Cards go DE with other sixth-rounder

Posted by Darren Urban on April 30, 2011 – 1:34 pm

With their second sixth-round pick, the Cards took UCLA defensive end David Carter (6-4, 297) who had 3.5 sacks last season. He played nose tackle last season for the Bruins, but he will be a developmental defensive end in the 3-4 for the Cards. He went 10 picks after brother Chris, who was taken by the Steelers, setting off a huge celebration at the Carter household.

“This is crazy,” David Carter said. “I’ve never cried so hard in my life. I was crying for my brother because I know how hard he worked and I thought I was all cried out. Then I got picked. I thought, ‘Dang, I’m going to be dehydrated.’ “

Carter said he thinks the two DE positions in the 3-4 are his natural spots. He did take a visit to Arizona before the draft, and said he thought all along either the Raiders or Cards would pick him. Now he will vie for a spot backing up Darnell Dockett and Calais Campbell, important with Alan Branch and Kenny Iwebema with expiring contracts. Ken Whisenhunt likes his versatility to eventually be part of the d-line rotation. “With a guy like him, he’s really what scouting is all about,” Whisenhunt said of finding Carter.

Tags: ,

36 Responses to “Cards go DE with other sixth-rounder”

1. By keko jones on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

I like this Draft from top to bottom!!! Draft a backup strong Safety in round 7..

2. By John the draft guy on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Good pick for depth. He at least has the messurables of a 3-4 DE. With smaller fast ILBs like Washington and now Sturdivant, we need more size at DE.

I really think we need to resign Branch. I think he played well at DE last year and give us size.

BTW guys, once again I heard the Bengals consider Palmer retired and the have no plans to trade him. Casserley said he would be willing to give up a 1st round pick next year for him. Interesting, But no one thinks he will be traded.

3. By Adam on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Great draft! Now go get bulger and a couple olinemen in fa and were lookin good. Anyone who says anything bad about us taking ryan williams in the 2nd obviously has never seen this guy play. And remember we were last in rushin offense last year, so I love willams and sherman as a fb.

4. By cardsalltheway on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

OFFENSIVE LINEMEN?
    Which brings us to the 46th pick of the 7th round…………., the last Cardinals pick for 2011 is ………… Ryan Donahue – Punter.

5. By judd youngman on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

REALLY whiz…..fullback in 5th now a dlineman NO one else was going to draft. nice…..the point of the draft is to improve your team. Neither of these players were going to be taken. A huge waste of 2 spots. A fullback come on.

6. By JoeVero on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Any idea what number Patrick Peterson will take (so I can order my custom jersey)? And I’ve been hearing that Patrick Peterson will be used as trade bait for Kevin Kolb. Do you see any chance of that?

7. By AndyStandsUp on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Ambivalent towards Carter.
    Once again, doesn’t point to team needs, but could provide backup if Branch isn’t re-signed.
    Any chance of a OL being selected in the 7th? You know, one of the Cards biggest needs?

8. By Darren Urban on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

JoeVero —

RE: PP

He wants to wear 21 but that is not in concrete. I’d wait. And he’s not being traded.

9. By Phoenixraven1 on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Who do you see Cards most likely to keep Branch or Iwebema?

10. By Brian on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

lol p2 is not getting traded for kolb hahaha thats soo stupid…p2 and drc are our lock down corners for a while…upset with the fullback pick..should of went o-line there but oh well…FA hopfully will bring us some linemen…and get kolb whiz…grow some and trade our first rounder and a third rounder next year to get our franchise guy in kolb!

11. By Deon on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

I love you ARM chair GM’s and your not so well thought out remarks!!!

12. By John the draft guy on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

With Stephen Williams and Max Komar, along with Hall, being Undrafted Free Agents, How disappointed is Coach Whiz about not being able to sign anyone after the draft at this point (of course that could change in a day or two).
    Have you had that conversation with him?

Also, what are the chances Duece returns to the team? Do you have any idea of OL the Cards might target in FA if it ever happens?

13. By B on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Is Alan Branch going to e a Card next year?

14. By Darren Urban on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Phoenixraven1 —

RE: Branch/Iwebema

Don’t know if it is an either/or thing.

15. By Darren Urban on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

B —

RE: Branch

I do not know that yet.

16. By Darren Urban on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

John the draft guy —

RE: Situation

I haven’t had the conversation specifically, but the fact the offseason has been messed up does not thrill him, nor would it for any coach — whether we are talking FA, players working out, anything.

As for Deuce, until I know what the rules are for FA, that’s impossible to know.

17. By anothercardsfan on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Interesting second pick. Beanie to Cincy for Carson Palmer?!?

18. By Peter in Canada on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

For a while now I have been hearing how bad the Oline is. Funny thing Is when Warner was here with much the same personel we never heard much of that kind of talk. I think the defence last year was stacked against the run daring us to throw and the QB’s were not good enough to take advantage. The coaching staff based upon the draft either (a) doesn’t think the Oline is that bad or (b) doesn’t feel the draft is where the Oline can be best improved. Your thoughts on this Darren?

19. By Mike on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

This was a very disapointing draft for the Cards I think. 2 running backs?? Are you serious! Where is is QB we need? D-line needed help. Did we get any? NO! What were these guys thinking in the Draft room??? The good pick out of this draft was Peterson. The rest was a complete waist! Grade F!

20. By Darren Urban on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Peter in Canada —

RE: Oline

I do think they want to upgrade or find pieces. I think free agency will play a role in that.

21. By Kurt on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

I wonder if Russ has his eye on Carter for OL down the road

22. By Chuckwing24 on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

+1 Beanie for Carson

23. By Ken Cadena on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

I cannot believe we didnt draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd. we should of drafted GABBOT. 2 running backs, common. Whiz must think Mark Bulger whose best record was 9 wins is going to save us. Darren even you could of picked better. I think im going to throw up!

24. By cardsalltheway on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

R. Graves said…“Again,” general manager Rod Graves said, “we are allowing our (draft) board to dictate the selections.”
    That cannot be true with Ryan Williams(RB) since that decision(“Promise Kept”) was made before the warp room’s “draft board.”
    The offensive line will have to overcome its coaching, actually that goes for the rest of the players as well, the TE and RB’s also come to mind.
    Oh, and Demarco Sampson(G/C) was the 7th round pick.

25. By Nick Pepe on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

@Mike, and everyone else screaming for a QB in this draft:

They had 2 rookie QB’s on the roster last year. Both of which I think will be back and one of which I think is our future. I thought the hints were in the air for some time that they had no intention of bringing in another rookie QB. Our QB and tutor for the future QB’s will come thru FA or a trade.
    I still think there is a method to their madness and trust.

If I were Tim Hightower I would be a little concerned.

Again, you can’t say it was a bust of a draft or a blast of a draft for a couple of years…..but I do like the fact that we added a couple of play makers on both sides of the ball….and special teams for that matter.

Nick Pepe

26. By Darren Urban on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

cardsalltheway —

RE: Williams

Well, Whisenhunt and Graves, if you noticed, said they didn’t think it went down that way. http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/For-Williams-A-Promise-Kept/fdfdddab-8315-48f6-b79d-24c6bbe4d2c6

Regardless, I know you won’t pass up a chance to point out the negative.

27. By Eazy E on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

I think we should keep both branch and iwebema and keep that excellent d-line depth together. We need to go after pass rushing lb in free agency still, hopefully a top notch one along with TE among a couple other positions. I love our draft though. I love to hear graves say were going to be aggressive in free agency, but we’ll see. Cardinals ”aggressive” and another team’s ”aggressive” is different LOL!!!

28. By Eazy E on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

We were 32nd in rushing for a number of reasons:
    1- Horrible QB play, so teams stacked 8 and 9 in the box and dared our QBs to beat them which they consistently didn’t.
    2- 2 Rookie Qbs 5th round pick and Undrafted
    3- Beanie injury plagued
    4- Down in most games by too many points
    5- 5th round and Undrafted rookie QBs again, DA who I liked when we signed him, but is too inaccurate and couldn’t bring that magic back and what is that saying ” can’t hit the broadside of a barnyard”, and bartel got signed late and probably did better than all of them in san fran and seem like the whole season, at least he threw it to fitz.
    6- Very up and down offensive line play pass protecting and run blocking.

There you go! 32nd in rushing!!!

29. By Jeff on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Please dont waste our 1st round pick next year for kolb. Id rather draft someone out of next years or trade for matt flynn. I dont see it in kolb, all hes good at is throwing incomplete passes and getting either himself or his teamates concussed lol

30. By CT on May 1, 2011 | Reply

In all reality who do u think will be taking snaps from under center for the cards this year? If we get a FA QB that can take us somewhere than i love the cards draft this year and cant wait for the season to start!!!!!!! If we do not pick up a good FA QB then IDK what to say but $%T^&&^%$$!!!!!

31. By CT on May 1, 2011 | Reply

I AGREE!!!! KOLB IS IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM WORTH THE VALUE OF PATRICK PETERSON!!!!! PAT P WILL BE A STUD FOR MANY YEARS.
    KOLB WILL BE A DUD AND THATS MY FEARS…..

32. By cardsalltheway on May 1, 2011 | Reply

IMO when you RE “Williams” either a first name or initial should be included since we have 4 of them on our roster.
    Now, about Ryan Williams. Am I “negative” because I choose to believe what he said over Graves and/or Ken W.? I would like to know what Graves meant by “That’d be highly risky,” Graves said with a chuckle.”
    Just what exactly would be risky? I believe that type of “Promise Kept” has been made before by peeps/scouts/whoever in the NFL. I can hear it and see it being said at least in an off-the-cuff way. What scout, coach, etc…wouldn’t want to make himself look powerful, actually I’m sure enough of them think of themselves as powerful anyway. At the same time they can’t all bright enough to know not to say such things even if it is in an off-the-cuff way when nobody is looking over their shoulder. Rules are made to be broken, weren’t there 6 NFL teams already fined for breaking rules this off-season?

33. By cardsalltheway on May 1, 2011 | Reply

Wow, I hope Ryan Williams isn’t already in Graves and Ken W.’s doghouse? Striiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiike one, but he didn’t swing.

34. By Darren Urban on May 1, 2011 | Reply

cardsalltheway —

RE: Negative

I was strictly speaking in an overall concept for you.

As far as it being said in an off-the-cuff way, I agree with you — that certainly could have happened, especially if it wasn’t made by Whiz or Graves. But, if it happened that way, then your criticism of how it went down isn’t valid, because it wouldn’t have carried enough weight to trump the draft board, which is what you said happened.

P.S. You’re right on the Williams comments. I get going so fast I forget there are so many floating around. I will make sure to initialize the name going forward.

35. By chuckwing24 on May 1, 2011 | Reply

RE: eazy e

Why don’t u ask steven jackson, adrian peterson, chris johnson, and mjd why their teams weren’t ranked last in the league even though they faced 8 in the box every single game.

When we have running backs who can’t run, and can’t hold onto the football, we have no shot at winning

2. Apr 30, 2011: Word From the Birds BlogDraft aftermath and the seventh-rounder «