Traveling Fitz helps again

Posted by Darren Urban on March 31, 2011 – 12:10 pm

Last year, I wrote about Larry Fitzgerald’s offseason travels and his return, noting that part of his trip was to aid one of his Minnesota neighbors — Bill Austin — who runs Starkey Hearing Foundation. Fitzgerald has worked with Austin a few times in the past helping fit needy kids with hearing aids in countries where they can’t usually get them. Last year, it was India.

This year, Fitz is part of a much bigger group of NFL players in Rwanda doing the same.

“The first time I helped someone to hear, I was so moved. I was emotional,” Fitzgerald told ESPN.com. “To see a child hear their mother’s voice for the first time and see their family’s reaction is one of the moments I will never forget. We all have basic needs, and hearing is one of those needs.”

Tags:

17 Responses to “Traveling Fitz helps again”

1. By Joe on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

This is an awesome story Darren. There needs to be more Larry Fitzgeralds in this world.

2. By Phoenixraven1 on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

Fitz is good to go!

3. By Vas on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

A class act by the best receiver in the nfl.God bless you Larry Fitzgerald I you stay a Cardinal forever.You are the face of this team.

4. By jpautz on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

What a true hero!!! In Fitz we Trust.

5. By Nick Pepe on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

Darren

Is he perfect? No, I am sure not. As you yourself once said , no one is.

But let me aver. I love the word being used, “class”, and in my 40+ years as Cardinal fan I feel he is in the top five (perhaps #1) as far as representing the franchise both on and off the field…
    joining (in no particular order) Jim Hart, Roger Wehrli, Pat Tillman, and Roy Green.

Just my personal list. (I’d put Dierdorf in there but he is a brutal announcer!)

And yes Lord, please give this world more people like Larry Fitzgerald.

Nick Pepe, Lifetime Member

6. By cardsalltheway on Apr 1, 2011 | Reply

Who within the Cardinal orginization actually listens or talks to real voices of Cardinal fans which can be heard by all fans or the public? Are we only heard through private phone calls taken by Cardinal customer service or via forums, text messages, twitter, or this blog? I know you relay questions via this or that way but I’d like to know if/when real fan voices are heard?
    Fitz ought to be put on the trading block!

7. By cardsalltheway on Apr 1, 2011 | Reply

The Cards should consider trading any and all players that can be traded. Yes, I know that can’t happen now due to the lockout but that would include Fitz, Beannie, etc…The Packers won a Super Bowl with a 6th round running back. Why? Because they protected their QB. If the Cardinals don’t care about protecting the QB, then they would have as good a chance at winning with Ken W. behind center. Did the Cards chase Kurt Warner away, I’ll be waiting for his tell all book.

8. By Darren Urban on Apr 1, 2011 | Reply

cardsall —

RE: Fan voices

Unless there is a time when someone wants to do a live chat — which is out of my hands — or if someone does a call-in radio show, for instance, there isn’t really that moment.

9. By Nick Pepe on Apr 1, 2011 | Reply

@cardsalltheway:

What exactly have you been smoking? That is one of the most absurd statements I have ever heard. The Lions are looking for “fans”, follow them.

10. By cardsfan007 on Apr 1, 2011 | Reply

@Cardsalltheway,

Just log off if your going to make an (fill in the blank) statement like that. Like Nick Pepe said the lions need “Fans” so go follow them.

11. By larry fitz stickyfingers on Apr 1, 2011 | Reply

fitz is the bomb and the shell, he is just amazing

12. By Scott H on Apr 1, 2011 | Reply

Further evidence that this man is just too good to be true. Shame on anyone who thinks we should trade him or that he isn’t worth the money that he REALLY IS worth. he is absolutely everything you could want in a player and a pro athelete.

13. By cardsalltheway on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

Nick Pepe,
    FYI, I don’t smoke but it’s obviously on your mind. What’s wrong with suggesting trades that would make our team better? Of course I wouldn’t suggest trading for a non-drafted QB to start for us this coming year. I’d say those kinds of moves/decisions are much worse for us than my suggestion. If only I or any other fan could think like you then maybe we could stay off your Lion fan list aye?

14. By cardsalltheway on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

Cardsfan007,
    Is there some sort of sub group of Cardinal fan club you and thy peep Nick belongs, what can I do to join? I wish I could have the mindset of ya’ll.

15. By cardsalltheway on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

That’s too bad, why does at least one other team I can think of have to lead in this way and why doesn’t any other team try to do the same or better? It really is sad.

16. By cardsalltheway on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

For the record, a radio show(listening to the actual voices of fans) not directly connected to the Cardinals doesn’t count as the Cardinal organization providing a platform, which at least one other NFL team does.

2. Mar 31, 2011: Traveling Fitz helps again | Hearing Aid News