• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

The other side of the mocks

Posted by Darren Urban on April 21, 2011 – 3:46 pm

Even the Cardinals mock draft.

It comes at the tail end of their draft meetings, after they set their top 120 board. They’ll go through as many scenarios as they can to try and guesstimate what will happen (although in the end, it’s impossible to really know; as coach Ken Whisenhunt said Thursday, “the only time you really know is when (a team) makes that pick.”

“We go through a mock draft exercise every year and I think that it is a good exercise,” general manager Rod Graves said. “It is not totally worthless.”

As for the dozens of other mocks floating out there, the ones that all have an opinion about what player is going to go where and why, the Cards look at them too — with a different perspective.

“It is always interesting,” Whisenhunt said. “Listen, there is nothing wrong with information. There are enough people that don’t agree with what we do, or the calls that I make, so it is my chance to look at something you guys do and disagree with you. ‘God, that wasn’t a very good pick.’ Although I just don’t have the forum to put it out there that you do. So yeah, it’s interesting. I do (look at them). It is kind of a guilty pleasure for me to go and look at what different guys put for their picks or their analysis of the draft.”

Tags: , , ,

83 Responses to “The other side of the mocks”

1. By Neil on Apr 21, 2011 | Reply

Who would you like to see us pick up? Don’t tell me no one I’m sure you do have an opinion! Lol

2. By Darren Urban on Apr 21, 2011 | Reply

Neil –

RE: My opinion

I don’t pretend to know who is the best guy. Personally I am shaky with the QBs, but not everyone is. I tend to be more conservative. I like the idea of a pass rusher, especially since so many think Peterson turns into a safety. But really, that’s just my opinion.

3. By daniel corrales on Apr 21, 2011 | Reply

Hey darren -

Do you think the cardinals should just stick with John skelton && use the 5th pick overall pick on (PP , or Robert Quin) since Von miller might go to the bills ? Or do you think we should go for a Qb like christain ponder or Colin Kaepernick in the 2nd Rd , ?

4. By cardsfan on Apr 21, 2011 | Reply

If Miller is gone do you think the Cards go for Peterson, even though many think he’ll turn into a safety?

5. By Gaumni on Apr 21, 2011 | Reply

Darren, I think you made the right choice in choosing journalism as a career, because espianage certainly wouldn’t have worked too well for you. How can you know so little when you have everything happening in front of you? Didn’t you ever aspire to be James Bond growing up?

Kidding…thanks for all the hard work.

6. By drummer-1 on Apr 21, 2011 | Reply

Darrren, thanks for all your good work..

I’m not to keen on any of the QBs in this years draft, i too would like them to go defense in the first 2 rds, and pick up a O-Linemen in the later rds.. i hope they can get bulger. build the D this year and O Next year..you have to start somewhere, why not the D..

7. By carlo7000 on Apr 21, 2011 | Reply

darren
    the coach said robert quinn is a project as a outside linabacker in3-4 defense and he clearly said he will draft an impact player..but who is an impact player if peterson and miller are not available for the fifth pick.i see just 2 player be impact player julius jones and aj green

8. By Joe Holst on Apr 21, 2011 | Reply

Give Darnell Dockett some help on the line first, then a RB to challenge Wells and Hightower, then OLB, then ILB, then ILB again to be sure, then end with O Line man with last 3 picks and 1 will pan out.

9. By Peter in Canada on Apr 21, 2011 | Reply

I understand that Graves and Whiz don’t want to tell the world about who they like or don’t like. It’s my feeling that the Cards should not draft a QB for two reasons
    1. No QB has the credentials of a Stafford or Bradford
    2. Drafting a QB would hamper Skelton’s development and they drafted Skelton as a QB of the future. Putting Hall ahead of him on the depth chart last year was a mistake.
    A better move would be to pick up a free agent thus giving Skelton another year or two and if he doesn’t work out draft a QB in a later year.
    This year they should draft into another position of need.

10. By Darren Urban on Apr 21, 2011 | Reply

Daniel –

RE: QB choices

I think you have to measure what you think Skelton can be and where he is and whether it’s an upgrade to take someone. No reason to draft a guy unless you think he’ll be better.

11. By Darren Urban on Apr 21, 2011 | Reply

cardsfan –

RE: Peterson

I just don’t know. A lot of people like Peterson and think he can be a star. Does it matter if he is one at safety? We will see.

12. By NJAzCardsFan on Apr 21, 2011 | Reply

I hope the Cards take Quinn for the 3-4 defense and pick up a FA QB later….

Darren what are the chances of the Cards trading down if Green, Miller, Quinn and Peterson are gone by the 5th pick?

I wonder if anyone has ever gone to back to assess all of the mock drafts to see how accuarate they were,
    especially those of Todd McShay and Mel Kiper.

13. By Darren Urban on Apr 21, 2011 | Reply

carlo –

RE: Impact player

I think you make a fair point.

14. By Chris Lewis on Apr 21, 2011 | Reply

Darren, once this lockout mess gets resolved, do you know about how much money we have to play with for FAs? Also, who are our FAs to be that we still might sign for next year and beyond?

15. By Cards Fan 4 Life on Apr 21, 2011 | Reply

I think the Cardinals should trade down if Von Miller and Blaine aren’t available and maybe get Pouncey and an extra 2nd or 3rd pick

16. By Peter in Canada on Apr 21, 2011 | Reply

Darren – re Peterson. I think it does matter. If he can not make it as a corner will he beat out the incumbent safeties or will he be a nickel back until one of the existing safeties is moved. A nickel back is not an impact player and I think that #5 should be an impact player.

17. By Mario on Apr 21, 2011 | Reply

I will be upset if we draft Blaine Gabbert. What will having 3 very young and inexperienced QB’s on the team solve? Whiz likes to develop his rookies so obviously we would have to drop either Skelton or Hall and pick up a veteran while we get no immediate impact from our top pick.
    Von Miller or Patrick Peterson can step in this season and provide help on the Defensive side of the ball which we desperately need about midway through the season or however long it takes.

18. By Mark in Chandler on Apr 21, 2011 | Reply

do you know if Robert Quinn has been in or if he has met with the coaches at his pro day? I know Whiz was at his pro day. Whiz mentioend that they had met with all of the players that they think will be there when they pick so I am trying to figure out if Quinn is on that list.

19. By daniel corrales on Apr 21, 2011 | Reply

I mean skelton is 2-2 as starter , I’m justt curious what he can do with a 16 game season , I mean everybody is crazy about Sam bradford && he was 7-9 as starter , he didn’t even have a winning season , so I’m Sold on John skelton , ithink we should Fix our O-Line so he can have more time to make plays , && our running game can start progessing ,

&& as for Bulger , kolb or anybody else in free agency , I doubt they will make any difference , I mean we should fix our oline && see what john skelton can do ,

20. By bluepitt on Apr 21, 2011 | Reply

“There are enough people that don’t agree with what we do, or the calls that I make, so it is my chance to look at something you guys do and disagree with you. ‘God, that wasn’t a very good pick.’ Although I just don’t have the forum to put it out there that you do. So yeah, it’s interesting. I do (look at them).”
    hahaha your welcome KEN..LOL
    I dont dislike you as a person, heck we can have a brew or.. well none I dont drink, a soda pop or sumptn.. I just dont like your NFL side as of late!!!!!!

Do the Cards have a top mock? If so it would be interesting to see it after the draft….Just for Giggles. I promick I wont atack it..lol

21. By Darren Urban on Apr 21, 2011 | Reply

NJAz –

RE: Trading down/Quinn

Trading down will be an option as long as someone wants to trade up. As far as Quinn goes, we will see. His ability in a 3-4 defense is a guess since he’s never done it.

22. By Darren Urban on Apr 21, 2011 | Reply

Chris Lewis –

RE: Free agency

Until we know what the free agency rules and salary cap rules will or won’t be, those are impossible questions to answer.

23. By Darren Urban on Apr 21, 2011 | Reply

Mark in –

RE: Quinn

I am sure they have talked to him.

24. By Darren Urban on Apr 21, 2011 | Reply

bluepitt –

RE: Cards mock

I believe they do a series of mocks, in an effort to guesstimate how the picks will go and, if they go that way, how the Cards will decide to make their pick.

25. By Ben on Apr 21, 2011 | Reply

Been saying it all off season:

QUINN
    !!!!
    !!
    !

26. By DirtybirD on Apr 21, 2011 | Reply

If Miller, Peterson and Gabbert are gone, I hope the Cardinals could work a deal with New England. The Cardinals 5th pick for New England’s 17th and 28th sounds good to me. I think New England would love to get their hands on AJ Green or Julio Jones at #5. They don’t want Randy Moss back. That would give the Cardinals 2 1st RD picks and a lot of options. What do you think Darren, a possible scenario, or just a dream?

27. By Papi1960R on Apr 21, 2011 | Reply

Darren, I just dont think Von Miller will be there at #5. He has performed amazingly well against college tackles, Tight ends and blocking backs. Every one of those he faces in the futre will be better than what he has faced. He weighed 241 at the combine, after a 12 week program specificly to gain weight, without football, contact, injuries, practice or travel. He played almost his entire college career at 225. Justin Houston has dropped to 5,6,7,8 DE/OLB on most boards. 3 years as a all-SEC OLB at over 260. was 6.375 and 271 at the combine, and only half a tick slower than Miller. Miller’s type of body generally gives3-4 years of NFL Service, Houston’s 7-9 years. Houston looks alot like that Steeler-prototype LB who to a 100yd TD against us in the Superbowl. He will be there at #37.

28. By Darren Urban on Apr 22, 2011 | Reply

DirtybirD –

RE: Trade with NE

Dream. The Pats don’t traded up, they trade back. As I said before, I think they pick at No. 17, trade 28 to someone who wants a QB and gets extra picks.

29. By Louisville Card on Apr 22, 2011 | Reply

I’m not sure why you wouldn’t jump on Peterson all that much faster because he’s going to turn into a safety. Wilson isnt getting any better and if we draft Peterson you get Adub’s heir and most likely a Ed Reed or Polamalu type player. Which if you look at all the top teams they always have a playmaking safety. A la the ravens, steelers, packers, even the colts and patriots had a pro bowl safety when they won their superbowl’s.

Picking Peterson also would keep him from going to San Fran. I would hate to have to play Peterson for the next 12 years but givIng them Gabbert doesn’t really strike that much fear. Especially if we have Peterson and cromartie to lock down our secondary for years to come.

30. By D on Apr 22, 2011 | Reply

God Bless Pat Tillman!!!!!!

31. By Rick on Apr 22, 2011 | Reply

Okay, I know no one probably agrees with me but why not take A.J. Green. He and Fitz would be very attractive for a QB to come here (although I agree with Daniel Corrales and should give Skelton a shot) and would light it up on the football field and would probably help the running game for Hightower and Beanie. It seems like we have enough receivers to make a trade for a veteran pass rusher, Horton himself said there is a reason that rookies do not play in their first year because the defensive system is very complicated; so Miller may not even be on the field. Just saying.

32. By Bill L on Apr 22, 2011 | Reply

Just to give Whiz a laugh…..he has done so much for me, in the same way;

1. Carolina/NEWTON…..I don’t understand it. He has never run an O anything like the NFL(see asking him to call a play). He has never done much of pre-reading a D. He has never done much of dynamically reading a D. He is not what would be classified as a very accurate passer. He doesn’t see wide open receivers. He has never had to execute drop back footwork. But, people do stupid things. And with Clausen and Newton, they will have a very good shot at Luck.

2. Denver/DAREUS….Major building block of a dominant D line. He can play anywhere on the line, stuff the run and rush the passer. Probably just a notch below Suh, but more versitile.

3.Bills/MILLER…..Ideal OLB/Pass Rusher for a 3-4 defense. Could be as good rushing the passer as Matthews and more versitile…..can drop into coverage much better when asked.

4. Cinn/GREEN…..It is probably too early for someone to move up for Gabbert…slightly still too expensive for a QB rated between Flacco and Stafford(Big Gap). Green is a receiver LT Andre Johnson, but comparable to Calvin and Fitz(different, but comparable). If Palmer returns, he has a receiver that just might be where he is supposed to be. If not, Cinn could be in the running for the Luck sweepstakes after taking a year off from an NFL QB, ala Ariz this year(funny!! eh, Whiz?)

5. Cards/PETERSON or Texans/Gabbert….Cards will take Peterson if they can’t get out. He’d be good on Billboards and Program covers. Gabbert fits the Texans and a 1 & 3 may be enough. For a 3(which they could recoup for VY) do they gamble a full year. I think they should make the trade…….will they?

6.Clev/JONES….best WC receiver in the draft. Bigger, Stronger, Faster than Green. Work on his route running and he probably would net out better than or atleast equal to Green…..yet noticeably better in the WC.

7. SanFran/QUINN…..Little film, one year and still out a year early. But, appears to be almost an ideal 4-3 defensive end. If he didn’t peak very early, could develop into an all-pro. As is, with what he has already demonstrated, a worthy selection at 7. Peterson could be a choice, if he is available, but pass rusher trumps corner where there is a need for both. Anyway, isn’t Nnamdi Asomugh a FA(hecks it’s not my money)……..Quinn and a receiver in the draft and Nnamdi and Matt in FA……tough team…..if Kubiak is a lot closer to correct than Whiz(Funny, again?).

well, that’s enough laughs.

33. By Bill L on Apr 22, 2011 | Reply

My MISTAKES, so far…..1. Ommitted GRUDENS name in 1……..at 5 it should be TENN NOT the TEXANS

34. By bluepitt on Apr 22, 2011 | Reply

@drummer-1
    All screwing around aside, we will leave that in the other blog.
    I do have a question for you and all the other Bulger fans out there.
    Can some one please show me why he is such a good QB for the Cards?
    I have looked up his stats and like Anderson he had a great year in 06-07
    But the rest is sketchy at best.
    He had great yards in 30-04-05 but his TD to Int’s are scary 43TD-36INT
    (in one year he had 22td’s to bad he had 22 int’s as well)
    Since 07 he has had more INT’s than TD’s. (34int’s to 27td’s)
    We can say it was his line but our Line is no better.
    Since 07 his rating is 70.8 and his %57.4
    He has had some great stats when the greatest show players were being fazed out, but with a team similar to last years Cards team, his #’s are just above Anderson’s and he only finished 1 full season of play in his career.
    Im not trying to be a jerk I just need some help seeing it.
    Sounds to me like we are going to get a better Anderson with Marc.

35. By Cards1Fan on Apr 22, 2011 | Reply

The Cardinals will take Von Miller or Patrick Peterson with the #5 pick.Then possibly get Andy Dalton or Christian Ponder in the 2nd round.

36. By Mike on Apr 22, 2011 | Reply

Is everyone just ignoring that Cam Newton had what 20 rushing TDs and 30 passing TDs last year. Was he doing all this in a pushover conference? Didn’t he lead his conference in rushing last year? This guy is the best talent in the draft. To pass on him if he’s available is foolish. I don’t care what kind of offense they used for him in college. Build your offense around him. Passing on this guy would be like passing on Michael Jordan in the draft. Mark my words.

37. By CMacyn on Apr 22, 2011 | Reply

Ok, i just looked up Justin Houston “thanks to Papi1960R” and he sure is explosive. It seems like he is slipping through the cracks and is viewed as the second best OLB in my eyes. If Miller is gone do you see the cardinals just going to CB. Miller/houston, washington, and schofield would be a pretty explosive LB core.

38. By Michael M on Apr 22, 2011 | Reply

IMO- The Cardinals top needs are QB, OL, LB, CB, DL, TE

We have 3 out of the first 70 picks

I see the top 5 folding out like this

Carolina- Cam Newton, taking the risk
    Denver- Patrick Peterson, help out Champ
    Buffalo- Von Miller, only if Newton is gone
    Cincinatti- AJ Green, draft a qb 2nd rd
    Arizona- ???????

I cant decide on what we should do

My two options are:

Draft QB- Blaine Gabbert, gives Larry someone to throw him the ball, he looks like he could be
    a franchise QB

OR…

Trade Down- possibly St. Louis, get the 14th pick and the 47th

I love the idea of the Patriots, the 5th for 17th and 28th

If St. Louis, 14th Aldon Smith, 38th Kevin Ruldolph, 47th Brandon Harris

I like Aldon Smith over Robert Quinn, Ruldolph would fill our TE need, and Harris could be an addition to our secondary

If Patriots, 17th The Pouncey twin, 28th Justin Houston or trade down
    if Houston is not there and get a 2nd and a 3rd, then draft OL and LB, then CB

Trading down fills our needs more

We could adress the TE positon by drafting Lance Kendricks from Wisconsin, pretty good steal in my mine

and also RB, Mikell Leshoure looks really good and it is time for Beanie and Hightower to prove themselves more, a three back system, maybe we could pull a Giants and have the
    “Earth, Wind, Fire trio’

39. By John the draft guy on Apr 22, 2011 | Reply

Lets say the draft takes a turn like this
    1. Darues
    2. Peterson
    3. Miller
    4. Green

I’m sure you would agree its possible. So, lets say we want to trade down, who is the most likely parner and how far do you see us going down?
    Teams needing QB’s
    niners
    Titans
    Skins
    Vikes
    Dolphins

Something to consider, I see Dallas dealing their spot at 9, Plus, niners could be looking at Quinn for OLB. Cleveland could like Quinn at DE at 6. I guess what I’m saying is, do you take a risk of trading down or stay pat in this situation risking losing out on a targeted pick (not saying cards have Quinn targeted) ? I could see us dropping to 15 with the Dolphins, then trading down again. Lots to speculate about but your thoughts?

To Rick,
    I dont think you are crazy about AJ Green. Pairing him with Fitz would be tough on other Defenses. But with Fitz set to make 15 mil a season (when his deal finally gets done), that would be a lot invested in WR’s.
    As for Miller, he doesn’t need to grasp the playbook by week one. Porter starts and Miller could come in in passing situations till he eventually takes over. Nobody comes off the corner like him.

40. By CardsFan on Apr 22, 2011 | Reply

Rick, having Fitz here should be enough to make it attractive for a QB, and Breaston isn’t under contract. That leaves Roberts and Doucet as trade-bait for a veteran pass rusher – teams don’t give those up, and even if they did, I’m not sure that those two would get us much and we’d have absolutely no depth at WR after that.

I’m not completely against Green, especially since we may lose Breaston, but not for any reasons you mention.

41. By cactus jeff on Apr 22, 2011 | Reply

Rick
    You are right on! Furthermore, trade down with cowboys (they want Peterson) and get Julio Jones. Then with the first pick in the second round (from Dallas) get a Tackle and with the Cards 2nd round pick get TE or G. Bring in Hassleback or McNabb and the Cards win the west. Peterson and Von Miller could not come even close to making such an impact.

Hard to lure FA QB without an OL and only one weapon, fitz.

42. By cardsalltheway on Apr 22, 2011 | Reply

Competition at the QB position? It’s safe to say that our coach has a thing for QB’s. To help him with this I’d like it if he would listen to the recent Rich Eisen podcast, starting at minute 16 through 20th minute…
    Darren, screen it if you want and If you think it would help Ken W. then please suggest he listen, okay?

43. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 22, 2011 | Reply

@Bill L,

I’ve seen a lot worse mocks than what you presented, but one pick (well, not the pick but the reasoning) threw me. You mention that Quinn is an “almost ideal” 4-3 DE but have him going to SF, who would have to convert him to OLB in their 3-4. Not following the reasoning there.

44. By Chuck 1 on Apr 22, 2011 | Reply

I stumbled across an article in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette about Tampa Bay’s last two super drafts.
    Check out this URL to read it:
    If only Graves, Keim (sp?) and Whiz could make selections like the TB organization, the Cards might make the playoffs!!!

45. By Rick on Apr 22, 2011 | Reply

CardsFan,

I hear what you’re saying, and would agree with you that Fitz should be enough for a QB to come here, but not with our OL. Our OL gets QBs killed. I think cactus jeff hit the nail on the head, what QB would want to come here with no OL and only one weapon? Fitz is great, but I believe he benefited by having Q on the other side, and Breaston benefited by having both Q and Fitz on the field. We have a couple of more active WRs on the roster other than Fitz, Breaston, Roberts and Doucet. We also have Max Komar and Stephen Williams. If you ask me that’s too many WRs. Doucet is not that Q-type player they thought he was going to be and he’s hurt all the time and Breaston’s numbers have been declining since 2008. I think everyone is so hell-bent on getting a defensive player with the #5 pick because our defense was horrendous, but in my opinion the DC, Davis, didn’t know what the hell he was doing. Horton will do so much better with our defense this year. Our offense could be dangerous again this year (ahh, 2008 was beautiful…I gotta get that time machine finished) with more weapons and a good QB.

46. By Bill L on Apr 23, 2011 | Reply

@Mike,

Fangio says they are a 3-4……that will do alot of 4-3 things…..that visually look like a 4-3. I think he is saying……we have better/more LBs than we do D-line, if we had a better D-line we might be a 4-3………just my translation. If he wants to be a 3-4 ala Green Bay where Matthews is asked to cover once in a blue moon ala a 4-3 DE…..then Quinn fits in his 3-4/4-3/GB 3-4. I doubt he has near the value in a classical 3-4.

47. By brad oneill on Apr 23, 2011 | Reply

its really freaking cool that aeneas williams is going to announce our draft pick. I love that guy!!!! WHo ever we pick is going to be covered by the greatest corner we ever had!!!! that is a great way to kick off your career!

48. By drummer-1 on Apr 23, 2011 | Reply

@Bluepitt.. The other Blog is no more…

I truley believe that Skelton can be that franchise qb and Bulger would come cheap, the team wouldn’t have to lose any draft picks, they need all they can get. To me Kolb has not proven himself to be worth a 1st rd pick, Carson hasn’t been the same since his injury, and i just don’t trust Newton or Gabbert can get it done, Bulger has has played in this style of offense before..don’t get me wrong i’m not saying they have to get, but i just think he fits best, and think Skelton would beat anyone of those players out for the starting job..

49. By Nick Pepe on Apr 23, 2011 | Reply

@ Daniel Corrales: Kolb is not a free agent and the Eagles will be asking for more than he is worth basaed on his hype. He is from the University of Houston, which has produced more busts at QB this side of USC.

I have stayed away from saying who I think the Cards should draft….but based on the “experts” analysis I would be very happy if Patrick Peterson was the pick.

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member

50. By georgiebird on Apr 23, 2011 | Reply

Newton will go to Carolina and Gabbert to Cincy-without a doubt Cards will take AJ Green. Cards QB will be either McNabb or Palmer with a longer shot being Bulger.
    The Cards will be OK and compete for the NFL West by going defense for the rest of the draft. A FA tight end will help the offense.
    The above scenario is the best hope for the Cards in 2011.

51. By georgiebird on Apr 23, 2011 | Reply

When a Cardinal fan says that a QB like Bulger will come “cheap” to the Cards does he mean that:
    1) other teams have no eye for talent
    2) the Cardinals have a keen eye for talent
    3) Bulger will cut the Cardinals a below market “break”
    4) you get what you pay for

52. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 23, 2011 | Reply

@Bill L,

Interesting, I hadn’t heard he was planning to disrupt their scheme, appreciate the update. Hopefully it blows up in his face.

53. By Doblerfan on Apr 23, 2011 | Reply

@ Bluepitt..

I second ‘The Drummer’. Coach wanted Bulger last year for a reason. He is now fresh and reports say he looked pretty good last year. He also knows our system which is even more important this year due the unsettled labor situation which might not get settled til late summer. Now mind you, he is a bridge until a young QB is ready. Will he be the answer? Can’t be sure of anything as we know the Anderson trial didn’t work. But you have to go with the odds. And if he doesn’t work, Skelton will have one more year of development and there will be argueably two franchise QB’s in next years draft with us owning a probable high pick. Another couple of free agent QB’s I like are the veteran Volek and the young Drew Stanton.

I read an interesting article the other day that showed 50% of QB’s taken in the top 12,I believe since 2000, (not counting the last several years due to it’s just to early to tell) were busts.

I also saw that Philly were getting some calls on QB Mike Kafka. I remember hearing we wanted to draft him but were beaten to the punch and then we drafted Skelton. Any noise on that Darren?

54. By bluepitt on Apr 23, 2011 | Reply

@drummer-1
    I see Skelton a 50-50% shot, I know he has the build, arm & power, but I’m just not convinced he has the brains to be a Franchise QB. Granted he is still very young. Newton is out of the question, I think he will have a 2 year career, Just a gut feeling.
    I do like Gabbert, the dude is smart, but I don’t like the chance he might not be what he seems. I don’t like Kolb, no track record. I do like Smith from SF, And no i’m not crazy, I just have a feeling about his work ethic, He never quit when better QB’s might have. I do like McCrabb but he will cost big $$$$. Palmer has not been the same, but is the best option to win our division while mentoring our young QB’s. He has the $ so he might be willing to make a deal?

55. By Darren Urban on Apr 24, 2011 | Reply

Doblerfan –

RE: Kafka

I would be surprised if any Eagles QB besides Kolb was traded.

56. By Chuck 1 on Apr 24, 2011 | Reply

Re: McNabb
    I don’t think that the Cards should pursue him.
    However, if they did, I don’t agree that he would cost BIG $$$$$$$.
    I think that he would be willing, with his Phoenix connection and desire to prove himself, that he would be willing to sign for less.
    I think that Bulger will be the target for the Cards with a third or later round QB draft.
    As far as drafting a TE, I think that the Cards will follow their pattern and take one in a later round, although they certainly need a better TE. FA TE, maybe.

57. By Chuck 1 on Apr 24, 2011 | Reply

Where is Casey???

MIA

58. By bluepitt on Apr 24, 2011 | Reply

@Doblerfan,
    How does he know our system? he is rested for sure, I don’t know about the odds, They seem to me to have been going down hill for him over the last 3 years. I’m not cool with the Anderson experiment and really not cool with the fact that if he doesn’t work out we have another year to train Skelton. I have been part of the loosing franchise for 20+ years now, (season ticket holder for the last 9yrs) I don’t want to pay to see a team be sub par, while training a QB, When we can pony up the cash and get a McCrabb, Palmer or even take a chance on a Gabbert, At least we can say we tried. I have no problem with trying and failing, I just have a problem taking a QB with sub par #’s and expecting him to be better than sub par with the line we have here in AZ. In order to put a consistent football team on the field you have to be willing to pay for it, It is funny how when we were wining they were paying for the players and now last year we were last or second to last in the pay scale for players in the NFL. Loosing for 20 years is like starving, once you have gone with out for so long you get used to it, but if you have the opportunity to feast (2008 SB) you want to feast every year! It is sad I am starting to think it was a fluke or we were a flash in the pan. every other team that gets in to the playoffs have a consistently good run year to year. Just when I thought we were over the hump, Boom right back to crappy and even crappier than beore.

What do you guys think of that QB from U&R Reno NV. I have had a chance to see him play in person, I think he is a hidden Gem. Steped in and Balled first play!

59. By Christopher on Apr 24, 2011 | Reply

Darren ~

Diehard fan and Season ticket holder here. I’m getting a little Concerned that we should move up and get Miller in the 2nd overall pick. I will be happy with Miller or Peterson but I just got this feeling that Miller could be great. Anyways here is the concern I think it will go Newton, Darues, Miller, Green, Then we can get Peterson which is good as long as we take him. I like Quinn but he scares me, sounds like he’s an outside pass rusher only with a pretty weird and unique medical history. Not worried about his suspension though. I’m worried the cards would pass on peterson for him so that means we need to have miller to fall to us at five it could happen either newton peterson darues green miller or Newton darues gabbert green Miller or even Gabbert Darues Newton Green Miller but it sounds like carolina is taking Newton.

So What do you think about Quinn and the Cards, also any input on his medical history and inside rushing ability would be awesome! Also what do you think the top five will like like in this years draft? thanks!

60. By drummer-1 on Apr 24, 2011 | Reply

@georgiebird…..

I assume you are refairing to me, If you would actually read the comment, you will see that it says, We WOULD NOT HAVE TO GIVE UP ANY DRAFT PICKS FOR HIM.
    You say you get what you pay for… Like Jamarcus Russell, so whats your point? 62 million, and not in the league anymore.. you get what you pay for.

61. By DeVeau on Apr 24, 2011 | Reply

And chance of a trade with Tampa this year, based on this headline?

“Report: Buccaneers Expected to Release CB Aqib Talib Once Lockout Ends”

Our #5 to them so they can take Peterson. We get their #20 and their #51 this year. We would also require their 2nd next year. Then we can use the #20 on Justin Houston for OLB. Schofield is 240#, and Houston would be the 255# guy. Our #36 could be Wilson from Illinois at MLB for our thumper, and the extra pick at #51 to pick up our first OG. Maybe Cannon frCU or Ijalana from Villanova.

Thoughts?

62. By Darren Urban on Apr 24, 2011 | Reply

Christopher –

RE: Quinn/top five

I will blog/mock about the top five later this week (maybe top 10). As for Quinn, I don’t know. It seems like he is the second-best pass rusher available. Can he translate to a 3-4 OLB? That’s a big question. And if you get Quinn, he’s an outside guy. His medical history shouldn’t be to big an issue. I know the brain tumor is there but benign. A bigger question of not playing all last year (with a suspension) and moving to linebacker.

I don’t see the Cards trading up.

63. By Darren Urban on Apr 24, 2011 | Reply

DeVeau –

RE: Talib

You do realize the reason the Bucs would dump Talib isn’t because he can’t play, but because he’s a bad guy, right? Why would you want that?

64. By DeVeau on Apr 24, 2011 | Reply

I see we have a communication problem, my fault. I’m not advocating a trade for Talib, I’m advocating trading our #1 for their #1, #2, an #2 next year. Peterson is a great dangle with Talib being a screw up but a top level talent. We get a few more draft picks, and they get a replacement for their lockdown corner they just dumped.

I don’t want Talib in any way.

DeVeau

65. By Darren Urban on Apr 24, 2011 | Reply

DeVeau –

RE: Bucs trade

Ahh, got it. If I’m the Cards, I do that in a second. I don’t know why the Bucs would. They have been building a team with a couple of great drafts and I think they would be better served stockpiling young players than go for a home run with Peterson.

66. By cardsalltheway on Apr 24, 2011 | Reply

Nick Pepe,
    “I also dont think the OL is a bad as everyone is saying. They just need to be signed, healthy, and ready to play ball. Could it be upgraded, sure….but it is not swiss chesse.”
    The only reasoning behind that thought(“not as bad as everyone says”) would have to be that either Ken W. didn’t call enough running plays for us to determine so, thus he didn’t show confidence in his OL players(not unlike other players in other positions cough cough QB-John Skelton) or Russ Grimm didn’t coach like he should’ve – assuming he can. Which is it?

67. By cardsalltheway on Apr 24, 2011 | Reply

If no QB is taken 1 – 4, and Dareus, Peterson, Miller, and Green are gone before we pick then I say we pick an Offensive lineman. And do it again in round # 2 as well.
    Round # 3 Linebacker. Round # 4 Cornerback. Round # 5 Linebacker. Round # 6 Offensive lineman Round # 7 Linebacker.

Our offensive line is pathetic, but if our scheme is to pass to set up the run then forget it – draft a QB(or three) because we’ll need many like we did last year as they’ll all get smashed, knocked out of the game, injured.

68. By Scott H on Apr 24, 2011 | Reply

Dobler Fan

RE: Bulger

Not to be confrontational, but you say “reports say he looked pretty good last year.” My question is this – He looked “pretty good” doing WHAT??? The man had no playing time to speak of during the regular season. Flacco took them from Week 1 through the end of their season in the playoffs. Again, what did Bulger look good doing??? Standing on the sidelines wearing a baseball cap??? Most QB’s look pretty good doing that. I can’t tell you that Bulger can’t play anymore, but…the thought of a guy who hasn’t played for a few seasons AFTER he spent a few seasons getting the stuffing pounded out of him scares me. The fact that our O-line was lousy last year and there have been no significant up-grades as yet should concern anyone who thinks Bulger can come here and be the guy. Just sayin’…

69. By Doblerfan on Apr 24, 2011 | Reply

@Scott H.

No Problem. I’d love to clarify. I’ve read several reports by those around The Ravens that mentioned QB Bulger looked sharped last year. Your right though, I don’t believe he played a snap in games last year but we must remember there is a long season beyound the 60 minutes we see on Sunday. Your also right in your concern over our OL. I have previously mentioned my concern if we bring him in with no upgrades on the line. It just won’t work w/o better protection. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not nieve, but the situation is very similar to the F/A pickup of a 2nd string, old broken down QB in K. Warner. A QB that has publically endorsed Bulger and the Cards as being a good match.

BTW – I believe Flacco’s upside has peaked and look who is desperate for another WR this year.

70. By bluepitt on Apr 24, 2011 | Reply

@Doblerfan,
    I dont see the conection With Warner and Marc. Marc has not ben in even one postseason game let alone won a SB. I dont see the connection. Bulger would be an upgrade to Anderson because he can hit the side of a barn from 10yrds out, but that is where it ends. I just dont see it. Kurt gave Maning the thumbs up as well, sure he won a SB but that was on his D and a flukey pass, he has not done a thing after that SB.

71. By Nick Pepe on Apr 25, 2011 | Reply

@Cardsalltheway:

I wrote many of times last year that we were not running the ball enough. Couple that with horrible QB play and youth at the same position allows defenses to tee off on your QB. I think the OL has some good talent, but does need to have depth added (youth) to it, and that they be signed, and healthy. I think there are other positions that need to be addressed prior. CB, OLB, QB….for you to call the OL pathetic is not warranted. I recall an article that Darren posted a link to on this blog, that had the OL grading out pretty well. And I am pretty sure they know better than both of us combined. Further, how can you say you a take a certain position in certain rounds when you have absolutely no idea who is going to be there when that round or pick comes up?

Nick Pepe

72. By GHabe on Apr 25, 2011 | Reply

Finally it looks like the experts are starting to move off the Blaine Gabbert to Arizona hype. I don’t know how much more info they need to be convinced that the Cards are not going to draft a QB at 5. But, I have a feeling that Gabbert and Newton will be gone by our pick anyways. Supposedly Newton’s parents have bought a house in NC and Cinci will draft Gabbert because its in their pedigree to draft a bust QB…Palmer aside.
    Odds are, that Peterson and Green will be there for us at number 5, probably the 2 most high impact, electric players in the draft. Von Miller is not a good fit for us and I hope he is picked at 3 by Buffalo. Nice highlights and looking at his game tape against Texas alone, you can see why he is coveted. But, his motor and build are suspect. He currently weighs around 240lbs which is light compared to all of the top sack artists in the league.
    Consider this Demarcus Ware, Clay Matthews, Cam Wake, Lamar Woodley, John Abraham etc are all in the 6 “2 to 6 “4/ 255lbs to 262lbs. Seems to me we should acquire players in that range. The players that fit that mold are Ryan Kerrigan, Martez Wilson, Jabaal Sheard, Brooks Reed, Sam Acho, Justin Houston and Akeem Ayers. These players have good motors and the size we need. Several of these guys should be available for us in the 2nd round.
    Just to note why we got ran over, we are grossly undersized at the linebacker position, Washington is at 230lbs, and everyone else was no bigger than 245lbs. We need to add bulk to the middle of our D and Miller isn’t the answer.
    So who do you choose between Peterson and Green? I think Peterson has the ability to succeed in the league, but I don’t know that he makes the impact we need. He is projected better as a safety which should be taken seriously. He weighs 210 lbs and that is bigger than most safties in the league. The top corners in the league are around 185-195 lbs and the only notable corner his size is Asomagh and are you willing to bank that he is on that level? We don’t need to watch him struggle for a few years before making the switch to safety and I am not down on Toler. He showed good signs of progress and is only going into his 3rd year. I don’t view CB as much of a need.
    So I strongly hope that the Cards grab AJ Green at 5. The kid is the exact mold of Randy Moss without the bazaar attitude. He can create separation and is faster than Fitz, but also willing to go over the middle. This will provide us with a true deep threat and a more dangerous attack. I really like Breaston as a player, but he may be gone and he’s better as a 3WR. Our offense was terrible last year and was a big reason for our poor play on D. Providing more weapons for the TBD QB will raise our QB play and give the starter a better shot at success whether its Skelton or Bulger. The thought is that you may not have a shot at rare prospect like this again, so you absolutley take him. There is no certain answer at QB this season, so lets give the best option more weapons to increase the likelihood for success. And if it doesn’t happen this season, than the pieces are in place for 2012.
    1. AJ Green 2. Houston/ Reed/Sheard/ Wilson/Ayers 3. Acho/Best OL available

73. By Rick on Apr 25, 2011 | Reply

GHabe,

I’m glad I’m not alone when posting the Cards should take Green. You’re absolutely right, Green is the type of prospect you may not have a shot at for a long time. He and Fitz could be quite the duo for us.

74. By cards62 on Apr 25, 2011 | Reply

I would not be upset if we drafted Green, but CB and OLB I think are harder to find. Many draft gurus are saying that Peterson is rated # 1 in the draft and can be a star CB in this league. I agree we do not want him at # 5 if he is a safety, but I think he can star at CB in this league.

Concerning Bulger there is definitely risk, but I like his game and I do think he will make us better and make our line play better. How many times were we at 2nd and 10 instead of 2nd and 2 or 2nd and 1 because a pass on 1st down sailed 10 feet from the receiver. The latter will help our O line play. Anderson was just so gosh darn bad last year it is really hard to judge how bad our line and rest of our offense is, and our play calling because of this last year also makes me question how good or how bad we can be on offense in 2011.

I would love for us to pick up Orton if we do not have to pay too much, second would be Palmer also not paying too much, third Bulger, and I want us to pick up two veterans and I will also be okay if we pick up Vince Young as a free agent.
    I think we need 2 veteran QBs like many teams in the NFL. Let Skelton also compete, but with 3 of these 5 guys on our roster I think we win our division in 2011, and we would pay the 3 QBs less than we were paying Warner and Leinart.

There is risk with Bulger, but remember the Ravens did get rid of their second string QB Troy Smith and promote Bulger and even thou he did not play last year the Ravens, a playoff team thought enough of him to risk their season on him being one play away from being their starting QB for the rest of the 2010 season.

Like I said I do not know how bad our O line is, but I do believe they are bad. Move Levi Brown to guard and we need 2 starting tackles in my opinion.

Go Cards and looking forward to 2011 draft.

75. By bluepitt on Apr 25, 2011 | Reply

@Nick Pepe
    You said”And I really can’t believe that people are still clamorous about McNabb. Enough. He is not coming here. I don’t think there is any interest and there shouldn’t be. That would be taking a step backwards. I said it before and I will say it again: Washed up AND overrated is a bad combination.”

Really??? Mc Crabb a step back from Anderson? Really?
    “Washed up and overrated” was what they said about Warner!!!!!!! HAHAHA
    With a Washed up McCrabb, we would have won the Division last year!! While geting our Rooks some needed teaching! McCrabb could have made D’s Pay for rushing him with his Washed up scrambling!
    Get a life dude, “Enough” of you, we were just talking about him and other senarios! We have been told 100 times by Darren that the Cards have no intrest, If you dont like us talking about him dont read it!

76. By bluepitt on Apr 25, 2011 | Reply

I must have missed the memo that said thar Bulger was better than McNabb.lol

77. By Doblerfan on Apr 26, 2011 | Reply

Memo just in – Bulger will be better than McNabb in AZ!

78. By GHabe on Apr 26, 2011 | Reply

While Bulger may be the best option taking everything into consideration, don’t expect another Warner-like outcome. Bulger never won League MVP’s or Superbowl’s. He didn’t show the desire to be the number 1 last year, that Warner always did, regardless of the situation. Bulger merely provides us with a short term fix that can be accurate and has proven to have some success over his career. With all the right offensive pieces in place he could be successful enough.
    Depending on the strides Skelton makes this offseason he could very well be the starter going into camp. Prototypical size, throws a great ball and stays calm under pressure. You can question his accuracy, but there were a lot of different factors that came into play last season. Check out his Fordham highlights on YouTube. Sure it looks like a highschool tape, but the guy makes big plays.
    Why pay top dollar for Kolb this year? If neither Bulger, Skelton or a rookie are the answer, pick him up next year as a FA if he stays with the Eagles. Should be able to get a better idea of his worth and keep multiple draft picks in 2012. He’s coming from a WC offense and that is not exactly ideal.
    There is no sure fire solution at QB this season, so make sure the supporting cast is in place. Draft AJ Green if available. Somebody scrambling for a number 2WR will probably offer him more than we will be willing to. That leaves Fitz and not much else. Saw some good things out of Roberts, but is there anybody else on the offense that scares you as an opposing D cordinator?

79. By Nick Pepe on Apr 26, 2011 | Reply

What about McNabb’s play last year suggests to you that we would have won our division with him as our QB? He was pathetic

80. By bluepitt on Apr 26, 2011 | Reply

Nick,
    Well lets see, Bulger has not broke over 190yds in three years his average over the last three years is 189.9 A GAME! His QB rating over the last three years is 70.9. His % over the last 3 years is 57.1.. he hasn’t broke over 2,800yds in the last 3 years. I used Marc’s last 3 years to help him out.
    BTW in his last 24 games he has managed 4,189 yards, Just 812 more than McNabb last year in 12 games in Wash.
    Marc’s 3 year TD to INT % 27 TD’s to 34Int’s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    McNabb’s last 2 year Int to TD % 36TD’s to 25INT’s Last year was his worst with a 14TD to 15Int year, but the year before was 22-10!!!!!

McNabb last year with Wash. (12games)
    Rating 77.1
    %58.3
    AVG 259.8 (one of his top 3 avg per game 12 years of playing)
    3,377 yards in 12 games
    He also had a new resheme Coaching, and the Redskins were the most dysfunctional team of all last year!
    I think I have proven my point!
    But we will go with Bulger, because he will come cheap.

81. By Nick Pepe on Apr 26, 2011 | Reply

Bluepitt- stats get coaches fired.

82. By bluepitt on Apr 26, 2011 | Reply

@Doblerfan,
    “Hey Bluepitt how bout this – We sign BOTH veteran QB’s Bulger and McNabb as F/A’s (and I do think we need two vets) and let them fight it out. That would give us months of debate.

Memo just in – Bulger will be better than McNabb in AZ!”

Sounds good to me, Just dontgamble with my season ticket $ on a unproven vet and 2 rook’s. Have a back up plan…lol

This just in- In no way shape or form is Bulger even close to McNabb, well maby his jock!!!!

83. By bluepitt on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

Nick Pepe,
    HAHAHA No they don’t, Ignoring them does! See Anderson.(He was who his stats said he was) Stats are part of the process of evaluation, you have to have them in order to get evaluated! DUH!!!! If you are talking about stats concerning players in collage moving in to the NFL, sure you look at the big picture. But a player with more than a couple years of stats, usually his stats don’t lie!