Going out on your own terms

Posted by Darren Urban on May 11, 2011 – 12:50 pm

The Cardinals wanted guard Alan Faneca to return in 2011, but he chose to retire (already losing almost 60 pounds this offseason). It’s an option most NFL players don’t get. Assistant head coach Russ Grimm went on Sports 620 KTAR and mentioned he too could have come back for one final season during his Hall-of-Fame career with the Redskins but went the same route as Faneca, deciding he simply couldn’t play at the level he wanted to play at any longer.

(Then again, sometimes guys go out when they are still playing at that level. Jim Brown, Barry Sanders and a certain quarterback that shall go unmentioned around these parts).

“It’s unusual but I commend Alan for being able to make that decision,” coach Ken Whisenhunt said. “I think the greatest percentage of guys that I have played with, that I have talked to during the years, always end up bitter at some point because they end up forced to leave the game before they are ready, or when their perception of themselves is different than how other people view them.

“I believe Alan can still play so I commend his values for thinking it was his time to call it quits and he went out on his own terms. It’s something not very many guys in this business get to do.”

Faneca did.

“Unfortunately we’ve seen two guys do that in the last two years, in Alan and Kurt,” Whisenhunt added with a small smile. “From a selfish perspective, that’s not what you want to see. But you understand that’s part of the game.”

Tags: , , ,

8 Responses to “Going out on your own terms”

1. By Peter in Canada on May 11, 2011 | Reply

Since he has lost almost 60 pounds (27 kilos in these parts), he had obviously decided to retire some time ago. I admire his dedication and intelligence in losing the weight. His programme listed weight is 316 which is great for playing on the offensive line but it is not great to be carrying around in retirement. I wish him well and it is good to see that he is doing the smart thing.

2. By Chris on May 11, 2011 | Reply

He gave us ONE year, big deal. Good luck in the future.

3. By whoknowsnothing on May 11, 2011 | Reply

And your Arizona Cardinals starting lineup is:
    T Brown, Levi
    G ?
    C ?
    G ?
    T ?

Thats right, who knows!!!! Do you think Ben Claxton, Rex Hadnot, Lyle Sendlein, Jeremy Bridges, Deuce Lutui, Tom Pestock, D’Anthony Batiste, and Brandon Keith are going to do the job. Well I don’t think so!!

Hopefully the Cards can get some help via Free Agency whenever that is.

4. By Scott H on May 11, 2011 | Reply

Truly a great player but he really didin’t have much left in the tank last year and being here for only one year, he never really carved out a place in my heart. But good for him and I wish him well.

Kurt being gone still kills me, though. When I see him on NFL Network, he still looks like he could put on a uniform and play at a moment’s notice! It is great to see guys like him go out on top…until you see what a mess your team is without him, and THEN you wish he could have given you ONE MORE YEAR!

5. By Pheenic Skii on May 11, 2011 | Reply

Good luck to Alan Faneca, but our O-line is an even bigger mess now.

We should go all-out in trying to get Logan Mankins. I doubt he’ll leave the Patriots, but it wouldn’t hurt to try to get him. Then, patch up the line as best as you can, and get a QB that’s mobile.

Kurt Warner could definitely pick up a ball and helmet and win 10+ games at a moment’s notice.

6. By CZarr on May 12, 2011 | Reply

Have to respect a man that can accept the inevitable before it is forced on him.

7. By DRC #1 FAN on May 12, 2011 | Reply

we gave up wells and gandy to get this guy and he retires? boooo you alan faneca. as an nfl fan I get the retirement. as an arizona fan all I have to say is why did you even come to arizona? to fatten your retirement check? allen faneca is nothing more htan another old snow bird in the dessert. doesnt deserve Cardinal reckognition for his one bad year in which he did nothing good for out team… in the short term and especially not in the long term. go to the jets or steelers and retire. what a waste of my season ticket money to pay that guys salary and retirement. what a jerk.

I do believe in our existing o-line and hope to see a few pieces added. time for russ grimm to live up to the hype and coach like he never has before.

8. By BMH on May 12, 2011 | Reply

Good player (Jets/steelers)…but we got seconds. Can’t say he will be remembered as having a lasting impression in AZ. Enjoy Retirement Faneca!