Cards freeze season ticket prices

Posted by Darren Urban on March 10, 2011 – 3:12 pm

Taken directly from today’s video QnA with Michael Bidwill, for those wondering about season ticket renewals with the current labor uncertainty (those who have had tickets should be getting their information via mail):

– The Cardinals are freezing season-ticket prices for 2011, except for 3,700 seats in the upper deck — and those seats will actually decrease in price.

– Bidwill said anyone who pays for their 2011 tickets in full by April 15 will be eligible for one of four trips-for-two to this season’s Super Bowl, which is in Indianapolis.

– In the event of a work stoppage forcing games to be missed, ticket holders can choose either to a) credit that money forward to either playoffs or 2012 tickets or b) get the money refunded for any game(s) missed.

– If the ticket holder chooses the former and applies the money forward, the ticket holder will be given a card (Bidwill didn’t announce the dollar amount) that can be used to purchase food and beverage at University of Phoenix Stadium.

Tags: ,

22 Responses to “Cards freeze season ticket prices”

1. By harlanlee on Mar 10, 2011 | Reply

That is good news. Now, open up the purse strings and 1) Make Fitzgerald happy, 2)Spend enough to grab a good qb, 3) Have a great draft — taking the best available with every pick (qbs need not apply until the 3rd or 4th round). Thank you, Mr. Bidwill!!

2. By joe67 on Mar 10, 2011 | Reply

I live way to far away to have season tix (ILL) but sounds to me like the org. is doing alot to apease the fan base down there. We will never be the top payroll in the league, but so what. Who held that distinction last year, and did they win s b??
    If we just stay middle of the pack, have a good draft and use the money wisely on FA’s we should be competitive. If you are competetive you have a chance to make the playoffs, and if you do that who knows.
    You all knew the Bidwills weren’t the wealthiest owners in the league (by far), but didn’t stop you from wanting them down there. I have always thought they are good people, and that is more than we can say for some of the ownership in the league.
    As I have said before, when you are in business, everyone knows better how to spend your money than you do. Obviously, football is no exception.

3. By harlanlee on Mar 10, 2011 | Reply

Re:Joe67 — The highest player payroll in 2010 was Green Bay (according to ESPN’s John Clayton) — and yes, they did win the Super Bowl.

4. By Stevie on Mar 10, 2011 | Reply

Interesting–I was just told by the sales dept that the statements are being mailed out and there is an increase for seat prices and parking upgrade from last year.

5. By Darren Urban on Mar 10, 2011 | Reply

Stevie —

RE: Freeze

Obviously I have read your comment and I am passing it along to figure out what’s what. Thanks for the heads up.

6. By Rich on Mar 10, 2011 | Reply

I just got a call from Cards customer service letting me know my season ticket invoice was in the mail. Very nice on the phone. All good as normal. No complaints. But I asked a simple question, “If the owners aren’t willing to commit, and the players aren’t willing to commit, why are the fans being asked to commit their hard earned money towards season tickets”. Poor girl on the phone had no answer.
    I like the Cards organization, But still trying to decide if we re-up again. A $10 food voucher ain’t gonna do it for me. And another season like last year won’t either. Heck, think of all the golfing I can do on Sundays when I’m not working!
    I hope it works out and we have a legitimate season ahead. But I work hard for my money. We have other options here in the Valley of the Sun.

7. By Andy on Mar 10, 2011 | Reply

Harlanlee,

Not according to these numbers:

8. By Gary J on Mar 10, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren. After watching the video and many others with Michael Bidwill. I come away with really liking him. He seems very honest and straight forward. He generally seems like he really wants our Cards to win and be a proud franchise. I have alot of hope for the future of this franchise because of him. You have been able to talk to him one on one many times. What are your personal thoughts of this man? Is he really what he seems to be? I know I’m kind of putting you under the bus with these questions, but good ownership can make a huge difference in the success of a team.

9. By Darren Urban on Mar 10, 2011 | Reply

Gary J —

RE: Michael Bidwill

I don’t know him that well, to begin with. It’s like many relationships you have with a boss (and, for me, I have a couple of “bosses” in between he and I on the food chain). I think he genuinely wants to win. I think the franchise is in much better shape since he took over. The rest, I suppose, will be left to what results he can get on the field. That will be the ultimate judge in this arena.

10. By Scott H on Mar 10, 2011 | Reply

Hmmmm…anyone suspecting that this is in response to the nose-dive the team took last year after two successful seasons? Not a bad idea. There’s no way they could have raised prices right now, that’s for sure. Hey, whatever the reason, the fans win ( for one more season, anyway ).

11. By georgiebird on Mar 10, 2011 | Reply

Good answer to Gary J.
    The bottom line is results not good intentions. By not be able to raise ticket prices, the Cardinals will have less for player contracts. Some teams are sold out and have also collected Personal Seat Licenses (PSLs) for about $15-25k per seat.
    So not being able to raise ticket prices is not necessarily a good thing-it also gives Michael Bidwill a convenient but valid excuse for not being competitive.
    The Cardinals can be successful with limited revenues, but the margin of error becomes so narrow-bad decisions are hard to overcome.

12. By Pheenic Cromartie on Mar 10, 2011 | Reply

I think the Bidwells are doing a fine job as Owners.

Darren, do you know if the Bidwells are into all the labor negotiations? Or have they laid low?

13. By Roy on Mar 11, 2011 | Reply

I don’t have season tickets but I do pay a few hundred dollars to watch my Cardinals from Illinois. Not only will I cancel the NFL Sunday ticket if there is a lockout, I will guarantee it will be years if/when I ever pick it back up. When are the billionaire owners and millionaire players gonna realize that the average Joe living paycheck to paycheck working their ass of year round is tired of their drama. There will be other things to spend my time and money on if this circus isnt resolved soon. I have a feeling I am not alone. The NFL is playing with fire and they are gonna get burned (like baseball in the 90’s).

14. By Darren Urban on Mar 11, 2011 | Reply

Georgie —

RE: Ticket prices/”excuse”

I get where you are coming from, but market forces are what they are. And while I know you noted it as “valid,” even fans can’t sit there and say they want their cake and eat it too.

15. By Darren Urban on Mar 11, 2011 | Reply

Pheenic —

RE: Owners in labor

The Bidwills (I have to say I am still surprised so many people spell it wrong) aren’t necessarily at the forefront but I am sure they are making their voice heard on their side.

16. By Sackman on Mar 11, 2011 | Reply

OK! It’s time for us fans to strike. They make their money from us. They need to consider us fans too. Lets not buy season tickets until they reach an agreement. What would happen then? Interesting!

17. By tyman on Mar 11, 2011 | Reply

I think its a good thing. We have so many negitive fans in arizona, so we better keep the prices low for them. A lot of fans think this will work, this wont with players and coaches. I say lets wait and see. We have a ton of tallented young players on defence and if we can get the QB situation delt with, we might just surprise a lot of people and nagitive card fans. Keep up the good job whiz graves and all the assistant coaches.

18. By Eric Saliba on Mar 12, 2011 | Reply

Obviously not directed towards you, but I agree with Roy. I also carry the NFL Sunday ticket. I also know at least 20 other people who have it. If this is not resolved and there is a strike this year I can honestly say.. 20 out of 20 people that I know are prepared to cancel the NFL Sunday ticket. Can you just imagine the domino effect that us fans can have on the economics of the NFL. This non sense has to stop. No apparel sales, no internet subscriptions( field pass, etc),
    I’m all for people being able to care for themselves and their families but when is enough, enough really? I also would like to say, YOU do an excellent job with this forum and I ( as a fan) appreciate all the consistent updates. I vote for YOU to get a raise!! Thanks for hearing me out.
    Just another frustrated Fan,
    Eric

19. By johnnybluenose on Mar 13, 2011 | Reply

from what i have read, the last offer the owners made seems pretty reasonable. no increase in the number of games for at least the next two years, a good chunk of money to the players’ pension fund and the players still get to be paid quite well, even the rookies although they will be capped for a year or two. what’s wrong with that? should players who have never played a minute in the league be paid more and sometimes significantly more than a player who has started in the league for several years? i don’t think it’s wrong that the owners make money. presumably, that’s the main reason or at least a major reason why they have invested their money in a sports franchise. and, i’ve been to a jacksonville jaguars game and i’ve seen thirty thousand unoccupied seats so i know that not all the franchises are in good shape. yes, i understand that most nfl players play for less than seven or eight years and they put their health at risk and so they need to be paid a lot of money. but no one forces them to play or forces them to not prepare for some other kind of employment once they can no longer play football. i believe there is more the owners can give to prevent a loss of games this year and i also believe that if there is a disruption the fault will be on the players.

20. By Stuck In Texas on Mar 13, 2011 | Reply

on monday i think i will ask my boss to look at the books…hmm i wonder what he might say?

21. By J C on Mar 14, 2011 | Reply

Daren,

What prices where frozen… the increased 2011 price. I have been a season ticket holder for 6 years. My price just increased 24%. This is a marketing front to hide the increase. I paid $2,315 for 2010 tickets. In my account the price for 2011 is $2,870 for 2011. I think you need to dig into this a little more. if they sell out the stadium…how much more will fans pay in 2011 or will it be the same. I think the answer will surprise you.

22. By Justin on Mar 14, 2011 | Reply

I don’t know about you guys, but my season tickets decreased dramatically…to absolutely nothing.