Considering the crowded backfield

Posted by Darren Urban on May 5, 2011 – 9:49 am

Last year, the Cardinals had four running backs: Tim Hightower, Beanie Wells, LaRod Stephens-Howling and Jason Wright. One time, in Kansas City, both LSH and Wright were out with injuries. Stephens-Howling missed two other games. Beanie missed three games himself (Hightower played in all 16 games). In all, there were 10 games in which the Cards had and used all four backs.

It can work and, given how much practice was missed during the season as one or more of them had nagging aliments, all four were needed.

That’s the backdrop this year with the addition of second-round pick Ryan Williams, the surprising – to a point – choice in the draft. Wright was leaning heavily toward retirement at the end of the season, so the Cards were going to need another back to continue its ratio. Of course, the questions many have aren’t about whether the Cards need four backs, it’s how much playing time each will get.

Hightower had a pretty good season last year and earned the starting job he had nearly all season. But no one – including coach Ken Whisenhunt – is going to forget Hightower’s fumbling issues. Wells has a load of talent, but seemed to take a step back last season with injuries and never found a rhythm all season (although, arguably, the running game was behind the eight-ball given the offense’s circumstances most of the year). The Hyphen flashed every time he had a chance as a back, but he is undersized and has importance on special teams.

“It wasn’t done with the idea of sending one of those guys a message,” coach Ken Whisenhunt said after the pick, and on the surface, I do believe the Cardinals forcefully went into the draft looking to take the best players available  – as they saw them – regardless of the position.

There is little question, though, that they want more from the veteran running backs, and Wells in particular. Beanie told Craig Morgan he understood what the Cards were doing and is even planning to bring both Williams and rookie fullback Anthony Sherman out to Arizona to work out with him. Beanie mentioned “if I’m getting better, I can send a message.”

Anyone following a NFL team has to understand the business part rears up often. I’m sure Edgerrin James didn’t see Hightower replacing him halfway through 2008, just as no one guessed Williams would  be an early pick this season. It’s tough not to note, however, that Whisenhunt continues to mention how the Cards were 5-11 last season, so everything needs to be better. That includes the running game as a whole, and the running backs individually. Williams, in theory, should help that. How it eventually shakes out the depth chart (or, possibly, the roster makeup), well, that’s the storyline everyone has to watch play out.

Tags: , , , , , ,

64 Responses to “Considering the crowded backfield”

1. By John on May 5, 2011 | Reply

Is there any chance, whne the strike is over, that the cardinals bring in Stephen Skelton? As a rookir free agent?

2. By Darren Urban on May 5, 2011 | Reply

John —

RE: S Skelton

I suppose there is always a chance.

3. By MikeFlorio on May 5, 2011 | Reply

Finally Urb!! A decent, solid story. I would like to see LSH get the rock a little bit more. He is undersized, but, so was Barry Sanders, Warrick Dunn and those RBS were spectacular. We need an offensive line, and a qb.

Do you know if any of the players have or will organize a player expo, were the fans can come meet and greet them, or do functions like that have to trickle down through the PR department????

4. By gage on May 5, 2011 | Reply

beanie and williams… darren, would eagles like hightower and a 1st for KOLB??

5. By Aarom on May 5, 2011 | Reply

Isn’t Hightower a free agent?

6. By Ernie on May 5, 2011 | Reply

Darren, On the circus that is our quarterback situation. Let’s say for just for my own curiosity that Carson palmer is our choice. Would a next years first round pick still be needed to make that trade happen? Is he worth a first round pick?

7. By Darren Urban on May 5, 2011 | Reply

MikeFlorio —

RE: Player “expo”

You’ll have to ask the players. Usually when they happen, it is team-organized. Obviously that isn’t happening right now.

8. By Darren Urban on May 5, 2011 | Reply

Gage —

RE: Eagles trade

You have to ask them.

9. By Darren Urban on May 5, 2011 | Reply

Aaron —

RE: Hightower status

Hightower does have an expiring contract and has played three seasons.

10. By Darren Urban on May 5, 2011 | Reply

Ernie —

RE: Palmer

To me, with Palmer’s age, I do not think he is worth a first-rounder.

11. By James on May 5, 2011 | Reply

I was wondering you published an article stating that the cardinals had recieved some offers for there 5 pick in the first round of the draft. You may have mentioned it, but what kind of offers did the cardinals recieve if you happen to know? Did they get offered certain players, picks etc? Oh and NFL.com published an article on McNabb joining Fitz and the Cards for a workout. Whats up with that?

Thanks Darren for your time and hard work!!!
    God Bless,
    James

12. By dre on May 5, 2011 | Reply

Vernon Davis just called out Dockett on espn first take

13. By Darren Urban on May 5, 2011 | Reply

James —

RE: Offers/McNabb

That blog post with the trade mention linked to the original reported offer from the Lions trying to move up for Peterson.

There were a few non-Cards with Fitz yesterday. McNabb just happened to be one of them.

14. By Ernie on May 5, 2011 | Reply

Me either. I hope if kolb is not the choice that we can get a free agent qb, keep our draft pick and see what we have in john skelton . As far as the running backs, I have faith that beanie will come around this year. Making Williams a very good number 2. And leaving Lsh as number 3. Number 4 will almost have to be a pass blocking full back. I do feel Williams will show why he was taken at number 2 and we will look great having taken a good running back at a great value.

15. By Ernie on May 5, 2011 | Reply

Dude… I wish people would get over mcnabb. It’s not gonna happen. And I don’t think mcnabb would even be a good fit here.

16. By BMH on May 5, 2011 | Reply

I honestly wwould like to see LSH get more playing time…guy deserves it…good hands and doesn’t drop the ball like wells or hightower…I’m glad they picked up Williams a solid choice…We may need to use hightower or Well as trade bait.. two years and niether Well or hightower can control the ball…very sad..

17. By cards62 on May 5, 2011 | Reply

Ernie and Darren
    Palmer not worth a first round pick # 1 to 5, but definitely worth first round pick # 26 to 32 and us enjoying a good year. Still my picks are Orton and Young or Orton and Bulger. I am excited and pleased that the Cardinals are going after at least 1 experience QB and I hope 2 and I would be happy if Palmer or Kolb are wearing our colors if we do not give up too much, and I would not be upset if we brought in 2 veterans and one of them was McNabb. We should see much improved QB play in 2011 verses 2010,

Darren why is Wright talking about retiring? I know football is a young man’s game, but I believe Jason Wright is only 28 years old. Is he going to move to Boca Vista with Kramer and retire?

1 football 4 backs is one too many if all are healthy. Not enough touches or action to get a feel for the game. Hypen can be our Darren Sproles and needs to get touches every game. Williams in my opinion is a mistake and cost me my stud TE and cost a lot of you your excellent OLB. Guarantee you if all are healthy one of them will not be on our roster next year. I like Beanie but I do not know if he will work out, but I would have given Beanie one more year to prove himself with an NFL caliber QB under center, and I would have picked up 2 free agent rookie running backs this year to battle for Wrights position and play on special teams.

Go Cards

18. By MikeFlorio on May 5, 2011 | Reply

Urb! do you have any contact info for the players??

19. By VoiceofReason on May 5, 2011 | Reply

I think Ryan Williams will get early playing time — he’s got wiggle that none of our other backs have. Hightower may find himself playing on third downs, with Wells and Williams getting the lion’s share of carries.

20. By Scharf on May 5, 2011 | Reply

Everyone seems to be biased towards Hightower. Singling him out, even though Beanie Wells hasn’t done anything since he came to Arizona. He had a great run near the end of his rookie season but has been as dormant as a volcano ever since. All the Hightower haters out there need to realize that Hightower is the best back we have, and has a lot more to bring to the table than Wells. I hope with the new addition of Williams we can see Hightower and Williams in a 1-2 Punch. Also – Beanie Wells longest run was 33 yards, followed by a 26 yarder this past season. Hightower has broken a 30YD TD in his rookie season, a 50 yarder, and an 80 yard TD run this past season. (Not to mention the 70 yarder he broke against New Orleans in the playoffs).

21. By Brian on May 5, 2011 | Reply

I wish people would get over carson palmer…he is not getting traded period!..The only thing i see happening is whiz going for kolb and giving them a 1st rounder and possibly beanie….or i heard andy reid wants DRC…i dont think whiz will give up a 1st rounder plus our 1st round draft pick in DRC…cards need to throw everything at andy reid to score kolb and build around him…otherwise we are using that 1st round pick next year on a qb anyways..kolb started 7 games last year and threw for 300+ in 3 of them…thats enough for me..get em..play em..build around him!..thanks for the hard work darren!

22. By Mario on May 5, 2011 | Reply

Last year when the going got tough…many cardinals took the foot off of the pedal. I like Whiz’s approach, if you’re not the solution, then I’ll draft another one. They drafted a lot of hard workers. Looks like a shake up and it’s all for the better. Nice job!

23. By Darren Urban on May 5, 2011 | Reply

MikeFlorio —

RE: Contact info

I do but none that I’m handing out.

You can find a bunch of them on Twitter though.

24. By john h on May 5, 2011 | Reply

Our success or lack of this year will be entirely dependant upon our QB play. We could get lucky and be good or we could fall on our face. We will have the problem many teams will face and that is a new or almost new QB starting. Teams like the Colts and Patriots who have had Manning and Brady for ever and not a lot of change will likely come out of the shoot on all cylinders.

25. By bluepitt on May 5, 2011 | Reply

@Scharf,
    hahaha just look at Wells Rook Stats VS THT.. Hightower has yet to get a season with as many yards as wells rookie year yards! Are you kidding me?
    Wells averaged 4.5yards in his rooky year to THT’s 2.8. THT has 12 fumb’s with 8 losses…..some costing us games! Sure wells sucked last year The coach passed every down so THT was the pass blocker and got most of the runs! If you look at their 2nd year stats they are close to the same. with wells playing 3 less games! Give me a break! Ill tell you what if you can get THT to hold on to the ball, ill give you my vote for him to be second string! lol
    But the thing I want you to explain is how THT hasent gottn the yards in one season as Wells did in his rook year? And he has had his chanses!

26. By Chuck 1 on May 5, 2011 | Reply

Darren, have you heard any scuttlebutt about what’s happening on the Lockout legal front?
    If not, do you have an educated guess about what the results of the legal wrangling will be?

27. By Chuck 1 on May 5, 2011 | Reply

I’m hoping for better performance from the offense, but w/o a much improved O-Line, it ain’t going to happen (no matter who the QB or RBs are).

28. By Darren Urban on May 5, 2011 | Reply

Chuck 1 —

RE: Lockout

My knowledge of when this ends is going to be the same as yours — what I read is being reported.

29. By ross on May 5, 2011 | Reply

Hey bluepitt…you aren’t serious are you? YPC for THT last year was 4.8. Since they’ve been playing together, THT gets more yards per touch than BW.

30. By #24bigfan on May 5, 2011 | Reply

I agree with mike we need to reload our o-line with quality freeagents, with players that are still in their prime.U really can’t hit a homerun with every player that gets release by their club, like they did with the great Warner. Teams have to be willing to put it out there, let people know that they are in the hunt that they are willing to be agresive to meet their needs. In other words put out some serious money or make a big move like the falcons did. The Qb issue won’t get fix unless u upgrade the line, u could even bring brady and he will also fail.

31. By Mar, in Chandler on May 5, 2011 | Reply

It seems the QB rumors go in spurts: Bulger and Cards have an “agreement”; Kolb and Cards are just waiting to finalize the trade; Palmer is coming to Arizona. All of the national and local talking heads then start saying if the Cards don’t get this QB then all is lost. I don’t hear that much about Orton. He has a better completion and passer rating, and yards per completion than Kolb. There is much less of a risk and much more film on Orton. (There were some games last year that Kolb really looked bad.) Orton would be much cheaper to get. Denver seems to be selling. And he is only 28. On top of all of that I think he fits the Cards system much better than Kolb. I am worried that the Cards are going to sell the farm to get Kolb when Orton would be better and Cheaper and could be a franchise QB for the next 7-9 years. What is your impression of the Cards interest in Orton in comparison to Kolb?

32. By Darren Urban on May 5, 2011 | Reply

Mark in Chandler —

RE: Kolb v Orton

If I had to guess, I’d say Kolb in front of Orton.

33. By cards62 on May 5, 2011 | Reply

Beanie verses Tim

Past does not matter who we keep depends on how they play in 2011.
    If it the Beanie of college and rookie year I think its Beanie hands down.
    If its Beanie of last year I think Beanie is gone.
    Lets feed Beanie the ball 20 – 25 times for 2 games and lets see what we have.
    The kid was special in high school and college. If he still has the hunger, which a lot of players lose, I think he will be a great back for us. Last year was such a waste in so many ways. I was excited when we drafted Beanie and have been waiting for Whiz to make him the feature back for 2 years to see what we drafted.

Tim has improved every year running the ball and I think he will be in his prime in 2011. Tim runs hard and has break away speed. LSH is also progressing very well and this is why I am still shocked that we drafted Williams.
    Tim of course has to hold onto the ball. I do not care if he averages 8 yards a carry if he fumbles as much as he did last year we will lose games because of him, and he will be cut or traded.

I think WIlliams sees little to no time next year unless we have injuries and Kyle Rudolph makes the all rookie team ha ha.

Go Cards

34. By Blair on May 5, 2011 | Reply

Man get over your stats. Orton has some of the worst hands ever and is a fumble factory, but you probably wouldn’t know that because all you look at is touchdowns and interceptions. And to say kold looked pretty bad in some of his games, none of them were nearly as bad as ortons game vs the cards. There is a reason the bears and broncos gave up on him, he doesn’t have it!

35. By ross on May 5, 2011 | Reply

Darren, I am not going to do it, even though I want to. Deep breath. Beanie and timmy are both good backs. I hope they both enjoy success along with ryan williams and the hyphen. Positivity.

36. By ross on May 5, 2011 | Reply

But come on people! Potential is so overrated without passion. There, I feel better.

37. By Bucky on May 5, 2011 | Reply

Don’t overlook Alex Smith. Could solve some problems.

38. By Peter in Canada on May 5, 2011 | Reply

Blair – Orton’s game against the Cards was almost as bad as Warner’s against Carolina in 2009.( The regular season game not the playoff from the previous season lol.). So obviously it’s the best games that matter most. I agree that Kolb is the better long term prospect than Orton but if Reid plays hardball then forget it. He is not worth a #1 pick unless as Cards62 states we make the playoffs and draft 26-32. But I don’t think Kolb is that good a QB to get us there. I think Young is the best choice. He is a proven winner unlike Kolb and is young but has obvious issues. Those issues are nowhere near as serious as Vick’s and he was rehabilitated. I say we take a flier on Young.

39. By Don on May 5, 2011 | Reply

While wild speculation is nice…… I think a lot of people are in left field here. A 1st rounder and Beanie for Kolb? That’s just rediculous and way to radical for what we really need. I think that the Cards are going for Marc Bulger or Matt Hasslebeck and they are banking on the fact that one of the two young QB’s we have will develop in this system. The one thing I think we attemp to address in Free Agency is OL help. Whiz trusts Shoefield/Davis/Haggans/Porter to produce at OLB and then we get a lot of help from blitz schemes to pressure the QB with our new Secondary backing it up. OL is our only TRUE weakness if we address QB in FA. There is no way Whiz throws away our 1st rounder next year AND one of our RB’s to try and get a QB everyone is unsure of.

40. By Scott H on May 5, 2011 | Reply

Peter in Canada –

RE: Vince Young

Again ( as I have asked others the same thing ), just WHEN was it that Vince Young became a “proven winner???” What exactly has he won??? Is it me? Did I miss it??? Honestly, when people refer to this guy as a winner, I have NO idea what they are talking about. Can someone please give me the resume?

And again, how does a “proven winner” get flat-out dumped by the team that he supposedly did all the winning for??? I don’t see that happening with Brees, Manning, Brady…the only logical reason for Young’s availability is that the Titans DO NOT feel like THEY can win with Vince Young. Just my opinion, but when I look at Young, I do NOT feel like I’m looking at a proven winner.

41. By Big Red on May 5, 2011 | Reply

To all you people that are worried about the QB position, don’t worry. John Skelton will make all of you forget about Carson, Kolb, Bulger and Orton. Have faith in the young man. He will surprise the Red Sea!!!!

42. By AndyStandsUp on May 5, 2011 | Reply

@Scott H.regarding Young.
    I don’t know the stats offhand for Young, but he’s intriguing to me. Certainly one that the Cards don’t want to overlook. Whiz seems to like strong character guys, especially ones with leadership skills on and off the field.
    But Vince, IMO, seems to have this je ne sais quoi feeling, much like Roethlisberger.
    Which I think is Spanish for even though the guy a head job, he can really play.

43. By SteveDCO on May 5, 2011 | Reply

Just throw one thing out there for all the Orton fans.

The three worst QBs in the Red Zone in 2010.

1. Jimmy Clausen
    2. Derek Anderson
    3. Kyle Orton

You sure he is the best QB option?

44. By bluepitt on May 5, 2011 | Reply

@ross,
    That is very true, but the fact we needed THT, to block on every passing down because of the heat the D was bringing, witch was every down..lol he was going to get most if not all the carries. Our fearless leader (Whiz) only sent Wells in to run the ball, and the D teed off on that fact, knowing when wells went in he was going to get the ball 99% of the time. If you look at Wells rook year he did great, THT not so much, Looking at Wells 2nd year not so great Look at THT’s 2nd year not so great ether, Wells the rook kicked his butt, now in THT,s 3rd year he did better due to the fact our O couldn’t get it going at all. And THT is a Great Pass Blocker…Lets see Wells 3rd year then the truth will come out. Im sticking with the player that has the most yards in a season and least game changing fumbles…. WELLS

I personally think Whiz will give his new Rook more carries to prove his worth…

45. By Haggis Bob on May 5, 2011 | Reply

“Beanie told Craig Morgan he understood what the Cards were doing and is even planning to bring both Williams and rookie fullback Anthony Sherman out to Arizona to work out with him.”

You ‘hear’ of some of the other teams players organizing their own practice/workout sessions. I have heard about various players in the Cards circle getting together. But how about a larger group of really dedicated guys? Is it happening but just not news worthy, per se?

46. By bluepitt on May 5, 2011 | Reply

“Darren, I am not going to do it, even though I want to. ” hahaha like you are a caged pitbull or sumptn..lol GIVE ME A BREAK!!!! There Darren i did it.. K Darren.. Hay Darren I might do it… Oh wait Darren….hahahaha
    Hold me Darren!!! Hold Me……

47. By bluepitt on May 5, 2011 | Reply

Yup, Potential is so overrated. just ask Kurt while he sat the bench in STL or NY, or when he was cut by the GB Packers,
    or when he was bagging groceries!
    Just like this years pick PP he has potential, that is so overrated he will get PAID based on his potential, All those NFL players out there were signed based on potential!
    Ok i’m done!
    Darren, we need to have a Photo blog so us regulars can see just what the other regulars look like…. Im so curious..It can be Card’s related like picks at the game or in gear…Why not. We will send them and you can post them with our user names…lol What do ya say?

48. By Haggis Bob on May 6, 2011 | Reply

HA! Just saw on NFL network Fitz has a bunch of guys together including McNabb. Call all the locals in and use them! Good Job!

49. By Eazy E on May 6, 2011 | Reply

Our running game was last simply because of poor QB play and inconsistent o-line play. McNabb, VY, Palmer, T-Kolb/Orton in that order CARDS.

50. By Eazy E on May 6, 2011 | Reply

Scott H-

Peter in Canada, gotta agree with you on Kolb, he isn’t worth a 1 and more or a 1, reminds me a lot of alex smith in sf. C’mon Scott H. 30-17 wins-losses record in the league. He won games consistently in spite of one of the most overrated coaches in the NFL in jeff fisher. Fisher never liked him either, he make one mistake and he taking him out, poor coaching PERIOD. Vince would consistently win games almost by his self, (see 09-10 tenn vs. ari). 4th quarter was his time to shine.

51. By Darren Urban on May 6, 2011 | Reply

Haggis —

RE: Workouts

Well, Fitz has been doing some things. In the end, players have to call reporters and let them know what is going on to have it publicized. It’s possible other things are going on and players just want it low-key.

52. By Jeff Gollin on May 6, 2011 | Reply

I’ve been less concerned about fumbling and injuries on the part of Timmy or Beanie and more concerned about the proverbial “Turf Monster.”

On tape, you too often would see Beanie or THT tripped up in the hole by a hand on a foot or an ankle.

What I noticed on tape of Ryan Williams was that his feet seemed more nimble and he’d pull his leg away a split-second before a defender could trip him up. If you believe that (with perhaps the exception of backs like Edge who relied mainly on leverage and power) successful running plays are a matter of split-second timing and inches, you have to be excited about having (a healthy) Williams in our backfield.

53. By ross on May 6, 2011 | Reply

Bluepitt, enjoy your weekend.

54. By Scott H on May 6, 2011 | Reply

Eazy E –

As much as I like Kolb, I do agree with you that he was not worth the #5 pick the cardinals had this year. Had their pick in the first round been much farther down the trough….I may have felt otherwise. The team did the right thing by taking a defensive stud player at #5.

Regarding Vince Young, you still have failed to answer the very basic and simple question of WHY – if he is such a proven winner – Vince Young is being ditched by the Titans??? You seem to think that his talent level and performance are so obvious for anyone to see…yet, it does not appear to be so obvious to the team that has employed him for the past several years. BTW, when you point out his wins-losses record, you are helping to prove my point. If that is so convincing, WHY are the Titans moving on? Simple question. Don’t make excuses for him – answer the question! Same with McNabb. The Redskins had enough of him before his first season there was over. And – according to all reports – they are just counting down the days until they RELEASE HIM!!!

Sorry, but in today’s NFL – which is so QB driven and where there are SOOOOO many teams in desperate need of a good QB – proven, winning QB’s are NOT being released. Young and McNabb are going to be available because they do not ( or they no longer ) fall into that category.

I am taking GREAT comfort in the current reports that the Cardinals are apparently NOT interested in McNabb. I know we disagree on this. But if you are truly a cardinals fan, I really think you might end up being grateful that McNabb is not our QB. Believe me when I tell ya that there are sure as hell an AWFUL LOT of Eagle fans that are already glad he’s no longer there.

55. By cards62 on May 7, 2011 | Reply

To Scott H and others on QBs. As I have said before we will never agree totally on which QB to lead our Cardinals. I still remember the Leinart vs. Warner arguments until the SB run shut them up. Me personally I will be happy if Skelton beats out every QB we bring in and leads our team for the next 15 years, but like most of you I would not bet my 2011 season solely on Skelton. I want two veterans signed this year to compete with Skelton, and I think we can as our QB position is wide open and while we do have other issues as a team I believe QBs will see that they have a chance to succeed with us and will join us. Honestly guys I was really hoping SD would be really stupid and fire Norv Turner and we would be really smart and make him our offensive coordinator. I think our coaching will be the biggest drawback for quarterbacks being successful. Warner lets face it, he was his own QB coach and he did have Haley, and Haley was/is a very good coach.
    Like I have said I will be happy if Kolb or Palmer are wearing Cardinal red if we do not have to give up too much, but reality says they could be too expensive.
    Every QB I name or anyone name including Kolb and Palmer you guys can shoot holes in and you would be right, there will be risk just like there were risk with Warner. The reason I like Palmer, Orton and Bulger is their experience especially Bulger and Palmer.They really do not need a lot of coaching and guys I do not think they are going to receive much coaching. I hope I am wrong and will listen to all of you who tell me I am wrong but this is my thinking. We have not handled QBs well here and we all know this and our division was awful last year and while we were in the hunt for the playoffs we started Max Hall over John Skelton. Guys I am old so most of you probably will not get this but any coach who knew anything about QBs would have started Red Skelton or John Skelton over Max Hall.

Concerning Vince Young. I will be happy if he is one of two veterans we bring in.
    Scott I can not tell you that Vince will not be a flop with the Cardinals especially with the coaches we have. The coaches are my biggest fear for Vince.
    Vince is far from perfect as is the Titans ownership currently and some times a fresh start is best for all parties. Jim Plunkett did not do much with the Patriots, but did well for the Raiders, Falcons dumped Farve, Chargers dumped Drew Brees, Rams and Giants dumped Warner and my favorite 49ers dump Joe Montana. If Joe Montana can be shown the door any QB can. I understand why they were dumped, but another teams garbage can be the Cardinals gem.

Vince Young 30 – 17 in the NFL I believe Eazy E educated us to on a not great Titan team. I will be very pleased if our Cardinals win 30 of their next 47 games. I know this is college but Vince beat a great great USC team in the title game and I do mean Vince and not Texas beat USC and I saw VInce beat a great OSU team earlier that year and OSU pounded that man for 4 quarters and he still found a way to win with his arm. Anyone who watched these 2 games would see that something very special is in there, and a good coach will be able to unleash the talent again. Guys I do not think Vince will be expensive in terms of what it will take to get him or the money to take a chance on him. Vince did this in College for 3 years and has 30 wins in the pros now Carolina thinks enough of Vince Young Junior aka Cam Newton to use the #1 pick in the entire draft when they could have had any player and they are going to pay what $ 40 to $ 80 million on a guy who has zero wins as a pro and really only one year of college football.

I am not saying that Carolina is wrong I am just saying they are taking a huge risk much more so than our Cardinals would if we signed Vince Young and another veteran. In the end it all comes down to faith for Carolina and for our Cardinals on who we put behind center as our team will have many choices and I am pleased that management is going after QB or hopefull QBs for us.

Go Cardinals and I hope free agency begins soon so you guys can see what our team will look like before you have to buy your season tickets.

56. By drummer-1 on May 8, 2011 | Reply

@Cards62…

In one of your statements you say we don’t handle QB’s well here, and then in another statement about Vince Young, you say he would not be a flop here because of the coaches the cards have, then you say your only fear is the coaches.. What was this post about? do you like the coaches? or do you dislike them..?

57. By Scott H on May 8, 2011 | Reply

Cards62 –

RE: QB’s

Wow, I can’t possibly respond to all of your points! But I will say that I do not disagree with you about John Skelton. I get so wrapped up in posting about Kolb & McNabb & ( more recently ) Vince Young that I don’t say much about Skelton. He’s not my first choice ( that is still Kolb ) but I will not be unhappy if the Cardinals go into the season with Skelton as the starter and a veteran ( let’s say Bulger ) as the back-up and designated mentor. I think Skelton has something and i would love to see this kid become our QB going forward.

58. By lets talk cardinals on May 9, 2011 | Reply

Scott H

Vince Young is a beast, who can run for positive yards via (Game winning TD against USC) so why wouldn’t you want that? He did single handedly beat us in 09-10 not sure if you watch the Cardinal games. Kolb is not a proven winner like Young is (What Do I mean by proven??)? Well he does average 10 wins & 6 loses which will make us go to the Playoffs. Oh yeah he does have a NCAA championship.

Let’s compare: Regular Season of last year Vince Young 10 Td 3 int 1255 yards & he didn’t even play 16 games(coach dnt like him) passer rating 98.3

Kevin Kolb 7 td 7 int (Nice Ratio) sarcasm 1100 some yards..oh yeah & they lost to the Titans in week 7 lol passe rating 75 some….

Winner: Vince Young

Give hima chance, Vick got one.

59. By card62 on May 9, 2011 | Reply

Drummer 1 VY is not my first choice but if he is one of two QBs we bring in I will be happy. I do think our poor QB coaching will make it harder for Vy to suceed in Cardinal red. Our QB coaching was not good last year and I do not see anything that tells me it will be better in 2011. I am open for discussion.

Thanks for responding

60. By DoblerFan on May 9, 2011 | Reply

Hey Bluepitt, As for your idea of pics attached to comments – We don’t need your pic. With all your lol’s and hahaha’s it’s easy to tell your age and look.

As for the RB situation – It’s always a good idea to draft replacements before a huge need (F/A or retirement) as we see management did. With one of the worst OL in the league last year, Williams shifttyness will be needed. Beanie can’t be considered a bust yet. Let’s not write him off so soon and repeat our Hearst and T. Jones mistakes.

61. By Scott H on May 9, 2011 | Reply

Lets talk cardinals-

Ya know…can we stop making such a BIG deal about that ONE game against the Cardinals that VY had back in 2009??? My god, man, why don’t we just put him in the Hall of Fame right now??? BTW, anyone remember how bad our defense was for most of that season? Well, I do. Don’t get me wrong, I give VY credit for that game. He had to make some plays on that last drive, no doubt about it. But I give our lousy defense just as much credit for the Titans winning that game. BUT IT’S ONE GAME, FOLKS!!! It was ONE GAME in the middle of a season against the Cardinals who – by the way – were without Kurt Warner that day. Kurt plays, that game isn’t even close. But to listen to people, you’d think it was a damn Super Bowl…

Look, I don’t think VY is a bad QB. Can he make plays on the field? Sure. Has that helped the Titans go far into the playoffs or to a SB? No, it has not. You see him as a winner. I ask what has he won? OK, so he has a career record of more wins than losses. Know what? So does Shaun Hill. Does that put an end to the discussion? Maybe not. But anyone who raises questions about whether VY is a winner has good cause to do so.

Kevin Kolb is quite un-proven overall at this point. I’ve acknowledged that over and over. Know what? I hear his name being linked with several different teams who are supposedly quite interested in him. I don’t hear VY being mentioned at all ( except here on this blog! ). Funny how there seems to be much more interested in Kolb…

Throw all the stats out there you want. I THINK that in the eyes of many around the NFL, the problems with VY are not with how he plays on the field. I THINK it has more to do with his attitude and personality. And when you’re talking about the QB position, attitude and personality mean everything. Face it, he has problems. Now, he may see the light someday and be a better QB because of it. I would like to see that, actually, because I think he has the skills to be a VERY good QB. But RIGHT NOW? Unfortunately, he has created a lot of doubt and ( I THINK ) has made people wary of him. You may disagree. As always, time will tell.

I’m not dead set against VY. But – like many other people – I see Kevin Kolb as a better fit and a better investment for the Cardinals. As I continue to hear the Cardinals named as the team that is most interested in Kolb, I’d say that maybe they do, too. Haven’t heard a word about them being interested in VY…

62. By drummer-1 on May 9, 2011 | Reply

@ cards62….

I don’t see this as the coaching was bad, i look at it as the season was bad as a hole.. the season haven’t even started yet, they can’t have any contact with the players, no coaching them whats so ever right now, so what are you baseing(spelled wrong) your opinion on. I’m the type of person thats says last is over lets see what happens this year, to me you can’t judge this year, by what happened last year.. I’d like to hear your thoughts..

63. By card62 on May 10, 2011 | Reply

drummer

Unless you have new coaches what makes you think the players will be coached any differently? Hopefully I am wrong and the coaches have learned from their mistakes, but until I see proof I have to see coaching and evaluating QBs as our teams weakness.

I definitely do not want to rehash the Leinart deal but facts are coach and gm were with him for several years and told us he was our guy until the end of preseason. If they wish to dump Leinart fine with me but do it when Kurt retires.

Second Most people knew our season was over with their replacement Derek Anderson and I said so at the time and this was true.

Third They went into the season with Anderson and 2 rookies and never picked up an experience QB during the season that we had a great chance to win the west.

Fourth They started max hall over John Skelton several times.

I hope I am wrong but I do not have a warm and fuzzy with our QB coach, offensive coordinator or head coach when it comes to mentoring and coaching QBs so I hope we get some experience guy who does not need coaching Palmer or Bulger. More risky but I like Orton, Kolb, and even vince young.

Have a good night.

2. Jun 16, 2011: Word From the Birds BlogBeanie: “I’m definitely not striking out” «