The Grand Cannon, and Warner rehab

Posted by Darren Urban on May 17, 2011 – 3:09 pm

Talking ex-quarterbacks on a Tuesday afternoon, since it doesn’t seem like were close to the time when the Cards can acquire their 2011 version:

Writing about Neil Lomax – and more importantly, seeing “Greg” on the comments refer to The Grand Cannon – reminded me of my brush with Lomax before Lomax ever played a down in Arizona. It was the summer of 1988, the Cardinals had just moved to the Valley, and my best friend Todd had gotten me some part-time work for an outfit called “Events With Tents.” Basically, the company erected giant open tents and then put on whatever event might be held. We’d help with whatever was going on under the tent.

In this case, Lomax was signing autographs for a home builder. So in the heat of June or July – at least, I’m pretty sure it was then, and it was hot – Todd and I drove out to the middle of the desert in Todd’s car that had no air conditioning to hang out with Lomax under a tent. We had lemonade to serve, but I remember very few people showing up over the two-hour deal. So mostly, we had random conversation with Lomax as he asked us about going to college and we talked to him about football. Plus he signed a giant poster of himself for each of us – Lomax standing in uniform on the edge of the state’s greatest natural monument, with three words at the bottom: “The Grand Cannon.”

(A quick aside for those who live locally: Todd and I both lived in Scottsdale and in those days, freeway travel was infrequent because the Valley didn’t have many. Plus there was little reason to go south for us. I remember getting on I-10 toward the development, going south and as we got off the exit where there seemed to be nothing but dirt everywhere, I said to Todd, “Ray Road? Who the heck would ever want to live out here?” I remember that every time I am stuck in traffic at Ray and the freeway.)

– This morning, Kurt Warner tweeted out his big day, noting part of it was rehab – which gave me pause. Rehab? The man hasn’t played NFL football since that day in New Orleans in January, 2010. I know he took a beating all those years, but …

Turns out Kurt said he still has tendinitis from his “Dancing With The Stars” stint. At least he was honest. It’s becoming clear that show can be health-hazardous, for football players and their partners.

Tags: ,

16 Responses to “The Grand Cannon, and Warner rehab”

1. By MikeG on May 17, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren –Neat Tent story with Lomax and your friend. On an aside–What specific injury did Timm Rosenbach have for the Card’s back in the early 1990’s. I believe they expected him to succeed Lomax–he had one good year then fell to injuries! Did he have a leg injury or did he suffer from concussions??? This is when the turnstile of QB’S began for the Card’s!!!!!!!!!!

2. By Darren Urban on May 17, 2011 | Reply

MikeG —

RE: Rosenbach

I have to look. But IIRC, Rosenbach missed a season because he tore an ACL at the end of the preseason and later retired mainly because he simply didn’t want to play football anymore.

3. By Skiptim on May 17, 2011 | Reply

Darren –

You wrote before that Rod Graves said that Peterson was 5th on our board. Wouldn’t that have to mean that he was the highest left on the board when we took him? Doesn’t that mean that we would have taken either of the 4 players taken 1-4 had they been there?

4. By Darren Urban on May 17, 2011 | Reply

Skiptim —

RE: Top 5

Graves did say that, but I think he misspoke and Peterson was actually in the top four. As for whether they would have taken any of the others, that I do not know.

5. By Fitz4mtrushmore on May 17, 2011 | Reply

Darren, Thx 4 bringing up memories of Neil. I still wear my Lomax jersey proudly here in Dallas…still have that poster too…2 bad he hurt his knee & hip in ’88 cause that team was as good or better as the 2008 team IMO. Who knows what could’ve happened had he stayed healthy.

6. By D on May 17, 2011 | Reply

I have been stuck on Pima road for two hours during a monsoon/dust storm around Indian School, a two lane road before the freeway was completed in the early 90’s thinking, why is traffic so bad…
    D-were you with the team in the 90’s when they went as a team to the movie theaters either on ray or chandler to watch Jerry McGuire?

7. By Darren Urban on May 18, 2011 | Reply

D —

RE: Movie trip

That was before my time.

8. By cards62 on May 18, 2011 | Reply

The Grand Cannon – Now that is a cool poster. I remember when we drafted Neil from Portland State and remember that he was single in his early years and Roy Green was married so Roy and the wife would have Neil over to dinner often in hopes that Neil would feed Roy the ball a little more often. Neil and Jim Hart were my two favorite QBs. I believe Jim Hart also did not have anything to do with the Cardinals after he left and went to work as an announcer for the Chicago Bears.
    Am I remembering this correctly as I always thought this was strange.

Darren thanks for the great stories lately and concerning great Freddies whatever happen to our greatest Freddie? Freddie Joe Nunn I believe we drafted in the first round from a southern school.

Go Cards

9. By Richard on May 18, 2011 | Reply

Good memories! I too am another one who still has a Lomax shirt & it still looks good – shame I can’t fit in it any more!!!

10. By R Robles on May 18, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren I know we dont have any PRIME Time games at all this season. (Very Dissapointing) Do you think were gonna have to earn one like we did 2 years ago Vs the Vikings?

11. By Darren Urban on May 18, 2011 | Reply

R Robles —

RE: Earning primetime

Well, since there are no others on the schedule, yes, if they are going to have one, they will have to “earn” it.

12. By georgiebird on May 18, 2011 | Reply

great Cardinal duos

Neil Lomax to Roy Green (the best)
    Jim Hart to Mel Gray
    Kurt Warner to Larrry Fitzgerald (short but great run)
    Charley Johnson to Sonny Randle

13. By jocards on May 18, 2011 | Reply

No primetime games on the schedule?….That’s the least of our worries, at this rate there might end up being no games at all on the schedule. I know there is time to get the CBA issues worked out but every single day that passes makes the possibility of losing regular season games more plausible. Don’t think for a minute that the league and the NFLPA would not be willing to sacrifice games in order for their side to “win”, I assure you they are more than capable of going that far. I certainly hope it doesn’t come to that put it is possible.

14. By georgiebird on May 18, 2011 | Reply

Crazy question but of great importance-

If there is no season in 2011, what is the draft order in 2012?

15. By Darren Urban on May 18, 2011 | Reply

Georgiebird —

RE: 2012 draft

That has not been determined, but in the end, I believe it’s a moot point.

16. By joe67 on May 19, 2011 | Reply

Georgiebird,

Great combos. Don’t remeber Johnson/Randle as well as the others, but heard alot. Still love the mid ’70’s.
    I have the greatest of respect for Jim Hart, and remember Lomax coming up and challenging for the starting job. Didn’t like him much until Jimmy left, then thought he was okay. Then the Cards left in 87 (I gave up my season tix in 86), so never got to see him play alot.
    Many probably don’t know, “84 was a good year. Last game of year, we win, we get Div. Loose, nothing. Neil O’Donohue missed a 47 yarder on the last play of game. Then next year became obvious the Cards would move soon.