In the same boat

Posted by Darren Urban on April 14, 2011 – 3:59 pm

New defensive coordinator Ray Horton — about whom I have written a profile — arrived at an awkward time, which he had noted when he was hired. The potential work stoppage was coming, it arrived, and he obviously didn’t get a chance to install anything. Horton, however, shows no nervousness given the situation.

“It’s an unknown but I was telling our coaches (recently) we are ahead of schedule,” Horton said. “I planned for this, I anticipated it. I am ready for it. If it changes, we will change with it.”

In the end it doesn’t make sense to worry about what can’t be done given the current lockout. Horton continues to plow ahead, always with an eye for that point when the players do come back.

“The saving grace for me?” Horton said. “In our division, the Seattle Seahawks have a new offensive coordinator, the St. Louis Rams have a new offensive coordinator and the San Francisco 49ers have a new offensive coordinator. We are equal. It will come down to who is ahead of the curve.”

Tags: , , ,

22 Responses to “In the same boat”

1. By Brian R. on Apr 14, 2011 | Reply

I hope out of some miracle that the Arizona Cardinals defense will be top 5…

2. By Gang6230 on Apr 14, 2011 | Reply

i like that guys mentallity go Cards!!

3. By Pheenic Skii on Apr 14, 2011 | Reply

Sounds like the attitude a great DC would have to me.

4. By Jesse Robles on Apr 14, 2011 | Reply

” We are equal. It will come down to who is ahead of the curve.”
    I like Ray Horton, I hope he turns our defense around. I have more faith in him, than I did our last 2 D-Coordinators, and he hasn’t coached a down yet. Bill Davis and Clancy Pandergast never did anything special in my opinion. We need this draft badly, trade all of next season picks for Andrew Luck next year, LOL.

5. By Jwit on Apr 14, 2011 | Reply

I, for one, am impressed with Horton’s philosophy… His attitude towards being prepared is a breath of fresh air

6. By AndyStandsUp on Apr 14, 2011 | Reply

As I’ve stated before; as far as I know, assistant coach and player under Horton – Deshea Townsend- has not officially retired. This makes him a player-coach much like Mike Ditka and Bill Russell. He COULD pragmatically give or instruct Ray’s ideals without theoretically breaking the league’s rule about communication.
    However, would the team risk the situation?
    Probably not.

7. By mrfreemanaz on Apr 14, 2011 | Reply

Personally, i like the idea of a draft before free agency, you get a chance to truly fill those need positions first with youth and potential, then go out and fill out the depth with veteran knowledge. Arizona is in a good position in the draft, * picks, and if we dont worry about a QB till the 4th round you can really start building pieces for a future QB in the next two years. (Skelton). If von miller is not available or the cards, I will be astonished if P. Peterson passes them. I feel like apart from QB, OL, TE, and LB, safety is a glaring need that is ponly geting older, and peterson can really fill two positions with one pick, true value, then go LB second, OL third. ( still i see arizona using the fourth or fifth on a RB only cause glaring talents will still be available there, with hightower in a final year, wright getting older, and Wells starting to become a dissappointment, he runs straight up and injury issues .

8. By drummer-1 on Apr 14, 2011 | Reply

The 49ers also have a new head coach, so i think the hole division is starting even steven….GO CARDS…

9. By Kurt on Apr 14, 2011 | Reply

Horton, is already growing on me, al least he talks the talk.

10. By Rodgerscromartie17 on Apr 14, 2011 | Reply

Haha maybe the Cards should give Lienart a second chance and another 50 mil

11. By Phoenixraven1 on Apr 14, 2011 | Reply

Can’t wait to see this guy work! GET HIM A PASS RUSHER!!

12. By toddCARDS on Apr 15, 2011 | Reply

Coach Horton!! Don’t cut your hair!! in the hair lies power and super human abilities! ha ha great story darren on our new D.C.

13. By toddCARDS on Apr 15, 2011 | Reply

somethin about Coach Horton just fires me up…i’ve never been actually jacked (in a good way) about a new D.C. comin to AZ but this guy’s got me psyched. go CARDS!

14. By Ditship on Apr 15, 2011 | Reply

I’m dirnking the koolaid already and it’s tasting good..

I like Horton and I like his atitude.

I really REALLY hope we don’t draft a QB in the first round. It’s really starting to look slim on Miller being there at pick 5 so I think either Peterson or perhaps Quinn..

If we do go QB then so be it.. I won’t be pissed.. I just really want that to be addressed with a Vet (but obviously we don’t know where that’s going either).

15. By RelayTV on Apr 15, 2011 | Reply

Finally, an AZ coach that seems to be proactive instead of reactive.

And every other person on the Cards staff may be the same way, but I’ve never heard them proclaim it like this.

Even if it’s just talk…

It’s good to hear.

Go Cards!

16. By Ty on Apr 15, 2011 | Reply

Darren, why are all of the other websites saying that the cards are so high on gabbert now? Like it’s gonna be a sure thing and now are even talking about the cards trading up for him now?

17. By Darren Urban on Apr 15, 2011 | Reply

Ty –

RE: Gabbert

The Cards need a quarterback and he’d be the one to take at 5 (Newton I believe will be gone by 5 and Gabbert might too). That’s why.

18. By lets talk cardinals on Apr 15, 2011 | Reply

The Eagles have shown that second chances should be giving, pointing that out, I believe the Cardinals will be better suited with Vince Young & even J Russel why not. They will have a very good offense here in Az with the option to run (Young) & we can address many needs via Draft. Your thoughts?

19. By Darren Urban on Apr 15, 2011 | Reply

LetsTalk –

RE: VY

Young has had too many issues with being unable to deal with setbacks/failure for him to get a chance here.

20. By brad oneill on Apr 16, 2011 | Reply

lets talk cardinals- I have been on the lets get j russel bandwagon for quite a while but i just read an article that said his life coach quit because Jamarcus wasn’t willing to put in any effort at all. I think the purple drank has ended that mans career as much as I hate to say it sometimes second chances aren’t warranted.

21. By firemagoo on Apr 17, 2011 | Reply

VY and Russell? Not even a chance! Take Miller if he’s there, but unfortunately looking unlikely. I would think we have a choice between Peterson, green, and gabbert. Any idea what Horton and whiz think of Toler? Maybe draft Peterson and trade to Dallas or someone that really needs corner? Personally I would like to see Orton or Palmer picked up in trade.

22. By cards62 on Apr 18, 2011 | Reply

firemagoo You need at least 3 very good corners in this league and 4 would not hurt so I hope we draft Peterson and keep Toler. Michael Adams as your # 3 corner is not going to get it done. If we draft Von Miller I am also okay with that pick.

Orton or Palmer would be fine with me or Bulger and I would also be happy if we had Vince Young. The only QB worth taking and there is definitely a risk at # 5 would be Cam Newton. I would not take Cam but why not take the original Cam, Vince Young for no draft picks and have him compete with Skelton and an Orton or Palmer or Bulger. QBs get hurt and especially with our OL so why not have 2 veterans on our roster. I think if you are a veteran QB and wish an opportunity to be a starter why not sign with the Cardinals? Our QB job is wide open.

Thanks and Go Cards