Talking more Kolb

Posted by Darren Urban on May 30, 2011 – 7:52 pm

What’d I miss?

I know of one thing: Kevin Kolb showed up to some of the workouts Eagles players were having, so naturally, he was asked about being traded. And the quarterback said what would be expected, that he wants to be a starter and he wished he already knew where he’d be playing in 2011. No, nothing really is different from the last time I talked about Kolb. Or the time before that. There is little question, as in the dead of this offseason Kolb continues to be dissected over and over, there is a immovable object/irresistible force feel to Kolb’s situation, whenever it plays out.

Take the Cards, for instance. We all know they need a quarterback, and while it’s impossible to know what they a) are willing to give up for a QB right now and b) think about the worth of Kolb, it’s fair to think they will consider Kolb heavily. In theory, the Eagles are dealing from a certain position of strength there, with the Cards or an other team. They don’t have to trade Kolb, after all.

But Kolb’s impending free agent status after 2011 looms large, regardless of the collective poker face the Eagles may want to put on. It may allow the Eagles to talk about getting enough to offset the reality Kolb could be the ultimate Michael Vick insurance policy. In the end, though, it’s hard to believe Philly won’t want to get something for Kolb ahead of time. What’s the more palatable risk: A backup-less Vick and an extra draft pick or two, or letting Kolb sit around all season — and assume Vick will get hurt — before letting him walk?

Tags: , ,

48 Responses to “Talking more Kolb”

1. By JoeVero on May 30, 2011 | Reply

Welcome back, Darren :D,
    Did you find out about the Alan Faneca interaction situation?

2. By Anand Patel on May 30, 2011 | Reply

Darren

Any concern over the type of offense Andy Reid runs (west coast) vs what Whiz and the cards do and how long it will take Kolb to get comfortable with? Any thoughts on what Mike Miller and KW feel about this?

Thanks

3. By Raymond on May 30, 2011 | Reply

Oh god no.

I think Kolb is horrible. The cards would be better off with Russel as a QB and he sucks too. I love the Cards, this would be bad. Though he may surprise by doing good but come on…Really.

That thought makes me nervous.

4. By Chris Waldrop on May 30, 2011 | Reply

Even though there’s really no news, I appreciate you keeping us informed.

5. By AndyStandsUp on May 30, 2011 | Reply

I know you from somewhere but can’t quite put my finger on it.
    Urban?
    Former WR from the AZ Cardinals?
    Country singer “You’ll think of me”?

Or the team employee that was placed on unpaid furlough to make a statement that owners are facing financial crisis to back their claim in the upcoming lawsuit?

What a crock. If ownership wants to explain the realities to giving one of the few people that actually keep the NFL relevant right now payless break, please feel free to give them my personal info and contact me.

That said, welcome back Darren.

6. By R Robles on May 30, 2011 | Reply

If they want a 1st round pick for Kolb lets do it BUT Trent Cole has to come along too.

7. By Eazy E on May 31, 2011 | Reply

Cardinals please don’t touch him for 2 2’s or a 1 or a 1 and more. A 3 is the highest I would go and he would still be my 4th option ”maybe” behind 1st mcnabb, 2nd vy, 3rd carson(bengals saying they won’t trade him) or orton, then kolb. Sorry but I see scott mitchell and rob johnson all on kolb so far. Early couple good starts and some not so good starts, no thanks. McNabb is already proven and is ready for revenge and redemption from people saying he’s past his prime and other insane comments like he didn’t have without question THE WORST SUPPORTING CAST IN THE LEAGUE in washington(RBs, WRs, TEs, O-LINE, DEFENSE, AND COACHING), Brady couldn’t have done better with that poor crap in d.c. No wonder why he didn’t have a mcnabb like season. VY would be 2nd because he is an awesome talent. His maturity ”issues” in my mind are way overblown, the man wins games and that is ultimately the goal right? Carson and Orton are tied at 3. The bengals look like their not budging on Carson’s trade request, that is senseless like that whole organization, but he’s still tied for my number 3. Orton is very interesting because he had a pretty good season with 20 tds and 9 ints, but they(pro football stats people) said he was one of the worst in the red zone at 3 behind d.a. and clausen. I counter that by saying denver had NO running game and denver overall team wasn’t good last year. Kolb would come in after the first 3 options, hopefully it stops a donovan who is 1st. Bulger and hasselbeck aren’t even worth mentioning as being a cardinal, please!!!

8. By Eazy E on May 31, 2011 | Reply

Donovan and VY also most likely will be released and we would save our picks if we nab them instead of a kolb.

9. By darthcard on May 31, 2011 | Reply

I want a# 4 Kolb cardinals jersey. This lockout is torture.

10. By joe bianchi on May 31, 2011 | Reply

arizona should have taken a quarterback in the draft,now they might to look at free agency or trade?P.S get rid of the 3rd stringer.

11. By Peter in Canada on May 31, 2011 | Reply

Darren – I think we are all looking forward to the end of the speculation. Kolb has been discussed ad nauseum and the consensus seems to be that he is not worth a middle to high first round pick but a low first maybe. The question to be answered is would Kolb make the Cards good enough to be a low first round picker. Your thoughts.

12. By Card's Refugee on May 31, 2011 | Reply

Welcome back! What do you think would be more palatable to teh Crds? Giving up one 1st rounder or two 2nd rounders for Kolb? I am leaning more towards the two 2nds.

13. By Darren Urban on May 31, 2011 | Reply

JoeVero —

RE: Faneca

Kind of seems like a moot point right now.

14. By Darren Urban on May 31, 2011 | Reply

Anand —

RE: Kolb/WCO

I think Kolb’s ability in a WCO has to be a concern. Whether it is or not, I have not been able to ask (nor would I expect an answer). Any new QB is going to have a learning curve on a new team, whether it was Kolb, Bulger, Palmer, whomever. That’s the bad part about losing the offseason to the lockout.

15. By Darren Urban on May 31, 2011 | Reply

Peter/Cards Refugee —

RE: Kolb value

So hard to say what Kolb is worth. Just read an ESPN article today saying Orton is a better choice than Kolb in the first place. I suppose I’d rather not give up a first-round pick if it was my decision. Honestly, I would rather see a 2 and a 3 for Kolb rather than 2 2’s, but then again, you could spread the hit over two drafts with two 2s.

16. By jocards on May 31, 2011 | Reply

Well we are losing the offseason to this lockout, is anybody else starting to think we might just lose more than just the offseason? I am. Here we are looking June right in the face and still there is no movement toward a resolution that I know of…I know there is time to get things worked out but the league and the NFLPA have been down this road before…they have already shown that they are willing to sacrifice regular season games in the past. To do so again is not out of the question. Darren, I know you’ve expressed doubt that this will impact the regular season directly…are your thoughts the same today?

17. By Mark, in Chandler on May 31, 2011 | Reply

If there are regular season games missed before the season starts then Kolb’s value goes down. Teams will start to wonder if it would be better to weather a truncated season with a fill in and then go after Kolb in free agency. If FA starts before the end of the summer than I think the price the Cards will be pay is a 2012 1st rd pick and Beanie Wells. I suspect the Cards know this and are willing to make the trade. ( Whiz and Graves often references the FA market when talking about Williams getting drafted.)

At face value that seems steep but if you look at the trade through the draft-points system it looks better. Assuming the Cards end up picking 20th in 2012 with Kolb on the team; adding the value of the 20th pick with the value of the 31st pick (where Beanie was picked), then you land around the 8th round pick. Most would have picked Kolb with the 8th round pick in the last draft.

Do I think Kolb is worth what is tantamount to 2 lower 1st round picks? no. And until FA starts, Kolb will be ripped apart like every QB who was taken in the 1st round this past draft. But do I think he is worth more than about every QB in the draft… Yes. He is over valued as is every QB lately. But Kolb would serve as a healing balm to a fan based who is pretty much annoyed with both player union and owners. (I mean really, unpaid furloughs and pay cuts before you have actually lost any money! That is tacky, tasteless, and unethical. I consider myself more owner friendly than union friendly in this dispute and I do not want the NFL to become like MLB, but this “cost-saving measure” really rubs me the wrong way and I am not the one losing income!) In the end Kolb or Orton will likely be in a Cardinals uniform next year.

18. By Big Red Fan on May 31, 2011 | Reply

Darren –

Were you really placed on unpaid furlough? Good grief . . . .

19. By Darren Urban on May 31, 2011 | Reply

jocards —

RE: Lockout span

Ask me again in July. Right now, I remain optimistic.

20. By stevedco on May 31, 2011 | Reply

Orton seems like a better fit, if you believe Skelton can be your long term answer at QB.

Orton is not a leader but with Fitz on the team that won’t be too much of an issue. He can throw the ball and hasn’t been in a WCO his entire career. He was able to pick up McDaniels offense quickly which is also a great sign for him making a difference whenever the season starts.

Kolb is expensive unless he turns into the player many think he can be. Reid knows QBs so letting him go even for a 1st rounder if he is a franchise QB seems strange.

Darren glad you are back but still upset with the Bidwill’s for making the middle guys suffer is this whole mess and by basically shutting down this site for a week making the fans suffer. (Yes, I know the two aren’t equal. One is real life and the other a hobby.)

This lockout mess needs to end soon. I refuse to sign up for Sunday Ticket or book any trips to Phoenix as we don’t know if or when there will be a season.

I’m thrilled Warned stood up and said something but it is time for some active players to speak out and use some common sense. At least get back to the table and mae a counter offer.

21. By maham on May 31, 2011 | Reply

Daren:

What are the Cardinal players up to? Are they still having organized working out together?

Last i heard was a 2/3 weeks ago when Fitz got some people together.

Whats new on that front?

I haven’t seen anything on here in a while about what the players are up to. I’m tired of hearing on ESPN what all the other teams are up to.

22. By Darren Urban on May 31, 2011 | Reply

Maham —

RE: Workouts

Kent Somers wrote today the workouts continue.

23. By Ken on May 31, 2011 | Reply

THE NFL HAS TAKEN IT’S FANS FOR GRANTED! They are too comfortable knowing that when the season starts, the fans will be there. Maybe its time the fans START A PROTEST to end this lockout.

24. By CJ Perry on May 31, 2011 | Reply

I don’t understand all of the talk about Kolb. Don’t get me wrong, he showed some good numbers in the few games he played, but it’s just that. He’s only played a few games. The Eagles seem to be wanting top dollar for a guy who has potential but isn’t proven.

I’m especially hesitant considering how we could get Bulgar or possibly McNabb in free agency with no trades needed. While they are both past their prime, so was Warner. Orton or Palmer might also be good veteran fits and seem to be a cheaper possibility than Kolb if their teams are willing to trade.

I know there is an upside with Kolb being younger, but that just makes him a greater risk. High risk can often bring high reward, but more often it just leaves you bankrupt. I don’t think we should bet so much on him.

25. By John Smith on May 31, 2011 | Reply

I happened to be at the Just Sports store yesterday, and noticed they had DRC jersey on the clearance rack. I asked the saleperson why this was case , and he communicated the rumor has the CARDS trading DRC and either a 1st or 2nd round pick to the Eagles for Kolb. Although Kolb may be a nice pick up, do you give up on DRC plus a high draft choice for an unproven QB, especially since DRC was a Pro Bowler just two seasons ago? I think this would be a major mistake if we go this route. What do you think????

26. By Patrick on May 31, 2011 | Reply

Truth is, even if Kolb came to Arizona he would be forced to compete with John Skelton (bigger, younger, stronger, faster, smarter and more upside), and I doubt he’s going to like that. He’s wants to leave Philly because he is already competing with Vick a guy 2 years removed from football. I understand the situation, but you fan-boys who continuously praise Kolb and want to get a deal done don’t have a clue… I like the guy; I just don’t like the idea of giving up an arm and a leg just to get him. Franky, I have to believe that Whisenhunt and our FO have more sense than making a lob-sided trade.

I think this team would be much better off starting John Skelton, he seems like he’s smart with the football and don’t make costly turnovers. As long as the Cardinals can keep the TO percentage low they should be able to win more games.

27. By Haggis Bob on May 31, 2011 | Reply

1. Welcome back.
    2. Some folks wanted us to draft a QB with our #1 pick, why not use it on a player who has weathered a few seasons and still shows an up-side.
    3. McNabb, Bulger and VY are backup material at this time. Carson is done, sad to say, a la Barry Sanders.
    4. Does Beanie has any ‘suspect’ tattoos? That might expedite his departure via trade.
    5. The longer this lockout holds the better the chances of John getting the start as QB.
    6. I wonder if Fitz has done any traveling recently? Like say to Denver or Philly? Do a little recon?
    7. I’m guessing the coaching staff can still talk to each other? No excuses about not being on the same page.

28. By LB on May 31, 2011 | Reply

“I am looking forward to the time when we can talk about this as after-the-fact analysis instead of speculation.”

Amen.

29. By Darren Urban on May 31, 2011 | Reply

John Smith —

RE: DRC

I do not think the Cards will trade DRC.

Moreover, I certainly don’t believe Just Sports should be making business decisions based on the rumor mill. Yikes.

30. By brad oneill on May 31, 2011 | Reply

Kolb is worth more than a first round pick because he has league experience, but he doesn’t have the wear and tear. He has the skills and you don’t have to worry about how he will handle the pressure of being a qb inn the league.

He is as close to plug and play as one could hope for. Look back over our previous #1 picks and tell me if any of them were as ready as kolb is?

31. By Redrage24 on May 31, 2011 | Reply

I have no idea what people are thinking? kolb is a great pick up and where ever he goes he will be a franchise qb. He is the one guy right now that can put us back in the playoffs year after year

32. By richard moreno on May 31, 2011 | Reply

Get kolb here as soon as possible… Hes the best option now over all the other candidates. The only other FA i like is orton..but honestly hes not sexy enough sorry. doesn’t mean id be mad if we had him, kolb just represents a promising long relationship with upside to his career and this team. And Why do people say carson is perfect for this offense?? He has a long delivery in my opinion. Hes the true definition of a west coast QB.. Last i checked he played college in pro style/westcoast USC and played on a pro style team that passed alot because of the name of the receivers.Also unless wiz is gonna hold that promise and run the ball and start going under center, ill pass on palmer. Kolb is the guy now AND over nxt yrs daft class of QBs. Ya Kolb is a high risk, high reward but so are 1 round daft picks. anybody whos says andrew luck steps into the league and is one of the top tier QBs, need their head check.Not to say he wont be but you earn it in this league, now kolb is far from earning all praise but he has stepped on that field as a pro and had some success against good competition.. Kolb is the guy and people are starting to wonder if he will be able to transition from a west coast team to what the cards run but last i check the guy played at U of Houston and was recruited by Oklahoma State and Texas Tech two school that i would say run a similar passing game the cards do.. Kevin kolb again is the man but fair return is a must. im okay with draft picks but not impact players like DRC or other starters except Hightower hes the only starting player i see as expendable in a trade.THE ONLY..

33. By Haggis Bob on May 31, 2011 | Reply

Kolb is not worth more than a 1st round pick. He has not completely proven himself because he has yet to play a complete season. As a starter in 2010, he was knocked out with a concussion in the first game of the season. He did get to start again in week 4 and in week 6 got NFC player of the week for defeating the Falcons and going 23 of 29, 326 yards, 3 td’s and 1 pick. He finished the season with a 76.1 rating and a total of 7 td’s and 7 picks. Still think he is worth an extra pick?

I might have just talked myself out of thinking he is actually worth the 1st round pick, but when you need something badly, you are willing to pay more for it just to get it.

34. By tyman on May 31, 2011 | Reply

Ok Kolb is a good QB to pick up, but.!!! Mcnabb is training with the team right now and orton has a great track record of being the underdog that somehow can win with sub par teams in my opinion. I say mcnabb or orton before kolb espcialy if the price is crazy. DONT sign Bulger!!!!pls… not another bad season.

35. By Canadian Red Bird on May 31, 2011 | Reply

There is not a team out there that would be so stupid to surrender a first round pick for Kevin Kolb. Just because Andy Reid said that there was a team out there that offered a 1st rounder for him doesn’t mean that he’s telling the truth. Think about it; what is he supposed to say?
    Come on Cardinal fans, get real. A second rounder or maybe a third rounder are more than enough for a concussion prone, unproven QB. I support the Vince Young, Donavan McNabb, Kyle Orton options triple fold to giving up the future for Kolb scenario.
    I wish I could say that I have more confidence in Whiz and the brain trust.to make the prudent move. Heck we still have Russ Grimm running the show on the line; that’s a huge question mark.
    According to the comments either on this or the AZ CARDINALS site; the overwhelming consensus is that we don’t want to give up the future for Kolb.

36. By sport245245 on May 31, 2011 | Reply

EasyE is so right on, I thought he was reading my mail. Amazed at how completely I agree with his post.

37. By Eazy E on May 31, 2011 | Reply

Kolb just ain’t all that good from what i’ve seen so far and not worth a high draft pick or picks. Scott Mitchell or Rob Johnson clone right now, couple good few starts and some bad ones. Both scott and rob weren’t good when they finally got their starting jobs.

38. By Eazy E on Jun 1, 2011 | Reply

Besides, Donovan worked out at the larry fitzgerald workouts and with the cardinals team with them, you think they aren’t telling mcnabb some of the plays. He’s getting comfortable with them and why not!

39. By Dre on Jun 1, 2011 | Reply

I have heard reports of Fitz wanting Kolb and also talking to him about coming to AZ.

Eazy E. when your picture is on a billboard somewhere I might be interest in reading your stuff but until then…give me a break.

Kolb was drafted in the 2nd rd. so give them what the spent to get him. Kolb wants out and Andy Reed rather answer question about the game instead of which QB will start in press conferences and interviews.

This is a eazy deal to be made, so don’t complicate it folks. We also can bring veteran QBs like Bulger or Donovan as insurance. I would stay away from VY because of locker room issues. Anyone who sits in front of a camera and says words like “his haters” has problems.

Klye Orton is a back up at best….I would not mine having him as #2.

“No distraction…just football” is the message I want to see and hear this year.

Hopefully, we can improve our running game and overall defense to give our QB a chance to find himself in the our offense. It’s really is pointless to bring in any QB if we can’t give them a chance to show us what they have….

40. By Eazy E on Jun 1, 2011 | Reply

Sport245245-

Thanks alot. Just trying to make sense of the kolb hype! Don’t touch him!!!

41. By John on Jun 2, 2011 | Reply

I just don’t know.

42. By 949Cardsfan on Jun 2, 2011 | Reply

Easy E

How about Jamarcus Russell, Joe Webb, or Troy Smith, you probably think they’re better than Kolb too. Who do you think your kidding? Everyone can see right through your ignorant opinions. I really wish Darren would have locked you out, after you so utterly crashed and burned last year on the Pat Tillman war hero topic. Your’re a joke!

43. By cdubbbbbb on Jun 2, 2011 | Reply

Kolb is worth one of our running backs and a 3rd rd pick at most. DRC??? If they trade DRC they are dumbasses, same with Peterson.

44. By Eazy E on Jun 2, 2011 | Reply

949 Cardsfan-

What the hell are you talking about? I never talked about pat tillman??? Last year or any year? Kolb in my opinion, isn’t worth a 1, 2 2’s, or a 1 and more. I’d only give as high as a 3 for him and he would still be my 4th option behind mcnabb, vy, carson/orton, and then kolb. He hasn’t proven anything except he can carve up a then-bad chiefs defense and get whooped by teams such as tennessee, saints, etc. You got the wrong person dude and i’m talking about the tillman thing and the kolb thing.

45. By Kaleb on Jun 3, 2011 | Reply

I like Kolb, and i think we need to pursue him without getting rid of any defensive players. I also am very excited to see ryan williams play, i watched some tape and he has a very flashy running style. Could be in for a treat there. AND For everyone who is saying tank the 2011 season, you must have forgotten that this is Fitz’s contract year, how do you think our only franchise player is going to feel about us tanking a season that we could have performed well in. An NFL players career is short, and when a franchise player that likes to win sees his team “tank” a season, it could weigh heavily into his decision of staying or moving on. The right move is to pursue Kolb and if he performs moderately well (which is usually enough to win the NFC West) then we will likely be able to re-sign Fitz, which is really important, because authentic jerseys arent cheap, and I bought his.

46. By Mario on Jun 3, 2011 | Reply

Kolb is not worth a 1st round pick….period.

47. By Scott H on Jun 4, 2011 | Reply

My gosh, can people get over their claims that McNabb should be our QB simply because he lives in Arizona and is having some workouts with Cardinals players??? Seriously? His address makes him the guy we should get? Geez, maybe I should move to Glendale…I guess that would make me a candidate as well, right? C’mon….his career in Washington lasted all of 14 weeks and they are just counting the days until they release him. And this doesn’t tell anybody anything??? That’s about as loud and clear as you can get

As for Kolb, it amazes me that no one is allowed to make case for him being a good QB because he has played so few games as starter. Yet, these same people will say he stinks and compare him to Scott Mitchell ( stupidest thing I’ve ever heard ) based on the same number of starts. You can’t have it both ways, folks. Fact is, he is un-proven. I’m on his bandwagon because I think he has tremendous potential and up-side. But he is going to prove himself somewhere in the NFL this year. I hope it happens here. And NOT in Sam Fran or Seattle.

48. By Scott H on Jun 5, 2011 | Reply

Mario –

RE: “kolb is not worth a first round pick…period.”

You really think so after the hell we went through last year without a decent QB??? WITH a very good QB, the Cardinals were a legit Super Bowl contender during the 2 previous seasons. Then in 2010, without a good QB, we went straight to the bottom of the worst division in football. When you hear people talk about the Cardinals right now, many of them say the same thing – with a good QB, they are right back to winning the NFC West and back in business. And I happen to agree with that. And if that is accurate, then how is that NOT worth a first round pick??? Yes, I want Kevin Kolb here and I would prefer that it NOT take a first round pick to get him. I’m not crazy or stupid. (OK, debatable ) But if anyone can guarantee me that Kolb would get this team back to winning a division this year? I give up a first round pick in a heartbeat. Trouble is, no one can make any such guarentees, so…but my point is this – for ANY QB who will get this team back on track right now, I would gladly give up a first round pick. And I would do it because this team can win NOW and all they need is a solid QB to do it.

PS – make that a solid QB whose name is NOT McNabb.