Feeling familiar

Posted by Darren Urban on May 19, 2011 – 3:26 pm

While everyone waits for the league year to start — and, at its root, waits for the Cardinals to have a chance to figure out its quarterback situation — the possibilities remain open speculation. Suddenly, it begins to feel very familiar.

In fact, as I read about how NFL Network analyst Michael Lombardi felt about Kevin Kolb during a Sports 620 KTAR interview this morning, and how Kolb has generated a range of believers and non-believers when it comes to his abilities and what it could mean to the Cardinals if there indeed was a trade here, it felt very deja vu. Is Kolb the right guy? What’s he worth in a trade? Is what the Eagles want and what the Cards (assuming they’d want Kolb) are willing to give up at least in the same ballpark? Hard to know, given Kolb’s relatively short career and seven NFL starts.

This is about more than Kolb, though. So many questions are flying around about Marc Bulger too, and he’s got a much longer resume. And Donovan McNabb and Kyle Orton and even Carson Palmer. I realized it reminded me so much of the ramp-up before a draft when it comes to quarterbacks. Obviously, the veterans have played in the league, but this feels a lot like how Blaine Gabbert and Cam Newton and Ryan Mallett, etc., were deconstructed over and over. Such as Sam Bradford last year.

It’s the position, of course. It’s the position and the importance it carries and, this offseason, its the days of dead time that allows for possible paralysis by analysis. The trade market for a player like Kolb doesn’t hurt either; unlike the draft, there is someone on the other side of the equation (the Eagles, in this case) hoping Kolb’s value is driven up during all these discussions.

Like the draft, however, it’ll be impossible to know what any of these quarterbacks could really do in a different situation until they get to a new place. Until someone gets here to Arizona. The naysayers could be right about Kolb, for instance. But like the draft, that’s why a team has scouts. They scout veteran players too. You have to assume, whichever player the Cards chase, they believe he will be successful. Why else get him?

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

30 Responses to “Feeling familiar”

1. By fighting bird on May 19, 2011 | Reply

I think we should try to get Carson Palmer .Like Warner said ,hes still got alot still in his tank and plus hes got alot to prove ,well atleast to himself and non-believers.

2. By D on May 19, 2011 | Reply

Best option, give a 2nd rounder for Orten-can learn the playbook fast (smart), he is accurate and can be the leader this offense needs.

Bulger= scared of his shadow. Would love to play in TN
    Kolb- cost doesn’t justify production-staying in Phily
    McNabb= done as starter-good luck in MN
    Palmer= Cincy won’t trade and if a miracle happens
    not worth a first round pick for maybe two year stint

3. By Phoenixraven1 on May 19, 2011 | Reply

Like so many fans I’m just growing tired of the “talk” because nothing can be done. I will start paying closer attention when and if this drama is over!

4. By Rodgerscromartie17 on May 19, 2011 | Reply

trade hightower for kolb

5. By brad oneill on May 19, 2011 | Reply

Kolb would be fine, palmer would be fine, bulger would be fine! I just want someone who can look off dbs and be resonably.accurate I still think mx hall and skelton could be great but they need practice and time!

6. By AndyStandsUp on May 19, 2011 | Reply

Kolb, Palmer, McNabb and Orton are signed, so for 3 of the 4 you’re talking major picks given up to consummate a deal. And Carson and Donovan are only a stopgap making this decision come again sooner rather than later.
    As far as the FAs, Bulger will likely ask for starter money and at mid 30′s, is another short term solution and probably won’t sign unless “guaranteed” a starter spot.
    Unless AZ thinks Skelton is the answer, my guess would be a veteran FA as 2nd string(like Tavaris Jackson or Young over Bulger) and Kolb or Orton for 2012 first and 2013 second.

7. By dave on May 19, 2011 | Reply

Ya and our scouts picked DA….that worked out great

8. By Paul H on May 19, 2011 | Reply

Hard to say what Kolb would bring to the table after seven starts. But I will say watching him play, he doesn’t look nervous. His body language shows that he is very confident when he’s playing. Not sure if that translates to victories but it’s something that stands out about him.

9. By CtownBeatDown on May 19, 2011 | Reply

If Orton is such an accurate, smart, leader. Then why are the broncos trading him, and starting Tim Tebow? TIM TEBOW!!!

10. By Big Red on May 19, 2011 | Reply

We don’t need anybody, when we have John Skelton. I know he will make you all, forget about all this so call saviors. Once the season starts you all will be in line to buy the “SKELTON” jersey 19.

11. By Eazy E on May 19, 2011 | Reply

McNabb will don a cardinals uniform hopefully!!!

12. By bluepitt on May 19, 2011 | Reply

“They scout veteran players too. You have to assume, whichever player the Cards chase, they believe he will be successful. Why else get him?”
    hahahahaha 2 leters for ya: DA…Nuf said!
    Darren you steped in that one…lol

13. By Fiddler on May 20, 2011 | Reply

I just don’t see how anyone could want Bulger in AZ. His last three years of playing time: less than 60% comp, 27 TDs, 34 Picks, and one reason for those stats is that he was pounded and beaten mercilessly. I just, in now way at all, would want him here.

14. By stevedco on May 20, 2011 | Reply

How many players of the week awards did Kolb win in his 7 starts? I be,ieve it was 2.

How many wasted picks on QBs happen every year? I would give up a 1st next year and a provisional pick of 2nd to 4th depending on starts, wins and stats on Kolb for the year.

A decent QB will win the division and Kolb will best the best QB in the NFCW so any picks we give up will be towards the bottom of the round.

Darren, will you be affected by the week long unpaid vacations that the Bidwill’s are forcing employees to take?

I Cards are going to need to come out swinging to shake off the cheap stigma again.

I can honesty say I’m fed up with this lockout. The players are being lead by a moron and even staunch Republicans like Feely are embracing Smith socialist agenda.

The owners aren’t doing much better in this mess but at least they have made two offers to the players.

As a diehard NFL I’m disgusted by this mess and will have a hard time coming back like to the game. I attend 1 or 2 Cards games a year which living in Denver isn’t always easy and was planning on spending a week in Flagstaff this year to watch camp and try and get a Fitz and ADub jersey signed but now I just can’t see planning that trip even for 2012.

Some smart players need to stand up and say enough is enough and make this happen. Unfortunately I believe the players won’t stand up to Smith until they start missing game checks which puts the Cards in a terrible spot to find a starting QB for 2011.

15. By Darren Urban on May 20, 2011 | Reply

Everyone –

RE: DA

True, I cannot deny the OK was given for Anderson. Two points to make, however. 1) Scouts aren’t always correct. There is always a risk. 2) DA was brought in to be a backup to Leinart. Not a starter.

16. By Darren Urban on May 20, 2011 | Reply

SteveDCO –

RE: Next week

I will be out of the office.

17. By Scharf on May 20, 2011 | Reply

1. Hightower is our best back, trading him would be a mistake, especially because his production has increased more and more each year. Even with a bad line, he managed 700+ rushing yards. While he can run, he can also block, catch, and possibly be a backup kicker. 2. All of these quarterbacks come with Question marks, but I believe Kolb and Bulger would provide a veteran presence on our team. 2.A. Kolb brings with him promise, as well as youth. Learning the system now, and possibly becoming a starter for quite awhile. 2.B. Bulger brings an extensive resume, and while he had some bad years. Was able to rest this year which makes you wonder, will he revert back to his glory days? (Kurt Warner Comeback) I personally don’t know who to choose because I don’t know who would fit our system better.

Darren – who do you think fits the Cardinals scheme better out of the Quarterbacks mentioned in the Article.

18. By Darren Urban on May 20, 2011 | Reply

Scharf –

RE: Best fit

For me, so hard to tell. Bulger’s skill set to me seems to fit better than Kolb, but if Bulger’s age is too much of a hindrance, what’s the point? I will be honest, I have never seen enough of Kolb to really have an idea what he brings to the table.

19. By Scharf on May 20, 2011 | Reply

I believe your right. I haven’t seen too much of Kolb either, but I have watched what few highlights I could find on NFL and YouTube. He can make some pretty difficult throws and can move around the pocket pretty comfortably. There was a play where he avoided a sack and made a throw to the back of the endzone for a TD. I think with some more practice he could be all he is cracked up to be. But! First the lockout needs to end before anything can happen unfortunately.

Are you going to do any articles relating to Unofficial Cardinals Workouts?

20. By Darren Urban on May 20, 2011 | Reply

Scharf –

RE: Workout articles

Given the labor situation, I cannot.

21. By stevedco on May 20, 2011 | Reply

Damn Darren that stinks.

I’m sure it’s not a real happy feeling around the facility right now with so many people taking what amounts to a 2% pay cut becuase a bunch of rich players and even richer owners are fighting over money.

I know fans are disgusted with this lockout. I’d imagine employees of NFL teams are even worse as it is affecting their lives not just their entertainment.

22. By Mario on May 20, 2011 | Reply

Kolb…give me a break. The guy is a back up. He’s been groomed in the Philly system to take over and still lost his job. If there was any real starter value in Kolb, Philly wouldn’t be trading him.

23. By former AZ.resident on May 20, 2011 | Reply

If they brink kolb in as a starter and trade a 1st rounder to the eagles and give kolb a hefty pay and fitz also, would it be hard to get good linemen in free agency due to the amount of money they would give to kolb and fitz? That’s why I don’t think that kolb, palmer would be our quaterback it might be bulger or orton what do u think darren

24. By Darren Urban on May 20, 2011 | Reply

FormerAz –

RE: Money

I think after last season — and I know some are going to roll their eyes here — money is going to be the biggest factor. There is always a budget, but I think they will try to get a good lineman or two and I think how that turns out will not impact what quarterback they chase, and vice versa.

25. By brad oneill on May 20, 2011 | Reply

Not that it is any of my business but how stupid is it for a team to hurt their lowest paid employees because the highest paid ones are being difficult. I understand cutting head coach salaries but does the video guy, the blogger, and the night watchmen make enough to significantly effect the bottom line.

Not to mention that darren is the only aspect.of the nfl that is still working for me as a fan. Life may not be fair but come on bidwiills don’t be stupid.

26. By NJazCardsFan on May 20, 2011 | Reply

I heard on ESPN this afternoon the Cards are laying off most of their office staff and the coaches are having to take a 35% pay cut until the lockout is over. Are you going to be affected? Will you be able to continue posting here?

27. By Darren Urban on May 20, 2011 | Reply

NJaz –

RE: Posting

I will be resuming posting in a week.

28. By Scott H on May 21, 2011 | Reply

Mario -

Been paying attention at all, dude??? Doesn’t sound like you have, judging by your post. Kolb “lost” his job because he was pile driven into the ground ( head first ) by Clay Matthews in Week One last season and then HAD TO stay on the bench when Michael Vick came in and played at an MVP level. No one saw that coming but do you REALLY think the Eagles could have put Vick back on the bench at that point??? If yes, I don’t know where your head could possibly be ( well, I have an idea, but I can’t say it here ) NO FRIGGIN’ WAY the Eagles could possibly bench Vick, the way he was playing. And NO FRIGGIN’ way the Eagles aren’t sticking with Vick as their starter now.

Kolb is being put on the trading block because he has TREMENDOUIS value RIGHT NOW and the Eagles need help in a ton of areas RIGHT NOW. His value will never be higher and the Eagles aren’t gonna’ waste this opportunity to cash in by keeping him there as a back-up. Make sense? C’mon, man…it didn’t exactly take a slide rule to figure this out.

29. By MooseVA on May 24, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren, You any good at throwing the ball?

30. By Darren Urban on May 29, 2011 | Reply