Revisionist History: Draft Daze

Posted by Darren Urban on June 17, 2011 – 3:24 pm

The latest in a series of offseason posts looking back:

For this installment, we check out what was being said on the day some current Cards were drafted …

– Back in 2001, Adrian Wilson was kind of an afterthought on the first day of the draft. Back then, there were two days of the draft, with rounds one through three on Saturday. The Cardinals had the second pick overall, so offensive lineman Leonard Davis was the BIG story. The Cards also took defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch – who turned out to be a pretty good player, but after two blown-out knees and a coaching change sent him packing from Arizona – and cornerback Michael Stone. I wonder how A-Dub feels when he thinks how the great Michael Stone has a better draft pedigree than him.

Wilson was a surprise pick in some ways, because the Cards needed defensive line help more. He was raw. The Cards even briefly considered using him at cornerback at the time, believe it or not. I love the jump headline – “Could be a keeper for the Cardinals.” Uh, yeah.

– There was no question that first day of the 2004 draft turned out awesome – Larry Fitzgerald, Karlos Dansby, Darnell Dockett – but that was what was thought at the time, too. While Fitz was celebrated, looking at Dockett’s quotes from the day resonate. “I’m going to be the next Anquan Boldin,” Dockett said, referencing Boldin’s outplaying of his draft status. And he was “disgusted” that teams passed on him before he went as the first pick of the third round. Turns out Darnell was right.

– The Cards traded up in 2007 to get Alan Branch, although it seems that it took until the end of 2009 and 2010 for Branch to really hit his stride. Of course, the big story of 2007 was the decision to take Levi Brown fifth overall (part one and part two here), but at the time, it didn’t seem as big of a deal as hindsight has portrayed. Of course, that draft was also highlighted by the late pick of Steve Breaston. It’s funny to see I thought Breaston’s big competition to make the team was LeRon McCoy.

– Then there was 2008, when the Cards got DRC and Calais Campbell on the first day. Apparently, one kidney and a small school wasn’t going to scare off the Cards from Rodgers-Cromartie, and his speed didn’t hurt. All things considered, that’s been a good pick – although we all understand DRC’s need for a big 2011.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

12 Responses to “Revisionist History: Draft Daze”

1. By D on Jun 17, 2011 | Reply

I miss Dave McGinnis’s slang and quotes…wonder if the Cards watched Adub’s utube video before they drafted him

2. By Richard Moreno on Jun 17, 2011 | Reply

Alan Branch i see you working.. Keep it up.. The guy is crashing the line right and left on run plays with some force and “little” pressure. Bring him back and please DON’T REGRESS

3. By AndyStandsUp on Jun 17, 2011 | Reply

And then there was Buster Davis, third round choice in 2007.

Whisenhunt: “One thing that resonates me there is ‘football player’. Those guys are football players and that’s what we feel Buster is.”

Davis: “I don’t have any weaknesses, I’ll be honest with you….I know I’m a complete player…If was 6-1, I would be a top 20 pick.”

And I’m still not sold on Branch.

4. By Nick on Jun 17, 2011 | Reply

Darren just wanna say thanks for keeping us interested during this boring offseason without anything to look foward to.

5. By Chris B on Jun 17, 2011 | Reply

I love the Breaston quote: “I think I am a good, solid receiver. But with coaching I have potential to be a better receiver.”

Funny thing is, he’s more valued as a receiver than a return “specialist”.

I love this draft history stuff. Buster Davis- “I don’t have any weaknesses”- nice… nice

6. By sport245245 on Jun 17, 2011 | Reply

I remember that game in which D.Dockett is running with a fumble, and his helmet gets knocked off, but he keeps running. I thought he was gonna take it to the house, but not, but I knew at that time he was gonna be a great player, just like he said. I’m still miffed that Anquan Boldin isn’t one this team. He should have retired a Cardinal. A Shame, real Shame.

7. By kyle t on Jun 18, 2011 | Reply

“BUST”er davis didnt even make it through the first few days of training camp, what a joke of a player.

overall i would have to say that dennis green has had better drafts than whiz, but whiz has found a few gems.

8. By John the draft guy on Jun 18, 2011 | Reply

Looking back at the 2007 draft, you can’t help but think the 2008 Superbowl would have turned out differently had we had this draft instead.
    1st round -Daryl Revis
    2nd round – Lamar Woodley
    3rd round – Stewart Bradley
    4th round Jermod Bushrod
    5th round – Breaston
    7th round – Ahmad Bradshaw

I know. Easy to look back now. I remember this draft well. At the time, I liked Adrian Peterson, but really liked Jamaal Anderson(DE)- Anderson has been a starter but has failed to live up to his draft pick. In the second round, I really loved Chris Houston (CB) . Again, Houston is a starter, but not a star.

I remember the Jets trading up to get Revis and wasn’t sure why. He was a good player, but …..
    I guess I can miss players just as easy as the Cards management can. :)

9. By brad oneill on Jun 18, 2011 | Reply

anyone want to read a pre draft article that really shows you who buster davis is!

10. By Richard Moreno on Jun 18, 2011 | Reply

I have no problem with what Buster Davis said about himself, cause if you don’t have confidence in yourself… who will? I’m not gonna speculate why he was cut cause I’m not a coach nor is my mind in that time frame.

11. By Kurt on Jun 18, 2011 | Reply

Whats encouraging about the Whiz era of drafts are the post draft free agent signings,

12. By Marlon Skrusinski on Jun 20, 2011 | Reply

Darren -

Thanks for accepting my suggestion. =)