• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Tight end Housler becomes third pick

Posted by Darren Urban on April 29, 2011 – 5:57 pm

The Cardinals took tight end Rob Housler out of Florida Atlantic in the third round. Housler came on as a senior and showed well at the combine. He had 39 receptions for 629 yards and four touchdowns last season. NFL Network’s Charles Davis said he reminds him of the Giants’ Kevin Boss. He is athletic, standing 6-foot-5 and weighing 248 pounds. He is married with a child too.

Ben Patrick, whose contract is up, seems unlikely to return. The other Cards’ tight ends are Jim Dray and Stephen Spach, so it was a need. Pro Football Weekly said he can catch in a crowd, and he is fast (4.46 was one of his timed 40s).

Housler said the Cards were a team that had showed interest in him pre-draft. He acknowledged he has to work on his blocking — a conversation he already had with Ken Whisenhunt — but he can “get open and stretch the field.”

Tags: ,

120 Responses to “Tight end Housler becomes third pick”

1. By DeVeau on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

And hew can’t block to save his life, it doesn’t matter it he can catch with his feet. Az’s O coordinator doesn’t use a TE as a pass catching threat. He’s worthless the way the Cards play.

2. By Brent Glenn on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

This was a great pick if it was in the 5th round. Did the Cards not realize Houston was still available?

3. By Koftw on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

I was expecting Mallet for sure, I saw this scenario: Cards sign Bulger to help develop Skelton/Mallet, Skelton/Mallet both compete and possibly take some snaps this season, see if Mallet is really pro-ready as most people say he is. He has the cannon arm that whiz loves so why not?

4. By Mark on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Who.?.?.?

5. By FORMER season ticket holder on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

WTH is this team doing? Housler – seriously? The last 2 picks have been horrible. Neither one will be on this team next year – unless we are 5-11 again

6. By PWalker on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Limited experience; only one year a starter. Hasn’t faced a lot of top competition. Strength is marginal; struggles as a blocker at times. Struggles to fight through traffic at the line of scrimmage; can simply get out-physicaled by bigger linebackers and gets knocked off his route too easily.
    Housler struggled to see playing time early in his career at FAU, which prompted him to redshirt in 2009 in hopes of earning a bigger role in the offense as a senior. The plan worked and he had a breakout year, developing into one of the more dangerous pass-catching tight ends in the country. He certainly looks the part; his size and athleticism make an ideal target in the passing game. However, he is still raw and has a long way to go before he is ready to be an every-down player at the next level.

7. By Dave the Bewildered Season Ticket Holder on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

What happened today !!!!!!!!!!!????????????????

We had a shot at OLB Reed from U of A in the 2nd – and WHO at TE in the 3rd

Did Whiz leave the draft room ??? Did somebody leave their kid in Charge while taking P. Peterson out for dinner tonight??? What is with these picks ???????????? UUUGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH…

So happy yesterday so bummed today……………Darren find Whiz escort him back to the draft room before it’s to late !!!!!!!!! S.O.S.

8. By AndyStandsUp on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Well, at least the Cards addressed their needs of QB, OLB and WR with Andy Dalton, Dontae Moch and AJ Green.
    Oh wait, that was the Bengals.
    But they still recovered by selecting Aldon Smith and Colin Kaepernick for OLB and QB.
    Sorry, that was the 49ers.
    Well, surely they would take Justin Houston to cover their biggest need?
    Nope. A non-blocking TE joins Patrick, Spach and Dray to match the crowded RB and CB positions.
    Man, I am confused about the direction.

9. By AussieCardsFan on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Arrg! Come on Cards! Massive 2nd round fumble led to poor 3rd round pick. Just keep telling myself coach Whiz has a plan…

10. By Doug B on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Wondering if he wouldn’t of still been there in the 4th rd????? I’m starting to wonder if the Cardinals just don’t like having rookies at certain postions on the team…Such as O-line. Maybe they prefer to get some savvy veteran so they can just plug him in and go.

11. By azcardinalfan on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

whyyyyyyy?????????

we should’ve gotten justin houston!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. By cheesebeef on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

this team… what a freaking joke. According to PFW, he’s a poor blocker and drops easy passes… but he sure can run fast! yay.

How Rod Graves and Steve Keim keep their jobs is beyond me.

and who the heck is going to play LBer?! just an unbelievably stupid 2nd day.

13. By Bob on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Awesome. Maybe in the fourth round the Cards can draft a punter that is projected to be an UDFA.

14. By Mark in Chandler on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

I think that starting OLB is out of the question now although Romeus is there and may be a 4th round if comfortable with his back. Acho is a lot like davis so wouldn’t go there. Carter is a project. I look to OG and ILB but I would also look at a SS tomorrow.

15. By Adam on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Excellent News Cards Actually got a Decent TE

16. By Stone on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Wow that is impressive speed for a big man. If he has the hands and the route running he could finally be a viable option to throw to unlike most TE we have had.

17. By William Barry on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

What a great draft Whiz is putting together. first we get a stud CB in Peterson, to shore up the backfield, then we get a very versatile back in round two, who is elusive and can catch out of the backfield, and then we “score” again, with R. Housler, a great pass catching tight end, has great skills. Now, how are the SF Niners going to stop us????? Go cards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. By Paul H on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Boy, was Ben Patrick a big disappointment or what. Never really got over the hump. Maybe it was the system. Kurt was always looking for one of the 4 WR’s
    I could see him doing much better on the right team.

19. By MikeG on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren– I like the first and third round picks on the surface. The second rounder I would have liked a defensive player specifically a a linebacker or a defensive lineman. A running back is a surprise–that tells me something what they think of Wells and Hightower. I can’t see taking that high of a pick to just replace Jason Wright. A little odd to me!! Oh well they know a hell lot more than I know!

20. By dane Bjorklund on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

seems like a big time stretch in the beginning of the third round!!! dont understand this one…could have traded down big time or even wait til the 4th round!

21. By John Halsey on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Unbelievable! Passing up on highly rated backers & d-lineman for an unknown tight-end??? They better know something we don’t or this will haunt this regime until their gone. UGH!!!!

22. By Darren Urban on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Koftw –

RE: Mallett

Obviously, Mallett’s off-field issues concerned a lot of people. And Skelton is actually more mobile than Mallett. Again, if they didn’t think whatever QB is appreciably better than Skelton, why not stick with Skelton?

23. By cardsalltheway on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

The one R. Housler highlight clip shown after we picked him was more impressing than that shown of L. Kendricks after the Rams picked him in the 2nd round. But, I still don’t like the pick – of all those guys in the war room, why doesn’t one of them stand up and shout “OFFENSIVE LINEMEN and LINEBACKERS.” I guess we can count on un-drafted players aye !
    Watch Ken W. ignore our the fact that our offensive line is terrible and after passing on the accurate Mallet in the 3rd round – choose Ricky Stanzi, Iowa QB in the 4th round?

24. By Alberto Sordi on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

The tight end was a reach for the 3rd round. With the lack of linebacker picks, maybe the Cards should go back to a 4-3 defense.

25. By John the draft guy on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Who would have guessed. picks 1-3 were a CB, RB, and TE.

My observations

A pitiful Defense is not getting much help. Don’t see help in Free Agency. Lets face it, Woodley and Mathews aren’t available. Really, good OLB’s who can put pressure on a QB just dont come available.
    I guess the combination of Porter, Haggins, Schoefield, and Davis will somehow put enough pressure off the edge. I guess they are happy with Lenon on the inside next to Washington.

With holes all over the OL, hopefully we will fill it with picks 4-7. I could see help in FA in this area.
    Is Beanie done with Cards with Williams pick? Sure seems like it.

I would have traded down,( I’ve made that clear) but I can see the Cards using Peterson like the Pack uses Woodson. With his 4.3 speed, I could see a few CB blitzes. They could move him inside like the did with Rolle on nickle situations or even over a TE like Vernon Davis. Or I could see him playing center field on nickle situations. Woodson is moved all over and I could see that with Peterson.

Did the cards pick good players ? Yes. I think looking at the picks alone, It’s a great draft. They got 3 really nice players. Its one of those Best Available drafts.
    Are we a better team? I don’t think so.

26. By cardsalltheway on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Grade 1, 2, 3, Rounds = C

27. By Kevin on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Just plain brutal. Who is going to rush the passer? Have we secretly signed all the O-lineman that are FA’s? Who is going to be QB? Prediction for 4th round pick, a Fullback that will get 3 snaps a game, can’t block, but “loves the game of football”.

28. By DirtybirD on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Hmm, Beanie and Doucet to Cincy for Parmer? Maybe the Cards are doing some behind the scenes dealing. What do think Darren, or you still in shock?

29. By Paul H on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Darren, calling IT, calling IT. the Williams conference call posted is of Dan Williams from last year.

30. By Steve on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Anyone who thinks that an instant analysis of the day’s draft has ANY meaning is a buffoon!

31. By Army Andrew on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

So let me get this straight. 1 round we take a CB. When we have glaring needs at QB and Linebaker. 2 round we take a RB. When not only do we still have glaring needs…. but we also have RBs and frankly have been trying to fill that spot behind a medicore off line for…. welll since I have been watching the cards. 3 round ….. tight end….. You guys are really testing my alligence Wiz.

32. By AndyStandsUp on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

If the Cards want to go with the 4 WR sets with Housler than why draft a bruising RB with Williams in the 2nd?
    If you want to punish the ball with Williams why select a poor blocker at TE?
    IMO,bottom line is Housler will be a third down guy in the spread formation and Williams will take LaRush’s spot in passing downs.
    And I really distaste Whiz’s underlying comments about TH’s fumbles as a possible root of cause for drafting Williams. Tim is a possible Ring of Honor player and to throw him in with the Rolles, Dansby and Leinarts doesn’t sit well with me.

33. By Cards Fan 4 Life on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

I feel like crying after they pass on Justin Houston and draft Rob my goodness!

34. By Joe on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

What? W/O an offensive line and poor blocking TE’s, how can we use another RB W/O holes to run to. I do not understand where the Cards are going with this draft. We needed pass rushers to help the CB’s and Safetys and OL to help whatever QB we intend to start (get one in free agency). So Beanie is a flop who can’t hold onto the ball. If we can’t open a hole, no RB will help. I am so disappointed.

35. By Darren Urban on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

DirtyBirD –

RE: Picks

RB still surprised. But TE doesn’t.

36. By Darren Urban on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Paul H –

RE: Williams call

Already fixing it.

37. By cheesebeef on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Wondering if you can answer a question for me. In Wiz’s comments about Williams, he said one of the things he loved about him was that in college he NEVER fumbled. Now, considering he fumbled SIX times in two years, can you tell me how our coach doesn’t have that kind of information or doesn’t know that when he spends a top 40 pick in the draft? How does the coach not only not know a KEY stat for his running back, but then tout a false stat as an attritbute… especially a key stat that PLAGUES this team at that position? I am at a complete loss over what our scouting department does if they don’t even know the weaknesses of the players they drafted. Enlighten me please.

Scott

38. By Code on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Kyle Rudolph was available? Akeem Ayers? Justin Houston? Brooks Reed? Why the HELL did we take a RB in the second round. Jesus christ that is disappointing.

39. By Darren Urban on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Cheese –

RE: Williams fumbles

I can’t. I didn’t know until after the presser was over.

40. By Andre on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Whoa, this was a weird draft day. With Akeem Ayers, Brooks Reed, Kyle Rudolph all available while being in the same rank as Williams is really weird. I guess they were REALLY high on this guy. Still, if any of these guys become good or great players i’d be very disappointed. I thought the whole running game was on the O-line, not the running backs. Didn’t we have the second to last sacks or lost yards? Can someone help me reason with this pick?

41. By NJAzCardsFan on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

This is all a plan so we can have the #1 pick next year and draft QB Luck.

42. By SteveDCO on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

I LOVE THIS DRAFT!

Best player taken each time. Upgraded talent at some key positions and still some picks left to add some OL help.

The Cards have a ton of money to spend in FA. They will go get one or two for OLB as well as a guard if needed.

This draft seems so strange because there are still a lot of holes on the team because FAs haven’t been added to the roster yet.

Everyone said trust the board and don’t try and fill all your holes in the draft. That’s just what the Cards did and now they can go add some projects in the later rounds and sign several FAs.

43. By Tony on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

I sure hope Whiz and Graves know what they are doing,I just can’t see it at all!

44. By Alex Robertson (Boundplaya) on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

On Williams’ fumbles:

I don’t know where it says that he fumbled six times in two years, but according to http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=381565 he didn’t fumble once.

45. By frankie on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Wow you guys think you know everything !!! The coaches know best !!! Casey mathews is still available and many other good picks …. Were drafting best player available and our running game just got alot better !!! Our TE were not doing anything now we have a huge target for whever our new qb is and if we need a blocker we still have anthony betch …… HAVE FAITH !!

All we need is a Qb which will be a vet and a linebacker which im sure next round will be our pick then its OL time ……..

46. By drummer-1 on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Let me take a guess at this…

After all the whinning and crying from most of the fans here, my guess is you will still be in front of the t.v or at the game when the season starts.. If it was that bad for you don’t watch them…

47. By Josh on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

My prediction –

Once the NFL (for real, this time) opens for business, the Cards will try to deal with Cincinnati or Denver for Palmer or Orton, respectively. In the event that fails, they’ll sign Bulger for a couple years.

That said, I think any one of these guys – excluding Peterson, which I think was a legitimate pick – would be packaged with Wells and/or Stephens-Howling (somebody mentioned Doucet earlier (see what I did there?)) and offered, along with future draft picks, to either team for their QB.

Sounds great… until we read in a hidden column late in, say 2014, stuffed neatly between the mattress and box springs of other articles outlining the Booms and Busts of the 2011 draft, that we sure as hell tried to trade for them… but somehow it didn’t work out.

Always somehow.

I’m at a loss. I really hope they like these guys, ’cause I’m stumped.

48. By mike hadzinski on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

darren

give us your thoughts on what you think………………Also i belive steve keim has alot to do with these kids Atlantic ooast Tight end and Roberst out of citadel,Gerg toler st.pauls i dont know i whish you would make an article about need vs BPA thanks mike

49. By AussieCardsfan on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

NJAzCardsFan

I totally agree with that!

50. By Matt on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

evertbody on here is such an expert maybe the birds will hire some of you. Do you notice that all the guys you want us to pick are the guys freaking Kiper says should go next you have more faith in Kiper than Whis. Kiper is a tool

51. By cardsalltheway on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Cheesebeef,
    Good research, maybe you should be sitting in the Cardinals draft Warped Room. Did Ken W. really think Ryan never fumbled but in reality he fumbled 6 times? Great scouting:( How come Cheesebeef knows the fumbling facts of our drafted players but nobody in the Warped Room does?
    Maybe we can use un-drafted offensive linemen as guinea pigs until Ken W. decides some of our late round rookie draftees sit on the bench a while watching so that the fans can be sure Ken W. won’t break his own “Rookies don’t start” rule.

52. By Joey on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

i am so pissed right now words can explain it !! with all of those good players still on the board we take a TE that cant catch or block ” BUT CAN RUN FAST “

53. By Igiveup on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Ok, I was getting upset at the highly questionable picks, but I figured it out.

The cards have decided to scrap 2011, tank the year, pick up Andrew Luck in 2012.

It’s the only way rounds 2 & 3 make sense.

54. By cardsalltheway on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

If what Cheesebeef says is true about Ryan Williams fumbling 6 times then that drops the Rounds 1-3 Draft Grade = D

55. By Doblerfan on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

I’m not much for drafting totally by need but when your pick is up and I see need and value, go with it. It’s like we’re always so focoused to get certain guys that we either reach or block out what is happenning in the rest of the draft. I just can’t watch tomarrow. Good luck Mr. Hightower and Mr. Patrick.

56. By cardsalltheway on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

I’m guessing no player tweeted anything praising either or both of the 2nd or 3rd round picks like D. Docket did yesterday? Maybe someone will on a belated note to hopefully subside the fury?

57. By BC on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

^^Obviously you didnt read all the comments because cheesebeefcurtains was wrong…Williams didnt fumble six times. Please read the link that Alex Robertson provided above.

You all dont know a thing, its really quite ridiculous and pathentic. I GUARANTEE 99% of you probably couldnt have named more than 10 offensive players and 10 defensive players from this draft off the top of your head…but now you’re experts because you watched a few hours of draft coverage. Get real ppl!

58. By Scharf on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Hey Guys,

1st Round I knew it was going to happen, as we struggled a little with the secondary, this kind of impact player is what we needed.

2nd Round : I was a little confused why we went with a RB, but obviously there is something in him that none of us have seen. He may prove to be an excellent RB, at least better than Beanie Wells who so far isn’t what he was cracked up to be.

3rd Round : We needed a good TE in the draft. The Cardinals can sharpen up the dull points and turn this guy into something special. He looks like he has the work ethic to figure out everything and “stretch the feild”.

So far I think the Cardinals Draft is a B+, I mean look at last years draft, most of you said those were poor picks and most if not all of those players are now starters on our Cardinals Team. If you guys’ honestly think you can do better, go buy a Team and get started.

59. By mike hadzinski on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

After looking inot videos about this TE he looks like he could be the best pass catching TE in the draft give him a couple years of hexalin and a litle john lott he will mold into an excellent TE also darren good article about pass rusher vs Bpa if we draft Casey matthews with our 4 rd pick the draft it will make all the other look a little bette get matthews in 4th solid B

60. By AndyStandsUp on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

@frankie-
    Anthony Becht, the only blocking TE the Cards had, was released during the final cuts last season.
    And though AZ has had success in later rounds, they might be going to the well too often to find impact players for OLB, OL and QB.
    Also, FA and trades are forbidden for now and given the history of Anderson, Hadnot,Porter and Faneca leaves me weary of the decision making of the club.

61. By mike hadzinski on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Ok after another shot this kid reminds me of a little jermichale finely thats it.

I bet after the cards got slammed by this guy couple years ago i bet they were looking for someone like that couple years later enter Rob housler

62. By Christo on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

ROUGH. Oh how things can change in one day. We went from draft winners to losers. Where is the O Line help? Where is the D help? Who is running this thing? I thought we were supposed to see something from this off season? We have 2 decent RB’s and a 3rd gets added! Why? We FINALLY look to get a decent TE but there were better one’s available, plus it’s REACH.

Scrape the barrell for the rest of the weekend, we can have scrap OL and LB help.

The FO can’t even try to snow us on BPA picks, because they were not even the BPA’s !!

63. By Phoenixraven1 on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Personally I think this is a great draft! Only time will tell! Just remember all Wiz small school guys hv contributed in a huge way to this team. I like this TE a lot! The rb situation seems to hv something behind it…like say a trade to Denver or Cinci lol!

64. By D on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

They had this Rb ranked higher than Kyle Rudolph – Akeem Ayers Justin Houston- Brooks Reed– a 5’9 injury plagued player…someone will get fired down the road for this bad pick…love to hear the spin on this to convince us season ticket holders how this will improve the team… I only can hope some decent pass rusher get’s cut this FA season…maybe when players can be traded, we can offer up a rb to Indy for Jerry Hughes

65. By kaleb on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

My goodness, relax folks. There is a plan. I hope it involves Kevin Kolb because if so we could lock in the best QB in our division alongside sam bradford, with SF jumping us to take kaepernick…. I say we get Kolb, Bulger, and keep skelton around.

66. By Sean on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

A lot of people seem really bummed about Housler, I cant see why…? He can be a very useful tool for 2nd/3rd and short downs. I think it can really open the ground and pound running game they seemed to want for Beanie and also short yard or back field passes for the RB’s.

67. By Mike on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Round 1 GREAT!!! rounds 2 and 3 can we please have a do over

68. By 949Cardsfan on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

I wish I could say I trust in Whiz, but after the handling of the QB position last year, I don’t. This TE better be freakin Jermichael Finley. If this guys a bust it’ll show he really has no clue how to evaluate talent. He’ll be 0-6 at a position he’s supposed to know well. If he can’t pick a TE how are we supposed to trust him to select a much more complex position like QB. I hope ur right Whiz, cause your running out of chances with me.

69. By whizfanforlife on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Now everyone is acting like we know wth we are talking about. Cards coaching staff has put in the work only time will tell. If anyone has’nt noticed we have schofield who would have been a first rounder if he did not get hurt did anyone see him play the second half of the season?? There is no sure thing when you are doing this like I said before only time will tell. If you are truly a fan lets rally behind this team and embrace what they are doing we all want the brady’s and the rodgers and adrian petersons just give some time.

70. By wayne on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

DARREN,

I am shocked with Friday’s picks, in my opinion as a Cardinals fan the PETERSON pick does not look as good now, if we drafted a LB or OFF-Lineman the Peterson pick would of made some sense being he was rated as the safest pick in the draft, we could have drafted a TE and RB in the later
    rounds, there were still some good LB”s in the 3rd round, we really didn’t need any of the positions picked as much as we needed others.
    Watch us draft a kicker in the 4th round.

Who is making these picks? Graves, Coach Whiz?

71. By John the draft guy on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Drummer 1
    I cheer for the home team and had season tickets since 1993. I sat in the heat on cement bleachers rooting for this team. I watched as this team made terrible picks and let free agents go. But, according to you, I can’t question the coaches picks. Really?

To everyone thinking about trades
    Why do teams want to trade for Wells and Doucet? Palmer or Kolb for Wells/Doucet??? Maybe we can trade Stephan Williams for Lamarr Woodley too?? Guys, if we cut these guys, maybe someone picks them up, but unless its a 6th or 7th rounder, I don’t see trades for Wells and for sure, not Doucet.

72. By TucsonTim on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

I’m so happy to be paying for my multi-thousand dollar season tickets to see a new tight end playing for the Cards. Oh please let me spend a few more thousand dollars to see Max Hall trying to throw him the ball. No wait, maybe Skelton will step up, ha!. No QB = no future. Spin it any way you want. These are the cards of old. Stupid cheep owners making stupid cheep decisions.

Wait a minute!!! I just heard the cards are going after Bulger. Wow he was an OK QB when Akunamara was a great high school player. So my prediction is that Bulger will be a great high school QB for the cards. Season over, no QB, no hope.
    BTW, thanks toFitz for a great SB performance. Good luck with your next team.

73. By TucsonTim on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Right Darren,

Why not stick with Skelton and watch those stupid Patriots try to figure out how do deal with Mallet. Gret plan.

74. By TucsonTim on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

drummer-1

I will gladly sell my season tickets to you and sit in front of the TV. Reply if you are interested.

75. By John the draft guy on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Matt,
    Does anyone watch Kiper? I didn’t know he was still on TV. Try getting the NFL channel. It will help.
    The reason the “people you call experts” want these players such as Houston or Reed are because they fill our biggest need. OLB is a big need and obviously, these players are valued on other draft boards since they got drafted. ( i.e. Akeem Ayers was picked the next pick after cards choose Williams). So, the people asking for these players might be right.

BTW, I like Whiz and I am a fan, but he isn’t always right.. Lets look at his drafts 2009, Wells looks like a bust, Cody Brown -A bust, Johnson and Toler are back ups, Herman Johnson cut, His best pick was the Hyphen in the 7th. Not a steller draft.

76. By TucsonTim on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Army Andrew -

I’m sure that Grimm will talk to the O-line about blocking for our new RB. It’s all good. After his (Grimm’s) talk, he will saunter off to the golf course where he will text his son about what a great life it is to be a coach in the NFL

77. By TucsonTim on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

NJazCardsFan -

Best post by far and away. Luck in 2012! Go Cards

78. By TucsonTim on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Code -

Calm down, just think Luck in 2012. Then it starts to make sense.

79. By TucsonTim on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Cheese -

Please don’t cloud the issues with facts.

80. By TucsonTim on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Andy -

Do you think you are the only one seeing Whiz throw a player under the bus. Nice job whiz.

81. By cardfan6 on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

terrible pick, reminds you of kevin boss, kevin boss is a back up?

82. By TucsonTim on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

John Halsey -

When you look at the Cards needs and you look at the talent of the TE we just selected, you see a draft room full of morons… until you realize they are thinking alot more about contracts, profit margins and rookie contracts than they are about winning footall games

83. By Lone-Eagle on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

After reading a majority of the blogs, I really have not too much to say. I thought we hit a homerun in the first Rd with Peterson, but after that I don’t know what to think. This team needed to concentrate on DEFENSE!! Pass rusher!! Porter and Haggans are done!! The Steeler experiment failed, or should I say “former”!! We needed legit pass rushers and we got a runnunig back with the same issues as Wells, can’t stay healthy and a TE from Florida Atlantic????? From all reports I hear, he doesn’t block well!!?? How are we supposed to have a running game with a TE that can’t block??? From the looks of it, I am guessing the Cards are planning all needs through FA. One more thing. All reports point to Marc Bulger!! Really?? Lightning nevder strikes twice in the same place!! Warner was a special QB!! There will never be another!! Their are so many other choices out their, not Bulger! There is Orton from The Broncs, possibly Palmer from Cinn., Heck even McNabb from Washington or Hasselbeck, but not Bulger!! He will be a reincarnate of Anderson!! Sign Bulger and Fitz I believe will leave. Granted I would love to sign Kolb, but I think Philly is asking way too much for him. Good coaching if not excellent, but he is not proven! Now if there is a way to get Kolb without giving up the farm, go for it!!!

84. By TucsonTim on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Christo -

Grimm is going to coach up the O-line we have. Lots of Texts from the golf course, with explicit blocking schemes. His son will make sure that everyone understands.

85. By TucsonTim on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Mike -

Amen brother, and I would have glady only charged the Bidwills a half mill, transportation included to offer up the 2nd and 3rd.

86. By RescueJohnny571 on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Ummm today’s picks Are horrible. The faith in this front office is dwindling and I guarantee it will show in their ticket prices. Today’s picks has to go down as the worst in draft history righ next to Ryan Leaf first round bust of the chargers. Good job cards u truly need a new GM.

87. By John the draft guy on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Lets see how far off I can be for saturday.

4th Round-I would love to see the cards grab either Clint Boling or Marcus Cannon. Lets please add an offensive lineman.

5th Round- Greg Romeus, Please at least try to find an edge rusher since most are gone.

6th Round- Mark Herzlich, Could come in and give Lenon a challenge
    6th Round- Demarcus Love – more OL please

7th Round- Ricardo Lockette, at 6’2″ and 211 lbs with a 4.37 40, he may be worth developing at WR.

Just a thought

88. By whoknowsnothing on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

4th round pick: Casey Mathews LB Oregon

sounds nice to me!

89. By whoknowsnothing on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

2nd round pick should have been Ayers or Rudolph, but hopefully Williams proves us all wrong.

5th, 6th, and 7th round picks should be OL………thats where we need most of the help. Fix the line to protect the Franchise whenever he makes himself known.

I believe in Skelton and in Hall and that we will get Bulger via Free agency whenever it begins. He should have the Cardinals playbook by now, lol.

90. By cardsalltheway on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

I sure hope Rob Housler has a better playing career than Ken W. As long as Rob Housler catches more than 100 yards per season and catches more than 10 passes per season he should be well on his way to being a better Tight End than Ken W. Whiz FUMBLED two times during his NFL career and only had 5 TD’s in 7 years. His longest catch from scrimmage was 29 yards. I couldn’t find his college stats to see how many times he fumbled.
    Do you know how many times Ken W. fumbled at Georgia Tech?

91. By NNUTTHOWZE on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

EXCELLENT 1st round pick…. Peterson is a BEAST and now our secondary will be one of the best if not THE best in the league.

As for the 2nd round pick…. I thought we would go LB Akeem Ayers or TE Kyle Rudoplh…. but nope, we got a RB. I was kinda scratching my head until I remembered Hightowers contract is up. TIM HIGHTOWER IS GARBAGE!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully he’s gone and out of here.

3rd round pick…. hmmm I don’t know much about him but atleast he’s a need for our offense. Who knows he could turn out to be a great player.

THANK GOD we didn’t pick a QB in the first round…. anyone who thinks we should have taken a QB is retarded. Another rookie bust is not what this team needs. We need a vet that can give us a few good years until we find better options, and at the same time let Skelton watch and learn from it.

Palmer and Kolb would be excellent… but I’m a little iffy about Bulger (kinda seems like another DA to me).

Overall its been a pretty good draft…. wish we would have picked a linebacker though.

92. By NNUTTHOWZE on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Oh and what the Cardinals should have done to begin with was draft a young QB BEFORE Kurt Warner retired. The only QB that spend time with Warner on the field was Leinart, but we dropped him for Anderson. (Bad move)

But it is what it is. GO CARDINALS

93. By bluepitt on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

hahahahaha, All you guys are you finally seeing what I have seen this whole time? lol.. to funny! Throwing people under the bus! hahaha See: Leinart, Boldin, Hightower, Who is next? I find it funny how we had the 6th ranked Yards per carry backfield in the NFL, and we didn’t use them when we could not throw a 10yd slant to save our lives! Now he gets a Back that is better than Wells & Timmy? I don’t think so, We don’t scheme for our backs like all other NFL teams do, WHY? If Wells goes Whiz will regret it! The team he goes to will scheme to get him in the open field, just watch!

SF got one of the best QB’s in the draft, a little raw but a baller none the less. Mark my words! Just like in week 2 I called our 5 win season! In Denny’s Player Personnel judgment I trust, And in Whiz’s Coaching (not Play calling) I trust!

hahahahahahahaha Are we ready to see Leinart light t up next year! hahaha But Im a glutten for punishment, and did renew my season tick’s..lol One more year that I have to sit in my seat at UPS and hear people argue and tell me that Leinart is better than Warner ( 2006-2007) hahahahaha Well I got the last laugh on that one!

GOD BLESS!

Now you have to deal with 1,000 of me!!

94. By redseafan85 on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

TucsonTim-

You have more time on your hands for this blog than Darren Urban! You seem like you were once a loyal fan, but yet you want to sell your season tix and criticize…WHY are you still blogging? Give up like you seem to want to do!! GO CARDS!!!!

95. By drummer-1 on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

@Tucson Tim…

i’ll gladly buy your tickets, but you need to stop crying about every move the cards make or don’t make, thats something i know you can’t do…On a serious note lets see how this play out before we start bashing them, i’m baffled by the picks myself but it’s not the end of the world…

96. By dan on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Should have taken Mallett in the 3rd rd……….BIG mistake. As for the RB, either we are trading Wells for a QB or we just wasted a 2nd rd pick. Not pleased with this draft so far. We need pass rushers and dropped the ball by not taking Bowers or the dude from Arizona.

97. By Mark on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

When people say Housler reminds them of Kevin Boss that doesn’t excite me at all. Boss isn’t a great TE to me, better then what we have but still so-so. I do believe we have a need at TE but two things I don’t like is that I think we could have had Housler in the fourth round or later and our offense doesn’t even utilize the TE very much.

I’m a believer in Schofield but I thought it would be nice to have another young OLB to groom with our 3rd rd pick like Justin Houston or Martez Wilson. I thought we would go Ayers/Reed in the 2nd like most people but if the FO believes in Williams that much i’m fine with the pick. However, not addressing a more important need(with good players available)in the 3rd is leaving me frustrated.

I’m not sure if there’s any OL worth the 4th rd pick so here’s me hoping they go ILB/OLB and get a 4th rd steal.

P.S. A thought about the RB situation: maybe the cards look to deal LSH for his return abilities because Peterson can fill that role now. Would hate to see LSH go but it makes sense.

98. By cardsalltheway on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Ken W. on the skills of Rob Housler(TE), our newly drafted 3rd rounder… “Obviously blocking is one of the areas R. Housler needs to improve on but – IF – he can get that…he can be that…”
    Why wasn’t a player like Kyle Rudolph who can block chosen so there wouldn’t have been any “ IF’s ? ”
    Would you please ask Ken W. to take the “IF’s” out of the player skills equation if/when he gets a future chance to draft Cardinal 2nd and 3rd round draft picks?

99. By Christo on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

I see people trying to justify the Cards pick based on “our” (The Cardinals) draft board. When this is over they should release it.

We perhaps need to invest in some new scouting personell. The strength coach worked out, the standard has been set.

I honestly don’t know how this team can **** up drafting at the 5 slot.

100. By Richard on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

I was as surprised as anyone with our round 2 and 3 picks, but when you sit back and look at the draft, it isn’t so bad:
    Peterson – the best player in the draft.
    Williams – arguably the best running back in the draft, and whilst I like Beanie and Tim, what did our running game do last year?
    Housler – the least understandable, but he’s different from what we have now.

We all knew that the Cards weren’t going to draft a QB – there wasn’t anyone in the draft better than Skelton – and the choices undoubtedly do give us more offensive weapons.

Of course there are OL and DL issues, but there’s still plenty of draft time, free agency and trades to go through. I’ll suspend judgement until all that’s done.

101. By Canadian Red Bird on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Darren

I can’t understand foregoing Brooks Reed in favor of Williams, especially when we have 2 decent running backs; heck its Grimm’s porous O-line that is the problem. Then adding to the drafting debacle, overlooking Houston or Mallet and selecting a TE that could have been easily had in the 4th or 5th round. Heck, Todd Haley immediately trades up to pick Houston once our TE selection was made. Our Super Bowl run two years ago was engineered mainly by Haley and Warner, Whiz was in the back seat enjoying the ride rather than steering the car. Oh , just about forgot; Grimm was in the back seat with him. This Steeler mentality is starting to wear on a lot of Cardinal fans; hopefully Horton proves me wrong. I’m getting tired of Whiz’s humour in Cardinal press conferences. I know I’m not alone thinking that this is a shipwreck just waiting to happen.

After an impressive first round pick that had everyone glued to the screen, my interest has wained to the point that I’m heading to the golf course. I’ll read about the selections in the paper on Sunday. Can’t imagine the reaction at the Cardinal draft parties with Round 2 & 3.

What’s next for the Cardinal brain trust; maybe news that we’ve traded next years first round pick for unproven Kevin Kolb. YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I’m out of here.

102. By John the draft guy on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Everyone keeps saying we are trying to be the steelers. Why do you say that?

The steelers drafted Woodley a couple of years ago and then drafted another linebacker(ILB) in the 1st the next year and drafted 2 more OLBs last year. You see, they think getting to the QB is important. This year, they added to the defensive front with a very good DE in Haywood to go with Hood the got 2 years ago to have a nice future at DE. Funny, when was the last time they drafted a corner in the first? Hmm

Don’t see us drafting like the steelers at all.

103. By James Sancto (English Cardinal) on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Whatever people may say about taking a tight end at this position, the best offenses in the NFL have at least one tight end who is predominantly a receiver and a verticle threat: Green Bay (Jemichael Finley), New England (Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez), Indianapolis (Dallas Clark), San Diego (Antonio Gates) and New Orleans (Jimmy Graham).
    I understand that we have other needs, but Rob Housler enables the offense to create mismatches that can create big plays. Opposition defences will find it far more difficult to defend our passing game, when LBs and safetys have to match up with Housler. That will create big plays, which we all can agree we need more of.

104. By mike hadzinski on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

PLEASE STOP WITH THE A.LUCK NEXT YEAR I LIVE IN CLEVELAND AND LET ME TELL YOU THE GARBAGE BROWNS FANS ARE TALKING ABOUT GETTING LUCK THE BROWNS HAVE 2 NUMBER 1 DRAFT PICK THAT ENOUGH AMMO IF THEY WANT TO ALSO BARRETT RUDD WILL BE COMEING TO ARIZONA AND FIGHT AND GIVE DEPTH IN THE MIDDLE GO BYE GERALD HAYES

105. By John the draft guy on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Also, don’t want to pick on anyone, but again with trading our players?
    Lets make this clear, No One is trading anything of value for Wells,( a oft-injured, non-productive back) or LSH ( special teamer) or Doucet ( another injured non productive player) None of them will bring in a QB. Just for the record neither will Paris Lenon, Derek Anderson, or any other fringe player that you can think of.

Kolb will demand a 1st, Palmer will at least demand a 2nd, Orton, with the frenzy for QB’s, could demand a second. Would you give a second for Doucet, Wells, or LSH? I guess since we are in make believe, I hear Manning is FA, maybe we can sigh him :)

106. By dan on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Not moving up to get Dalton and then wasting the pick on a midget running back and then a te who can’t block for the midget. WOW. This team went to the Superbowl on the arm of Warner and some great receivers other than that this team will always lose until they get new ownership. Wiz just drafted himself out of a job in two years.

107. By dan on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Wait I figured it out, they plan to go 0-16 so they can draft Luck next year. That has to be it. No one is this stupid!

108. By D on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

okay–Round 4—–New day, let’s get some value—I would say Chris Carter OLB or Clint Bowling G……

109. By Westside Cards Fan on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

I’m happy to see the passion in people’s posts, but come friggen on! Come down from off the ledge and get a grip! How can you assume that because an OLB or a QB wasn’t picked in the first three rounds that Wiz is obtuse about those deficiencies? Have you not read or heard ANY interviews with him? He’s made it pretty clear that those weaknesses need to be addressed. The jury is still out on the O Line; when you have inferior or unproven QBs like the three we had last year, defenses relentlessly blitz. Tell me how an O-line is supposed to hold throughout a game like that, which is exacerbated by Weenie Swells continually missing his assignments?

Keep in mind the team is NOT in rebuild mode, but just needs to fill certain positions. Rookies need a few years before they catch up to speed. Maybe Wiz is seeking players through trade and the FA or, just for the sake of these whiners’ argument, maybe not. BUT UNTIL SUCH TIME, how in the world can you already draw your conclusions about what the Cards are trying to do?

110. By cardsalltheway on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Butch Davis,
    He’s doing the draft today – NFL online – I golfed with him for 9 holes about 17 years ago when he was the Cowboys defensive coordinator. He was a single player and I got put with him. I remember out driving him on one hole and getting closer to the green than him on other shorter holes.
    Don’t expect the Cardinals, Ken W. to pick a linebacker or offensive lineman in the 4th round.

111. By Mark on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

With the One Hundred and third pick in the 2011 NFL draft, the Arizona Cardinals select Kicker Gilligan from Gilligan’s Island.

We took Tight end Doogie Housler in the third.

Whiz, Graves WTF? Sounds like to much medical marijuana to me the second day. I just dont get it.

112. By cactus jeff on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Everyone,
    Schofield would have been the 2nd best OLB in this years draft.
    Peterson is the best defensive player/db in this years draft.
    Willams is the 2nd best RB in this years draft.
    We have a TE that can run and catch!

The Cardinals just got a lot better

113. By Bucky on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

I am in awe listening to the brillance of all these so called armchair experts who have insight and wisdom not found in the people who do this 365 days a year for a living. All of the moaners and groaners should be forced to reread their posts a year from now.

114. By Christo on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Bucky I guarantee you that there are people out there who could do my job better than me. Why be surprised that there may be people here who can draft better than our FO? Seriously. There is info available all over the place. Graves can’t write contracts to save his life.

115. By drummer-1 on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

@cardsalltheway…

I read your post, Looks to me like the cardinals drafted a linebacker in the 4th rd…Isn’t it great being a negative person.

some fans go the negative route so if something don’t go right they can say i told you so.. It’s always nice to wait and see how things play out..

116. By Chuck 1 on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

From a post on an earlier thread:

By E.Smith on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

These players are being picked by a team of long-time football professionals. They are far more experienced than any of us will ever be. Let’s give them the benefit of the doubt that they know what they are doing and, certainly know more than we do. That doesn’t mean they are infallible, but they are far less fallible than us.

Memo to E. Smith (and any other fans who are pleased with the players drafted):
    How did the “team of long-time professionals” do in 2010?
    They gave the organization DA, Faneca and Joey to name just three.
    And, a record of 5-11.
    Don’t expect the organization (specifically the Bidwills) to run out and sign top tier FAs to fill the gaping holes at O-Line and LB. They don’t have a track record of doing that.

117. By Mr.Owl on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

118. By Eazy E on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

I like D.J. williams who went to the packers in the 5th round better but he has some measurables, hope he can contribute. I hope we still attack the TE position in free agency because zach miller from oakland and bo scaife from tennessee are unrestricted free agents.

119. By Scott H on May 3, 2011 | Reply

A tight end??? Really??? You mean, this team may actually consider utilizing a TE in their offense??? ‘Bout friggin’ time, man. If this guy could put up 39 catches, 629 yards, and 4 TD’s from the TE position for THIS team, it would be AMAAAAAAAAZING! It would be like having an All-Pro TE compared to what we’ve gotten out of this position in recent years. Again, I can only hope this means we will be seeing a different offensive approach than we saw last year. Derek Anderson was just God awful, period, and nothing was going to save us from that. But even with a much better QB, we STILL need to be running the ball more and getting the TE involved. If this pick is an indication that we are heading in that direction, then I like it.

120. By Mario on May 10, 2011 | Reply

Housler is going to be awesome. What..does anyone on this blog watch up and coming players or do they just pick up USA today and think they know it all by reading a few captions. It’s easy to see why they didn’t select Brooks, Ayers…they weren’t BPA. In the 3rd, Moch was gone, Justin Houston couldn’t pass a standing drug test, I doubt he’ll be able to pass randoms in the nfl. Martez Wilson had medical issues. It’s a solid draft.