Vernon, Dockett and Cards-Niners

Posted by Darren Urban on May 16, 2011 – 4:16 pm

Even with very little going on right now around the league, there apparently still be a little trash talk going on between 49ers tight end Vernon Davis and Cards’ defensive lineman Darnell Dockett. Well, at least from Davis, who mentioned he’d like to take on Dockett in a steel cage match. Of course, it should be noted those kinds of “matches” are for pro wrestling, where everything is staged. As has been mentioned before, Dockett and Davis are good friends, both having grown up in Maryland. Having them war with words is a little like hearing Paul Calvisi and Ron Wolfley verbally attack one another.

Dockett, just about a year ago, even clarified some Twitter bombs he was lobbing both at Davis and the Niners.

Now, the rivalry between Davis and safety Adrian Wilson, that’s another story. Or so I thought. I believed there was some bad blood between the two. That’s always how A-Dub came across. Then I watched Davis praise Wilson for the recent NFL Network stuff naming Wilson one of the top 100 players in the league, and I began to wonder.

Not that Wilson — or Dockett, for that matter — would let up on Davis in a game.

Tags: , , , , ,

29 Responses to “Vernon, Dockett and Cards-Niners”

1. By Phoenixraven1 on May 16, 2011 | Reply

Give us some football greedy *^%# !!!

2. By Stephen on May 16, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren, I read your blogs alot but I am really confused on why Arizona would draft Patrick Peterson when Blaine Gabbert was AZ’s fo the taking and we already have Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (my favorite player). Any idea. GO CARDS THIS IS THE YEAR

3. By Darren Urban on May 16, 2011 | Reply

Stephen —

RE: Peterson instead of Gabbert

Ultimately, the Cards didn’t believe he was a franchise QB.

4. By Lone-Eagle on May 16, 2011 | Reply

I am going to sit here and completely agree with Phoeniixraven1!! I am so sick of this nonsense about money. These players are making more money than most of us blue collars will ever see in a life time. These owners are stinkin multi-millionaires and they have to have more. Meanwhile all of us fans who enjoy this game so much have to wonder if there is even going to be football. Thank goodness for H.S. and college football. At least they are playing for the love of the game. Right now it doesn’t matter who is right or wrong, both the NFL and PA are wrong. Shame on both of you. Football should have already have started by now. If this goes on any longer, americas favorite pasttime will go back to being baseball. Not that there is anything wrong with it, but personally my first love if FOOTBALL. Also Darren, on a sidenote, is there any truth to the rumor of Patrick Peterson for Kolb? If so, really stupid decision!!

5. By joe on May 16, 2011 | Reply

I haven’t seen it anywhere but message board’s but its popping up alot so imma ask. Is there anything to this dockett for orton trade rumor or is it just whishful thinking from broncos fans if dockett gets bumped i would be extremely dissapointed.

6. By Darren Urban on May 16, 2011 | Reply

Joe —

RE: Dockett trade

Darnell isn’t going anywhere.

7. By Brad Wheeler on May 16, 2011 | Reply

Hopefully Horton can teach Wilson how to play coverage cause he always get beat by TE’s, specially V Davis!

8. By georgiebird on May 16, 2011 | Reply

Vernon Davis praising A-dub is garbage. Players have a way of saying anything but the truth.
    Any praise by the 49ers for A-dub should come on the field. A
    form of praise would be not throwing against A-dub on 3rd down plays (the opposite could be true).
    One of the few Cardinals, in recent years, to elevate his game against the 49ers was Josh McCown.

9. By dan on May 16, 2011 | Reply

49ers have owned us lately.

10. By AndyStandsUp on May 16, 2011 | Reply

Dockett must be an article waiting to write every time he opens his mouth.
    But with Faneca retired and Porter probably gone, who on the Cards will be the quotemakers this season? Whiz, for sure, but leaders Fitz and Wilson seem reserved.
    Darren?

11. By Ray on May 16, 2011 | Reply

Patrick peterson was the best athlete in the draft! arizona needs more d as we noticed this year with out antrell role or karlos dansby! peterson would make a great pass coverage double threat wit D.R.C. (also my fav athlete) and adrian wilson. we got john skelton who has a great arm that can achieve great goals if we work wit him more! also theres rumors of mark bulger to the cards! but all will have to come down to the futre. the cards football club know why the drafted who they did for a special reason. but it will all come down to this upcoming season if there is one. other than that go cards!

12. By Darren Urban on May 16, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Quotemakers

Good question.

13. By Ray on May 16, 2011 | Reply

Oh and us fans want football! its the only excuse why not to go to church jk but can you at least have some more college football like sunday games! and maybe even some high school games on national tv

14. By Jon L. on May 16, 2011 | Reply

I would have to take Davis in the steel cage match. See, this is what happens when there is still a lockout!

15. By Bryan on May 16, 2011 | Reply

Darren is there any chance that the cardinals go after Orton? Many people may not believe he’s a good quarterback but he threw over 3000 yards and missed the last three game of the season so he might ahve even gotten 4000 plus. What are your thoughts?

16. By Andre on May 16, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren, with the recent news regarding the NFL LOCKOUT I am now boycotting the NFL. So I won’t read anything you have to write until the lockout is lifted. I won’t be listening to any podcasts or KTAR radio. Sorry and I hope you pass this on to the owners and players.

Goodbye NFL,

Andre

17. By d on May 16, 2011 | Reply

Any plans for your week “break” coming up?

18. By Haggis Bob on May 16, 2011 | Reply

RE: Quotemakers

I have to believe there will be vocalizing coming from the new and improved secondary… at the very very least

19. By concerned citizen on May 16, 2011 | Reply

To be fair, something like 60% of the nfl lives paycheck to paycheck. Don’t just assume everyone makes salaries like starters. This lockout goes beyond money as well. They players are negotiating how many regular season games there are (owners pushing for 18 game season and players for the 16 game season). There are also issues with the cba that could greatly impact the free agency. Ultimately, we can bitch about what is going on, but football can never be locked out like the nhl because of the impact it has on the economy. The gdp of american rises ~3-4 billion a super bowl. There’s just too much money to be lost. And that, my friend, is one reason America is great.

20. By Walter L on May 17, 2011 | Reply

@AndyStands:

Dockett of course. I think Peterson could have his fair share of quotes in the near future.

21. By Fred on May 17, 2011 | Reply

It’s a shame that we have to keep speculating about things that should have already happened as far as getting our team ready for the season. From where I sit, this whole mess isn’t about money. It’s about control. It seems the whole concept of employer/employee has been lost.

22. By BMH on May 17, 2011 | Reply

Until football gets over there stupid lawsuit/ lockout. I honestly could care less about there personal quarles/issues. The fans are the ones suffering here and were talking about a cage matches between two football players…?? We could speculate all year and end up with no football or qb at this rate. The “what-if’s go on and on!

23. By Darren Urban on May 17, 2011 | Reply

Bryan —

RE: Orton

Yes, I think that will be explored.

24. By Darren Urban on May 17, 2011 | Reply

D —

RE: “Break”

Not yet. Won’t be on the blog, though.

25. By cards62 on May 17, 2011 | Reply

I can not believe someone wrote that 60% of the NFL live paycheck to paycheck.
    Are you kidding me? What is the mean salary of an NFL player?
    Lets talk about minimum salary. What is it $ 365K ? Am I suppose to feel sorry for someone who can not budget $ 365K a year? Should we hold a can food drive for the NFL Players and Owners?

I believe in the American system and I hate this like all of you, but I believe in the players rights and owners rights to work this out to their benefit. We vote by watching or not and how we spend our money. I plan on watching when this ends as I love pro football but the system works great now and gives us a very competitive product so I hope the changes are minor, and I am fine with 16 regular season games and 2 preseason games. We know the best teams after 16 games. The reason football is so great is that we do not have to go thru 162 regular season baseball games or 80+ basketball or hockey matches and then playoffs that drag out forever. Many a time less is more and rare is valuable and common is devalued. I hope the NFL remembers life’s lesson forgotten by the other major sports.

Go Cards.

26. By Scott H on May 17, 2011 | Reply

I agree with all those who are tired of this crap that is going on with the NFL. And when this thing is finally resolved, I hope the fans make their un-happiness known in whatever way they can. I think it would be great for fans in every city to boycott the first game of the season ( whenever that is ) and stay home. Imagine how embarrasing that would be for the NFL to have nothing but empty stadiums showing up on TV!. I would love to see it because it would send a message to the NFL that they can’t just kick us like dogs because they know we’ll come crawling back. Pro sports has been getting out of control for a long time and this is as out of control as it gets. The arroagance of these owners is absolutely appauling, to be taking a stance like this when people ( including milllions of NFL fans ) are being hit so hard by this economy. What a bunch of jerks.

27. By Haggis Bob on May 17, 2011 | Reply

Are there expenses the players incur that their team or the league does not cover? Transportation, food, beverage, room and board, shoes and other outerwear, fees or taxes? We know some players get (and lose) endorsements which equal money and/or stuff but what about the rest of the guys. I always assumed everything was covered.

28. By Michael M on May 18, 2011 | Reply

When Free Agency is open for business again, I would hope we would go after one of these players
    -Plaxico Burress.. He shot himself who cares, hes out soon and wont be wanting to go back, Could be a playmaker
    -Moss or Owens
    -Raiders All-Pro CB, DRC and Peterson, Wilson, Rhodes with Nnamdi, Crazy good secondary, teams would have to run the ball.
    -Marc Bulger(hope we get orton) helps skelton prepare more and be ready
    -Julian Peterson is just a linebacker who could be a role player in the cards D’ stopping the run and pressuring the QB but hes in either his 12th or 13th season now
    Darren do you know of any linebackers that standout to you in free agency?

29. By Darren Urban on May 18, 2011 | Reply

Michael M —

RE: Linebackers

As I have said before, it’s hard to tell what players will be free because we do not know the rules. Someone suggested Tampa’s Barrett Ruud. I suppose that’s possible.