Again with the quarterbacks

Posted by Darren Urban on March 21, 2011 – 10:10 am

We can say there is nothing going on NFL-wise right now as the labor issues remain unsolved, but the speculation hasn’t stopped, especially when it comes to the most important position on the field. And since the Cards are searching for a quarterback, it’s not a surprise that when SI’s Peter King weighs in on the various possible veteran quarterback moves around the league, the Cards are part of the discussion.

King notes that a team is already willing to pony up a first-round pick for Kevin Kolb but that the Eagles are hoping to get a higher first-rounder. As my cohorts Matt Maiocco and Kent Somers have already tweeted this morning, it means it can’t be the 49ers or Cards making that offer. No way Andy Reid thinks he is getting better than seventh or fifth in the draft. Besides, I don’t think there is any way either of those teams parts with that high of a pick for Kolb. Does that rule out the Cards? No. Maybe the right package of picks would be of more interest to Philly. And who knows? The team that is offering that first-rounder is unknown for now — maybe it’s just Philly saying such things to spark a market.

(A market, of course, that is only talk until there is a new CBA since no player trades can be made.)

King also talks about Marc Bulger in Arizona, a notion that is anything but new. Kurt Warner did an interview with Chuck and Vince on KDUS (1060 AM) late last week and said he thinks his former teammate still has something left to give despite not playing very well since 2006. “The thing I look at, putting guys in certain systems and how does it fit their skill set,” Warner said. “If the Cardinals want to do what we did when I was there, I think Marc fits the bill extremely well.” Warner also said the Bengals QB Carson Palmer fits.

(By the way, it was asked of me this morning about King mentioning Max Hall today in his Bulger note. King wrote “coach Ken Whisenhunt … has not totally given up hope on Max Hall.” King doesn’t mention Skelton.While I think it’s fair to say Whisenhunt “has not totally given up hope” in regards to Hall, I do think it gives the impression Hall remains ahead of Skelton in the pecking order. I do not think that is the case.)

I don’t know what it will take for Palmer to be acquired, if the Bengals even are willing to trade him and not force him to make a retirement decision. And the idea of Kyle Orton isn’t absent either, although again, until we have a better idea of when this can all happen, we won’t get a true idea of if any of these things can happen.

Tags: , , , , , ,

50 Responses to “Again with the quarterbacks”

1. By carlo7000 on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

darren

do you know if king has some problem with whiskey or other substances???
    how can he say that ken didnt give up on hall
    i never seen a horrible player like him in my life

2. By HuskerChamp1 on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

Just do me one favor, DON’T DRAFT BLAINE GABERT

3. By brad oneill on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

Hall is a perfect example of why a lot of teams like to take their time developing qbs. the kid looked great in practice but had a real rough time in the games. the fan base has all but written him off even though most teams wouldn’t even consider starting an undrafted free agent qb in his rookie season.

There is no way that kind of pressure doesn’t eat away a little at his armor. I see no reason why Hall couldn’t develop into a very solid jeff garcia or even drew brees style qb. I don’t fault whiz for starting hall or hall for coming up a little short but as fans we should give the kid a little leeway.

4. By Matt in Philly on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

Can everyone stop sqwuaking about quarterbacks until we have more than two O-lineman under contract (and at least one that isn’t sub-par)? We could have Peyton Manning at this point, and he’d be out with a concussion by Week 3.

5. By lasalleboy on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

The Cards better do everything they can to get Kolb , and I agree with Wiz not to give up on Hall. If wiz gave up on Warner the cards fan base would have nothing to live for.

6. By SteveDCO on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

Brad…

You are right on with giving Max or any young QB time to grow. Very few are able to come in and win, look at Aikman and Manning. Big Ben won because of system and great D not becuase he was a great QB his 1st few years, same with Sanchez now.

There is a reason the most popular guy on every team is the back up QB (except DA in our case last year)

It’s the same reason the GM and coach are the most hated people on any struggling team.

Bulger/ Palmer/ Hasselback/ Orton….I can live with any of these people starting while Skelton is developed into a starting QB.

Take Miller or Peterson at #5 and we are ready to go. If they are both gone, you have to look at trading down which could happen as if both are gone there is a good chance both QBs are still on the board.

7. By Jonathan on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

Cam Newton Woul’d Be Pretty Awesome

8. By D on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

Pete King like alot of media has to fill up space right now, nothing concrete, just hype and guessing because we all know what the unknown is, what will AZ do this offseason at QB. The funny thing is that all of the media and so called experts have AZ and SF fighting for the same QB’s and whatever draft pick AZ doesn’t take, SF will…so AZ must consider all of the options knowing SF may counter it

9. By Peter in Canada on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

Brad- How does an NFL team develop QB’s? From what I gather they sit around watching film and then watch the incumbent QB get most of the practice reps. They only get four exhibition games and most of that is against guys who will at best be practice squadders. Moon,Garcia,Kapp and others were developed in the CFL but they have no player agreement with the NFL. The arena league could be a great place to groom QB’s (i.e. Warner) but again there is no working agreement. They need to resurrect NFL Europe or create a minor league or the QB’s will be given no chance at all or a small window of opportunity like Hall had and either succeed or fall by the wayside.

10. By Andre on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

I still blame this mess on Whiz’s dumb decision to cut Matt Leinart. I know his contract wasn’t good but how the hell can you put faith in Derek Anderson, who was horrible to begin with, and two backup ROOKIES of all things as a reasonable approach heading into the off-season. A reasonable approach would’ve been to restructure his contract so he could prove himself during the season. These decisions by Whiz over last year just screams ego or pride. Whiz even left DA in for so long it was embarrassing to watch the games. To me, that is a sign he takes a personal approach towards the game instead of putting up better players. Maybe Hall wouldn’t have been so exposed and thrown to the wolves. ML would’ve at least handle the situation a lot better once DA started stinking it up.

I just hope we don’t draft a QB. I know it makes sense(future-wise) to do so, and the possibility is very much there. However, we’d probably have to cut Hall and put Bartel or Skelton in the practice squad. Whoever isn’t in the practice squad would be a backup, along with a rookie, to whoever we sign or trade for as a stop-gap. Pretty ugly situation if you ask me, especially if you still favor Skelton, Bartel, or Hall.

11. By CZarr on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

Carlo7000,

Carlo7000,

Broken english and punctuation aside, do you have a problem with whiskey or other substances?

There have been myriad players that would have done worse in Hall’s situation. I am not a Hall fan by any means. In fact, I have a disdain for BYU in general, however, you have to keep in mind the guy was an undrafted quarterback shoved into a starting role less than 6 months after he joined the organization.

All things considered he displayed some admirable qualities and abilities, but was obviously unprepared and definately lacked the experience necessary to read and react to NFL calibre defenses.

12. By CZarr on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

As a side note, it makes me feel a lot better about Bulger if Warner is giving him the nod. I’d probably prefer Palmer, or even Orton, but obviously those are longer shots to obtain.

The idea of trading for Kolb makes me a bit nervous. I didn’t like how he looked on his 3 and 5 step drops in the pocket. He got those happy feet quite a bit and looked very tense.

I don’t see them making any substantial upgrades to the OLine this offseason, too many other areas to address. A QB that can stand tall and shake off some hits is going to be necessary. This was the one thing I liked about DA, damn, that guy could take a hit.

13. By steve88 on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

Peter King’s comment on Max Hall reveals a glaring hole on his supposed insider knowledge. To fans in Carolina or Atlanta etc..etc… it sounds reasonable. To fans in Arizona its a glaring “tell” that his knowledge is at best, suspect. It brings into question whether he really knows if a team offered a 1st round pick for Kevin Kolb. These type of , all to frequent, comments make the fans’ skepticism of a writer’s motivation that much more real. It seems to be wanton speculation. And one can only hope that it is as inocuous as that.

14. By John the draft guy on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

Max Hall is a short, Fragile, weakarmed QB who tries really hard. We all love the Rudys of the world, but this is your face of the franchise we are talking about. I’ve heard Chase Daniels as a comparison. That would be good for him to be able to be a 3rd string guy. I think That’s all he could ever hope to be.

As for real QB’s, I agree with you Darren that I don’t believe the Cards will part with a 5th overall pick for Kolb. 49ers ? maybe their 7th, but I’m not sold on that either. I think the niners may lock on Gabbert and trade up, giving Harbaugh a QB to groom. We will see.

Palmer is very interesting. I wonder if his better days are behind him. But he sure looked good when he was throwing to the young WRs at the end of the year. Maybe a change of scenery is what he needs.

Darren, What do you think gets Palmer? Obviously, there is the CBA issue, and the fact that the Bengals said they are not trading him. But just speculating, play GM, will it take a 2nd or could you get him for say a package of a 3rd and forth? (like Boldin went for last year)

15. By azcardinalfan on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

hahahahaha eagles want a top pick for kevin kolb man they just want him to stay in the eagles.

Darren

do you believe that max hall is better than john skelton and if so why?

16. By emm7777 on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

Skelton! Skelton! Skelton! You will all see…

17. By Darren Urban on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

John the draft guy —

RE: Palmer

It’s hard to judge. He is obviously on the downside and his salaries the next couple of seasons are in the double-digit millions, which drives his value down. But QBs are in demand, so a second rounder may be necessary.

18. By Darren Urban on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

azcardinalfan —

RE: Skelton v Hall

I believe Skelton is a better prospect and I think, with Skelton’s playing time at the end of the season, he should be higher on the depth chart.

19. By ross on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

Darren…I may be the only one, but enough speculation on qbs. Just kidding, kind of.

What’s the second most important need for this team in your opinion?

Go richmond spiders!

20. By K-DUB on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

What is the scenario if the judge rules in favor of the players and stops the lockout? Does FA and OTA’s begin?

21. By Darren Urban on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

Ross —

RE: Second biggest need

Pass rush. Period.

22. By Darren Urban on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

K-Dub —

RE: Lockout law

I don’t think it is going to be as simple as that. Once things get in the courtroom, there are usually appeals to deal with one way or another. To be honest, I am not sure exactly what will happen.

23. By jocards on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

Darren

The problem with acquiring a QB like Kolb, Palmer, Orton, Bulger, etc. is that we can’t without a CBA in place. How much impact is the lack of a CBA apt to have on the team’s draft strategy? I mean do they just go in with the same outlook as they would under normal circumstances? Teams with a lot of needs to fill seem to be at a distinct disadvantage lacking the ability to address any of those needs prior to the draft.

24. By Mark on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

Go Skelton!

25. By Darren Urban on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

jocards —

RE: Draft before CBA

I can only by what I have been told, which is they insist they will draft the same way they would have under normal circumstances. I don’t believe they will take a bigger risk on a QB at 5 just because they haven’t been able to trade for/sign a veteran.

26. By Paul H on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

It’s interesting to note that sometimes when McNabbs’s name comes up in regards to the Cards, people mention that he is a “west coast offense ” guy and that isn’t a fit for the Cards offense. But when Kolb is mentioned about coming to the Cards no one seems to mention that he is also a “west coast offense” guy.

27. By Scott H on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

I don’t see how Hall could POSSIBLY be ahead of Skelton on the Cards depth chart. Granted, neither guy had a whole lot of playing time, but Skelton certainly showed more during the time he got. And it may be water under the bridge, but the fact that neither of these guys had a lot of playing time last year just puts a huge exclamation point on how ENTIRELY TOO DAMN MUCH TIME was wasted on Derek Anderson. And I will never forgive this coaching staff for that. We were going NOWHERE with Anderson when we needed to be seeing what we had in either of the young guys. And look where we are now going into next year – Anderson is gone ( gee, big friggin surprise there, right? ) and Hall and Skelton remain huge question marks. The mistakes of 2010 could have a huge impact on 2011. And for what it’s worth, I was saying all of this by the midway point of last year. It shouldn’t have been done as it was.

There, I feel better.

28. By carlo7000 on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

CZarr
    i am really sorry my english is terrible i am from milano italy and unfortunatly english is not our language but i am probably one of the few who likes nfl here and root for cardinals.. i have watched all the matches of arizona since 2002.i dont say i am right but i think max hall is really far from being a football player

29. By Marcelosdmf on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

hey Darren,

I still have a huge faith on Skelton as 2011’s starting position… what are the chances of having him such that?

But Bulger I can´t see a promisable quarterback to be drafted or signed, the ones avaiable, most are rookies and the ones who aren´t they are as old as Warner which means but Kolb, Arizona is not hiring a franchise QB. I hope Skelton has the balls to develop himself in such way where we can see what he is capable of…. Among him (JS), Newton, Gabbert and Hall, I’d rather him….we may go throught another tough year, but this way you are making 2012 a helluva year.

30. By John on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

What we also forget about hall , is that he has relatively small hands for a pro qb.Hence the fumbles and major in accurate passes.
    Skeleton would be a good back up right now to learn more in his progression.
    The Cards could and should draft a qb in the 2nd round. Some good qbs would still be there.
    As for McNabb, he has spent his entire 12 years in a West Coast O, where as Kolb has only been in the system for 4(19 total games). It’s a little easier for Kolb with the least experience to adjust to a new system in my mind.

31. By brad oneill on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

word has it that someone has offered the eagles a number one for Kolb. my first thought is I wonder if the patriots offered their later pick for kolb in the hopes of trading kolb for some later picks and possibly an important piece of their puzzle.

32. By wayne on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

if we dont have a 2011 season is it really gonna matter who we have at QB

33. By John the draft guy on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

I was just reminded of a QB who played for the Eagles. He played a couple of games and became a very hot commodity. When he joined another team, he didn’t do so well.

So, what’s the chances that Andy Reid has another A.J. Feely on his hands?

Just not buying Kolb.

34. By Travis McCollum on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

Do you Know if the Coach did anything to help John and Max before the lockout. Like giving them something to study or film to watch or both.

35. By Big Red on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

Max hall will never be a NFL QB, period. Why even bother talking about him. Im sorry for the kid but he’s not pro material. Skelton, will surprise alot of none believers. We will be watching the making of a super star this coming season, mark my word. Skelton and Bartel, for sure should make the team and of course some veteran. Hall can go to dallas and fight for the job with lomo

36. By Scott H on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

carlo7000-
    Welcome to America, and welcome aboard the Cardinals bandwagon!

37. By tracy redding on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

IVE ALWAYS DISLIKED MARC BULGER.I KNEW HE WASNT THE QB FOR THE RAMS.HALL OF FAMER KURT WARNER THINKS BULGER COULD BE THE RIGHT KEY TO THE CARDS SUCCESS ? I DONT LIKE IT…….. BUT I WILL SWALLOW MY PRIDE. GO CARDS 2011

38. By brad oneill on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

carlo glad to see a fan from the other side of the world. i was born here and still haven’t figured out all the grammar rules yet. :)

39. By Darren Urban on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

Marcelo —

RE: Skelton starting in 2011

I am not ruling it out, but at this point I believe a veteran TBA is more likely.

40. By Darren Urban on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

Travis —

RE: Help

I do not.

41. By Canadian Red Bird on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

Kolb:

What is Andy Reid supposed to say in order to create more hype around a guy who has shown nothing to command a third rounder let alone a first. Could you maybe believe that Mr. Reid might not be telling the truth. I can’t understand how so many Card fans are that enamoured with Kolb and prepared to do anything to put him in Red and White. Talk about putting our franchise back a few more years. In the draft, the only way that I see the Cards taking Gabbert is that if Miller& Peterson are gone, and they are unsuccessful in trading down.

42. By drummer-1 on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

@ lasalleboy.. you use the word better, i ask you what will happen if they don’t go after Kolb, i don’t understand why people keep saying they better it’s not like YOU can do anything too them..

@ Scott H..I’m glad you feel better, now Leinarts gone let’s stop talkin about it and look ahead, besides who to say he would have been any better..

43. By AndyStandsUp on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

Much has been said about trading Kolb for the 5th pick, which most common sense people say no way. But what about Palmer? Would that provide enough value for Mike Brown to trade him? Would that be too much for the Cards?

44. By Ydwor on Mar 22, 2011 | Reply

Carlo.. Ur not alone! Look here another Red Bird from the old continent: Madrid, Spain.

And I think there are other issues that should be addressed first than the QB spot. For example, how about defense being unable to stop the opponents running play most games last year. It looked awfull..

45. By brad oneill on Mar 22, 2011 | Reply

Travis-Hall and Skelton probably felt like they just got assigned homework over Christmas break. i am sure they were given enough stuff to keep them busy even if the lockout goes until 2015.

46. By Barry on Mar 22, 2011 | Reply

By Matt in Philly on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

————————–
    AGREED! If you don’t fix the line it doesn’t matter about the QB…he’s toast!! last year was a joke in that respect..Not one lineman was decent out there. There were blown assignments all over the place.

-B

47. By CZarr on Mar 22, 2011 | Reply

Carlo7000,

Well, now I feel like a jerk. lol

48. By FightON on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

Carson would never play for Arizona, not now, if he’s not traded where he wants to go, he’ll retire.

49. By Darren Urban on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

FightON —

RE: Palmer

Because why? Are you saying since Leinart didn’t work out Palmer would refuse to come in some kind of twisted USC loyalty? Please tell me you are joking.

The reports are Palmer wants to play in the West. There are only a few teams in the West that need a QB: Az, SF, Oak, maybe Sea. I don’t think he’s going to chop out a potential suitor like that.

2. Mar 21, 2011: Top Posts — WordPress.com