The time to consider Gabbert

Posted by Darren Urban on March 17, 2011 – 1:06 pm

Missouri quarterback Blaine Gabbert had his pro day today, a slightly more impactful event than, say, Cam Newton’s because Gabbert didn’t throw at the combine. Reports from the workout say Gabbert generally threw well; ESPN’s Chris Mortensen said scouts are telling him he has good arm strength but not great arm strength. SI’s Don Banks tweeted the consensus he is getting is that Gabbert indeed can be a franchise QB.

The Cards were represented at the Missouri pro day by a scout and offensive coordinator Mike Miller. Some combination of team officials will meet with Gabbert again either next week or soon after.

I’m still not sure that a) the Cards would go QB with their first pick or b) that Gabbert will even be there to be picked. I do think that if the Cards took a quarterback in the first round, they’d be much more likely to go with Gabbert than Newton. There’s just something about everything that swirls around Newton off the field that I think they think Gabbert would be a safer pick.

But again, that doesn’t mean they will go QB. Gabbert means waiting, in all probability, behind a veteran (Yes, coach Ken Whisenhunt doesn’t like to play rookies right away and you can argue that will go for Patrick Peterson or Von Miller or whomever, but remember, the one time Whisenhunt had a top 10 pick here, Levi Brown started from the get-go).

We can argue that Gabbert isn’t as good as, say, Bradford or Stafford, for example, but any player is a crapshoot to a certain extent and that doubles for a quarterback. This time of year, I can’t remember a quarterback not getting picked apart when considered as a very high choice (although am I petty for thinking that wearing a backwards baseball cap while throwing today just seemed a little, I don’t know, unprofessional?).

(And in what might be my first-ever UPDATE off a parenthetical comment, it occurred to me that Gabbert does have long hair. Maybe he had to wear something on his head to keep the hair out of his eyes while throwing. Just trying to provide the benefit of the doubt.)

Tags: ,

81 Responses to “The time to consider Gabbert”

1. By Phoenixraven1 on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

If miller or Peterson are gone by the #5 I saw take him!

2. By Phoenixraven1 on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

Any word on theCards lookings at Quinn?

3. By Darren Urban on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

Phoenixraven —

RE: Quinn

Not that I have heard, but that doesn’t mean they haven’t.

4. By Travis McCollum on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

I heard reports that the owners were going to be there. Was that true or not.

5. By Mike Ellingboe on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

I have yet to see or hear anything that would indicate to me that he isn’t capable of having the same type of success that Bradford has. I knew he played under center in high school and according to what I read about his pro day there weren’t any issues at all with his comfort level there; he completed 44/49 passes to unknown receivers and only two incompletions were supposedly on him; throw in the fact that physically he easily matches up to Bradford and I don’t know what more we’re hoping to hear about him. More importantly, all of the above was very evident throughout his playing career.

I’m not overly old-school about such things, so the backwards hat doesn’t strike me as unprofessional. It was reported that he was very relaxed throughout the day, seems in line with the apparel. Unprofessional to me is a group of QB’s who played the way ours did last season, if he can improve us there I can live with questionable fashion accessories.

6. By JoeVero on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

Are YOU allowed to talk to the players during the lockout?

7. By Darren Urban on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

Travis —

RE: Owners

What owners were going to be where?

8. By Mike Ellingboe on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

In regards to your update, I don’t know if you’re a hockey fan or not but if so am I the only one who’s noticed that he could pass for Jeremy Roenick’s brother?

9. By Darren Urban on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

JoeVero —

RE: Talking to players

Team employees cannot talk to players during the lockout.

10. By Reichaj on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

Any word on interest in landing Bulger before April 28th? Having a competent veteran quarterback prior to Draft day would ease the minds of many Cards fans like myself who don’t have much to get excited about when it comes to quarterbacks available to draft #5 overall.

11. By Mike Ellingboe on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

@Darren,

In regards to Travis’ comment, I think he means at Gabbert’s pro day. The writer for the Columbia, MO newspaper reported awhile back the Bidwell’s were going to be there. As you noted to me previously, I haven’t heard anything to indicate they were.

12. By darthcard on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

This is biased because I always want to draft defense but here it goes. Gabbert is not a top 5 pick. If we pass on peterson,Quinn, miller and yes in that order for Gabbert im going to bury my head in a pillow and scream for 20minutes. Darren do you think Von MIller is very similar to one time cardinal Ken Harvey?

13. By Travis McCollum on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

The Bidwill being at Missouri Pro day to see Gabbert.

14. By Darren Urban on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

Mike —

RE: Gabbert/Roenick

I actually covered the Coyotes for the East Valley Tribune in 1998-99 when Roenick was on the team. And yes, I could see him as the little brother.

15. By Darren Urban on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

Reichaj —

RE: Bulger acquisition

No player moves can happen until there is a new labor agreement.

16. By Darren Urban on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

Darthcard —

RE: Miller/Harvey

I’d be lying if I said I had seen either player enough to know.

17. By Darren Urban on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

Travis —

RE: Owners at pro day

Michael Bidwill is at the Tempe facility today.

18. By Matt Lechner on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

Gabbert has done a good job of persueding most people that he has the most talent, upside and coachability of any of the quarterback. I think the Cardinals would be making a mistake drafting him #5. They should go defense at #5 and look to FA or trade for their next QB. Or draft one of these guys in the 2nd/3rd round — http://bit.ly/TopDraftQBs

19. By Reichaj on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

Thx for the clarification regarding the labor situation. The Draft has a different feel to it this year. With so much to be uncertain about, do u think Whiz/Graves will take best available or team need with the #5 pick?

20. By Darren Urban on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

Reichaj —

RE: BPA vs need

Both have said the labor issues won’t change anything. That said, there is always a lean toward need. Very very few teams take a player where they already have a wealth of talent.

21. By Cards93 on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

In regards to the BPA vs need, would you say the cards have a position with a “wealth of talent”? It seems to me with all the free agents at various positions (WR, DL, OL) any player we pick up would be able to contribute immediately. I’m comfortable with our safeties, corners, and special teams but outside of those we need help. Obviously, I love our starters at DL but it seems like all of the reserves are FAs.

22. By Reichaj on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

Good point. For any Cards fan, the #1 need is to keep #11 in a Cardinal jersey. What’s the right pick? The top rated QB prospect in this years draft because it is the team’s greatest need? Or the BPA at a position that improves the team immediately?

23. By Darren Urban on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

Cards93 —

RE: BPA/need

A fair argument. Perhaps I should put it another way — when these guys grade the potential draftees, usually need is figured in. And the same goes for every other team. Now, if it was, for example, AJ Green vs Andy Dalton for the fifth overall pick, does Dalton get a nod because QB is a bigger need? No. But these guys are so close, it’s hard not to see a guy who you need more as slightly better. Or, if they are even, swing toward the need.

You are right. Green helps a lot if, say Breaston were to leave. But if Green (and Fitz) don’t have a QB to get them the ball, or a pass rusher to generate punts/turnovers to get the ball back, it’s kinda moot.

24. By Don't Take Losses on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

This guy was 7th…ready for this…in his league, in completion %? What I head on radio, haven’t confirmed.

25. By D on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

Agree totally Darren-with this offseason, would be wasting a #5 pick if they went QB-because with no time to practice or learn playbook-No rookie QB will be able to contribute in 2011-should try for V. Miller, if he is gone, try to move down around 10, gain more picks and get the second best pass rusher…

26. By brad oneill on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

darren be quiet basketball is on. just kidding.

If peterson and von miller are gone i can see taking gabbert. otherwise i see no reason to give up a likely impact player for a maybe and that maybe wont even be a possibility for a year in all likelihood. whiz was burned by using a rookie that was supposedly ready last year. he wont do it again.

27. By Jeff on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

No disrespect to you darren, but i feel like i disagree with much of this. I don’t see how we could not take a QB with our first pick. We need someone to build around on this team for years to come, and signing a FA like bulger will only delay the problem. And even if we wanted to sign a veteran, there is no CBA to allow it. And I don’t see how gabbert would be the better pick over newton. It seems like no one has even heard of gabbert until draft talks started, and obviously newton led his team to a BCS championship. Talent gets attention. People say Gabbert is more “pro ready” than Newton, but I wouldn’t say by much. They both played in similar systems in college, and when I watched gabbert it seemed like he played with happy feet. The guy can’t stand still. someone comes within 5 yards of him and hes running out towards the sidelines. Regardless of if we draft either one, they will probably be learning behind someone else, so does it really matter who is more pro ready? It seems to be understood that newton has a higher ceiling than gabbert as well, so I’m sticking with newton.

28. By Pat on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

Darren, Cards should offer their second this yr and a fourth next yr to Cinn for Palmer. That’s the same pics it took to get McNabb last yr. Draft defense in the first round. There will not be a better qb available in the second round than Palmer.

29. By Mike Ellingboe on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

@D,

What chance would any of the rookies have to learn the playbook? I can’t see not taking a potential franchise QB for the next decade because they face the same restrictions/problems as everyone else.

30. By Chris B on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

My guess is that if Peterson and Miller are gone by 5, the Cards are more likely to take a QB…. I just hope it’s not Newton.

31. By brad oneill on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

speaking of look alikes in sports has anyone else noticed that rachael maddow looks a lot like peyton manning?

32. By Darren Urban on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

Jeff —

RE: QB clarification

Just so you (and everyone) knows, I’m not saying this necessarily through my eyes, but through the eyes of the organization. Personally, I don’t know what I’d do with the first pick.

33. By TBru on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

This is essentially a job interview, of course a backwards cap is unprofessional. What ever happened to a suit and tie, not to mention highly shined wing tips.

It is a business, remember?

34. By Mike Ellingboe on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

@Brad,

Didn’t know who Rachael Maddow was, but having looked her up if either one dyed their hair a different color it’s an exact match – probably not the most shining moment of Peyton’s career.

35. By Mike Ellingboe on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

@Darren,

Hopefully you’re right about Gabbert probably being higher on our board (loosely paraphrasing your words there) than Newton but should we be reading anything into the fact that the Whiz attended Newton’s pro day and Mike Miller attended Gabbert’s?

36. By AndyStandsUp on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

Keim and Graves has said the only way they’ll choose a QB with the 5th pick is if they feel he is a “franchise” player. Personally, I think both Gabbert and Newton will be gone by the time the Cards pick. Right now, Miller seems like the pick to me.
    And how can you draft a QB with long hair named Blaine? QB is leadership position and we need guys with tough names like Kurt, Matt, Jake, Boomer and Stoney.

37. By B on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

How’s that QB from Missouri that tore it up in college doing in the NFL???………..

……

System Quarterback.

If we pass on any of these defensive studs for Gabbert…then well Rod Graves needs to be fired,but we all know he will just get a raise LOL.

Newton>Gabbert anywho.

38. By harlanlee on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

Please do not say it is wishy-washy time with #5. That is not the place to address the QB situation. Go for the best player on the board in Rounds #1 & #2, then take the best QB available in the 3rd round. Might get lucky and get Colin from Nevada.

39. By Darren Urban on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

Mike —

RE: At the pro days

Nope.

40. By Joe daddy on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

I hope peterson is there at 5. He can play corner for a couple years and then transition to safety. Adub only has a couple good years left in him.

41. By Jesse Robles on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS!! Way too many Defensive Players to take the risk at an Offensive QB. We are a few LB’s short of one of the Best Defense in the NFL. Best Defensive Player available is the safest way in this draft, In my opinion. Either way, if we fail at this first round pick it is gong to hurt us a lot, and that would be something the Old Cardinals would do, Lets get this right. Everyone in our division have gotten better, we need this pick.

42. By Big Red on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

John Skelton, forget all this rookie QB’s. Just Believe in #19. Go Defense!

43. By SeeingRed on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

I don’t know why the Cards would go with someone such as Gabbert considering he doesn’t seem to be particularly special…for what he does we have pretty much in Skelton, who I think can still develop into a high calibur QB. Not to mention he seems to have a weaker arm than Skelton AND he would be transitioning to a “under center” qb system…to many questions for such mediocre ability..basing that also on his Big 12 stats too.

I would think if it’s possible for the Cards to have a good/strong indication that Bulger will be avail at some point that they go with Newton (if they go qb first round). I know he’s also a “project” but he has intangibles that none of the other qb’s have. I also don’t buy the high level of off-field skepticism. I think if coach Whiz interviews him he would know all he would need to (good or bad). I attribute that more to Whiz’s instincts more than Newton’s character etc..They could develop both Skelton and Newton while Bulger does his thing as starter. U have to do whatever u can to find ur next franchise QB-our future with Fitz depends on it! LOL

That all being said I’d be happy with either Peterson, Miller, or Newton for a 1st round pick. Go Cards.

44. By seven q on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

1st rnd Miller!!! 2nd rnd Colin Kaepernick!!!! anybpdy agree???

45. By tyman on Mar 18, 2011 | Reply

The only really great vets that might be out there for trade in my opinion will be Ortan(hopefully), kolb, Mcnabb, Young. We all know how important having agreat QB is (Kurt Warner). I say if there is no for sure tallent petterson, take a shot on a guy at QB with the first pick. Everyone likes John, even I like the guy at QB. John didnt move the ball good enough through his first 4 starts. It will be interesting to see if he starts any more games, if he still will show upside or if teams will shut him down through gameplanning. We can pass up tallent, last time we had 5th pick who did we pass up?AP yah thats right. And we took matt over Cutler. The pick dosnt need to be popular with the fans. Maybe Gabbert is good?

46. By Eazy E on Mar 18, 2011 | Reply

If we are going to pick QB at 5, It needs to be Newton. Newton is a better player than Gabbert. Gabbert is alright but what you’ve seen out of Newton dwarfs Gabbert’s accomplishments. We need to choose out of Von Miller, Patrick Peterson, or Cam Newton as of right now. If we need to go QB go Newton, If we go BPA, um… Go um… Patrick Peterson by a hair out of him and Von. All three are so good though.

47. By Thomas Zinck on Mar 18, 2011 | Reply

About Levi Brown starting right away:
    If i remember correctly the only reason Levi Brown started right away was because Oliver Ross got injured before the first regular season game.

48. By Old Man Riva on Mar 18, 2011 | Reply

Great blog as usual Darren, thanks. I have lived in the StL area for several years so have seen Gabbert progress from an outstanding high school QB to the same at the college level. No reason to think he couldn’t do the same in the NFL. Sure, he has his flaws, but what young QB doesn’t? He has an excellent background and is a top notch student as well. I am inclined to go along with what Phoenixraven1 said…if Miller is gone (not so sure Peterson is worth a #5 unless he’s Ronnie Lott) I say take a chance on Gabbert. As you mentioned, Newton is the kind of player that may have more off field publicity than Matt Leinart did and as conservative as the Bidwills are, I believe they’ll pass on him. Also, don’t forget their ties to the StL are still here and they would truly love to have a QB from the area turn out to be better than Bradford.

49. By Jeff Gollin on Mar 18, 2011 | Reply

One reason Gabbert might be a more attractive choice than Newton is bringing aboard Newton would probably mean a major overhaul of the Cardinal offense to accommodate Newton’s unique skill-set – and I’m not sure the Cardinal brain trust is willing to go quite that far.

Regarding the pros and cons of passing up a “franchise QB”, I’d be surprised if the Cards didn’t re-analyze the events leading up to their drafting Matt Leinart – what was their thought processes, what took place during the interviews? Were there any “tells” that could have helped predict how Leinart would turn out?

My gut tells me that (a) we have our young QBOF to develop in Skelton and – unless it’s felt that Gabbert is very very special – the Cards would be better off trolling in free agency for a veteran like McNabb or Palmer and perhaps drafting a promising rookie QB (for “Skelton insurance”) in a later round..

50. By joe67 on Mar 18, 2011 | Reply

Maybe he thinks he can get a baseball contract, as a catcher!
    I agree with you Darren. Maybe a little uprofessional, and could be a definite sign of immaturity.

51. By joe67 on Mar 18, 2011 | Reply

The last time (I believe I am correct in this) the Cards took a MO q-back in 1st or 2nd round, it was Steve Pizarkowitz. (Spelling?) in mid to late 70’s. Check the record book to see how that turned out!!

52. By Mark in Chandler on Mar 18, 2011 | Reply

Bradford, OLB, and QB:
    1-At the risk of treding on sacred ground I am not comfortable with Bradford constantly being set up as the model for a rookie QB. i.e. “not sure if Gabbert is as good as Bradford…” Bradford’s passer rating was very poor-Derek Anderson poor. He didn’t have a winning record. His completion was poor. if it wasn’t for the fact that he improved the rams he would not be notewrothy. He may become good, don’t misunderstand, but he is not good now. If we want to pick a rookie who played well, pick Ryan. He is about the only rookie in recent years whose play clearly was NFL caliber from the start.

2-I would go with Quinn over Miller with the #5, as I have mentioned many times, but both would be good. I just don’t see any another players who would impact the Cardinals more.

3-All of the QB’s are a project in this draft. If the Cards feel like they need to add to Skelton to improve thier odds of a future QB, I am starting to think that Dalton or Kaepernick will likely be there at the Card’s 3rd pick and I don’t see that big of a difference between either one of them and Jake Locker.

53. By Mike Ellingboe on Mar 18, 2011 | Reply

@Mark,

Have to take some issue with your evaluation of Bradford. His completion % was 60%, not poor. His rating was considerable higher than DA’s and he was on the plus side of his TD/INT ratio with over 3500 yards as a rookie. DA was at an abysmal completion % of 51.7, had more picks than TD’s, and only had a little over 2,000 yards passing.

Throw in the fact that STL had the worst group of WR’s in the league and it makes you wonder what his numbers look like with Fitz and Breaston. The reality for the rest of the NFC West is STL has a franchise QB in place, the rest of us (at present) don’t.

54. By jeff l ford on Mar 18, 2011 | Reply

as i live in missouri and am huge mizzou fan, i have watched gabbert verry closely for his 3 years at mizzou…he saw very little action as a freshman and looked lost(unlike chase daniel who in relief of brad smith as a freshman looked great)…his soph season i thought him a bit stiff and wasnt consistent on longer throws often missing badly to wide open wr’s…his jr year was about the same…UNTIL their bowl game—he looked very fluid, threw the ball way, way better with much more zip and accuracy-i was absolutely amazed…forget anything you hear about his arm-he can make every throw…his character and work ethic are absolutely without question…showed great leadership skills entire career at mizzou…very mobile for his size and has deceptive speed…imo he will be much better off if he does not play as the franchise savior right away…he needs to work on taking the snap, footwork, and maybe qiuckening his release a bit…reminds me a lot of drew bledsoe…barring injury and not being rushed, imo he will be a very, very good nfl qb…i dont see him going to cards, though…he will be a panther and will probably play right away…as much as i would love to see a mizzou qb play for cards, we NEED a veteran qb…i would take bulger over kolb because of length of track record and money…imo skelton swowed that he could develop in a year or 2…if the cards get peterson or miller in first round, i would not be surprised if they take a qb in round 2-locker or dalton, maybe copernik(spelling?)…gonna be very interesting as unless miracle happens we will have draft b4 we can sign players

55. By brad oneill on Mar 18, 2011 | Reply

i have to agree that gabbert just isnt that special. look how he compares to Nick Foles of the university of Arizona.

Gabbert threw 475 attempts for 301 completions 16 tds and 9 interceptions. qb rating 127.03

foles threw 426 times for 281 completions 20 tds and 10 interceptions qb rating 140.86

All i am trying to point out here is an unhearlded qb from a weak pac 10 school compares favorably to a guy that is supposedly a top 10 pick?

if foles was in the draft this year would he be considered a legitimate 1 or 2 quarterback?

I think looking at this, the discussion should be all but over if it is worth it to spend a number 5 pick on a talent that is imminently replaceable.

56. By Javi on Mar 18, 2011 | Reply

so darren do you believe that the cards will rather go with gabbert than cam newton or the other waY AROUND?

57. By DoblerFan on Mar 18, 2011 | Reply

IMO ya gotta go BPA (that fits our system) this high in the draft or trade down. Lets learn from our mistakes and others success. I believe I’d prefer Adrian Peterson on my team over Levi Brown even if I had E. James running for me and needed a tackle. No rookie QB should start next year anyway. Take QB’s (& RB’s) in later rounds and develop them. Must admit though, my gut tells me Jake Locker’s issue’s can be fixed and he will someday shine. Like AJ Green alot too. Still a big chance Fitz and Breaston could be gone soon.

58. By Chad on Mar 18, 2011 | Reply

I just received my bill for my season tickets and they have the stones to ask me for my money when I’m not even guaranteed a product. Unbelievable. No one should renew their season tickets. BIdwell’s can’t even throw down money to keep good players around. If they don’t make financial sacrifices, why are they asking me?

59. By tom on Mar 18, 2011 | Reply

Do people really think its that outlandish to take Gabbert!? He comes from a pass happy system that likes to use intermediate throws and 5 receiver sets to carve up defenses. hello!!! isnt that what we did and got to the super bowl and almost won and back to back nfc west titles. i reallly want von miller or peterson but i will take gabbert. the perfect scenario is sign bulger for a year and let gabbert learn. we need a blue chip talent at qb and no matter what your opinion is nobody can say bulger is a franchise guy. signing a veteran only extends the problem of finding a franchise guy. i do not want newton though i think he just has bust written all over him or at least a long project. we just cant mess this pick up. we need a fitz type pick, one that willl be a cornerstone of the franchise.

60. By Darren Urban on Mar 19, 2011 | Reply

Javi —

RE: Newton v Gabbert

Comon Javi, did you even read the post?

61. By carlo7000 on Mar 19, 2011 | Reply

darren
    gabbert/newton
    when you say something darren is because you heard that from someone of the staff,but can you explain me why the head coach just watch newton workout???i think i like him ..maybe because is similiar to ben rothlisberger

62. By Darren Urban on Mar 19, 2011 | Reply

Carlo —

RE: Watching workouts

The Cardinals are going to watch the workouts of all the top players. As I have said before, I do not think Whisenhunt’s appearance at Newton’s workout should be taken to mean anything special.

63. By carlo7000 on Mar 19, 2011 | Reply

anyway our coach was really interested at newton workout.he was the only coach to ask him something.maybe is just a plan.show interest on him so if is there at 5 someone could trade up

64. By jdcrow59 on Mar 20, 2011 | Reply

I guess maybe it’s just me and” Big Red”. I saw the potential of a huge upside to Skelton. Since we know that a veteran will be brought in, just make it an open competition and give everyone a fair chance and I think Skelton will emerge as the guy. This team needs Defense and O-line help much more than a rookie quarterback . And if they are considering Bulger the o-line had better be a ton better that this past season. After the pounding that this guy took in the past I’m not sure he can ever return to the type of player he once was.

65. By levi corrales on Mar 20, 2011 | Reply

hey darren , why dont the cards just let john skelton play this year , i mean hes 2-2 as starter , he should just get his chance playing 16 games , how can he develope into a decent Qb on the bench , makes no sense , dont youh think they should work on our O-line , get a TE and let skelton improve on the field

66. By Dynasty on Mar 20, 2011 | Reply

Darren –

Do you think Orton is still in play? I know the Broncos have listed him as the starter, but I think this may be a smoke cloud to gain better trade offers for him. It appears as if the the Cardinals have a strong interest in Kolb. Ultimately, I just don’t think the Cardinals will give up as much as the Eagles want for him. Orton is the best option in my mind followed by Kolb. I don’t think Bulger, Palmer, or McNabb have enough gas in the tank. They are nowhere close to a Kurt Warner type. Do you think they are still considering Orton or have they marked him off the list similar to say a Vince Young?

67. By Scott H on Mar 20, 2011 | Reply

Darren –

The un-resolved CBA thing continues to put such an interesting spin on this whole thing for the Cardinals in regard to the QB situation…come draft day, IF there is still no access to trades ( Kolb? ) OR free ageny ( Bulger? ), don’t you think the Cards are in a position at that point where they pretty much have to take a QB??? Yeah, they may have access to Kolb or Bulger AFTER the draft but there are no guarantees of any of that right now. The ONLY sure opportunity they have right now to add a QB is through the draft. Other than that, what they have is John Skelton and….well, that’s pretty much it. Your thoughts?

Really, at this point, this is not about WHO anyone thinks the best option is for them at the QB position. It’s about the access that they have to those options right now OR between right now and the start of the season.

68. By Scott H on Mar 20, 2011 | Reply

Whiz knows more about being an NFL head coach than I do, but…I don’t understand having a blanket philosophy of not liking to play rookie QB’s. It would seem to me that those decisions should be based on what individuals QB’s appear capable of. Joe Flacco, Ben Rothelisberger, Matt Ryan, Mark Sanchez…they are all evidence that teams DO NOT have to wait for rookie QB’s to watch and learn behind a veteran. Clearly, some rookie QB’s SHOULD play right from the beginning. Don’t know if that is definitely true of any of the guys coming out this year. But I would like to believe that our head coach could be open to that possibility ( as opposed to stubbornly sticking with a Stiff like Derek Anderson because the coach thinks he gives us the best chance to win ).

69. By Darren Urban on Mar 20, 2011 | Reply

Levi —

RE: Skelton

It is an option.

70. By Darren Urban on Mar 20, 2011 | Reply

Dynasty —

RE: Orton

I do think he is a consideration right now. Where he ranks in terms of before/after Kolb or a free agent, I don’t know.

71. By Darren Urban on Mar 20, 2011 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: No CBA means QB

I don’t think that guarantees them drafting a QB. That’s a reason, for instance, DA is still on the roster. Do I think Anderson remains in 2011? No. But in a worst-case scenario, he is still around.

72. By Eazy E on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

Let’s just wait to the CBA gets done because many fans have stated their opinion on the qb position, me included.

73. By Eazy E on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

If the CBA ever gets done!

74. By drummer-1 on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

Why does everyone keep comparing any QB mention to come here to Kurt Warner, Kurt is gone let be.. Half of you didn’t want Kurt here in the first place.. lets support who ever the QB will be and move on..All this comparison is setting yourself for possible disappoinment.

75. By johnnybluenose on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

darren, like you, i was not impressed with gabbert wearing his ball hat backwards. i don’t care if his hair is long. to me, it looked like he wanted to try to look cool and i think he just ended up looking silly and juvenile. why didn’t he just wear a football helmet? that’s what he will wear in a game. i hope we don’t take a qb in the first round. i certainly hope peterson or miller is there for us. we need someone who can step in and play in 2011 not someone who is going to hold a clipboard on the sidelines all year. someone suggested that skelton should be our qb this year. i think he should be given the chance. and, i mean a real chance not what lineart was given last year which was no chance at all. someone also mentioned brady quinn. i think we should explore his availability and give him a chance too. he has had three years in the league now and hasn’t done a lot so far but you have to think he can play a bit and i don’t think he could be worse than DA or hall. i’m assuming of course that there will be a season this year, a full 16 game season, otherwise i’m not going to care at all.

76. By jose on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

i like john skelton. if he has good play from his offensive line, he will put up great numbers. i say we stack up on our defense. if the other team doesn’t score, i know skelton will. and we will win some games. GO CARDINALS!!!!!

77. By jocards on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

Come down on the guy for wearing a baseball cap backwards while throwing? Come on. Why not rip him for the color of his T-Shirt or for not wearing a “good guy” white hat rather than a “bad guy” black hat? Perhaps he should’ve shown up in a shirt and tie…Personally I don’t know whether drafting a QB with the #5 is a good idea or not for this team but I’m certain that drawing any meaningful conclusions about a guy based on the way he wears a baseball cap would be a mistake….

78. By Scott H on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

Darren –

Having DA remain on this roster would, indeed, be a worst case scenario! Ugh…that was not encouraging.

79. By Steve Lee on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

Gabbert had an “impactful” day? C’mon, Darren. it’s not even a word.

80. By brad oneill on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

on impactful. yes others have had their panties knotted by such discussions.

2. Mar 24, 2011: NFL Rumors - NFLTradeRumors.co