Cardinals take Peterson number one

Posted by Darren Urban on April 28, 2011 – 5:36 pm

There will be much more soon, but the Cardinals got LSU cornerback Patrick Peterson with their first round pick, a player who many thought was the best player available in the draft.

Peterson said he is “shocked” but he is wearing a red tie and red handkerchief, so how shocked can he be?

Knowing coach Ken Whisenhunt, I wouldn’t expect Peterson to be anointed a starter, not with Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and Greg Toler around. But Toler likely will be the long-term nickel guy with Peterson and DRC as eventual starting tandem. Peterson can be a punt returner too, and maybe kickoffs (although I keep the Hyphen there if it’s me).

Tags: , ,

92 Responses to “Cardinals take Peterson number one”

1. By CJ on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

good, get the defense taken care of first, we can take care of the offense in the free agency

2. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

The best possible thing that could have happened to DRC…competition.

3. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

Are you ready DRC???

4. By Chad Anderson on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

Great Pick Good Job Wizzzz

5. By R Robles on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

Ya Baby Welcome to Az Patrick lets win a Super Bowl baby. Well said.

6. By Jcaswellsr on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

Hope he can play QB 2 lol

7. By jwit on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

This one of the best choices the Cards have made in a few years… hands down the best player in the Draft this year… DRC and Peterson can pose a serious problem for opposing offenses. Now mix this with Ray Horton who loves to attack and pass rush… woooooo!!!! I cant wait!

8. By Nick Pepe on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

If he is as good as advertised and DRC stays awake, this could be one the top defensive backfields in the league. This pick was a no-brainer. He will have an immediate impact in either special teams, D-backfield….or both right away. Good start.

9. By cahongisto on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

Darren:

DRC and Double P could you be more excited about a corner tandum? I mean its like taking Deon Sanders and Charles Woodson and putting them in the same secondary! Now just a few linemen and a pass rusher and this will be the best cardinals draft that I can remember… Gotta start the chant while im writing on here BROOKS REED… BROOKS REED… BROOKS REED I want him to drop badly so fingers crossed enjoy the craziness Darren

10. By SeeingRed on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

I’m ecstatic with the pick! Peterson LOOKED shocked too..I dont think it was because he didnt want to be a Card but more because he probably thought he’d be a top 3 pick.

I too noticed the red tie and hanky lol

11. By Nick Pepe on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

Locker before Gabbert? Gruden seems very high on Locker. I thought maybe that Carolina was bluffing and staying low-key. Really amazed they rolled the dice with Cam after picking Clausen in the 2nd last year. How do suppose Clausen is feeling right now!!!

12. By Nick Pepe on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

Atlanta got better but threw a lot out there to get it.

13. By DoblerFan on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

YES! Welcome P2!! Sure would of taken what the Browns got at #6 in their trade w/Falcons. Any word on trade calls/offers we received Darren?

14. By Jesse Robles on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

NASTY SECONDARY!!!!

15. By Lone-Eagle on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren, hope your having fun!!

Well, I am sure I am not the first blogger, but way to go Cards!!!! I was a little concerned the Cardss were going to take Gabbert, but I am definately happy the cooler heads prevailed. I believe the Cards just got the best player in the draft overall, and that our secondary is going to be phenominal, and finally some one to compete with and push DRC to being the CB he was drafted to be!! Peterson, DRC, Rhodes and Wilson as the Rover, this secondary could be exteremly dangerous!! Look forward to the second round!

16. By Peter in Canada on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

He was obviously the best player available and he has super star potential. A conservative pick but a good one I think. I feel he will beat Toler out very soon for the starter spot and Toler will be as good a nickel corner as anyone in the league. I agree Whis is not known for starting rookies but when has he picked this high before?

17. By Frustrated on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

some really good pass rushers are falling. Maybe we can get one!

18. By dave on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

Solid pick. Best overall and it strengthens the team. I think the other teams will regret this QB frenzy,

Nice job cards..

19. By Jeff Gollin on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

I’m glad we didn’t trade down.

Later surprises – Aldon Smith going to Niners instead of Gabbert. Smith was my default sleeper pick if we couldn’t get Miller or Peterson.

Top remaining pass rushers as of #15 figure to be Ayers and Reed. I don’t think we can get either of them unless we trade up. Maybe Houston will be around at #38.

20. By Don't Take Losses on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

Perfect draft for Cards…so far. Bravo. 1st is most important to get right. Think Larry Fitz. This guy may be that good at his position.

21. By drummer-1 on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

No Gabbert for the cardinals.. makes for a good draft..Now lets go get a good OLB….

22. By Matt on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

would love Brooks Reed to be the next pick. pray he falls people

23. By trent on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

are we going to trade him to the eagles for kevin kolb. (please say no)

24. By RelayTV on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

I just left the draft. It was incredible.

I’ll post more tomorrow, but let me just say…

We used to have the best WR duo in the league (Fitz & Boldin) now we are going to have the best CB duo.

I can not wait for the season.

Come on NFL, NFLPA, “Let’s play FOOTBALL!”

25. By TSHIF on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

Darren. I don’t think the pick is what the cards actually wantes. Can you see the cards trading this pick/player to philly for kolb because I know philly loves him

26. By georgiebird on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

Excellent pick- (AJ would have been great too, if available).
    What I like most about Patrick is that he won’t be 21 years old until 7/11/11. He excelled in college not because he was older than the opposition but because he is truly a talent. Best player available is always the way to go. Hopefully this will be the start of a productive draft to make our defense respectable.

27. By Darren Urban on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

TSHIF –

RE: Peterson trade

I would be stunned if there was a trade. He’s not going anywhere.

28. By Darren Urban on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

georgiebird –

RE: Age

Wait, he was born in 1990?

God I’m old.

29. By westdesert97 on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

Get those corners to work well and then put some pressure on the QB. If you can take away the short/midrange passing game you could be someplace. You have to score some points but, a great defense with a servicable offense has worked before. Of course your talking about a rookie corner against some pretty good veteran recievers. We’ll see.

30. By cahongisto on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

Guys Seriously hope for Brooks Reed I’m an Arizona Wildcat season ticker holder and I watched this guy for four years… he will be a stud rushing from that outside backer position and then can I start one more idea in everyones heads… Casey Matthews in round 3 would be another great young linebacker for our backing core and with those two picks I don’t think anyone could doubt this would be the best draft since the cards have been in AZ … yes I really think they can be that productive combined with our guys now

31. By billy bob on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

Glad we got Peterson I was hoping we could get Jake Locker in the second round though

32. By D ryans on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

I hope this means that Andre Roberts never returns a punt for the Cardinals ever again. Got to keep LaRod at kick-off return.

33. By Joanna on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

And he is attractive too! :)

34. By MikeG on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren– Good pick by the Cards!! Too much risk at number 5 for a QB. I don’t think Whiz feels these Qb’s are franchise types. Peterson is good because it gives Horton a necessary piece to improve his defense. Hey with all the throwing in today’s NFL– you need 3 corners, you have teams running 4 wide receiver packages– you must match it. I think this will be a heavy defensive draft for the Cardinal’s.

35. By Nick Pepe on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

@westdesret

I would be concerned about a rookie CB against a vet WR also but..it is not like he has to start from day one and .you are talking about great raw talent that has the aid of Pro Bowl safeties, a speedy CB in DRC, and now depth…with Toler and Adams….et all….this secondary could be damn good. Not, what are going to bring from the edge?? And if you are going to have a rookie CB going against a vet WR, it might as well be the highest rated player in the draft!

@ Relay- I am jealous, but why wouldn’t you stay longer!!!

23rd pick is next ….my guess Andy Reid selects an extra large Roast Beef hoagie from Tony Luke’s !

36. By Grim on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

This was the only decision!!! now if we can get Bulger for a couple years till Skelton grows into the the stud he will be Larry will be happy and now time to get some depth at O-LINE!!! Great job Whizzz!!! Wilson, Rhodes, DRC, Peterson sounds strong! hopefully they can build some chemistry and hope the Bidwells don’t mess it up again(Dansby, Rolle, Boldin)! If you want to win you have to pay!!!!! So pay them if they are worth it!!!

37. By Canadian Red Bird on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

Darren

Unbelievable pick; could arguably be the best player in the draft. Saved myself buying a jersey as I just change the name plate on my old Matt Leinert # 7.Look forward to the second round.

38. By cardsfan007 on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

going with mikeg, that means with DRC Peterson Toler and Adams we will have a solution to every receiver.

39. By MDEATON on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

Whiz knows what he is doing…Just give the man a chance to show that to the Cardinal nation. We do need a QB but not a rookie QB..been there done that and he now lives in texas with alot of cardinal $$$$..Veteran QB ..Vince Young..Donavan or Kolb or possibly Carson Palmer…all will do fine unless Kurt decides to give it one more go..I would take him over them all

40. By Nick Pepe on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

sorry…typo…”now” what are we bringing from the edge…not “not”
    and at Canadian:……throw away the Leinart jersey, I dont think DB’s can wear single digits in the NFL…. helll even if he can throw away the jersey…KARMA!!!!

41. By DoblerFan on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

@Joanna – I like ugly players who hit hard cause they’re mad they’re ugly.

42. By Jeff on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

lets hope for akeem ayers or dequan bowers to fall to us!

43. By D on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

Cards need to get A. Ayers on Friday….great value in 2nd round!!!!!

44. By BigTom on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

We can continue to boost our defense and hope for possibly an OT or two later in the draft, but I’m thinking Andy Dalton should be next on our list.

45. By Justin on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

Bowers would be clutch….the havoc of bowers-campbell on the d-line with peterson and DRC at the corners could give horton some good ideas

46. By Christopher on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

Great Pick! Great Job by Cards Management! NOW ALL WE NEED TO DO IS GET MARTEZ WILSON AND WE ARE SET!!! NUMBER 1 D IN THE LEAGUE ALREADY GOT THE BEST DB’S AND DLINE ONCE WILLIAMS PROGRESSES A LITTLE BIT!

DARREN ~ PLEASE TELL CARDS MANAGEMENT TO LOOK AT MARTEZ WILSON OLB FROM ILLINOIS 6-4 250 4.42 40, HE COULD BE JUST AS GOOD AS MILLER!!!!!!!!!

47. By Christopher on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

WE SHOULD EVEN TRADE UP TO 33 AND GIVE NE A FOURTH ROUNDER IT WILL BE WORTH IT! QUALITY NOT QUANTITY! SO DO YOU THINK THEY MIGHT?

48. By Aztruth on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

love love love love love it!!!! DRC and Peterson can be an amazing tandem for years!!

49. By 949Cardsfan on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

This draft is setting up great for the Cards! We are gonna get a first round quality pass rusher with the second pick. Be it Brooks Reed, Daquan Bowers, or Akeem ayers, with a great shot of Casey Matthews being there in the 3rd. The D should be set for years to come. If Horton is half way decent he shouldn’t have a problem molding all this young talent into a top 5 NFL defense.

50. By TBru on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

Mildly excited, I never thought Peterson woiuld get past Buffalo, and who Expected Miller to go 2. yea looks good, but I am still too down on the NFL right now to care much. It is looking better, but I wish they could sort this all out with out going to court. I just want football in the fall.

51. By Jon L on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

This was an awesome pick now we need to get a pass rusher in the second round. Do you think Ayers will fall to us?

52. By Dre on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

I am so glad the FO didn’t screw that up…Patrick Peterson was the best pick they could have made. Thank you

Now, let us go after Justin Houston in the second…

Houston emerged as one of the most feared pass rushers in the SEC in 2010. He had 67 tackles, 18.5 tackles for loss and finished second in the conference, behind Auburn’s Nick Fairley, with 10 sacks.

He is perfect for us. He has experience in a 3-4 defense and can learn from Porter and Haggen while they are still on the team. I believe the pass rushing issue could be solved for many year to come with Houston and O’Brien Schofield.

53. By bluepitt on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

“Goodell got booed relentlessly. A chant of “Let’s play football” went on for minutes.” That made the draft suck! It really did all you could hear was booooooooooooooo all while I was trying to enjoy the thing and forget the lockout and labor problems for one night! Ill bet most of those players wont forget the boooooo’s that ruined their draft! It was just sick and childish! lets kill the mesanger! lol why did those fans show up and enjoy an event paid by the NFL, and not the players? GlassHouse!

54. By drummer-1 on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

It was a great night, we got PP7, even through i would of love to have gotten Miller.. AND the best of all… I got a call from my tranplant coordinator and my Heart donor’s family want to meet me face to face for the first time….What a great night it turned out to be..Outside linebacker in round 2.. Lets go CARDS

55. By Bryan on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

Any idea what players the Cards are targeting or hoping fall to them in Rounds 2/3?

56. By Pheenic Skii on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

Darren, do you know when Patrick Peterson will get his number? I want to order his gear as soon as possible.

Awesome pick. Even though I wanted Von Miller, this is definitely a great choice. This could possibly be the best pick in the entire 1st Round.

Go Cardinals, and go Patrick Peterson!

57. By Lone-Eagle on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

I have to agree with Mike Jurecki! Take Brooks Reed if he is available!! I have benn watching him for 4 years as a season ticket holder at the UofA. Reed is a beast. He has an uncanny knack of getting to the QB and does damage and always seemed to draw double teams. He has a great work ethic and is extremely intelligent with a very high football IQ. If the Cards pass on him, some team will be very happy they did. Also I have to agree with cahongisto. Grab Casey Matthews inthe 3rd round, we could have a devastating D-line as well as secondary!! Keeping my fingers crossed!! Go Cards!!

58. By Pheenic Skii on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

Bluepitt,

Roger Goodell knew he was going to get booed. Everyone did. If you watch the replays on Youtube or wherever, you can see that he’s smiling, like he knew it was going to happen beforehand. I think that at this point, everyone’s just sick of the lockout, and they were taking out their anger.

Let’s all sit back, enjoy the remaining two days of the Draft, thank God our FO didn’t screw up, and hope that the NFL’s new year starts Monday.

59. By cards4ever on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Has the NFL ever thought about moving the draft to different cities each year? Its become a huge event that could bring revenue and excitment to different cities. Plus, Im getting tired of all the JETS and GIANTS fans already!

60. By Richard on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

GReat that this pick / thread has really got people excited! I am too – and we should get some great talent in R2. I’d go defense again.

61. By kaleb on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

This is my 2nd round priorities for the cardinals based off of who is still available.
    1) Da’quan Bowers DL (Best player available)
    2) Akeem Ayers OLB
    3) Justin Houston LB
    4) Orlando Franklin OL (Need Position)
    5) Brooks Reed DL
    6) Kyle Rudoph TE
    7) Ben Ijalana OL
    8) Andy Dalton QB
    9) Marcus Cannon OL
    10) Colin Kaepernick QB

Most of these guys are immediate impact players im pretty sure the cards go for one of them. Most likely the best one available but im hoping for J. Houston.

62. By Sean on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

I want to see his birth certificate.

63. By Darren Urban on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Bryan –

RE: Round two/three targets

I dont know particular players, but I would guess a pass rusher in round two (Ayers? Reed?) and maybe offensive line in round three. Rudolph is still there as a tight end too.

64. By Darren Urban on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Pheenic –

RE: PP number

I’d guess we will learn soon.

65. By Chris Freeman on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

DArren –
    forst of all good mourning, i have a feeling that Az might go mallett second round if hes there, he fits the Whizenhut M.O. ( Ben, D.A., Skelton, ) or is another position still priority?

66. By CZarr on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

You nailed that pick before most of the mock draft pundits did. Good job Darren. I like the pick. Would have loved to see Von Miller on the edge for us this year, but getting Peterson is going to be a serious boon for our defense as well.

I’m just glad they didn’t go with Gabbert. The guy scares me. I like the kids smarts and his demeanor, but I don’t think I saw him throw a pass over 10 yards all season. Watching him drop back from under center was painful as well.. I’m not sure why all the analysts had us taking him. We all know Wiz hates to start rookies and that’s what drafting a QB that high would imply IMO.

67. By cards62 on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Great first pick for us Cardinals as you need 3 above average corners in this league plus Peterson can return some kicks and especially some punts for us.
    Like others have mentioned I think he also pushes DRC and Toler to be better, but especially DRC. The Lions did the same thing at DT out of Auburn Fiarly to go with Suh. Wow 2 monsters to push each other and thay are set for 8 to 12 years at DL.

Darren Thanks for the Rudolph mention as it would please me greatly if we get him in the second round as he is my choice. Then we can say we drafted the best DB and TE in the same draft. That would be very nice. I do not think we trade up as we are going to get another very good football player with this pick, but please no QB.

Darren did Atlanta talk to us at all about trading down with them? I wonder because they traded with Cleveland right after us and Cleveland was also rumored to want the guy they picked J. Jones WR out of Alabama, If they did can you ask our brass why they did not trade down?

I think Cleveland got a very good deal, Minnesota bad pick, Seattle bad pick, Rams okay pick, and 49ers good pick.

Go Cards

68. By LUKE on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

i really like where our defense is goin.i think the young players will develop (dan williams,daryl washington,etc)and our veterans will have some competition.now if we can get our running game goin,we can relieve some pressure on the qb to carry the team.sounds like what i said last year at this time.haha.lets all hope this year is different.

69. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Nothing personal Darren, but those conference calls with the draft picks are excruciating to listen to. The press guys around the phone usually don’t talk loud enough, clear enough, or slow enough for the player to hear the question – probably because they are on a cell phone which doesn’t help matters either. I don’t know how many times Patrick Peterson had to ask you guys to repeat your questions during his conference call. Listening to the call was about as fluid as riding over boulders with a tricycle. I couldn’t even get through the whole call and had to stop. But I’m pretty sure I know how the conference call with Patrick ended…

AZ Press: “Patrick, who is your agent?”

PP: “What”?

AZ Press: “WHO IS YOUR AGENT?!”

PP: “So and so.”

AZ Press: “Bye Patrick.” (audience then hears a click as the press hangs up draft pick — always seems like an awkward and abrupt way to end these press conferences).

70. By Sackman on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Kaleb

Smart man! Good thinking. But, I’m not sure about Bowers and any QB’s.

71. By John the draft guy on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Not a fan of picking Peterson and not trading down with the Falcons, I posted my reasons on the next Blog.

As for round 2, Bowers is a DE. He doesn’t fit our defense at all.
    Justin Houston is to be rumored to be using steroids.

Akeem Ayers makes the most logic, and I could see Brooks Reed learning to play OLB and making that move.

Rudolph is a stud but when do we throw to our TE’s? Is it because they aren’t good or is it by design? Not sure.

OL makes sense. But this draft is deep.

Mallet has a ton of talent. Makes a ton of sense to grab. He works hard and is very competitive. Can Whiz keep him out of trouble? I think so.

Funny, Big Ben obviously has those same off the field issues. Would you take him?

I think the go Akeem Ayers.

72. By D ryans on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Darren-

RE: DRC’s one way ticket to Philly

Looks to me like DRC would go to Philly for Kolb, not Peterson. What is the probability for such a trade? I hope this doesn’t happen, with 2 or 3 solid corners the Cards could dial up some pretty nasty blitz packages with Adrian Wilson. One hit from Wilson can change the outcome of a season / career, just ask Trent Edwards.

73. By Bryan on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

You think there is any chance they snag Mallet or another QB in round 2 or 3?

They seem to be putting a lot of faith in a Bulger/Skelton combo for the present/future.

74. By John the draft guy on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

BTW, I could see Akeem Ayers being moved inside and playing along side Washington. I believe Horton will use multiple Blitz packages with the ILB’s. Ayers also is very good in coverage.
    Not a 100% sold on him as an edge rusher. But think he is the best value.

As for 3rd round, I like Dontay Moch as strictly a passrusher. Porter will be the starter and bring Moch off the corner with his 4.44 speed on passing downs and groom him for taking over next year.

75. By wyogang on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

I think Peterson will be awesome. Some are concerned about a rookie corner against veteren WRs but practicing against Fitz will give him all the edge he needs.

76. By redbirdnation on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Awesome pick with Patrick Peterson. Being compsred to Primetime is Big Time. I can’t wait to see who we pick up next. Go Cards!

77. By Darren Urban on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Chris Freeman –

RE: Second round

Don’t see a QB there. Pass rusher or O-line more likely IMO.

78. By Darren Urban on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

cards62 –

RE: Cleveland pick

Don’t know if the Cards got the same offer.

79. By Darren Urban on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Ottis Anderson –

RE: Conference calls

Well, that’s the price of seeing how the hot dog is made.

80. By JOHN on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

is there a chance for the cardinals to get kyle rudolph as they do need a good
    Tight End.

81. By Darren Urban on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

John –

RE: Rudolph

Yes, there is a chance.

82. By John the draft guy on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

One more player to keep your eye on at 38 is Martez Wilson. At 6’4″ and 250, he ran a 4.42 at the combine.
    Played ILB, which would help us, but may be able to bounce outside and be an edge rusher.
    With no production doing that (edge rusher), I wouldn’t project him to move outside. But he could be a nice addition inside with that possibility.

83. By RelayTV on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

More from the draft:

84. By kaleb on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

john the draft guy-

According to your logic if a prospect has similar issues of a talented current nfl player, then he is not a risk and should be considered for selection.

Therefore Justin houston is good to go because michael vick was accused of using steroids and we would take him right..?

Nonetheless, I seriously doubt he is currently using PED’s or even used them at all. He is a great talent and would fit well.

Furthermore, I have a hard time believing the next 5 teams to pick will pass on Ayers so you could say its more of a prediction than a matter of what I want.

Brooks Reed is also a good athelete I think all three LB’s are a good possibility.

The cardinals passed to Leonard Pope and Ben Patrick in prior years all the time. If youre talking about 2010 maybe its the QB issues that created that problem.

As for Bowers, I put him there under the circumstances we want to salvage his value (eithera trade down the road or even better a trade for that draft spot to get him for some juicy picks) I dont see him dropping that far anyways I actually feel that Ayersand Bowers will be the first two to go today.

85. By kaleb on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Stone footed mallett? that guy needs a good O line, without it he will be as productive and as scathed as Derek Anderson was. Bad idea.

86. By Chris on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

One thing I noticed with Peterson is, him and his family didnt seem to happy that he was selected by the Cardinals when on TV. I didn’t see as much delight in his face or his family faces (McFadden’s either).

In his conf. call on here, I notice he keeps saying “for now”.. like asked how he felt being picked #5 instead of #1 like some projections had shown. His answer was I’m happy with where I am for now.. and asked about joining up with DRC, he says he is excited to get to pick his brain for the next couple of years.

Sounds like he is planning on going to another team already before he’s even got a contract here or spent any seasons with us.

87. By John the draft guy on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Kaleb,
    Not sure what you are saying about the risk.
    My comment about Mallett is I love him as a football player. I think he understands defenses and is competitive on the field. But, and its a big but, he has a want to be gangster attitude from what I’ve seen and heard. His off the field issues become a concern. Whiz had Big Ben in Pitt who had some of the same concerns. Because of that, would Whiz take him and shape him into a good QB? That is what I was asking.

I’m torn on the issue, because I have watched a lot of his games over the last 2 years. My wife (although a proud Texas A&M Aggie), has her family living in the Fayetteville area and are Razerback season ticket holders. I’ve seen this guy look amazing and think he can be a great QB. I also heard stories that he is a jerk off the field along with other issues. Can he grow up? Not sure. But it would be interesting to know what Whiz thinks.

As for Houston, I saw a report on CBS Sports claiming he failed a drug test. Could be wrong. We will see if he starts dropping.

88. By cards62 on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Chris he looked a lot happier to me then Nick F. looked when being selected by the Lions. Lets not read ahead too much as the book does not even have the first chapter written yet.

Lets be happy that our organization drafted a stud in round one and hope they continue to work their magic in the draft and free agency so we will have a strong team again next year.

Go Cards Kyle Rudolph come to papa. If we draft him I think I will start his fan club for the Cardinals ha ha ha.

Have a great weekend everyone.

89. By cards62 on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Cardinals are on the clock and Kyle Rudolph is available. I am so excited. This will be my first fan club

90. By cards62 on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Ryan Williams a running back! Are you kidding me? I really wanted Kyle but I could have lived with an OLB or offensive tackle, but we select a running back.
    I think he will be a good player but I was happy with Beanie, Tim, and Hypen for one more year so I do not understand or like this pick. What are others thoughts?

Second round went perfect for us DB, DB, QB, QB, then a lineman. We could not have ask for better options with our second round pick.

What do the rest of you think?

Go Cards

91. By Daniel on May 2, 2011 | Reply

Looking forward to see what Horton can mix together as a Def cord. and with these fierce CBs i think its going to be a hell of a year.

Darren.

Do you believe that Horton can put this defence into shape?

92. By Darren Urban on May 2, 2011 | Reply

Daniel –

RE: Horton

Let’s see what happens in free agency, but yes, I like what I hear right now. Can he for sure? No way to know right now.