The Top Five

Posted by Darren Urban on March 30, 2011 – 1:54 pm

No, we’re not talking former Cardinals cornerback Robert “Top Five” Tate, who used to put together top five lists all the time — including football lists, which inevitably included himself. Instead, we’re talking about the guys who will be considered for the top five picks in the draft. It sure seems like this is the list:

• QB Cam Newton
  • QB Blaine Gabbert
  • DT Marcell Dareus
  • WR A.J. Green
  • DE Da’Quan Bowers
  • LB Von Miller
  • CB Patrick Peterson

I don’t include DT Nick Fairley anymore because it doesn’t seem like anyone else is either. It leaves us with seven names, and the all-powerful quarterback situation. In Carolina, my man Darin Gantt believes there are only three legit possibilities for the No. 1 pick, and he has long believed it will end up being Cam Newton. For Denver, the pull has been strong for Dareus, since a) John Fox has always been a guy who likes to build up front; b) the Broncos were so porous and c) they have Elvis Dumervil coming back from injury so Miller might not be as necessary. Although Miller and Peterson have been mentioned (It has to be defense in Denver, right?).

Buffalo could use a QB, but Chan Gailey seems to want defense, so Miller has been a popular possibility for a team that uses the 3-4 and needs a pass rush. If the Cards want Miller, it seems the Bills will be the key. The Bengals figure to go offense, whether a QB or WR. The Cards, who have hinted many times they aren’t necessarily looking QB early, still don’t seem to make sense with a pick like that. Here’s the question, assuming Miller is gone: Could you make Bowers work in your defense? Is Peterson good enough? Do you reach outside the above list of names? By the time we get to the draft, would my list above change?

I wonder what Top Five Tate’s list would look like?

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

58 Responses to “The Top Five”

1. By George Cox on Mar 30, 2011 | Reply

Miller miller if gone than……………Gabbert or Peterson or an Dlineman it’s the rest of the draft thats important mor so than the first pick.

2. By Phoenixraven1 on Mar 30, 2011 | Reply

If miller and Peterson are gone you go best player available…I could see us trading our pick also…

3. By Mike Ellingboe on Mar 30, 2011 | Reply

With the talent level Bowers possesses there’s no doubt in my mind that Horton could make him work in our scheme. Having another DE who can defend the run makes our “D” a lot more viable going into next season (whenever it may be).

4. By Jon L on Mar 30, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    If the cards don’t feel like there is a worthy pick left when they are o the clock how likely are they to trade down and try to pick up one of the top O-line guys in the middle to end of the 1st round.

5. By Darren Urban on Mar 30, 2011 | Reply

Jon L —

RE: Trading down

As always, it’ll depend on who wants to trade up and what they can get. I’m not sure they’d trade down to get an O-lineman, however.

6. By Mark in Chandler on Mar 30, 2011 | Reply

If Miller is gone…

1-Trade down. For me this is best option. The Cards could still get a solid OLB in the 1st (Quinn, Smith, Kerrigan- depending on how far they trade down) and pick up an additional 2nd. With Gabbert still on the board you have to think that this pick would be very valuable.

2-Bowers. Assuming the knee is good, he is an impact player who is very athletic. He would have to learn to play OLB ala Woodley or Hali which the more I watch him the more I think he could play OLB. The Cards were successful when they slid Campbell out there towards the end of the year. If Bowers can drop into a zone then suddenly he is an incredible pick-pro bowl style- maybe even more attractive than Miller. If…

3-Quinn. He could be had a few picks lower but I think he has everything needed to be a dominate player. He is quick in the pass rush, big in the run. He just needs a year to get himself up to speed. I think he has as much potential as Miller. Miller may be a little better in the pass rush but Quinn is still very good and, I think, potential as good as Miller and Quinn is better in run defense. Most just haven’t seen much of Quinn other than an average performance at the combine, but he is very good.

4-Gabbert: If Miller is gone and the Cards feel like Bowers could not play OLB or there are lingering concerns about his knee, and for whatever reason are not sold on Quinn, AND no good trades… then Gabbert. He is likely going to a good QB but it will take a year or so. QBs always get drafted above thier grade because of thier impact as the Cardinals know better than most. I trust the brain trust and if they go with Gabbert I am willing to go along for the ride but with serious reservations. Drafting a QB is basically saying that Skelton is not the guy after seeing him for 4.5 games as a rookie. With Gabbert you still are going to have pick up a QB in FA which means Bulger is your best option. The Cardnials would not take Gabbert and then trade a future pick for Kolb or Orton. That is risking a lot and probably the 2011 season on Gabbert who is very inaccurate 15 yeard or deeper.

5-Peterson. I know it seems illogical to have the purest pick in the draft as my 5th option in this scenario but Peterson is simply not a need. If we were further down the draft it would make more sense. Not only is it not a position of need but he is not the CB he is being portrayed as. Don’t misunderstand, he is good-very good, but he is not Revis. He is not a shut down corner. He is a very good corner who is great in run support and solid in special teams. Against top recievers he is not as impressive and does not dominate. He may end up being an incredible safety. Bottom line, Peterson’s impact would not be felt nearly as much as those I have already listed.

7. By D on Mar 30, 2011 | Reply

If Miller is gone, Bowers would only work if we ran a 4-3-unless you plan on sitting Campbell-No QB worth top 5-try to trade down, if you can’t- take Quinn to convert to a OLB or take Peterson

8. By Fresh Talks on Mar 30, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren,

What do you think?

I say the player we are looking for is Miller. If he is gone, we should trade our pick to the Panthers for there 1st pick of next year & their 2nd this year (Pats Style) who knows we may get Lucky & get #1 ANDREW LUCK………..

9. By TBru on Mar 30, 2011 | Reply

Trading players is not an option at this point, is trading draft picks still allowed?

10. By Voice of Reason on Mar 30, 2011 | Reply

I think if Von Miller is gone, Peterson is the pick. If both are gone, Gabbert or Newton are likely to be there, and you see what you can get to trade down to somewhere in the neighborhood of 10. Shanahan would trade up for one of those guys. Get their second round pick and their first round pick next year. Then target a guy like Quinn. I really think Bowers would be a mistake at #5. Yes, he is a special talent, but with a bum knee he strikes me as a boom or bust (due to injury) player. Plus, in our scheme, you need bigger DEs. Bowers screams 4-3 DE to me.

Marcel Dareus might be a thought, but again, I’d hate to use the #5 pick to add to the deepest position we have on the roster. Just don’t think we get much reward for doing so.

I also think there will be an intriguing qb in the second round, like Dalton, Ponder (who may go late first) or — you heard it hear first — Ryan Mallett. Every year there is a player or two that people are shocked slip, and I get this feeling that he could be that guy.

11. By Jon L on Mar 30, 2011 | Reply

Why not an O-line man? O-line is easily one of our top 2 needs and most of the decent line men are probably going to be gone in round one. In my opinion the only true quality man we have on our current roster is Lyle sendlien, He is extremely underrated, Levi can be decent if he can readjust to moving back to the left side and ive heard good things about Rex Hadnot but the film that i’ve seen on him is very limited so I can’t make an honest evaluation. Alan Fanaca played somewhere between mediocre and decent this year but how many years does he really have left… Brandon Keith still has a lot to prove. We really could use a young guy up front for Grimm to mould into a Pro bowl type of guy.

12. By Rich on Mar 30, 2011 | Reply

Cards are gonna select Gabbert. He’ll be there at 5 and they won’t be able to pass on him. Let the controversy begin!

13. By Drew on Mar 30, 2011 | Reply

Darren, I would like to know if the NFL doesn’t happen this season obviously the draft still does but would there be a draft in the season after this season. If there is a draft that other season since no teams would have played football what would the draft order be would we still have the fifth pick.

14. By AndyStandsUp on Mar 30, 2011 | Reply

I know what the top 5 choices will be in this year’s NFL draft. They have been hermetically sealed in an envelope in a #2 mayonnaise jar stashed under Funk and Wagnalls porch since noon today.. No one knows the results, but I, AndyStandsUp, will divinely and mystically reveal the answers to the questions many have asked(holding Roger Goodell’s draft index card to head):
    1.) Cam Newton. Who will the Carolina Panthers hire as their “Geek Squad” when it comes down to purchasing the best deals on the “hottest” laptops?
    2.) Marcel Dareus. Who was the guy who did mime acts at Hootie and the Blowfish concerts?
    3.) Von Miller. How do you ask for a beer in downtown Toronto in a few seasons? (Yes, I know it more German sounding than French-Canadian. but I hope you jump on your bike too quickly to learn it has no seat.)
    4.) Blaine Gabbert. Who’s the person who has worked more spread offenses than a vice squad officer.
    And I hold in my head the last one,(blowing into the envelope)… 5.) Robert Quinn. After tomorrow’s North Carolina pro day, who will be the Arizona Cardinals first draft choice, propelling them into 3 consecutive Super Bowl appearances?
    Enjoy the veal!

15. By Brad W on Mar 30, 2011 | Reply

Mark in C,,,,

Trade down? Cards may not have a chance to pick a top 5 prospect for a long time, and you want to trade it away? This is our chance to get another franchise player (along with Fitz), so hopefully they will not trade that opportunity away…Peterson may not be a strong need, but how many times do you hear ‘don’t draft for need, take the best available player’ (e.g. when we skipped on Adrian Peterson for Levi). Also imagine our secondary if Peterson, DRC, Rhodes and Wilson! With Toler and Johnson for depth. We all know Cards will be doing everything to get Fitz a new contract, but nothing is final, we have an opportunity to grab someone amazing, Plz Whiz don’t trade down!

16. By jzoully on Mar 30, 2011 | Reply

Wow this left me dumbfounded, are you kidding me? first Von Miller has to be the top player on the board for the cardinals. If you don’t get the best, you go to the second option, Patrick Peterson. And my final and only other option would be Robert Quinn, who is very talented and can be switched from a defensive end to a outside linebacker.

17. By jzoully on Mar 30, 2011 | Reply

Dear Darren,

we need to pick up a quarterback in free agency, would there be a possibility that the Cardinals might pick up an option that not many analyst might not mention? (Like Drew Stanton, Troy Smith, etc.)

18. By John on Mar 30, 2011 | Reply

If Gabbert is there the Cards should and will take him. He has the size, the arm and the smarts to be successful. I really hope here is there and that they do take him.

19. By Big Red on Mar 30, 2011 | Reply

If we must get Peterson, so let be and put him as safty. Then put Adrian Wilson as linebacker.

20. By John the draft guy on Mar 30, 2011 | Reply

Bowers looks like a good player for a team that runs a 4-3. That’s not us. In fact, my understanding is Horton wants to get more away from the Hybrid and be more true 3-4. So to me Bowers is out.

Peterson, I agree with you about the Rolle comparison. Rolle was an amazing player with tight hips who could not hang at CB. Many draft scouts projected Peterson as a safety. Peterson was even asked the question and he said he wants to try corner first. He may be a safe player but we have safeties.

Gabbert has questions. But I believe he is gone by 5. Is Gabbert a future franchise QB? Opinions are all over the place.
    Newton is gone by 5 also. Newton will not get past the Bills. But I don’t think he is a fit for the cards if he is available. I think if either of these guys are available and Miller is not, You can trade down with Tennessee, Washington,
    or Minnesota.

Marcell Dareus is the real deal. I would love to have him, he would upgrade either DE spot. But I don’t think the cards are done with Campbell yet and Dockett just got a new deal.

AJ Green- nice player who could help a lot of teams. Don’t see the cards looking at a WR this early with a wr rich draft.

Von Miller- This is the guy. The biggest upset to the cards is both QB’s, Miller and Dareus all gone.
    Who is that 5th guy? Most think Peterson. In this situation, I trade down with maybe Houston or Dallas. Then draft Quinn. I just think our poor passrush has lasted too long. It needs to be addressed with the 5th pick. Or a small trade down.

Miller is the best choice

21. By Andre on Mar 30, 2011 | Reply

Personally, if Gabbert and Miller are both off the board, I honestly think the Patriots will agree to trade with us. It makes too much sense for both teams if this is the scenario for the Cards. The pats would probably draft Green or Jones. The Cards will probably end up with both first round picks(I’m not sure what the formula is) or a first and second from the Pats. This will enable us to fill some major needs on both sides of the ball.

22. By John the draft guy on Mar 30, 2011 | Reply

I see the draft going like this.
    1)Carolina – Blaine Gabbert, Panthers can’t pass on a QB
    2)Denver- Marcell Dareus , Denver could not stop teams running last year.
    3)Buffalo – Cam Newton, Chan and Cam are a perfect marriage
    4)Bengals- Daquan Bowers – Carlos Dunlap was awesome, Bowers give the
    Bengals a great pair of bookends
    5)Cardinals – Von Miller, gives us a passrush so badly needed
    6)Cleveland – AJ Green – Colt McCoy needs weapons
    7)Eagles- yes Eagles (niners land Kolb and a pick) – Patrick Peterson , can play
    corner or safety, helping a weak secondary
    8)Rams – (trade with Tenn) – Julio Jones- Bradford get his weapon.
    9)Jets – (trade with Dallas) – Robert Quinn- a need for a passrusher to get to
    the big game
    10)Washington – Jake Locker. Shanahan love mobile QBs
    11)Houston – Prince Amukamara, the worst secondary just got help.
    12)Vikings – Ryan Mallott-missed out on Julio Jones and Jake Locker- Mallot
    is the most talented QB but Ryan Leif could be a good comparison.
    13) Detroit – Tyron Smith – Time to protect Stafford
    14)Tennessee – Nick Fairley- how did he fall this far? work ethic questions.
    15)Miami- Mark Ingram, both rbs are free agents
    16)Jacksonville- Ryan Kerrigan. Jags finally find a passrushing end in the draft
    17)New England – Aldon Smith, Pats need help at OLB
    18)San Diego – Cameron Jordon, help with a 3-4 end is one of the only weak
    points
    19)NY Giants – Nate Solder – Ingram is gone and OL is getting old
    20)Tampa Bay – Adrian Clayborne – solid DE
    21)Kansas city – Torrey Smith, Bowe needs help.
    22)Colts- Gabe Camari – should have picked a OL last year according to GM
    23)Niners – (trade with Eagles) – Brandon Harris. Got their QB, now help in
    secondary
    24)Cardinals – (trade with Saints) cards move up to land a very smart,
    accurate QB, who may be a franchise guy
    25)Seattle – Mike Pouncey – need help on OL
    26)Baltimore – Aaron Williams, defense has issues in secondary
    27)Atlanta – Jabaal Sheard, DE
    28)New England -Muhammad Wilkerson
    29)Chicago- Corey Liuget
    30)Dallas- Anthony Castanzo
    31)Green Bay- JJ Watt
    32)Steelers – Jimmy Smith

There it is. Have at it

23. By Eazy E on Mar 30, 2011 | Reply

Mark-

CB isn’t a need, I totally disagree. We weren’t good at all in the back end, some was pass rush, a very raw toler, drc’s a little bit of a down year, and adub’s injury. Peterson would be a great selection depending on how the draft shapes up. He’s arguably the draft’s best athlete and player and would be a wonderful CB.

24. By Jeff Gollin on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

What we do (or ought to do) may be tied to the Lockout. For example, if we are unable to add a veteran quarterback like Palmer or Kolb, we might be more inclined to opt for Gabbert or Newton if either were available and considered BPA’s.

Or would we?

If not, I think our non-QB/non-Fairley board would look something like: Miller, Peterson, Dareus, AJ Green, J Jones.

A few questions for you, Darren, though: (1) Why is McNabb an unlikely QB option? (2) Why is Fairley suddenly slipping? (3) If Fairley is no longer an option and a QB wasn’t one of our Top 5, why did Wiz go to Auburn’s pro day?

25. By Sean on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

@Mark

In my humble view, about 60% of what I read posted by us fans on this site is 100% garbage.

Your post was gold. I dont necessarily agree with all of it, but it is very hard to argue with your logical apporach.

Well done, sir!

26. By Bill L on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

Newton at #1 would send shockwaves thru the draft. He’s in the 20s on Mayock’s board(behind a QB who can’t complete passes) and he is off Casserley’s board in the first round. It leaves Gabbert(5 on Mayock’s board) and best QB in the draft(Even better than Kolb) on Casserley’s board.

I think Dareus is a lock for Denver, if they can’t trade out. Trade Value for #2 is very High. So unless Den is willing to take a beating based on the trade value table, they are stuck at #2……Dareus.

At #3 the Trade values are still very high. So like Den the Bills will take a beating(bad for the GM ego) or are stuck……stuck. Now do they take Gabbert or Miller, They have to get decent before they get good and they have a decent QB. Tough decision…….but for now, Miller.

I think Gabbert goes at #4, either to Cinn or to a trade, but a lot depends on Palmer and Cinn’s plans for him. Cinn will take him if they have truly written off Palmer. If Palmer changes his mind B4 the draft, they will trade the pick. 7 thru 12 could reasonably reach up to #4(at #12 Cinn may take a small beating). Some trades up to 4, or Cinn stays………Gabbert.

No one trades up for a WR at #5. The Cards might find someone to trade up for Peterson. If not, they take him, at #5………….Peterson.

27. By Darren Urban on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

Fresh —

RE: Panthers trade

This team needs help this season. I’m not sure it’s the right message to send to anyone — fans, your players, your organization — to basically throw away this year’s biggest impact player (in the first round) to maybe get a QB. Doesn’t help in 2011 (besides, that’s a trade the Panthers don’t make).

28. By Darren Urban on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

TBru —

RE: Trading picks

Yes, teams can still trade picks in this draft, or trade future picks. Just can’t involve players.

29. By Darren Urban on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

Jon L —

RE: OLine first round

I disagree with your premise. Top two needs are pass rusher and QB and it’s not close. Do they need offensive linemen? Yes.

30. By Darren Urban on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

Drew —

RE: Draft in 2012

Long, long way to go before then. If we get to next year and this labor dispute is still going on, there are much, much bigger problems than whether there will be a draft.

31. By Darren Urban on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

jzoully —

RE: QB in FA

I think it’s possible, but those guys are backups at best and I don’t see them moving, say, Skelton down the depth chart for someone like that.

32. By Darren Urban on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

Jeff —

RE: Questions

1) I know you read my stuff all the time. Do I really have to go over the McNabb issues again? http://blog.azcardinals.com/2011/01/12/to-qb-and-not-qb/

2) I don’t know if Fairley is slipping as much as teams finally started doing post-season homework and this is where he should have been slotted all along. He has work ethic questions and concerns he was a one-year wonder. It’s not like he won’t be top 10 probably, just not top 5.

3) In all honesty, I think he wanted to look at Newton. And it should be noted that, had free agency been going on, Whiz probably would have stayed here. Wasn’t much going on, so he went to Auburn.

33. By DirtybirD on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

If Von Miller and Patrick Peterson are gone then trade down with New England. The Cardinals 5th pick for New England’s 17th and 28th. The Cardinals could draft a LB like Brooks Reed or Akeem Ayers with the 17th pick and go QB, O-lineman or even TE with the 28th. What do you think Darren, sound like a good idea?

34. By Bill L on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

@John L

I agree with the O-line idea, but I suspect they can do better than a low first O-lineman. I’ve got my sights on 2 starting tackles.

Let’s see, both(I think only 1 QB worth it) QBs gone 1st and 4th. Miller gone at 3. Cards best player available is Peterson. Now, the Cards NEED a QB, Pass Rusher, OL…….just for starters.

First decide who the QB will be…….Fitz has set this agenda, and holds all the trump Cards. #1 Kolb, #2 Bulger…….Now, it is better that there is no CBA until after the draft…..Likely. So Kolb will likely cost the Cards 1st in 2012, But QB is done and Fitz should be happy and NEED #!1 Filled.

On two Need #2(IMO) ….OL. There are only 2 top CBs in this draft, and at 5 the Cards have the choice. Well there are plenty of Others who, unlike the Cards NEED a CB……..So let’s make a deal….or, several.

SF needs a CB. From 7 to 5 would only cost their 1st and 3rd according to the value table……so let’s say they and the cards make that deal. Now we get REAL Lucky and Cle Covets AJ Green. So the Cards are Back Up with only 1 of the 2 Prime CBs left………..Let’s Make a deal!

Lets say the Texans decide they want need that other CB……#11 and their 2nd would do the job.

So we take Tyron Smith with 11. Use Our 2nd and SF’s 3rd to Move up to 23 to Pick up someone like Solder, Carimi or Sherod. Now we have a QB and 2 Tackles.

On to pass rusher.With luck someone like Bruce Carter is there…….or, maybe more dealing is necessary to get up high in the 2nd.

5 is a GREAT position and CBs are a great instrument to fix this MESS…….it would work even better if Miller fell to 5………..something about not putting all your eggs in one basket.

35. By Mark in Chandler on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

Peterson and Trading Down:
    Just a follow up from other comments. Peterson is a luxury in my mind. I would love to have him but I see the pass rush as a much bigger need. Also, (and I know I am being redundant) in comparison to other corners from previous drafts he is good but not great. Overall, this is not a great corner class. When I watch Peterson against Green and Jones, as well as other outstanding WR from the SEC, he just doesn’t impress. In almost every game the WR wins the battle. Likewise, his hips when he opens up in drills makes me wonder how he would fair against quicker WR. Add to that, that Toler did OK for his 1st year and Peterson quickly falls down my wish list.

As for trading down, I know we continually mention the Suggs miss when we traded down. I agree trading down is a calculated risk. But it also has a lot of upside. I’ll use a possible scenario to illustrate my point. Assuming Miller is gone, Washington makes a trade with us because they want Gabbert, and we get thier 10th and thier 41st in addition to our 37th. It would be very possible that the Cardinals could end up getting Quinn with the 10th, and then 2 of either Pouncy (LG), Rudolf (TE), or Wilson (ILB). Not only would that impact the team but it also brings in more talent with subsequent picks that would have been used for either LG, TE, or ILB. I realize it is a risk but it is hard to turn down a trade when it brings more early round picks as New England can testify.

36. By Voice of Reason on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

Interesting take from BigRed. What if Patrick Peterson comes in, and you move either him or maybe someone like Greg Toler to safety, and then put Wilson as your pass rushing OLB. Can’t see it happening, but an interesting thought.

37. By Darren Urban on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

DirtyBirD —

RE: Trade down

Why would the Patriots want/need to trade up?

38. By D on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

Only could see NE trade up that high if they think they need one of the two best WR’s in draft. If V. Miller is off the board, it would be a good deal for AZ if NE would do it. Pick up Ayers and maybe Pouncey

39. By Mike Ellingboe on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

@Voice,

The reason you can’t see it happening is because it makes absolutely no sense to have half of the starting secondary going through position changes, especially with a new DC and no CBA.

40. By Mike Ellingboe on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

@Rich,

Here’s hoping you’re right, because at least when we passed on AP he didn’t go to our biggest division rival. Imagine the great feeling we’ll all have if Gabbert is the franchise QB we needed and was available only to end up in SF?

41. By Ben on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

Quinn

42. By DoblerFan on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

Do i dare say it? I could see The Pats giving up the 17th and 28th for Fitz so we actually get something before he flies the coop. Now we’ve got the #5 (W/R
    A.J. Green), #17(OT), # 28(OLB), & #38 (TE or QB).

Be easy on me.

43. By Mike Ellingboe on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

@Bill L,

I admire the amount of thought you’ve put into this but a few questions come to mind after reading your draft ideas. First, why would SF provide us an extra pick when it’s almost a lock that Amukamara will be available at #7? If Houston needs another CB why not move down a few slots themselves (assuming Prince isn’t still there at #11) and take Jimmy Smith later in the first? I just can’t see, if that is their projected picks, why they would need to trade with us.

Not saying that I wouldn’t like to see us upgrade our tackles as well, but considering this draft doesn’t have one that is considered to be a legit blue-chip prospect in the mold of a Boselli/Ogden, etc., is it wise to use two first rounders on guys who probably project more as Guards and/or right tackles early in their careers? I’d have to look it up but I’m pretty sure Levi had a higher grade than anyone in this year’s crop.

44. By DoblerFan on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

Hey John,

Who is the QB on your mock draft we traded up to get. I suspect Ponder. Most think he is more of a west coast passer and has a history of being brittle. He does look good right now though. I like the Philly/SF trade although SF wouldn’t get Philly’s 23rd pick. I could also see The Rams jumping ahead of The Skins to nab WR Jones. Nice work.

45. By Darren Urban on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

DoblerFan —

RE: Pats for Fitz

It’s not about easy or not. Fitz isn’t being traded.

46. By Mike Ellingboe on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

@John the draft guy,

In your mock, who did we take at QB?

47. By Bill L on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

@Mike

It seems to me that there are 2 CBs that are head and shoulder above the others and a significant difference between Peterson and Amukamara. SF, if their ratings are like Mayock’s and Peterson is not only their top rated CB, but 1,2 or 3 on the whole board…..and their 1 or 2 need………a third round pick sounds like a good deal to me…even if the could expect to get Amukamara.

As to Amukamara, he becomes Uncas….Last of the Mohicans. The next CB I see is 31….Aaron Williams……in one of my favorite mocks…….and he is better projected as a FS. I will have to check Mayocks top 32.

The point is THERE are ONLY 2 high level CBs……..and for SF to get the BEST it only costs a 3rd……and they don’t have to worry about Losing out to another trade by the Cards, the Cards themselves, and 6 ……they get alot for a 3.

I think it makes sense for all parties

48. By Canadian Red Bird on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

Re: Dobler Fan:

I agree with your train of thought with trading Fitz for New England’s 17th, 28th and flipping their 1st pick in the 2nd round for our 2nd round pick. I think it makes good sense, especially when you have the potential of getting an A.J. Green to fill the void. No one ever thought that Edmonton would trade Gretzky, so to say it won’t happen is only an educated assumption. Don’t get me wrong, I love Fitz as much as any Cardinal fan however when a player starts to dictate the direction of the team ( ie. Kolb ), its time to move on. Love the way you think Dobler, must be cut out of the same cloth as Conrad.

49. By John the draft guy on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

Mike and Dobler fan;
    Sorry guys it was suppose to be Christian Ponder.
    I know they say he is a west coast guy but I think he could fit in our offense. He throws the seem routes well and is accurate down the field.
    Fragile? That is a concern. Still think he is worth the risk.

50. By Brad Wheeler on Apr 1, 2011 | Reply

If you trade the 5th overall you’re giving up one player that could be amazing for two players the could be great, i would definitely prefer the one player who could be amazing…

51. By Keegan on Apr 1, 2011 | Reply

I dont think it’s that hard, when Buffalo takes Von Miller, we take the best defensive player available, whether it would be Dareus, Bowers, Peterson. and then in the second round you take an O-Lineman or a QB such as Jake Locker or an Andy Dalton. This is also the year where we probably need to have a couple of late-round steals, thats how dynasties are made

52. By cole on Apr 1, 2011 | Reply

ok so up on this chat there was talk about qbs and mcnabb again. Obvious to me is darren does not like mcnabb i think its rediculous to not consider mcnabb as a qb next season he had an off year and in the situation were in for a qb i think the gm would be retarded not to consider him. Also kolb would do good here im sure, as for bulger if he comes here id be suprised if we even got to 8 and 8 expect another terrible year.

53. By John the draft guy on Apr 1, 2011 | Reply

Cole; and others supporting McNabb,

Maybe we should pick him up. That would help us next year land Andrew Luck. Being a long time season ticket holder, I can handle another bad year to get Luck next year. We could just get defense this year. OK.

Guys , I’m with you. lets get McNabb.

After all, his QB rating is higher than Kolb.

54. By Scott H on Apr 1, 2011 | Reply

Dobler fan –

My question to you is this – Why do the Patriots need Fitz??? Truth is, they don’t. Look at the season they just had without a single stud WR on their roster! They RELEASED Randy Moss and actually got better!!! They brought Deion Branch back from his prison sentence in Seattle and suddenly he was born again. The Patriots are just a machine. As long as Brady and Belichek are there, they do not need stud players on offense. They just make everyone a vialble option and spread it around and it works like a charm. Again, why do they need Fitz???

55. By Michael M on Apr 4, 2011 | Reply

My Top Players I would like us to get in the Draft…

Top Position Needs; linebacker, quarterback, tight-end, o-line, cornerback

1. Blaine Gabbert- We need a QB to win and score points, we can’t win if we can create some offense. I think Gabbert could fill that position, he has the potential that Leinart never was and I think Blaine could revamp the Warner era and get us into the playoffs

2. Von Miller- The new defensive coordinator Horton would love to have a player like Miller. If Miller and Gabbert are both on the board still when it’s the Cards chance to pick, it would be tough to choose, I would only go Miller if the coaches believe Skelton(or another player in the draft or free agency) can lead our offense. Defense wins championships, but you also can’t win if you can’t score.

3. Patrick Peterson- I like the idea of adding this young talent to are secondary, I also like the idea that “John the draft guy” said by putting Wilson at linebacker and moving Peterson to safety. Wilson could cover the slot receivers and tight ends also he could blitz and add more pressure while Peterson is stopping the long ball.

4. Aldon Smith- He is big and could be a good addition to our defense, but I would only go for him if the previous 3 are gone. Trade down(I also agree with “Mark in Chandler” about trading down, but teams will want that pick, and we could get some players or picks in return.) He can add pressure that we need, but Miller is my first choice.

5. Mikel Leshoure- I don’t see the Cardinals drafting a RB(beanie and hightower) but the running game for the Cardinals hasn’t improved much and adding him and using a 2nd round pick would be well worth it. Mark Ingram will be gone by the time we pick again(unless the unexpected happens) but Mikel could be a key weapon for our offense and if we could actually run the ball, then the passing game will be easier for whichever QB we have lined up behind center. I love Hightower and Wells, but they need to produce more and I believe they could.

6. Lance Kendricks- With the QB position having little experience, it would be good for us to have a go-to-guy when Fitz is unavailable or if we need to get the ball off quick and Kendricks ability to play tight end like a receiver is just unfair for the linebackers who have to cover him. We need more go-to-guys, and having a good tight end that can run and catch will be a definite advantage for our offense.

We will be a better team after the draft, whatever we decide to do im all for it. In the later rounds, we could get some secondary players like Miami’s Brandon Harris or someone else if we already have a few people in mind. I do feel though if we don’t build a solid running game next year, then more pressure will be added to the QB’s. It is already bad enough that Leinart was a dud and Warner left. The defense this year will do good, Horton’s aggressiveness to pressure the QB, will be great. Less time for the QB to make a throw, means more chance for a turnover.

Thanks Darren for feeding us in on the Cardinals, you do a great job.

Lastly for the people who doubt Whisenhunt, he is building the franchise and he did get us to the Superbowl, he is giving us the chance to contend in the NFL. What did you expect after Warner left? When I see people saying fire him, it makes me wonder if they watched what the Cardinals before he came to Arizona. He is the coach and I believe in him.

56. By John the draft guy on Apr 5, 2011 | Reply

Mike M;
    I never said move Wilson to LB.
    In Fact, I don’t think he is a LB.
    Wilson struggled last year but I see him rebounding this year at Safety.

57. By Michael M on Apr 8, 2011 | Reply