On hold

Posted by Darren Urban on March 14, 2011 – 9:36 am

As I came in this morning, I saw strength and conditioning coach John Lott lifting weights. I’m guessing there will be  a lot of that in the short term, while the powers-that-be sort out the lockout/decertification and there is a waiting game for labor resolution. To get an understanding on where this whole thing is and where it is going, this article by former Packers executive Andrew Brandt is simple and concise. (And for multiple stories and details as we go, you can check here.)

For now, there is looking forward to the draft, which is always important and may be even moreso this offseason (I will  be posting a story a bit later on what the fifth overall pick — which the Cards hold — has provided over the past 10 years). So we plug away while we wait.

Tags:

27 Responses to “On hold”

1. By wampag on Mar 14, 2011 | Reply

we are organizing spread the word

NFLandNFLPArgreedy@groups.facebook.com

2. By Chris on Mar 14, 2011 | Reply

I know what the fifth pick meant in 2007, we drafted Adrian Peterson!….. oh wait, we didn’t. Hopefully that marks the last time Russ Grimm has any input in the war room whatsoever.

3. By nick on Mar 14, 2011 | Reply

darren, since they didn’t tender spach and there is no free agency, do you think they will resign him ( if they are going to) or draft a te? basically how do you see if shaking out for him being on the team? I think he is such an asset to the blocking game. thanks!

4. By Darren Urban on Mar 14, 2011 | Reply

Nick —

RE: Spach

There is still expected to be free agency of some sort at this point. Spach returning is a possibility; this is the same scenario for Spach as last offseason and he obviously returned. I do think there is a chance they draft a tight end.

5. By Phoenixraven1 on Mar 14, 2011 | Reply

Are Cards looking at Skeltons brother? Someone posted a video of his pro day on Revenge of the Birds…

6. By Wampag on Mar 14, 2011 | Reply

are you frustrated with the NFL and NFLPA

join us, united voices are louder than one

7. By Darren Urban on Mar 14, 2011 | Reply

Phoenixraven —

RE: Skelton brother

I am sure they will evaluate him like every other player. Is he a target? I don’t know if I’d say that.

8. By D on Mar 14, 2011 | Reply

Since no one else was in there to help John, did you spot him on the bench?
    I hope the Cards don’t change how they approach the draft since we don’t have a FA period before it. Say, reach on a QB instead of taking the best player available.

9. By Dave on Mar 14, 2011 | Reply

I read the other article and while I had been somewhat looking forward to the #5 pick, citing Levi Brown as a success story seems to have tempered my enthusiasm.

10. By Darren Urban on Mar 14, 2011 | Reply

Dave —

RE: Levi as fifth

Didn’t call it a success story.

11. By cattledog on Mar 14, 2011 | Reply

Darren all i can say & do is not bye any cardinals gear, or wear anything i already have! This will be the last time i come to this page or anything NFL. The pure greed is beyond anything i can imagine.They make more than any 5 to 6 people i know put together! i think both sides have forgotten who & what made the NFL take off!

THAT WOULD BE US THE FANS! not the players or the owners!
    thats real talk!
    now good bye until both sides pull there heads out of there ______!
    you can fill in the blank
    thank you for this space !!!

12. By ross on Mar 14, 2011 | Reply

Darren, I heard draftees were told not to show up to the draft…are teams still allowed to contact eligible players in the draft?

13. By cardsfan007 on Mar 14, 2011 | Reply

I will be damned if “We the fans” have to witness another season with Derek Anderson in the Locker room because there is no FA…

14. By Darren Urban on Mar 14, 2011 | Reply

Ross —

RE: Draftees

Teams can/will still be talking to potential draftees, and talking to them right after they are drafted.

15. By drummer-1 on Mar 14, 2011 | Reply

@ cattledog..

Bye.. go cry on the hockey site

@ cardsfan007… A legit question, whats so bad about having Anderson on the roster if it’s a long lockout,just incase it’s to late to pick up someone, and what can we the fans do about? what if the lokout last till the 4th week of the season we would need someone that already know the system or should just pick up someone and throw them in there the day? we know skelton will start the season anyway if that happens and Anderson will be 2nd string..

16. By TBru on Mar 14, 2011 | Reply

all this NFL/Cardinals merchandise

I’ve pent my valuable pennies on. wonder if I should put it on ebay or just chuck it in a dumpster. Guess I’ll wait for now and decide on what should be week one

17. By NJAzCardsFan on Mar 14, 2011 | Reply

I will permanently give up on the Cards and become a Jets fan for life if Disaster Always isn’t cut and is on the roster for this coming season. I can’t believe that they actually paid that guy to be the Cards QB. What was worse, was that Whiz was making excuses for him for most of the season. It was just too ugly, to ever watch that again.

18. By Phoenixraven1 on Mar 14, 2011 | Reply

Noticed all the peeps in the gym that normally wear football stuff year round havnt been wearing….

19. By Marcus Clark on Mar 14, 2011 | Reply

Darren, should have wrote about how John Skelton and Cards TE coach went to Stephen Skelton’s(John’s Brother) Pro Day. But John didn’t go their to just cheeeer his Stehpen on, he also gave him a helping arm and was his quarterback. I think in the late rounds theres a strong possibility we might grab him. He look good in a youtube clip I seen (ran a 4.6 40 as well)..

20. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Mar 14, 2011 | Reply

If I were you, I’d take advantage of the playerless lockeroom and sign up to be Lott’s next project so you can beef up and be ready to take the punishment off a protracted labor battle.

21. By brad oneill on Mar 14, 2011 | Reply

What is with all the hate for derek anderson? the guy came in and got the crap kicked out of him for the first few games as our line completely failed him.

He had a bad year but he showed up and he worked hard, I would rather have a guy like him than albert haynsworth anyday.

DA may actually be a better than average back up. He knows the system and the coaches have been trying to overcome his accuracy issues. As golfers know anytime you change your swing your score is going to suffer. His lock on issues could have been caused by his concentration on technique. Let’s see how he looks in camp.

22. By AndyStandsUp on Mar 14, 2011 | Reply

My question is:
    If a longtime Card fan showed up in Flagstaff for training camp in August and screamed to the high heavens while the players and owners bickered over champagne and caviar in their insolent world, would he really make a sound?

23. By drummer-1 on Mar 14, 2011 | Reply

seems to me that NJAzcardsfan is riding cardsfans007 coattail, even taken part of his screen name.. hope you have your own opinion someday..

24. By drummer-1 on Mar 14, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren,

Roger Goodell said he’d cut his pay if there’s a lockout, can you check on that and see if he’s actually going to do it, last i check we have a lockout…

25. By dieselbomber on Mar 15, 2011 | Reply

AndyStandsUp – Said: ” … would he really make a sound?”

Hilarious!! I say ‘No.’ Mostly because all the noise is about Opening up the books or 18 game schedules. Who can hear over that?

26. By dieselbomber on Mar 15, 2011 | Reply

brad oneill –

Mentioned Derek Anderson getting beaten up due to the Cardinals’ crummy O-Line.

That much is agreed. Both DA and Max Hall had season-ending injuries which I attribute to poor line play. DA took far more hits and was the worse for wear.

Max Hall, however, might need a good deal more seasoning before he gets another start. There were many negatives thrust upon him which would never put any athlete in a fair light. But he might also have some natural physical issues which come into play (hand size, perhaps? dunno). However, he led BYU without that apparently factoring in. And, yes, I do realize life is different in the NFL.

Irrespective, from the beginning – between Hall and Skelton – I thought Skelton would’ve been the choice to carry on. More because of certain other qualities that seemed to fit the Cardinals more completely.

I’m hoping the Cardinals spend their drafts on Defense – almost exclusively – and then O-Line, rather than look for QBs.

Two guys not likely to go as high in the draft as I’d like are QBs : Andy Dalton (TCU) and Colin Kaepernick (Nevada). Kaepernick is, perhaps, a better all-around athlete than Dalton; and could be used as a Receiver and/or RB (he’s got a great arm, though. But as a RB he could be a double-threat when considering Half-back passes). Dalton surprisingly didn’t get much press during the Combine. Anyway, We (Cardinals) possibly could pick one of these guys up for a good price to shore up the future QB position. But I stand by my point to concentrate on improving the Defense, first, then the O-Line. { Perhaps have equal weight }.

I also think Marc Bulger would be a good interim “Bridge” QB to mentor Skelton and/or one of the two guys just mentioned. Problem is it appears he’s also weighing the Tennessee Titans as a possibility (being closer to his home).

27. By Jahstone on Mar 16, 2011 | Reply

I can’t believe any of you are still talking DA…maybe he is 3rd string behind Bartel and Skelton in an absolute lockout emergency…would be better than having to track down Tim Hasselbeck again!!!