You guys have a tough job!!!!

33. By John the draft guy on Mar 4, 2011 | Reply

Jesse,

Are you saying other websites have Fitz saying he wants out if he doesnt get a franchise QB ? . Does he want to win? I hope so. Thats why you play the game. Do we need a QB? Of course. Can we find one this year? absolutely.

You need to keep in mind that Kurt was a washed up QB who was cut by 2 teams and was signed as a backup. How do you think Fitz felt about that signing. You know how many so called experts on websites laughed about that move.

I guess you read a website that told you Mallott and Ponder are not franchise QB’s? Is that the same website that said the year Aaron Rodgers was drafted there was no franchise QBs? Maybe its the one that said Jamarcus Russell is the best thing since sliced bread. Or the one that had Jimmy Clausen in the top 10 last year. Remember how many blogs praised the 2006 QB draft of Young, Leinart, and Cutler? Leinart cut, young will be soon, and Cutler traded away. Don’t believe everything you read.
    Have you watched Mallott play? I watched most of his games the last 2 years and I see a guy who became much more accurate this year, he can throw the deep ball on target and has fire to win and leadership qualities. He looks like a guy who can be a franchise guy to me. He does have off the field red flags. Ponder is a guy with first round talent who has battled injuries. Tell me you at least watched him in the senior bowl.
    The cards have a tough job weeding through the free agents to be and rookies and finding that guy. But it can be done.

34. By clssylssy on Mar 4, 2011 | Reply

In agreement with Big Red. I think John Skelton has been judged unfairly and based on what he had to work with last season did a pretty good job. I would like to see us bring in a veteran, only because of the experience and wisdom factor, but, don’t see anyone that really gets my heart pumping. I think if we could build around Skelton with a veteran pass rusher and a good OC, we have a lot of talent that could get’r’done. As usual Larry Fitzgerald is a class act and conducted himself like the elite professional we all appreciate. Gotta love his attitude in the face of this
    possible lockout. Fans should get behind the players and realize how much they put on the line for us while making the owners rich. High fives to Fitz and the rest of the team including the coaches!

35. By Keith on Mar 4, 2011 | Reply

Think the Cards should get Bulger or try for Alex Smith as FA’s. Also, there will be decent TE free agents…one should be attained throught that route.
    God willing, should get Von miller in the 1st round, upgrade the LB’s immediately with someone that could be an all-pro for years to come. Peterson could definitely help us, but Toler isn’t a bad CB. How much stronger do you make your defense with Miller vs Peterson?
    Second round whould be a QB like Ponder, Dalton or McElroy. I lean towards McElroy….he’s smart (48 of 50 on wonderlick), has great stats in college and being mostly ignored by the media. He’ll have something to prove. Don’t know if these QB’s will be tere come the third round.
    Third round could be a DE, LB, OT or WR. The best available player…probably DE.

Depends on the draft too, If a really great prospect falls into the second round you may have to take him instead of a QB. Never know how things will fall.

36. By 949Cardsfan on Mar 4, 2011 | Reply

Swapping ones with Philly and giving them our number 2 pick should be plenty (if not to much) to bring Kolb to the valley. There’s plenty of DE/pass rush depth in this draft to fill our two most pressing needs. Pass rush and QB. We can get a a pass rusher late in the first and we have Kolb to show for our number 2 pick. What do u think Darren?

37. By Darren Urban on Mar 4, 2011 | Reply

949Cards —

RE: Kolb trade

Given how late Philly is drafting, I’m not sure I do that deal.

And, of course, you are assuming we have a new CBA before the draft.

38. By Jesse Robles on Mar 4, 2011 | Reply

Someone get JOHN THE DRAFT GUY A JOB!! Darren Watch out!! It is all opinion genious. Yours and mine don’t count. It sounds like you are the only one who believes hype, becasuse RUSSELL WAS HORRIBLE IN COLLEGE! What did Ponder or Mallett do in College? Nothing. People get better by studying or learning from other great QB’s, Like I said a Million times, IT IS ALL LUCK to get a Franchise QB. I guess we should ask JOHN THE DRAFT GUY WHO WILL BE GOOD AND WHO WONT!! Let JOHN THE DRAFT GUY PICK OUR DRAFT PLEASE!! We got our own John Clayton over here! Your crazy if you pick any of these Sub par QB’s in the First Rd, over all of these dominant Defensive players. MALLETT the dope head, and wanna be thug? Great Pick!! Glad you are picking all of your players that just performed ok in the Senior Bowl and Combine, get real dude.

39. By Eazy E on Mar 4, 2011 | Reply

It really all depends on free agency. If we would go out and get asomugha, I’d say whatever get von, but I don’t know if we’ll do that smh. Asomugha and DRC with A-Wil and Kerry in the secondary is nice or Peterson and DRC with A-Wil and Kerry is nice. Wimbley and Woodley were both tagged with that franchise tag unfortunately, but we’ll find that pass rush because there will still be great pass rushers available in free agency and the draft. All that being said Peterson may be too good to pass up with his skill set, but I like von and I like cam, so we’ll see.

40. By Eazy E on Mar 4, 2011 | Reply

949cards-

That is a horrible trade, way too much. They get our fifth overall pick along with our 2nd pick and we get a way lower pick in the first and a jury is still out on him kolb, he’s had some good games and some bad ones, no way!!

41. By Scott H on Mar 4, 2011 | Reply

John the draft guy –

Say what you want about Anderson. But IMHO, he didn’t become a “BAD QB” when he was asked to do “more” here and got exposed. As far as I’m concerned, he spent several years being a BAD QB in Cleveland before he ever became a Cardinal. I said that before we ever signed him. Not that means I’m a genius with a crystal ball, but…I just patently disagree with the sentiment that he was a “serviceable” QB who could have done OK here if everything else around him held up. In my opinion, he was a bad QB the day he walked in the door and he lived up to that expectation on a weekly basis.

42. By DoblerFan on Mar 4, 2011 | Reply

No way should we trade for Kolb. Too expensive (draft picks and the new long term contract gamble) and doesn’t even fit our offense. Orton is also too expensive ($) unless released. A 1st round QB pick is too expensive and wont be ready to help next year. All we can do (of course if the CBA gets taken care of) is pick up 1 or 2 vets. Hopefully that will work out or Fitz is gone after next year and there is nothing we can do about it. On a positive note, Football Rules!

43. By Alex on Mar 4, 2011 | Reply

How about Dalton? He was a reliable guy all through out college and took TCU to heights it had never been before.

44. By tyman on Mar 4, 2011 | Reply

Mcnabb lives and trains in AZ, hes the perfect guy to get us back on track. I bet Mcnabb and fitz would hit it off great.

45. By redseafan85 on Mar 5, 2011 | Reply

yes darren i agree we should draft von miller at number 5

46. By John the draft guy on Mar 5, 2011 | Reply

Scott,
    I agree Anderson was chased out of Cleveland. He left as a mess. But Cleveland was a mess.
    Remember, Anderson made the probowl when he had Winslow and Edwards to throw to. That whole team fell apart.
    So, we had a guy with the talent to make the probowl, lost his weapons, coaching staff was a mess, and chased out of town.

So ,I think the wisdom was, There really were no choices in the draft or free agency besides Anderson. So, bring him in with the weapons we have, run the ball, play good defense and he could manage the team.
    It obviously didn’t work. Anderson was horribly inaccurate. It cost us a season .
    The point was, Whiz was left with limited options after Warner retired, Anderson made sense at the time, yet it painfully failed and brought me back to Sun Devil Stadium and the days we had no QB.

I think if you go back to this board last year before the season, there were a lot of Anderson fans. I think most fans were surprised at how bad Anderson played.

47. By John the draft guy on Mar 5, 2011 | Reply

Jesse
    First, let me say you are entitled to you opinion. Sorry, I offended you so much.But look what you said.

“IT IS ALL LUCK to get a Franchise QB.”

OK, so why do workouts and combines? Why watch hours of tape. Maybe GMs should just throw darts at a board.

“People get better by studying or learning from other great QB’s,”
    Who did Big Ben play behind, or Matt Ryan, or Sam Bradford or Peyton Manning, Troy Aikman, or Dan Marino or…. you get the picture.
    Its ideal to learn from a vet who could show you how to prepare and study but that doesn’t always work. Rumor is McNabb wouldn’t help Kolb at all.

Never said use our first pick on a QB. Not sure where you got that. I am a huge Von Miller fan and have said that for a while now. I said use our 2nd or trade our 2nd and another pick to go back into the first round late.

Not a fan of the potheads. Mainly why I said interviews are so important for Mallett. But lets be real. A college kid smoked pot. The world is ending. I guess you would have passed on Warren Sapp who smoked pot at the combine. Randy Moss would have been passed over by you also. Give me a break.

Pick all the senior bowl guys? I said I watched Mallott for 2 years at Arkansas. All I asked is for you to at least watch a game of the players you are saying can’t play.

48. By Scott H on Mar 6, 2011 | Reply

John the draft guy –

I’m not sure that I remember there being “a lot” of Anderson fans, but none of that matters at this point. We’re movin’ on and that’s a good thing! I have to agree with you that the Cardinals had limited options last off-season in regard to veteran QB’s. It can’t remember any other QB’s they could have had that went somewhere else and played well. But I will maintain that Derek Anderson is just a bad QB, period. It is clear ( to me, that is ) that that one good year he had in Cleveland was a mirage. Braylon Edwards remained there in Cleveland for the next few years, so it’s not like they took all his weapons away. Good QB’s don’t just succeed when everything around them goes well. Sometimes, good QB’s have to step up and carry a team when things around them don’t go well. By this definition – which I don’t think is unreasonable – Derek Anderson is NOT a good QB. And BTW, Derek Anderson was NOT chased out of Cleveland – he PLAYED his way out of Cleveland. He had ample opportunity to prove himself. And what he proved is that he just isn’t very good. At the time the Browns let him go, they probably had the worst QB situation in the NFL. And they said no thanks to another year of Anderson.

Fortunately for all of us ( Larry Fitzgerald included ), the Derek Anderson experiment in Arizona is over. In summing it all up, I cite the wisdom of the immortal Dennis Green in saying – He is what we thought he was!

49. By John on Mar 6, 2011 | Reply

50. By John on Mar 6, 2011 | Reply

GO Cardinals!

51. By Tyler Hernandez on Mar 6, 2011 | Reply

i think we should stick with skelton and pick up bulger who plays alot like kurt

52. By Jesse Robles on Mar 7, 2011 | Reply

John the Draft guy:
    You obviously have no idea what I am talking about, Luck as in no one knew these guys would pan out. Luck like no one knew Big Ben was going to be Big Ben or Tom Brady was going to be Tom Brady. Ryan Leaf was a bust, Your Boy Russell who was made a bust by the Raiders making him a Number 1 Pick when he wasn’t. Im saying Payton, Aikmen, Marino are Luck because You have to be the Worst Team to get a #1 Pick like that, like the Rams. Luck like the Panthers have none, because Andrew Luck is going back to school, and they almost had a FRANCHISE QB! Luck as in there aren’t really any Proven Franchise QB’s in free Agency. Open your mind some, with your narrow view points. Its called proof Reading before you post too.

53. By what did you call me? on Mar 7, 2011 | Reply

Darren-

I have an idea for how the cardinals could draft. only for the first two rounds.
    1st round):Von miller or prince Amukumura (or something idk)
    2nd round): Andy dalton or greg mcellroy (suggesting that cam newton,mallet, and locker are gone.) what do you think of that?

54. By Darren Urban on Mar 7, 2011 | Reply

What did —

RE: Second round

I’m think that might be high for Dalton or McElroy.