Less Dockett means more Dockett?

Posted by Darren Urban on March 23, 2011 – 11:34 am

A little earlier today, Darnell Dockett tweeted out this message to the world: “ONE of my weakness is I have to rotate EARLY in the game! I feel like I can’t come out but watching this film its to my advantage that I do!” It’s an interesting self-evaluation by the Pro Bowl defensive lineman, and one that speaks to the importance of depth.

While Dockett did make the Pro Bowl as an alternate, there is little question is impact was not as great in 2010 as it had been in 2009 (Dockett still had five sacks, five quarterback pressures, 11 quarterback hits and three fumble recoveries this past season). When you have a high-end player, you’d rather have him out there. And Dockett isn’t the kind of guy who wants to sit either, something I am sure probably was ramped up even more after he signed his large contract extension.

But if he can rotate out more early in games, that could make a difference late in games. Again, depth will be a factor — as of now, defensive linemen Bryan Robinson, Gabe Watson, Kenny Iwebema and Alan Branch are not under contract for 2011 — but shuffling Dockett is a good idea. The fact it came from Dockett himself might even be more important. The self-awareness to see weaknesses is always a good thing.

Tags: , , , ,

9 Responses to “Less Dockett means more Dockett?”

1. By K-DUB on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

Wasn’t Gabbert scheduled for a workout today?

2. By D on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

This is why they need to resign branch when they can.good to hear DD is watching film

3. By brad oneill on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

i had similar thoughts about da last year. sorry i know that is piling on.

4. By Phoenixraven1 on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

I thought Branch came on strong and much more consistent than his past seasons…he could get a lot of playing time spelling both DD and CC!

5. By AndyStandsUp on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

What’s your position on the players unsigned, Darren? In what is a strong spot could be a weak link if Robinson retires and Watson and Iwebema are not re-signed. Branch performed well in a contract year and I worried if the “light bulb will go off” if guaranteed a new deal.

6. By Eazy E on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

We need to keep our excellent depth on the d-line.

7. By Darren Urban on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Unsigned DL

I think they would make a run at Branch and Iwebema. I think Robinson likely retires.

8. By cardsalltheway on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

I hope it didn’t take this long for D. Dockett to figure this out and accept. However, even the best trained defensive players with the most endurance would’ve had to come out as much as the Card defense had to play last year due to the countless 3-and-outs converted by the Card offense last year. Fix the offensive line, teach the QB to hand-the-ball-off / RB’s to get the handoff, and you automatically fix the defense. Go get em Darnell.

2. Mar 24, 2011: PFT: Sean Payton has one big regret from 2010 | Sport News