Cards work out Gabbert

Posted by Darren Urban on March 23, 2011 – 1:06 pm

There has been much talk about who the Cards are going to work out privately leading into the draft. One guy was Missouri quarterback Blaine Gabbert. On the way back from the league meetings in New Orleans, a group of Cardinals — owner Bill Bidwill, president Michael Bidwill, general manager Rod Graves, coach Ken Whisenhunt and director of player personnel Steve Keim — stopped in Missouri to have dinner with Gabbert Tuesday night and then worked him out this morning.

Does it mean Gabbert’s the guy at No. 5? Of course not. I’d guess this isn’t the only workout planned for the top-echelon players. But clearly, Gabbert is in the mix for consideration.

Tags: , , , , , ,

75 Responses to “Cards work out Gabbert”

1. By harlanlee on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

Talk about a Power Lunch (or Dinner). Young Mr. Gabbert had them all in the same room, at the same table. If any verbal selling needed to be done — well, it just does not get much better. Unless Gabbert’s agent screws this thing up, the Cardinals may have identified and engaged their number one prospect for #5. Go, Cards!

2. By brad oneill on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

if bidwill bought him dinner its a lock. ha haha.

3. By Phoenixraven1 on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

I like this guy, not sure he’s worth the top QB like he’s going to get but glad Cards are checking all options. Dam CBA could really change how teams draft…

4. By carlo7000 on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

darren,
    could you tell who are the players on the mix for you

5. By R Robles on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

Von Miller, Peterson, if there gone then Gabbert and if all 3 are gone? Darren who do you think we might go after?

6. By Darren Urban on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

Carlo –

RE: “In the mix”

I assume you are asking who I think are the most likely to be drafted. Right now, as my unscientific speculative self, I’d put Miller, Peterson, Gabbert in there.

7. By Darren Urban on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

R Robles –

RE: If all 3 are gone

That’s a good question, isn’t it? Right now, I don’t know.

8. By VictorL87 on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren wil the cards will draft a tight end in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

9. By Darren Urban on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

Victor –

RE: TE

I have no idea. Maybe.

10. By Gang6230 on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren but if gabbert is picked by the cards that should mean Anderson and hall are out right. ??

11. By Darren Urban on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

Gang6230 –

RE: Gabbert picked/QB roster

Someone would be out, yes. I have said all along I don’t expect Anderson to return.

12. By Jeff on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

Gross.

13. By matt on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

if miller and peterson are on the board and the cards go with gabbert that will be a sad day in cardinals football.

14. By DoblerFan on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

Now if he showed up for dinner with his hat backwards, well that would be an issue.

15. By cardsfan007 on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

GET CAM NEWTON, HE IS THE FUTURE!!!!

16. By Darren Urban on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

DoblerFan –

RE: Backward hat

Sources familiar with the situation said Gabbert was hat-less at dinner.

But he did wear his pants backwards.

17. By D on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

I think there is interest, but also the fact Michael probably flew his own plane and Mr. B loves those good eating places in MO, so it’s a good stop coming back from the Big Easy –I say Gabbert would be behind Miller and Peterson and if they can’t trade down in the draft…then take him

18. By Dazz on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

Just wait till he finds out they’re docking the dinner from his signing bonus..

19. By Phoenixraven1 on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

Go Go Gabbert!

20. By Scott H on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

Glad to see they are taking a look at Gabbert and maybe a few others. I don’t know Gabbert from Adam because I don’t follow college ball. But the CBA situation could very well mean that the draft is where the Cards are going to have to find their next QB. If that is the case, best to be as prepared as possible.

21. By Mike Ellingboe on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

@R Robles,

To throw out an unsolicited thought if Gabbert, Peterson, and Miller are off the board I’m guessing DaQuan Bowers – I think he would probably be higher on the board than Peterson.

22. By Mike Ellingboe on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

@Darren,

I guess this must have been the mystery meeting the Columbia, MO press was reporting would take place at his pro day.

23. By Bill L on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

I don’t think Gabbert will be there at 5…….Newton could be. This year or next they HAVE TO get a QB. Do they expect to be worse next year?…..I hope not, but if they keep the OL, and whoever they get in FA at QB gets hurt early they very well could be, but they shouldn’t gamble on it. If an NFL QB is available they have to take him………sit him a year……and try and get an OL B4 they put him on the field and ruin him.

Speaking of QBs, Matt got a mention from Mayock on NFL TV……he and Russell, while discussing Cam, and worries about his work ethic. Mayock says the only reason Matt is not a force in the NFL is the work ethic……I would add, Whiz…..and hopefully Matt has erased that at Houston and Kubiak will give him a good reference on ALL accounts. I would still like to see Matt at SF and pick it up from his injury. Maybe it was Matt…….Maybe it was Whiz…..Maybe it was Matt with Whiz…….but, I think he can and wants to be an NFL force…..and a decent OL wouldn’t hurt.

24. By keko jones on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

Peterson if he is there!!!

25. By Eric Randall on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

stupid………..thats exactly what the Cards will be if they blow another first round pick and draft Gabbert with their #5 pick……Whisenhunt better find a new job if he does this….After lockout Cards need to trade for Kolb or pick up McNabb or maybe both. Gabbert is probably going to be a BUST….definately not the answer the CARDS need. A better grab in the draft would be Ryan Mallett in the second round….CARDS could easily pick him up in second and he more NFL ready then Gabbert. Mallett maybe a little immature but those are kinks that can be worked out. Cards need to focus that #5 pick on Von Miller or Patrick Peterson……Cards could end up with the best secondary in the league.

26. By brad oneill on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

the good news is either gabbert, Newton, Peterson, MIller, amukamura, bowers, locker will be available no matter what. So there will be a shot at a very good prospect.

personally i am hoping for miller or peterson but if everyone in front of us decides to sidestep the qbs and those guys are gone i dont think Gabbert would be a terrible consolation prize.

27. By Chris Lewis on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

If we draft Gabbert or any other QB at #5, we better plan on starting him right away, because we don’t have a veteran QB good enough to take us anywhere. We can’t afford to groom a rookie QB again like we did with Leinart, and we can’t afford to draft someone at #5 and not start him right away. We either need to make sure we’re confident enough with drafting a QB at #5 pick and throw him in there to see what he has, or sign a FA QB after the CBA gets resolved (I hope to God it’s not Bulger). We need to win now. We can’t go through another disastrous season like last year.

28. By drummer-1 on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

@Chris Lewis…. you keep saying ( WE ) are you on the team. I just looked on the team roster and didn’t see a Chris Lewis anywhere…

29. By Richard S. on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

Gabbert liked to hit the tight end a lot at Mizzou. He had two good ones.

30. By DALY- BIG TING POPPIN on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

@ darren “O THOU HYPOCRITE” ;)

1) Von Miller OLB
    2) Benjamin Iljalana G
    3) James Carpenter T
    3) Niles Paul WR (reminds me of Boldin)
    4) Casey Matthews ILB
    5) Andre Smith TE
    6) Henry Hynoski FB
    6) Jeron Johnson SS

Michael, Rod, Ken make it happen

31. By brad oneill on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

its funny drummer i used to be real cautious about using the term we when referring to the cardinals because i thought it was presumptive to assume as a fan I am somehow a part of the organization. but after time i decided what the hell the only people that would be offended by someone taking ownership of their favorite team would have to be petty small minded idiots so I stopped worrying about it.

32. By Steve on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

Darren: I heard “the professor” John Clayton on the radio the other day and he said the Cards and Eagles could possibly swap 1st round picks, Eagles getting our 5th overall for their pick at 23 as compensation for Kevin Kolb. Do you think that scenario is possible? Probably would have to throw in a 3rd or 4rth rounder too, right?

33. By Bill L on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

WIN NOW????? Impossible!!! And to throw someone like Gabbert to the Wolves coming thru the OL is truly a waste of a pick. Either he or Newton need a season………atleast 1/2 a season…..to get up to speed. A TOTAL WASTE to throw someone like that to the Wolves. Build up the OL this year and next atleast before putting him out there. The Cards stunk on O……and it wasn’t just the QB, although they were pathetic. But, it’s a tough call …….just what was the WORST part of the O…….the QB or the OL?

34. By Darren Urban on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

Steve –

RE: Kolb swap

I could see that as possible and yes, I’d think it might take another pick. Again, that’s only possible if the CBA is settled before the draft, however.

35. By Big Red on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

Whiz is very smart, he just wanted to study and compare how bright Gabbert really is. He’s doing his comparison with Skelton. Skelton will be starting the season, just wait and see.

36. By CardsFTW on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

I think this is smart in case he is on the board. But I’d rather the cards take Von Miller than try to either draft Mallett even if that means trading up!

37. By AndyStandsUp on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

IF the Panthers, Bills and Bengals are thinking about drafting a QB and the Cards are probably the team with the biggest need at that position, it would make sense to preview a potential player. But as Keim and Graves have said, he would have to be a perceived franchise QB. (And personally, I think NO.)
    Nice backhanded insult from Brad!

38. By John the draft guy on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

I think college production must come into play when drafting . Lets look at Gabbert vs Mallott

Gabbert:
    had a 63% completion ratio. His yards per attempt was only 6.71. He ended up with 16 tds and 9 picks. Some startling stats are passes over 15 yards, he was only 30% comp ratio on. Also, on 3rd and 8-10 yards to go, he was 8-24 with a 52% QB rating and 3.25 yards per attempt. These stats are not overwelming and should be concerning to the Card brass.

compare them to Mallott, who is considered the 4th QB to be taken and considered a late 1st or early 2nd round guy.

Mallott
    64.6% comp ratio, 31 tds to 12 ints. Mallott lead all college with 62 passes comp over 30 yds or more over last 2 years. He had a 9.5 yards per pass attempt. Remember this is against the SEC. 9.5 is huge.

Gabbert will look good running around in shorts, but too many questions. His productions drops dramatically when pushing the ball down field (something the Warner Cards loved to do). I see Gabbert more in the mode of Alex Smith. Funny, Smith was a spread QB also.

5th pick, Gabbert? I just dont see it. Von Miller just makes so much more sense. If Miller is not there, trade down with Houston who may come up to get Prince and land Aldon Smith.

39. By Phoenixraven1 on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

Come on stupid CBA…here is to hoping the judge says business as usual for lockout issue for FA’s and trades!!!

40. By Dynasty on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

Darren – The assumption is that the Cards will draft defense with the #5 pick based on last year’s performance, needs on the team, and strength of defensive players in this year’s draft. While we do need some key additions on the defense, I believe many Cards fans feel the way I do in that a new Defensive Coordinator and new schemes with the existing players should immediately improve our overall defensive performance. With that being said, and considering who may be drafted in the 1-4 slots, do you think the Cards are considering the possibility of taking AJ Green at the #5 spot, especially considering the unknown with Breaston?

41. By Eazy E on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

Noooooooooooooooooo!! We better have cam and patrick set up. I believe we’ve already had von in for a workout. No Blaine, cam, von, or patrick. Don’t think blaine is all that good.

42. By Eazy E on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

That kolb trade would be a horrible move!

43. By Darren Urban on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

Dynasty –

RE: AJ Green

As I have said a few times, I would be stunned if they took a WR at No. 5.

44. By drummer-1 on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

@brad oneill… now why would you call me an idiot, did i say anything to you, only small minded people would resort to name calling…

45. By brad oneill on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

Aj Green scored a 10 on his wonderlick test. and Peterson scored a 9 according to fox sports. if that is true there is no way we should waste a number 5 pick on them.

You have to seriously question if a person with a score that low can grasp nfl offenses and defenses. or if they will require special handling by the coaching staff.

46. By This Guy on Mar 24, 2011 | Reply

I say no thanks on Gabbart. We should go for Miller or Peterson. I believe that if we draft Gabbart then we would be back in the same boat as last year. As all the experts have said none of the QBs this year are starter worthy like the years before. I support Juanito Skelton !

47. By Eazy E on Mar 24, 2011 | Reply

Hey darren, I didn’t know you knew about kris kross!

48. By DoblerFan on Mar 24, 2011 | Reply

Touche’ Darren, Touche’!
    I consider myself an optimist and believe the CBA will be worked out sooner than later. But after putting some faith in the fact WE might actually draft a franchise QB I had to try to invision what Team decision makers must be going through. They must plan for 1st – no CBA and 2nd – a new CBA.
    Are they content with Skelton, Hall, Bartel, or Anderson for a complete season. I think not. So now they look to find a QB with the ability to be able to help this year. I can’t blame them. Even if the CBA gets done before the season, it ‘s not the worst situation in the world having a possible franchise QB to groom. Is it Gabbert, who’s to know. But I what I do now is we have a staff in place to figure this out and if they make a hit we will praise them and if they strike out, well, it will be fun to complain.
    BTW- I personally I think its just draft postering.

Lets say Gabbert, Newton, Miller, & Peterson ara all gone when we pick. Who would you pick or try to do?

49. By Fresh Talks on Mar 24, 2011 | Reply

If it cost us the 5th pick of course it’ll be horrible. What happend when we drafted Levi Brown? …….. San Fran picked up P. Willis & he is a beast. Something we need because I believe our Defense is Good (Cards Fan). That’s why we can’t ler Von Miller get away for Kolb. I am surprised that nobody talks about Vince Young, he would be the perfect pick up for us. He can scramble & he is a winner both in College & Nfl.

50. By cardsalltheway on Mar 24, 2011 | Reply

Do you know what the stat equivalence is for an NFL preseason quarterback to a MLB preseason pitcher with a 9.88 ERA?

51. By andres on Mar 24, 2011 | Reply

bulgers story is a lot like warners playing on the rams and being a good qb for them. then the draft someone better and release them picked up by another team(ravens and giants) then back in free agency and the cards get him. then all of the sudden they are beasts. if bulger turns into that ill take him.

52. By cardsalltheway on Mar 24, 2011 | Reply

Dazz,
    That was a good one!
    ohh ooh ahh ahh … oohh oooh AAHHHH eee eeeeeeeeeeee

53. By Darren Urban on Mar 24, 2011 | Reply

Eazy E –

RE: Kris Kross knowledge

I am older, but not old … ;)

54. By Darren Urban on Mar 24, 2011 | Reply

DoblerFan –

RE: Draft possibility

If those four are gone — and I’m not sure Newton is in the mix in the first place — I may look to trade down.

55. By Darren Urban on Mar 24, 2011 | Reply

cardsalltheway –

RE: stat equal

I assume I am supposed to set up your punchline here?

56. By jocards on Mar 24, 2011 | Reply

@ andres

I know what you’re saying with the Bulger/Warner story and I’m not saying Bulger wouldn’t be a decent pick up for the Cardinals but there are a lot of issues, major issues that are vastly different between the two. Warner had led his team to the Superbowl twice, winning one and been the league’s MVP before he ever signed with the Cardinals. Bulger…he’s been the QB of the Rams in the past…The two are/were however comfortable running the same system and both are/were rather accurate passers…most important I think Bulger could be had for a reasonable price (if a CBA ever gets done).

57. By t.c. on Mar 24, 2011 | Reply

Darren, Am I way off base in wondering if Ryan Fitzpatrick could be a potential target for the Cards? He’s an Arizona native who has put up reasonably good numbers with poor resources and is somebody with whom the Buffalo franchise seems less than enthusiastic.

58. By Voice of Reason on Mar 24, 2011 | Reply

If it takes the #5 and a pick to get Kolb, or a third round pick to get Carson Palmer, or nothing to sign Marc Bulger, than please DO NOT TRADE FOR KOLB. It isn’t remotely worth the extra consideration.

DO NOT GET ENAMORED WITH A PLAYER. Do the cost/benefit analysis with multiple possibilities, and the choice will become easy.

59. By We Missed Q on Mar 24, 2011 | Reply

Freshtalks, have you ever watched the NFL? Vince Young QUIT ON HIS TEAM, twice, then told his coach, Jeff Fisher who is one os the most respected inthe league to f himself. He is immature, and NO PASSER. Yes he has a decent record, but that was due to Tennesee not his passing skills, but in spite of them. Whiz has proven he needs a good pocket passer, which is the opposite of Vince Young.

60. By Darren Urban on Mar 24, 2011 | Reply

T.C.

RE: Fitzpatrick

You’d have to trade, because he is under contract in 2011.

61. By John the draft guy on Mar 24, 2011 | Reply

A great article on Christian Ponder. I’ve been praising the kid for a month now. If the Cards want to draft a QB, this is the kid.Here is just a couple of comments from the article on CBS sports.

The conventional thinking is that the top two are Auburn’s Cam Newton and Missouri’s Blaine Gabbert.

I’m thinking that Florida State’s Christian Ponder might be changing that.

“He’s pushing it,” one NFL coach said. “I think he’s ahead of Newton.”

After dissecting both Ponder’s junior and senior tapes the past week, I wouldn’t argue. Ponder’s junior tape, which came before he was bothered by arm troubles as a senior, is as good as anybody’s in this draft. His senior tape clearly isn’t as good, but it’s not bad. You could just see there were some troubles with the arm.

Ponder has spent the past month showing the arm is fine. He was named MVP at the Senior Bowl and then threw well at both the combine and his pro day at FSU.

New England has been know to trade out of the first round for more picks would be a nice trade partner. Go Miller with the 5th and trade back into the first for Ponder.

62. By John the draft guy on Mar 24, 2011 | Reply

Here is the link to the ponder Article

BTW, Mike Mayock has elevated Ponder to 5th QB and a late 1 early 2.

Pete Prisco is the author and finishes with this;

Even so, the arm concerns seemed to drop his stock, with some suggesting he might be a third-round pick.

That isn’t happening now. It would be surprising if he doesn’t go in the first round.

It would be a mistake if a quarterback-needy team in the middle of the first round didn’t take Ponder.

He just might end up being the best quarterback in this class.

Something to chew on.

63. By t.c. on Mar 24, 2011 | Reply

Any chance Mallet falls to 38?

64. By brad oneill on Mar 24, 2011 | Reply

vince Young scored a 6 on the wonderlic test. that borders on retarded. and by borders i mean its almost not retarded.

65. By Darren Urban on Mar 24, 2011 | Reply

T.C. –

RE: Mallett falling

I think there is a large chance. Big question marks about that guy right now.

66. By John L on Mar 24, 2011 | Reply

Got to say all Mallotts questions are surrounded around attitude and drug use. This is one of those cases you just talked about in the new post, that the media and such have no idea what is going on in the interviews.
    Mallott could be the first qb or slip to the 3rd depending on what teams find.
    Agree?

67. By Darren Urban on Mar 24, 2011 | Reply

John L –

RE: Mallett

No one questioned Ryan Leaf’s raw talent either. That other stuff, if teams believe it to be true, matters.

Agree that no one knows for sure on Mallett.

68. By Eazy E on Mar 24, 2011 | Reply

Brad-

Wonderlic test doesn’t mean anything. Patrick and A.J. are elite blue chip prospects. Who cares honestly but you? Both of those guys are top 5 on everybody’s board. They aint taking a test on the field. Patrick aint taking a test when he is going up for a pick. A.J. aint taking a test when he is mossin or fitzin some corner for a td. Marino and Bradshaw had 15′s on that stupid test and they are hall of famers. Donovan reportedly made a 12 or something like that on his and he’s a borderline hall of famer and will be one at the end of his career with a little bit more on his resume like a super bowl ring which he will get hopefully in a cardinal uniform. c’mon man.

69. By Matt S on Mar 24, 2011 | Reply

I think they’ve gotta go for Miller, the dude is freakishly talented. It would be nice to have the CBA figured out so we could look for a QB somewhere other than the draft.

70. By ddoggphx on Mar 25, 2011 | Reply

By drummer-1 on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

——————–

This is the most whiny, annoying type of comment and it deserves to be called out. Whether Chris uses “they’ or “we” is irrelevant to his point. You deciding to only reference that is very tiny, and shows a lack of an ability to see beyond black and white. No, Chris is not on the team, but to Chris the team is more than a bunch of dudes running around making a million dollars that he isn’t connected to. He is part of the fanbase; he is part of the revenue stream; he is a guy who probably lives and dies with the team’s result. HE is WE and THEY are WE and WE are WE and WE are all together. You seem to be left out, sorry about that Eggman.

WE do this together doesn’t mean the team, it means the team and the fanbase. I don’t really think the Cards spent all that ad money promoting a We Do This Together motto, using fans and players together, in order to just mean those that are paid by the team.

YOU can continue to scoff at people who wrap themselves up in this franchise, and WE can continue to consider ourselves members of the Cardinals family. As a season ticket holder, I most definitely have been part of the WE that helped kick some tail at home games by being loud and proud. WE are pretty good at making it hard for the other team, if you haven’t heard Whis talk about it before.

/pet peeve rant

71. By cardsalltheway on Mar 26, 2011 | Reply

By Darren
    T.C.
    RE: Fitzpatrick
    “You’d have to trade, because he is under contract in 2011.”
    That’s it Darren, I agree we should trade Fitz. Whether a player like T.O. calls for the ball or one like Fitz, the thing is it doesn’t spread postive energy. A player calling for the ball isn’t much different than the elephant in the room(MUST GET FITZ THE BALL). It should be an easy and normal thing to get Fitz the ball, but since the Cards/Ken W. weren’t able to maximize his skills then I say trade him. I saw a disgruntled player in Fitz on the field and sidelines(not his fault) and I don’t want to see it again. Getting Fitz the ball is just too difficult for Ken W., it’s another thing on his “to do” list and I feel better when Ken W. doesn’t have much on his “to do” list.

72. By Chris Lewis on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

This is for “ddoggphx”. Thanks for sticking up for me man. Us true Cards fans with more than half a brain have to stick together. It’s just sad we have to defend ourselves against our own so-called fellow fans. It’s dummies like drummerboy that make the rest of us look bad. This idiot didn’t even bother to comment on the actual statement I made about the team. I live near St. Louis, so I don’t get to go to any home games, but I’ve been following the Cards since they were in St. Louis, and I don’t have to tell you, they haven’t had too many successful seasons over the past 30 years. But, I stuck with them because, I’m sure you feel the same way, they’re our team no matter what. Like you said, with my many years of dedication through many heartbreaking seasons, I feel that I have a right to say WE, OUR, US or whatever else. Small-minded people like drummerboy doesn’t deserve to call himself a Cards fan, or a football fan for that matter. He’s probably really a Cowboys fan. Ha Ha! Anyway, if drummerboy or any other idiot says something stupid about your or any other true fan’s comments, I got all your backs. GO CARDS!!!

2. Mar 23, 2011: Sports Review