Cards take RB Ryan Williams in second

Posted by Darren Urban on April 29, 2011 – 3:46 pm

Well, there’s a curveball from the Cardinals, as they spend their second-round pick on Virginia Tech running back Ryan Williams. Jason Wright is likely retiring but the Cards still have Beanie Wells, Tim Hightower (whose contract has expired) and LaRod Stephens-Howling. You figured they needed a back, but a surprise in the second, especially since they are clearly still looking for a pass rusher. You also wonder how much Hightower’s lingering fumble issues could be in play.

Williams is called a “supercompetitive multi-purpose back” by Pro Football Weekly, who also note he “runs too hard” as a negative (I always thought that was a plus, right?).

We’ll have to wait for press conference later to get a better picture. But again, they always say they want to take best player available. You have to assume that’s what they did.

UPDATE: Williams just said during his pre-draft visit to Tempe, the Cards told him they hoped he’d fall to them in the second round at pick No. 38, and if he did, he’d be a Cardinal. So I guess this wasn’t a surprise to anyone in the know.

Tags: , , , ,

122 Responses to “Cards take RB Ryan Williams in second”

1. By Ty on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

I was really hoping for Reed. But do you think they are gonna let Hightower go now?

2. By Edgar Valenzuela on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

STUPID STUPID!!! Why didnt we take Mallet Darren? He pretty much fell in our lap.Also I would have excepted a linebacker but running back?

3. By Sedona Chris on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

curveball is an understatement… this is like getting nailed by a pitch when you’re in the on deck circle… hopefully there will be some clarity later… i also hope we can trade up to get reed… as we do need that hole at LB covered

4. By Cleveland Mitchell on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

With all the needs the cardinals have on D-fence im surprised they got him I wonder if they have lost faith in beanie well s cause I havent

5. By The Fanimal on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

I cannot believe my eyes and ears right now.

6. By Sedona Chris on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

as i post that comment, reed gets drafted… hey darren- why are so many teams passing on mallet and bowers?

7. By Keegan on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Runs too hard? That’s like saying you’re in the weight room too much

8. By cards D on the rise!! on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

iffy about the pick!! i would rather have taken a pass rusher or maybe even a O- lineman. i hope its hightowers spot that he takes cause beanie is about to have break out year

9. By MattS on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Really gotta question this pick. We needed lots of other help and we went with a RB? Guess that seals Hightower’s fate

10. By James on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

I hope they are letting Hightower go if they picked another Running Back when they still need a Pass Rusher. I hope this doesn’t backfire and we are headed down the path of misery again.

11. By The Shoe on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Could it be that we are looking for pass rushers and QB in Fre Agency? If that’s the case, this could be a better pick then expected.

12. By Christien on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

You guys will like Ru once he gets his chance to shine on the field he’s a breakaway threat everytime he touches the ball & is a perfect compliment to whoever you decide to bring back. He’s a determined workhorse & leaves all hes got on the field at the end of the day!!!!! Maybe you wanted them to pick a defensive guy but you cant go wrong w/ the 2nd best rb behind Ingram in the whole draft!!!! GOOD LUCK RU!!!!!!! I might just like the cardinals a little more now!!!!

13. By Mark in Chandler on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

??????? Williams is a franchise RB (if such a thing exists still) but this seems illogical. Now because they have taken two positions that were not of need now some key positions simply can’t be filled through the draft. You still have to get an OLB in draft because they just don’t come up in FA. OG can be had in FA. TE can be had further down. See about ILB as well.

14. By Darren Urban on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Sedona —

RE: Bowers/Mallett

Bowers as a serious knee question. As for Mallett, have you not seen all the reports out pre-draft? Major off-field worries, and on-field, there is a concern he is Ryan Leaf II.

15. By Darren Urban on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

The Shoe —

RE: FA

No question that is possible.

16. By smack28 on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Just a dumb pick all around. This was a need that could have been addressed later. Too many DEs and OLBs to pass up to pick this player. I just don’t get it.

17. By Peter in Canada on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

This is a real shocker. If the first pick was conservative this was the opposite. Upon further quick research he appears to be a player with limited experience who yet put up great numbers at VT in the opportunities he had. It appears they picked the best athlete available and who can blame them for that. Wells and Hightower are on notice.

18. By Ryan on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

God. I wanted Reed so bad. We had it and we need it. Not sure why they picked this unless they are worried about someone leaving.

19. By skeltonfan on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

I want a real good explanation for this pick. A RB are you kidding me. We need linebackers and OL

20. By Tyler Comella on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Edgar are you stupid you have no clue what going on so dont even speak. They did not take a Qb for a reason. They always have a plan when they choose a player. Also we still got another pick I think we go with an OlB or a Guard.

21. By carlo7000 on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

darren
    i think is a very good player but the only reason we pick him is because we will trade beanie wells for carson palmer

22. By Matt in Philly on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Yep. Don’t like this pick one bit. We had three big needs in this draft: OLB, O-line, and QB. We addressed none of these with our first two picks. Now I foresee SF having the draft I wish we had: Aldon Smith and Ryan Mallet.

23. By Andrew on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

It’s like getting hit by a pitch int he groin when you’re inthe on deck circle

24. By drumm-1 on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

not going to jjump the gun to fast, but i don’t understand this pick, whats your thought on it Darren… I do believe they have a plan though..

25. By Peter in Canada on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Also Christien seems to know the guy and I am inclined to respect his view.

26. By Gary K. on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Sweet, another RB whose questionable attributes are durability and ball security! I really hope there is an alterior motive behind this, because I think any one of Bowers, Reed, or Ayers would have been the best balance of taking best available while still filling immediate need. Who is with me?

27. By Nate on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Looks like a beast lets hope he plays like one. But pass to pass on Mallet makes me question “flood the Position”.

28. By drummer-1 on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

i spelled my own name wrong, guess i am a little ticked..hahaha

29. By cahongisto on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Cards Fans:

We still have 6 picks left and free agency… That leaves alot of room for our front office to make some solid moves… And maybe we look at trading with a team like Denver for Orton and DJ Williams for our first pick next year? I mean with them bringing in Miller and already having Dumervil you never know what a new coaching staff will do? Gotta think outside the box and hope for the best! Go Cards!

30. By Better Than Whiz on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

This is doggy doo doo! Kenneth needs to go…

31. By mike hadzinski on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

dumb pick we needed a rush Lb Brooks reed was sitting there not to mention TE Kyle R was there. Darren i hope you ask Graves Keim or whiz why they passed on Brooks reed.That would make me feel better i hope you step up to the plate and post an article about this meaning takeing BPA over need. thanks darren mike hadzinski

32. By Ryan Reed on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

It says he has fumbling issues and is injury prone too! We already have 2 of those in our backfield. Without an o-line that can open holes, what’s the point? I thought we needed pass rushers? Only time will tell I guess.

33. By daniel corrales on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Hey guys , beanie is not the answer for Rb , last season what did he do for us ? The only reason why he replaced hightower was because of his fumbling issues , hightower && wells don’t put up high number every week , we need a better run game , ilove this pick ,

34. By aitchem on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Hey, Darren. Do us ALL a favor and don’t print stuff like “you’re so stupid”. That’s not what this place is about. I’m a big Cards fan, but I’m not going to waste my time reading sophomoric insulting. Life’s too short for that. It’s constructive, or it doesn’t belong here. This place is ours too, and we all have a right to air an opinion without personal attacks.

35. By mike hadzinski on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

cahongist-

do you really think anyone can replace the need of brooks reed this brings me back to the T.suggs pick just shocked an a little upset

36. By Paul H on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

super competitive and runs too hard. Sounds like a younger Hightower. Actually I think Hightower did fumble a lot because he ‘ran too hard”. So hard he didn’t secure the ball. Hope the kid can hang on to the rock..

37. By LUKE on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

very surprised in the pick.there were alot of good pass rushers out there but they definately did this for a reason,so……we will see…

38. By PWalker on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

They could have got a tight end, or the kid from UCLA or Arizona as a pass rusher.
    A runningback? A one year wonder at that. Possible trade bait?
    Sounds like another 3rd round linbacker, go figure.

39. By Phoenixraven1 on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Everybody needs to calm down! This guy was a beast year before last, his injury is healed, his Combine was excellent, etc…bottom line is they have a plan…wouldn’t doubt we see a trade including LSH when FA opens now that we have Peterson.

40. By 949Cardsfan on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Stop thinking with your hearts my fellow Cards fans. The reality is we were last in the NFL in rushing with our current backs. And we were 5-11 as a team. You pick BEST available player! Especially when these are your stats. Every position is a need. How many times do you have to be told that?

41. By Chuck 1 on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

And, Roger Goodell steps to the mike and says:

“And, with the 69th pick in the 2011 NFL draft, the Arizona Cardinals select:”
    (insert any CB’s name here)

WTF is going on in the Card’s draft room?????????

42. By Jesse Robles on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Reminds me of Pierre Thomas at New Orleans, not mad at the pick with free Agency still out there. liked Kyle Rudolph though, AZ needs a TE soon. Tired of these sup par TE we have had, as of late.

43. By Maunka Morgan on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Sweet! I like the pick! Go Cardinals Baby!

44. By PWalker on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Maybe Philly or Baltimore need a running back.

45. By CaliCard on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

I can’t believe with the pressing needs we have at linebacker and offensive line the Cardinals “brain trust” would EVEN draft a friggin running back in the 2011 draft!!!! What a bunch of idiots!!! Don’t they remember how terrible our running game was last year with a lousy O-Line and 3 good/decent running backs? Were loaded at the position and Whisenhunt couldn’t figure out who to use consistently resulting in lousy numbers for all 3. It was terrible to watch our running game and frustrating to see that Whisenhunt couldn’t make up his mind who the starter was. He’s wasted the talents of both backs. Looks like we’re going to be bottom feeders again this year. Un freakin believable!!

46. By Darren Urban on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

aithcem —

RE: “stupid”

When did I say that?

47. By Bob on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Does Philly need a running back? or does Cinncy??

48. By Brian on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

omg everyone listen…whiz is not selecting a qb…period!…..they have a plan to take one in free agency…plus ryan is a stud look him up on youtube and zip it!…he is a STUD!….get the picture the cards want to be steeler jrs…and I agree all the way!…dont worry about our pass rushers….we will get some in free agency and later draft picks…all in all this pick was a shocker but i am glad they took ryan because he his heart is bursting out of his chest to run with the pigskin!…all you haters just quit whiz knows what he is doing and i support all the way…

IN WHIZ WE TRUSST!!!!!….keep up the good work darren best team reporter in the NFL!!!

49. By MAJOR on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Number one, u shud have taken Quinnin the first round and then Dalton or Kaepernick in the second; wedont need another running back, an unwise move. Or to havemade a great pickin the second why not the tight end Rudolph would have answered a lot of questions. This looks to me to be another terrible draft………….

50. By cardinalchuy on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

How many picks we have left and where darren??? Thx

51. By Beanie Fan on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Darren, please tell me that this pick is for the Bengals and that we are packaging something for Carson Palmer?? I know Cedric Benson is a free agent and was mouthing off about his carries last year. Makes sense if this is the case.

52. By Marcelo on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

strategy is the core of it all…. that`s what make the show so amazing….
    we may not know what Card Offensive coordinator is predicting to 2011, let’s wait the best with this RB

53. By Gang6230 on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Verry good pik the right philosophy the best player available.

54. By CaliCard on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Gentlemen, it looks like Whisenhunt is not drafting to win us games. If he doesn’t get us back to at least .500 I say, “Fire the bum” along with Keim and Graves. It’s looking more and more like Whisenhunt’s success came from Kurt Warner and Denny Green’s draft picks and free agent pickups.

55. By Aaron on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Years ago they didn’t take Adrian Peterson cause they didn’t want to pay 2 RB’s good money. Now we have 4 RB’s. Mistake 1: Not drafting AP. Will this be mistake #2? I hope not. Only time will tell what happens.

56. By RIan on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Where are you guys seeing “fumbling” issues? I see over 400 carries with zero (0) fumbles….. Am I missing something?

57. By JOHN on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Is o-lineman or te/ wr possible for the 3rd round?

58. By Jerry on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

I sure hope the Cards are planning on being hyper aggressive once free agency begins…

59. By Mark in Chandler on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

In thier favor, They pick the best corner in the draft. They pick the best RB in the draft (IMO). Starting OLB just don’t come along in FA so now they need to look at Moch or Chris Carter or take a flyer on Houston and hope he stays off the wacky weed. Moch is good, Carter has potential.

60. By PWalker on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Wells and Hightower both had better college careers than Williams and he is too small to pass block. Wells and Hightower do not have anything to worry about with this kid. The only way they are leaving is in a quarterback deal. Besides, Whiz refuses to run the ball so who needs another runningback.

61. By Darren Urban on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

caridnalchuy —

RE: Picks

One pick left in each remaining round for now. Third tonight.

62. By Darren Urban on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Beanie —

RE: Trade

They like Williams. Clearly.

63. By Darren Urban on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

John —

RE: OL/TE

Yes. But I thought that before.

64. By Matt on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

I think we are trading Beanie for Carson Palmer we got a RB Cincy got a QB

65. By darrel on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Darre have the cards showed any interest in dontay moch? I think he’s our pass rusher

66. By jarrett on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Go figure Cards trying to get a gem in the ruff, like the last 2 years. They didnt work out. DUMB DUMB, to much talent still on the board, I pretty sure this guy would still be aval. in the 3rd round. Darn you Cards, will the bleeding ever stop!!!

67. By Jahstone on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Like the pick but let’s remember last year we were going to “shore up our holes” by getting Joey Porter and DA??? How about a great free agency Bidworst!!!

68. By Gang6230 on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren the NFL website says the cards gave 2 6 round piks. So it’s not just 1 in each round.

69. By Brian on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

everyone that writes on here does not know what they are talking about…and none of these people were on here 4 years ago when the cards were no superbowl contenders..bunch of bandwagon cry babies…stop crying and just pay attention…read my previous post and be quiet geeez…i like the dude that sais fire whiz…calicard go root for the niners…let whiz do what he does because as far as i know hes the only one that has got us close to a ring!…period!

70. By Gang6230 on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

I mean have 2 6 round piks

71. By Darren Urban on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Gang6230 —

RE: Picks

Oops. You are right. Two in the sixth, and one compensatory one at the end of the seventh.

72. By jeremy on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

This is far from dumb. The kid is a animal, he was a 2nd team all-american as a redshirt freshmen running behind a average va tech line. He has unbelievable moves and can pound the ball between the tackles. I think if we keep drafting the best players and can get some players in free agency we will have a great chance of winning the division.

73. By cahongisto on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Mike H:

Honestly look at my previous posts on here I wanted Brooks Reed so badly it hurt… I am a season ticket holder of the UofA Wildcats and I know that he can play… only thing I am trying to do posting is trying to keep the fan base positive … We are already such a small group of real fans for this team and now that we didnt make the playoffs those fair weather saps that latched on during our super bowl run are gone… so instead of falling back into the pattern we had during the 90s when everyone just talked down to us and made fun of our team I am saying there are still alot of moves to make and you never know… by the way the Suggs deal haunts me to this day … almost as bad as drafting Wadsworth at 3 … But think of our ownership group think of our free agent signings … We never draft aggressive pass rush defenders or if we do it is usually when they are in the twlight of their careers… Berry was the last great signing for us and he really went under the radar when we signed him … But honestly it is nice to see someone have passion about the cards so I get your frustration … I will pose a couple of things for you to consider though…
    Casey Matthews, Marc Herzlich, Justin Houston and Ricky Elmore are all left on the board and I think all have potential to be LBs that produce and make an impact … I’d also say that Moffitt, Marcus Cannon, Clint Boling are all available for O-Line help … with 6 picks left gotta just keep watching

74. By DirtybirD on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Wow, didn’t see that one coming! What do you think Darren, OLB Mason Foster of Washington in the 3rd?

75. By georgiebird on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Yesterday, I made a comment about 2011 being a big year for Beanie to shine. It’s now evident that the Cards don’t like Beanie or THT as a featured back.
    The only problem I have with the Williams pick (and he seems to be a big talent)- if the Cards fall behind a lot how effective can the running game be?
    Williams like Peterson is a very young football player.

76. By Darren Urban on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

DirtybirD —

RE: Third round

Like I said on Twitter, after the last pick, I will refrain from predictions.

77. By cahongisto on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Darren:

Who were you predicting we’d pick prior to that that pick?

78. By Stone on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Justin Houston in the 3rd? Could drop to us!

79. By Darren Urban on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Cahongisto —

RE: second round

I thought pass rusher was a lock.

80. By KingJM on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

I don’t think that guy talking about the “stupid” comments is directed towards your remarks. He’s talking about all the other people saying that stuff. He’s saying don’t allow those posts to make it onto the discussion board.

81. By cardsalltheway on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

“Curveball?”
    Ha, I’d say SCREWBALL. “Runs too hard” means Ryan Williams is injury prone just like Beanie Wells. R. Williams TORE his hamstring last year.
    “RunsI too hard” – 477 yards in 2010, The Green Bay Packers won a Super Bowl with a 7th round rookie running back. I knew Ken W. would be a killjoy.

82. By Bill L on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Edge to Hightower to Wells to Williams…………and the only constant is one of the worst O-Lines in the NFL…….Cards should Draft Clark Kent!! He’s the only one who could gain yards behind the 5 pathetics in front of him. But, Hey ONE running Back is a TON cheaper than 5 good linemen………Ka-ching!!! Eh, Bidwill?

83. By cards62 on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

I am glad most of you are like me and are upset with the pick. Of course we all hope we are wrong, but I wanted the best tight end in the draft and definitely a position of need for us and we could have taken Reed or the OLB from UCLA or one of several OL and we take a running back.

I do hope they have a plan in draft and/or free agency to improve our OL or it does not matter who runs the ball or who our QB is as we will stink again.

Stay positive Cardinal fans but like most of you I think this was a bad move by Whiz and Graves.

84. By Darren Urban on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

KingJM —

RE: Comments

Ahhh. Well, he may be right, but I always take the direction that, barring foul language, I hesitate to censor. Slippery slope.

85. By cardsalltheway on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Brian,
    I bought a laptop which gives me access to the Internet 24/7. That means I don’t have to go to the library to post on this website. Shame on the Internet, I guess we should all return our computers so you can be the only Cardinal fan aye? We are surely lucky that you know what you’re talking about:(

86. By cowboyssuck on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

what a bunch of whiners, already giving up on the season? this is a good pick, 4 good backs the cards will have to choose from. round 3 mallett or dontay moch a native arizonan.

87. By emm7777 on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

I think we are all forgetting schofield. He had a couple sacks in limited time, maybe he works out. We should just stop getting mad and trust in our teams plan.

88. By D on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Unbelievable-another year with no pass rush-are you kidding me, a rb over a pass rusher???…then a TE over a pass rusher…please tell me you do not plan on bringing back porter…memo to Kiem and Whiz, there is not a pass rusher left when FA hits…no corner can cover for 6 seconds in this league….

89. By DeVeau on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

A reach in the 2nd for Williams and now not even a reach, a close your eyes and hope something sticks TE from where as their 3rd pick?

I appreciate all you do, but after 20 years of being a fan, and forced to sit through crap like this, I’m done. I’ll find a college team to cheer for.

90. By cardsalltheway on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

How many Tight Ends has Ken W. already chewed up and spat out? Ken W. was a Tight End himself and is seemingly unable to coach up his own previous TE draft picks. Maybe he won’t have to do his job and coach up a 3rd round TE? Another killjoy move, keep it up Ken.

91. By Koftw on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

wow, passing up mallet in the 3rd round? i thought he was the most pro-ready? This is so weird. I would expect Mallet at least 3rd and a pass rusher in 2nd.

92. By Nick Pepe on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Surprise? Yes. Dumb move? You really can’t answer that for probably a couple of years. I am sure there is a method to their madness.

93. By E.Smith on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

These players are being picked by a team of long-time football professionals. They are far more experienced than any of us will ever be. Let’s give them the benefit of the doubt that they know what they are doing and, certainly know more than we do. That doesn’t mean they are infallible, but they are far less fallible than us.

94. By DrewCards on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Personally I like the pick of Williams, Hightower most likely is gone and I can’t say Id be unhappy to see him leave. I think the OLB spot isn’t a really big need for the Cards. Porter did have an off year, but could rebound and they still have Schofield who started come around towards the end of the season.

95. By Chuck 1 on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Will someone help me understand something, PLEASE.
    I think that it was a consensus of Cards fans that a pass rushing DE or OLB would be drafted in an early round. Most rational fans thought that one of the major reasons that the Card’s defense was so bad in 2010 was that it was unable to get any pressure on the QB.
    PLEASE explain to me why a RB and TE were selected in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

96. By Jeff Gollin on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

I don’t think it’s fair to rush to judgment, but have to admit that the first three picks leave me underwhelmed.

I buy the Peterson pick (elite athlete and you never can have too many CB’s) and I understand our need for a pass-catching TE fast enough to stretch the middle of the field and provide a big target for Skelton, Bartell or “QB-X.”

But if you buy into the willingness to draft for need at TE, what about Pass Rusher, O-Line and backup QB. With few exceptions all the ones considered good are off the board.

We passed on Bowers, Reed and Ayers to take a RB despite having THT, LSH and Beanie on our roster.

We passed on Mallett, Matthews and McCarthy in order to draft Housler.

I want to hear what Wiz, RG and Steve K have to say before diving off the cliff. I guess the best way I can put it is: “Even if we drafted the BPA at each position thru the 1st 3 rounds, what are we going to do about a pass rusher? What are we doing to bolster our offensive line. How do we plan to become bigger and tougher at inside LB. And are we ready to go with a Veteran to Be Named Later, Skelton and Bartell at QB?

That’s what makes me more than a bit nervous.

97. By SeeingRed on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Que??

Well, I hope this doesn’t mean they are considering letting Tim H go because I’d rather see the perpetually hurt/underachieving Beanie go first. Tim has fumbling issues but is still clearly (IMO) the best RB on this team and has continued to get better each season…and no offense to any fans out there but if u think Beanie has been a better back than TH u haven’t been paying attention.

I’d have to assume the Cards org really knows something about this kid to take him 2nd rd (with all the other obvious and pressing needs) and even tell him ahead of time that he was their guy. Here’s hoping they got it right.

98. By lets talk cardinals on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Bunch of cry babies! Let the experts do there thing! We are one of 5 teams to reach the Superbowl in the last 3 years. Better then 27 other teams….our defense was good lastyear! What do you expect when the Offense doesn’t get any 3rd downs?????? Its obvious you guys dnt know anything! Giants & Panthers are a prime example of what having 2 or more running backs does! Stop crying last time I checked our replacements for A. Rolle & K. Dansby had very similar numbers! O yeah both those teams didn’t make the playoffs, go figure! Do your research rookies….

99. By D on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

I don’t fault them for passing on a QB, actually besides the first pick the only thing I liked the last two days..but if you are running a 3-4 you need more than D. Washington and a hope O’brien will come through…assuming they will take a Guard on Sat, but they may take a punter at this rate….

100. By Heat wave on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

I would rather have had Virgina Tech’s QB instead. We can still get him in the 4th round.

101. By Haggis Bob on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

I think the coaching staff can teach him to be patient and reduce his injuries and increase performance. I like the competition at the position. Must agree though we could have used a LB but if this kid is the best player on the board, I understand.

102. By drummer-1 on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

i’ve been a cardinals fans since 79 and i am baffled by this pick, but i think they have a plan in mind.. with that being said.. I have never seen so many cry baby’s on one site in my life….the drafts not over, the season hasn’t started, and yet you;re calling for people to get fired because of a draft pick..wow

103. By Burlybird on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

We keep talking about the need for an OLB but people seem to forget about the guy we drafted in the 4th round last year who arguably had first round talent: O’Brien Schofield. He started knocking the rust off late last year after starting the season on PUP so I view him as basically a new draft pick for this upcoming season. Perhaps Whiz and Graves have big plans for this kid.

104. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

A shot across the bow…

A slap upside the head….

Lighting a fire under one’s butt…

I love the pick. Competition is needed badly at RB, even if Hightower is gone. Hope this ends up being a chip on Beanies’ shoulder that will push him to put forward the extra effort needed to take it to the next level.

105. By Doblerfan on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

I like this kid but with Reed, Ayers, Rudolf, & Wilson still there-are you kidding me. I hope time will make fools of us all.

106. By Dre on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

I can live with the pick since I didn’t care for Hightower…he’s a good back but caused problems with the fumbling.

I am disgusted with the 3rd round pick for the TE when my pass rusher was the best player on the board. Is it shocking Justin Houston was picked next by KC, Todd Hailey…Ironic or is it?

They better do right at the QB position…Kevin Kolb is the only choice!!!

107. By Hokieman on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Obviously I’m biased, but don’t knock Williams as not being 2nd round worthy because you wanted someone else. Last I looked, AZ ranked 32nd in the NFL last year rushing with your amazing 3-back rotation in 2010 – dead last. You should have complained about drafting Wells a couple of years ago so high. When’s the last time a Big 10 running back did anything in the NFL. Wells is your problem. Dump him, run RW, and give Hightower 3rd downs. Go RMFW

108. By Michael on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

I trust Graves and Coach Wiz, but if there is an odd man out, it has to Wells, Hightower can do so many things, pass protect, short yardage, especially near the goaline and has great character, he has shown enough to remain the starter, draft status should not be factored in. I am a Leinart fan, but Arizona let him go, Wells should be treated no diferent if a running back has to go. And contract status should not matter, Hightower can be resigned and Wells can be released.

109. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Good thing I’m not a betting man because this draft would have bankrupted me.

Having said that, attempting to judge any draft as it’s happening is taking our guesses way too seriously. Even a zealous college football fan couldn’t begin to know what the scouting department knows about these guys. I met a guy the other day who was picked up as a free agent by the Cowboys after playing at a division two school in Georgia and he told me they knew everything about him, going to back to what illnesses he had as a child, what he was like in middle school, obviously on to his high school and college career. All that for a guy they granted a tryout to.

I do think the picture of what we’ll be targeting in FA is becoming clearer as the picks come in (not that I’m betting on it). The other thing that may be letting known to us is who the Whiz was referring to when he stated that he cut too many players too much slack last season.

110. By firemagoo on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Anyone think that a TE running a 4.4 up the seam won’t lift the lid for fitzs favorite underneath crossing route?? If, and after last year it is IF, Beanie can pound the rock inside and not try to bounce and run around people I think he and Williams complement each very well. Williams quicker than we think and good receiver without fumbilitis. And Drafting a QB wasn’t necessary and really isn’t now with so many teams taking 1st and 2nd rd guys. The veteran market landed in our lap. If your Kolb, Palmer, mcbabb, orton, bulger, hasselback or even Smith (ok way down the list) where are u gonna go that is better than AZ. Teams left are Seattle, bills, dolphins, raiders and redskins. I like our chances.

111. By Brad ONeill on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

I cant help but think this is a huge vote of confidence in Obrien Schofield, and a vote of uh oh for timmy Hightower and mr. wells. I know they love lsh but he is probably in some danger here also.

112. By cardsalltheway on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Forget Ryan Williams slow 40 combine time and his 2009 stats. In between he didn’t just pull his hamstring, he tore it. In 2010 he didn’t even gain 500 yards and had a whopping 4 yards on 4 carries (1 yard avg. per carry) in his last college(Orange Bowl) game vs. Stanford. Running backs averaged 3.87 yards per carry against Stanford’s defense in 2010. Orange Bowl 01/10/2010 final score… Stanford won 40 – 12.
    RB’s drafted by the Cardinals in early rounds don’t usually turn out to be worth much of anything. That’s not to say they can’t/don’t move on and have better careers(Thomas Jones/Jets)? The last RB taken by the Cardinals out of Virginia…
    Arizona Cardinals Top 10 Draft Busts: Thomas Jones, 4th Biggest Bust.

113. By bluepitt on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Williams had 9 career TD’s ESPN has him at 2?hahahahaha
    ESPN, NCAA, YAHOO, doesnt keep fumble stats but CBS and NBC does!!! here is the CBS link (6 fum in 23 games lol hahaha) http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/players/playerpage/1630601/ryan-williams

hay whiz! stick foot in mouth!!!!!

114. By cardsalltheway on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Today, Ken W. said “It’s a complete process, it’s not an isolated process” but the “Promise kept” to Ryan Williams sure sounds like an “isolated process” to me!
    Ken W. continues…”The grades on the other players available when Williams was there didn’t match Williams grade(Whisenhunt said Williams was the Cards’ 15th-ranked player).”
    I’ve got to wonder how many other people/teams had Ryan Williams ranked # 15 on their best all-around player available list ? For cryin out loud, he was listed as the 3rd best running back according to some and 5th best according to others. 2 out of 3 reports that I saw had R. Williams ranked as the 5th best running back, how does being the 5th best at your position get you on the Cardinals 15th best all-round player list?
    I hope the best for Ryan Williams but you’ve got to wonder what is going on in that warped room?

115. By cardsalltheway on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

There ought not be any “IF’s” when talking abut the skills of your newly drafted 2nd round choice but of course Ken W. said(about blocking)… “If Ryan Williams can handle the protection element…”
    Since Ken W. insisted on drafting a RB in the 2nd round, why not draft a RB who you KNOW CAN PROTECT? It’s a little late to be now but too early in the season(if there’s going to be one) to be complaining about your newly drafted RB can’t block. But thanks for the heads up Ken W., now we won’t be surprised when whoever our QB is gets his noggin knocked off b/c our 2nd round RB can’t block.

116. By kaleb on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

After doing some research, i actually like both of these guys for the cardinals. Dont forget the Cardinals can solve most of their needs in free agency, i mean its not that difficult to pick up 4 or 5 guys in free agency (QB,OLB, OT, OG, QB#2?). I think most of you are nervous because we havent seen free agency yet. We have four months to resolve labor issues and carry on with business.. its going to happen soon. And when it does happen i think we will be in for an esciting remainder of the offseason. Going to be alot of moves.

117. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

I’m as big of a Whiz fan as there is, but the blunder about Williams’ career at VA Tech leaves me wondering about the work he’s doing for the draft or if our scouting department is just that bad. He cites the North Carolina game as a positive for Williams (which, having seen the highlights I can agree with, it did include a lot of highlight plays against a pretty loaded team), but it amazes me he could reference that game, while making the fumble comment, after reading this:

What gives? I can’t believe they wouldn’t have broke down every play this kid has ever been involved in.

118. By LUKE on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

i am interested to see how this pans out.i must say im somewhat skeptical but as some have said ,competition may be good for our rbs.and as far as not drafting a qb,good.we dont need to draft one.I think Skelton can be good and with all the qb’s being drafted,it really helps when free agency comes because all those teams that were looking for a qb will be out of the mix and the cards will have more options,.pick upa decent veteran qb,work on skelton and try and get a quality pass rusher in fa.dont forget daryl washington.im hoping he will develop nicely and everything from last year points that direction

119. By bill butler on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

cardinal dont know what they have done by not taking brooks reed, another future all pro sho can rush the passer and never stops. graves your days are numbers if you continue to draft like this. same old cardinals.

120. By bluepitt on May 1, 2011 | Reply

Kaleb,
    What you say is true. But you forgot one thing our Cards dont spend the $$$$ to pick up 3 of 4 good FA’s.lol we will go after the FA’s when the well is almost dry! geting players that are at teh end of their careeeeers!!!!!

121. By bluepitt on May 1, 2011 | Reply

Sounds a whole lot like our Timmy!

“BLACKSBURG — Ryan Williams stayed up all night Thursday thinking about the fumble that led to the deciding points in North Carolina’s 20-17 upset win over then-No. 14 Virginia Tech.

His teammates tried to convince him that he wasn’t to blame for the Hokies’ loss, but his fumble at the Tar Heels’ 24-yard line with 2:02 left stayed with him. It haunted him. “It makes me sick to my stomach,” he told reporters Sunday.”

2. Apr 30, 2011: Top Posts — WordPress.com