March madness

Posted by Darren Urban on March 11, 2011 – 9:30 am

A couple of days ago, I saw wide receiver Max Komar down in the weight room. “Just trying to get in a workout while I can,” Komar said.

We’ll see where the NFL labor talks take us today (today’s expiration of the CBA, negotiated last week as an extension, is 5 p.m. EST, or 3 p.m. Arizona time still 9:59 p.m. Az time, but 3 p.m. Az time is expected to be important when it comes to the union possibly decertifying). We’ll see if Komar will be around next week, or offensive linemen Levi Brown and Lyle Sendlein, who were working out together a couple of times this week too. But what makes someone stir crazy — like me — is the inability to talk about what we’re normally talking about right now. Free agent speculation (and, obviously, trades would be a bigger part of it too) that fuel March. Who is visiting? Who might sign? What are the pros and cons? These are the things that fill up a blog this month and, in a lot of ways, is what makes the offseason fun.

That’s all in a holding pattern, regardless of what happens in a few hours.

Tags: , , , ,

53 Responses to “March madness”

1. By Jahstone on Mar 11, 2011 | Reply

Ahhh Greed…the only thing that keeps rationality at bay.

2. By Barry on Mar 11, 2011 | Reply

money and greed…the fans are the only ones that are hurting..

3. By Mitch on Mar 11, 2011 | Reply

Have any of the TE’s been in the weight room??

4. By darthcard on Mar 11, 2011 | Reply

Darren I want to thank you for picking my questions to Michael Bidwill. That made my day. As far as the cbs im actually not that aggravated over the dragging mediations. I really want both sides to be happy. In the end I believe the love of the game will get this deal done with peace on both sides.

5. By D on Mar 11, 2011 | Reply

Don’t hold your breath…we can only hope for an extension for another week….did you see that Bulger still has his wife working? Tough economy….

6. By Darren Urban on Mar 11, 2011 | Reply

Mitch –

RE: TEs

Not that I have seen. Relatively few players have been in at this point.

7. By Rodgerscromartie17 on Mar 11, 2011 | Reply

Urb, I woke up this morning while NFL Total access was still on my tv, and they were talking about who is taking what with thier pick depending on who is there, and they were talking about cam newton being snagged for fitzgerald, please tell me they are just running thier mouths again? cause we need to sign a vet not a rookie

8. By Darren Urban on Mar 11, 2011 | Reply

Rodgerscromartie –

RE: Newton

As I have said before, I think Cam isn’t likely to come here but I would not rule it out.

9. By Kurt on Mar 11, 2011 | Reply

Darren:

How safe are Cardinal’s staff jobs in the event of a lock-out?

10. By Darren Urban on Mar 11, 2011 | Reply

Kurt –

RE: Staff jobs

Thankfully, there are no layoffs planned.

11. By Keegan on Mar 11, 2011 | Reply

Why can’t players use team facilities during a lock-out? Because I’ve heard that if they don’t agree on a new CBA then players wont be able to work out for their teams, I guess it just verifies that teams can do nothing with their players without a CBA in place

12. By Darren Urban on Mar 11, 2011 | Reply

Keegan –

RE: Using facilities

Because a lockout is called that because that’s exactly what it is — the employees are locked out of the place of business.

13. By D on Mar 11, 2011 | Reply

Maybe the CBA talks should have had Kurt Warner involved-he got permission to use the Card field with current players during a soon to be lockout…

14. By brad oneill on Mar 11, 2011 | Reply

i just hope the players don’t get trapped into long term gym memberships if they are locked out. It will take the entire nflpa lawyer staff to get them out of those contracts.

15. By John on Mar 11, 2011 | Reply

have the players threaten to move to the ufl and this deal would have been done already.

16. By D on Mar 11, 2011 | Reply

John Skelton has job security now!!!!

17. By toddcard on Mar 11, 2011 | Reply

players to decertify….this is horse sh*@! i’m gonna start following the rattlers….i cant stand AFL but atleast they lookout for their fans. truly f’n disgusted.

18. By TBru on Mar 11, 2011 | Reply

so long Darren and Cardinal Nation it has been nice knowing you all. Really nothing else to comment on at this point. Where do I sign up for the class action lawsuit. I have payed taxes in several cities and states with tax payer funded stadiums, including Arizona.

The golden goose is dead

19. By SteveDCO on Mar 11, 2011 | Reply

I am probably in the minority but I support the owners here. NFLPA had no intention of getting a deal done and just signed extensions hoping to win public opinion.

The owners books should not be public and the idea to “prove” the decline in revenue is simple. Green Bay has open books, a sold out stadium and a pretty good team and has seen a decrease in profit.

Dallas my have more revenue from the Jerry Dome but Jones also has to pay the rent on that beast.

Players come and go but teams are around forever. I support the team.

20. By Mike Ellingboe on Mar 11, 2011 | Reply

@Darren,

Just read on ESPN’s site what the players supposedly turned down, much as I’m surprised to say it the offer sounded fair (splitting the second billion instead of asking for all of it, 16 game schedule, rookie cap w/that money going to retired players, etc.).

My question, if you’ve heard or know, what exactly are they hoping for if that kind of offer was turned down? Sounds like they got pretty much everything they were asking for, minus the 1/2 billion but I’d think they would have realized they weren’t going to completely eliminate that request.

21. By Marcelo on Mar 11, 2011 | Reply

Darren, when do the negociations start, by which month?
    offseason and work stoppage are driving me nuts.

22. By Dean on Mar 11, 2011 | Reply

On a day when thousands are killed and an unbelievable amount of property damage from the earthquake/sunami in Japan, it’s unbelievable the millionaires and billionaires in the NFL can’t work out an agreement. Pathetic.

23. By cactus_hawaiian on Mar 11, 2011 | Reply

Dont know if you’ll be able to answer this but are the owners so afraid of opening up their books and showing their finances to the players?

24. By cardsalltheway on Mar 11, 2011 | Reply

I like how the Panthers owner said there wasn’t any “friction” between the NFL and players, then I hear DeMaurice Smith say that the owners have been colluding and conspiring against the players for the past 2 years. I don’t believe what that Jeff Pash says, he tried to make it sound like the NFL was really going to give the players what they wanted.

25. By cardsalltheway on Mar 11, 2011 | Reply

Somebody is likely to get their wear in a wad and not want to choose Von Miller(he has slipped) now that he has allowed his name on a lawsuit against the NFL. I think that if Matt Leinart had done that he’d have been gone before the 20 or so preseason plays he was in on last year.

26. By Mr. Know It All on Mar 11, 2011 | Reply

Focus on the Draft and team needs. Besides with all the economic issues going on both sides need to do some soul searchin.

27. By Big Red on Mar 11, 2011 | Reply

I guess so does Mighty Max!!!

28. By Darren Urban on Mar 11, 2011 | Reply

Mike, Cactus Hawaiian –

RE: CBA offers

All I know is what I have been reading, just like everyone else. No one is in those rooms, so we don’t know exactly what the details are with anything.

29. By Chris Lewis on Mar 12, 2011 | Reply

There’s no excuse for having a lockout. I’m no expert and don’t have all the answers, but I do know that this was avoidable and should never have happened. I’m not taking sides, I blame both the players and owners. They knew this was coming. They had plenty of time to work something out. It always comes back to money and greed. Us fans are the ones who suffer the most. I’m not picking on the NFL. This BS has happened in other sports and it’s inexcusable. I just hope something gets resolved before the season is completely wasted.

30. By cardsalltheway on Mar 12, 2011 | Reply

SteveDCO,
    “Intresting report that Judge Doty could alow Free Agency to begin at mignight tonight. I bet Coach Whiz and Graves are all huddles around a table waiting for a ruling to come down.”
    You forward thinker you! I’d say you’d probably lose that bet as golf is much too important and it hasn’t even passed thy minds even though the NFL thinks Doty favors the players. I hope I’m wrong unless the theory is that a last interview with a free agent is just as good — “huddled around the table waiting”(hehe).

31. By cardsalltheway on Mar 12, 2011 | Reply

There are 13 NFL owners(William Bidwill) / Officials(V. President in the Cards case) known as “non-front liners” and “in the margines” during CBA negotions. However, Michael Bidwill is known as a “good soldier” among others. There are 12 on the “second wave,” and 7 “leaders of the pack.”

32. By D on Mar 12, 2011 | Reply

I wonder if V. Miller being named a plantiff will affect how teams see him in the draft

33. By cardsalltheway on Mar 12, 2011 | Reply

SteveDCO,
    Actually, even if Doty almost immediately allowed free agency teams still wouldn’t know about financials until a signed agreement so go ahead coach, golf it up. Some think if the players didn’t decertify then some games would’ve more likely been canceled.

34. By SteveDCO on Mar 12, 2011 | Reply

I was wrong. The poll on PFT shows 40.48% of fans are blaming players and 39.54% is blaming both.

Players need to recognize they are loosing the court of public opinion. If fans had a vote, I think we would all say write a new CBA and give the players 30 days to personally accept.

After that time hold a draft of all players. Probably 12 rounds for offense one week and 12 rounds for defense the following week.

UFL, AFL and formber NFL players could declare for the draft.

As a fan, I would love to see football. The worst thing that could happen is major overhaul to the CBA giving players guranteed contracts and such. Just look the NBA to see how bad a CBA can get.

I love Fitz, Dockett and the like but FA has made all fans able to loose players and move on. So the greatest gift players got the last CBA will be their worst enemy now.

35. By Phoenixraven1 on Mar 12, 2011 | Reply

What a joke all of this is, sad with everything going on in this world people look to football for a relief and then all this greed…splitting hairs between millionaires and billionaires. GREED. Such a shame.

36. By cardsalltheway on Mar 12, 2011 | Reply

The Cowboys need a safety(as do other teams), can the Cards trade A. Wilson to them? I’m sure such a trade would require A. Wilson’s permission. The thing is the Cowboys wouldn’t even be interested b/c he’s too big and slow — yes he hits hard like their former safety Roy Williams — but Williams was faster than A. Wilson and yet Williams wasn’t good enough for the Cowboys. Why did the Cards sign A. Wilson after 10 years in the league to a new lucrative contract?

37. By Chris B on Mar 12, 2011 | Reply

Not usre if you know this is or not:

What are the Bidwill’s stance on all this? Are they standing with the Owners or are they leaning more towards the players side? Or does it even matter? I’ve been reading more about some of the higher profile team owners but nothing about the Bidwill’s.

Not sure if that’s a clear question.

38. By John on Mar 12, 2011 | Reply

NFL just lost some fans. Nothing more annoying than arrogant rich men arguing with spoiled players. Lets take are money to the UFL or the AFL. See how they react to that. How disgusting.

39. By brad oneill on Mar 12, 2011 | Reply

Jeff Pash- screwed up when he called out the players union publicly. that made a difficult situation much worse. First rule of negotiations is don’t make it personal.

The players union has no right to demand the financials. they are not owners they are workers. Is there anyone who really believes the players aren’t fairly compensated?

if I was an owner i would be pushing a bonus system that is equally distributed among all players as a negotiation tactic. Imagine if they put it on the table that all players would share 75% of player pay equally. do You think they might get some of the players to break from the agent driven agenda of the superstars.

do you really think tom brady and peyton maning joined the lawsuit out of concern for backup safeties? they have the most to lose in these negotiations if owners actually put a plan in place that spreads the pay among more players the superstars are the losers.

40. By Scott H on Mar 12, 2011 | Reply

Well, it’s official – the players are locked out. It’s so ridiculous. It’s hard to even care about this at this point when you look at what has just happened in Japan and what people there are going through. I love pro football and always will. But it’s the game and my enjoyment of it that I love. As for the people on both sides of the issue? It is clear that they are a group of people – especially the owners – who have no connection with the real world because they have been so completely altered by greed that they are no longer human. No matter how much money they will continue to make, there is ONE thing they will NEVER have – ENOUGH.

41. By Chuck 1 on Mar 12, 2011 | Reply

Regarding Mike Ellingboe’s comment about the NFLPA turning down what some would characterize as a fair offer, I’m reminded of Yassar Arafat turning down Clinton’s and Isreal’s peace offer years ago.

He got what he wanted. Continued strife.

42. By Chuck 1 on Mar 12, 2011 | Reply

Regarding the NFLPA demanding that the owners open their books, should the owners do that?

Methinks NOT!!!

How many employees should see their employer’s books?

43. By Darren Urban on Mar 12, 2011 | Reply

cardsalltheway –

RE: Wilson

Adrian signed his extension in June of 2009, after 8 years in the league. http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-1/New-Deal-Makes-Wilson-Career-Card/4350b1b7-8397-11de-8e35-0ee8612ec13e

44. By Darren Urban on Mar 12, 2011 | Reply

Chris B –

RE: Bidwill stance

I have not asked them directly but I have no reason to think they aren’t firmly behind the owners’ stance. They are owners, after all.

45. By brad oneill on Mar 12, 2011 | Reply

darrren are you still allowed to talk to the players?

46. By Mike Ellingboe on Mar 12, 2011 | Reply

As a very pro-union guy I’d normally side with the players on this but if what I’m reading is accurate I just can’t this time around. Apparently the players wanted (roughly) for the increased amount the owners get off the top to be an additional $150 million instead of the $500 million that was offered. Refusing a deadline offer over $350 million out of a pot of 9 billion, especially when just about everything else they asked for was granted is a big mistake. By and large, the players need a league a lot more than the owners need teams, and while that assumption may be incorrect there’s no questioning the financial impact to the cities involved.

The support they once had, since the word is lockout (not strike), will erode immediately when the average fan learns the specifics. Can’t believe I’m agreeing with the owners when they say the players turned down a very good offer but there’s no other way to word it. Let’s see what they end up signing to as the Fall draws near. I’m guessing when the smoke finally clears they will settle on a deal that will probably end up being less conciliatory than what they gave up.

Sometimes when you hold out for everything, you end up with nothing.

47. By Peter in Canada on Mar 12, 2011 | Reply

If I were the players money would be the least of my concerns. I would be more worried about living long enough and of a quality to enjoy the money I’ve earned. I’m sure that is why Warner retired and why he will never come back.

48. By fightingbird on Mar 12, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren,Im not going to get into the lockout situation or anything else because whatever happenes ,happenes ,I cant do anything about anything any way.Im a Cardinals fan to the end and have been since I was seven years old and Im 46 now and will be until well you know when.When does the draft start Ive not been around for a while.Thanks for all you do. WE DO THIS TOGETHER.!!!!!!!!!!

49. By Mark on Mar 12, 2011 | Reply

The players are looking like they are in the wrong here. The owners gave the players what seemed to be a fair deal. Players are demanding for owners to open the financial books. The way i see it, they have no right to see them. I cant ask my employer how much they are making off my services/work. i am just happy to have a job. The players that are involved in this process seem very selfish. How much more money do Brees. Manning and Brady need to make. Football is the most popular sport in the United States and it is gonna be a shame when all parties involved ruin it. I say bring on the scabs, maybe Tiki Barber can get a job then.

50. By jdcrow59 on Mar 13, 2011 | Reply

The best product on the planet and both sides take the risk of screwing it up. Why? Because they both know that when all the dust settles the fans will return like we always do. The cash will flow and revenues will go up. So when you start to hear day after day about the players and the owners concern for the fans, just remember it’s a load of crap. All any of them care about is money, and how much of it they can get their hands on. The only potential loser in this whole deal is the fans and as stated before both sides know that they got us in the bag. No matter how much we bellyache we will be back buying the jersey’s, the tickets, the football package etc……And they know it. So relax, there will be football and we will end up paying more to see like we always do.

51. By CZarr on Mar 13, 2011 | Reply

First of all, the NFL needs more Charlie Sheen.

Second, Darren, if Zib and Ochocinco box who wins?

52. By Darren Urban on Mar 13, 2011 | Reply

Brad –

RE: Talking to players

Not for the time being.

53. By Phoenixraven1 on Mar 13, 2011 | Reply

Wow NFL was on a great path and they have derailed, only alienating the fans. The bitter memories of baseball, NBA, and hockey…had hoped this would have missed the NFL but greed conquers. To bad they will take years to fix this with the fans!

I will never forget NBA star Patrick Ewing literally crying about how much he had to pay his agent and how much his mansion costs…guess what you spoiled idiots the average fan can’t comprehend have and have nots fighting over more money than any of the rest of the world can comprehend!

I’m off my soap box now…