In a rush to find a draft pick

Posted by Darren Urban on April 11, 2011 – 1:32 pm

A couple of odds and ends as the draft draws closer and — as we are apt to do this time of year — we all continue to analyze and over-analyze all things draft:

– NFL.com had a blog entry about why pass rushers may be becoming more valuable, noting that NFL draft analyst Mike Mayock has nine defensive ends going in the first round. The reasoning? It’s becoming harder to sack the quarterback in the first place. QBs are getting the ball out quicker than ever before and the pass plays are often designed to make sure pressure is avoiding, not to mention an actual takedown.

“Notice that quarterbacks were sacked 1.7 percent less in 2010 (6.1 percent) than they were in 1982 (7.8 percent),” the post by Elliott Harrison states. “That translates to a difference of about two sacks per 100 dropbacks. Considering we’ve seen how much one sack can alter a season – think of Troy Polamalu’s strip-sack of Joe Flacco last year — that’s a sizable difference. It’s also a factor in why so many teams are looking at defensive ends in the draft.”

OK, so the Cards won’t necessarily be looking at a defensive end. But pass rusher is what we are talking about here.

– Speaking of Mayock, he was on The Chuck and Vince Show Friday on KDUS (1060 AM) and talked about the quarterbacks. He said four quarterbacks — Newton, Gabbert, Mallett, Locker – have first-round ability. “The problem is that they all have holes,” Mayock said. “It’s a tough one. It’s the hardest quarterback class I have ever evaluated.”

Asked what he thought the Cardinals should do at No. 5, Mayock was blunt. “If the quarterback Gabbert is there, I think they sprint to the podium. In today’s NFL, if you don’t have one of those franchise guys, you have no shot. Arizona is a model franchise for that (theory). The minute Kurt Warner retires, it’s the same offense and defense, basically, and they can’t play a lick anymore.”

Do I have to mention I don’t think that’s how it goes? But I can tell you, many, many, many people (in the media or making these predictions) believe that’s what will happen.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

52 Responses to “In a rush to find a draft pick”

1. By harlanlee on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

Solving the Cardinal QB problem: If Gabbert is available, and the Cards draft him, and he is successful — fantastic grab!! But what if ……? There are no guarantees with the #5 pick. But I don’t expect the Cards to go QB with #5. I still say the Cards might trade down and give the Titans, Redskins or Vikings the chance to go QB with that pick — and live with the results. In such an uncertain NFL world, it certainly might make sense for the Cards to trade down, go for the best available athlete in the first round, then grab the best available QB in the second round (or later). If and when a new CBA arrives, the Cards might then go after a veteran to fill the gap while Skelton and the newest QB draftee continue to learn the ropes as QB trainees.

2. By AndyStandsUp on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

IMO, one of the main reasons there are less sacks now, than in 1982 is because the QB position has evolved from strictly stay in the pocket passers like Dan Marino, Dan Fouts and Bernie Kosar to guys that can also run when needed, like Steve Young, Randall Cunningham and Michael Vick.
    I have no problem with the Cards selecting Gabbert, IF they have him at the top of their board. It would just place a greater emphasis on finding a pass rusher more likely through FA/trade, ’cause I see them going OL with the second pick.

3. By Voice of Reason on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

I agree with you, Darren, in that I don’t see them taking Gabbert if he’s there and Peterson and Miller are both on the board.

I was listening to an interview with Chan Gailey on NFL Radio coming in this morning. He called Peterson a talent that you don’t see in every draft, and also gushed about Marcel Dareus. But when Von Miller came up, he kept referring to his speed, him maybe playing in nickel situations, and kept referring to “guys like Miller” when describing him. The interview led me to believe that at least Dareus and Peterson are higher on the Buffalo board than Miller, and if that’s the case, I think we have a good shot of seeing him at #5.

4. By Darren Urban on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

Voice —

RE: Chan Gailey

The only pause I have with that theory is that Gailey was the one who said recently that 90 percent of all pre-draft comments were lies, or something like that.

5. By Jesse Robles on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

These QB’s are the furthest away from being a sure pick. Gabbert at 5 is so dumb of a pick. The player we chose with that pick needs to play this year.

6. By Mario on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

Whiz has already whiffed on a Peterson in 07…he can’t afford to miss on this Peterson if Miller is gone…it should be Peterson. Gabbert is a project, we need playmakers.

7. By Mark in Chandler on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

I think what all of the national media sorts are not considering is Skelton. They view the Cardinals as if they have no QB options. I think the Cards would like to give Skelton another year or two but they think he has as much potential as most in this draft to be the guy. That said, they still do due diligence with the other QBS in the draft.

I have gone back and watched all of Skelton’s games when he started. He had a low percentage of completetion (generally around 50%) but I evaluated each one of his incompletions. At least 4 per game were just drops, uncharacteristic drops by Fitz, Hightower, Breaston and Beanie. If you take half of those drops and make them completions then he was very similar to Sanchez, Flacco, Safford, and Freeman in thier rookie years. He had 2 picks but one of them was off a tipped ball not due to a bad decision. It is impossible to know but I have wondered if the Skelton of the last 4 weeks had started all 16 games how many wins would we have had.

I think Whiz has been saying this. He doesn’t want to hand the crown to Skelton because he isn’t there yet but I think he still sees a lot of potential there and wants to give it time. As he has said many times Gibbs always made his Rookies sit for a few years and it was beneficial. Whiz always brings this point up almost to explain his approach.

My point is that you look at QBs much different in the draft if you think you might have a future Rogers-Rothlisberger on the team if he just gets a couple of years to mature. Then Bulger or Orton (at the right cost) become a better option than another project through the draft. That is what Mayock et. al. haven’t considered.

8. By Jon L on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    If Von miller is gone when the cards draft I would like to see them take Peterson in the first and an OLB like Ayers, Houston or Brooks Reed in the second, that being said there is no guarantee that any of those guys will be left if there is a run on OLB in the first round. When if ever do you see the cards looking at drafting O-line in this years draft?

9. By Rich on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

I am on record as saying that….if Gabbert is there….the Cards will take him. I don’t like it, but they won’t be able to pass. If that happens, the drama of analyzing and criticizing that pick will never end.

10. By Darren Urban on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

Jon L —

RE: Offensive line/draft

I could see it as soon as the second round. But it varies. Who is on the board? What have they already taken, etc.

11. By RelayTV on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

If they are available:

Peterson at #5, Jake Locker at #38, Brooks Reed at #69.

12. By RelayTV on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

Also,
    We will get Bulger to be our vet QB while Skelton and hopefully Locker, battle to be our new franchise QB. Fitz has already given his blessing to bring in Bulger, who can be gotten MUCH cheaper than Kolb, so that is who we will have (if there is a free-agency.)

We do not need a top-10 pass rusher, commanding a huge salary, we have #90 doing that already. The Cards just gave him his huge extension last season ($48Mil / $30 Guaranteed) We will not use our #5 pick for Miller unless we are going to unload Dockett.

He does need to play MUCH better though, to justify his pay.

13. By Andre on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

Darren-

RE: Chan Gailey

LOL, that gave me a good laugh. Nobody knows anything and everyone is trying to bump other players up so they have a shot at getting their high ranked draft pick. Maybe that’s what Whiz and many other coaches are doing with Newton and Gabbert and why many draft experts predict the Cards will draft Gab. The experts can see through it. I don’t know but that comment certainly throws all the “predictions” out the window. This is probably the most unknown draft for some time. They could pick Peterson, Miller, Gabbert, Quinn, Newton, Green, and even trade down. All are reasonable possibilities. At least last year and the previous years we had solid ideas where they were going. I had them picking Wells in 2009 and Williams in 2010. If Miller is gone I don’t know who they will pick. I give up trying to figure out.

14. By Dynasty on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

If the Cards find a dance partner to drop back a few spots in the draft (early to mid teens), do you think they would give strong consideration to Ryan Kerrigan? Although most of the talk about him has revolved around him as a 4-3 defensive end, I think the consensus was that he did quite well in the linebacker drills at the combine. Would he have enough speed for the Cards to consider him for OLB? He seems to be one of the cleanest players in the draft with some size and a good motor.

15. By cardsfan 46 yrs on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

there is NO way the cards at pick 5 take a qb, no way ,no how.not gonna happen.do i sneak in the cards offices to know this,i do not.but qb at 5 is not an option.

16. By Matt in Philly on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

You all heard it here: Aldon Smith is going to be the one of the three best OLB/DE taken in this draft. The guy is an absolute monster. I’d love to see us trade down to take Smith, and get an extra pick to add depth to our O-line. I would also love to see us take a guy like Quinton Carter out of OU. A great athlete, he would be a tremendous guy to have at that safety position, to one day replace A-Dub.

17. By Voice of Reason on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

Gailey was glowing of everyone — mine is pure speculation reading between the lines. With Dareus and Peterson, he was addressing that particular player. With Miller, he was addressing his position generally with the phrase “guys like him.” He never said he wouldn’t take Miller. Truth is, I imagine any coach would be thrilled to add any of those guys to their roster.

Gailey has one heck of a poker face if he’s consciously referring to some players specifically and others categorically.

Incidentally, John Clayton is convinced they’re going quarterback (a position Gailey did not address, at least in the portion of the interview I heard)…

18. By Voice of Reason on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

If I’m the Cards, I’m targeting two guys likely to slip into the second round, and then go best OL on the board if both are gone: Ryan Mallett and Kyle Rudolph. I’d run to the podium if Mallett is there at that time.

19. By Voice of Reason on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

And Jon — I’d be THRILLED with Peterson if he’s there. The draft hasn’t seen a CB this talented since Champ Bailey, and Charles Woodson before that. The dilemma comes if Miller is also there, or if both Miller and Peterson are gone in the top four.

20. By Bill L on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

Besides RUN to pick Gabbert, the best thing said on NFL network was…..the Cards need help at every position. Now the Cards have a choice…….build a real NFL team……..or, Keep the Payroll low so the owners can Bank More Cash. That decision has already been made and the draft will give a good hint as to what it was, If things fall right.

Take Gabbert……..says build a real team. Trade down for more picks and build and OL……says build a real team. Take Miller……says, we need to rent another poster model for a few years while the Bidwills stuff their pockets.Cards can’t guarantee the will get Kolb or even Bulger. They could well go into next year with DA or another DA and Skelton……..meaning No QB. But, it is just as well, why kill a decent QB with that OL. But, they will have Fitz and Miller to put on posters and program covers fo atleast another year………and the Bank Accounts get Fatter………….can you guess what I expect……..I would be happy to be wrong, but history says I’m right……….KaChing!!!!

21. By Darren Urban on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

RelayTV —

RE: pass rusher

Dockett did get a good payday. But for all his talents, he is not an edge rusher. Two totally different roles.

22. By Darren Urban on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

Dynasty —

RE: Kerrigan

I have a hard enough time narrowing down who they really like in the top five. Doing it for the mid-first next to impossible. I just don’t know much about him.

23. By Darren Urban on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

Bill L —

RE: Gabbert vs Miller

Love how you believe Gabbert means they are trying and Miller means they aren’t, when you have no earthly idea how either will pan out in the NFL.

24. By Bill L on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

I saw Charlie Casserly rate the recent young QBs including Gabbert;

1. Bradford
    2. Ryan
    3. Stafford
    4. GABBERT
    5. Flacco
    6. Sanchez
    7. Freeman

I really don’t understand why any fan would want a lower rated QBs over spending a 1st on Gabbert. How much film have they seen, on how many QBs? How many times have they graded out a player…….Mayock and Casserley, etc. have done this for a living for a years……..they talk to guys that have done it professionally for years…..yet someone with no basis says…….take so and so in the 2nd or 3rd round, etc.

Now Newton, I understand. The spread is so wide…….More QB skills are unknown or deficient……Gailey says DECISION Making and Accuracy are the on field keys…….yet Cam wasn’t asked to do the first and is not highly rated in the 2nd. In addition Cam’s character and work ethic have been brought into question severely. So I can see the logic in no CAM. But, Gabbert has run a pro offense in HS(heavily recruited to Stanford by Harbaugh)…….he has run pro QB drills for over a year on his own time……even in his O in college he was in a READ offense…….he is a reputed gym rat…..and rated with a very strong arm and very accurate. ………So it amazes me……..don’t take that high rated player at THE MOST IMPORTANT POSITION……..take some lower rated more flawed guy later.

Of course with the current mindset of Cards Ownership and Mgmt……I hope for Gabbert’s sake, they pass on him if he is unlucky enough to be there…….or, better yet the Bidwills decide to build a real team, trade out to build an O-Line in the first, get there D needs in the 2nd and 3rd, get their QB next year and for a BIG CHANGE in Forever, BRING a REAL TEAM/FRANCHISE to Arizona………..we all know that is either a pipe dream or a miracle.

25. By Scott H on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

Well, I must say, I agree with Mayock 100% on this one. If you’re paying attention at all to today’s NFL, it’s ALLLLLLLLLL about the QB. If you have one, you have a chance. If you ain’t got one, you’re 5-11. And, yes, there was NO better example of that last season than our very own Cardinals. Warner’s here last year, we win at least 10 games, take the division easy, and we win at least one playoff game. With no QB? We’re off the map and right to the bottom of the worst division in the NFL. That’s why I don’t get why people think we need a defensive player at #5. If the QB the team wants can be obtained with a later pick or via a trade, fine. Go defense with #5. If not, forget defense – we NEED to get a QB with that pick. We are not getting up off this mat without a better QB than what we had last year.

BTW, if the team truly thinks Skelton is the guy and they opt to go with him, then I’m OK with that. If not? QB is priority one.

26. By Steve on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

Darren: I dont get the “safe pick” theory for this 1st round, Peterson is an oversized CB who runs well but has some problems in coverage reminiscent of Antrel Rolle and like Rolle will probably get moved to Safety. Robert Quinn has not played football for 16 months, has a benign tumor in his head and might not be a good fit for a 3-4 defense, yet these two guys are probably considered “safer” picks in Whisenhunts mind than Gabbert. Casserly rates Gabbert a better prospect coming out of college than Sanchez, Flacco and Freeman-all bonafide good starting QB’s in this league but thats still not good enough for the Cards. This front office has played it safe for years and years and the net result usually has been mediocrity, they just dont have the stones to draft Gabbert.

27. By Voice of Reason on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

Here’s the problem with Gabbert as I see it:

1. Anybody hear of him during the college football season? I know I heard very little. Guys that make their name after the season is over (i.e. once someone like Mayock or Kiper mention it) historically do not do well. See Kyle Boller, Akili Smith as examples.

2. Most prognosticators project that Gabbert will be a good, but not great, qb at the NFL level. Top 5 picks do not make good, but not great, money. They make top flight money. Teams that reach for a quarterback that most think will be “good” tend to put themselves in a financial hole and stay “good” but not “great” [think Phoenix Suns]. I say get a game changer when you’re that high, and I think Miller or Peterson fit that bill.

A pro for Gabbert — he’d be in the catbird seat if we picked him. The quarterback play was SO atrocious last season, he’ll look phenominal just because he isn’t DA or Hall.

If I’m at five, I still have Miller and Peterson on my board ahead of Gabbert and Newton.

28. By Darren Urban on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

Steve —

RE: “safe picks”

I don’t presume to know what Whisenhunt thinks is safe. Maybe he just doesn’t think, for instance, Gabbert is as good as Peterson. I know Casserly has Gabbert rated as such, and he might be right. He might be wrong. Casserly is like a lot of pundits, he is a pundit and not a GM right now because he had enough misses to have his team move on. That’s not a shot, it’s just reality. Scouting these guys, in the end, is subjective.

There is no such thing as safe anyway. If the first rounder is a bust, everyone will remind them over and over of that fact, even if certain people wanted that player. If they could have taken a player and he goes on to star elsewhere, they’ll get criticized too. So easy for people to sit back and say, “Take a risk, take a risk.” Teams make bad decisions, and the Cards are no exception. But it is hilarious to me that people think they do it on purpose, when losing gets them fired. Why exactly would they do that?

All these meetings are for right now are to sort out grades on these players and deciding on who to take. What I don’t get is this idea of, “Hey, let’s call out the Cards and basically say they are collective wimps or whatever if they don’t take so-and-so.” Your comment is the second such along those lines. Let me ask this: You want your team making picks based on the fact fans are daring them to do so? God I hope not.

29. By drummer-1 on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

@Bill

Why is it that if they draft Miller they are just trying to line their bank account, but if the draft Gabbert they are trying to build a winning franchise? maybe they are trying to build the franchise with the defense first like the Jets, Ravens, Steelers,you have to start somewhere, way not the d…. OR is it you just want to find something to complain about..Hell i’m a drummer, if Mike Mayock told you i’ll be a great qb would you draft me cause he said i would be good, Russell, Leaf,Leinart,Smith just to name a few we’re all good college QB’s look at them now.. why not give Skelton the chance atlease he’s played in nfl and we know what he can do.. We know nothing about Gabbert.

30. By Relay TV on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

Yes Darren, I get the difference between DT and OLB.

My point was/is if the Cards are willing to pay an untested rookie huge $ to pressure the QB, then why didn’t they just outbid the Dolphins and keep Dansby, or pick up Gary Brackett from the Colts?

I see, as I always do, the bottom line in every decision the Cards front office makes. (Not that it’s a bad thing.)

Peterson and Miller would both improve the team immediately, but Peterson would cost less. That’s why I think they pick him over Miller, if both are available.

Either way, I am planning to attend the draft this year. So look for me, I’ll be the one wearing the MIghty Pat Tillman’s jersey,

31. By Darren Urban on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

Relay —

RE: Money/pass rusher

I don’t doubt you know the difference between DT and OLB. But Dansby and, Von Miller, for instance are two totally different players. Dansby played the inside and was not an edge rusher. They don’t have that guy and haven’t since Bertrand Berry was in his pre-injury heyday of 2004. Peterson will not cost less. The pick itself will dictate the financial terms. If Peterson is the choice, he will make just about the same as Miller, or vice versa. If it’s a QB, usually there is a premium paid to that position and it’s a little more. But there will be no cost difference regardless of any other rookie taken.

32. By Roger on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

I don’t like a QB this year. Last yeat it seemed as if they really did not have a plan for replacing Kurt. Who really thought DA was the answer? It was more like we need somebody, anybody, and he was the only one who answered the phone. If just shows how valuable Kurt was. He made up for a lot of holes. I don’t like another draft pick on a QB. That doesn’t help and after last season, if we can’t put a competitive team on the field, there won’t be many butts in the seats. If they take a QB, who gets cut? Agreed DA is gone but he needs to be replaced w/ an experienced guy who can play today. If they draft a QB, they still need someone to play on opening day. Where will they go first round? I have no idea but defense has the most holes to fill. I would love to have Patrick Peterson opposite DRC but know that’s pobably not going to happen. I would love to see a defensive end that can rush the passer (as long as they are not from FSU). O-line needs to be addressed as well. What really sucks is that due to the CBA, we can’t sign FA’s so you don’t know what you’ll be working with when season starts. It’s a bad situation having to draft not knowing what your holes are. Hope I’m pleasantly surprised.

33. By Big Red on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

I just don’t understand why you all, keep talking about another QB, when we have John Skelton and I asure you he will be our next franchise QB. Right, coach Whiz!!!!!

34. By Eazy E on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

Blaine is not any ”safer” than Cam. Cam should be the only QB we should draft at 5. We need a QB badly but we can’t screw this up, Leinart was a horrible miss, we can’t miss this time if we draft a QB extremely high, Cam or draft another position(i.e. peterson, miller). You can’t say a guy is safer than this guy because you just don’t know, it is a crapshoot, all you can do is hope that it turns out right.

35. By Steve on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

Darren: Look, these are the facts, if you take away the last 2-3 years with Warner at the helm, this team has been, with the exception of the Bengals and a couple other teams, one of the least successful NFL franchises in league history since the NFL and AFL merged. Not hating on the Cards, I’m a fan but the team loses way more than they win year in and year out and you cannot refute that. If you look further into it you’ll see that the team rarely selects QB’s high in the draft despite having had a multitude of top 10 picks throughout the years. Neil lomax was probably the last franchise type QB the team has had since Warner and he was a high draft choice, since then the Cards have run out the likes of Gary Hogeboom, Chris Chandler, Steve Buerlein, Jay Schroeder, Jim McMahon, Boomer Esiason, Jeff Blake, ect, all of them being taken off the scrap heap with disastrous results. My point is that the Cards seem to have an aversion to selecting QB’s in the top 2 rounds and by my count have only done it 5 times in the last 30 years of their draft history, dont you think theres some correlation between that philosophy and their lack of winning football games? I’m not suggesting the fans make the picks for the team but for arguements sake how much worse could we do?

36. By cardsalltheway on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

Mark in Chandler,
    By your theory, was M. Hall just a guinea pig?

37. By Jeff Gollin on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

I was with Darren on this one, til recently – when I started lining up our QB options – including FA veterans, trade possibilities, blue-chip rookies and next-echelon rookies – on a “mini-board.”

I was extremely underwhelmed by what was out there in veteran free agency (I am not on the Kolb bandwagon, don’t know if Palmer will ever regain his mojo and am willing to kick in money for Bulger’s, McNabb’s or Hasselbeck’s AARP membership dues. Not that one of them couldn’t surprise – just that the odds are stacked against them). Plus – there’s no guarantee that we can sign the guy we want. Plus there’s the CBA hangup).

There comes a point when you have to ask yourself whether or not the gap between the veterans and a top rookie is sufficiently narrow to make drafting the rookie sufficiently less risky that it makes him more attractive an option than the veteran.

For this reason, I’m thinking more and more that Newton or Gabbert wouldn’t be a horrible way to go.

I realize that we bet the store on another high-profile rookie (Leinart) and lost; and it may have taught the Cardinal FO a bitter lesson about the risk involved in drafting QB with a high pick. But you could also point out that, with the exception of Warner, our rolling the dice on a veteran QB (i.e. Anderson) hasn’t consistently paid off either.

Since standing pat is apparently no option, the Cardinal FO will have to buckle its chin-strap, forgo looking in the proverbial rear view mirror, forget its past mistakes and pull the trigger on one of the rookies or a veteran. (We just have to hope that Rod, Steve, Wiz and Michael have learned from their past experiences with regard to a QB.

38. By cardsalltheway on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

Bill L.,
    “Take Gabbert……..says build a real team. Trade down for more picks and build and OL……says build a real team. Take Miller……says, we need to rent another poster model for a few years while the Bidwills stuff their pockets.”

As you know we needed a QB last year but didn’t take a QB in the 1st round so what makes you even think for one moment we would this year when the OL is of MUCH more important NOW? Some say Ken W. is stubborn, he didn’t pick a QB last year so do you really think he’s going to this year and how/why would picking Gabbert equate to “build a team?” I know I know, too many questions but how or why would Miller mean “poster model” while Gabbert would not? Good job at trying to divert attention away from the real Cardinal draft intentions!

39. By john d on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

Its obvious that the greatest need is at QB. So they pick Peterson and he has 2 or 3 sacks per game. Great. Then the offense comes on the field and just like last year they are horrid and its 3-and-out. How has that improved things? Sacks are far less important than offense. And as for the reasoning that Gabbert won’t be “ready to start,” this is a team that started a guy who played in the UFL. And lets not get our hopes up with Bulger or some other vet who is on the way down rather than up. Bulger is the reason the Rams drafted Bradford (who, by the way, started immediately. And the Rams almost made the playoffs).

40. By Steve on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

I also dont understand most of the Cards fans infatuation with Skelton as our QB of the future, he was taken late last year out of Fordham, not exactly a hotbed of future NFL talent. Not knocking the guy but there’s a reason he was still around late in the draft. The draft is a crapshoot, no question about it but look at most of the teams who regularly make the playoffs every year, most have QB’s who were very high draft picks out of big-time college programs. Doesn’t always work out such as with Leinart but if were picking top 10 and there’s a QB rated there who has the ability and work ethic to become a franchise QB, we have to draft him, simple as that.

41. By SteveDCO on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

Wow, we need the season to start, the fans are getting it to a rage already.

Dansby is a good to very good ILB. The reason draft picks are worth so much more is the chance to get a HoF player. This is the reason McFadden a starting CB was only worth a 5th and Wells was worth a 6th(?).

Everyone saying the “experts” want know who should be picked and this person is safer than this….if they were great at predicting players they would be GMs for teams making millions not on NFL Network.

The draft is an impreftect science.

The Bidwills have been pretty good owners since moving into UoP Stadium. So let’s see what they do in FAgency (if we have one) and in the draft before running them out of town. I’m guessing LA would take the LA Cardinals in a heart beat.

Darren – With no true offseason yet, do you still come to the facility everyday or is the lockout like a mini-vacation. Has to be hard creating content with no access to players on no free agencey.

42. By Darren Urban on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Taking a first-round QB

Hey, I’m not saying you don’t have a point. Is there a correlation between not having a franchise QB and not winning? Hell yes. But finding a franchise QB and drafting one early (especially if you don’t believe he is a franchise guy) isn’t always easy. They just tried, if you recall. Matt Leinart was supposed to be that guy. He wasn’t.

Do the Cards need a QB? Yes. Last year, Whisenhunt loved — absolutely loved — Bradford. There was no way they were going to get him, though.

It’s a crapshoot. Like I said yesterday, if they take Gabbert and pass on, say, Von Miller, and Miller becomes T Suggs and Gabbert is, I don’t know, Alex Smith, people aren’t going to be happy. Should the Cards take a risk? Maybe. But there are more question marks about Gabbert/Newton than I can remember about guys at the very top of the draft since Smith/Aaron Rodgers in 2005. The wrong choice messes your team up for a while.

43. By Darren Urban on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

Steve DCO —

RE: My job/content

Definitely easier to create content when players are hanging around and you can shoot the breeze with them in the locker room. I often get a lot of story idea/blog entries that way. Don’t have that right now.

That said, we are going to try and continue to get up as much information as we can. After the draft, if this lingers, it’s going to get harder and harder. But the draft upcoming helps (preseason schedule will be out later today too).

As for a mini-vacation, uh, no. I still come to work every day, trying to grind out what I can.

44. By drummer-1 on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

@Steve

45. By Mario on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

46. By Papi1960R on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

We need a QB and we need a defensive precence. I see all the hype of Von Miller and I feel he is an awesome football player. Yes he was 6’2″ 240at the combine, but that was on a 12 weeks very specific training regime, ment to get him up to 238-240 for the combine. No football drills, no hitting, it was all designed to get him close to 240 for the combine. He played the last 2 years at 225 or less in a conference with a very weak array of Tackles and Fulbacks. Now I think he is outstanding, but he has the body and allout attack attitude that generally leads to 2 maybe 3 yeras in the league. Now every OT and FB are better than anyone he saw at A&M.
    We want ot be Steelers-West on Defense, so a couple of notches down on the list is Justin Houston of Georgia, played against better OLs and Fbs in the SEC. Played 4 years at 260-265lbs. Showed up at the combine at 6’4″ 270Lbs, ran his 40 within a arms length of Miller and was faster in most of the shuttle runs and way better in the strength tests. Houston’s interviews grade out as a very smart football player with great instincts. Miller’s grade out as a over achiever who plays 95% instintively.
    Houston’s final grade is as a Pittsburgh LB like James Hariston with 6-7-8 years to give in the NFL, Miller’s is as a small Charles Halley, a DE with maybe 4 years in the NFL. Get Colin Kaepernick in the second, hes Cam Newton with better feet, a stronger more accurate arm and no personal Baggage.

47. By Charlie on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

I don’t see how they could pass on a shutdown corner. Take Peterson and hope he isn’t Rolle 2.0

48. By Michael M on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

IMO, If Miller, Gabbert, Peterson, or Newton are available at #5, i would go with Gabbert. Yes, I can see why people would disagree with it (Skelton..the Leinart failure..big payday for an untested QB..defense first..etc). If we want to win the NFC West Title and potentially the Superbowl, we need to upgrade at QB. The Rams have upgraded at QB by taking Sam Bradford(7-9), Seattle will most likely find a replacement for Matt Hasselbeck in this year’s draft(Jake Locker, Ryan Mallet…maybe Christian Ponder.) I could see the Whiners trading with Philadelphia for Kolb and I think a Kolb-Crabtree combination would be extremely dangerous.
    Say we pass on Gabbert and the Whiners pick him up, even a Gabbert-Crabtree looks scary, and I hate to say it but they would win the division if they had a QB. If the Rams had an outstanding receiver, giving Bradford a target to throw to, no doubt probably would of won the division. T
    Why Gabbert? Gabbert is pretty accurate and can throw a pretty good deep ball, he is best at mid-range and short.. so he has options when throwing the ball. Release Derek Anderson, I don’t get picking up a “vet” in FA. Bulger..? Makes sense for a back up, but Bulger hasn’t done anything in the NFL. One good year, then many bad years in St. Louis, and then an off year with the Ravens. Who says he has any left to give, I think Bulger is done.
    This is how I see it, Blaine will be a good quarterback in the league, if he goes to the Cardinals he will already have the best receiver in the NFL. Accuracy is the key and Gabbert has it. At Mizzou Blaine was extremely good when he was throwing to Danario Alexander, he was accurate and made every throw to him, he was the playmaker. Fitz is our playmaker, but he can’t be the playmaker if he is not getting the ball. To me Skelton is the not the QB in Arizona, if we want to win and actually be a contender every single year we have to get a QB, my vote is for Gabbert. Hopefully he will continue what Warner left, but to compare a rookie to a hall of famer , is just setting big expectations that could turn to failures.

49. By rgam357 on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

No team can be a consistant winner without an Offensive line to Protect the QB. A quick release helps, ala: Curt Warners success, but Arizonas O-line is terrible. Forget a QB until the O-line, CB, and Pass rusher problems are solved. In fact, Tank this year, take Luck 1st pick next year, after fixing the holes on Offense and Defense.

50. By Michael M on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

-drummer-1
    “Just because Skelton was not a a top tier draft pick does not mean he’s not good, give the man more than 4 games to prove himself, Tom Brady was drafted in the 5th round or was it the 6th, i think he’s pretty good, Matt Leinart 1st rd now 3rd string, Ryan Leaf 1st rd didn’t last 4 seasons.. get the point?”
    -Mario
    “For all who are riding the Gabbert Hype train…please get off. The NFL network (Condon) cronnies want you to follow like sheep, but haven’t laid out any specific stats or accurate analysis of why Gabbert is better. They just keep repeating it like politicians. He didn’t even win his Bowl game.”
    Drummer-1… Yes there are some QB’s who do good coming from the later rounds, but It is rarely, Tom Brady was the diamond in the rough for the Patriots, they didn’t know then that he would give them 3 superbowls and a crud load of wins. Good QBs do come from the first round (Phillip Rivers, Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger, Matt Ryan, Mark Sanchez, Sam Bradford, Mike Vick, D McNabb) I would give Skelton a chance, but I still would draft Gabbert, Skelton doesn’t have to be a top tier draft pick to fail. Either does Gabbert.
    Mario… For the bowl game statement, he was playing for Mizzou, they don’t win every game and they really aren’t a contender for the national championship, because teams like Texas, Florida, Alabama, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Miami, recruit all of the top players, he doesn’t have to win his bowl game to be good. Bradford lost the national championship, he is good. Gabbert is a Missouri native as I am, and he played for Parkway West. Blaine Gabbert and his brother Tyler have been both great in highschool and they would beat my highschool everytime we played(its pretty sad). He chose Mizzou because of location, he was a 5 star prospect, he was considering Alabama or Nebraska also. A 5 star prospect before going to college, a Top 5 draft pick coming out of college. The stats are there, the film is there(watch it) listen to him talk. He knows what he is doing and he knows what he has to do. He has proved that he could do it also, so maybe you should jump on the train and hope we get him, because if he falls to a rival team(Whiners), trust me it will be a mistake to pass up on him. He is the best QB in the Draft.
    Many say why risk it on Gabbert, all of the draft picks are risks, but you have to risk it to get the biscuit, a risk I would be willing to do everytime.

51. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

@Michael M,

Thank you for proving that someone actually follows college football. It amazes me that so many are doubting Gabbert because they hadn’t heard of him until they started reading draft reviews. All that proves is a complete lack of knowledge about Big 12 football, not that he’s a post-season draft creation.

2. Apr 11, 2011: Top Posts — WordPress.com