• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

A-Dub emerges, and some other stuff

Posted by Darren Urban on June 13, 2011 – 5:53 pm

Figures on a day where I escaped up to Flagstaff with family to visit a life-long friend, there have been a smattering of news and notes from the Cards that I feel the need to string together in a post:

– The biggest news of the day? Adrian Wilson is on Twitter (@adrian_wilson24, and his avatar is priceless as he tries to get the point across that it is indeed his account and not a fake). When I talked to Adrian last offseason about the Twitter back-and-forth between Darnell Dockett and Vernon Davis, it was an arena he swore he’d never be a part of. Things change.

– OK, maybe that wasn’t the biggest news. It was the newest news. But Wilson also did an interview with XTRA 910′s Mike Jurecki, talking about that abductor injury he suffered last season and its affect on his 2010 season. The Pro Bowl safety said he suffered the injury “probably at the middle to the end of October” but, as expected, refused to blame the injury for any troubles he might have had on the field. That said, he noted a couple of times, “I’m a pretty good player” as an answer to the notion he was losing a step.

“It wasn’t as bad as it first happened as it was as the season went on. I’m not making excuses for the type of season I had because it was definitely unacceptable from my standards, coach (Ken) Whisenhunt’s standards and definitely the fans’ standards. I understand the fans’ frustrations … I’m not out to really to prove anyone wrong. I am a star in this league, period, so there is no question about what I can do. I am just staying focus and trying not to listen to what everyone is saying. The injury had nothing to do with the type of season I had, to be honest with you. I decided to play on it and that was my decision. At the end of the day I had to go out and produce and I didn’t produce.”

He added he will use it as motivation. “One bad season isn’t going to erase all the good things I’ve done,” Wilson said.

– By the way, USA Today rated A-Dub the fifth-best safety in the NFL, behind Troy Polamalu, Ed Reed, Nick Collins and Eric Berry.

– Wide receiver Steve Breaston, hitting it big last week with his poem about the lockout (the man is flat-talented as a writer and he can deliver a poem too), went on ESPN’s “First Take” to talk about “A League Deferred.” “Stevie Phantom” said he was frustrated with the labor situation and wanted “to get some emotions out.” About his poetry, Breaston said he’s been writing since seventh grade and performed some spoken word in New York recently. “It helps me express my feelings and is a stress reliever.”

– Former Cards tight end Leonard Pope, now with the Chiefs, saved a child from drowning.

– Former Cards defensive tackle Mao Tosi — now we are going way, way back — was featured on the “Today Show” for founding “Alaska Pride,” which raises money to help kids in need reach their potential. Tosi is from Alaska. It’s great Mao has gotten to this point in his life. I remember him as the big defensive tackle in the “crazy name” draft of 2000 (Jabari Issa? Sekou Sanyika?) and the fact he broke his tooth on Thanksgiving one year while having dinner at teammate Russell Davis’ house, and Davis made sure everyone knew it was coincidence and not his wife’s cooking that caused the dental damage.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

23 Responses to “A-Dub emerges, and some other stuff”

1. By tom on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

im sick of nobody giving rhodes credit as a top safety… match his numbers up with guys like oj atogwe and rolle through their careers and hes better… last year he was our best player in my opinion and he needs to get some credit. i think hes better than rolle and was a supporter of releasing rolle last year. what do you think darren?

2. By Darren Urban on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

Tom –

RE: Rhodes

I think Kerry had a solid year last year, I don’t think the Cards lost anything in translation from Rolle and I agreed with Adrian that Rhodes should have been the Card with a Pro Bowl nod.

3. By Kurt on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

Kerry seemed a class act last year, something Rolle couldn’t accomplish, remember all those stupid unsportsmanlike penalties…..

4. By AndyStandsUp on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

Wilson, sooner than later, is going to be on the downside of his career.
    (And Adrian, I know you read the press clippings, so I hope I don’t offend you; it’s a fact of life.) Cards need to address the SS spot shortly. (If you find me tickets, I COULD move you ahead of Reed.)
    Pope should consider himself luckier (?) than Joe Delaney in the same situation.
    As for Tosi, better to break a tooth on cooking than to fall out of a window while horse playing (Calvin Pace) or break your hand when answering the phone (Thomas Jones).

5. By Eazy E on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

I love the swagger and confidence from a-wil. He is a great player. Rhodes did have a great year too. I like eric berry, but already over a-wil isn’t right. They just going by last year specifically, nope.

6. By Jesse Robles on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

Rhodes is one of the main reasons our Secondary is going to be ridiculous this season. Read Sam Acho has been working out with Adub too. Hopefully Sturdivant can get going as well, with Washington and Schofield hopefully working their butts off. I said last year our D was going to be good, and they scored a lot of touchdowns and kept us in a lot of games, basically beat the Saints. Next years D is going to be way better, having Ray Horton coming in along with Patrick Peterson. I am excited to see Dan Williams in this Scheme, freaking monster. We have playmakers every where. I know we need a QB, we will get one. Defense Wins Championships. We needed a way tougher Defense, hopefully it is here.

7. By Walter L on Jun 13, 2011 | Reply

I still think putting A-Dub 5th is a snub. Top three is fair, but being a Cards fan, he’s #1. Just prove all the haters wrong again this season, they’ll have to look this way with the D we’re about to sport! I BELIEVE!

GO CARDS! #1 in the NFC West!

8. By Jeff Gollin on Jun 14, 2011 | Reply

(OT) – Darren: Care to comment on a recent report listing Cardinals as one of a half-dozen or so teams said to have “slashed staff payroll?” (Is this actually so? To place this in proper context – if true, what is the actual percentage of NFL teams who did or didn’t slash payroll?

I’d still like to offer my suggestion that, in lieu of future pay/personnel cuts, the Bidwills consider paying members of the Cardinal staff to work for various community non-profit groups – and recoup all or part of the payroll expenses by taking a charity tax write-off.

9. By joe67 on Jun 14, 2011 | Reply

I agree. I think Rhodes was an improvement last year. If he can do as well this year, and I think he will, and Wilson does come back, along with our cb’s, we should have one heck of a backfield.

10. By Darren Urban on Jun 14, 2011 | Reply

Jeff –

RE: Report

I have no knowledge of that around the league, other than the same stories you have been reading.

11. By brad oneill on Jun 14, 2011 | Reply

i love that poem by steve. steve if you read these comments you should check out a poet by the name of jon sanders he is a pro basketball player and a deep thinking wordsmith.

12. By cards62 on Jun 14, 2011 | Reply

I agree with Tom that Kerry Rhodes was our best defensive player last year. I am also very excited about watching our secondary play next year. I am a little concerned about Wilson, but I am hoping it was the injury last year that brought down his play and I hope Horton will have some surprises with our personnel.

I am still worried about our front 7 ability to pressure the QB and stop the run. Williams will be key. DD I love but we need a lot more than him. I think our draft was okay, but I was not crazy about our draft. I hope I am wrong.

We of course must sign at least one and I hope 2 veteran QBs next year or our year is over again before it begins. I think Whiz learned this lesson well from last year.

Proud of Pope for savng the child. Was hoping he would be a good one for us when we drafted him out of Georgia, but just didn’t happen.

Go Cards

13. By Jesse Robles on Jun 14, 2011 | Reply

Read this, you will be very excited.

14. By Chris B on Jun 14, 2011 | Reply

You’re busted Darren. I saw on Adubs posts that he responded to “cardschatter”…. tsk tsk. ;)

15. By CZarr on Jun 14, 2011 | Reply

Off topic question about rules. In ’72 they changed a rule regarding missed field goals. The rule states that a field goal can be returned out of the end zone if it is missed and caught in play by the defensive team. My question is, where does the ball get spotted after the returning player is downed? Does the ball go back to the line of scrimmage for the kick or does it advance to where the returning player was downed?

16. By Darren Urban on Jun 14, 2011 | Reply

CZarr –

RE: Missed FG.

I believe, if you make the effort to make the return, the ball goes to wherever it is returned. But I’d have to double-check that.

17. By Darren Urban on Jun 14, 2011 | Reply

Chris –

RE: Wilson tweet

Accidentally hitting reply with no message attached does not count … :)

18. By Scott H on Jun 14, 2011 | Reply

Jesse Robles -

While I think our secondary has the POTENTIAL to be very good, they are only going to approach that potential if the D-line and the LB’s are playing MUCH better in front of them. And that is no sure thing, sorry to say. These guys were not very good at getting pressure on opposing QB’s last year and the secondary paid the price. I am hopeful that this year we will see a greatly improved defense overall but as the saying goes – it all starts up front. And when the guys up front aren’t getting it done…it puts entirely too much pressure on the guys downfield. Good QB’s will beat you every time when they are not being pressured.

Not trying to ne negative, but let’s also remember that DRC dropped WAAAAY off last year….again, loaded with potential but hasn’t yet proven that he can be consistently good.

19. By brad oneill on Jun 14, 2011 | Reply

sine we cant comment on articles i will comment here. when you were summarizing schofields rookie accomplishments you left off that strip of the ball he made in his first game on special teams. that made me a huge fan of his right from the git go.

20. By Todd and Misty on Jun 14, 2011 | Reply

A DUB YOU ARE THE S****! Okay, off topic, I’m of the life long as long as they have been in Arizona, Cardinals fan type! I just traveled 1000 miles from South Eastern Arizona to Elko Nevada to work. Temporary fer sure. I do believe I and my beautiful co pilot are the only Cardinals fans in Nevada. We are of the 100% loyal and faithfull type. Nothing but rayder, fortywhiner and dinver fans up here. It sucks! Our presence is known and will be till the day we once again lay our eyes upon that WELCOME TO ARIZONA sign. We are very passionate about our Cardinals! Therefore, ARIZONA CARDINALS are being represented in every pub and casino in our path in Nevada and will be till our return. We are, at this moment covering ourselves in Cardinal red and fixing to PAINT THIS TOWN RED! Wish us luck for we are two! You’re the best Darren!

21. By Jesse Robles on Jun 14, 2011 | Reply

Scott H,
    Lets also note the Cardinals Defensive Coordinators have been worse than their Defense has played. Cardinals Defense has been covering that coaching hole for a couple of season. Bill Davis… Clancy Pendergast??? The Cardinals need a John Lott Defensive Coordinator, bottom line.

22. By Sec 113 Rw 10 on Jun 15, 2011 | Reply

I cannot wait to see A-Dub, Rhodes, DRC, and (introducing) Peterson take over the back field with Horton at the helm!!!

Dockett, Campbell, & Williams have to be licking their chops on the opportunity these guys are going to give them up front!

23. By Scott H on Jun 16, 2011 | Reply

Jesse Robles -

No arguement there. Pendergast may not end up in the Hall Of Fame but after Bill Davis? Clancy was starting to look like friggin Dick Lebeau to me!!! But I agree with what you say about the coordiantors. We can only hope that we have nowhere to go but up from here. Hard to believe it could be any worse than it’s been the last few seasons…