Draft aftermath and the seventh-rounder

Posted by Darren Urban on April 30, 2011 – 7:15 pm

So the Cards finish up not with Mr. Irrelevant but close (five choices came after the Cardinals’ final pick) in San Diego State wide receiver DeMarco Sampson. Sampson is a big guy (6-foot-2, 204), with some speed (Whisenhunt said he ran a 4.41 this offseason) and a chance to add to the position that has some uncertainty in terms of contracts.

Otherwise, here are some other last thoughts after the last day:

– The wait for undrafted rookies now must wait – usually, the land rush to those guys has already started – until the current labor limbo is fixed. “We are going through our process of preparing to sign our (rookie) free agents like we normally would, except we’re not putting that plan into action until we’re allowed to do so,” GM Rod Graves said. “We’re taking it right up to the final step in the process.”

Coach Ken Whisenhunt said the Cards are attractive to UDFAs for a couple of reasons. He said the Cards actually pay decent signing bonuses for such things, which obviously grabs attention of players. More importantly, the Cards have shown they will keep UDFAs on the roster, and ultimately, that’s what those guys want.

– No offensive linemen drafted (for a second draft in a row), but I will guess there will be a couple or three undrafted rookies and some aggressiveness in free agency. Whenever that is.

– There will be plenty of time to assess what the picks mean for guys already on the roster at those positions (running back, for one). But the selection of a pass rusher not until the fourth round not only says something about who was on the board, it says something about O’Brien Schofield, the 2010 fourth-round pick who would have been higher if not for a postseason knee injury.

“It’s very, very difficult what he did, to not have played a snap (coming off knee surgery), come in and practice for a couple of weeks and then be playing,” Whisenhunt said. “(It) means he had to put a lot of time and effort into preparing. That’s what we really think is going to give him a chance.

– Inside linebacker Quan Sturdivant wears No. 52 in honor of a couple of his heroes, Ravens LB Ray Lewis and Panthers LB Jon Beason. Beason, Sturdivant said, was his model. “He’s not that big. He’s fast, instinctive, strong and makes plays, so I kind of like his game.”

– Speaking of uniform numbers, Sturdivant I’m sure wants 52, but right now, that is owned by LB Cyril Obiozor. I know new cornerback Patrick Peterson wants No. 21. But be cautioned (for anyone wanting to run out and buy jerseys), numbers aren’t in concrete yet. Veterans usually get first dibs and until there is a free-agency process at some point, uniform numbers will remain fluid.

– No quarterback, no real surprise, quite frankly. Just never got the sense the whole draft run-up they’d be looking in that direction.

–Defensive end David Carter may have been “all cried out” after an emotional day, but he sounded just fine on his conference call. So in the end, call-wise, he still can’t hold a candle to the Hyphen.

And finally …

– Whisenhunt broke out some draft humor after the team took linebacker Sam Acho from Texas.

“We’re going to make a request from the league he can wear No. 5 so we’ll have an Acho Cinco on our team,” Whisenhunt deadpanned.

Graves wasn’t going to let that go. “I wasn’t a part of that,” Graves said.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

91 Responses to “Draft aftermath and the seventh-rounder”

1. By Don't Take Losses on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Hey, great job. Cards it seem have become a top tier team, at least in approach to draft. Make a board and stick to it…bravo. And we needed every position drafted. We just need more than that. Graves comments about being aggressive in free agency echo Mike B’s letter to season ticket holders. He wants back the promised land…

2. By Don't Take Losses on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

PS: Intrigue behind every pick.

3. By Mario8267 on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

With the stats Sampson had at SDSU, why did he fall so far in the draft? He averaged like 18 ypc and had 1200 yards receiving!!

4. By Brian on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Watched the entire draft, as usual. As usual, remain optimistic on the Cards picks. I was shocked at the pick of a RB, but I think that says a lot about Wells and how our coach feels about his play. One criticism of Wells in the months leading to the draft was that he “took it easy” and “didn’t risk injury”. I guess I wrote that off because what top RB wants to lose millions getting injured in one of his last college games. But he never put the foot fully back on the gas pedal.

Contrast Wells to Peyton Hillis. That man just came out in an interview and stated that he players different from other RBs, who are primarily concerned about the longevity of their career, and instead would rather have 1-3 years burning bright than many more playing half-hearted. I’ve been Wells biggest fan, but I think it was abundantly clear what Coach and the team feel about his level of effort.

Wells hasn’t played Steelers RB. So they went back to the well.

We’ll see how that plays out.

I couldn’t help but feel, after Round 3, how the Cardinals would have looked if they drafted Peterson with Round 1, D’Quan Bowers with Round 2, and Mallet with Round 3. Seriously… how amazing would the value of been. And it would have given us some really awesome weapons for the team.

5. By Phoenixraven1 on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

What a great draft, for the first time I really felt like wiz/graves n company really took BPA. Im still waiting to see what happens at this RB spot and I think they have something up their sleeve (ie Denver needs a RB badly…cough…um …Orton)!!! Lol! Now if the owners could just quit playing games and open FA!

6. By Mark on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Great draft. B . I just hope we get Kolb or Bulger and some o-line help for our new QB, whoever that is and our new RB.

7. By Sackman on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

I think the Cardinals finish good in the draft, the middle rounds were a lillte shakey. I am very glad they did not get a QB in the draft. This is the way I see it, we need starters now, and to me there where no starters for the QB position. Also not knowing which of our OL is going to stay, I think free agency is where we need to get starting/impact players to help NOW. If all we have left to get is a free agent QB and maybe a couple of good OL, then I think we did good in the draft. I only pray that the Bidwills open up the pocketbooks. We all want Larry to stay. Pay top dollar for QB and 2 OL. (3 players thats all).
    Go CARDS!!!!

8. By BOTT711 on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Was injured (foot) first two years at SDSU. Has worked hard to play in the NFL. Could be a surprise for the Cardinals. Also, will be 26 in December. The result of medical redshirts (injuries first two yrs at SDSU).

9. By John the draft guy on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Now that it is done, here is my humble opinion.

1st Round- Patrick Peterson, CB – Although I would have traded down with the Falcons, I see what intrigues the Cards. He can be our version of Charles Woodson. I wonder if Horton will play a lot more man and come with heat now we have him and DRC. I can see A-Dub having one of those 6-8 sack seasons and terrorizing QB’s. If it works, it will be a great pick.

2nd round- Ryan Williams, RB – This pick I have questions about. Kyle Rudolph, Akeem Ayers, Justin Houston, Brooks Reed were all on the board. I don’t see Williams rated higher. With that being said, He is a big play guy and the cards needed to upgrade their backs and he will push Beanie for playing time. Now if he can stay healthy, this guy could give the cards a true RB we haven’t had since………… Adrian Murrell??

3rd Round- Robert Housler, TE- Can’t say I saw him play. I read he has 4.46 speed to get down the middle of the field (ala Vernon Davis). I also hear he cant block. But Neither can Aaron Hernandez.. This could be a very interesting pick.

4th Round- Sam Acho, OLB- well anyone from Texas is a good pick. Acho took over for Orakpo and had a couple of nice years. He produced in college and will be put in position to get after the QB in a rotation with Porter (my guess).

5th round- Anthony Sherman, FB- a fifth round pick for a fullback tells me the cards must be high on him. What I read is he is not quick to the hole and wont be a good blocker at NFL level. I don’t see where he is a receiver at all either. Not sold on this pick.

6th round (1)- Quan Sturdivant, ILB – another small fast inside LB. He was troubled with injuries all year but he could be a nice pick up. He will have a chance to compete as a backup behind Lenon and Washington- unless the cards grab say Barrett Ruud.

6th round (2)- David Carter, DE- In a 3-4 defense I like big DL who keep blockers off the playmakers (LB’s). This guy fits the bill physically. We will see if he can actually do it on the field.

7th Round-Demarco Sampson, WR- I love the cards to take a chance with late round picks. Sampson is big, fast and productive. If he can make the team, he may develop into a player. Making the team is his first hurdle.

Overall, this draft will be judged in 3 years by whether Peterson fails at corner and become a safety or if he turns into the next Woodson and forms one of the best CB tandems. Also, if Williams produces or not. I think the draft also showed faith in Skelton. Finally, which 3rd day player steps up to be a starter.
    Can’t wait for Free Agency- I have a lot of questions regarding this OL.

10. By Khards on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

wow i never listened to the hyphen’s conference call, it’s so emotional! I’m so happy for him.

11. By John the draft guy on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

I know players aren’t around but have you seen O’Brian Schoefield? Just wondering if he is bigger than 230 this year? I was reading about his college career again. His tackles for loss were very impressive and having 12 sacks his senior year could make him our passrushing answer. He did finish with a sack in each of the last two games. Do you see him lining up on the blind side or over the tight end? Hope this guy is about 245 and ready to roll.

12. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Great draft for you Darren! The info was detailed and came quickly. Very nice draft vignettes incorporating player footage/photos with the coaching staff pressers. Kudos to your team!

13. By Jon L on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Overall I think the cards had pretty good draft. They got some very talented college players that we all hope will make great Pros. Which player do you think has the most pressure on him to succeed early?

14. By Darren Urban on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

John the draft guy —

RE: Schofield

OB was actually bigger than that at the end of the season: http://blog.azcardinals.com/2010/12/03/friday-before-the-rams-3/

I think if he keeps coming along he is in line to start at ROLB, barring some FA signing.

15. By Darren Urban on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Jon L —

RE: Pressure

Given the reactions of the weekend, I’d think Ryan Williams, wouldn’t you?

16. By VicDiaz89 on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

DeMarco Sampson went so low because hes already 25 years old and “injury prone” aka a one contract guy,has great potential if he can stay healthy,he reminds me of a poor mans andre johnson!!!!!Im still a bit nervous for the QB situation,i beleived in skelton but this lockout will undoubtedly be a huge setback in his development along with other 2011 cardinals prospects.

17. By cardsalltheway on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Great Draft for the Coaches,
    Horton doesn’t have to work too hard doing his job since we drafted the best DB, Grimm doesn’t have to work too hard doing his job since we didn’t draft anybody for him.
    And Ken W. doesn’t have to work too hard on the art of or deceptive part of play-calling b/c the other teams will know our next move – when Rob Housler is in the game(PASS), Stephen Spach(RUN). We could’ve drafted Kyle Rudolph, had we done so Ken W. would’ve had to perfect the art of play-calling and gain support and confidence of players in his play-calling. It’s Tee-Time!

18. By VicDiaz89 on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

I think the cards got away with one by snatching up sam and quan in those late rounds,I’d expect for the cards defense to be ranked somewhere between 5 and 10 overall this season if all goes well.

19. By 85301FAN on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

RYAN WILLIAMS WILL B THE NEXT BIG THING HE RUNS HARD AND LOW TRUST ME HE REMIND ME OF BARRY SANDERS LAUGH NOW LOOK AT HIS TAPE IF U KNOW FOOTBALL HE HAS A QUICK STEP TO GO RIGHT LEFT NORTH OR SOUTH LOOK AT THE TAPE MAN I WAS SHOCK ITILL I LOOK AT THE TAPE I WAS WONDERING THE SAME THING BUT I KNOW FOOTBALL THIS KID LOOKS REALY GOOD YOUTUBE HIM LOOK AT HIS QUICK STEP TO GO EAST WEST AND SOUTH OR NORTH WOW GOOD PICK WIZZZZZZ

20. By Matt on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Do you see the Cards trying to trade Beanie for say a qb or THT not returning I can’t see them keeping all three what do you think?

21. By AndyStandsUp on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

To me, a very disappointing draft. Not the way I want to think of the Cards going into what could be a long off season.

22. By Blake on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Darren: With the Cardinals having Peterson now, and after the year D.R.C. just had where he did not live up to expectations, do you see the Cardinals involving him in some sort of deal to Philly for Kevin Kolb? Personally, I don’t want DRC to go even though the Cards need a QB and I don’t see him going anytime soon with both him and PP7 as duel threat corners. Any thougths?

23. By Skiptim on May 1, 2011 | Reply

Darren –

Did I hear you laughing a little in the background of the David Carter conference call because he kept going on and on? It sounded a little awkward, but he made me smile. He sounds like a good dude.

24. By Yazman on May 1, 2011 | Reply

There are a few picks I disagree with, but Ryan Williams is a blessing!! I believe he is a wonderful pick. Where do I go to order his jersey? Ryan if you are reading this, WELCOME to the Desert!!! This is a draft steal in my mind and all Cardinal fans please give him a chance!!!!!!! Sorry Beanie, but Ryan Williams is a TRUE BLESSING!!!!!!!!!! I am so excited!!!!!!

25. By ross on May 1, 2011 | Reply

Darren, can you see a situation where beanie, tim, ryan, and hyphen are all on this team and active for game 1? If so, they are going to be forced to run the ball, eh?

26. By ross on May 1, 2011 | Reply

And by the way, being a virginian, I saw williams every game in college. That kid is great. He won’t have any problems in the league if he can stay healthy and learn protections (you hear that beanie??).

27. By Tyrelle on May 1, 2011 | Reply

Will we resign Breaston?

28. By Darren Urban on May 1, 2011 | Reply

Matt —

RE: RB trade

As of right now, I don’t expect any of the backs to be traded.

29. By Darren Urban on May 1, 2011 | Reply

Blake —

RE: DRC

I don’t see him being traded, no.

30. By Darren Urban on May 1, 2011 | Reply

Skiptim —

RE: Carter call

He was definitely pumping with adrenaline while talking with us.

31. By Darren Urban on May 1, 2011 | Reply

Ross —

RE: RBs

I definitely see a situation where all are active, just like this year when they had Jason Wright instead of Williams.

32. By Darren Urban on May 1, 2011 | Reply

Tyrelle —

RE: Breaston

A question better served for Steve right now. I’d guess, at this point, 50-50.

33. By carlo7000 on May 1, 2011 | Reply

85301FAN
    are you darnell dockett???

34. By Peter in Canada on May 1, 2011 | Reply

I am very optimistic about the draft because it seems they went best available.
    To the perpetual critics I would ask them how much film they’ve seen on the players that were drafted. Youtube just doesn’t cut it. I was surprised about drafting a fullback but if the guy is a beast it is a great choice to get the run game going ie Moose Johnson. Afullback is a very important but under rated component of the offence. I was not impressed with the guy last year as a blocker or pass catcher. I am happy they didn’t give in to fan pressure and take a QB if they don’t see him as a big upgrade on Skelton, we don’t need another Leinart.

35. By smack28 on May 1, 2011 | Reply

Darren:

I was definitely one that questioned the Williams pick. However, Williams could potentially be the most explosive RB of this draft. He has an anger in his running style that this team desperately needs. On top of that, he is quicker and more elusive than our current backs. I would love to see him paired with Tim Hightower. The questions is will the Cardinals even re-sign Hightower now? These two in the backfield with Hyphen playing some third downs makes the most sense.

I don’t know about you, but I am tired of hearing how good Beanie is going to be. I am not buying it any more, and it seems like the leaders of this organization are not buying it either.

As for the people questioning the Anthony Sherman pick, let’s see what happens. His biggest attribute needs to be special teams as he learns his role on the offense and builds his strength with Lott. If he can make contributions on special teams early, he could eventually be a nice pick up near the goal line and on third and short yardage. Again, only time will tell, but good FBs are never a guarantee and even harder to find.

All and all, I think I get the message of this draft. The Cardinals are recommitting to running the football. That seems like a good strategy considering the lack of a starting QB on the roster, the delay with FA, and the labor uncertainty going into the summer months.

36. By aussie cards fan on May 1, 2011 | Reply

I am totally on board with selecting best available. This team has been burned too many times selecting for need – thomas jones, Leinart, leonard davis, etc etc… whiz clearly wishes he’d picked AP over Levi too. I like the plan to get a veteran QB and develop skelton. i’m nervous about the O-line but trust grimm to find a good FA or two and train them up. if this lockout goes on for many more months this is pretty much going to be a lost season anyway. teams at the top with lots of returning players will have such an advantage…none of these rookies will get the off season practce they need. note that cards selected smart self-starters and/or positions that can pick up and be successful quicker – rb, fb, wr, te. good news for us – the whole nfc west is rebuilding we are all in the same boat.

37. By Brad ONeill on May 1, 2011 | Reply

Any time you get the number one corner and the number 2 running back you have to be pleased with the draft. Especially when the number one corner was far and away above the number 2.

As for ken whisenhunts joke, humor is an indicator of intelligence, now im worried. :).

I think the draft is definitely an indicator of how happy they are with Schofield and it also hints that Porter may be willing to stay around for a lesser salary.

This Draft also told me that Max Hall isn’t done yet. Yes he will be on the bubble but had they picked up Dalton or Mallet he would be gone.

I still think the running back pick is an indicator that they have a trade in mind with either the Eagles or Denver for Kolb or Orton.

I wonder if our team may be good enough to win with Derrick Anderson? If he can eliminate the lock on get the receivers killed play he may just be ok. alright alright alright I know, I just hate to see a hard working guy that wants to succeed not make it.

38. By CJ Perry on May 1, 2011 | Reply

I like our 1st round pick but I’m hesitant about the 2nd round. I know our running play has been hit or miss but the position is loaded. Should be interesting to see. On the other hand, if we can make some decent ground movement, then that should free up our passing game… as long as we can get a quarterback.

39. By georgiebird on May 1, 2011 | Reply

Aside from the QB issue, Cards had a real good draft- on paper.
    Problem as I see it during the Whiz’ years- Can draft choices be molded into all-pro caliber players. Many of the draft choices have become “nice” players headed up by LSH and Steve Breaston. While there are many incompletes like DRC and CC, it’s time for the draftees to get to the next level.
    The defense looks like it can be the most athletic the Cardinals have ever had. Hopefully, the offense can do its part and stay on the field a while- whether being run by McNabb, Bulger or Big Red Skelton.

40. By Billy Thomas on May 1, 2011 | Reply

I think Coach Whisenhunt showed a ton of faith in John Skelton through this draft. I mean, I still think he wants a veteran to come in and start with Skelton in the background, but to not even grab another choice at QB is saying something. I would’ve liked to have grabbed Greg McElroy in the 6th or 7th, since I think he could be a great value pick, and he’s willing to learn (and is amazingly intelligent too), but overall I’m satisfied, until we get our veteran QB in hopefully Marc Bulger or Matt Hasselbeck. No reason to spend draft choices unless I’ve got a shot at Carson Palmer.

41. By rob hiebert on May 1, 2011 | Reply

I really hope you can find someone to throw to are team not the other team..

42. By Andrew on May 1, 2011 | Reply

Darren, this is of course all speculation but what do you think Whiz meant when he kept talking about being “aggressive” in free agency?

I don’t count signing Bulger as being aggressive, I count that more as the most obvious and easiest move to achieve. Do you think the Cardinals will make a serious play to get Kevin Kolb or some other younger QB that will not just be a stop gap QB like Bulger?

43. By cahongisto on May 1, 2011 | Reply

Darren:

Alright overall I am happy with the draft we had but I am disappointed in one thing… no one selected Mark Herzlich … The guy survives bone cancer puts in more work to fight a disease and get back to a level worthy of being drafted and the NFL looks at him says that is not good enough and doesn’t draft him… I don’t know if I will actually watch this season now unless he makes a team because of the message that a move like this says for the league! I mean guys with giant character red flags get drafted and get to live their dreams while a guy who already thought his dreams were going to die due to a potentially fatal disease gets to sit at home and watch and now have to play the waiting game to see if a team will even sign him… It is a sad and distasteful move darren and I know your involved in the league and work for the cardinals so you’ll have a reason to justify this kind of behavior but if there was ever a guy who deserved to be picked and given a shot to make a team its him plain and simple man

44. By ross on May 1, 2011 | Reply

Darren, many thanks for all the blog posts and taking time to answer so many fans. You are a class act my friend. Its great to feel someone is listening to the armchair gm in all of us.

45. By Richard S. on May 1, 2011 | Reply

Just a suggestion to improve the website. I told my son a Dolfin fan that I couldn’t hear the reporters questions to Whiz, so I had no idea what the answer was even talking about. My son said the Dolfins solved that problem by typing in below the news conference what was being said.

Also my one question for Darren – What are the chances of the Cardinals trading an undrafted free agent for Carson Palmer? I think that would be a good deal.

46. By chuckwing24 on May 1, 2011 | Reply

RE: 85301FAN

I agree, I think he’s gonna be a guaranteed pro bowler

47. By Kurt on May 1, 2011 | Reply

Darren – Nice draft coverage

48. By clssylssy on May 1, 2011 | Reply

I have TOTAL CONFIDENCE in Coach Whisenhunt and Russ Grimm and think they did a GREAT JOB! Peterson was a steal, was rated one of the best players in the draft. Picking a CB was probably not what the “fans” were expecting, but, I guess then that is probably why they are the ones in the stands. Most of the elite players have come out of the SEC, so I guess we did our homework before rushing blindly into trying to grab up one of the luke warm QBs. While everyone is talking about Sean Peyton pulling a rabbit out-of-a-hat, we didn’t fare so bad either! We have needed a TE and, hallelujuh, for Robert Housler, compared to Tony Gonzalez…what a thought! Whoever thinks we weren’t in need of a RB, should check out how many a teams like the Saints went through last season–it has to do with a running game vs a passing game, and again this should mean something to anybody who is more than casual fan; Ryan Williams was a gift! Pass Rusher out of Texas, Sam Acho isn’t Jeramy Shockey but has the potential. Even Stevie Wonder could see the direction that Coach is moving toward and I applaud the Cardinal’s choices. I am confident that we sill sign a veteran QB or trade for one…so, WOW, it’s starting to feel like football once again!
    Darren, you did a great job of covering the draft. Wish somebody would help Cardsalltheway find his foursome and tell AndyStandsUp to Sit Down! These guys are rookies so we need to remember that and have confidence in the coaches. GO CARDS!! WE DO THIS TOGETHER!!!

49. By Chris B on May 1, 2011 | Reply

If the TE and the LB come along and the new RB actually turns into a great back (think Giants 3-head monster) we’ll have a good team.
    Think of it this way:
    Yes QB is the most important, however, why settle for one you’re not high on just to “win now”? If Graves and Whiz didn’t see a QB that they saw as the future of the franchise why waste anything on him? That’s the type of stuff that gets coaches fired. They instead picked all the other pieces to go around the QB. Personally, I don’t want it to go back to the way when Warner was here; a great QB covering the flaws on the team. I want a team that has talent all over the board including a QB. Whiz and Graves are putting all the pieces in place to have a great, elite franchise for years to come, a perennial playoff team. I don’t want a 2 year wonder then bottom dwelling then two year wonder then bottom dwelling. They are building this team the best way they can. So when we do get a QB (for arguments sake, let’s say Andrew Luck) we will be a dominate team from front to back. I don’t want to be like the Ravens, Colts, Chargers or even the Patriots, who always can get to the post season but always come up sort. (And I think those teams are great and would love to have any of their QBs)
    The pieces are coming together. When that last piece falls (QB) we will be a dynasty.

50. By pacardsfan on May 1, 2011 | Reply

I think we had a good overall draft and am looking forward to free agency, especially since we are said to be “aggressive” in it this year. The one thing I don’t understand is all the down talk about Hightower and so much praise for Beanie. Yea Tim fumbled 5 times in each of the last 2 years, but at least he is healthy and he ran for almost 800 yrds last year, almost twice as Beanie. His longest run was 80 yrd, beanie’s was a mere 24 and he averages 33% more in yards per carry than beanie. I Tim is a restricted fre agent, my opinion is that we make a good effort to sign him otherwise we will be left with the draft pick ( a very good runner), beanie who is always hurt, and the hyphen for 3rd down and changeup. Darren, Your thoughts please?

51. By Fitzcardsgo on May 1, 2011 | Reply

Hey darren, I just saw the top undrafted list and a mlb came up Mark Herzlich, why wouldn’t we spend our 7th rounder on him because he was projected a top 15 talent before his cancer and do u think we will pursue him in free agency

52. By Mark on May 1, 2011 | Reply

I really hope the cards can package a trade with one of these runningbacks they have to get a decent quarterback. Otherwise I just dont see the point of drafting a runningback in the second round with so many holes to fill. How good would our draft look with if we had drafted Brooks Reed or Akeem Ayers in the second round to go along with Acho and Surdivant, which I thought were great value picks.

Now this goes to show how bad the 2009 draft was:
    We could have had they following players instead of that Beanie Wells: James Laurinatis, Ray Maualuga, Lesean McCoy, Sebasitan Vollmer

53. By Javi on May 1, 2011 | Reply

hey darren i just wanted to know about the cards upgrading their O line, just remember, Orlando Pace, 1997 orverall pick, he is a free agent, will the cards get him??

54. By PWalker on May 1, 2011 | Reply

The real draft is free agency this year!

If Graves lives up to his word and aggressively goes after a QB.
    Palmer, Kolb or McNabb can all win the West and possibly get the Cards back to the Super Bowl. Bulger I do not know, maybe another Warner, maybe not. He is a gamble in my book. Threw more interceptions than touchdowns the last 3 years he played (with bad St. Louis Teams).

If Michael Bidwill and Graves are really committed to winning its one of the three: Palmer, Kolb or McNabb. Anything else is SOC.

Warner, Lienart and Anderson contracts are GONE, no excuses.

Sign one of the three and this city will be on fire. Sign Bulger and it remains wait and see.

55. By Doug Moses on May 1, 2011 | Reply

I’m not at all pleased with the majority of the draft picks. Peterson is the only blue chipper. They need O- line people in a big way in addition to line backers who are all (except for Williams) long of tooth. they better hope like hell they can get a quarterback as they could have two or more that would have been better than the dogs they have now! They ought to take a look at Chris O’Doud center from USC he’s a horse and a steal in free agency!

56. By frankie on May 1, 2011 | Reply

Darren

Just wondering if you think we will look at WR Jeff Maehl from oregon i don’t understand how he went undrafted he is a proven play maker.

57. By Darren Urban on May 1, 2011 | Reply

Andrew —

RE: FA aggressive

I take it to mean the Cards will spend money and I think they will look seriously into Kolb.

58. By Darren Urban on May 1, 2011 | Reply

Richard S —

RE: Palmer

I think they will look at Kolb first. After that, we will see.

59. By Darren Urban on May 1, 2011 | Reply

pacardsfan —

RE: Beanie/Hightower

I expect both, along with Ryan Williams and Hyphen, to be a part of the Cardinals this year.

60. By Darren Urban on May 1, 2011 | Reply

Fitzcardsgo —

RE: Herzlich

I don’t know. Someone will sign him. But to say he was a top 15 pick before cancer, I mean, cancer is a pretty big deal. Especially when you are talking about playing football.

61. By Darren Urban on May 2, 2011 | Reply

Frankie —

RE: Maehl

No idea. Playmakers in college don’t necessarily translate to playmakers in the pros.

62. By Darren Urban on May 2, 2011 | Reply

Javi —

RE: Orlando Pace

Pace is just about done.

63. By Mr. Know It All on May 2, 2011 | Reply

2011 Cards Draft Grades:

1 Patrick Peterson A+
    2 Ryan Williams B
    3 Robert Housler C+
    4 Sam Acho B+
    5 Anthony Sherman C
    6 Quan Sturdivant B
    6 David Carter B
    7 Demarco Sampson C

B for overall grade.

Solid building blocks.

All In!!!!!!!

64. By Louisville Card on May 2, 2011 | Reply

Hi Darren, thanks for the great coverage I couldn’t watch the draft but you kept me very up to date. I also have to say how impressive it is to finally read the comments and it be 90% positive. I read these blogs a lot and this rarely happens so good job guys on not over reacting.

I think the organization had their best draft yet, you can really see the potential of 4 of the top 5 guys playing a major role from game one. The only exception is Acho which will probably need some time to develop. If you can get four starters out of a draft you’ve struck gold. If you look at the draft of the other teams in our division it looks like we can have this division for many years to come. Stay positive fans things are looking up.

65. By frankie on May 2, 2011 | Reply

Darren

Whats up with these articles talking about us trying to trade DRC for Kolb ?
    please tell me this isnt true …..

66. By cardsalltheway on May 2, 2011 | Reply

I suggest you put a STOP to YOUR “NEGATATIVE” labels. One of the things I dislike most about life is people thinking they have the right to put a label on others. Do I have a sticker on my forehead that reads…YOU ARE NEGATIVE B/C DARREN SAYS SO?” Who do you think you are calling me “NEGATIVE?” If you want to call me critical then go ahead. You are not my judge, I’m sick and tired of your negative(sic) attitude toward ME and some other fans. I think you show favoritism toward those you qualify as
    “positive” or those who side with the NFL management. SHAME ON YOU!

67. By cardsalltheway on May 2, 2011 | Reply

Whatever my post, you consider it(ME) as negative. That tells me you have a closed/negative mind. Why don’t you open your mind? You know I could point out a recent post of mine which you labeled as “negative” which was not. It’s too bad some observative people are considered “negative” But, I’m not surprised at your comments…considering….

68. By VoiceofReason on May 2, 2011 | Reply

I think it is almost crazy to question about any seventh round selection. You take the best athlete that is left, and if he doesn’t pan out, no big deal. I say good pickup there.

The one I question is the fullback — a position ripe for the picking in free agency. Kind of like kicker/punter. Fifth round is WAY too high for that.

I was also initally puzzled by the Williams pick, but if it is true that he was #15 on our overall board, then you almost have to pick the guy.

I hope, though, that Brooks Reed doesn’t turn out to be a 10+ sack guy. There was good talent at positions of need available at that pick. Da Quan Bowers was another player available. Ryan Mallett was also available.

Finally, I vomit a little in my mouth when I hear (and it’s being said constantly) that Jim Harbaugh is this quarterback guru. He’s developed one guy – Luck — who appears pretty good but we don’t know until he gets to the league. Kapernick (sp?) was a reach, especially given he traded up to get him.

69. By joe67 on May 2, 2011 | Reply

Obviously some questions, but I THINK I like it for the most part. Glad no qb. I think it is really hard to form a real strong opinion until we see what happens it FA. If we can fill in some pieces, then I think this will go down as a good draft.

70. By Chuck 1 on May 2, 2011 | Reply

For all the fans who think that the Cards had a great draft, there is still the little matter of signing FAs, who are in their prime (unlike Faneca and Joey to name two).
    The Bidwills and Graves don’t have a history of doing that.
    And, without a significant improvement in the O-Line, it will be difficult to have a .500 record in 2011 (if there is a season).
    O-Line FA signings will tell the story.

71. By cardsalltheway on May 2, 2011 | Reply

You plot your “Negative” people by labeling them/me against your “positive” peeps. If that’s the way you want to play then stop complaining about what some people say.

72. By cardsalltheway on May 2, 2011 | Reply

By labeling me and/or others you plot others against, duh! I don’t think anyone needs your help with labeling.

73. By cards62 on May 2, 2011 | Reply

This is a strange year to measure the draft with free agency being later, but our Cardinals have to really go after free agents. I think not drafting a QB is sending a loud message to all free agent QBs or QBs who want to be traded. If you want to start in the NFL and play on a team that has a chance to win come to the Cardinals. I like that we sent this message. I like Kolb and Palmer but I think Philly will want too much and Cincy is just crazy so I hope we trade for Orton and sign Young as free agents. If no Orton or Kolb or Palmer I hope we sign Bulger and Young as free agents.

I really liked Andy Stands up comparison to 2005 draft. I thought that was a smart post. Of course like Andy and the rest of you I hope the results turn out a lot different.

Darren a lot of fun in being a fan is playing GM and head coach so I am not in love with our draft this year. So please keep my selections and if I do really well pass them on to the Bidwills in a couple of years so they will offer me a contract.

I like our draft picks in rounds 1 and 7 so I stay with them and I bring in undrafted rookies Dane Sanzenbacher WR and Justin Boren G – OSU, John Clay RB and Scott Tolzien QB – Wisc, and Ben Chappel QB Indiana and I change up the rest of our draft this way. 2nd Round of course for me this is Kyle Rudolph TE ND as he blocks and runs and catches and I would think Coach Whiz would love this kid. I would have taken either OLB ASU or UCLA over Williams at RB. 3rd round John Moffitt G – Wisc., 4th round Casey Mathews OLB Oregon, 5th round Macus Cannon OT – TCU, 6th round Greg Jones LB MSU, and Greg McElroy QB – Alabama.

Have a great day and go Cards

74. By Mike Ellingboe on May 2, 2011 | Reply

@Fitzcardsgo,

Reports from the Senior Bowl weren’t good for him at all:

2/8 Update: The Senior Bowl was not good to Herzlich. He was too often easily blocked by running backs on blitz attempts. On top his of his poor pass rushing, Herzlich was also beat in coverage.

From FFToolbox.com http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=2382#ixzz1LDSd91qa

Not to say that I agree that the Senior Bowl should negate everything he accomplished at BC, or that I believe most of what I read from online scouting sites, but it likely contributed to him not hearing his name called.

75. By Mike Ellingboe on May 2, 2011 | Reply

@Frankie,

I wondered about Maehl as well, but from what guys like Rob Rang are saying the NFL just doesn’t think he can physically match-up at the next level.

Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com: “You’ve got to give him credit for his quickness. You see on tape that he is able to get open consistently. He has hands. But he’s so wiry. Some teams will look at him and not even watch the tape because they think he’ll get broken in the NFL.”

When I read the report it really makes me think that scouts sometimes do go brain dead because the parts about being able to get open and having good hands should trump concerns about his build. It’s not like he couldn’t be bulked up and he’s already played against some pretty hard hitters. Should be a great UDFA pick up for someone.

76. By Chris B on May 2, 2011 | Reply

Listening to the Hyphen call again brought a smile to my face. People said he was too small and wouldn’t make it;
    now he’s one of the best returners in the game and considered a home-run hitter every time he touches the ball and should be a probowl special teamer at least. Who knew.

77. By Darren Urban on May 2, 2011 | Reply

Frankie —

RE: Kolb trade

At this point, I don’t know what will happen. With the lockout, no talks can be going on.

78. By ross on May 2, 2011 | Reply

Cardsalltheway-what the heck is your problem? Darren is pretty right on in his reads. He knows my biases, yet always gives me a voice. If people are consistently pessimistic, then kudos to Darren for recognizing that.

Go cards. Go Darren. Go Tim Hightower.

79. By AndyStandsUp on May 2, 2011 | Reply

I found something even more disappointing personally then the Cards draft – being lumped in with cardsalltheway.
    Man, now I REALLY feel bad.
    And negative.

80. By cahongisto on May 2, 2011 | Reply

Darren:

After the draft obviously we look to weaknesses and places of improvement still … I think finding a solid second receiver to help breaston and fitz, a few solid offensive linemen to help create running lanes and maybe a veteran quarterback are our biggest needs what do you think?

81. By Darren Urban on May 3, 2011 | Reply

Cahongisto —

RE: Needs

All definite points. I am will probably write something along those lines later today.

82. By Chuck 1 on May 3, 2011 | Reply

Be careful out there.
    Don’t make critical comments about ANYTHING the Cards’ organization does.

83. By Darren Urban on May 3, 2011 | Reply

Everyone —

RE: Negativity

What I love is that you guys criticize others, whether it is the organization or individuals on staff or even me, but when someone criticizes you guys, you can’t take it.

It’s a load of garbage that you can’t be critical. I post all the critical stuff you guys say (save for foul language). If you guys couldn’t make critical comments, I just wouldn’t post them. Then I wouldn’t have to worry about it.

AndyStands joked about it earlier that he was being “negative,” but again, he isn’t always that way. Even Chuck 1 seems to have moments of middle-of-the-road. cardsalltheway doesn’t, and I called him on it. If he doesn’t like it, he doesn’t have to a) comment on the blog or b) read the blog. Same goes for anyone else.

84. By cahongisto on May 3, 2011 | Reply

Darren:

Do ya need a hug buddy? I know we are hard on ya being our only voice in the organization we can talk to so sadly you get to hear more of our ramblings and venting than anyone else… But I will say this you do an awesome job keeping in touch with us and in my opinion making us feel like atleast someone in the organization cares about fan opinions… I know alot of people get mad when you give simple truths about our team and its sad that even in 2011 human beings still cant grasp simple concepts that they are not always right and the world does not revolve around them… anyways just wanted to say good work and keep up the ripping of the nay-sayers I know I do it myself but I know how tough your job is and I respect ya for it because I know I couldn’t handle this and would probably snap on someone eventually haha

85. By Darren Urban on May 3, 2011 | Reply

cahongisto —

RE: Hug

No, I don’t need a hug.

I don’t even need people to stop criticizing.

I do want people to understand the constant complaining can get old, especially when it comes from the same sources and it’s the same drumbeat. As you said, I am reading it all the time, every day. It gets old.

86. By cahongisto on May 3, 2011 | Reply

Darren:

Sometimes I think I should emphasize my internet sarcasm more haha, and I wasn’t offering my services for a hug you work for an organization that employs some of the most gorgeous women in Phoenix … I was thinking more when ya feel bad hang out with the cheerleaders I’m sure they love ya and if I had to decide between hugging a big man or a gorgeous woman well I don’t think that really is a thing I’d have to decide on haha

87. By chuckwing24 on May 3, 2011 | Reply

No joke people. Darrens givin it to us straight, if you don’t like how he’s doing then just don’t visit the site anymore, because 99% of the people here think he’s doin a great job.
    PS. If it’s not about football then don’t post it!

88. By AndyStandsUp on May 3, 2011 | Reply

@Darren about the complaining-
    I really don’t take any of the bickering personally and for the most part, try to provide levity, into the comment section. Basically I like to see myself talk.
    Guys and gals, life is WAY too short to worry about a sport played by oversized males that make an exorbitant amount of money, regardless of how much we, as fans, love the game.

However, if clssylssy classifies me as a negative loser again – I’m going to punch his/her lights out.

89. By drummer-1 on May 3, 2011 | Reply

Darren you mentioned drumbeat, was that a stab at me..” just kidding” trying to put a smile your face, thanks for the good work you do big guy.

90. By AJ on May 10, 2011 | Reply

did u heard about Mark Herzlich LB from Boston College. He looks really good on his stats. He can be the best LB that can help cardinals def. Let’s him tryout and see what he can do! :)

2. May 1, 2011: Top Posts — WordPress.com