First sixth-round pick is LB Sturdivant

Posted by Darren Urban on April 30, 2011 – 12:54 pm

The Cardinals used the first of two sixth-round draft picks on inside linebacker Quan Sturdivant from North Carolina. Sturdivant, 6-foot-1 and 241 pounds, was part of the Tar Heel team ravaged from suspensions, and he was one of the ones investigated for improper dealings with agents (he was cleared ). He also battled a hamstring injury for five weeks.

But in eight games he had 61 tackles and 8.5 tackles for loss. In his career, he had 27.5 tackles for loss, seven sacks, four interceptions and three fumble recoveries, and looks like a good pickup considering he was thought of as a third- or fourth-round pick and some even believed he could go in the second round. With Gerald Hayes unlikely to return next year, the Cards needed depth on the inside behind Paris Lenon and Daryl Washington.

“With his desire and love for the game,” general manager Rod Graves said, “we are excited to get him where we got him.”

Sturdivant said he “made a bad decision” last summer — he was cited for marijuana possession, although the charges were dropped — and he said that probably cost him in the draft. “It’s been a little tough,” Sturdivant said of waiting to be drafted. “But now that I have a chance to play with the Cardinals, I’m excited.” Coach Ken Whisenhunt said the Cards investigated his arrest but are satisfied it was just a mistake, and Whiz added he liked the idea of how much support Sturdivant got (while battling his bad hamstring) at Carolina’s pro day from his other teammates, indicating players like to play with him. He will compete for the strong-side inside spot manned by Lenon.

Tags: , ,

36 Responses to “First sixth-round pick is LB Sturdivant”

1. By MikeFlorio on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

When can we release the lot that didnt perform for us last year???

2. By Phoenixraven1 on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Good pickup, this guy is starting material in a year and a good relief guy for washinton/lennon.

3. By D on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Great pick-great value-suppose to be the 3rd best ILB of the draft…should be special teamer and maybe pushing Lenon by end of the year…

4. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

The Cards Front office obviously was confident that they could get their LBs in the mid-to-later rounds. Drafting LB bust Cody Brown a couple of years ago in the second round proves that there are no guarantees just because a player is picked higher.

5. By Mark in Chandler on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Great Value!!!!!!

6. By John the draft guy on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Acho and now Sturdivant. Both were good values picks. Seems like they are now meshing best available with need. Don’t know if either guy can help us this year but it gives us depth.
    Good picks

7. By Demond Howard on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

I have a bad feeling that the Cards are not going to resign some of the players contracts and I believe they are going to trade off some good players for a QB.

8. By dane Bjorklund on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

THIS IS A GREAT PICK!!! i really think the cards are hitting home runs in both the 4th round and now in the sixth round!!!

9. By Chad on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

I like the depth they are building to improve the pass rush and working to improve the run game for guys who didn’t pan out (which will help the QB situation some too).

I just hope in FA that we can land some proven vets to improve the pass rush. Developmental and depth guys are great, but we need guys to make plays.

10. By Javi on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

hey darren, well do you believe that the cards will select tyrod taylor or a ofensive line men?

11. By Darren Urban on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Javi —

RE: Picks

I don’t think they take a QB.

12. By 949Cardsfan on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Great value pick at this spot in the draft

13. By Javi on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Darren what about a OL

14. By MoJo on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Darren please run to that room and tell them to draft Ricky Elmor out of UA

15. By EDijkstra on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Phil Steele had Sturdivant as the top ILB.

16. By AndyStandsUp on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

I like the pick.
    Darren, I ‘ve asked this a couple of times: Why is Hayes not expected to return?
    If the back is healthy, he’s been productive. Is it because of the contract or personal issues? Neither or both?

17. By Nick Qwerty on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Darren-
    Do you think that the cardinals have any intention on using any of their running backs for trade for Kolb, or Mcnabb or are they just gonna pick one up in FA

18. By Ryan on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Is there going to be a video posted on azcardinals.com that shows an inside look during the draft selections, it would be great to see a behind-the-scenes view of what went on in the war room and the decision-making process of the draft picks?

19. By EDijkstra on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

More on Sturdivant from Phil Steele: “Sturdivant is rising on many boards. He has good range in coverage and is surprisingly stout in the run game.”

20. By Darren Urban on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Hayes

I think it’s the contract and I think they just think it is time to move on, given his injury issues.

21. By Darren Urban on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Nick —

RE: Trade

I don’t know. If I am the Eagles, for instance, I want picks, not players, for Kolb.

22. By Darren Urban on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Ryan —

RE: Picks video

I do not expect that video. I don’t think we are shooting the war room.

23. By Christo on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Yes. Other than the FB we did pretty good. The FB should have been Marcus Cannon.

24. By John the draft guy on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Nick,
    Why do you think we are trading Hightower or Wells?
    Is it because they fumble a lot?
    Is it because we have no production from our running game?
    In Beanie’s case, is it because of the injuries or the fact many consider him a bust?
    Is it because AZ gave up on them and drafted another RB?

If yes, then, why ( in a year where you are seeing the devaluing of RB’s,) would anyone trade a player of value ( ie Kolb, who is expected to demand at least a 1) for our running backs? You are like the 5th person who has said Beanie for Palmer or Kolb. Please explain why the Eagles would do it, especially since they have Shaddy McCoy and run a west coast offense.

Maybe Denver will send Orton here for Wells and a second rounder/third rounder. Maybe.
    My Take- LSH is safe. He is an outstanding gunner and nice change of pace guy. Beanie will have the opportunity to battle Williams for playing time and I’m not sure what happens to Hightower. I wouldnt be surprised to see him stay with the team.
    I’m sorry. I just dont get it.

25. By drummer-1 on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren i know you wont anwser this but, do you find it funny how on one pick that the fans don’t like, they talk about how stupid the FO and Whiz is, it’s another 5-11 season for us..but when it’s a player they heard of, it’s thats a great pick, they have must have a plan… I think everyone should hold off negative comments till they see the final product, thats just me though..
    This fan base complain about their team more than any site i have been on..

26. By Darren Urban on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

drummer-1 —

RE: Comments

I think every has an opinion. I wish you guys wouldn’t rip each other so much, and I wish everyone would take a step back in some of their comments toward the team. I have no problem with pick criticism. I don’t understand why people get SO crazy upset. You can rip a pick without being so nasty with the language.

Here’s how I feel about the draft, and it has nothing to do with my job. I can’t get that wrapped up in it. To me, it takes three years to really know about a draft class. I’m not going to sit here and think “Ryan Williams is a terrible pick” and I’m not sitting thinking “Patrick Peterson will be a Pro Bowler.” No way to know. Not for the Cards, not for the pundits, not for the fans. I am happy for the interest because it helps my job, but I simply can’t get emotional in April when these guys have never played a second in an NFL uniform.

27. By Eazy E on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

UNC had so much talent. Sturdivant I’ve heard alot out of and he got suspended like a bunch of UNC’s players, but I like him.

28. By SteveDCO on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Darren –
    I get what you are saying about you can’t get too excited about players that haven’t taken a pro snap but a few things to remember.

We weren’t very good last year so many of these guys have a chance to make an impact early, especially with Horton making changes on defense.

We have no other football so the draft analysis will be insane over the next few weeks until FA starts.

I still love this draft as they took the BPA thus made the team better in 2011 and beyond.

I also think as we start to see the 2009 draft with a year of experience, fans get excited about what can happen with a great draft class.

29. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

@Eazy E,

I too, like Sturdivant and I can’t believe how much success we manage to have in the late rounds, he is way too accomplished at the ACC level to have lasted that long.

A quick correction to him being suspended, he was looking at a suspension but the minor drug charge against him didn’t end up warranting any missed games, the ones he missed were due to a hamstring injury. His play was all the more impressive considering he didn’t have Austin and Quinn in front of him last year.

30. By Darren Urban on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

SteveDCO —

RE: More about comments

Again, I have no problem how people look at it. Obviously, I’ll keep posting the comments.

Like everyone has an opinion, that was just mine.

31. By drummer-1 on May 1, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren i uderstand what you’re saying, but it bothers me when some of the fans rip on the team for no reason, not knowing what Whiz and the front office thought process is. I’m a positive guy, instead of saying how stupid the FO is because of a draft pick, have a wait and see what the plan will be..

32. By Nick Qwerty on May 1, 2011 | Reply

John the draft guy- it was mere speculation however it is not to say that the Redskins wouldnt take Beanie Wells and a pick or two. Especially given the fact that they have serious concerns at the quaterback, they need to alleviate the pressure off the qb with the addition of a back like Beanie. Also, take into consideration the Eagles may have a hefty price for Kolb however they are not going to want Kolb and Vick because Kolb is not gonna want to sit out week in and week out so it could be possible that over time the price can reduce and they will take picks and a player of Beanies caliber

33. By drummer-1 on May 1, 2011 | Reply

@Nick Qwerty..

just heard on channel 10 sports night that the Eagles would want 2012 1st rd pick and a starter for Kolb, and what i heard they want DRC..I really hope that doesn’t happen.. I would like Bulger, Skelton, and Bartel..

34. By Tony on May 10, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren

What about Mark Herzlich.. he looking good with his stats. So give him a chance and this guy will might be best LB so Give him a tryout! he can stop it all. good int.

35. By Darren Urban on May 10, 2011 | Reply

Tony —

RE: Herzlich

I think he took a big step back because of his cancer. He’s a great story. I’m not sure what kind of prospect he is.

2. Apr 30, 2011: Draft News: Final Day » Phoenix Sports Zone