Tell us your game day story

Posted by Darren Urban on April 13, 2011 – 9:59 am

Many of you – all of you? – have your traditions on game day. It might have to do with tailgating or face painting or something else off the beaten path, as you gear up for a Sunday of football at University of Phoenix Stadium.

What the Cardinals want to know is your story. About your tradition(s).

I don’t want to get too detailed right now (because really, what’s the fun without a little suspense?) but we’re looking for you to lay out your Sunday-for-football for us. We have a couple of projects we are working on for which this info is crucial. So tell us your rituals, your routines, your stories. Send them to askdarren@cardinals.nfl.net (with “Traditions” in the subject line). Be as detailed as possible. Let us know, like Larry Fitzgerald uses Russ Grimm to toss him a ball over his head from behind a few hours before kickoff, how you prep for a game. Be sure to include a name and a way to be contacted. We will see what Game Day is all about.

Tags: , ,

25 Responses to “Tell us your game day story”

1. By Rich Fourmy on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

We start drinking beer first thing upon waking up!

2. By Joanna on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

We have club seats so on home game days we get there 3 hours early and watch the early game there on TV. It is a good way to meet fellow fans.

3. By THERESA on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

“TRADITIONS”
    WELL MY DAD IS A GREAT FAN HE HAS FOUR KIDS SINCE WE WERE LITTLE HE ALWAYS HAD BBQ….WE DID TAILGATIN BUT ITS NOT LIKE IT USE TO BE U CAN STAY DURING THE GAME SO WE GET TOGERTHER AT MY BIG BROTHERS HOUSE I WISH I HAD MY OWN TO DO IT BUT I RENT AN ITS TO LITTLE WE LOVE THE CARDINALS WE ALL GET TOGETHER FOR EVERY GAME DAY WE ALL HAVE JERSEY’S EVEN BABYS AN PUPPYS..WE HAVE CARNDINALS CUPS CARDINALS PLATES EVERY THING CARDINALS EVEN CUPCAKES CAKES WE HAVE HOTDOGS HAMBURGERS CARNE ASADA CHICKEN STEAKS PORK BEAN POTATO SALAD MUSIC PLAYING AN WE DECERATE ALL THE HOUES ITS A BLAST THEN WE FACE PAINT THE LITTLE ONES… WE LOVE WHEN THE SESSON BACK ITS LIKE FAMMILY TIME.BUT WE HATE WHEN ITS OVER BUT NOW IT COMIN BACK AN WERE SO EXCITED…..LOVE ROBLES FAMILY

4. By Leslie on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

Rain or Shine, Hot or cold. Fire up the grill, fill the ice chest, and drag the T.V. outside. Which was recently upgraded from a 42″ to a 50″. Also, got a cable connection just put in outside. The neighbors scream and shout I say you can’t beat us so you better join us. New baby due August 17th, he better not be late football season is here! The first outfit he get’s will be Cardinals, hey he can’t be an outcast right off the bat. 5 kids plus my husband and myself all in jersey’s. oh the anticipation!!!!! Go Cards, I hope for a big come back this year……

5. By mrfreemanaz on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

My wife stays as far away from a Az Cardinal game as possible. she believes when she watches the game shes a bad omen. N omatter how much i try, the second a bad play happens she gets frustrated and leaves, and will not return. Me I stand thorughout the game.

6. By mrfreemanaz on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

Darren -

how are the AZ approaching the RB position this year, or if maybe Jaquiz Rogers would be on radar. Hes scouted low but he was the best player at oregan state. alot of power, speed, and shiftiness for for being only 5’7 but at almost 200 lbs and a lean body shape hell be able to carry weight well throughout his career. i think hes a huge sleeper in the 4th or 5th

7. By Darren Urban on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

mrfreemanaz –

RE: RB

I know Jason Wright was considering retirement and if he did so, I would think the Cards would be looking for someone. Whether it is Rogers or not is a different story.

8. By Scharf on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

Besides staying up all night Saturday breaking down our opponents and what’s going on in the NFL. I typically will wake up early Sunday – my TV is tuned to NFL from Sunday morning to Sunday night. I will typically work on things with my dad in the garage during pregame and start making some snacks, cheese dip being a traditional food that I have been doing since the Cardinals Superbowl run. From the moment the kickoff commences, I am on the edge of my seat watching every play. And although it’s not a tradition, I usually try and throw the football during halftime. Also – win or lose I sport my Cardinals Jersey the following day at school/work. I have a Hightower jersey, and a DRC Jersey. Whichever side of the ball performs the best gets to be shown off the next day.

Q: I came up with a scenario and was wondering how it would work. During a lockout, NFL and players can’t communicate correct? If so, does that mean even if you are neighbors you can’t say hello? Or you just can’t talk football at all?

9. By R Robles on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

Nothing to crazy put on my red Adidas shorts grab my #24 Wilson jersey throw that on. My son throws on his Fitzgerald jersey on. Turn on the TV & Stereo raise that son bitch up. go to the freezer & get my Cardinals cup my son bought me a couple years back fill that cup with Red gatorade & start getting ready for a battle. Those days are the best WIN or Lose CARDINALS 4 Life!!!!

10. By R Robles on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

Oh missed one thing turn on my Cardinlas light thingy my moms bought me a clear heavy rock with different color lights on the bottom right before the games on & off when were done.

11. By Brian R. on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

My first Arizona Cardinal game was when the Saints played the Cardinals at home.

12. By Darren Urban on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

Scharf –

RE: neighbors

I think with so much at stake, not communicating means not communicating.

13. By Timbo Slice on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

First thing in the morning I go outside and hang my Cards banner above the Garage door! Then put on jersey, hat, grab a frosty Cards mug and a bud light and sit and watch the Cardinals Do Work!!

14. By Rich K on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

We get ready to TAILGATE! We grill lots of food and talk to other folks in the parking lot. We listen to the game on the radio inside the stadium. After victories, we drink Champaigne that has the name of the opposing city/state on the bottle. Yum! Then we stick everything on YouTube! Simple, but lots of fun!

Go Cards!!!

15. By Gage Boz on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

Tradition— “the jersey” its all about which jersey your feeling on tat particular game-day.. my options include ” white-11, red-90, white-24, and black tillman… yes black tillman… i like to be one of the fist in the building..and watch my boys warm up

16. By This Guy on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

Like Scharf, I too start on Saturday. Watch what NFL Network predicts and then laugh on how wrong they usually are about the Cardinals. Sunday I tevo the 11am games due to church but best believe that I throw in a prayer for the Cards. Come home and blast the stereo system and the plasma TV and thank god that Football was made!

17. By Richard S. on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

I went to a Cardinal game years ago in St. Louis when they were the SL Cardinals. I bought my tickets 5 minutes before the game and was told the only seats left were endzone upper and lower deck. Then she gave me the ticket and I found my seat in the 10th row on the 50 yard line. I was thinking the people that think they have 50 yardline seats are sure going to be disappointed.

18. By fighting bird on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

I wrote to you Darren back when the cards played the panthers in Carolina this past tear and told you how we (my wife and myself) were treated by the stadium workers,security,Charlotte Police over two unrully fans that came in around half time.My wife and I live here in Carolina and have purchased row 1 tickets on the Cards side evey year that the Cards come to town .Ive been a Cards fan since 7 years old so I jump at chances to see the Cards play.We wrote the Panthers main office but yet to here anything from them. We were told we should have even been there wearing red ,we should have known we would get treated like that they told us.If there is any way you could look up past post you can read it but weve made a decision never go to Panther stadium again.

19. By Art on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

Most Sundays, I put put my Cards ez-up face the Cardinal towards the street in front of the garage, start the grill and ice the beer. I watch the game in the garage because the wife does notlike football, even though for our first anniversay she bought the tickets and I had a message to her posted on the old jumbotron at Sundevel stadium, 2005, Rams game.

20. By too far away in UK Cards fan on Apr 14, 2011 | Reply

Lucky you to see live games! Here in the UK we get a regular season live NFL game starting 1:30am, finishing 4:30am Monday morning!! Occasionally a Cards game too! So out with Kurt’s shirt, matchsticks to hold my eyes open, several cans of beer, a team roster list & a heap of waffles. On UK Channel 4 tv we get expert analysis (Mike Carlson – college team mate of Bill ‘Hellofachick’) during every commercial break. Better the team plays, more Cards games we get. I applaud all true Cards fans for their enthusiasm during the season & presently while we wait for the draft & some heads to be ‘banged together’ to get a CBA settlement. Well done as ever Darren and a special plaudit for Fitz – the true professional and a great role model. Get the whole team together, Fitz. ALL IN. 2010 will be BETTER.

21. By Havasu Tom on Apr 14, 2011 | Reply

Hi Darren,
    Tradition at my home in Lake Havasu starts with the cardinal banner hanging vertical on the front of the garage for all to see when the sun comes up. Since I had to retire the Boldin jersey, The Docket 90 jersey is on for the day. I go have coffee with my buddies at the local donut shop. My wife fixes our traditional avacado dip with hand made chips from the local Mexican food shop.
    It’s a long wait if its is Sunday night game. The grill goes on about an our before game time. The T.V. starts at 9am with the Fox pre-game show. What we grill is up to the wife. what ever she preps and I grill is on a spread around the coffee table by game time. With my son working in Colorado and my daughter attend N.A.U., and yes there wearing cardinal jerseys, we text, facebook and call almost all game long talking about nearly every play.
    The day ends with lower of the cardinal banner and something new to talk about at the donut shop on Monday.

22. By Joe Holst on Apr 14, 2011 | Reply

I don’t let anyone say anything during Cardinal games on TV, Oh that was a great play by Cardinals, next play is fumble or interception or something bad by the Cards every tiime.

23. By Big Red on Apr 14, 2011 | Reply

First of all our game day starts on Saturday, the reason is we live 400 miles from phoenix. So, we leave our town like around 8:00 in the morning. First I put my Two CARDINAL FLAGS on my car and go across town waving it to all those idiot cowwgirl fans and then we’re off to AZ. We get there like 3:OO IN the afternoon. Go shopping at the AZmills have a couple of brews, go to the motel have some more brews, then we hit the sack and ready for the next day (game time). TO BE CONTINUED…….

24. By Jeff Gollin on Apr 15, 2011 | Reply

Well…there is that hat thing.

If I wear a particular Cardinal bb hat and we lose, the hat is given a “time out.” and exiled to a remote part of my closet. (I have plenty of replacement Cardinal hats to draw from).

25. By Jwit on Apr 16, 2011 | Reply

Traditions

Every game I have to wear my cardinals hat (to the back), my #32 Edgerrin James jersey (My name is James so yeah it’s tailored made for me) and my Cardinal pajamas… I wear this outfit when I go to the store to buy BBQ needs and no matter the weather / temp we BBQ every sunday game… Non sunday games = same attire and confinement in the football observation room (aka living room).

My friends and I used to take tequila shots for every sack we made during a game.. Let’s say we had a sober year.. Either way I love the Cardinals and will support them while they re-organize and grow no matter how painful that transition may be. GO CARDS!!!