Not all Madden choices created equal

Posted by Darren Urban on March 24, 2011 – 10:50 am

This year, EA Sports has decided to make a contest out of who will be their cover photo for this year’s version of the Madden football video game. Given the past season, I guess I assumed Aaron Rodgers was a shoo-in for Madden ’12, but no, Rodgers is just one of 32 candidates — one from every team. It’s also set up in bracket form, so we aren’t just talking about the total number of votes.

There are many cover possibilities that make sense — Rodgers, Matt Ryan, DeMarcus Ware, Patrick Willis, Adrian Peterson, Julius Peppers, Andre Johnson — and others that I look at and think, ‘A good player, but a cover?’ — guys like Peyton Hillis, Jake Long, Josh Freeman. There are repeat candidates, guys who have already been on the cover before, like Drew Brees, Michael Vick and, for the Cardinals, Larry Fitzgerald.

But just when you find a couple of head-scratchers (The Bengals’ Carlos Dunlap, the Bills’ Steve Johnson, the Patriots’ Danny Woodhead, Tim Tebow?) you end up freezing on the option for Seattle. Apparently, they have no player worthy of the honor, at least none important enough to usurp “The 12th Man” — the name the Seahawks give to their crowd (which yes, can be very loud, but is generally a non-factor if the team is lousy — just like any other crowd).

The 12th Man faces the aforementioned Willis in the first round, so I’d guess Willis will be the one to advance there. But still, the Qwest crowd? Really? Not, oh, maybe Mike Williams? Marshawn Lynch?

Besides, how exactly does the Madden curse affect that group — I’d be afraid of a natural disaster on game day.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

18 Responses to “Not all Madden choices created equal”

1. By Ed Scaife on Mar 24, 2011 | Reply

Darren– after reading your article above, I was thinking the headline should’ve read, “Not all Madden curses created equal” HA~!

2. By ross on Mar 24, 2011 | Reply

No Hightower??? Come on.

3. By jocards on Mar 24, 2011 | Reply

True….How do you curse an entire group of fans in the Pacific Northwest? I know, sign DA as your QB! Talk about a disaster!

4. By #1CardinalFan on Mar 24, 2011 | Reply

-jocards
    Good One! Hilarious!
    I honestly think that since Fitz, Brees, and Vick were already on the cover they shouldn’t be candidates and I think Feely would be a great one for Arizona, BUT I also think that we have others like LSH and Skelton maybe, and surely Rhodes. Come on, Rhodes had an unbelievable season, averaging 43.5 yards on 4 interceptions with a career long of 66 yards, 16 more than his former high.

5. By Blake A on Mar 24, 2011 | Reply

Interestingly enough, Fitz has been the ONLY player I believe who escaped the curse, putting up great numbers in 09-10. He recorded 97 receptions (third-most of his NFL career), 1,092 yards (fourth-most), and a career-high 13 touchdowns). Polamalu, on the other hand, spent almost all of the season injured on the bench. Could Fitz be a curse-breaker, perhaps??? Would love to see him in Cardinals Red for years to come!!!

6. By John the draft guy on Mar 24, 2011 | Reply

The 12th man is a ripoff from Texas A&M. Go to an A&M game and there is nothing like it. A great tradition.
    The story is that the Aggies were playing a game many years ago and were running out of players due to injury. The coach pulled a couple students out of the stands and dressed them out just in case. Now, The student body stands the entire game in case the coach needs them.

Nothing like the Seahawks stealing a long time tradition and claiming it for themselves. Maybe I should say Phoenix is the birthplace of overpriced coffee and grunge music.

7. By Bobf on Mar 24, 2011 | Reply

12th man. That is hilarious!!!

8. By Pheenic Cromartie on Mar 24, 2011 | Reply

It would be awesome if Fitz got on the cover again. He dodged the Madden curse last time, maybe he’ll dodge it again.

Oh, and the Seahawks really aren’t having any luck. First, none of their players made the Pro Bowl, and now this? At least their’s some upsides to being a Cardinals fan.

9. By AndyStandsUp on Mar 24, 2011 | Reply

To me the seeding is a mystery. Woodhead as a 4? Chris Johnson as a 11? Seattle’s rain soaked, coffee drinking, Nirvana listening tree huggers listed at 10 over 14th ranked DeMarcus Ware?
    And where in the heck is Colorado and Virginia Tech?
    Dick Vitale must be rolling over in his grave.

10. By Jesse Robles on Mar 24, 2011 | Reply

RED SEA BABY!!! University of Phoenix Stadium = Sell Out on Sundays!! Lets Go CARDS!!

11. By Eazy E on Mar 24, 2011 | Reply

Yeah I saw that the other day, cool idea. One from every team.

12. By brad oneill on Mar 24, 2011 | Reply

if they were smart they would put the dallas cowboy cheerleaders on the cover.

13. By This Guy on Mar 24, 2011 | Reply

@Daren

Steve Johnson a head scratcher? He was great this year, I picked him up on fantasy, him and Fitzpatrick. (Steve was a starter all year) As bad as the Bills are, their matches with the Pats are still close most of the time… They lost a lot of game by 3 points

14. By This Guy on Mar 24, 2011 | Reply

forgot to mention i won that fantasy league btw. Any I’m a Cards fan still, just felt sorry for the Bills

15. By Jeff Gollin on Mar 25, 2011 | Reply

If there is, in fact, a Madden curse – we should get behind someone on another team in our division – like P Willis, V Davis, Jackson, Bradford, Laurinaitis, Mike Williams1 etc.

16. By Darren Urban on Mar 25, 2011 | Reply

ThisGuy —

RE: Steve Johnson

I picked him up on fantasy too. Good player. Madden cover boy? Uh, no.

17. By madden-school on Mar 25, 2011 | Reply

I too can’t believe that on the entire seahawks roster, their is not 1 guy who they wanted to choose as an option for the cover. Did they not see Marshawn Lynch’s playoff run?

18. By R Robles on Mar 25, 2011 | Reply

Clay Mathews deserves it even Ed Reed but why Ray rice he didnt do anything. I love how Troy plays but Fitz shoulda been by himself on the cover Cardinals are always getting screwed I cant wait till we win a couple Super Bowls i swear & Fitz breaking records.