• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.
  • Fri., May. 23, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp.
  • Sat., May. 24, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp

A chance to mock, and the schedule

Posted by Darren Urban on April 6, 2011 – 4:23 pm

All this talk about mocks, it’s only fair you get a chance to do one if you want to. So you can click right here and take part in the mock contest from Chevron and azcardinals.com. Give yourself a chance to win an autographed jersey of whomever the No. 1 draft choice is — do you go with Miller? Peterson? Gabbert? Oh, the possibilities are endless (your chances to win might not be if, say, you put Jake Locker as the fifth overall pick, but hey, it’s your mock).

As for the other part of football we can talk about these days, the 2011 interactive schedule is posted, although the “when” part of the schedule remains under wraps. That will be released later this month — I am guessing the week before draft week (last year, it was April 20). But in the meantime, you can check out the opponents, air miles to be traveled and this somewhat surprising stat given the slate of other teams — the Cards, thanks to their division and off years last season by the Cowboys and Vikings, for instance, will for a second straight season face the NFL’s weakest schedule based on 2010 results.

Tags: , , ,

20 Responses to “A chance to mock, and the schedule”

1. By brad oneill on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

if only you guys let us yahoo email accounts play.

they should just do a package prize of Kelly Stouffer, matt leinart, and levi brown jerseys. oh and of course that Hightower cup.
    :P

2. By AndyStandsUp on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

What’s scary about the schedule is 4 of the 8 road games are on the East Coast and 2 of the other are in Minneapolis and St Louis, which are expected to be early starts.
    And we know how the Cards have struggled crossing the country for 10 am, 11 am kickoffs. (4-22? during Whiz’s tenure)

3. By John on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

Interesting, the Colts travel 9000 miles Cards travel 24,000. 49ers have it the worst.

4. By bluepitt on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

D, how come the NFC West travels the most miles? almost 3 to1? WTF

5. By joe67 on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

Maybe based on last years records, it is easy. But in reality this is not an easy schedule. NFC East, Pitt, Balt, Minn. Not that easy imo, especially with the travel. One good thing is we get the Cowboys at home, so we will have at least one WIN!!!

6. By RelayTV on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

Once again, the Cardinals get no respect!!

Every single other team has a nice little paragraph about their schedule right below the tab that says “HIDE MAP.”

For the cards it just says:

“Cards face AFC North, NFC East this season.”

It would be hard to write LESS words to describe the schedule. They couldn’t even be bothered to type out the entire word “Cardinals.”

Who the hell made this thing?

A 49ers fan?

7. By Edijkstra on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

Darren, could you discuss the Cardinals decision-making process for putting together a draft board and for drafting. Is there one person who has ultimate power and responsibility, or is it a group effort? If it’s one person, who is it?

Thanks.

8. By Darren Urban on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

bluepitt –

RE: Miles

You can’t fight geography. When you play the far-flung divisions, there is no choice.

9. By Darren Urban on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

Edikkstra –

RE: Draft process

It is a group effort. They spend the next two weeks — front office, coaches and scouts — grading all the players in the draft. Then they put together a top 120 board for the draft. Rod Graves has final say, but there are very rare times when it comes to that. All the decisions are made in these two weeks, so when they get to the draft, they can go off of their board without argument.

10. By Ben on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

QUINN

11. By Mark in Chandler on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

Any vibes on how the coaching staff (especially Horton) graded DRC this past year? I have mentioned before that DRC does not fit a Horton defense. Full disclosure, I am not a DRC fan. He is the softest corner in the history of the NFL- and yes I am including Deon in that list. If he doesn’t completely shut down a receiver then he is worthless, a major liability. Offenses have figured out that you throw in front of DRC and then double move for big plays. I would imagine it takes supreme will power for Wilson not to break DRC in half everytime they watch film.

My off-season wish would be for the Cards to trade DRC for Kolb or Orton and 2012 picks (I prefer Orton but that is a different discussion). There are a lot of solid corners that will be FA this year and there are many that I would prefer to DRC. Give me a solid cover guy that tackles well and there will be a major improvement on the defense.

12. By D on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

Trade DRC? Are you drunk? He had a off year, but the kid with Horton should be back to pro bowl level. I wonder if Whiz and Graves would send next year’s #2 for Orten if and when these deals can be made…

13. By Darren Urban on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

Mark in Chandler –

RE: DRC

I have not talked to Horton about DRC yet. Horton has made clear he likes his DBs to be physical and tackle well and, by his own admission, that is not part of DRC’s game right now.

That said, DRC isn’t going anywhere for now. Even if they take someone like Peterson, DRC still has a place with the right motivation. I expect Horton — and Deshea Townsend — to be able to make some inroads there. Clearly DRC has the talent. Did he struggle — or worse — in 2010? Yes. I think he played pretty well in 2009 though. I think DRC is still maturing to a point, and I think he’s the kind of player who needs the team to be competitive to thrive. I’m not sure a losing team holds his interest enough. Not excusing or saying it’s OK (assuming I am right), but that’s just what it seems like to me.

14. By Mark in Chandler on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

Darren
    RE: DRC
    I understand DRC is still improving his game and 2010 was not a sample. To me it isn’t his technique, it is his physicality. Few things make me more frustrated as when I see DRC intentionally take an angle so he doesn’t have to hit a RB or when a catch is made in front of him he looks around to see who else will make the tackle before he either shoves weakly with one arm or throws a sholder that barely even moves the receiver. He is so intentionally soft that it gets me animated just explaining it. I know he has skills and that is why you could get value, but he drove me nuts every season he has played and under a steelers-corner-close-and-tackle defense he has to be making Horton tense and nonone has bads on yet. I just don’t think he will ever even be a marginal tackler.

15. By Darren Urban on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

Mark in Chandler –

RE: DRC physicality

Fair points. You may absolutely be right. But one year removed from the Pro Bowl, they aren’t suddenly going to trade him.

16. By Rob in South Carolina on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

What are chances the birds trade up for a second pick in the first round? Could give up their 2nd & 5th round picks.

It would be great to get Miller or Peterson along with Akim Ayers from UCLA.

17. By cardsalltheway on Apr 8, 2011 | Reply

brad oneill,
    I agree with you! I have no idea why Darren would promote this on his blog when yahoo users are accepted here but aren’t allowed to win. Go figure? Sad:(

18. By Darren Urban on Apr 8, 2011 | Reply

cardsall, Brad –

RE: Mock draft/yahoo

Where are you getting that Yahoo users can’t win? I checked with our people who are running the contest and they said they couldn’t find what you are talking about. Are we missing something?

19. By uncharacteristicaz on Apr 10, 2011 | Reply

Speaking of mocks, sort of, if Von Miller is there I hope we take him. If he isn’t and Peterson is I hope we take him. If we get Peterson I would love to see us miraculously land Brooks Reed he could stunt double for Clay Matthews and was nearly as explosive at the combine.

20. By uncharacteristicaz on Apr 10, 2011 | Reply

Anyone notice the panthers schedule these guys ARE getting LUCK.