Beanie: “I’m definitely not striking out”

Posted by Darren Urban on June 16, 2011 – 10:03 am

Running back Beanie Wells was on “The Chuck and Vince Live” show this morning on The Fan AM 1060, and while he’s obviously going to portray confidence, he also made it clear he understands his opportunities to show something — at least in Arizona — are probably dwindling.

“This is definitely going to be my year without a doubt,” Wells said. “This is my third year and three strikes and you’re out, and I’m definitely not striking out. I am ready to tear it up. It’s my time and I am ready to go out and prove that.”

The funny thing is, Beanie getting off-track is really confined just to last season. He played well as a rookie and was clearly improving as the 2009 season went along. It was hard to think of him as anything but a potential breakout star as the Cards went to training camp last season. Then came the preseason knee injury in the fourth preseason game, and with the overall issues on offense all the way around, no offensive player had the kind of year they wanted to in 2010. Does Beanie take more criticism because of his high-profile and draft status? Probably. That’s how it work, however.

Like everyone else, though, Wells admitted he was “surprised” and thought it was “shocking” when the Cards took running back Ryan Williams with their second-round pick.

“I didn’t think we really needed a running back, especially in the second round,” Wells said. “But obviously they did. I just take it on as more competition and prepare the same way.” Later he added, “I wasn’t angry. You know the ins and outs of the business. If they don’t like the production at a position, they’re probably going to get another one. this game is like a candy store — if you don’t like the candy you taste, you get another piece.”

Interesting, when Beanie was asked about what he thought this meant for his job, he chuckled. “I didn’t really have a job. I wasn’t the starting running back, Tim (Hightower) was. I was just trying to compete to become the starting running back.”

We’ve talked about this before, but Williams’ arrival certainly clogs up the backfield situation. Until Williams can prove himself on the field, I expect everyone to stick around, but with Hightower’s fumbles and Wells’ apparent step-back last season, you could make the argument LaRod Stephens-Howling is the Cards’ running back on the sturdiest ground as we stand here on July June (thanks Sando) 16.

Beanie sounded like he’s about wait-and-see too. “I don’t know what to really think about (Williams’ arrival), other than to take it in stride.”

Tags: , , ,

33 Responses to “Beanie: “I’m definitely not striking out””

1. By Brandon on Jun 16, 2011 | Reply

Lsh is a beast and will be around years to come. Hopefully Williams will ignite some fire under beanie. We could have a Deangelo Williams/ Jonathon Stewart type backfield w Beanie and Williams… That would help out any qb in the league!

2. By Scharf on Jun 16, 2011 | Reply

I still personally think that Tim Hightower has more to offer than Beanie ever will. I mean, it takes a lot more to be a runningback than just running the ball and I believe Hightower has all the aspects you want out of a runningback besides fumbling. While his issues are there, he still has made progress which is more than I can say for Beanie. Hopefully Hightower keeps progressing and has a better O-Line to work with. Which, just to point out, he produced a pretty decent AVG and Yardage out of last years line.

3. By Mac on Jun 16, 2011 | Reply

I’m right there with you Scharf, Hightower is a legitimate running back that more support should be put behind. Cards should have attempted to beef up the O-line with the last draft to help Hightower and Wells vs just trying out another runningback. Williams is definitely a good rb, but so are HIghtower and Wells. I’m still backing Tim though.

4. By ross on Jun 16, 2011 | Reply

Come on Beanie.

5. By Chris on Jun 16, 2011 | Reply

Beanie is a Beast, Was very surprised we drafted a RB. He had a great his first year then he got hurt on a play that ANY rb would have been injured on if he got hit on the knee like that. But we could very well have the best 1-2 punch if this kid produces! I think Hightower is out of he next year we are not going to pay him what he wants

6. By Joyce on Jun 16, 2011 | Reply

Beanie always was and still is the best running back ever. You are deeply missed in Ohio but your spiritual season is about to explode. Minor set-backs only make us stronger, draw closer to God and allow him to bless you. Go Cardinals

7. By David on Jun 16, 2011 | Reply

Trade Wells to the Eagles as part of the Kolb deal

8. By Austin on Jun 16, 2011 | Reply

I have been a huge Hightower supporter from day 1. Although fumbling to me (especially in critical situations) is inexcusable, it is fixable. I beleive he and Breaston are the two most underrated players on the team. I hate the idea that neither are under contract. If we let either of them go we will regret it in the future.

9. By Alberto Sordi on Jun 16, 2011 | Reply

Both Hightower and Beanie dance too much. Hightower fumbles too much and Beanie was injured last year. Is it fair to compare?

10. By Andy M on Jun 16, 2011 | Reply

One of the three (Wells, HT, or Williams) has to be used to upgrade at another position. For my money, I think Williams is the most promising. Though in his third year, Beanie is still young and has enormous potential. I don’t buy that he is injury-prone or lacks a work ethic. Hightower, though an extremely competitive and intense player, is an overachiever with suspect stats. That is why he fumbles so much–he is trying to extract every single inch of every run. Nobody’s asking me, but I would try to move Tim.

11. By Scott H on Jun 16, 2011 | Reply

Like Beanie himself, I wanna see a monster year out of him. Seems like any time we draft a big-time running back, it just never works out. Or, should I say, it never works out HERE??? Garrison Hearst…Thomas Jones…dammmit, if Beanie Wells is gonna be a beast in the NFL, then let’s have it happen here!!!

12. By Kurt on Jun 16, 2011 | Reply

Beanie and Tim both need to hang onto the ball….period

13. By Bruce on Jun 16, 2011 | Reply

OL has to produce and did not. Not terrible but not good. Another RB is a gamble I would not have made over an OL. Maybe they have someone in mind on free agency?

14. By ross on Jun 16, 2011 | Reply

I like running backs who fight for every inch.

15. By AndyStandsUp on Jun 16, 2011 | Reply

I was wondering about the statement Wells made to the media about bringing Williams in to help him get acclimated to the NFL and why Ryan wasn’t one of the players announced at the workouts. Turns out his agent has advised him to be absent to avoid injury before getting his windfall. Also the article said the Cards wanted him to lose weight and so far he’s GAINED weight during the lockout, though he is working out at Virginia Tech.

16. By Darren Urban on Jun 16, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Ryan Williams

Link?

17. By AndyStandsUp on Jun 16, 2011 | Reply

Darren, I’m not smart enough to cut and paste (something about eating crayons and licking windows took precedent in high school), but it was the June 9th edition of Roanoke.com.
    And the weight gain was only a few pounds, but like you know, if you want people to read your stuff, you have to provide teasers.

18. By McNab's future on Jun 16, 2011 | Reply

Beanie please take my advices. Be a grown man a man that respect and fight for his job to feed his family. You’re very athletic and talented man, but you lack a mental and physical toughness. Be tough big boy. You need to stand up for carrer. If you don’t mind please tell these words to Early duocet. He needs to man up too.

19. By Brad on Jun 16, 2011 | Reply

McNab’s Future –

RE: Beanie’s mental and physical toughness.

Are you seriously slagging off Beanies physical and mental toughness? On what grounds? He played through injury all through college, just because he got injured doesn’t mean he lacks physical toughness, that’s playing through injuries, like he’s had to do his entire career up to date. And mental toughness, how does he lack that? What he lacks is an offensive line that can run block, he was always getting hit in the backfield, why? Poor blocking and cause Whiz in his wisdom only put him in on run plays (well 99% of the time) so D new exactly what was dialled up! TH has the advantage of being in on pass and run plays so D doesn’t know for sure what the play will be. If Beanie is going to be successful in ARI then Whiz has to put him in on both Run and Pass plays. If Beanie can’t get the pass plays right then bring in R Williams to be the lead back.

20. By Haggis Bob on Jun 17, 2011 | Reply

RE: Ryan Williams article from AndyStandsUp post

21. By Louisville Card on Jun 17, 2011 | Reply

Hi darren,

Another good story I appreciate all the stories that you’ve put together during the down time. I haven’t felt the need to post any comments until now though. It shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone that we drafted Williams with our second pick he was the best available player at a position we desperately needed to upgrade. Sure Tim and beanie have good numbers and can break some huge runs, but both always fumble in crucial situations. I’ve read so many post crucifying Whiz about not running the ball last year he had to do something. What’s he supposed to do even if one of them would break off a nice run when he would go back to them they would end up turning the ball over. He was pass happy because both of his running backs have butter fingers. Better to go three and out with incompletions then risk a game changing turnover.I just hope they both study some tiki barber game tape and learn how to carry the ball for whatever team they may be on next year.

I was wondering Darren, we are starting to get close to when training camp would be starting. So at what date do you think games will be missed if a deal doesn’t get done.

22. By cdubbbbbb on Jun 17, 2011 | Reply

I think Williams will lite a fire under wells, and we will move hightower. IMO

23. By Darren Urban on Jun 17, 2011 | Reply

Louisville Card —

RE: Camp date start

There hasn’t been anything officially said about it, but I know NAU and the Cards are still prepping like normal. What can’t be accounted for is how long a free-agency period will last before camp starts — don’t forget, teams actually have to build rosters (the Cards only have something like 50-something guys under contract as of right now) before they can practice.

24. By cards62 on Jun 17, 2011 | Reply

I agree with Beanie and others, We have 3 running backs in their prime and we needed TE, OLB or OL with this pick a whole lot more and the best TE in the draft was available as was a couple of excellent OLB. LSH is getting better and better and needs more carries now as does Hightower and Beanie. I would have given them 1 more year, and the defenses we played did not fear our passing game so this put more pressure on the running game and we just did not run the ball enough last season because our offense was soooooo bad.
    Beanie has the most to prove in 2011 and he really needs to run the ball hard.
    Go Cards!

25. By Richard Moreno on Jun 17, 2011 | Reply

I don’t think Beanie needed motivation just a chance on a consistent basis.. I appreciate Hightower and his character but come on he is not the guy especially your every down horse. That’s Beanies job but you have to give him downs and commit to the run WIZ. Personally i think the injury questions are overblown, I think he could have played earlier from his knee injury in preseason but Wiz for whatever reason seems to favor Hightower and his career to me it looked like he sat beanie all year to have a disappointing season so Hightower could audition his career elsewhere perhaps for a trade since under the old CBA he would have been tendered then traded this off season.. A Well/Williams with a dash of the Hy-pen backfield is very intriguing and exciting. JUST COMMIT TO THE RUN WIZ.. I like you Hightower but your just not in my vision plus Williams is a better version of YOU not Beanie.

26. By ross on Jun 17, 2011 | Reply

Beanie is a golden god.

27. By Richard Moreno on Jun 17, 2011 | Reply

I have to vent on Whiz.. Last year should have gone completely different for the offense, first off Lienart should have been our QB and our offense should have taken a traditional look (under the center more) which leads to balance play calling and run plays actually working when you stick to it, plenty of teams don’t get a lot of yards in the first half but beat down opponents in the second half and get em. Whiz saw Andersons big arm and said like all coaches do (and should do) and said i can coach him up. So he did, So he could hold on to his Kurt Warner play calling and vertical passing. Whiz needs to look at his game calling maybe give a call to Bill Cower and ask him how he eased him into play calling cause it seems hes lost his way. I understand we have Larry but great WR can get there numbers not matter what offense or playcalling, case in point last season.. RUN THE BALL

28. By ross on Jun 17, 2011 | Reply

Darren, you gotta blog coming on HT’s weak blocking from pro football focus? I think I disagree with their analysis but its interesting nonetheless.

29. By Richard Moreno on Jun 17, 2011 | Reply

Im sorry…… and Scharf…… you gotta be kidding me, No one should ever uter these words and be serious “it takes a lot more to be a runningback than just running the ball and I believe Hightower has all the aspects you want out of a runningback besides fumbling.” Im sorry your name was in there Hightower cuz i do like you but, besides running and not fumbling WHATS MORE IMPORTANT than running a ball and not losing it and your positions named is running back…….

30. By Jeff Gollin on Jun 19, 2011 | Reply

I don’t see this as 3 or 4 RB’s all competing for the same role.

Each RB brings something different to the table – Beanie brings a bigger more physical presence. Ryan is a slasher with home run potential – a larger version of LSH.

An offensive attack needs different components to “flavor the stew.” As such, all our RB’s figure to be important to our success in the near future.

31. By mistifry on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

“Exclusive” Interview w/ Beanie Wells – The Real Real Robinson Report
    “Exclusive” Interview w/ Beanie Wells – The Real Real Robinson Report
    Beanie Wells talks about his preparation for the upcoming season and his goal to reach 1,000 yards as well as the Ohio State controversy, Terrelle Pryor and the cardinals offensive lineup.

2. Jul 7, 2011: Word From the Birds BlogThe rookies and their impact «
  3. Aug 1, 2011: On the Rebound? 8 Potential Fantasy Football Bounce-Back Players for 2011