Draft teaches Grimm East, not West

Posted by Darren Urban on April 27, 2011 – 4:35 pm

When Russ Grimm was drafted in the third round of the 1981 draft, he got a call from the Washington Redskins telling him he was going to be their selection.

“When they said Washington Redskins I thought, ‘OK, Sonny Jurgensen, Billy Kilmer,’ things like this,” Grimm said. “But I always in my mind had pictured that the Redskins were in the state of Washington, not the nation’s capital. So I got my ticket and they said, ‘Washington, D.C.,’ and I said, ‘Ahh, that’s not that far away.’ So it worked out pretty good.”

Grimm was from Pennsylvania. He clearly has a better grasp of the nation’s geography these days.

This and other memories are part of the draft memory video package just posted. And if you missed it yesterday, the boys in the video room also put together a good look at how the Cards put together the top 120 draft board. Soon, we will have a short video roundtable posted between myself, Ron Wolfley, Dave Pasch and Paul Calvisi over the Cards’ top pick tomorrow. (And here it is.)

The draft is almost here.

Tags: , ,

24 Responses to “Draft teaches Grimm East, not West”

1. By cahongisto on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

Darren:

I know coaches and ownership feel fan pressure but I am curious if anyone in the front office has ever made mention of anything that gets mentioned from fans on here? are they pretty aware of how we feel going into the draft or do they just do their own thing and go with what the feel is best?

Second question is more related to your experiences with other sports media outlets and whether you think there is an east coast bias in sports? With two coaches in the NFC West being from the Pac-10 and with St. Louis, Seattle and Arizona all making it to a Super Bowl atleast once in the last decade do you think we get a fair shake? And this question comes from the continued talk on networks like the NFL network and ESPN saying things about how a team like Seattle beat New Orleans last year in the playoffs and it was luck. So I’m just wondering as being the sports writer for sadly one of the most historically mocked sports franchises in America do you think what is said about us is fair?

2. By Darren Urban on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

Cahongisto —

RE: Fans/bias

1) Specifically, no, I don’t think they pay attention to that stuff.
    2) I think everything is done by humans so to think there is always some bias in everything. With TV, the ratings are bigger in the east, so that usually will get a little more run. It doesn’t surprise me.

3. By cahongisto on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

Darren:

Speaking of TV ratings and of course the NFL is a business. Do you think it is a better business idea to win or to have big name players to sell jerseys?

4. By Darren Urban on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

Cahongisto —

RE: Win v Big names

Winning creates big names. Other things create big names too — bigger markets, bigger mouths — but in the end, winning helps everyone.

And when the Cards were/are winning, they get their run. When they lose, they won’t. The difference is teams like the Giants and Redskins will always get ratings even if they struggle. The Cards have to win otherwise no one wants to pay attention.

5. By Jzoully on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

This is way out there but is there a chance that the Cardinals trade down from number 5 to maybe number 17 (New England Patriots) and maybe number 33 which both picks are controlled by New England? Because Akeem Ayers is going to be a stud athlete. Akeem a possibility?

6. By Darren Urban on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

Jzoully —

RE: Ayers

I suppose Ayers is in play, but I do not think the Patriots will trade up.

7. By Javi on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

Darren, if the cards go cam newton, blaine gabbert or von miller and no patrick peterson, the n will they have any interest in the corner from the raiders

8. By Jzoully on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

One last question, would you draft Akeem Ayers if Von Miller is not available with he 5th overall pick?

9. By Darren Urban on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

Javi —

RE: Nnamdi

Is there any team who wouldn’t be interested in him?

Now, would they sign him? Gonna be very, very expensive.

10. By Darren Urban on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

Jzoully —

RE: Ayers 2

Where?

11. By Jzoully on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

would it be appealing to draft Akeem Ayers at the current draft pick that we are at?

12. By Phoenixraven1 on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

Brooks Reed in round two!!! Keep him in AZ!!!!

13. By cahongisto on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

Darren:

I know we all like to hope for the best and think our Cardinals are going to get back to winning the NFC West… but draft history for us is very very poor in the last 20 years and I’m wondering Darren what you think the Cardinals worst draft pick has been?
    I’d also ask you what you think our best has been but in thinking it over… it kind of only is a 2 horse race between Aeneas Williams and Larry Fitzgerald since the Cards arrived in AZ?

14. By AndyStandsUp on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

Just want to give the AzCardinals crew that produces the site’s videos a huge thank you and kudos.
    The “All In” series is first rate and I really appreciated the coaches takes on when they were drafted.
    Thumbs up guys!

15. By Darren Urban on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

Jzoully —

RE: Ayers at 5

Seems much too high.

16. By Darren Urban on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

cahongisto —

RE: Best/worst

Ever I’d have to look. Fitz obviously has been awesome, but Aeneas in the third round is better value.

Worst? Wendell Bryant turned out pretty bad considering his spot.

17. By cactus jeff on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

Tell the cards to take best player available, no more picking for need (see Dan Williams). Also go in the war room and rank Mallet as the best QB in the draft and put Peterson as number 1 overall. Thanks, should be fun.

18. By Michael M on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

We should draft Blaine Gabbert with the fifth pick.

I have noticed alot of big name receivers being thrown out there in trades/fa/etc

I think we should sign one of these receivers and give Gabbert(or Skelton) more targets to throw to

Randy Moss(free agent)

Chad Johnson- he says his time is up

Steve Smith- wants to be traded

Terrel Owens

I think it would be worth it to get another good veteran receiver

Darren, do you think the Cardinals will be interested in one of these receivers?

19. By Darren Urban on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

Michael M —

RE: WRs

Don’t see Moss, Owens or Ochocinco. Not sure Smith fits given his age.

20. By Rodgerscromartie17 on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

if it comes down to it i hope they dont take miller over peterson, we get killed through the air with toler, drc needs somebody on the other side

21. By Doblerfan on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

@Cactus – dude, Dan Williams was ranked around #12 on the big board. We got need and value in the mid 20’s. Lets get him some help in the later rounds.

@ Phoenixraven1 – I could see CB Peterson at #5 and OLB B. Reed at #38.

If Von is gone I’d like to see the trade down to either The Skins at #10 (Gabbert) or Texans at #11 (Peterson). They both are putting the word out they would like to move up. We would pick up some nice picks and still get either Quinn, Aldon Smith, or a top tackle.

22. By Artie on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren,

I think the best case scenario would be Miller some how making it to the number five pick. but I don’t think so. The next best scenario, I think, would be maybe a trade, with Philly for Kolb, to number 5 pick, so Philly can get Peterson. Since trades should be legal now?? However, I think the most likely and still kinda hopeful but would feel needs, is taking Peterson (at least he can return punts.) at number 5, then in the second round maybe move up a slot or two if needed to get Brooks Reed, He’s OLB that can get after the QB. What do you think about those possibilities?

23. By Darren Urban on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

Artie —

RE: Trade tonight

As of 7:30 a.m., trades for players won’t be allowed tonight.

24. By RelayTV on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

I posted some video & pics of the line at Radio City to get draft tickets:

Needless to say, I was the ONLY Cardinals fan there.
    I am so excited for the draft tonight, I can’t wait.

It’s like Christmas in April.