Mockingly, a vote for Peterson

Posted by Darren Urban on March 28, 2011 – 4:53 pm

I know people love to look at mock drafts but they seem rather silly to me, especially more than a few days out — so much can still change (the Cards, for instance, haven’t even started to build their draft board) and it’s usually an exercise in futility anyway.

That said, it is fun to talk about and debate, and NFL.com has been doing a video mock the past few years, getting someone who covers the team to make a pick for that team and explain some of the reasoning behind it. I did that last week, and now the top eight picks are posted on NFL.com. The way it works is they come to you and let you know what players are gone and you move from there. In this mock, the top four picks before the Cards were on the clock looked like this:

• Carolina — QB Cam Newton, Auburn
  • Denver — DT Marcell Dareus, Alabama
  • Buffalo — LB Von Miller, Texas A&M
  • Cincinnati — WR A.J. Green, Georgia

Obviously, Miller being off the board takes away a player many link to the Cards right now. It leaves two names that have floated around consistently in QB Blaine Gabbert and CB Patrick Peterson.

In this instance, as you can see in the video, I went with Peterson.

I am not saying I feel sure about such a pick. Peterson is expected to be one of the best, if not the best, players available. As I noted in my explanation, however, there seem to be a lot of parallels to Antrel Rolle that would at least make me hesitate. It’s also possible Gabbert is impressing the Cards when they get a chance to talk to him. Some, at this point, think Gabbert would be impossible for the Cards to pass up. And maybe the need for a pass rusher goes beyond keying on Miller, too.

As has been said many times, the quarterbacks hold the key to the top five. If Newton and Gabbert are both chosen, it looks so much different than if they are not. Realistically, all five teams need a QB — or at least it can be said that none are sure they have their long-term quarterback currently.

In this case, Peterson seems to be an impact player on the defense, which the Cards could use (yes, I do have concerns about a low Wonderlic score; it’s not the end-all, be-all, but it can’t be ignored either). I think impacting the defense is important. Would they go with him over say, Gabbert, if this is how it plays out? I guess we won’t know unless this is how it plays out.

P.S. By the way, just in case anyone wasn’t sure

Tags: , , , , , , ,

55 Responses to “Mockingly, a vote for Peterson”

1. By B on Mar 28, 2011 | Reply

What was Rolle 40 yard dash?

I don’t think he is close to as fast as Peterson.

Also..I would LovE this pick,

But ya know…if there is a clear obvious choice(cough cough Adrian Peterson)…Rod Graves and company will chose the other option LOL.

If this came to fruit…and we pass on Peterson for Gabbert…well I would….idk what I would do,it would suck for sure.

2. By harlanlee on Mar 28, 2011 | Reply

Given the scenario, with Gabbert still on the board, I agree that Peterson is the safe pick. Most people have Peterson as the #1 overall athlete in this draft, Wunderlich scores notwithstanding. Taking the best player available with #5 makes a huge amount of sense for the Cardinals. Next best choice would be the best available OLB.

3. By phoenixraven1 on Mar 28, 2011 | Reply

I don’t think you can go wrong with your pick there D. I think I’d pick Gabbert if I was asked just because I think Toler/DRC with Horton’s help could be a nasty duo for years…That being said Peterson would not disappoint if we picked him.

4. By Derek on Mar 28, 2011 | Reply

Whats wrong with maybe looking at Amukamara instead of Peterson? It seems the size, speed, and overall abilities of him at CB would be better suited than the athlete that Peterson is. Is he just not a talented enough prospect to take at 5? Of course, all this is assuming Miller is off the board and we decide not to take a QB.

5. By brad oneill on Mar 28, 2011 | Reply

I think you picked perfectly Darren, low wonderlic score is a check against but since we have two good corners already I think we would have time to groom him properly.

6. By remythekid on Mar 28, 2011 | Reply

Darren- say we take Peterson if he is as good as said to be does that move DRC to #2 given his lack of physicality and is it a big risk to pass on gabbert? also what do you think about a change a HB someone like Tolbert #32 overall FA to go with wells and trade hightower while he still has a little value? or what FA do you think they would target? and being that we have pieces i heard we are willing to part with like porter,hayes,even hightower and Campbell do you see us being overly busy in the trade and FA market or just average? also i know there is alot of talk about weather a deal will get done with fitz but lets face it thats just BS we know that will get done but as for Breaston i don’t feel honestly he is worth huge money like i heard he wants do you agree with that or would we be better off with one of the top notch FA out there?

7. By georgiebird on Mar 28, 2011 | Reply

Tough draft for Cards:
    1) Team should draft a QB
    2) several pieces of the team are not strong
    3) BUT the division is still win-able

While the wide receivers are the best unit on the team, except for Larry; Breaston has injuries, Roberts is still raw and Doucet has been a disappointment.

Still would draft AJ Green, get McNabb and go defense the rest of the draft. With the Cards non-stellar draft history, my plan is not perfect but it makes more sense than the other pie-in-the-sky scenarios I’ve heard.

8. By Brandon on Mar 28, 2011 | Reply

I just don’t see them taking him.. They have way too many areas of need to get a cb with their first overall pick

9. By ross on Mar 28, 2011 | Reply

Darren, who do you think leaks the wonderlic scores?

10. By Eazy E on Mar 28, 2011 | Reply

Great pick darren! Blaine wouldn’t be a good pick especially with Cam out. Von also was scooped up in this mock, so i’d take peterson in a heartbeat. Many scouts have him as the best overall athlete and even best player. I really don’t care for that stupid wonderlic test. Tells you nothing about a player honestly on the field.

11. By Andrew on Mar 28, 2011 | Reply

Absolutely love this pick. Haven’t heard much comparison to Rolle as much as I have heard that this guy could be the next great corner in the league. If the cards think he could be, you have to!! Our defense with a guy like this added to DRC, Wilson, and Rhodes. That could be an amazing secondary. Personally, I’m just hoping that he is still on the board for us to take.

And even though mock drafts are mostly notable for the word mock, without the excitement of free agency and possible trades, this is all we have right now!!!

Here’s to hoping for Patrick Peterson in the real draft!!

12. By Eazy E on Mar 28, 2011 | Reply

I would pick peterson, cam, or von as the cardinals pick depending on how everything shakes out.

13. By drummer-1 on Mar 28, 2011 | Reply

I say the team go with V. Miller and once the CBA is settled they try to get Bulger. I feel if they go with a rookie QB they can’t have any contact with him after the draft untill the CBA is settled, and if it last until say the 3rd week of the season he would have no impact on the team anyway and to me that would be a wasted pick. I think Skelton is the future franchise QB, he showed promise those last four games.. remember aikman went 1-15 his first year and peyton went 3-13, so why give up on Skelton so quick, what would have happen’d if the Cowboys and Colts had giving up on aikman and peyton because of their rookie season…

14. By Steve on Mar 28, 2011 | Reply

Darren: Love your work man but I really disagree with your pick. You mention on NFL.com that you get a feeling that the Cards brass is not sold on Gabbert being a potential franchise QB? Did you hear this after his workout for the Bidwills(not asking for names) and what parts of his game might the Cards have reservations about? I’m no NFL scout but he certainly looks pretty darn good to me and most “draft experts” have him rated as a top 10-12 player, he’s probably better than any of our QB’s on our roster. In 2005 we passed on Aaron Rodgers to take Antrell Rolle and we cant repeat that again.

15. By Sackman on Mar 28, 2011 | Reply

Whomever the Cardinal’s organization pick’s, I’ll be good with it. I’m just glad I don’t have to make that call. All I know is that if the player they want is not there at pick 5, then I sure hope they trade back for more picks. Good Luck!

16. By DoblerFan on Mar 28, 2011 | Reply

Good pick Darren. The decision is a lot harder with Von Miller off the board. OLB Quinn should be an option too. I truly think, and am hoping, we have some trade-down opportunities.

17. By Darren Urban on Mar 28, 2011 | Reply

Derek —

RE: Prince v Peterson

Peterson is considered the top CB available.

18. By Darren Urban on Mar 28, 2011 | Reply

remy —

RE: Lotsa questions

Next time you have multiple questions, number them just so it’s easier for me to see them. But 1) don’t know on Gabbert but as I have said I think they want to go defense, 2) don’t see an RB picked that high, 3) Almost impossible to know how busy things will be in trade/FA market until a new CBA and we know who exactly are FA, 4) I think Breaston’s return is 50/50 right now.

19. By Darren Urban on Mar 28, 2011 | Reply

Ross —

RE: Wonderlic

Since I don’t get them, I don’t know.

20. By Darren Urban on Mar 28, 2011 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Gabbert

Gabbert universally is not considered the same “safe” QB pick as a Ryan or Bradford or Stafford of late. That alone gives pause.

21. By Mark in Chandler on Mar 28, 2011 | Reply

Peterson is not a bad pick but faced with this option I think I would have gone in a different direction. To me the question is which player will have the most impact. Peterson is good but as much as the media hypes him up he is not a shut down corner. He is not the next Revis. In 3 years he might not even be a corner. If corner was a need this pick would make sense.

That leaves two other options: Gabbert or Quinn. Gabbert will be a good starting QB, maybe not great, but I think the Cardinals will make a play for either Orton or Kolb once FA starts. Worst case they will land Bulger and give Skelton another year to simmer.

All of that said I would have gone with Quinn. He will take a year to get up to speed (excuse the pun) but he reminds me of Peppers when you go back to 2009. In fact, if the Cards could trade down a few spots and still get Quinn I would take that option in a heart beat. I think I would have gone with Quinn over Peterson in your scenario.

22. By Mark on Mar 28, 2011 | Reply

Ok I say draft Robert Quinn, pass rushing beast. then trade Rhodes to Philly with a pick for Kolb. Move Toler to saftey (good tackler) and get Jonathan Joseph in free agency at corner. NFC champs again I can dream right!

23. By Joe-B on Mar 28, 2011 | Reply

You should know by now that that last little link about McNabb won’t be enough to get people to stop asking about him.

24. By Big Al on Mar 28, 2011 | Reply

Picking Peterson is like putting a Mercedes Benz emblem on a Volkswagon. The defense is not going anywhere, shiny bling bling defensive backs notwithstanding, without improving the pass rush. Only God can cover an NFL reciever for more than about 6 seconds, even Saint Revis would attest to that. If you are determined not to pick QB, then select Robert Quinn. They say he is running and cutting fine on that knee, which will be on display at his upcoming pro day.

25. By Rodgerscromartie17 on Mar 29, 2011 | Reply

If we could get Peterson at number 1 thats what they should do, they shouldnt draft another rookie. we need to solidify that secondary

26. By Old Man Riva on Mar 29, 2011 | Reply

Great blog as usual Darren, thanks. Funny how we have so much fun trying to predict the draft. I suppose there is that fantasy that the team will get the player or players who will take us over the top once and for all. When you consider that most players drafted never become impact players, it all seems a little futile, but it’s still fun. And who knows, like the 49ers, we could draft almost our entire starting defensive backfield in one draft like they did in ’81 (Lott, Wright and Williamson) or even better get the ultimate franchise picks like they did in ’79 (Montana in the 3rd round and Dwight Clark in the 10th!). Keep up the great work.

27. By Chris on Mar 29, 2011 | Reply

FINALLY a mock draft I agree with! JUST IMAGINE WILSON RHODES DRC and PETERSON, we will have the best Secondary in football, we need an OLB and ILB but I think we can get one in the second round. Even if Miller’s on the Board I would take Peterson cause I think Paris, Washington, Schofield, Davis, Hayes, Haggans(1 good yr left) will all produce and even tho I think we will drop Porter if we draft a LB in the 2nd we will be fine! GO CARDS GREAT MOCK DRAFT !

28. By SteveDCO on Mar 29, 2011 | Reply

drummer-1

Just made the exact same post on the last blog.

Bulger will be the guy as Skelton grows into the starting position. Even if Skelton beats out Bulger this season they need a vet QB to show Skelton how to prepare and study tape.

Obviously DA is not that guy.

29. By John the draft guy on Mar 29, 2011 | Reply

For those wondering about Gabbert or Ponder at QB, There is a ggod show on tonight on NFL network. called Game Changers.

The Qb’s are taken threw pro drills and into the film room. There is no secret that I’m a big Ponder fan. I think you will see why.

One of these guys might be our guy, so tune in and then come back and let everyone know if your opinion changed.

30. By D on Mar 29, 2011 | Reply

Need some things to work, but how about this, unfortuntely the Bills take V. Miller at 3. Cards find a trade partner around 15-18 slot and pick up an additional 2 round pick. With the first round pick take either A. Ayers or J. Houston OLB. Then send one of the second round picks and next year’s first round pick to Philly for Kolb. Use the other second round pick for the best OT or best MLB available.

31. By Jeff Gollin on Mar 29, 2011 | Reply

I’m one of those BPA (modified to incorporate position-need and system-fit) guys.

I have no clue as to what the Cardinals’ top 5, 10, 15 or 32 boards might look like, but expect us to take the top guy they have rated on their board.

My own personal Top 5 includes Peterson, Miller, Dareus, Fairley and Gabbert – with Green, Jones, Bowers, Quinn and Newton nibbling around the margins.

When you go back and review past drafts, one thing that becomes growingly evident is the importance of how well a player fits in with his coaching staff and teammates. This is pretty hard for we fans to gauge, but I’d be shocked if this factor will not be key in this year’s draft.

Note – If it’s difficult to read the minds of Keim, Graves and Wiz as to how they rate each player based on talent. it has to be well-nigh impossible to read their minds as to chemistry with each prospect.

32. By John the draft guy on Mar 29, 2011 | Reply

Steve,
    you make a great point. I’ve posted many times of how Dennis Green blew it by taking Rolle and passing on Aaron Rodgers.
    My 2 concerns about Gabbert is that he had a 30% comp ratio on balls over 15 yards and he ran a spread offense which was in the shotgun and short passing.

I love you bringing up Rolle with Peterson. I thought this but everyone said I was crazy. Many think Peterson is a safety, yes, a great athlete who can really run, but with stiff hips.
    Steve has a point of not missing with a QB.
    I personally think if Von Miller is off the board, Robert Quinn is our next choice. I’ll admit, I haven’t watched him in games, but what I read, he is an explosive pass rusher who can most likely be converted to OLB.

33. By johnnybluenose on Mar 29, 2011 | Reply

geogiebird has a good point. there is no certainty that fitz will be a cardinal in 2012 so aj green could be a good pick. i’m hoping von miller will be there for us and i really think he will be. buffalo needs a qb to learn from fitzpatrick and be ready to start in 2012. i don’t think they take miller. darren, when will the 2011 schedule be posted?

34. By Emmett on Mar 29, 2011 | Reply

LOL, wonderlic scores absolutely can be ignored for secondary players. Champ Bailey scored 14. Darrell Revis scored 10.

I hear they’re ok.

35. By jocards on Mar 29, 2011 | Reply

Clearly this team needs a QB but they also badly need somebody to come in and have an impact from day one. With no CBA in place it’s difficult to determine what QB’s might be viable options to fill our need. I wouldn’t draft a QB with the #5 pick unless you feel very confident that he is capable of being your franchise guy. If you draft a QB first and miss with that pick it can set your franchise back a long way. This team has far too many holes to fill to risk missing with the #5 overall pick.

36. By cards62 on Mar 29, 2011 | Reply

Darren

Why do you think Breaston is only 50% chance of resigning with the Cardinals?
    I think we are a little thin at proven WR now and we have no TE. Losing Breaston will make us very thin at WR. I hope our young WRs come around, but too early to tell even on Doucet.

My gut is telling me this labor dispute will not end quickly and that at least 2 preseason games will be cancelled.

37. By Darren Urban on Mar 29, 2011 | Reply

JohnnyBlue —

RE: 2011 schedule

The NFL will release the 2011 schedule in the normal time frame, which has usually been around April 15 or so (last year, it was April 20, the year before, April 14).

38. By Darren Urban on Mar 29, 2011 | Reply

cards62 —

RE: Breaston

I think Steve is disappointed he wasn’t offered a long-term contract extension. So I think if another team comes along and offers a decent deal, he may be inclined to take it.

39. By Jon L on Mar 29, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Good job on this one. I think that with Von Miller off the board this pick makes alot of sense. I really don’t see Cam Newton going number 1, that seems like a HUGE stretch. The only way I would want the cards to take Newton is if he fell to the 2nd round… Which we all know is not going to happen(not because of his ability but because of his hype) I also read a comment saying that we could take the next available OLB if Miller is gone but we could easily get one of the second tier pass rushers in the second round. I don’t see a huge difference between Miller and Ayers, I actually view Ayers as a slightly better player. If Ayers is gone by the time the cards pick in the second round then Houston should still be there. What do you think about Ayers or Houston in the second round D?

40. By Darren Urban on Mar 29, 2011 | Reply

Jon L —

RE: Second round

I can’t pretend to know much about either. But I do know this draft is supposedly deep with pass rushers, and if they don’t get one in the first, they need to get one in the second.

41. By AndyStandsUp on Mar 29, 2011 | Reply

Peterson would be a solid pick, but wasn’t it you Darren, that hypothesized how good a rookie CB could be with no upfront pressure?
    In your scenario, I probably would go with Quinn.
    Also, if the CBA is ratified before the draft (yeah, right) how about the 5th pick being traded for Palmer? (On condition of a restructure of contract, of course.)

42. By Darren Urban on Mar 29, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Pass rush/Palmer

Yes that was me and I don’t reach for a Quinn, for instance, over Peterson, assuming Peterson is so much better. Quinn might be that guy, but the Miller/Quinn maybe reminds me a little bit too much of the Thomas/Brown situation in 2007.

And the No. 5 pick is way too much to give for Palmer, restructured contract or not.

43. By Jon L on Mar 29, 2011 | Reply

I agree, I feel the cards definitely need to address OLB in either the first or second round.

44. By AndyStandsUp on Mar 29, 2011 | Reply

But drafting Peterson would be neglecting the Cards biggest need for improvement, pass rush. If they look second round for a QB(via trade or draft) as some have suggested, you’re looking at a third rounder as a possible Quinn-like savior. (And we know how well recent 3rd rounders have panned out.)
    And if Keim/Graves/Whiz go the OL route in the 3rd, we’re talking about over 100 players picked before the need could be addressed.
    Unless the FA/trade options are fully being expected to be explored, no way AZ passes on Quinn or one of the many DL candidates available.

45. By John the draft guy on Mar 29, 2011 | Reply

I agree with you about the 5th for Palmer being to high. But why do we feel that way?

What I mean is, you would have never traded the number 1 overall pick away for Drew Brees, who was on the trade block with San Diego in 2005. Yet, I’m more than certain the niners would rather have Brees over Alex Smith.

So why do we value draft picks so much more than proven players?

46. By Darren Urban on Mar 29, 2011 | Reply

John the draft guy —

RE: Draft picks over players

Well, in Palmer’s case, you are most certainly not getting Drew Brees. You are getting a player that looks like he is on the downside of his career, that hasn’t shown the arm strength/play he had once upon a time.

Overall, it’s because draft picks provide the potential of a Hall of Famer and a player being traded — usually — has already shown he won’t be that guy. That’s why he is (usually) being traded.

47. By John the draft guy on Mar 29, 2011 | Reply

Thats what they told the Raiders when they got Plunkett, or the Cardinals when they got Warner or the Saints when they got Brees (remember only Miami and saints had interest in Brees and the dolphins passed on him for Culpepper).

Palmer did throw for 26 tds with Wrs who were impossible to play with in Ocho cinco and TO.
    Does that mean I think he is worth the #5, heck no. . I do believe he is the best option in all the QB options and would be willing to part with a 2 and 4. Do I think Mike Brown trades him? Absolutely not. So it might be a moot point.

48. By AndyStandsUp on Mar 29, 2011 | Reply

But if at the 5th spot, the Cards have a choice of Newton, Gabbert, Kolb, Orton or Palmer, with rookie salary caps not in place, wouldn’t it be wiser and cost efficient to have a veteran as a precursor to the Skelton/Hall/AndyStandsUp era?
    Mike Brown is stubborn and is only going to let Carson go if he feels like he’s yanking lamb hair over someone’s vision.

49. By Scott H on Mar 29, 2011 | Reply

Joe-B

Asking about who?

50. By cardsalltheway on Mar 29, 2011 | Reply

With Von Miller already picked I’d have selected an Offensive Linemen(OL) if we could be sure PP7 would be gone before the 49ers pick seventh — draft down if possible — Obviously, we don’t need a CB but I don’t want the 49ers to get PP7. Five quarterbacks weren’t enough last year so a first round QB pick this year surely ain’t going to help.

51. By cards62 on Mar 30, 2011 | Reply

Cardsalltheway

We have already taken an OL over a Peterson now do you wish to do that again?
    ha ha

I think we should take Von Miller or Peterson at # 5. I stated earlier that I like Peterson best of all as I feel he would be the last piece to give us a great secondary for many years. I would be happy with Von Miller if we select him. If these 2 are gone I hope we try to trade down some for extra picks but not use them on QB. We can get Bulger and Vince Young for nothing and there will be more free QBs. I think QB this year in the draft is all a gamble so just take one in the 5th round or later and hope we find our Tom Brady. I would not mind the kid from Alabama, or a couple of the big ten kids. I have not given up on Skelton so I hope we open camp with 4 QBs but none of them named Anderson or Hall.
    Go Cards

52. By Remy the kid on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

If palmer retires how long before we can go after him

53. By Darren Urban on Apr 1, 2011 | Reply

Remy —

RE: Palmer

If he retires, the Bengals would hold his rights.

2. Mar 29, 2011: Word From the Birds BlogThe case of Quinn and Bowers «