• Wed., Apr. 23, 2014 8:00AM - 2:00PM MST Cardinals Charities Golf Tournament Cardinals Charities Golf Tournament at Whirlwind Golf Club (5692 W North Loop Rd, Chandler, AZ 85226).
  • Wed., Apr. 23, 2014 5:00PM - 5:15PM MST 2014 NFL schedule released The 2014 NFL schedule is released. Check out all the details on azcardinals.com.
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Revisionist history

Posted by Darren Urban on May 12, 2011 – 11:04 am

As we maneuver through the offseason with little new to report, I’ve decided to look at what is old. More specifically, I plan to write a series of intermittent posts on moments/situations in Arizona Cardinals history that wouldn’t be bad to revisit. The idea is that I dig up newspaper articles at the time to show what was being said in the moment and link to them, with a little of my own analysis (and, assuming the moment happened in 2000 or more recent, that gives me a chance to link to my own articles).

What I’d like to know from you out there as readers is, what moments/situations would you like to revisit? It doesn’t necessarily have to be a game itself. I have some ideas — I’m trying to think outside the box a little bit — but I know I’m going to be looking for material for the time being. Let me know what you want. I’ve got an idea for the first one. Hopefully that’ll be posted later today or first thing tomorrow.

P.S. The latest “All In” webisode is posted, looking in depth at the pick of first-rounder Patrick Peterson. Check it out.

Tags: ,

53 Responses to “Revisionist history”

1. By Tony Hite on May 12, 2011 | Reply

2003 Season. Game 16. Last 10 Seconds of the game. Vikings lose. Our luck begins to turn.

2. By Seth on May 12, 2011 | Reply

I’d like to see some history around the Cards beating the Cowboys under Jake the Snake!

3. By Nick M. on May 12, 2011 | Reply

I have been a life long Cardinals fan and I am only 25 years old so I have grown up with the team through it all. My fondest memory, other than the entire 2008 season, was watching the team overcome odds and win, a record at the time, 7 out of their 9 games by 3 points or less and make it to the playoffs. I’ll never forget the Redskins home game and of course the Chargers clinching game.

Also, beating the hated Cowboys in the playoffs will always be a part of Arizona Cardinals lore. Hope this helps!

This video says it all, and yes I am such a die-hard fan I still have my chunk of goal line sod I took from Sun Devil Stadium.

4. By RelayTV on May 12, 2011 | Reply

I want to see what people were saying about the Jake Plummer Playoff run. Specifically when they beat the Cowboys in the playoffs.

5. By Barb wurzbach on May 12, 2011 | Reply

What happened to Jeff Blake? What were the circumstances that we thought he could help us win? I just remember him as our qback. Thanks

6. By moto11 on May 12, 2011 | Reply

Hi Darren. Great idea. How about draft talk on players the Card’s selected and items on how and where those players eventually turned out?

7. By MikeFlorio on May 12, 2011 | Reply

Start with the Emmit Smith signing and the impact that had for our team.
    Dave Mcginnis promoted to head coach
    Daves draft picks
    Dennis Green named head coach.
    Dennis Greens draft picks and building a foundation.
    Bryant and Boldin drafted, Bryant is a first round bust.
    Boldin Shatters Rookie Record for receptions goes to probowl
    Cards resign Fitzgerald
    Warner sign as a vet backup
    Whiz takes over a team built to throw, ala Minnesota Vikes under Green
    Whiz draft picks struggle??? and get cut
    Whiz loses much of a championship foundation, doesnt make playoffs

8. By Skiptim on May 12, 2011 | Reply

Darren -

Could you maybe find something talking about when Pat Tillman had to do the kickoff after the Bill Gramatica injury?

And if you could somehow link me to a video of the kickoff, you would hear me compliment your hypnotizing dark eyes.

9. By Jason on May 12, 2011 | Reply

some of the things I would be interested in is the build up to the vote on the new stadium. what was being said by the team, the get out to vote initiative, the fumble return that pretty much helped us get the stadium, etc.

i would also personally love to see articles and whatnot about the 9ers vs Cardinals game at Stadio Azteca in Mexico City. That was a cool game.

10. By Chris B on May 12, 2011 | Reply

Draft picks- example- on your posts of “bubble players” you listed Hyphen and Adams. You could do a “where are they now” type deal. Could also been done on bust but I think that’s over done.

What was said when Warner came in – about him and the team and what he was expected to do and what he did.

Training camp before and after the super bowl.

Games that defined seasons. ie- Cowboys/patriot game in 08, in 07 there was at least 3 game swhere we lost by 6 pts or less and went 8-8. jsut imagine if they fell our way…

As ideas come, I’ll post them

11. By Scotie 2 Hottie on May 12, 2011 | Reply

Aneas Williams & Larry Centers are two I would love to see stuff from. Video is always great but I know it might be difficult. I was a little boy when the Cards came to AZ so it would be fun for me to see stuff from when they came.

12. By D on May 12, 2011 | Reply

Well, we all will say when Pat Tillman left us for a greater cause and Denny’s Monday Night meltdown. And the greatest Cardinal playoff game versus the Packers. Can’t forget Gramtica’s injury…

13. By Lovethemcards on May 12, 2011 | Reply

Of course, revisiting our Superbowl run is always great (and hurtful, unfortunately as well), so I would enjoy that. In addition, I have two other ideas. How big of a difference the new stadium has made, versus ASU stadium, and I would like to revisit the playoff run we had with Jake Plummer at QB. That was a great run as well. So take from that what you wish.

14. By D on May 12, 2011 | Reply

also, Q first game as a pro in Detroit…

15. By VoiceofReason on May 12, 2011 | Reply

I suppose one piece of revisionist history, painful as it might be, that we may as well look at is the last play of the first half of the Super Bowl. There, inside the 5, we have a matchup of Larry Fitzgerald on McFadden or another subpar Pittsburgh corner. And rather than call and throw the fade that has worked 100% of the time all season, we throw a quick slant aiming for Boldin that is picked off and returned 100 yards by a 260 lb linebacker that somehow tiptoed the sideline.

Still painful to this day that:

1. We didn’t just call the fade. If we did, touchdown;

2. Warner couldn’t get Harrison out of bounds, or get in the way to slow him down to allow one of the other 10 cardinals on the field to shove him out of bounds;

3. Or the fact that he never stepped out of bounds in any event (still can’t believe that wasn’t looked at closer; or

4. Because it’s worth repeating, throw the fade. Only two possible things can happen if you run that play in that situation. First, and most likely, Fitz comes down with it for the touchdown. Second, incomplete pass.

I know Harrison actually missed the assignment, and I know he made an incredibly athletic play for which he should get some credit, but since we’re examining the old, I thought I’d throw it out there…

16. By Matt on May 12, 2011 | Reply

Darren I would like to see what was said about old draft picks and entire draft classes at the time and look at them now to see what was said

17. By Duane on May 12, 2011 | Reply

Anything regarding Kurt Warner. How he got here, how he won his starting spot, lost it then won it again. After all he resurrected this franchise.

18. By Robert B. Cooper on May 12, 2011 | Reply

I would like to see you connect the old Cardinals (St. Louis and Chicago) and their labor issues to the current Cardinals. It would be fun to observe and have the connection of the personalities and events of the players, coaches, and owners of those organizations and put that into perspective of the current labor situation.

19. By Paul H on May 12, 2011 | Reply

Darren, The big one for me is “What would have happened ” IF Neil Lomax didn’t injure his hip in the 12th game of the very first season 1988. Cards were in first place in NFC East but lost last 5 games with the backup who I can’t seem to remember. What if Cards would have gone far into the playoffs that first year. What if they would have had successful seasons the next few years. The whole perception of the team would have changed. The “same old cardinals” mantra would have never taken hold. It took years for the team to overcome that stigma with the Phoenix populace. We can only dream.

20. By EricY on May 12, 2011 | Reply

Warner’s reemergence as a starter in the NFL. With the ‘bionic’ arm and all.

21. By Ryan on May 12, 2011 | Reply

I would like to see the crazy back and forth game with Boomer Esiason throwing for 500 yards.

22. By CZarr on May 12, 2011 | Reply

Was the backup Tim Rosenbach?

23. By CZarr on May 12, 2011 | Reply

No, wait, Gary Hogeboom?

24. By Nick C on May 12, 2011 | Reply

There is one thing about the Cardinals 2011 draft that I keep coming back to. Think about this:

- The Cardinals said they drafted the highest rated player on their board at #5, Patrick Peterson. The Cardinals also said Peterson was #5 on their big board.

- If Patrick Peterson was #5 on their big board and they took him at #5…then deduction tell us Cam Newton must have been in their top 4…

What would we all be talking about if the Cards took Newton? Which, by their own admission is what they would have done if he had been available (based on their highest ranked player mentality). And what does that say about which QB they might sign in free agency??

25. By Brandon LA on May 12, 2011 | Reply

again i am liking these All In episodes. Keep it up. More please

The lengths are good. good access to the facilities, coaches and hopefully players soon. Feel like I am getting to know my team better. Killing it! Thanks Cardinals video team.

26. By ross on May 12, 2011 | Reply

What about when we drafted Hightower, and everyone said “who????”

27. By Flood on May 12, 2011 | Reply

Can we look at the effect Aeneas Williams fumble return and win over the Redskins may have turned the opinion of the state when voting on the new stadium. The new stadium was as big a key in the franchise’ turn around as anything. Thanks Aeneas!

28. By Darren Urban on May 12, 2011 | Reply

Flood –

RE: Idea on Aeneas return

Great idea.

29. By drummer-1 on May 12, 2011 | Reply

Darren

How about doing a story about Roy Green switch from DB to Reciever, or whats going on with E.J. Junior these days.. I remember my band was doing a gig at a club in St.Louis and EJ came in with a couple of friends they were all cool people.

30. By Darren Urban on May 12, 2011 | Reply

Drummer –

RE: Roy Green switch

We will see. I’m trying to keep this to after the team moved. My resources going further back — both with actual articles and my own institutional knowledge — gets harder once we get pre-1988.

31. By BrendanM on May 12, 2011 | Reply

Just like Nick M I am a long time fan of the Cards, born in ’88 and was at the Redskin game that season so my parents started me off right. I still have a full box of programs from the last game that was ever played in Sun Devil Stadium. Hope we get to watch them this year!

32. By skeltonfan on May 12, 2011 | Reply

When whiz comes to town.

33. By Michael M on May 13, 2011 | Reply

Larry’s big plays in the 2008 Superbowl run.

Packers-Cardinals

Last years matchup Cardinals and Dallas. DRC and Toler return two interceptions for touchdowns Feely ends it with a FG Gamewinning kick

34. By Jeff Gollin on May 13, 2011 | Reply

The Suggs for B Johnson and Calvin Pace Trade Down Debacle.

What were we thinking? Why did we do it? Where did we go wrong? What did we learn from it?

Second Revisionist History Topic:

The metamorphosis from the Coach Mac “Draft Target Players One Level Higher” (to make certain you get ‘em) philosophy to the Dennis Green ( & later) “Draft for Value/Modified BPA” approach to drafting.

35. By Scott H on May 13, 2011 | Reply

Darren -

How far back can we go here? How ‘ bout a Monday Night game back in 1977 between the Cardinals and the un-beaten Cowboys, who I think were 8-0 at the time. I was 12 at the time! Parents let me stay up late to watch the game. The Cowboys thoroughly dominated the first 3 quarters and were ahead by 3 TD’s going into the 4th. Then, Jim Hart led the Cardiac Cards on 3 4th quarter scoring drives and the Cardinals won the game. I went to school the next day wearing every piece of Cardinals clothing I owned. Now, THAT was a game to remember!

36. By Darren Urban on May 13, 2011 | Reply

Scott H -

RE: Going back

To be honest, as I have mentioned before, I am trying to stick to events since the team moved the Arizona.

37. By Scott H on May 14, 2011 | Reply

Darren -

OK. Several games come to mind but most of my favoriies are wins against the Eagles since I live out here in Eagles country and hate them passionately. How ’bout the season opener in Philly in 1999? I was at the game, and it was Andy Reid’s first game as their head coach. The Eagles were ahead 21-6 at one point. But in the second half – as they always did when Plummer was here – the Cardinals began to chip away. Eagles had the ball late and really just needed to play keep-away to seal the win. Instead, they went for a long pass play, it was bobbled by Brian Finneran and intercepted by kwamie Lassiter ( I think ). Plummer brought them down the field, they scored a TD to tie the game at 24-24, and the Cards kicked the extra point as time expired to win 25-24. I LOVED IT!!! It seemed that Jake Plummer made a habit of kicking the Eagles in the gut with late game miracles. I remember several others.

38. By Jim in Missouri on May 15, 2011 | Reply

I’ll second Paul H’s request for the Neil Lomax injury in the first season in Arizona, which would up ending his career, and I contend spiraling what could have been a franchise finally on the rise into the depths of (at best) mediocrity for most of the next 2 decades.

39. By Dick Buroker on May 17, 2011 | Reply

1970 Monday Night Football. Cardinals score their 3rd shutout in a row by beating Dallas 38-0.

2. Jun 1, 2011: Word From the Birds BlogRevisionist History: Warner’s arrival «
  3. Jun 1, 2011: Word From the Birds BlogRevisionist History: The end for Lomax «
  4. Jun 1, 2011: Word From the Birds BlogRevisionist History: The stadium game «
  5. Jun 3, 2011: Word From the Birds BlogRevisionist History: Charging into the ’98 playoffs «
  6. Jun 7, 2011: Word From the Birds BlogRevisionist History: Boomer’s 522-yard day «
  7. Jun 14, 2011: Word From the Birds BlogRevisionist History: Gramatica’s Giant leap «
  8. Jun 17, 2011: Word From the Birds BlogRevisionist History: Draft Daze «
  9. Jun 21, 2011: Word From the Birds BlogRevisionist History: Aeneas authors Young’s last chapter «
  10. Jun 23, 2011: Word From the Birds BlogRevisionist History: Whiz’s arrival «
  11. Jun 28, 2011: Word From the Birds BlogRevisionist History: Denny’s thoughts on the Bears «
  12. Jun 29, 2011: Word From the Birds BlogRevisionist History: Once upon a time in Mexico «
  13. Jul 1, 2011: Word From the Birds BlogRevisionist History: Tillman Joins The Army «
  14. Jul 15, 2011: Word From the Birds BlogRevisionist History: A playoff pounding in Dallas «
  15. Sep 15, 2011: Word From the Birds BlogRevisionist History: Fitz’s magical month «