• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Fitz gets the guys together

Posted by Darren Urban on April 12, 2011 – 3:04 pm

A story today from Kent Somers about how Larry Fitzgerald organized a workout today for 20 Cards over at Arizona State University. Kent doesn’t list everyone involved, but among those there were Rex Hadnot, Tim Hightower, Lyle Sendlein, Clark Haggans, Max Hall and John Skelton. With no way to come to the facility now in lieu of the lockout, this was always a possibility. The day after the season, Sendlein even talked about the need to work on their own.

Kent notes only eight guys were there Monday. Giving a “lineup” of who is there and who isn’t is always dicey. These things are even more voluntary than the regular “voluntary” workouts of an offseason. (Side note: I remember one year covering the team for the East Valley Tribune when I did a story on the opening of voluntary conditioning work and got specific about a few guys who were there and a few guys who were not. I noted big tackle Leonard Davis wasn’t there. The next day, Davis was on the field when I went outside to make a phone call. “I’m here, Darren,” Davis yelled out. “I’m here Darren.” He wasn’t mad. I don’t think. But he made his point.)

Always good to see some of the players be willing to do such things. Even better to see Fitz spearheading it. (Read Kent’s piece for a few Fitz quotes). Of course, I’d love for labor peace to come sooner rather than later, so I could write some of these stories myself. For now, though, it’s important. We still could see a lot of Skelton-to-Fitzgerald this season. Better to have them work on that timing now.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

33 Responses to “Fitz gets the guys together”

1. By Travis McCollum on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

Its good to hear that our players are out there getting these type of thing done. Glad Larry taking that Leader role to the next Level.

2. By dean on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

ya baby!!!!!! glad to hear it.

3. By ross on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

Hightower is ready to emerge as an all pro. Book it.

4. By Scott H on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

Way to go, Larry. That’s what we call leadership. Great to see him taking on this role. I think it also shows his committment to the Cardinals and, hopefully, it is a sign that he is intending to remain a Cardinal.

5. By Brian R. on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

Larry is a pro on and off the field.

6. By AZLOGAN on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

Dont you think thats all the more reason not to pick Gabbert at 5? Fitz and Skelton are working together now and working on their chemistry now. And they dont even have too be! Give the ball to Skelton next season and we’ll be seeing Skelton to Fitz for years to come.

7. By AndyStandsUp on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

Nice to see the players working out even though they may get hurt and would not be able to receive or use the team’s medical staff or facility. (Especially Sendlein, a possible FA who might not be a Cards next season.)
    If the players can use retired coaches like Jerry Sullivan, as Somers reported, is there anything to stop them from getting instruction from someone whom might be more inclined to know the intricacies ala Warner for Skelton and Hall?
    A question to your story about the preseason schedule, Darren. Since the Oakland game will probably be Saturday, August 13th and the old CBA restricts teams from opening Training Camp no earlier than 15 days before the first preseason game, would that put the logical first day in Flagstaff July 29th and the Red/White Scrimmage August 6th? (If they play at all, of course.)
    Hopefully, I have to start making plans.

8. By Andre on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

I don’t care Darren, put up who didn’t go. Cause of the lockout, the fact that we have a lot of young guys, and that we have a new defensive coordinator the Vets have a responsibility to show up to these “voluntary” workouts and help everyone else. If Fitz is setting it up, everyone else better show up….seriously.

9. By Marcelo on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

Darren, your sentence Skelton-to-fitz means something bout not drafting any QB ? I been reading the news at NFL.com and Gabbert is highly thought to be in the desert next season. I see both as prospects franchise quarterbacks… but I remember what you wrote couple of weeks ago, cads may not go risk a shot in a rookie QB as they have Skelton, that wouldn`t be worth.

Von Miller might turn opposite`s offense a chaos… hope he`s available till 5th round…

well, I`m not bein paid to choose any guy, I ain`t got neither the knowledge nor the experience of football… let the guys who work on that take the shot, just hope they can be luckier thatn SF`s when drafting smith over Rodgers

10. By Pete on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

Really impressed with Fitz, in general; his latest display of being a leader and all0around stand-out guy further solidifies my appreciation of the man he is. And it’s no less a good thing to see the guys who were present be alongside Fitzgerald themselves. Shows a winning attitude to a man. But what of the rest? Where are the others? Why isn’t every player on the team out there with those noted? Because management hasn’t been able to openly demand it? Do they really need anything other than their own hearts to tell them to get out there, work hard and work harder still, and do what it takes to win a championship? This is going to be a tough year ahead of any team with real aspirations of being something, er, super, and it’ll be tougher still for those who aren’t doing what’s necessary to separate themselves from, er, the pack.

11. By R Robles on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

Great hope Dockett Wilson DRC get the D working out too.Go Cardinals!!!!!!

12. By Cole on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

HEY LETS GO Cards Ready take that super bowl W fitz all around awesome player timmy boy is gonna be a monster along with skelton

13. By Brandon LA on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

Larry Fitzgerald. PRO! “period”

I hate to change the subject. PHX Coyotes are set to do battle. I would appreciate some support from Cards fans alike. I remember Doan(coyotes captain) even guest commentating at one of the Cards ’10 preseason game last year. We need to show some love back. Hope we can rally!–Anyway Go cards, coyotes etc… AZ!

PS thanks for holdin’ it together for us Darren. Appreciate it. And the new videos “All in” are cool. Keep it coming.

14. By Darren Urban on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

azlogan –

RE: Skelton working out

I assume you mean the fact Skelton and Fitz are working out together is all the more reason not to pick Gabbert? Not necessarily. Throwing some pass routes in April to stay in shape is hardly a guarantee there is future success.

15. By Darren Urban on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands –

RE: Camp dates

All those make sense to me.

16. By Donavon L. on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

Good Skelton and Fitz working out. Is it me or do we already have our future starting qb.

17. By Ken on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

I hear all these comments about Skelton not being ready and I actually think he is going to have a breakout season this year if they let him start. Is there a reason we havent heard more about him? Are they keeping it on the down low or is he really that bad? I hope we get an answer at QB soon because I really think the Matt Leinart decission is really gona come back and haunt us.

18. By Nick Pepe on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

@ Ross – let’s hope he can hold onto the ball.

As far as Fitz goes…..too bad the hick from French Lick already has the nickname of Larry Legend, or it would fit him nicely. Although, I don’t see him as a nick-name sort of gentleman. That would draw attention to ones self and he is just not that way. Make room in the ring of honor now!

Darren- will they still be doing stadium tours in July, prior to Flagstaff? Looking forward to the trip out July 17!

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member

19. By Darren Urban on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

Nick –

RE: Stadium tours

I assume those will be ongoing. E-mail me at askdarren@cardinals.nfl.net if you want me to specifically check it out.

20. By Eazy E on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

Larry is a great player and leader and this is what they do.

21. By Nick Pepe on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

The only regret we should have about Matt L. Is drafting him in the first place!! Enough already.

22. By cards62 on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

Larry as always is awesome, but I think he is just like us fans and just wants the Cardinals to win next year. I hope he is a Cardinal for life but I think it is up to the front office to put a winning team on the field. Larry just wants to be a big part of a winning team and a playoff team. Not the whole show just part of the winning show.He is my team MVP last year and this year before the season even starts.

Hopefully the other guys are working out at home also and not running around like Kenny Britt of the Titans.

Saw some moch drafts for us lately and really liked who they had us picking in the first 2 rounds. I will not mention any names as I do not wish to jinx it.
    Just looking forward to the draft and football in 2011.

Go Cards!

23. By wny cardfan on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

Larry is just all around great, leader, driven, great player, good attitude etc. They need to make sure this guy stays however they can. I agree with most, don’t burn the 5th with a QB, get defense.

24. By cactus jeff on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

I like your top 8, I would only extend the list to top 9 and add JJ Watt. Clayborn could be the next Dockett.

25. By Voice of Reason on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

Yeah, I saw Leonard Davis walking out of Lambeau Field after a game against the Cardinals in 2006. Not sure he ever needed to announce that he was there. The sky just gets darker.

26. By bobcat2444 on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

Just curious is does the lockout bar the Agents from talking to the Owners to talk about extensions deals that they could have ready for when the player are no longer locked out to sign? Hope it makes sense

27. By Darren Urban on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

bobcat –

RE: Agent talk

There is not conversation between agents and teams right now.

28. By SeeingRed on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

Where da suck is Beanie or Doucet?? about time they both stepped up and started to be leaders on this team.

Darren-I know others may have asked or you may have said already but is there gonna be another draft party this year? I know the players wouldn’t be able to attend but is there gonna be any festivities??

Thanks!

29. By Stuart on Apr 14, 2011 | Reply

Crazy that this is going on, i was just thinking the other day that Skelton to show that leadership QB quality we need should orginize some Team workout’s. I really hope this guy works out as a Cardinal Starting QB he’s got the size and passion I always saw in Warner, we just need that accuracy and timing with the recievers from him. GREAT JOB FITZ!!!! Love your leadership man please always stay a Cardinal.

Question I here we are looking real strong at a ILB from Texas to take in the first round. How true is that?

30. By Darren Urban on Apr 14, 2011 | Reply

Stuart –

RE: First round pick

I think there are so many variables that go into that first pick, I wouldn’t say anyone is “real strong.”

31. By Louisville Card on Apr 15, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren, nice article. I was wondering if there were any chance if there is still a work stoppage when Fitz has his work outs in Minnesota that Fitz might invite any potential free agent qb’s that the cards may be looking at to come throw a little to see who might be a better fit?

32. By Darren Urban on Apr 15, 2011 | Reply

Louisville Card –

RE: Fitz workouts

In theory he could do that but that’s a question you’d have to ask Fitz — which right now, I cannot do.

2. May 5, 2011: Word From the Birds BlogDoing work, just not here «