Warner’s pick would be Palmer

Posted by Darren Urban on May 3, 2011 – 8:55 am

Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner appeared on The Dan Patrick Show today and the NFL Network analyst was talking, not surprisingly, about quarterbacks. He spoke about Cam Newton (he’d start him right away in Carolina given the Panthers’ QB situation, although he thinks it is better for a rookie to sit) and then was asked about the QB situation here in Arizona.

Warner said he talked to coach Ken Whisenhunt recently and Whiz asked him his opinion on some possible available QBs. Marc Bulger was one, Donovan McNabb was not (shocker!). Then Patrick asked Warner, out of Kevin Kolb, Carson Palmer, McNabb and Bulger, who would Warner’s pick be for the Cardinals.

Warner said it would be Palmer (who, again, comes with the caveat that he would have to be acquired in a trade and the Bengals have said they will not trade him). Palmer still is playing at a high level, Warner said, and thought that Palmer fits Whisenhunt’s style of offense perfectly. It’s an interesting take, especially since the draft weekend rumors seemed to make Palmer’s destination Seattle if Palmer was indeed moved.

But until the labor situation is cleared up and the Cards can actually get their hands on a veteran QB, this is the kind of stuff we will be speculating about.

Tags: , , , , , ,

107 Responses to “Warner’s pick would be Palmer”

1. By chris on May 3, 2011 | Reply

send beanie back to ohio along with a 4th round pick (can’t give up too much for a guy who doesn’t want to be there) for palmer. cinci neds a running back. we now have 4, including williams. obviously all contingent on a- a new cba, and b- the bengals actually agreeing to trade him.

2. By Brandon on May 3, 2011 | Reply

Out of Kevin Kolb, Carson Palmer, McNabb and Bulger, Who would YOU pick?

3. By cards D on the rise!! on May 3, 2011 | Reply

palmer has been my pick!!

4. By D on May 3, 2011 | Reply

We can scratch him off the list, don’t see the Cincy owner trading him…he is stubborn

5. By emm7777 on May 3, 2011 | Reply

I just really hope they don’t trade for Kolb. I think going after Bulger would be best. Ultimately I would really like to see John Skelton as our Franchise QB.

6. By tyler on May 3, 2011 | Reply

why are eagles blogs and news where your blogs usually are on the front of the azcardinals.com page. something doesn’t seem right? do you know about this?

7. By pwalker on May 3, 2011 | Reply

Mine too!

8. By blaxabbath on May 3, 2011 | Reply

Darren — (1) I’ve heard rumblings of Hasselbeck being an option. How does he play into this in your opinion? (2) How likely do you see the Bengals going for a trade — all I’ve read says that their ownership is ver stubborn (and this lockout has shown us that the owners are willing to really dig in their heels if they feel the need.

That said, I Didn’t catch the portion of DP this morning when Kurt was on, but I like Palmer as well. He has an attractive mixture of age, experience, and proven abilities that the other candidates simply do not match — Kolb = concussion issues/less experience, Bulger = age, Orton (since McNabb isn’t in the running) = not at Palmer’s level.

One thing I find especially appealing about Palmer is that I think he would thrive coming to a franchise who wants him and wants to build around him. Look at how Orton responded to being cast off (via trade) from Chicago to Denver — he blew up (by Orton standards). Palmer would have a fresh start with Whiz finally developing his system and the attainable goal of winning the West and, for Carson, being the best QB in the division.

9. By Darren Urban on May 3, 2011 | Reply

Tyler —

RE: Eagles stuff

That was a brief problem a couple of weeks ago. Clear your cache and it should be fine; it’s working fine on my end.

10. By Darren Urban on May 3, 2011 | Reply

blax —

RE: Hasselbeck/Palmer

1) I don’t know where Hasselbeck would fit in the equation, if at all. I think they’d look harder at other options first.
    2) Right now, I have no reason to believe the Bengals will trade Palmer.

11. By cards62 on May 3, 2011 | Reply

Orton first for me and then Palmer, but I know the Bengals and they are crazy. I really do think they will let him retire unless some team grossly overpays for him with draft choices and or player.

Guys do not give up on Beanie and Tim just yet. Last year was a disaster for our offense before we even made it to the season opener so lets hope we pick up some OL and QBs and give these guys 1 more year. We already have Williams so hopefully he will push these two like Peterson will push DRC and Toler.
    I do not think Tim needs to be pushed, but this will answer our questions on Beanie in 2011. Hightower just needs to hold onto the ball as he killed us last year fumbling the ball.

12. By Gustavo Heer(BRASIL) on May 3, 2011 | Reply

my pick would be kolb. just cause vick i’snt available.

13. By VoiceofReason on May 3, 2011 | Reply

I agree with Kurt. My wish list would be:

1. Palmer
    2. Bulger
    3. Orton
    4. Hasselbeck
    5. Kolb
    6. McNabb
    7. Gradkowski
    8. Batch
    9. Leftwich
    10. Anybody else (which includes Vince Young)

And ideally, if the Cards really want to do the right thing — sign two. Or trade for one and sign one. Never, ever let what happened last year to happen again. Make sure you’re covered at the position. That’s why the Steelers always had Charlie Batch as their #3 and another vet backup to Roethlisberger.

Anderson and Hall have no business being in the league. Heck, I think Josh McCown would have done better for us last year.

14. By BMH on May 3, 2011 | Reply

easy choice…Palmer or trade for Kolb…avoid…Bulger

15. By VoiceofReason on May 3, 2011 | Reply

And on Palmer — ownership was stubborn before they picked a very good quarterback high. Once trades for players can happen at all, I’d float a third round pick, or sweeten it with the third plus Tim Hightower. If they want to move him at all, that should get it done.

They could also explore the same trade for Kyle Orton.

And sign Bulger regardless. Given the status of our O-line, we’ll need two quarterbacks this year.

16. By RelayTV on May 3, 2011 | Reply

I agree with Kurt, Palmer would be the best QB for us, he is #5 on the list of all-time QB accuracy (Kurt is #1 of course.)

But I don’t think CIncy will give him up for a “reasonable” price. And all the Cardinals persoonnel moves must be “cost-effective.”

What I think WILL happen, is that We will trade our #1 pick in 2012 plus a conditional pick for Kolb, and we will ALSO pick up Bulger for insurance/backup.

Anderson, Bartell and Max Hall are shown the door.

Getting only 1 QB during free agency would not be enough to fix our QB problem, or ease Fitz’ concerns. So it seems clear that we will have to get Bulger + 1.

Training camp will sort out the order. But I see it going Kolb, #1, Bulger #2, Skelton #3.

That would be my idea of “Aggressive in free-agency.”

Let’s see if the front office agrees with me.

17. By RelayTV on May 3, 2011 | Reply

Sorry, Kurt is #2 most accurate.

But always #1 in our hearts.

18. By BigRedFan on May 3, 2011 | Reply

That is VERY interesting, considering he and Bulger were teammates in the same system with the Rams.

More than a vote FOR Palmer, I see it as a vote AGAINST Bulger.

19. By juan on May 3, 2011 | Reply

Hey darren, you should have enough strings to interview Kurt himself. I’ve personally met him a couple times and he’s even spent a good 5-8 mins talking cards with me. We can never get enough Kurt!

20. By brythybo7 on May 3, 2011 | Reply

I dont understand why people say Carson isnt as good as he used to be or never was very good. He constantly throws for 250-400+ yards (sometimes less) in his games, yet his team still cant win. Even against Atlanta this year he threw 412 yards and they still lost. Its not the QB that is the problem with the Bengals. I would love to see him come here and team up with our receivers and pull in those numbers, and train Skelton. A man can only dream…

21. By MikeG on May 3, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren, I thought the Card’s did a nice job in the draft. The second rounder was the only clear shocker to me. We will see what happens with the QB situation. There really aren’t many trades in the NFL so it will be interesting which direction the Card’s go. Bulger and Palmer??–I’ve always questioned their heart in St Louis and Cincy–maybe the Card’s can breathe new life into them!! Who knows!!!. Were you surprised the Card’s didn’t pick an offensive lineman in the draft???

22. By Tyler Comella on May 3, 2011 | Reply

I dont think that the cardinals should give up a first round pick for any of these quarterbacks. And whoever keeps saying that we are going to trade Peterson for trade bait is completely wrong he is a cardinal. I think that a second round pick for Carson Palmer would be a good trade, he is not going to play for the Bengals next year and everyone knows that. Also i think everyone is forgetting about one QB and that is kyle Orton i think that he is a decent player and many reports i have seen is that tebow is going to be the starter in Denver. I think that cardinals could get him for a 3rd or even 4th round pick. The cardinals were smart about this draft they knew that they did not have to take a QB in the draft because they were going to have a bunch of different options once the cba is fixed.

23. By CJ Perry on May 3, 2011 | Reply

I don’t think we should take Palmer for 1 primary reason: drama. This whole threatening to retire thing is just a bunch of drama. I want a guy who wants to play and will give his all no matter where he is. Palmer doesn’t seem like that guy.

I personally think Bulgar for the interim while we groom Skelton but put the focus on Skelton. He has shown amazing cool in an extremely stressful situation. He did very well with no reps or practice with the team. He has the potential to be a great QB.

But we do need a veteran in the time being so I think Bulgar would be the safest and cheapest option to fill the gap. Palmer would probably play better this year but Bulgar would be a better option looking at long-term goals.

24. By Darren Urban on May 3, 2011 | Reply

MikeG —

RE: OLine in draft

I think it’s safe to say that yes, I was surprised they didn’t pick up an offensive lineman.

25. By Phoenixraven1 on May 3, 2011 | Reply

Palmer could work, just don’t think his owner will let him come play…lol

26. By modavaysean on May 3, 2011 | Reply

Trading a 1st or 2nd rnd pick for Qb that got hurt in his first start and hasn’t proven ANYTHING (KOLB) on the field would be really really dumb .

27. By Mark on May 3, 2011 | Reply

I think you’re 100% correct in your assessment.
    Kolb, Bulger and Skelton
    Anderson, Hall and Bartel are gone.

28. By K-DUB on May 3, 2011 | Reply

Palmer, Palmer, Palmer. He’s been taking shots from Steelers and Ravens and he still standing. Palmer to Ftiz and Breaston instead of the T.Ocho duo, imagine the possibilites. Trade a pick and a player that’s not Beanie or DRC, why not Porter and Haggans.

29. By RelayTV on May 3, 2011 | Reply

“More than a vote FOR Palmer, I see it as a vote AGAINST Bulger.”

Bulger took Kurt’s job in St. L.

I think it still burns him.

30. By bluepitt on May 3, 2011 | Reply

I need your help understanding how people think our Backs and running game is so bad off.
    1st. Our running game ranked 6th in the NFL at YPC on 300 or more carries.
    2nd. Whiz sat on several occasions and deadpanned the camera in interviews and said we cant try and run the ball when we are down so much. (to witch I totally disagree in most games we were not down by much coming out at the half.)
    3rd. Even that Mark Wallburg looking ex coach was baffled when we played Sea. at why we didn’t run the ball, or even try to do so in his half time commentary.
    On THT Timmy does have a ball handling issue, but he has broke off some record runs for us and can block like there is no tomorrow.

Wells, He is a 2 year player, In his rook year he showed flashes of greatness! That was when we had a QB, now last year we were ineffective in every faucet of the game O and D, but the best stat we had was our running game (6th in YPC)
    What am I missing Darren?
    Wells has yet to develop, I understand that. But how could he last year? on 3rd and 10 2nd and 15. I just dont get it. If Whiz has the Rooks dont start then Wells did great in his Rook year and didnt do so bad last year. and before people go off on fumbles,

Just for giggles lets compare carry to carry, fumb to fumb.

Wells has 292 carries for 1190 yards and a 4.1 YPC avg. in his career (Note the Carries)
    Chris Johnson 316 carries for 1364 yards and a 4.3 YPC average Just last year alone here is the big stat Johnson had 3 fumbles with 2 lost Wells had just 1 and recovered it, no losses. last year fumble stats Johnson had 6 drop and loosed 5 of them Wells had 5 and loosed 2.

The kid has had 2 years and had a great rook year 4.5 YPC Johnson had a .4% higher YPC than wells and 2 times the carries.
    Please don’t tell me Whiz is going to get rid of him because he voiced his opinion and frustration last year.. Whiz has a history of that, Every player that says anything to upset whiz is gone! see Boldin and Leinart.
    Help me understand Darren, or at least give me your opinion on why THT or Wells might get traded or the AXE next year.

31. By bluepitt on May 3, 2011 | Reply

correction on the fumble stats I ment over the last 2 years not last year….

32. By Darren Urban on May 3, 2011 | Reply

bluepitt —

RE: running game

Well, let’s start with the idea that Whiz would dump someone because of voicing an opinion. Boldin was traded because he had an issue with the the organization and his contract, and that bridge was burned. Anquan wanted out as much as the Cards were ready to move on. As for Leinart, the Cards felt it went beyond his opinion — that his feelings were going to affect both his play and the locker room. Leinart didn’t want to be here. I think Beanie does want to be here.

As for moves at running back, I don’t know if by next year you mean before or after 2011. I think for 2011, everyone will be here. Might one be gone after that? Perhaps. Hightower should be an RFA this offseason so I wouldn’t be surprised if he plays on a one-year deal. The reality on Beanie is you are right — he has shown flashes. It hasn’t been enough. Some think it’s OLine related. Others may not. I do think they expected more of Beanie last year and didn’t get it.

I don’t know what Williams’ arrival will mean, but I think it starts with the idea he was highly-rated and they wanted to collect highly rated players. From there, the players on the field will sort themselves out. It can be a cold business sometimes.

33. By DRC #1 FAN on May 3, 2011 | Reply

Palmer would be a good choice. so would Brady and Manning and Aaron Rodgers. Why are people even talking about this? He is a signed player. Who is available? that is who we can look at. DA had some good plays when he was fresh off the bench. I see no problem putting in DA as a back up. compared to bulger or gradakowski… at least DA has a year in the system and we don’t eveen have to pay him that much I am sure. Skelton is staying and max Hall is practice squad I am sure. With all the BS in the league the only changes to our team are going to be quick and precise. Maybe even picking up some positions that are best available and not so obvious needs. like… matt light from the patriots…

34. By dre on May 3, 2011 | Reply

we need to get a free agent not a trade and do what ever it takes to get andrew luck this guy is the real deal, payton manning with legs

35. By Michael M on May 3, 2011 | Reply

I was hoping we would get Leshoure instead of Williams, but im fine with the way it turned out. Once we get better o-line play, then Beanie, Hightower, and Williams will start to make a bigger impact.

Also, i feel like we should of taken Mallet.

36. By Kurt on May 3, 2011 | Reply

I’m sure everyone would prefer Kurt himself,
    but the bald Seahawk Hasselbeck if it’s just a stop gap waiting on Skelton, he looks as promising as a few of those 1st round QB’s, and whats happening with Super Max? I’m sure the saints won’t forget him soon

37. By Phoenixraven1 on May 3, 2011 | Reply

Your right D about the cold business but that is what makes good teams great. Depth and moving onto even better players ask the Pats and Steelers about that!

38. By Dre on May 3, 2011 | Reply

Any QB would be better than DA and two rookies!

I think Kevin Kolb is the best choice that makes the most long term sense. For one, Kolb doesn’t want to be in Philly since Vick is the starter. I know Andy Reed does not want to have to answer “who going to start this week at QB” question for another season.

So, it’s a question on want team he will be with next year and how much that team really wants Kolb.

Dealing Hightower, a proven starter and a 2012 second round pick should be enough to aquire him from a team who want to focus on the team instead of a distraction…a la 49ers with Joe Montana and Steve Young!!!

One fan was right…trade for Kolb and sign a Bulger and keep Skeldon at number 3.

39. By Tyler Comella on May 3, 2011 | Reply

I just read an article that said the cardinals could be trading a first round pick and also DRC for Kevin Kolb. I know that nothing will get done till the CBA Is signed and also this could just be speculation but why would that deal even be proposed I think that is way to much for Kolb we could get him for just a First round pick. We have one of the best secondaries in the league now why would we want to trade one of our best players and a first round pick for Kolb. I agree when you have a guy that you want to be the franchise of your team you go after him but I think they are giving up to much if that trade were to happen.

40. By Big Red Fan on May 3, 2011 | Reply

Relay TV –

“it still burns him”

I have to agree. . . . I lived in St. Louis when it happened, and it still burns most of us.

41. By Big Red Fan on May 3, 2011 | Reply

Darren –

Strange that no one has ever mentioned this before, but what about Donovan McNabb?

Rumor is he has a home in Arizona.
    :) :) :)

42. By Big Red Fan on May 3, 2011 | Reply

Darren –

I just saw DRC #1 FAN mention keeping DA as a backup.

Any realistic chance of this happening, or is there just WAY too much bad blood there?

I propose the team hold open tryouts like Dick Vermeil did in Philly. Why not?

43. By Chris B on May 3, 2011 | Reply

There are two strings of thought here:
    1) Get Palmer (Bulger/McNabb-I know, I know, not happening) and have a veteran who leads the team for 2-3 years. Then go with Hall/Skelton/New Rookie as future
    2)Get Kolb as the future and leave Skelton/Hall to be back-ups.

I can see it both ways. Personally, I think the lockout remains longer than expected and trades/signings don’t happen. It wouldn’t surprise me if we start a Qb on the roster currently (not DA).

As far as running backs: there’s 4 on the roster now, why not next year? Which one do we give up on? Don’t know yet. It’s too early to give up on Beanie and Hightower is too productive and Hyphen is gold.

44. By Darren Urban on May 3, 2011 | Reply

Tyler —

RE: DRC trade

Link?

45. By Darren Urban on May 3, 2011 | Reply

Big Red —

RE: DA

I do not expect Anderson to be on the roster this season.

46. By Tyler Comella on May 3, 2011 | Reply

Here is the link. Like I said earlier it could just be speculation.

47. By Darren Urban on May 3, 2011 | Reply

Tyler —

RE: DRC

Something like that link, with all due respect, is just like someone suggesting it here in the blog comments. I’d need to hear it from someone who actually talks to NFL people before I’d worry about it.

48. By georgiebird on May 3, 2011 | Reply

McNabb is the best QB for the Cardinals NFC West aspirations. As far as Carson Palmer goes- haven’t the Cardinals had their fill of USC QBs?

49. By Tyler Comella on May 3, 2011 | Reply

The reason why I thought it was something was because I follow those people on twitter and thought it was you that I was following after I looked at it again i realized that they person that wrote that article has not clue about what they are talking about

50. By Code on May 3, 2011 | Reply

The Eagles have already said that a first round pick would be enough to land Kolb. It seems foolish to think they would want more than a first round pick and much more foolish to think the Cardinals organization would actually include DRC in the trade. Personally, a first round pick for an unproven QB is too much for my liking, at least not a pick as high as the Cardinals had this past draft.

51. By Chuck 1 on May 3, 2011 | Reply

Do I read some fans posting about O-Line deficiencies???????????
    Is that being “negative”??????????
    Or, is it just being factual based on last year’s performance and the fact that the Cards don’t have a history of paying up for FAs in their prime?????
    Need an example????? Faneca, anyone????

52. By Chuck on May 3, 2011 | Reply

I know for sure I heard Marvin Lewis say that Carson Palmer decided to retire and was at peace with his decision? Is this not true anymore, or just rubberish to please the media and fans until he’s out of Cincy? Personally, if Kurt Warner says the guy is perfect for our system, he is MY CHOICE, because Kurt Warner’s skill wasn’t a super amazing physical presence, it’s intelligence. He knew where to throw the ball and when, and if he sees himself in Carson, please, sign this kid up.

53. By isaiah on May 3, 2011 | Reply

i think we should get palmer 1st but if we cant get donovan mcnabb he better than anyone else we can get besides palmer

54. By CZarr on May 3, 2011 | Reply

Tyler –

DRC and a first round pick for Kolb would be the equivalent of dumping your cheerleader captain girlfriend and dating an elderly old overweight chimpanzee.

Ok, maybe not that bad, but seriously… DRC may not have played to potential last year, but he is most certainly a solid corner at his worst and a potential pro bowl corner at his best. Throwing that on top of a first round pick to Philly for someone as unproven as Kolb would be the most idiotic thing since the Randy Moss trade last year.

Dumbest article on that site I’ve read in a long time. I don’t think you’ve got much to worry about.

55. By Ty on May 3, 2011 | Reply

@chuck1
    Stop being a cry baby! If you don’t like Darrens comments on your opinion….. Then stop asking for them!! Lol…. It’s a blog. It’s here for everyone.
    On that note… I say go for Palmer!

56. By Dynasty on May 3, 2011 | Reply

Orton should be the top priority for the Cards to sign. He took a beating with a very poor offensive line and played well. He made Lloyd look great even though he had done very little in prior years. Orton is still young enough to provide several more productive years and excelled in a very difficult and advanced offensive scheme (Josh McDaniels. So, clearly he has the mental capacity to get the job done. It would be nice to have some insider knowledge when McDaniels and the Rams play the Cards, too. He also did not throw a lot of interceptions. It is quite possible that we could get him for a 2nd round pick or less. Bulger and Palmer have been hurt for numerous games over the last several years and their best years are behind them. McNabb is definitely on the downhill side of his career as is Hasselback. Kolb could be good, but he is unproven in my view and it would take a lot to get him from the Eagles. It will be interesting to see if the Broncos would deal Orton, what they would want for him, and if the Cards front office would even be interested in him.

57. By VoiceofReason on May 3, 2011 | Reply

Trading DRC might be the dumbest idea I’ve ever seen here. No chance — none — that the Cards are that stupid.

Now, trading Hightower, when his value may never be higher, might make sense it helps bring us a starting quarterback. Don’t get me wrong, I really like the guy, but he reminds me a little of Marcel Shipp. In AZ, where he has some credibility, he looks like a valuable piece, but somewhere else he’s cut.

58. By tygrbass on May 3, 2011 | Reply

bulgar is a bad move in my opinion… if you look at his last year with the rams they finished dead last…. then they pick bradford with the same system and staff.. and turn a giant corner…. that should tell you something even though he didn’t start every game I think he is burned out. In my opinion it is a gamble to get any player from the bengals because they are so internally screwed up it is hard to pin point what kind of mind set or bad habbits they may have developed

59. By ross on May 3, 2011 | Reply

People in paralell universes are funny.

60. By ross on May 3, 2011 | Reply

People in parallel universes are funny. I need my space time continuum machine.

61. By cahongisto on May 3, 2011 | Reply

Darren:

Have you ever met Carson Palmer? I just think his personality would put Fitz at ease and make him play without thinking about how much he needs to make up for a sub-par QB… I mean every athlete trains and practices until they can do something without thinking and with so much turmoil at QB last year Fitz must have been uneasy the whole year and Carson’s personality seems to easy and his physical tools are so stellar I think with Fitz they would both excel and become a serious duo in the NFL and with Kurt being so close to Larry he probably felt that and would know better than most what is going to help him produce at that playoff level he had when we made our run… I mean you see these guys more than any of us what was the chemistry like between quarterbacks and receivers last year off field and during practices?

62. By harlanlee on May 3, 2011 | Reply

Okay. Palmer sounds good.
    We must assume a deal is eminent and will be consummated soon as the CBA is approved. Otherwise, Kurt Warner would not have gone on national TV with Dan Patrick.

63. By Darren Urban on May 3, 2011 | Reply

Cahongisto —

RE: Chemistry

I think chemistry is a lot better when the play on the field is working, not necessarily vice versa.

Fitz loves Max Hall as a person. But it didn’t click on the field. And while I know Fitz and Warner liked each other a lot personally, the biggest reason Fitz loved Kurt was because he was so good at getting him the ball.

64. By Chuck 1 on May 3, 2011 | Reply

Ty,
    I didn’t ask for Darren’s opinion AND I DIDN’T ASK FOR YOIURS!!!

65. By cahongisto on May 3, 2011 | Reply

Darren:

See I would have thought that Fitz and Kurt were like peas in a pod because of how they talk about eachother but your right it was probably more based off production and that professional respect than anything… So if you were going to offer up deals for McNabb, Palmer, Kolb and Bulger what would you be willing to offer each or their team if need be?

66. By Scott H on May 3, 2011 | Reply

Hmmmm….I really haven’t felt that the Cardinals needed Palmer…but I suddenly DO NOT like the idea of Palmer in Seattle. While I think the Cardinals are a better team than the Seahawks, we saw what can happen when the Seahawks have a better QB than we do. I’ll say it again – it’s ALLLLLL riding on the QB position for this team this year. Regardless of who that guy is, if that guy plays well, this team should win the division. If the level of play at that position is no better than it was last year? Don’t expect them to be any better than they were in 2010.

67. By chuckwing24 on May 3, 2011 | Reply

A) McNabb is overrated and should be a last resort along with vince young.
    B) Kolb had two good games in his short career, and they were against horrid pass defenses and those games were shootouts. In no way is he worth a 1st round pick, even a late one.
    C) Palmer has still got a lot of years in him, and there’s no way if we offer a decent price for him that the bengals will turn it down. I can’t believe the bengals owner would turn down B.Wells and a 3rd rounder in 2012 for him. If he does, he has no business being the decision maker for a taco bell let alone an nfl team.

Go for Palmer and if that doesn’t work, Bulger has a couple years left in him. Just please get some O-linemen also!

68. By AndyStandsUp on May 3, 2011 | Reply

If Palmer was to be traded (and OchoCinco tried it unsuccessfully before), more than likely the Cards would want to restructure his contract. If I’m Arizona (and evidently most people thank Kurt I’m not) I throw the same lowball proposals to Kolb, Palmer, Orton, McNabb, Young and/or who else they may covet and go from there.
    Darren, didn’t I read that you thought Kolb may be the first option?
    And you had said the Cards should flood the position to find a QB. Did that mean keeping Bartel, Anderson, Hall, Skelton and the FA/trade passers until the final cut, even at the risk of letting another positional player go? Especially if the lockout goes deep into the summer?

69. By Darren Urban on May 3, 2011 | Reply

Cahong —

RE: QBs

I have no idea what the comps are. In terms of trade, I feel like, say with Kolb, I want to know what the Eagles want, as if they are a car dealership. Go from there.

70. By Darren Urban on May 3, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Kolb/flooding

I do think Kolb will be the first target. Whether it means they can get him is another story; I don’t think the Cards will give the Eagles whatever they want for him. The deal must make sense.

As for “flooding” the QB spot, you can have four QBs at camp, in my estimation. Skelton has to be one. From there, I see what is available and who is willing to battle, and I take the best other three I can find, whoever you think that is.

71. By AndyStandsUp on May 3, 2011 | Reply

Even if one of those “three” is comedian Derek Anderson?

72. By drummer-1 on May 3, 2011 | Reply

Darren you really think the cards would give up a 1st rd pick and a player for Kolb.

He was a 2nd rd pick that hasn’t shown much, so why would they give up a 1st and a player.. Maybe a 2nd and a player, but not a starter..

73. By Ty on May 3, 2011 | Reply

@chuck1
    In all fairness I should also of added that I actually like reading your comments, and don’t find them “negative”……when they are about football.

74. By Patrick Peterson # 1 fan on May 3, 2011 | Reply

we should trade for Carson Palmer!!!!!!!!!!!!!

75. By DirtybirD on May 3, 2011 | Reply

Beanie and a pick for Palmer sounds good to me. The Cardinals could even throw in Doucet. Time to be “aggressive!”

76. By Eazy E on May 3, 2011 | Reply

1.McNabb- Would be super bowl contenders with him
    2. VY- All he does is makes plays and wins, we know first hand,(09-10 season vs. ari)
    3. Carson Palmer- Up and down and inconsistent last couple years, but maybe needs a change of scenery
    4.Kevin Kolb- Wouldn’t overpay for him, reminds me of alex smith(sf), may be ok as our qb

Bulger isn’t on the list because i’m not going to waste time about him in a cardinal uniform. Hasselbeck would be a last option, he’s much better than bulger but the first 4 are all better.

77. By Eazy E on May 3, 2011 | Reply

My bad, I said all VY does is makes plays, it should be make plays.

78. By Canadian Red Bird on May 3, 2011 | Reply

Darren

Could this Kevin Kolb trade talk stop; this is getting ridiculous!!! No team in their right mind< ( pardon me there is one according to Andy Reid who always tells the truth would trade a first round draft pick for a concussion prone, unproven, over rated QB.

Set our sights on an experienced QB that doesn't cost us four arms and six legs. We lose our first round pick in 2012 and it very well could come back to haunt us, like losing an opportunity to draft Andrew Luck.

79. By Wyonativefan on May 3, 2011 | Reply

Card fans need to realize that without a good QB the front office needed to reinforce the running game in AZ. With that said I think the best bet for a good QB is Orton out of Denver. He was a starter and and has done a good job for them. Now that Denver is playing Tebow, Orton is probably looking to go where his starting position is not in jepordy. I feel Orton would be a true leader, and an asset to the Cards, besides after playing in Chicago and Denver he will definitely like the weather. Go Cards!

80. By bluepitt on May 3, 2011 | Reply

First of all, your reply post is going to get printed and hung in my garage, Just for the “Your Right” part…hahaha lol. Just kidding. (well maybe)
    So on the Tim thing, are you basing your thoughts on the long Offseason(Lock Out) and having little time to trade and get FA’s, or on the fact we will need him to pass block till some one steps up? I do see a THT trade or release, I just think he has to work to hard to be a average to good player, Where as other players have the Gifts to be great with less work. I think it would be stupid to get rid of Wells prior to fixing the O-Line or Scheming a little better on his runs. He has it, I just know it.

81. By Darren Urban on May 3, 2011 | Reply

drummer —

RE: Kolb

I don’t know what they would give up. I guess it will depend on the market. To me, a first is enough, but the Eagles have some leverage here.

82. By Darren Urban on May 3, 2011 | Reply

Canadian —

RE: Kolb/Luck

You have to be the worst team in the league to get Luck. If the Cards win two games next year, Fitz will leave and Whiz — with that bad of a season — would come under heavy, heavy fire.

You can’t plan to do that. Especially if you think Kolb on board makes you a 9- or 10-win team.

83. By Darren Urban on May 3, 2011 | Reply

Bluepitt —

RE: Hightower/Beanie

I don’t think either one is going anywhere, at least not yet. But aside from the fumbles — and I’m not saying it’s a small thing — Hightower, at least in 2010, did everything better than Beanie. He ran better, he blocked better, he caught the ball better, at least overall. He broke more long runs. Hightower is the kind of player Whisenhunt and most coaches like, a hard worker who is accountable. There is a reason he continues to start even when Beanie was healthy.

Can Beanie surpass him? Sure. I do think Beanie needs to be more consistent, however, and that’s what coaches are waiting for. As I have said before, I think the moves at RB will come after 2011, not before the season. Ryan Williams will be fourth on the depth chart and will have to work hard to move up, like any rookie.

84. By Dre on May 4, 2011 | Reply

Somebody ask fitz if he would like andrew luck throwing to him for the next 6 years or more. This guy will be the next Peyton manning and he will make fitz stats compairitable to Jerry while also bring a couple of superbowls home

85. By CZarr on May 4, 2011 | Reply

Ryan Williams has one hell of a stutter step… I was a bit perturbed when I didn’t see a LB or Hybrid come off the board, but then I looked at the kid’s highlights. They say he ran slow at the combine, but he looks so much faster.

86. By Tyler Comella on May 4, 2011 | Reply

CZarr-
    I agree with you I don’t know why anyone would think we would trade DRC on paper the cardinals have one of the best secondary’s in the league. Also I dont think the cardinals should trade anything but a first round pick to get kolb, or Palmer. I think the cardinals will sign hightower to a one year deal and the cardinals will keep all the running back. Here is the only reason why the Cardinals will not sign Hightower though. They want to use the hyphen in some of the packages now so that could ultimately mean that either beanie or hightower are gone.

87. By dennis on May 4, 2011 | Reply

Palmer would be the best choice, followed by Kolb. Bulger is just one concussion shy of a Happy Meal.

88. By jocards on May 4, 2011 | Reply

I do not think the Bengals will trade Palmer, I’m not sure Kolb would be worth the asking price. I do not believe Hasselbeck has much left to offer, I’m not certain Bulger does either….Orton I don’t think is the answer and I don’t want to go anywhere near McNabb…or Vince Young. Wow, where does leave us? John Skelton as the starter? No. I say we take a chance on probably the least exoensive option…Bulger and hope that Skelton develops into the real deal.

89. By dennis on May 4, 2011 | Reply

Darren, Did you hear about this report?
    “NFL.com reported Friday that the Lions tried to trade up and draft Louisiana State cornerback Patrick Peterson, the top defensive back available, in the first round.

According to a person familiar with the talks, the Lions offered the Arizona Cardinals first-, second- and fourth-round choices for the Cardinals’ pick, No. 5 overall.”

If so what could the Cardinals be thinking? We could have really improved this team. That is a very high price to pay for our #5 pick, don’t you think??

90. By drummer-1 on May 4, 2011 | Reply

@Dre…
    You’re kidding right…..

91. By FightON on May 4, 2011 | Reply

Forget Carson to Arizona, will never happen…if the Bengals try to trade him to the Cardinals, he will retire. Count on it. Wait for Andrew Luck, could we be that lucky?

92. By Chris Lewis on May 4, 2011 | Reply

I agree with Warner. Palmer is the perfect fit for Arizona. He’s a quality QB who needs a new home, and I’d love to see him come to my team. I believe he’s good enough to take us to a Super Bowl. Just give him some protection, and he’s one of the best in the league. The only hitch is convincing stubborn Mr. Brown to trade him away. Echoing what another fan wrote, trade Beanie and maybe a future draft pick for Palmer. Let’s just hope Mr. Brown comes to his senses and realizes if he doesn’t trade Palmer, Palmer will sit out a year and they won’t get anything for him this year.

93. By jocards on May 4, 2011 | Reply

I actually think that Bulger might be the choice here. Kolb’s asking price might well be too high, Palmer I don’t believe will even be traded, Hasselbeck probably doesn’t have much left (nor does Bulger), Orton is not the answer and I don’t want to go anywhere near McNabb or Vince Young. I think Bulger could be probably be had for around 4 million, no dealing of players would be necessary and the team would just have to hope he can run the offense effectively and that Skelton can develop into the real deal.

94. By Scott H on May 4, 2011 | Reply

Eazy E –

RE: QB’s

Um…exactly when did Vince Young do all of this winning with Tennessee??? And how did all this winning lead the Titans to the conclusion that they want no part of VY going forward? Understand this – it ain’t like another team came along and signed him away from the Titans for a blockbuster free agent deal. The Titans just flat out decided they don’t want him anymore. My reasoning says to me that there must be a darn good reason for that. And I think those reasons are pretty apparent.

I won’t bother commenting on McNabb at this point. I know we disagree on that topic!

QB’s I say yes to – Kolb, Palmer, Bulger, & Orton. and exactly in that order.

QB’s I say No thanks to – Young, McNabb, Hasselbeck. Order doesn’t matter, I don’t want any of them.

95. By skeltonfan on May 4, 2011 | Reply

I wonder what the cardinals definition of “aggressive” is. What do you think?

96. By Darren Urban on May 4, 2011 | Reply

Dennis —

RE: Possible trade

Assuming it is true — which I have no confirmation — if they felt Peterson was a star in the making, it’s not always good to just let that go.

97. By Darren Urban on May 4, 2011 | Reply

FightON —

RE: Palmer retiring

Wait, he’d retire if the Bengals don’t trade him, and you’re saying he’d retire if they trade him?

98. By FightON on May 4, 2011 | Reply

Carson holds all the cards, it’s “Trade me or I’ll retire, try to trade me somewhere I don’t want to go…I’ll retire.” That’s what I’m saying. Carson and Troy Polamalu showed up at a San Diego Trojan Club meeting last month and spoke to the group. He’s happy and prepared to exit on his terms.

99. By Darren Urban on May 4, 2011 | Reply

FightON —

RE: Palmer

I’m not saying he wouldn’t retire. But if you are using it as leverage to leave Cincy, I find it hard to believe he would also say, ‘Oh by the way, I won’t go to the Cardinals too.” Especially since the Cards are one of the few teams that has an open job. And frankly, if he is that happy to walk away from the game, I’m not so sure I want him on my football team.

100. By DoblerFan on May 4, 2011 | Reply

I’m not sure why K. Warner prefers Palmer for the Cards. He was in his prime back in 2005-7. Since his elbow tear he has never regained his arm strength and is timid in the pocket not to mention his lack of leadership. I believe the high draft picks and/or players we lose along with the somewhere around 10 million per year salary should make this move out of the question even if we could.

101. By azirish on May 4, 2011 | Reply

Just for the sheer fact that our line is not the greatest, I say trade a 4th round pick to Washington for McNabb. McNabb would want to play for the Cardinals!! He still has his mobility and he can elude rushes. I just think Shanahan and him didn’t mesh well. With our weapons on offense McNabb would thrive here.

102. By kaleb on May 5, 2011 | Reply

This could mean nothing, since i believe the reason mcnabb wont play for the cardinals comes from cards mngmt not mcnabb himself but he is obviously expressing interest in working with the team, and more importantly, FItzgerald appears to be expessing interest in recieving his passes. Just an interesting article.

103. By kaleb on May 5, 2011 | Reply

Oh and another good thing about the Cardinals situation. I only see a few guys from last years roster going into free agency that we really should be giving a new deal to.
    1. Ben Graham
    2. Alan Faneca
    3. Joey Porter (maybe)
    4. Bryan Robinson (Maybe)

Other than that we can pretty much make cuts and focus primarily on making aquisitions in Free Agency.

104. By kaleb on May 5, 2011 | Reply

Now here is my list of free agent targets for 2011 (in no specific order):
    1. QB Marc Bulger (I think we bring him in as #2 and trade for our #1 **Kolb**)
    2. OLB Thomas Davis (Panthers)
    3. OL Matt Light (Patriots)
    4. OL Jamaal Brown (Redskins)
    5. OL Robert Gallery (Raiders)
    6. OL Kyle Kosier (Cowboys)
    7. OL Reggie Wells (Eagles… We all know him)
    8. SS Deon Grant (Giants)
    9. OLB Ben Leber (Vikings)
    10. DE Jason Babin (Titans)
    With emphasis on the OL.

105. By Darren Urban on May 5, 2011 | Reply

Kaleb —

RE: NFL.com article

That’s taken directly from Kent Somers’ work.

106. By Scott H on May 5, 2011 | Reply

azirish –

RE: McNabb –

I truly hope Mcnabb to Arizona NEVER happens but why would the Cardinals have to trade to get him from Washington??? Pretty much everything I have heard regarding McNabb and the Redskins points to him being released at some point. IF the Cardinals wanted him – and I don’t think they do – they could just wait for his release and go after him then. It would make sense that the Redskins would want to get something of value in return for McNabb but I honestly don’t think McNabb has a lot of value left at this point and I wonder if anyone is going to offer much in return for him…especially if they believe that he will be released at some point. There must be a date by which the Redskins have to either release him OR they will have to pay him for this coming season if they don’t. Whatever that date is…I’m betting that he gets released before that date.

107. By azirish on May 5, 2011 | Reply

Scott H-

I hope the Redskins do drop him, but they are going to try to get something for him first. McNabb probably didnt want to be in Washington in the first place, remember he was traded! I think last year for him was a joke. Im not putting too much into him working out with some of the Cards, but if him and Larry find a connection Larry will push for the guy. And we all know, what Larry says is LAW!!!

Who would you want for a qb?